PDA

View Full Version : Texans and the Media

Runner
04-11-2006, 09:04 PM
The media doesn't seem to be reporting much on what is happening in Reliant right now. Does anyone know why that is? Is it because they don't think anyone is interested in anything but the draft? Is Kubiak restricting access so as not to tip the Texans' hand to opponents?

If it is the media's choice, I think they are really missing out on some good stuff. We have a new system on both sides of the ball, and the coaches are evaluating the players that remain on our roster as well as free agent signees. They are slotting them into the systems right now. This would be good stuff to report!

I know some of you know people in the media. What's going on?

Runner
04-12-2006, 05:39 AM
Another fantastic article in the Chronicle - the Bush/Young debate for the Titans.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/3788165.html

Too bad they won't report on the o-line depth chart the coaches are working with. That would make for good reading and lively debate.

TEXANRED
04-12-2006, 07:16 AM
The media doesn't seem to be reporting much on what is happening in Reliant right now. Does anyone know why that is? Is it because they don't think anyone is interested in anything but the draft? Is Kubiak restricting access so as not to tip the Texans' hand to opponents?

If it is the media's choice, I think they are really missing out on some good stuff. We have a new system on both sides of the ball, and the coaches are evaluating the players that remain on our roster as well as free agent signees. They are slotting them into the systems right now. This would be good stuff to report!

I know some of you know people in the media. What's going on?
I don't think anyone outside of Houston cares about the Texans. Thats why the Dallas game is so important.

Runner
04-12-2006, 08:10 AM
I don't think anyone outside of Houston cares about the Texans. Thats why the Dallas game is so important.

I understand that - I'm talking about the local media; I should have been clearer.

I have a solution though! Here are two suggested column ideas:

1) Would Bush or Young perform better behind our revamped line?

2) How will Bush run against our revamped linebacking group in practice?

That way the reporter could spend at least two, maybe as high as three, sentences on the new line-ups before transitioning to what's really important (to them).

Samer
04-12-2006, 11:20 AM
After a 2-14 season do you think media would care for any team thta goes 2-14, let us remain underdogs and go out there and show everyone what we are really made out of this year

kcwilson
04-12-2006, 11:25 AM
Is Kubiak restricting access so as not to tip the Texans' hand to opponents?

If anything, the Texans are really the most predictable team right now. Their draft choice seems inevitable...

With exception of RT and SLB, the team seems to have a starting set of palyers, plus we are coming off a 2-14 season... not a lot of information to protect right now.

Fortunately, there is a possiblity of being able to surprise teams since they obviosuly don't build their teams to stop us... as opposed to many AFC South teams that *tried* to stack deep with 3 CBs last year to neutralize Stokley, Harrison, and Wayne. This could be the best time to strike with Indy early on our schedule since they won't have seen the new offense all that much.

Vinny
04-12-2006, 11:29 AM
This town hasn't been the same since the Post folded. A one newspaper town gets bad coverage.

Eyeguy
04-12-2006, 11:30 AM
This town hasn't been the same since the Post folded. A one newspaper town gets bad coverage.

AMEN!

Ibar_Harry
04-12-2006, 09:43 PM
If anything, the Texans are really the most predictable team right now. Their draft choice seems inevitable...

With exception of RT and SLB, the team seems to have a starting set of palyers, plus we are coming off a 2-14 season... not a lot of information to protect right now.

Fortunately, there is a possiblity of being able to surprise teams since they obviosuly don't build their teams to stop us... as opposed to many AFC South teams that *tried* to stack deep with 3 CBs last year to neutralize Stokley, Harrison, and Wayne. This could be the best time to strike with Indy early on our schedule since they won't have seen the new offense all that much.

We are at a disadvantage with all of our new players, but the above is a neutralizer. I feel the same way. If you keep the ball out of Manning's hands he gets nervous. If you can pressure him, he gets nervous. Without James they are going to have to make some adjustments. I think we have a real shot at them in the 2nd game.

Kaiser Toro
04-12-2006, 10:16 PM
I understand that - I'm talking about the local media; I should have been clearer.

I have a solution though! Here are two suggested column ideas:

1) Would Bush or Young perform better behind our revamped line?

2) How will Bush run against our revamped linebacking group in practice?

That way the reporter could spend at least two, maybe as high as three, sentences on the new line-ups before transitioning to what's really important (to them).

Not in Houston myself, but I check the chron each day. And it is awful that they do not have anyone documenting Kubiak's first 100 days.

CoastalTexan
04-12-2006, 10:41 PM
I agree, the sports writers suck. Thats why I say my cousin ("Barzilla", known to us here on the forum, who started the famous thread "Operation Bush") to take their place. He has 2 sports books to his name and would do a hell lot better job than these good ol boys. While I was in Iraq with once a week computer access he wrote Houston sports updates to me and I had more information out of those than reading the chronicle for months. But yeah we need some healthy competition to weed out the weak.

Double Barrel
04-12-2006, 11:27 PM
yeah, I'm not very impressed with our local media. Hopefully things will pick up after the draft, and coverage will definitely change once we start winning. Everyone loves a winner.

horn_omatic
04-12-2006, 11:29 PM
Vinny is so right. My dad just moved to east texas and gets the dallas paper and the sports page is 10 times better than the chronicle. Richard Justice is a ut homer, John Lopez is an aggie homer and John Mcclain is just a knuckle head. My god i cannot stand when i turn on 610 and McClain is on:brickwall . All he does is name drop and swing on the titans grapes. Oh yeah and how he acts like a movie critic, shut your hole McClain!

threetoedpete
04-13-2006, 12:10 AM
Agreed.
Houston has been and will always be a baseball town first. The only time that wasn't true was in 94' & 95' when the rockets were winning. Other than that, from January to October, it will be baseball. Untill a football team wins, it's going to stay that way. I often wondered why baseball could have a hot stove league and football could not. I will say the coverage is a lot better than it was twenty years ago. Brief snipettes from Joel Bushbaum once a week and that was it. At least now we get a little draft/ movement coverage. Probably has something to do with the internet. In other words, they wouldn't cover off season football if they had a choice. This is the second dead zone. The third will come after the draft, before camps start up. . To be honset, if it wasn't for the sports page, I'd of cancelled a long time ago.

Texans Horror
04-13-2006, 07:49 AM
...and John Mcclain is just a knuckle head.

I prefer "moose knuckle" to describe John McClain.

Ibar_Harry
04-13-2006, 09:59 AM
Where have the assistant coaches gone? Not even boo about Sherman or any of the other coaches other than may be Shan trying to deal with Mathis. Does Kubiak want it that way or is this just a lack of coverage thing?

I supose they don't want to tip their hand too much before the start of the season, but it would certainly be nice to know just a little bit. You know, wet the appitite kind of thing.

Oh, well, it's dead out there as far as news goes. Justice is still doing his thing on VY vs Bush, but other than that not much being said. I think if we go after someone at this point before the draft, it will be for a defensive player.

I think everyone is hunkered down now trying to figure out the draft and working with agents trying to negoiate the 1st round pick. Its going to be interesting. I still say money will be an issue and might well determine who we take with our 1st pick or if we trade down. I still don't think its set in stone as yet despite all of the comments to the contrary.

Runner
04-13-2006, 10:12 AM
Where have the assistant coaches gone? Not even boo about Sherman or any of the other coaches other than may be Shan trying to deal with Mathis.

The assistants are working with their units during off-season workouts. Pre-draft depth charts are roughed in. The "working with" includes instances of extra work and one-on-one coaching of players who need to improve in a specific area or two. There is a lot of evaluation and teaching going on.

It would be an exciting time to talk about, if we could.

Bullpen Drew
04-13-2006, 11:02 AM
It is better to stay under the radar for now....

we are going to be the dark horse in the NFL this year....we have to earn respect.

Runner
04-13-2006, 11:07 AM
It is better to stay under the radar for now....

we are going to be the dark horse in the NFL this year....we have to earn respect.

I don't think a description of the Texans projected o-line would set the rest of the league to scheming their defenses against us. :)

I'm not talking about national respect, I'm talking about supposed beat reporters.

Meloy
04-13-2006, 01:22 PM
This town hasn't been the same since the Post folded. A one newspaper town gets bad coverage. This may sound weird, but why can't someone create a website to offer news on Texans? I would enjoy reading interviews with new guys or those that are projected to be back ups like the new TE to back up Putz. Lance Zerline in his email seems to have access to venues like the combine. I read www.houstonprofootball.com but the articles do not seem to come frequent enough for me. The Chronicle does not satisfy my need for info.:drool:

LBC_Justin
04-13-2006, 02:08 PM
Agreed.
Houston has been and will always be a baseball town first. The only time that wasn't true was in 94' & 95' when the rockets were winning. Other than that, from January to October, it will be baseball. Untill a football team wins, it's going to stay that way. I often wondered why baseball could have a hot stove league and football could not. I will say the coverage is a lot better than it was twenty years ago. Brief snipettes from Joel Bushbaum once a week and that was it. At least now we get a little draft/ movement coverage. Probably has something to do with the internet. In other words, they wouldn't cover off season football if they had a choice. This is the second dead zone. The third will come after the draft, before camps start up. . To be honset, if it wasn't for the sports page, I'd of cancelled a long time ago.
Ummm No. Maybe recently. Football has always come first in Houston. Basketball picked up during the Hakeem days. It depends on how good our Baseball team is. Last year Houston seemed like a Baseball town and with Minute Maid Park Houston is becoming a baseball town. But as some one who spent a lot of their childhood at a semi-empty Astrodome watching the Astros I can assure you the statement "Houston has been and will always be a baseball town first." is just crazy talk. Baseball will always be second to Football in Houston. It may not seem that way right at this moment given that the Texans were the worst team in the NFL and the Astros went to the World Series, but I assure you as soon and the Texans get a winning run going you will see everyone's football spirit come out and stay out.

Porky
04-13-2006, 02:11 PM
Agreed.
Houston has been and will always be a baseball town first.

Apparently, you are a newcomer? I have lived here almost 30 years, and I can promise you this has always been a football town. Sure, the Astros are hot right now. They went to the WS. But, as one who has lived here since the 70's, saying this is a baseball town is just historically wrong.

As far as the chronic, NO team gets a ton of offseason coverage. Having said that, I have seen more this offseason on the Texans than just about any other year. Lots of op-eds, and pieces on the draft. Check in July, and tell me how many Rockets articles there are. There is never going to be the kind of in-depth coverage that us fanatics want in a major daily paper. Just not going to happen, so get a grip, and quit whining. :ok:

Ibar_Harry
04-13-2006, 02:26 PM
This may sound weird, but why can't someone create a website to offer news on Texans? I would enjoy reading interviews with new guys or those that are projected to be back ups like the new TE to back up Putz. Lance Zerline in his email seems to have access to venues like the combine. I read www.houstonprofootball.com but the articles do not seem to come frequent enough for me. The Chronicle does not satisfy my need for info.:drool:

Thanks, I added that to my list of sites. I see he feels about Moulds like I do. I keep saying we got a great deal on that one and, like him, may be the most significant FA we have picked up by far.

Runner
04-13-2006, 02:32 PM
As far as the chronic, NO team gets a ton of offseason coverage. Having said that, I have seen more this offseason on the Texans than just about any other year. Lots of op-eds, and pieces on the draft. Check in July, and tell me how many Rockets articles there are. There is never going to be the kind of in-depth coverage that us fanatics want in a major daily paper. Just not going to happen, so get a grip, and quit whining. :ok:

Lots of op-eds on Bush/Young and pieces on the draft (aka Bush/Young). I don't think it is whining to find that less than fulfilling or to have a little bit higher expectations. Whining. Nice turn of phrase.

I think it is interesting that they have completely redone the offensive line and no one here knows about it and apparently many fans don't care as long as there is one more article about Bush/Young coming. I thought that was one of our major problem areas and there would be some interest in what is going on.

the wonger need food
04-13-2006, 02:54 PM
Agreed.
Houston has been and will always be a baseball town first. The only time that wasn't true was in 94' & 95' when the rockets were winning. Other than that, from January to October, it will be baseball. Untill a football team wins, it's going to stay that way.

Uh.... what? Where's the headscratching animacon thingy?

Not sure how long you've lived in this baseball town, but I can assure you it is a football town. And a football state. No other sport even comes close.

Texans Horror
04-13-2006, 03:00 PM
That whole Friday Night Lights thing is a myth. Football is not king in Texas...

:sarcasm:

MightyTExan
04-13-2006, 03:07 PM
We got a little bit of "coverage":

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12286364/

It’s finally time for the Houston Texans to make their move. Making the playoffs in a division with Indianapolis and Jacksonville, not to mention Tennessee, would be stunning. But last year’s 2-14 disappointment was not expected, either.

With former Buffalo star receiver Eric Moulds and presumably No. 1 draft pick Reggie Bush joining David Carr and Andre Johnson, new coach Gary Kubiak should be able to construct an offense a whole lot better than No. 30. If they aren’t at least exciting with Bush, everybody will be surprised.

The defense was even worse than the offense at No. 31, including dead last against the run. So any real surprise will require major upgrading that Bush can’t supply. Kubiak can’t possibly outscore everybody.

aj.
04-13-2006, 06:15 PM
Baseball town? Yeahhhrrright.

I guess that's why Texans/NFL talk dominates sports talk radio year round....and not just this year because, you know...

As far as local newspaper coverage during the offseason, it's way below average for a market of this size. I read a lot of out of town sportspages every day and it's brutally obvious if you go to sportspages.com or redzone that the Texans are among the most sparsely covered teams by their home newspaper during the offseason, along with New Orleans and Carolina..

The first few years, we would get our ration of maybe one article a week out of Duarte or CT. Then they move Megan and JM into the beat roles and you think just maybe we might get more coverage, but no. I've bent McClain's ear on this several times and he denys that the Texans coverage is any worse than anywhere else.

They aren't into the serious fan interest stuff. If there's a train wreck, they are on it, but asking for some kind of informative offseason piece titled "Extreme Makeover" with all the details is just fantasy for information starved Texans fans.

I noticed that in today's print edition, the Chronicle ran a little wire copy piece about Leinart firing Steinberg. Didn't that happen about three days ago?

Jwwillis
04-13-2006, 10:28 PM
"Baseball town", is a head scratcher for sure. Man, 50,000 people came to the dome in the middle of the night to cheer the Oilers after they LOST the AFCC. All most Texans fans ask is not to be embarrased.

ClintonPortis26
04-13-2006, 11:13 PM
I rather be yall. Listan to what the media is saying about the Redskins. I mean its ridiculous...

"Dan Snyder is overpaying for high priced big time athletes!!!" (Or maybe were going aggresively at our most needed positions?)

"Team Chemistry is destroyed!" (Uh...we signed a total of 6 guys and traded for one guy. Not to mention we traded draft picks not players for the player we traded for.)

"Jason Campbell is the second coming of Doug Williams in his prime except better!!!!!....(2 minutes later) Jason Campbell is so overrated."

Don't worry, once Reggie Bush starts tearing it up. Your get Peyton Manning/Colts TV Coverage.

Hervoyel
04-13-2006, 11:21 PM
Another fantastic article in the Chronicle - the Bush/Young debate for the Titans.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/3788165.html

Too bad they won't report on the o-line depth chart the coaches are working with. That would make for good reading and lively debate.

Honestly, if I never see another article from John McClain on the subject of a Reggie Bush or Vince Young non-pick coming back to haunt the Texans then it will still be too soon. What does that clown think the Texans should do about it? It's not like the Texans can draft them both or everyone that might somehow benefit the Titans.

I think McClain just doesn't have anything else to write about.

Runner
04-14-2006, 12:09 AM
I think McClain just doesn't have anything else to write about.

Only because he hasn't looked.

Kaiser Toro
04-14-2006, 07:08 AM
Baseball is a dead sport.

Runner
04-14-2006, 08:14 AM
The Chronicle has an article about our defensive line today! I must give credit where credit is due. Maybe tomorrow they'll tell us Pitts is back at guard!