PDA

View Full Version : Bush to petition to wear #5 professionally

dirty steve
04-11-2006, 09:28 PM
mods, move if this has already been posted.

Updated: April 11, 2006, 3:06 PM ET
Bush will appeal to wear No. 5 in NFL
ESPN.com

How much trouble is a number worth?

Reggie Bush, projected as the No. 1 pick in the NFL Draft, thinks it's at least worth petitioning the league.

"I want to see if I can keep No. 5," Bush told ESPN The Magazine on the set of a Subway commercial he was shooting in Los Angeles.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft06/news/story?id=2405152

Texas
04-11-2006, 09:46 PM
Were should I sign, I think that would be sick.

What?

Anyways it will probably be denied but I guess its good to try.

Oilers/Texans
04-11-2006, 09:56 PM
It really dosen't matter one way or the other, but I hope the league does not allow it. I also wish they would make all receivers go back to an 80's number.

Bullpen Drew
04-11-2006, 10:08 PM
Chuck Norris can bench 225...WITH NO HANDS!

Hookem Horns
04-11-2006, 10:13 PM
It really dosen't matter one way or the other, but I hope the league does not allow it. I also wish they would make all receivers go back to an 80's number.

I saw somewhere (I think on ESPN) that the teens were opened up to receivers because the NFL was running out of numbers in the eighties due to number retiring.

However, Bush needs to come in as a rookie and wear the number he is given. Not come into the league as some primadonna asking to change the rules of the NFL so that he can stand out with his #5.

powerfuldragon
04-11-2006, 10:17 PM
i think i've just about had my fill of chuck norris jokes. Hulk, i can't decipher that sentence.

AND

If i were in charge of giving out numbers in the NFL, i'd let bush keep 5. He's sampson, 5 is his hair.

Seņor Stan
04-11-2006, 10:17 PM
I saw somewhere (I think on ESPN) that the teens were opened up to receivers because the NFL was running out of numbers in the eighties due to number retiring.

However, Bush needs to come in as a rookie and wear the number he is given. Not come into the league as some primadonna asking to change the rules of the NFL so that he can stand out with his #5.

If he was that concerned about keeping the same number, he should have started wearing a running backs number in Pop Warner, or High School, or College.

I hope his request is denied.

kiwitexansfan
04-11-2006, 10:21 PM

I am with you Horns, stick with what every other RB in the league gets. He isn't special..... yet.

Otherwise we could draft/list him as a kicker, punter or QB..... JK

Texans Horror
04-11-2006, 10:30 PM
mods, move if this has already been posted.

Updated: April 11, 2006, 3:06 PM ET
Bush will appeal to wear No. 5 in NFL
ESPN.com

How much trouble is a number worth?

Reggie Bush, projected as the No. 1 pick in the NFL Draft, thinks it's at least worth petitioning the league.

"I want to see if I can keep No. 5," Bush told ESPN The Magazine on the set of a Subway commercial he was shooting in Los Angeles.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft06/news/story?id=2405152

Why the hell not? I know it means something to him, and it gives credibility to all our "What number will Reggie wear?" threads.

SAMURAITEXAN
04-11-2006, 10:47 PM
Why the hell not? I know it means something to him, and it gives credibility to all our "What number will Reggie wear?" threads.
Just give him No.5.:texflag: :fans: Where do I need to sign?

Hookem Horns
04-11-2006, 10:48 PM
The NFL has number rules for a reason. One reason for the rule is it helps the refs better identify player positions during plays which move at high speed. For example, if they see a number 60 something downfield they quickly know an offensive lineman is illegally downfield.

If they give in to Bush who else is going to be asking for an exception? Next thing you know, some primadonna QB will come out and want to wear number 99 just to be trendy. With the mentality of the modern "me" player, this would get way out of hand.

powerfuldragon
04-11-2006, 10:49 PM
i did some thinking, if not five, he should take 25.

end topic now.

Hookem Horns
04-11-2006, 10:51 PM
i did some thinking, if not five, he should take 25.

end topic now.

Did we cut Hollings yet?

The Myth
04-11-2006, 10:53 PM

Asking doesn't make him a primadonna. If he throws a fit if they say no will make him a primadonna. I really don't care anymore. It's stupid that they strayed from the old staples anyway so now they are going to be asked by others if they can do it like the WR's. Doesn't hurt to ask. :twocents:

LoneStarState
04-11-2006, 10:53 PM
Did we cut Hollings yet?
He's not on the official roster.

HOOK'EM
04-11-2006, 10:55 PM
..........can he just wear #5 and pay a fine like K. Johnson did for many years before the league made those numbers availible for receivers agian.:twocents:

Hookem Horns
He's not on the official roster.

Another excellent 2nd round pick by C***erly.

kiwitexansfan
He was cut the same time as Banks and Coleman

HOOK'EM
04-11-2006, 10:58 PM
#5 Bush, I love it!

DO IT BUSH, Pay the fine!:redtowel:

Hervoyel
04-11-2006, 11:04 PM
I just don't care about what number he wears. If he would like to keep his #5 I see no harm in letting him ask for it. I don't think his chance of getting it should be any better than the fullback who gets selected in the 6th round because he projects to be a great special teams guy but I think there's nothing wrong with asking.

A lot of what's wrong with the NFL today can be traced back to one of two things. Lack of respect for the league or lack of understanding of the players. NFL players fail to respect the history, traditions, and rules of the NFL all the time. Many of them swagger into the league thinking they're entitled to just about anything they want. On the other hand the NFL itself seems dead set on stomping out any hint of individuality they find. They make draconian rules and then tweak them every few years when they think some player somewhere might have found a way to have some fun in spite of the rule.

The best part of the NFL lies somewhere in between those two problems. You couldn't make it up or invent it intentionally if you tried and if you could bottle it you'd be, well an NFL owner and rich beyond your wildest dreams. NFL owners are the 32 luckiest people alive and they should thank the fates every single day of their lives that NFL football is what it is.

At some point in the future if they are not careful either the players or the league will push too hard and break it. I dread that day.

Let him ask for #5 but he should ask humbly. The NFL can say "yes" if they want to without fearing that anarchy will break out in their sport but it should be clearly their decision. If they say no then that should be the end of it. They should say all the right things but point out that this is a long standing rule.

mexican_texan
04-11-2006, 11:08 PM
Another excellent 2nd round pick by C***erly.
*chuckle* Hey, Joppru has yet to have a game in his career without at least 100 receptions and 80 TDs.

MorKnolle
04-11-2006, 11:28 PM

Agreed, I'd prefer the league to not bend/change its rules for one player, the NFL sticking to its guidelines is one big reason why it's the #1 pro sports league in the country now. As to the WRs being in the 80s, I think another problem is some teams carry more than a total of 10 WRs and TEs, so they obviously can't have all of them be in the 80s.

Jwwillis
04-11-2006, 11:33 PM
I was really hoping to give Reggie #34. We need a Texans #34 to go with Olajuwan, Ryan and Campbell. Can't believe he is petitioning the league before he is even in it. Yikes!!

YodAa
04-11-2006, 11:41 PM
thatll look so gay

phantom17
04-11-2006, 11:46 PM
Chuck Norris can bench 225...WITH NO HANDS!

Becuz he uses his........:rolleyes: .

whiskeyrbl
04-11-2006, 11:50 PM
It's probably more for marketability than a supersticious thing.I'd like to see him wear it, but I also could forsee an onslaught of new players wanting all kinds of #'s so it probably is not a good idea.

Hardcore Texan
04-11-2006, 11:56 PM
The NFL has number rules for a reason. One reason for the rule is it helps the refs better identify player positions during plays which move at high speed. For example, if they see a number 60 something downfield they quickly know an offensive lineman is illegally downfield.

If they give in to Bush who else is going to be asking for an exception? Next thing you know, some primadonna QB will come out and want to wear number 99 just to be trendy. With the mentality of the modern "me" player, this would get way out of hand.

I agree, I just don't think Bush is going to make a big deal out of this. Probably is more hype than anything.

I bet he ends up wearing #21, just like Tomlinson, who was #5 in college also if I remember right.

tulexan
04-12-2006, 12:01 AM
He's probably petitioning because there is no harm in trying. If he gets it, great, if he doesn't, then he'll pick a new number. I don't see this as being a primadonna. A lot of guys have a number they want and will go to great lengths to get it including paying the current player who has the number several thousand dollars, buying them a car, or paying for a vacation.

Bush isn't the first to attempt this and won't be the last. I don't think that he will be allowed to change his number because the league doesn't want to deal with every other player who doesn't like their number.

Vinny
04-12-2006, 12:12 AM
I bet he ends up wearing #21, just like Tomlinson, who was #5 in college also if I remember right.http://images.nfl.com/photos/img8892329.jpghttp://www.cnnsi.com/football/college/2000/bowls/news/2000/12/19/tcu_patterson_ap/t1_tomlinson_all-01.jpg

Hardcore Texan
04-12-2006, 12:16 AM
http://images.nfl.com/photos/img8892329.jpghttp://www.cnnsi.com/football/college/2000/bowls/news/2000/12/19/tcu_patterson_ap/t1_tomlinson_all-01.jpg

yeah, I am calling it, predicting it now. If we draft Bush (which I think is going to happen now), I bet he is #21 (Tomlinson has been kind of mentoring Bush, meant to put that in my first post).

To my knowledge, no Texan wears it.

Cool pics, thanks Vinny.

Vinny
04-12-2006, 12:20 AM
yeah, I am calling it, predicting it now. If we draft Bush (which I think is going to happen now), I bet he is #21. To my knowledge, no Texan wears it.

Cool pics, thanks Vinny.We share the vision and I beat you to it (bottom of the page). :redtowel:

http://www.houstonprofootball.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=5909&perpage=25&highlight=ladanian&pagenumber=1

El Amigo Invisible
04-12-2006, 12:29 AM
We share the vision and I beat you to it (bottom of the page). :redtowel:

http://www.houstonprofootball.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=5909&perpage=25&highlight=ladanian&pagenumber=1
What about "0"?

Vinny
04-12-2006, 12:31 AM
what about it

Hervoyel
04-12-2006, 12:34 AM
What about "0"?

I think nothing of it.

El Amigo Invisible
04-12-2006, 12:35 AM
He can't wear it? I think I would look smooth.

SESupergenius
04-12-2006, 08:15 AM
He'll wear #21, but he's going to have to pay CB Sanders for it, he's currently #21.

NeViKaN
04-12-2006, 09:27 AM
The solution is simple. Draft him as a QB. JJ but it would work.

TreWardTxn
04-12-2006, 10:01 AM
The league is full of simple-minded suits. They're so hell-bent on protecting their completely arbitrary rules that they don't recognize an opportunity when it is right in front of them. First of all, positions having set number ranges is not "tradition" in the NFL, it's a relatively recent convention (players wore all kind of #'s back in the day) made so that the refs could "distinguish players by position easier." So a ref is going to confuse a linebacker with a safety because he wears a 20 #? Doubt that.

Here's what the league does: They allow the skill position players to adopt any number of their choice for an annual fee. They roll that money from the self-imposed tax into a charity fund and actually do something in life instead of sitting up-high on their NFL throne, condescendingly staring at the peons before them...

SnakeOilTanker
04-12-2006, 10:09 AM
6+1+9+5=21

619-His san diego area code he's so proud of
5-his #
:superman:

Hardcore Texan
04-12-2006, 10:20 AM
We share the vision and I beat you to it (bottom of the page). :redtowel:

True, I have never posted it, I have been thinking for a couple of months, ever since I saw a piece on ESPN about Bush working out with Tomlinson in San Diego. LT worked Bush so hard he threw up, showed him there is a whole other level to get to in NFL, that's when it first popped in my head, cause the piece referenced them both being #5's in college.

dwilt72
04-12-2006, 11:52 AM
Asking doesn't make him a primadonna. If he throws a fit if they say no will make him a primadonna. I really don't care anymore. It's stupid that they strayed from the old staples anyway so now they are going to be asked by others if they can do it like the WR's. Doesn't hurt to ask. :twocents:

I agree. If he throws a "Terrell Owens" fit, then he's a primadonna.

Vinny
04-12-2006, 12:08 PM
The league is full of simple-minded suits. They're so hell-bent on protecting their completely arbitrary rules that they don't recognize an opportunity when it is right in front of them. First of all, positions having set number ranges is not "tradition" in the NFL, it's a relatively recent convention (players wore all kind of #'s back in the day) made so that the refs could "distinguish players by position easier." So a ref is going to confuse a linebacker with a safety because he wears a 20 #? Doubt that.

Here's what the league does: They allow the skill position players to adopt any number of their choice for an annual fee. They roll that money from the self-imposed tax into a charity fund and actually do something in life instead of sitting up-high on their NFL throne, condescendingly staring at the peons before them...The numbering system works. There are 22 men on the field at once and they have enough to think about without trying to figure out if #18 should be in the tackle box or ineligible down field in the split second they have to make a call during a play. If this was a sport with 8-10 players on the field I wouldn't really care about the numbers. I think the numbering system works just fine and I don't see how it is condescending in any way to any player or fan.

Errant Hothy
04-12-2006, 12:29 PM
The numbering system works. There are 22 men on the field at once and they have enough to think about without trying to figure out if #18 should be in the tackle box or ineligible down field in the split second they have to make a call during a play. If this was a sport with 8-10 players on the field I wouldn't really care about the numbers. I think the numbering system works just fine and I don't see how it is condescending in any way to any player or fan.

Sorry, don't buy it.

The college refs do just fine making that distinction.

The NFL does not need to completly drop it numbering rules, but refining it so DBs, WRs and RBs could also wear 1-19 numbers a) wouldn't casue confussion and b) make better use of them (as of now there are 5 players on a team eligible for 20 numbers; K, P, and the 3 QBs)

Vinny
04-12-2006, 12:31 PM
Sorry, don't buy it.

The college refs do just fine making that distinction.

The NFL does not need to completly drop it numbering rules, but refining it so DBs, WRs and RBs could also wear 1-19 numbers a) wouldn't casue confussion and b) make better use of them (as of now there are 5 players on a team eligible for 20 numbers; K, P, and the 3 QBs)Don't buy what? He was talking about anyone having any number....and I said that it would be chaos and you say you don't want to see it go away either. You do buy it my friend.

kcwilson
04-12-2006, 12:44 PM
From http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft06/news/story?id=2405152

"I think someone else was able to get their number changed, but even if they turn me down I think it's worth a try," Bush said.

Does that sound like a guy truly bent on getting it changed? The image that Reggie has seemed to portray is that he seems to know to not rock the boat. Even at USC, when Lendale and him split the carries, the only gossip was that Lendale was potentially upset about his touches. Now, I nkow you can't always trust the media, but you can't find a lot of dirt on the guy. If he hung with LT, then hopefully LT taught him that.

I think he'll petition and when the NFL says No, then it wil be a dead issue.

the wonger need food
04-12-2006, 12:44 PM
Don't buy what? He was talking about anyone having any number....and I said that it would be chaos and you say you don't want to see it go away either. You do buy it my friend.

And all numbers in the teens are outside of the 80's...

jerek
04-12-2006, 12:45 PM
I just don't care about what number he wears. If he would like to keep his #5 I see no harm in letting him ask for it. I don't think his chance of getting it should be any better than the fullback who gets selected in the 6th round because he projects to be a great special teams guy but I think there's nothing wrong with asking.

A lot of what's wrong with the NFL today can be traced back to one of two things. Lack of respect for the league or lack of understanding of the players. NFL players fail to respect the history, traditions, and rules of the NFL all the time. Many of them swagger into the league thinking they're entitled to just about anything they want. On the other hand the NFL itself seems dead set on stomping out any hint of individuality they find. They make draconian rules and then tweak them every few years when they think some player somewhere might have found a way to have some fun in spite of the rule.

The best part of the NFL lies somewhere in between those two problems. You couldn't make it up or invent it intentionally if you tried and if you could bottle it you'd be, well an NFL owner and rich beyond your wildest dreams. NFL owners are the 32 luckiest people alive and they should thank the fates every single day of their lives that NFL football is what it is.

At some point in the future if they are not careful either the players or the league will push too hard and break it. I dread that day.

Let him ask for #5 but he should ask humbly. The NFL can say "yes" if they want to without fearing that anarchy will break out in their sport but it should be clearly their decision. If they say no then that should be the end of it. They should say all the right things but point out that this is a long standing rule.

Very true. I think it's a two-way street. Players should respect the league and its traditions, and should not come strolling through with an attitude of entitlement: but I see nothing wrong with asking to wear a different number. That said, I actually enjoy watching most of the endzone celebrations (ala Chad Johnson) and I think it is stupid that the league is trying to (have they already?) stamp those out. The list of what players must and cannot wear is way too much. Owners and the league FO were asking for too much in the recent near fiasco CBA talks.

I personally would like to see Reggie get his #5 and I would like to see players where whatever number they choose, though I understand (at least from an officiating standpoint) the potential need to restrict that choice. As long as he is respectful about it I see no problem with him asking, but his runs will not be any more or less spectacular because he wears #5.

Vinny
04-12-2006, 12:46 PM
yes they are indeed.

tulexan
04-12-2006, 12:49 PM
Reggie is such a high performance machine he can't have the weight of the extra material for the second digit of the number.

Wearing #5 is like a sports car being made with carbon fiber instead of aluminum.

Errant Hothy
04-12-2006, 12:52 PM
Don't buy what? He was talking about anyone having any number....and I said that it would be chaos and you say you don't want to see it go away either. You do buy it my friend.

I don't buy the statement that, and I quote "There are 22 men on the field at once and they have enough to think about without trying to figure out if #18 should be in the tackle box or ineligible down field in the split second they have to make a call during a play. If this was a sport with 8-10 players on the field I wouldn't really care about the numbers."

What I don't but is that this is the reason teh NFL is so rigid in it's numbering rules. As I said, teh college refs seem to do this well enough; so why shouldn't we expect the pro refs to be able to.

The powers that be in the NFL want the focus to solely be on the teams, not the individual players. How many times do you see the #1 on the feild anymore?

My suggestion about expandeding the numbering groups for certain positions was a way for teh NFL to allow teh single digits numbers to see teh feild more and still keep it's current numbering system. It would also keep teh refs from having to think to much about what player is wearing the lower numbers, ie if 5 is downfeild he's either a Db, a WR of a RB all fo whom would be legal.

I live with the current numbering rules, I don't like them nor do I buy them; but I aslo know the odds of the NFL changing them are slim. Hell, I love wathcing older games were the QBs are wearing numbers in the 20s.

Vinny
04-12-2006, 12:55 PM
I never said we should never tweak the system (if you search my posts you will notice I was for Bush pushing for number 5).....but the basic framework of the numbers works...and works well.

Texans_Chick
04-12-2006, 12:56 PM
It totally makes sense for Bush to keep his number:

http://speed5.homestead.com/files/speed_racer_poster.jpg

Dude is the personification of the Mach 5.

I am editing this post to comment that David Carr looks remarkably like Speed Racer.

tulexan
04-12-2006, 12:59 PM
Mach 5 is also Trojan colors

Errant Hothy
04-12-2006, 01:06 PM
I never said we should never tweak the system (if you search my posts you will notice I was for Bush pushing for number 5).....but the basic framework of the numbers works...and works well.

I havn't read that, so I apologize.

The system does indeed work, but the Giants might disagree with the "well" part.

Texans_Chick
04-12-2006, 01:17 PM
Mach 5 is also Trojan colors

Speed Racer wears Texans colors:

http://speed5.homestead.com/files/speed_and_mach_5_from_cartoon_intro.gif

And Speed is back to pass.......

OK, 16 days until the draft. I think I can make it. :redtowel:

tulexan
04-12-2006, 01:19 PM
Reggie Bush and David Carr were destined to be teammates

|The.Brand0n|
04-12-2006, 01:20 PM
and Wells is gone ... Reggie might as well settle for #32...

All together gang... 3 + 2 = 5

:twocents:

4Texans
04-12-2006, 01:27 PM
Brian Bosworth tried to petition the NFL to wear his #44 when he came into the league. He was even going to classify himself as a DB, instead of a LB. The league simply said "NO", and Boz had to live with being #55 if I remember correctly.

It won't hurt for Reggie to try, but I'll bet the NFL tells him "NO".

Kaiser Toro
04-12-2006, 01:42 PM
Rules have been set in place for years with a numbering system that works and is necessary. And then we have a college football player who has not played in the NFL down wants to petition the NFL to change the rules and game for him.

Case in point of the Wonderlich not being the best determiner of how ones intellect or understanding of the rules, etiquette and protocol will transfer from an amateur to a professional role.

It will be denied and we can expect Bush's new veteran teammates will dig on him for it. I can see him being mandated to do everything in quantities of five.

Hookem Horns
04-12-2006, 01:53 PM
It totally makes sense for Bush to keep his number:

http://speed5.homestead.com/files/speed_racer_poster.jpg

Dude is the personification of the Mach 5.

... and it totally makes sense for Carr to keep his:

http://www.texanstalk.com/newspics/carr8.jpg

:)

TreWardTxn
04-12-2006, 01:54 PM

I didn't say anything about every player having whatever number they want, I said the skill position players should be allowed to, and since they can go downfield all they want and no ref will mistake a left guard for a running back, ref confusion is a moot point...

jerek
04-12-2006, 01:56 PM
... and it totally makes sense for Carr to keep his:

http://www.texanstalk.com/newspics/carr8.jpg

:)

That was funny but man, what a butch Photoshop job. No perspective on the #8. Clearly a fraud, just like your idea of Carr :)

Maddict5
04-12-2006, 03:25 PM
Case in point of the Wonderlich not being the best determiner of how ones intellect or understanding of the rules, etiquette and protocol will transfer from an amateur to a professional role.

WARNING::homer: making another reggie 'mountain out of a mole-hill'. is RB hell-bent on wearing the #5? No. but hes worn it since he started playing and is just trying to keep it in the pro's. What is wrong with you people that see that as a problem???

yet these same people that proclaim etiquette etc, turn a blind eye to VY not wearing a suit when meeting the president

Texans86
04-12-2006, 04:13 PM
I see no problem with him asking the league to allow him to use the number. Petition is simply the formal term that they have to use. The NFL is a business, and they can't simply change thigns on a whim. He probably won't get his request, so he hopefully will drop it and pick a normal number. Almost all athletes have some sort of superstition, and in his head he may thinkk #5 gives him a slight boost since that is what he has always worn. Besides, since when is it a bad thing to ask for something you want?

mexican_texan
04-12-2006, 04:21 PM
If you really thought about it, his original post made sense. But if you thought too hard, smoke would come out your ears...

I think the Jets have 21 open...

GP
04-12-2006, 04:22 PM

:rolleyes:

is your comment affected in any way by your VY bias? just wondering....

TreWardTxn
04-12-2006, 04:32 PM
Just saw that Subway commercial; pretty wack, but I think that's the first time I saw an undrafted incoming rookie in a commerical for anything other than Madden. I say give the man his number and let him pay for it. The league needs to stop trying to squeeze everyone in a box. Eventually the NFL will need to unretire numbers, or go to triple digits (god forbid), so I don't see the big deal. I can't blame a young man for wanting to capitilze on his market potential...

C Madd
04-12-2006, 04:37 PM
Rules have been set in place for years with a numbering system that works and is necessary. And then we have a college football player who has not played in the NFL down wants to petition the NFL to change the rules and game for him.

I really don't understand this post. He isn't throwing a fit about this, it seems. He just seems to be politely asking the NFL about it. What's the harm in it? If they say no, I'm sure he'll take another number and be fine with it.

GP
04-12-2006, 04:54 PM
I really don't understand this post. He isn't throwing a fit about this, it seems. He just seems to be politely asking the NFL about it. What's the harm in it? If they say no, I'm sure he'll take another number and be fine with it.

Let me help you: Everybody here has a pet player they like to bash. For some it's Carr, others it's Bush, or Young, or Kris Brown, etc. Every player has a poster designated to get bashed by.

Am I mistaken when I say that there is a potential for in-game confusion amongst referees AND the opposing team's coaches and players if the jersey numbers didn't have position designations? There's a good reason why certain numbers are used for certain positions.

But the thing that irks me is the idea that teams who are retiring jersey numbers are creating a situation where the rules are being changed (wide receivers can now wear numbers that are in the teens) just for a stupid ceremony. I mean, honestly, can't we just put that former player's jersey up in the rafters of the stadium...but still allow a person to wear it today?

And so, in my opinion, I'm not angry at Bush's request because it's a pretty idiotic situation (the retiring of jerseys, and the subsequent rule change) that's FORCED the NFL to change the rule for WRs but no one else.

Therefore, Bush doesn't deserve the scrutiny. But that's my opinion, and you know what they say about opinions..........

gwallaia
04-12-2006, 05:01 PM
Forgive me if this has already been posted in this thread, but does anyone recall how ridiculous Brian Bosworth looked when he made a big fuss over wanting to be #44 when drafted by Seattle? He ended up wearing #55 despite all his whining. He also wore Bo Jackson's footprints on his chest.

TreWardTxn
04-12-2006, 05:41 PM
Let me help you: Everybody here has a pet player they like to bash. For some it's Carr, others it's Bush, or Young, or Kris Brown, etc. Every player has a poster designated to get bashed by.

Am I mistaken when I say that there is a potential for in-game confusion amongst referees AND the opposing team's coaches and players if the jersey numbers didn't have position designations? There's a good reason why certain numbers are used for certain positions.

But the thing that irks me is the idea that teams who are retiring jersey numbers are creating a situation where the rules are being changed (wide receivers can now wear numbers that are in the teens) just for a stupid ceremony. I mean, honestly, can't we just put that former player's jersey up in the rafters of the stadium...but still allow a person to wear it today?

And so, in my opinion, I'm not angry at Bush's request because it's a pretty idiotic situation (the retiring of jerseys, and the subsequent rule change) that's FORCED the NFL to change the rule for WRs but no one else.

Therefore, Bush doesn't deserve the scrutiny. But that's my opinion, and you know what they say about opinions..........

I would really like to hear these "good reasons." Even if every player could wear whatever they wanted, you mean to tell me that two different refs, from two different angles, could not in an instant glance, tell the difference between a fullback or RT meandering downfield?

Even if they couldn't, and maybe refs are that bad considering past year's playoffs, no one is advocating allowing lineman to wear the #17. Only skill players should be allowed to wear all numbers, and interior players should be confined to #s 50-79 and 90-99 if spotting 'ineligible player downfield' is the true concern...

Hookem Horns
04-12-2006, 06:05 PM
:rolleyes:

is your comment affected in any way by your VY bias? just wondering....

Yes, it is because I think VY will be a great player in the NFL is why I think Reggie Bush shouldn't be wearing a QB's or kicker's number.

Actually, I base all of my opinions in life and decisions on what I think about VY. Let's see, my wife just asked what I want for dinner. Well, because I think VY will be an excellent player in the NFL that will probably make me choose Chinese. Why? Beats me but ties in about the same as what I think about Bush's number in the NFL.

PapaL
04-12-2006, 06:11 PM
Keyshawn pettioned to wear #19 after he was drafted and it was approved. Its not a big deal people. But here's a reason why RB and his #5 could get approved; NFL wants marketability in LA. What better way to gain that then to have a local legend wearing #5 in the NFL? After all, isnt that way Keyshawn's #19 was approved? All about selling jersey's and making money.

PapaL
04-12-2006, 06:15 PM
The numbering system works. There are 22 men on the field at once and they have enough to think about without trying to figure out if #18 should be in the tackle box or ineligible down field in the split second they have to make a call during a play. If this was a sport with 8-10 players on the field I wouldn't really care about the numbers. I think the numbering system works just fine and I don't see how it is condescending in any way to any player or fan.

NCAA and High School ref's seem to do just as well as NFL ref's and their numbering systems differ. No one confused Doug Flutie and his #22 in college for a RB/DB.

Maddict5
04-12-2006, 06:17 PM
Yes, it is because I think VY will be a great player in the NFL is why I think Reggie Bush shouldn't be wearing a QB's or kicker's number.

Actually, I base all of my opinions in life and decisions on what I think about VY. Let's see, my wife just asked what I want for dinner. Well, because I think VY will be an excellent player in the NFL that will probably make me choose Chinese. Why? Beats me but ties in about the same as what I think about Bush's number in the NFL.

:rolleyes: whatever any1 could see you were having a swipe at reggie for no real reason therefore an obvious relevant conclusion is maybe you like VY...

but keep posting irrelevant stuff that makes no sense to prove otherwise:brickwall

Vinny
04-12-2006, 06:18 PM
NCAA and High School ref's seem to do just as well as NFL ref's and their numbering systems differ. No one confused Doug Flutie and his #22 in college for a RB/DB.HS and Colleges have massive rosters and really can't stay in the number limitation quotas without redundancies.

Kaiser Toro
04-12-2006, 06:19 PM
WARNING::homer: making another reggie 'mountain out of a mole-hill'. is RB hell-bent on wearing the #5? No. but hes worn it since he started playing and is just trying to keep it in the pro's. What is wrong with you people that see that as a problem???

yet these same people that proclaim etiquette etc, turn a blind eye to VY not wearing a suit when meeting the president

So you cut out the whole post which implies it is a correctable error and at the same time lump VY in there, when I have been out in front by saying that we should not draft VY since he declared.

Maddict5
04-12-2006, 06:29 PM
So you cut out the whole post which implies it is a correctable error and at the same time lump VY in there, when I have been out in front by saying that we should not draft VY since he declared.

i only used that part of your post because it was the part i most felt aggrieved with...but il respond to the rest now

1st paragraph was how the number rules are a necessity- i disagree there is no real reason for skill positions to have these rules..o-line i understand though

last paragrah was speculation about how team-mates would tease him about it- how do you expect me to respond to that???

Now il admit i 'lumped'/assumed you were a VY fan, because it is the only reason i can see people wanting to have a go at reggie over such a trivial matter....because it makes no sense to me otherwise

Kaiser Toro
04-12-2006, 06:56 PM
1st paragraph was how the number rules are a necessity- i disagree there is no real reason for skill positions to have these rules..o-line i understand though

last paragrah was speculation about how team-mates would tease him about it- how do you expect me to respond to that???

Firstly I did not write the rules and have refereed high school football and the numbers matter for a defense on the opposing side of the ball as well as the referees.

Secondly, I am not sure you have played sports, but all rookies get hazed in some regard and I was commenting on how this situation is an easy target.

I hope for all of the Bush advocates out there that we draft him or there may be a mass suicide. Thankfully we will be better next year with him or without him.

God of Wine
04-12-2006, 07:35 PM
I didn't read all the post in the thread so forgive me if this has been brought up. When was the present #ing system in place?

Wasn't Paul Horning a RB for the Packers and wore #5?

mexican_texan
04-12-2006, 08:18 PM
Back then, the NFL did not have a #system in place.

Seņor Stan
04-12-2006, 08:20 PM
If the NFL wouldn't allow Peyton Manning to wear black hightop shoes in a game as a tribute to the recently departed Johnny Unitas, then Reggie has no chance of being number 5.

None. Zero. Zip. Nada.

mexican_texan
04-12-2006, 08:24 PM
If the NFL wouldn't allow Peyton Manning to wear black hightop shoes in a game as a tribute to the recently departed Johnny Unitas, then Reggie has no chance of being number 5.

None. Zero. Zip. Nada.
I thought Frankenstein wanted to wear those shoes permanently. There is no reason he should not have worn those. The NFL also fined Jake Plummer for honoring Pat Tillman on his helmet.

Mike Kerns
04-12-2006, 08:24 PM
I didn't read all the post in the thread so forgive me if this has been brought up. When was the present #ing system in place?

I think the league didn't start the numbering system until the 60's or 70's.

Kaiser Toro
04-12-2006, 10:10 PM

http://football.about.com/cs/football101/a/bl_numbersystem.htm

Bull Pen 1
04-12-2006, 10:16 PM
It's tie for football to start.

Bull Pen 1
04-12-2006, 10:17 PM
It's time for football season to start.:redtowel:

Seņor Stan
04-12-2006, 10:52 PM
I thought Frankenstein wanted to wear those shoes permanently. There is no reason he should not have worn those. The NFL also fined Jake Plummer for honoring Pat Tillman on his helmet.

I remember after Walter Payton died Marshall Faulk wanted to change his number to 34 for a game in honor of Sweetness. The NFL denied his request, and only the Bears were allowed to wear commemorative armbands.

So much for the "But I've wearded it for my whole entire lifetime!" arguement.

Good luck with that one and welcome to the NFL.

Double Barrel
04-12-2006, 10:52 PM
If Reggie is as good as advertised, then I agree that #34 should be his number. But those are some huge shoes to fill, so I can only hope that he's that good (if we get him).

4Texans
04-12-2006, 11:07 PM
Brian Bosworth tried to petition the NFL to wear his #44 when he came into the league. He was even going to classify himself as a DB, instead of a LB. The league simply said "NO", and Boz had to live with being #55 if I remember correctly.

It won't hurt for Reggie to try, but I'll bet the NFL tells him "NO".

Sports 610 also mentioned this afternoon that Edge James tried to get the league to let him wear #5 coming out of Miami, and they said "NO".

It don't hurt to ask, but Reggie better be satisfied with another number.

mexican_texan
04-12-2006, 11:10 PM
I remember after Walter Payton died Marshall Faulk wanted to change his number to 34 for a game in honor of Sweetness. The NFL denied his request, and only the Bears were allowed to wear commemorative armbands.

So much for the "But I've wearded it for my whole entire lifetime!" arguement.

Good luck with that one and welcome to the NFL.
Speaking of which, anyone know what GSH stands for? The Bears wear it on their sleeves.

Seņor Stan
04-12-2006, 11:14 PM
Speaking of which, anyone know what GSH stands for? The Bears wear it on their sleeves.

George S. Halas.

Seņor Stan
04-12-2006, 11:15 PM
If Reggie is as good as advertised, then I agree that #34 should be his number. But those are some huge shoes to fill, so I can only hope that he's that good (if we get him).

Aw, C'mon! Morency hasn't done THAT much yet! :)

Keldar
04-12-2006, 11:43 PM
NM (duplicate)

Revolution
04-13-2006, 12:57 AM
This may have been posted, if so, sorry!

How did Kenny Burrough get to wear 00 ? He must have received permission. If he can wear 00, why can't Reggie wear 5?

Edit: after reading some posts, it is probably because he started in the league before 1973. I guess they were allowed to grandfather their number.

TreWardTxn
04-13-2006, 01:01 AM
When the NFL thinks of all the jersey sales and marketing $$$ they can make in LA by allowing Bush to keep his #5 and his California connection, they will change their tune. They aint in the business of marketing guys who look or talk like Edgerrin James, so it stands to reason they wouldn't make any exceptions for him.

The league is in good shape, it's not like they need Reggie Bush or any other 'once-in-a-generation player (like the NBA did), but they have an opportunity here to tap into a market they've wanted for awhile now, and this may be their best bet...

tulexan
04-13-2006, 01:04 AM
I guess they were allowed to grandfather their number.

Kind of like Mariano Rivera being the only player in MLB with #42 because of the league-wide retiring of Jackie Robinson's number

SnakeOilTanker
04-13-2006, 01:20 AM
Bush jereseys will sell in LA no matter what number (or team) they have on them

TreWardTxn
04-13-2006, 01:33 AM
Yeah, it'll sell no matter what, but it just keeps that connection (if that means anything). Either way, I'm on record saying that restricting numbers for skill players makes no sense anyway, and he should get it. I'm sure he, and all those other egotistic/superstitious players are willing to pay good money...

Kaiser Toro
04-13-2006, 08:57 AM
When the NFL thinks of all the jersey sales and marketing $$$ they can make in LA by allowing Bush to keep his #5 and his California connection, they will change their tune. The isn't in the business of marketing guys who look or talk like Edgerrin James, so it stands to reason they wouldn't make any exceptions for him.

The league is in good shape, it's not like they need Reggie Bush or any other 'once-in-a-generation player (like the NBA did), but they have an opportunity here to tap into a market they've wanted for awhile now, and this may be their best bet...

To say the NFL needs LA in my opinon is ridiculous (not that you said that). The NFL has seen its greatest expansion without it. Are there incremental dollars there that they want? Yes.

Reggie Bush has proven that he is a once in a decade player in college football, Kijana Carter. It is still undetermined if that title will transfer to the NFL.

GP
04-14-2006, 12:12 AM
http://www.jt-sw.com/football/pro/index.nsf/Documents/0-jers-nums

This link covers the numbering system, but does not give explanations as to "why" there are locks in place on the numbers as to who can wear them and why.

It'd be great if we can find info on why certain numbers are locked the way they are. Anybody find anything, let us know.

GP
04-14-2006, 12:31 AM
Firstly I did not write the rules and have refereed high school football and the numbers matter for a defense on the opposing side of the ball as well as the referees.

Secondly, I am not sure you have played sports, but all rookies get hazed in some regard and I was commenting on how this situation is an easy target.

I hope for all of the Bush advocates out there that we draft him or there may be a mass suicide. Thankfully we will be better next year with him or without him.

Well, it's nice to know you care so much about poor Reggie Bush getting hazed by his new teammates since you spend most of your words on this topic making fun of either the hype about Bush and/or talking smack to the people who think he'll be pretty good in the NFL (examples: your Kijana Carter remark, the mass suicide remark, etc.).

I mean, why are you feinting "concern" for Reggie's potential hazing in the beginning of this thread, but now it's turned to a bash-Bush fest for you? Acting concerned that he'll get hazed...and then posting remarks that clearly show you're not sold on the guy anyway, is just confusing.

FILO_girl
04-14-2006, 01:08 AM
I don't recall this board being wound so tight last year, or the year before. I see a board full of posters suffering from FDS.

Football Deprivation Syndrome is not fatal, but does attach the psyche of infected people and makes them post funky things on football message boards. More an annoyance than an illness, the effects wear off as soon as a football is put in play during an NFL season. Ingesting Koolaid of the appropriate color can temporarily lessen the symptoms. Group therapy can help, unless you mix VY and RB fans together. Avoid doing this at all costs! :stirpot:

Instead of fighting over a potential draft pick's jersey #, go get some Red Koolaid and try to relax a bit. It is only the 13th, hate to see someone have an aneurysm before the 29th over this subject.

Watching indoor football helps ease the pain. Watching the 2004 season tapes of old Texans games may help, but for God's sakes.....don't watch 2005. :ok:

SAMURAITEXAN
04-14-2006, 03:44 AM
I don't recall this board being wound so tight last year, or the year before. I see a board full of posters suffering from FDS.

Football Deprivation Syndrome is not fatal, but does attach the psyche of infected people and makes them post funky things on football message boards. More an annoyance than an illness, the effects wear off as soon as a football is put in play during an NFL season. Ingesting Koolaid of the appropriate color can temporarily lessen the symptoms. Group therapy can help, unless you mix VY and RB fans together. Avoid doing this at all costs! :stirpot:

Instead of fighting over a potential draft pick's jersey #, go get some Red Koolaid and try to relax a bit. It is only the 13th, hate to see someone have an aneurysm before the 29th over this subject.

Watching indoor football helps ease the pain. Watching the 2004 season tapes of old Texans games may help, but for God's sakes.....don't watch 2005. :ok:
Dear Dr. Filo,

I have that symptom too. Since no indoor football game here in Japan. Can I put a bit of Kooaid to my SAKE to ease my pain?

sakebomb
04-14-2006, 04:40 AM

I agree. Six pages of Why/Why not #5 talk? Crazy. I can't freaking sleep so I come to the board to get the latest Texans update and I get stuck reading this topic. Damn!!!

He's not the first to try it. I think the guys on 610 said Edgerrin James also tried. Big deal.

Ibar_Harry
04-14-2006, 07:20 AM
Call it the predraft doldrums....

Kaiser Toro
04-14-2006, 08:06 AM
Well, it's nice to know you care so much about poor Reggie Bush getting hazed by his new teammates since you spend most of your words on this topic making fun of either the hype about Bush and/or talking smack to the people who think he'll be pretty good in the NFL (examples: your Kijana Carter remark, the mass suicide remark, etc.).

I mean, why are you feinting "concern" for Reggie's potential hazing in the beginning of this thread, but now it's turned to a bash-Bush fest for you? Acting concerned that he'll get hazed...and then posting remarks that clearly show you're not sold on the guy anyway, is just confusing.

Sorry my words have gone over your head, but you have missed the intent. Bush colored glasses are hampering Texan talk. Cannot wait until he is or is not a Texan.

GP
04-14-2006, 10:46 AM
Sorry my words have gone over your head, but you have missed the intent. Bush colored glasses are hampering Texan talk. Cannot wait until he is or is not a Texan.

No Bush-colored glasses here. It's just that the majority of the world agrees, and three years of his performances back it up, that Bush has positioned himself as a guy who is far and away the best no-miss RB to come out in years. Nobody is truly a "no-miss" but when we speak in terms of projections about who is most likely to succeed...I don't see anyone even remotely approaching the guy.

I think your intent was (1) that you want us to draft Mario Williams, (2) you saw Bush was pushing for his #5 jersey number, and (3) you saw an opportunity to jab Bush supporters in their ribs with your "concern" that he'll get hazed for it. But that's my opinion.

Runner
04-14-2006, 10:52 AM
I agree. Six pages of Why/Why not #5 talk? Crazy. I can't freaking sleep so I come to the board to get the latest Texans update and I get stuck reading this topic. Damn!!!

Tell me about it. I started this thread:

http://www.houstontexans.com/fan_zone/messageboards/showthread.php?t=21056

and received serious responses. People are bored.

Kaiser Toro
04-14-2006, 10:54 AM
I think your intent was (1) that you want us to draft Mario Williams, (2) you saw Bush was pushing for his #5 jersey number, and (3) you saw an opportunity to jab Bush supporters in their ribs with your "concern" that he'll get hazed for it. But that's my opinion.

correct on #1 and #2, incorrect on #3.

GP
04-14-2006, 11:26 AM
correct on #1 and #2, incorrect on #3.

Oh, I see. So if it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it must be a...horse.

It's simple math. And the feint you attempted, as if you're soooooo concerned that Bush will get hazed, was a way to cover-up your true intentions: To get a war started and sit back and watch the fun. You want your guy to get drafted, you saw an opportunity to dig at pro-Bush guys, and it was too good to resist.

I'm cool with it. At least you're respectful about it all, and you can joke about stuff. There's no way in Terlingua we're drafting your guy, though. :)

mexican_texan
04-14-2006, 11:34 AM
Tell me about it. I started this thread:

http://www.houstontexans.com/fan_zone/messageboards/showthread.php?t=21056

and received serious responses. People are bored.

Fine. Let's stop talking about Bush and start talking about the previous season. How 'bout that Chiefs game?

FILO_girl
04-14-2006, 03:32 PM
Dear Dr. Filo,

I have that symptom too. Since no indoor football game here in Japan. Can I put a bit of Kooaid to my SAKE to ease my pain?

I see no reason not to try it. When in Rome....:)

CaptainPatriot
04-15-2006, 05:58 PM

How many WR numbers are retired at Texans,Saints and Titans? Give him 28 like Faulk of Rams or 36 like Westbrook of Eagles. Hopefully Texans will use him in the same capicity. I`m like you I`m not feeling that primadonna atitude by Bush.

SAMURAITEXAN
04-16-2006, 08:32 AM
I see no reason not to try it. When in Rome....:)
Yes! I'm doing it! Thanks.:)

False Start
04-17-2006, 02:34 AM
I thought it would be neat if he talked Morency out of nubmer 34 . That way we could have another great number 34 in H-Town sports history . Atleast I hope hes great . :cute:

michaelm
04-17-2006, 03:22 AM
When the NFL thinks of all the jersey sales and marketing $$$ they can make in LA by allowing Bush to keep his #5 and his California connection, they will change their tune. They aint in the business of marketing guys who look or talk like Edgerrin James, so it stands to reason they wouldn't make any exceptions for him.

If RB is such a marketing gold mine, his jersey will have value whatever the number.
I can't imagine any person buying a #5 jersey that would NOT but an RB jersey because it was a different #...

powerfuldragon
04-17-2006, 08:41 AM
Fine. Let's stop talking about Bush and start talking about the previous season. How 'bout that Chiefs game?

remember the fight?

HOOK'EM
04-24-2006, 12:02 PM
5 more days till I get my authentic #5 Bush jersey!:yahoo: