PDA

View Full Version : J. Wells meets with Bills

dhaNim
04-11-2006, 03:41 PM
per KFFL:
Bills | Team visits with J. Wells
Tue, 11 Apr 2006 13:31:07 -0700

BuffaloBills.com reports the Buffalo Bills visited with free agent RB Jonathan Wells (Texans) Tuesday, April 11.

TheOgre
04-11-2006, 03:45 PM
Good luck Wells.

Grid
04-11-2006, 03:48 PM
hope we keep him. Do we have a 3rd round tender on him?

Runner
04-11-2006, 03:49 PM
Nope. He's unrestricted.

Grid
04-11-2006, 04:11 PM
that doesnt sound right... i could have swore that we had given him a deal that would have to be matched

infantrycak
04-11-2006, 04:29 PM
that doesnt sound right... i could have swore that we had given him a deal that would have to be matched

Wells has acrued 4 years in the league. He no longer qualifies for RFA tenders. The only things which can be stuck on him are franchise and transition tags which were not used.

TEXANS84
04-11-2006, 04:31 PM
Payback...although at a lesser scale.

Grid
04-11-2006, 04:31 PM
wow..so we let him go. That sucks.

TEXANRED
04-11-2006, 04:41 PM
Payback...although at a lesser scale.
No no..............Payback would be letting the Bills have a 42-0 lead and the Texans coming back to win the game after half time. Payback would be letting Jim Eddy coach the Bills D.

Trenches
04-11-2006, 05:12 PM
J Wells and a 5th rounder for Moulds? I'll take it!

Texas
04-11-2006, 05:18 PM
J Wells and a 5th rounder for Moulds? I'll take it!

Hmm good way to put it...I agree!

thunderkyss
04-11-2006, 05:49 PM

I think you're thinking about Peek.

TMac48
04-11-2006, 05:50 PM
No no..............Payback would be letting the Bills have a 42-0 lead and the Texans coming back to win the game after half time. Payback would be letting Jim Eddy coach the Bills D.
Please don't talk about that.

Grid
04-11-2006, 06:03 PM
I think you're thinking about Peek.

I think you are right.. I was thinking that we had tendered an offer to them both..but I may have been imagining things.

ahh well...id hate to see him go. I think he is useful to us. If he does go..we REALLY will need an RB.

Morency aint ready to be starting, and Davis cant make it a whole year without getting injured.

Mike Kerns
04-11-2006, 06:12 PM
If he does go..we REALLY will need an RB.

Morency aint ready to be starting, and Davis cant make it a whole year without getting injured.

Reggie:superman: Reggie:redtowel: Reggie!!!:yahoo:

All kidding aside, I think we would be trying harder to keep Wells if that wasn't the plan :twocents:

thegr8fan
04-11-2006, 06:19 PM
I think the Texans didn't offer him a contract for a reason. No sense having a 250lb RB who doesn't run like one. Last year he actually did a decent job, but still only got significant playing time when we ran out of RB's due to injury. One out of four years of DECENT playing doesn't cut it in the NFL. I am actually surprised to see ANYONE interested in him at all.

Grid
04-11-2006, 06:28 PM
eh.. since we instituted the zone blocking scheme, Wells has done very well I thought. Every time he has started he has played hard and put up fairly good numbers.

Personally ive never gotten hung up on the 250lb thing. So he doesnt run like Bettis.. oh well.. the important thing is getting the job done, and he seemed to do that. His size makes him durable..and that is very useful as well. Learning the fullback position has also been increasing his value.

All in all id like to keep him.

hollywood_texan
04-11-2006, 06:45 PM
As I understand it, the importance of Wells was mainly special teams play with the addition of a few carries from game to game and filling in when someone is hurt.

It would be nice to keep him, but I don't know what he is looking for in compensation and does that make sense.

Maybe he asking too much for the value he provides? I hope so because I thought he was an asset due to the special teams play last year.

Mr. White
04-11-2006, 07:14 PM
I'll hate to se him go.

I've always been partial to the "bruiser" style of running back. I thought he'd be the one to benefit the most from the coaching change. He seemed to be a presence on special teams also.

He always really stepped up when we needed him.

I'd rather see Mathis go.

dirty steve
04-11-2006, 08:02 PM
I'll hate to se him go.

I've always been partial to the "bruiser" style of running back. I thought he'd be the one to benefit the most from the coaching change. He seemed to be a presence on special teams also.

makes sense. i guess wells made the pro bowl last year was named as the Texans first ever All-Pro selection.

other than that, i have nothing wrong with j. wells. guy always shut his mouth and busted his tail on special teams and when/always DD got hurt. would like to see him come back, but wish him luck if he sees a better opportunity.

Vinny
04-11-2006, 08:22 PM
Another top half draft pick that has not really done anything in the NFL.... we have Morency, DD, and HOPEFULLY a QB that can run too! Kubiak is a GURU.... he can draft John Doe in the 6th round and the guy will be a 1000 yard rusher...... no need to keep Wells. :)kWells was a second day pick. I don't think we are going to miss him.

Grid
04-11-2006, 08:24 PM
im not gonna miss him as much as I would miss a starter.. but I liked having him on the depth chart. He was dependable.. and provided good depth, and contributed to the team.

edo783
04-11-2006, 08:25 PM
I haven't read anywhere that the Bills have signed him. Anyone have news that he has?

cap1
04-11-2006, 08:50 PM
I'll hate to se him go.

Why would you rather see mathis go? He was a pro-bowl return man his rookie year. Please explain.

thegr8fan
04-11-2006, 09:20 PM
I am continually amazed at the 'parroting' of this board regarding DD's supposed injury problems. The guy missed 2 games in 2003, 1 game in 2004, and yeah, 5 games in 2005. David Carr missed 4 games in 2003, guess he has an injury problem also. :rolleyes:

If Wells had of been a servicable RB, and not #3, sometimes #4 RB on the roster, DD wouldn't have had to run like HE was 250 lbs.

then there is the gr8 special teams player parroting of Wells. I have personally made it a point to watch his special teams play, in person. It is not anything special. In fact it was rather disappointing. The guy played the left side of the wedge and repeatedly blocked absolutely NO ONE, on more than just a few occasions, I might add.

Now to give credit to him, he did bring up his game last season. And perhaps if he was somewhere that was going to utilize him more, he might improve even more. Then again, perhaps not. Some team MIGHT be willing to take that chance.

aj.
04-11-2006, 09:24 PM
Wells was the first pick on Day 2 (4th rd - 2002) if I recall correctly.

There were at least two more games that DD started or played in, but had to leave early due to injury - those don't show up in the stat line - so he's missed all or part of at least 10 games in three seasons. He has injury issues - squaaaak. Compare him to other top RBs and he is one of the least durable. That's why drafting a RB, especially one that appears to be pretty good, isn't all that stupid.

aj.
04-11-2006, 09:32 PM
Yeah, I was just skimming posts and missed your other one...

thegr8fan
04-11-2006, 09:38 PM
He has injury issues - squaaaak.LOL, literally.

considering the RB's the Texans HAVE drafted and THEIR injury problems, (Hollings, Morency) and DD looks like a shining star.

I hope/wish/pray that Kubiak drafts some help for DD and implements the Denver 'RB by committee' style. Until then DD will just have to keep running like he is 250 instead of his actual weight of 215.

aj.
04-11-2006, 09:44 PM
Morency?

MorKnolle
04-11-2006, 10:25 PM
As I understand it, the importance of Wells was mainly special teams play with the addition of a few carries from game to game and filling in when someone is hurt.

It would be nice to keep him, but I don't know what he is looking for in compensation and does that make sense.

Maybe he asking too much for the value he provides? I hope so because I thought he was an asset due to the special teams play last year.

Wells does not really add anything to the new offense, especially if we are going to draft Bush, as it looks like we are. He has a bit of a reputation of being a sour grape in the lockerroom when he's not getting his way and getting the ball as much as he wants. He was a pretty good part of special teams play, but I've heard Kubiak has said he isn't going to keep people on the roster to be special teams players and that he expects everyone to be able to contribute on offense or defense, and I don't think he sees Wells bringing anything worthwhile to the table.

I'll hate to se him go.

That's part of the problem, Wells isn't a bruiser back. He should be with his size but he just didn't run like that. At least Mathis is a very good kick returner and has amazing speed that can hopefully be turned into a solid WR in a year or two, whereas Wells didn't really have any room to improve.

YodAa
04-11-2006, 10:36 PM
im glad Wells is gone now we'll hear less from those idiots that are still asking why we're drafting Bush and they won't be able to say that we already have DD Wells and Morency

Hardcore Texan
04-11-2006, 10:38 PM
LOL, literally.

considering the RB's the Texans HAVE drafted and THEIR injury problems, (Hollings, Morency) and DD looks like a shining star.

I hope/wish/pray that Kubiak drafts some help for DD and implements the Denver 'RB by committee' style. Until then DD will just have to keep running like he is 250 instead of his actual weight of 215.

Davis should be more durable when he is not the key ingredient in the offense also. A large part of his "durability" has been his overuse (a.k.a. lack of a passing attack and not sharing the load with another RB). I suspect with Moulds & Putzier getting open and freeing up A.J. a bit more should help.

Also, I can handle, say, Davis getting 20 carries and Bush (tenatively) getting 10-15. Morency can fill the role as a solid back-up and continue to develope IMO.

infantrycak
04-11-2006, 10:54 PM
then there is the gr8 special teams player parroting of Wells. I have personally made it a point to watch his special teams play, in person. It is not anything special.

Wells certainly upgraded his game over the last couple seasons, (by the way, he has spent several weeks on the injury report as well, especially for someone in such light duty--I believe he has missed 4 games total during the last 3 years) but his special teams contribution does seem overrated. He had 6 tackles last year. Moran Norris had 7, Marcellus Rivers had 6 (and seemed to be coming on as a beast in coverage) and Bryan Pittman (yes the LS) had 5.

Mr. White
04-11-2006, 11:51 PM
makes sense. i guess wells made the pro bowl last year was named as the Texans first ever All-Pro selection.

BFD. I'm a guy on a message board with an opinion like anyone else.
I know it won't happen and I don't care a whole lot that it won't.

Why would you rather see mathis go? He was a pro-bowl return man his rookie year. Please explain.

Just finished looking at the other thread about his attitude problem. Awesome return guy, but that's about it. (We're about to get another one of those that can actually catch.) My real point (that I don't feel real strong about) is that I'd rather have a good soldier.

....JMO.... I don't plan on heading up the charge to dump Mathis.

Grid
04-12-2006, 12:26 AM
Gr8... two things.

1. your starting RB missing 2 games is a big deal.

2. He may have only missed a couple full games... but he played more partial games due to injury.

3. When he came back from injuries, you could tell he wasnt 100%, and it greatly effected his performance.

open your eyes instead of pointing fingers at people who say stuff you dont like.

thegr8fan
04-12-2006, 08:30 AM
open your eyes instead of pointing fingers at people who say stuff you dont like. hello Mr. Pot, this is Mr. Kettle.

I quote things so that when I make a response it is in context. My responses are usually with things I don't agree with. I don't have a problem with other people's opinions, no matter how wrong they are, Grid. Opinions and analysis are what makes this board interesting, to me anyway.

and I think I pretty much add my own thoughts and opinions when I do post as counter arguments. You may not agree with them, but I'm big enough to understand that we aren't always going to agree.

DD has been overused both as a RB and a receiver. When the Texans get a RB to HELP DD, which obviously isn't WELLS, then his injury's will go down in number.

Try sticking to the topic and less on advising others on how wrong they are, Grid.

BigBull17
04-12-2006, 08:43 AM
Davis should be more durable when he is not the key ingredient in the offense also. A large part of his "durability" has been his overuse (a.k.a. lack of a passing attack and not sharing the load with another RB). I suspect with Moulds & Putzier getting open and freeing up A.J. a bit more should help.

Also, I can handle, say, Davis getting 20 carries and Bush (tenatively) getting 10-15. Morency can fill the role as a solid back-up and continue to develope IMO.

It will also help DD durability when Ds wont be able to stack ten in the box and cover both our pass and rush offense.

TheOgre
04-12-2006, 08:58 AM
I am continually amazed at the 'parroting' of this board regarding DD's supposed injury problems. The guy missed 2 games in 2003, 1 game in 2004, and yeah, 5 games in 2005. David Carr missed 4 games in 2003, guess he has an injury problem also. :rolleyes:

It wasn't just the games he missed that prompt us to say that. His performance seemed to dip considerably when he was playing with nagging injuries. He had a large stretch of games in 2004 when he was rather ineffective.

dwilt72
04-12-2006, 10:54 AM
I hope Wells doesn't leave. He's not the best RB in the world, he's just a good football player. He does a lot of things for this team, including playing both RB spots. I would rather see Morency go than Wells.

dwilt72
04-12-2006, 10:56 AM

The difference is that DD has YET to play in all 16 games. Carr missed four game in ONE year, BIG DIFFERENCE!

Vinny
04-12-2006, 11:11 AM
I hope Wells doesn't leave. He's not the best RB in the world, he's just a good football player. He does a lot of things for this team, including playing both RB spots. I would rather see Morency go than Wells.Geez, no way I take Wells over Morency. Nobody is rushing to sign A-train lite. Morency has clear starter potential in this league imo...Wells is a big man who runs like a waterboy. No thanks.

chuckm
04-12-2006, 11:12 AM
I'll hate to see him go ..... lots of inspired special teams play but he does run "small" most of the time ....

Keldar
04-12-2006, 03:23 PM
I think the Texans didn't offer him a contract for a reason. No sense having a 250lb RB who doesn't run like one. Last year he actually did a decent job, but still only got significant playing time when we ran out of RB's due to injury. One out of four years of DECENT playing doesn't cut it in the NFL. I am actually surprised to see ANYONE interested in him at all.

Agreed!!

jerek
04-12-2006, 03:40 PM
Geez, no way I take Wells over Morency. Nobody is rushing to sign A-train lite. Morency has clear starter potential in this league imo...Wells is a big man who runs like a waterboy. No thanks.

Agreed, simply enough.

dwilt72
04-12-2006, 03:45 PM
Geez, no way I take Wells over Morency. Nobody is rushing to sign A-train lite. Morency has clear starter potential in this league imo...Wells is a big man who runs like a waterboy. No thanks.

Name one team Morency could start for. I haven't seen anything special in him.

Dime
04-13-2006, 12:48 AM

You have to remember that Vinny liked Hollings too.. rofl. Just taking a poke to ya vinny.. hehe

Dime
04-13-2006, 12:49 AM
Name one team Morency could start for. I haven't seen anything special in him.

I can name one..

USC.. all thier RB's are gone now.. grin

Dime
04-13-2006, 12:52 AM
Go ahead you all.. bash on Wells like you are. He played here with NO chance at RB. While being a rookie, he was taught wrong and set behind a HORRIBLE line that wouldnt do anyone favors. Once he got more exp, and a touch better (not much) o-line, he started making a difference. Give him crap all you want, but I think he is alot better football player then you all make him to be.

Dime
04-13-2006, 12:54 AM
oh.. and one more thing. He played. He didnt talk crap about anyone and he worked hard at what ever he was asked to do. He didnt run to the media and down the team. He played.

dwilt72
04-13-2006, 03:31 PM
Go ahead you all.. bash on Wells like you are. He played here with NO chance at RB. While being a rookie, he was taught wrong and set behind a HORRIBLE line that wouldnt do anyone favors. Once he got more exp, and a touch better (not much) o-line, he started making a difference. Give him crap all you want, but I think he is alot better football player then you all make him to be.

I agree 100%. Wells gets a bad rap because he ended up being the starting RB in his rookie season behind a bad O-Line. That first year they really had a hard time moving the ball and could not run it well at all. For the most part when he has filled in for DD, he has done well and has had some 100 yard games. He's not the best RB in the league, but he's a good football player and you can't have too many of those on a team. He knows his role, keeps his mouth shut and does his job. A lot of players could learn something from the way he goes about his business.

TexansTrueFan
04-13-2006, 06:37 PM
I agree 100%. Wells gets a bad rap because he ended up being the starting RB in his rookie season behind a bad O-Line. That first year they really had a hard time moving the ball and could not run it well at all. For the most part when he has filled in for DD, he has done well and has had some 100 yard games. He's not the best RB in the league, but he's a good football player and you can't have too many of those on a team. He knows his role, keeps his mouth shut and does his job. A lot of players could learn something from the way he goes about his business.

guess u could say the same about D.D in 2005 than, but he still managed to get 900 plus yrds. plus carr was sacked almost as many times as he was in 2002. so whats that tell ya ???? Is D.D good or what. Oh P.S BYE wells !

Malloy
04-14-2006, 11:28 AM

Agree completely. Morency only got a few chances last year, but it was really uplifting to see him run. He has crazy speed and even more importantly, he has the energy and willpower to become a REAL GOOD RB in the NFL. Add to that the Kubiak factor, and we might just have our second RB, without drafting a Reggie Bush.

Let's see what happens on draft day, then we'll know what Kubiak sees in these players. :)

dwilt72
04-14-2006, 05:13 PM
He has crazy speed

Wasn't his 40 time 4.66 or something like that?

texan279
04-14-2006, 06:10 PM
Wasn't his 40 time 4.66 or something like that?

Morency's 40 was a 4.65 and Domanick's was a 4.63.

04-14-2006, 07:36 PM
Morency's 40 was a 4.65 and Domanick's was a 4.63.

Morency was running with a bummed hamstring, I think.