PDA

View Full Version : Texans to look at Panthers guard?

whiskeyrbl
04-09-2006, 11:57 AM
Texans | Team may visit with Reyes
Sun, 9 Apr 2006 09:00:50 -0700

Darin Gantt, of the Rock Hill Herald, reports the Houston Texans may have a visit with free agent OG Tutan Reyes (Panthers).

Anyone know anything about this guy?

infantrycak
04-09-2006, 12:19 PM
5th round draft pick in 2000 by the Saints. Didn't play his 1st four years. Started 12 games in 2004 for the Panthers and all of last year. 2004 gave up 2.5 sacks and had 4 penalties--1 false start 3 holds. 2005 gave up 1 sack and had 2 penalties, both holding.

edo783
04-09-2006, 12:22 PM
Nope. Is he their starting Gaurd? If so, that's a good thing. IMO, the Pats realy screwed us with the sweethart deal that they and the agent for the gaurd for them did. I think we were really counting on having him and took a real run at him and the agent and Pats did a deal for a LOT less than what we were offering. Sure, the Pats are a better team and might be in the hunt and all, but there was a seriouse amount of cash difference. So, given all that, it doesn't surprise me at all that the club would still be looking for an experienced starting level gaurd to shore up the O-line, because it isn't all that good yet on the right side.

YoungTexanFan
04-09-2006, 01:17 PM
given all that, it doesn't surprise me at all that the club would still be looking for an experienced starting level gaurd to shore up the O-line, because it isn't all that good yet on the right side.

...or the left side for that matter...

customdano
04-09-2006, 01:22 PM
Played mostly RG but some at left, part of a line that allowed only 33 sacks good run blocker. things are looking up!

http://www.panthers.com/team/teamRosterDetails.jsp?id=4185

Texas
04-09-2006, 10:41 PM
Sweet. Anything is better then Wade/Wiegert IMO.

TexanFan881
04-09-2006, 10:51 PM
Could give our Oline a little competition.

Errant Hothy
04-09-2006, 11:24 PM
Could also mean no O-line at #33? Not sure if I'm for that.

F-minus67
04-09-2006, 11:35 PM
seems like more and more evidence is starting to build up for moving Weigert to RT. Looks like Wade might just be on his way out.

SAMURAITEXAN
04-10-2006, 12:03 AM
seems like more and more evidence is starting to build up for moving Weigert to RT. Looks like Wade might just be on his way out.
It seems to me like adding depth and competition at guard position. Are we just going cut Wade or is there any trading value for him? Kindly let me know ya’ll thoughts on this.idonno:

dwilt72
04-10-2006, 10:54 AM
Shoot, a lineman that only gave up 3 sacks in two years....WHAT A CONCEPT! Sounds good to me!

Runner
04-10-2006, 11:13 AM
It seems to me like adding depth and competition at guard position. Are we just going cut Wade or is there any trading value for him? Kindly let me know ya’ll thoughts on this.idonno:

The cut Wade question. We need some input from one of our contract/players association/cap experts.

As I understand it, if they cut Wade now since he is technically still injured, not only would he get the rest of his bonus, but the Texans would also have to do a settlement with him.

It they wait until he is ready to play and then cut him there is no settlement. I'm not sure what ready to play means though. Does he just have to successfully complete some drills in practice?

Any comments?

ubecool454
04-10-2006, 03:21 PM
Texans | Team may visit with Reyes
Sun, 9 Apr 2006 09:00:50 -0700

Darin Gantt, of the Rock Hill Herald, reports the Houston Texans may have a visit with free agent OG Tutan Reyes (Panthers).

Anyone know anything about this guy?
decent o lineman..could be a starter here.

Meloy
04-10-2006, 03:31 PM
Not actually bitchin.. but are there no good "pass" blocking o linemen? We got AJ, Putzier, DD, Bush, Walters, Mathis and Moulds & we keep looking at run blockers? I know DD and Bush and maybe Morency will be good running backs as well as receivers, but sheesh!

PapaL
04-10-2006, 05:11 PM
The cut Wade question. We need some input from one of our contract/players association/cap experts.

As I understand it, if they cut Wade now since he is technically still injured, not only would he get the rest of his bonus, but the Texans would also have to do a settlement with him.

It they wait until he is ready to play and then cut him there is no settlement. I'm not sure what ready to play means though. Does he just have to successfully complete some drills in practice?

Any comments?

If we cut save some cash and get rid of some of the previous regimes mistakes, I'm all for it.

jacquescas
04-10-2006, 06:00 PM
honestly at this point i'd go forward with him and wouldn't try and cut him until training camp if he can't compete for a spot. we are goping to lose money so its not like we will have more money to sign a free agent.

TheOgre
04-10-2006, 06:48 PM
If we sign him, then it appears Wiegert will almost definitely play RT. It also means that just about anything can happen with our picks in the draft. I still think we should bolster the O-line, but that doesn't appear to be their plan.

TexanFan881
04-10-2006, 07:08 PM
Not actually bitchin.. but are there no good "pass" blocking o linemen? We got AJ, Putzier, DD, Bush, Walters, Mathis and Moulds & we keep looking at run blockers? I know DD and Bush and maybe Morency will be good running backs as well as receivers, but sheesh!

Once we have a running threat we can open up our passing game :shrug:

Runner
04-10-2006, 07:50 PM
If we sign him, then it appears Wiegert will almost definitely play RT. It also means that just about anything can happen with our picks in the draft. I still think we should bolster the O-line, but that doesn't appear to be their plan.

I'd bet they already have Weigert slotted at RT. Also, a signing like this could move McKinney to the bench as a backup depending on how camp goes.

It is interesting they aren't looking at many free agent tackles.

texanskan
04-10-2006, 08:18 PM
I'd bet they already have Weigert slotted at RT. Also, a signing like this could move McKinney to the bench as a backup depending on how camp goes.

It is interesting they aren't looking at many free agent tackles.

No way Steve Mckinney is the best gaurd on this team.

The line is LT-Pitts LG-McKinney C-Flanigan RG-Open as of now RT-Weigert

Runner
04-10-2006, 08:30 PM
No way Steve Mckinney is the best gaurd on this team.

The line is LT-Pitts LG-McKinney C-Flanigan RG-Open as of now RT-Weigert

Is that:

1) No way. Steve Mckinney is the best guard on this team.

or

2) No way Steve Mckinney is the best guard on this team.

They mean the complete opposite of each other. Punctuation is important, even if you have to press an extra key. :)

I don't think your list is the line anyway.

texanskan
04-10-2006, 08:35 PM
Is that:

1) No way. Steve Mckinney is the best guard on this team.

or

2) No way Steve Mckinney is the best guard on this team.

They mean the complete opposite of each other. Punctuation is important, even if you have to press an extra key. :)

I don't think your list is the line anyway.

My bad number one.

SAMURAITEXAN
04-10-2006, 10:44 PM

Any comments?
Thanks for your comment. So when we sign this guy from panthers, more than likely WADE gets cut. But the timing of cutting WADE will be determined on his status. I guess there isn't any trading value for him. I was just hoping we get something in return.:brickwall

TexansNeedRBin05
04-10-2006, 11:00 PM
I'm for it, anything to shape the Oline up because with all the stuff we have we got a legit chance of being a contender if we can do a 7 step drop.

Runner
04-10-2006, 11:05 PM
Thanks for your comment. So when we sign this guy from panthers, more than likely WADE gets cut. But the timing of cutting WADE will be determined on his status. I guess there isn't any trading value for him. I was just hoping we get something in return.:brickwall

I don't know if they'll cut Wade or not - he'd have a big dead money hit. I was just trying to get clarification on cutting players coming back from injury.

SAMURAITEXAN
04-10-2006, 11:09 PM
I don't know if they'll cut Wade or not - he'd have a big dead money hit. I was just trying to get clarification on cutting players coming back from injury.
Noted. Thanks. Anyway, I surely hope we can improve our O-line.:texflag: :fans:

Maddict5
04-10-2006, 11:22 PM
^^i was wondering why no1 else was interested in this guy?? looks like a decent G on paper

Texans_Chick
04-10-2006, 11:47 PM
This is what a friend of mine who is a Panthers fan said, FWIW:

"Tutan Reyes is not totally sucky. He was a slightly below adequate guard for us. If I recall correctly, your line was not so great last season, and I would think he would be good depth if not a starter. Depends on who else you get. We do have good coaches here, and he was good in college, so he is still salvageable if you have a good line coach. Tell them to sign him if he is cheap."

infantrycak
04-11-2006, 12:41 AM
Texas--if you can provide a link for your prior post (which has been made invisible for now along with the responses quoting it) I will restore the posts.

dalemurphy
04-11-2006, 01:39 AM
gimme, gimme, gimme... the Jimmy Herndon, Victor Riley, Milford Brown era in Houston is just about over. In five months we are going to be witnessing the new era... We're going to like the new era. Toughness, nastiness, cohesiveness, as well as a lot of sore ankles and knees on our opponents are the things the new era will consist off.

Johnny Utah
04-11-2006, 07:02 AM
#76 Tutan Reyes | OG

Comment:
Shows good body control at times, possesses adequate agility and flashes the ability to adjust to the moving target at the second level. As a pass blocker, keeps feet moving, has good lateral mobility and flashes the ability to redirect inside after starting outside. Lacks prototypical size, won't engulf many defenders at the point of attack and won't wear many defenders down over the course of the game. Lacks the lower body strength to regularly push the pile in the running game and struggles when massive two-gap defenders line up over head. While has above-average range doesn't always stay under control in space, loses balance far too often and is an inconsistent downfield blocker.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=5160

Texas
04-11-2006, 12:57 PM
It was only a joke :spy:

customdano
04-12-2006, 10:30 AM
KFFL says Reyes met with Texans. I hope it was a good meeting..............

http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl

TheOgre
04-12-2006, 02:37 PM
My bad number one.

What did you intend with that?
"My bad. Number one."
OR
"My BAD number one."

whiskeyrbl
04-12-2006, 02:58 PM
Texans | Reyes made visit
Wed, 12 Apr 2006 07:18:49 -0700

Allen Wilson, of the Buffalo News, reports free agent OG Tutan Reyes (Panthers) said he has visited the Houston Texans.

TexanFan881
04-12-2006, 03:01 PM
He has other visits set up so that can't be a good thing.