PDA

View Full Version : Wong's rehab slow, expected to miss 5-8 WEEKS

gtexan02
04-09-2006, 09:59 AM
Ouch, this could be a problem for us. Chalk up another OLB to our list of needs:

Texans | K. Wong not expected to be ready for the start of the season
Sat, 8 Apr 2006 13:05:47 -0700

Megan Manfull, writing for the Sporting News, reports Houston Texans MLB Kailee Wong (knee) has been putting in long hours in rehabilitation and in the weight room, determined to be healthy by the start of the season, but by all accounts, that won't happen. Wong likely will miss 5-8 weeks of the season. If newly signed LB Sam Cowart plays well while Wong is sidelined, Wong may move to outside linebacker.

per kffl.com

texan279
04-09-2006, 10:01 AM
Man this isn't good. Hopefully we'll see Orr and others get some time at LB this season. I like Wong but I wonder if it's time for him to move on.

Lucky
04-09-2006, 10:25 AM
I think the Texans should move Babin back to SOLB and draft a DE to share time with Peek at RDE. If Wong comes back, great. But, Kailee can't be counted on this season.

gtexan02
04-09-2006, 10:28 AM
Man this isn't good. Hopefully we'll see Orr and others get some time at LB this season. I like Wong but I wonder if it's time for him to move on.

Move on? I hope you're kidding. I understand he's no superstar, he's not a huge game changer, but:
1) He's only 29 (still the right side of 30)
2) He's a good signal caller for the defense (remember how much the coaches/players attitudes changed after he was injured)
3) At the very least, he provides veteran depth at a position we aren't strong at

I'm disapointed he's injured as well, but I like a 4-3 LB group of Orr Cowart Greenwood personally, and would like even more Wong Cowart Greenwood/Orr depending on how Orr peroforms the 1st half of the season

sprtsfanatic
04-09-2006, 10:31 AM
yeah i heard this news yesterday...not a good thing. earlier in the off season he seemed to be ahead of schedule and would certainly be ready for the season opener....I wonder what the set back was :confused:

texan279
04-09-2006, 10:37 AM
Move on? I hope you're kidding. I understand he's no superstar, he's not a huge game changer, but:
1) He's only 29 (still the right side of 30)
2) He's a good signal caller for the defense (remember how much the coaches/players attitudes changed after he was injured)
3) At the very least, he provides veteran depth at a position we aren't strong at

I'm disapointed he's injured as well, but I like a 4-3 LB group of Orr Cowart Greenwood personally, and would like even more Wong Cowart Greenwood/Orr depending on how Orr peroforms the 1st half of the season

Wong will be 30 next month, he is coming off of injury, we won't even see him on the field until midseason, and he will count $3.6 million against the cap this season. Seems kind of expensive to keep around for depth.

Mailman04
04-09-2006, 10:38 AM
Thomas Howard has reportedly slipped in the draft. If he is still there in Round 3, probably won't be, but if he is he might be worth a shot. I see Texans going Miami U in second round, Eric Winston or Kelly Jennings or outside shot Senorice Moss.

infantrycak
04-09-2006, 10:40 AM

Wong didn't call the signals. He replaced Sharper. Greenwood replaced Foreman and made the D calls.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
04-09-2006, 11:51 AM
DeMeco Ryans, come on down! :redtowel:

aj.
04-09-2006, 12:12 PM
I never buy into the "ahead of schedule" hype on NFL ACL recoveries, especially for a player who plays a position where multidirectional cut ability is essential (unlike a DT drive the sled guy). Nor do I consider Wong's progress "slow" if he's targeting October - early November. Many NFL players take a calendar year or more to recover from an ACL surgery. Remember that the ACL wasn't Wong's only problem.

Several weeks ago I posted something somewhere about Kailee coming on SR610 - late Feb maybe -- and saying he was "ahead of schedule" in recovery from his ACL surgery (which he had the first week of January). Counting 9 months (typical minimum NFL ACL recovery time) forward from the surgery date, took me to early October minimum that he would need be ready to be back on the field. That without even considering the patella tendon surgery he had right after the injury in October. His knee was pretty well wrecked and there's a real good chance that we will ever see the old Kailee ever again.

YoungTexanFan
04-09-2006, 12:14 PM
Thomas Howard has reportedly slipped in the draft. If he is still there in Round 3, probably won't be, but if he is he might be worth a shot. I see Texans going Miami U in second round, Eric Winston or Kelly Jennings or outside shot Senorice Moss.

What would lead you to believe or even wish that we would draft Jennings at #33??

He is a reach at #65 even.

aj.
04-09-2006, 12:26 PM
Wong didn't call the signals. He replaced Sharper. Greenwood replaced Foreman and made the D calls.

Not that it really matters but Wong did make the front calls up to the point when he was injured. Foreman did the same in '04. I guess it didn't matter to them which ILB the sound came from. They were probably going with the guy who they thought could do the best job of the two. You don't have that 'luxury' in a 4-3.

infantrycak
04-09-2006, 12:29 PM
Not that it really matters but Wong did make the front calls up to the point when he was injured. Foreman did the same in '04. I guess it didn't matter to them which ILB the sound came from. They were probably going with the guy who they thought could do the best job of the two. You don't have that 'luxury' in a 4-3.

OK, thought I heard a Greenwood interview about him learning to make the playcalls back before the season started. Oh well.

Ibar_Harry
04-09-2006, 12:41 PM

That's all Capers ever talked about was how important Wong was to him. In fact after Wong went down, I thought the gig was up and that certainly seemed to be the case. I didn't believe he had anyone else he would trust making those calls.

Jwwillis
04-09-2006, 01:02 PM
yeah i heard this news yesterday...not a good thing. earlier in the off season he seemed to be ahead of schedule and would certainly be ready for the season opener....I wonder what the set back was :confused:

My thoughts exactally. He was doin great, better than Pane who developed an infection (cadaver parts can do that ). This means Wong wont be 100% this season at all.

HJam72
04-09-2006, 01:12 PM
Shouldn't Wong have been moved back to OLB anyway? I thought Cowart was most likely going to start at ILB.

F-minus67
04-09-2006, 01:19 PM
This is the reason why wali rainer was signned. He is a solid player, but nothing special.

Vinny
04-09-2006, 01:21 PM
This is the reason why wali rainer was signned. He is a solid player, but nothing special.I'd characterize Wong that way too.

nunusguy
04-09-2006, 01:39 PM
Hopefully we'll see Orr and others get some time at LB this season.
Orr is in the same boat with Peek, Babin, & Anderson since none of them have
any experience as LBs in the 4-3. They are all 3-4 OLB tweeners who were
DEs in college.

PapaL
04-09-2006, 02:03 PM
Shouldn't Wong have been moved back to OLB anyway? I thought Cowart was most likely going to start at ILB.

Thats what I was thinking. If Wong isnt ready and our new LB's dont pan out in TC, I'm sure Babin or Peek would see time at OLB (hopefully while a rookie is learning the scheme).

mancunian
04-09-2006, 03:03 PM
Why hasn't anyone mentioned Terry Pierce? He was back up to Al Wilson in Denver and he could probably do a job for us.

infantrycak
04-09-2006, 03:04 PM
Orr is in the same boat with Peek, Babin, & Anderson since none of them have
any experience as LBs in the 4-3. They are all 3-4 OLB tweeners who were
DEs in college.

Well yes, but Orr is a completely different body type and looks like an NFL LB not a potential 4-3 DE. He showed some promise at the end of last year and hopefully gets a shot.

Why hasn't anyone mentioned Terry Pierce? He was back up to Al Wilson in Denver and he could probably do a job for us.

Wouldn't be at all surprised to get to training camp and see Pierce getting reps higher on the depth chart than people are thinking.

Texas
04-09-2006, 09:36 PM
Good...We have quite a few linebackers that I beleive are just as good as wong...With experience they may become better. This will give them a chance and possibly give Cowart a chance to be our solid MLB and wong to be moved to OLB which I like better for him.

TexanFan881
04-09-2006, 09:40 PM
I think Orr can do a good job in replacement of Wong, and maybe he can keep the job when Wong comes back. I think Orr has a lot of potential considering how good he played last year.