PDA

View Full Version : Message from RB to VY supporters

bad
04-07-2006, 09:54 AM
You want the truth?!?

You can't HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!

Bush said he isn't concerned about backlash from Texans fans who want the team to draft former Texas quarterback Vince Young (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=135107). Young, scheduled to work out for the Texans on Friday, grew up in Houston and led the Longhorns to a 41-38 victory and a national championship against Bush and the Trojans in the Rose Bowl.

"I would hope it wouldn't turn out that way," Bush said. "I would hope that the city would welcome me with open arms. I know the fans want him to come here. But it's not the fans' choice. It's the choice of the program and the coaches."
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft06/news/story?id=2399901

You may not like the bluntness of thoses last two sentences, but as they say - the truth hurts.

real
04-07-2006, 10:03 AM
I love it...

thunderkyss
04-07-2006, 10:48 AM
He's right............ but never should have said it.

"I'm looking forward to changing their minds" something like that.

I'm not a Reggie hater, but that was very class-less, and unprofessional.

Mike Kerns
04-07-2006, 10:51 AM
that was very class-less, and unprofessional.

In the Draft Bush camp, it really wasn't. I liked it. There is nothing unprofessional about this guy. At least he wore a suit to the "interview.":stirpot:

thunderkyss
04-07-2006, 10:55 AM
In the Draft Bush camp, it really wasn't. I liked it. There is nothing unprofessional about this guy. At least he wore a suit to the "interview.":stirpot:

ouch:brickwall

jaayteetx
04-07-2006, 10:56 AM
I don't think it was classless or unproffesional, just stating the obvious. The fans have the right to voice their opinions by not showing up and spending their hard earned money, which I'm sure many VY supporters will do. I have the feeling though, they'll be coming back in groves when one Mr.Bush is tearing the league up.

Mike Kerns
04-07-2006, 11:05 AM
I have the feeling though, they'll be coming back in groves when one Mr.Bush is tearing the league up.

Fairweather fans ? In Houston ? Nooooooo.....

thunderkyss
04-07-2006, 11:08 AM
I don't think it was classless or unproffesional, just stating the obvious. The fans have the right to voice their opinions by not showing up and spending their hard earned money, which I'm sure many VY supporters will do. I have the feeling though, they'll be coming back in groves when one Mr.Bush is tearing the league up.

It is obvious...... hence doesn't needed to be stated...... Kinda don't start none, won't be none..

Why pick a fight with an entity that doesn't really exist?? Why give the reporters something to work with??

Why give Houstonians a reason to not like him??

KSig44
04-07-2006, 11:10 AM
Houstonians won't hate him for that remark, just the pro VY crowd.

nunusguy
04-07-2006, 11:16 AM
"But it's not the fans' choice. It's the choice of the program and the coaches."
I dunno.....but this kid is even smarter than I thought he was in the first place. In one simple, but direct statement Reggie makes a clarification for all to hear and understand, which is he knows who makes the decisions about the team personnel for the Texans, even if all the whiney VY-UT Longhorns
are confused and in denial about who is in charge.

tulexan
04-07-2006, 11:21 AM
Wait, I thought that the Texans chose the draft pick through the winner of the Sportsradio 610 online poll.

eltoro
04-07-2006, 11:25 AM
tulexan, I was thinking the same thing. However, it even sounds as if 610 has come to the realization the Texans are going to make the pick based on talent rather than emotion.

Seņor Stan
04-07-2006, 11:25 AM
Wait, I thought that the Texans chose the draft pick through the winner of the Sportsradio 610 online poll.

No, no, no. Its the online petitions that really count.

Lucky
04-07-2006, 11:36 AM
There was nothing unprofessional or classless in Bush's remark. Asked about a backlash from Vince Young supporters (and if there is a backlash - that would be classless), Bush gave a direct and honest answer. The first pick in the NFL draft belongs to the Houston Texans. Not the Vince Young fan club.

thunderkyss
04-07-2006, 11:42 AM
tulexan, I was thinking the same thing. However, it even sounds as if 610 has come to the realization the Texans are going to make the pick based on talent rather than emotion.

ok..... el toro....... I'm marking you down as a "Vince Young has no talent, and won't amount to anything at all in the NFL" crowd........

wait a minute, yep you're already there.

at least you're consistant.

There was nothing unprofessional or classless in Bush's remark. Asked about a backlash from Vince Young supporters (and if there is a backlash - that would be classless), Bush gave a direct and honest answer. The first pick in the NFL draft belongs to the Houston Texans. Not the Vince Young fan club.

There are a million things he could have said, that would've been better, and more appropriate. If he want's to be a smart-***, and you jokers still defend it, then what can I say??

As long as there is no emotions involved.

Mike Kerns
04-07-2006, 11:44 AM
No, no, no. Its the online petitions that really count

Yeah, we saw how well the Carlos Beltran one worked...:pigfly:

tulexan
04-07-2006, 11:45 AM

I've never heard anyone accuse Reggie of being classless or unprofessional. Let me remind you that after the Rose Bowl Reggie went into the Texas locker room and congratulated them on their great victory. He didn't say that they were still the best team and that the game proved nothing (Matt Leinart), he didn't go around screaming "Who's the Heisman now?" (Vince Young).

He is as professional as they come and was just making a true statement regarding the decision making process with the Texans.

eltoro
04-07-2006, 11:46 AM
thunder,

I like to poke at UT homers on this topic, but I do think VY has talent. However, I am not sure how it is going to translate at the NFL level (I don't proclaim to be an "Internet scout"), but most importantly I don't think he is the right fit at this time for the Texans. If Carr had a bad year with all of the changes made and VY stayed at UT for his senior year...that may have been a different story.

texan279
04-07-2006, 11:47 AM
ok..... el toro....... I'm marking you down as a "Vince Young has no talent, and won't amount to anything at all in the NFL" crowd........

wait a minute, yep you're already there.

at least you're consistant.

Just because he thinks Bush is more of a talent than Young means he thinks Vince has no talent and will fail in the NFL? I mean why should we draft Vince Young with the #1 pick when he is not even the #1 QB in this draft?

el toro
04-07-2006, 11:58 AM
The city will have forgotten VY by Game 2 of the season.

Mike Kerns
04-07-2006, 12:04 PM
he didn't go around screaming "Who's the Heisman now?" (Vince Young).

Argument over.

Mr. White
04-07-2006, 12:06 PM
I doubt it.

swtbound07
04-07-2006, 12:08 PM

Im one of the most pro-vince on this board, and a couple of things. One...i didnt find it classless....i didnt really find it anything but a statement. 2nd, I will not have "forgotten" vince by game 2, as someone said. However, like i said....this whole debate ends for me on the 29th...im not going to be on the boards saying i told you so everytime reggie gets tackled. I reserve the right to cheer for reggie/vince/whomever come gameday. Its not me being a fairweather fan to give my opinion on the potential success/failure of a prospect, however likely YOU think it is that he will be drafted. However, once he puts on the uniform, he is one of us...and unless his name is phillip buchanon or matt stevens there is really no reason to bash someone in a texans uniform during the season. AFTER next season we can come back and commiserate and talk about foresight and hindsight and all that, but i just want this place to be sane again after the draft.

thunderkyss
04-07-2006, 12:56 PM
"I'll be drafted by the Houston Texans......... Personally, I don't care what the fans think, because it doesn't matter...."

Make excuses all you like, but that's classless........ I'm not saying Reggie's a cad.... only that he should have said something else.

in none of my "We should draft Vince posts, will you see me bring this up" but you're crazy if you think that was the right thing for Reggie to say.

" I don't care about the fans, they don't affect my bottom line" imagine if Carr said that.

kastofsna
04-07-2006, 01:23 PM
seems like a fair response to the reporter's question to me.

thunderkyss
04-07-2006, 01:25 PM
seems like a fair response to the reporter's question to me.

fair response, and true....

still class-less.

KSig44
04-07-2006, 01:26 PM
Hmmm....I'm Houstonian and it doesn't hurt my feelings. Must be directed at those that support another player.

Mr. White
04-07-2006, 01:27 PM
Sounds to me like he chose his words pretty carefully. He got his point across, but I didn't take it as a dig at Houston fans.

Mike Kerns
04-07-2006, 01:28 PM
SWTBound, If only all Pro-Vince guys could be as reasonable as you...:ok:

kastofsna
04-07-2006, 01:29 PM
fair response, and true....

still class-less.
that's because you want to hold something against him. you want to draft vince young and you'll nitpick and spin every little thing, no matter how ridiculous, to get your point across.

swtbound07
04-07-2006, 01:38 PM
SWTBound, If only all Pro-Vince guys could be as reasonable as you...:ok:

im striving for passionate but reasonable.....im a fan of a team, not prospects. Just remember me as this voice after next season, because you wont hear it during the season. I've extrapolated on the type of career i think he will have, but if its with us, imma be cheering everytime he touches the ball hoping he breaks one. Im not sure if this makes me a hypocrite, but i hope you all get what im trying to say.

Mike Kerns
04-07-2006, 01:39 PM
I got ya. I was honestly against the Rockets taking Yao Ming, but I still pulled for him the second after his name was called.

thunderkyss
04-07-2006, 01:51 PM
that's because you want to hold something against him. you want to draft vince young and you'll nitpick and spin every little thing, no matter how ridiculous, to get your point across.

ARe you sure you're talking about me, and not the "Pro-Vincers" in general??

I don't hold nothing against Reggie at all. I admit, I didn't know who he was before the RoseBowl.

I was against Reggie Before the RoseBowl, because I don't think we need another running back. We not only had real holes, but real problems that #1 could've been used to fix. I was in the trade down camp, until Vince declared his eligibility for the draft.

Then, I was in the trade down, or draft Vince, still thinking we ain't got a problem at RunningBack, but a huge question mark at QB.

After all the Kubiak/Casserly wheel'n and deal'n, I'm honest about no longer feeling a need to trade down....... we've got enough picks to do what we need to do. I'm also honest about the possibility of drafting Reggie....... damn you Sage Rosenfells. I'm also honest(more or less) about the David Carr prospect we've been looking at for 4 years.

I think I've done well not hating on Reggie to make my case for Vince.

You think it was class-less for Vince to scream"who's the Heisman??"??
I won't argue....... I can see your point.

Class-less to show up at the WhiteHouse for dinner with the President in sweats?? I'd say stupid, but you can call it what you want.

the 6 thing.......... well, I generally stay away from that one. Not much you can say.

"I don't give a $4iyt what the fans think. They don't sign my paycheck"

Class-less, and you know it.

KSig44
04-07-2006, 01:53 PM
And when VY yelled "Who's the Heisman now?" What was that? Once again, the VY crowd pulls out only the fact that prove their point instead of the whole picture.

Mike Kerns
04-07-2006, 01:53 PM
I didn't know who he was before the RoseBowl.

I was against Reggie Before the RoseBowl, because I don't think we need another running back.

If you didn't know about him before the Rosebowl, how could you of been against him BEFORE the Rosebowl ?:confused:

swtbound07
04-07-2006, 01:54 PM
And when VY yelled "Who's the Heisman now?" What was that? Once again, the VY crowd pulls out only the fact that prove their point instead of the whole picture.

he did put that in the post right above yours.....reading is fundamental

kastofsna
04-07-2006, 01:56 PM
what in god's glorious name are you blabbering about. i don't care what young does that is "class-less," i'm just pointing out your clear attempt to hype up young by downing bush. statements like
are similar to what politicians use when trying to smear their opponents. you're going overboard to interperet one sentence as an attack on the fans, and using it as an example as to why houston shouldn't draft him.

thunderkyss
04-07-2006, 02:15 PM
what in god's glorious name are you blabbering about. i don't care what young does that is "class-less," i'm just pointing out your clear attempt to hype up young by downing bush. statements like

are similar to what politicians use when trying to smear their opponents. you're going overboard to interperet one sentence as an attack on the fans, and using it as an example as to why houston shouldn't draft him.

There you go again, I find it hard to believe you're talking about me....... I never said we shouldn't draft Reggie because of this. I never said Reggie has no class because of this.

I said, it was class-less of him to say that, and he should have said something else.

I'm not using this to say the Texans shouldn't draft him. I'm not using this to say that he isn't a good person. I'm simply saying he shouldn't have said it. It is class-less, and unprofessional.......... I really don't see how we are arguing about this.

If Vince said the same thing, and you said what I said, I wouldn't have got involved to try and defend it. But if I did, I'd say, "Yeah, he should've just said that he'll do his best to change the fans minds."

It's one thing for a 10 year veteran to forget why he gets paid millions to play a game for a living........ Someone who hasn't played a down yet....... totally different. The fans might not have a say in if he'll be drafted by the Texans, much less whether he'll be the #1 overall, but the overall idea is to make the fans happy.

It was the wrong thing for him to say...... true or not true..... I wish he didn't say it....... and that's for his best interest, not mine.

bad
04-07-2006, 02:34 PM
"I'll be drafted by the Houston Texans......... Personally, I don't care what the fans think, because it doesn't matter...."
Reggie Bush never said that.

" I don't care about the fans, they don't affect my bottom line" imagine if Carr said that. He didn't say that either.

I doubt any potential NFL draft pick has ever said anything like that.

When Satan decides to collect on Karl Rove's debt, maybe you can be Dubya's new spinmaster.

Toss in a link where Reggie Bush says any of those things (so I can read the spin-less version) and you'll have my apologies.

Until then, this is nothing but libelous garbage.

swtbound07
04-07-2006, 02:37 PM
But it's not the fans' choice.

Thats is what is quoted on the first post of the page. Like I said earlier, i didnt take anything from it. Different strokes for different folks. shrugs.

thunderkyss
04-07-2006, 02:41 PM
When Satan decides to collect on Karl Rove's debt, maybe you can be Dubya's new spinmaster.

Toss in a link where Reggie Bush says any of those things (so I can read the spin-less version) and you'll have my apologies.

"I would hope it wouldn't turn out that way," Bush said. "I would hope that the city would welcome me with open arms. I know the fans want him to come here. But it's not the fans' choice. It's the choice of the program and the coaches."

IT is very possible, that I did read it wrong, and blew this whole thing out of proportion.

Ok, I was wrong...... I need to clean my glasses a bit.... they've got some strange erngish tint in them.......

where'd that come from.

kastofsna
04-07-2006, 02:41 PM
Reggie Bush never said that.
He didn't say that either.
I doubt any potential NFL draft pick has ever said anything like that.

but he clearly doesn't hold anything against reggie. :rolleyes:

Errant Hothy
04-07-2006, 02:43 PM
How is he supposed to react, not that what he said was wrong or anything close to it, whne I'm sure Rich freakin' Lord isn't teh only homer asking Reggie Bush about VY.

I really, really, really ahte to say this but the sportradio here in Dallas is much better then it is in Houston. Gawd I feel dirty for even typing that.

thunderkyss
04-07-2006, 02:46 PM
but he clearly doesn't hold anything against reggie. :rolleyes:

Click on my name, search all my posts, find where I've said something hateful against reggie....... something that isn't popular opinion, or fact.... go ahead.

I don't hate the kid.

With what we've done in FA........ I'm fine, if I were as sold on Carr as Kubiak appears to be...... let's draft Reggie......... woohoo......

bad
04-07-2006, 02:59 PM
IT is very possible, that I did read it wrong, and blew this whole thing out of proportion.

Ok, I was wrong...... I need to clean my glasses a bit.... they've got some strange erngish tint in them.......

where'd that come from. I don't care where that came from. It takes a big man to admit when he's wrong. :ok:

The more I read your posts the more I think it's just your way of expressing your wish that VY was our QB instead of Carr, and that's an opinion that's probably shared by many.

Reggie Bush, OTOH, doesn't seem to have any chinks in his armor. Bulletin Board bullets just bounce right off him.

Bamaborn-Texasbred
04-07-2006, 03:07 PM
Fairweather fans ? In Houston ? Nooooooo.....

I believe I'll be lining up for that Battle Red Bush jersey with you.

HJam72
04-07-2006, 03:11 PM
I'm sort of in the Bush camp at this point, but, honestly, I think Bush's statement was just a tad over the top too. Mainly, though, I think we need to take a step back and realize that these guys are very young and they're competing for fame and fortune here. They really shouldn't even be asked about their opinions of each other or expected to talk about it. It may be that they are extrememly unimpressed with each other (they have a right to their opinions) and that Bush is extremely unimpressed with all the UT fandome, but they have to try and be PC and not tick anybody off. It's hard for young, athletic, AGGRESSIVE men to hold all that back and, considering all of that, I think we need to be forgiving about it. One thing about Bush, in particular, is that the Texans haven't actually drafted him YET and, until that happens, he has no particular reason to be a Texans fan or a fan of Houston and its fans. I wouldn't really be if I were him, because he doesn't even know the city or its people. His loyalties, for now, are with USC and it's place and people. That will begin to change the minute he hears the crowd roar in his favor, if not sooner.

If I were either one of them, some of what's be said on this very message board would really tick me off. Bush is too small and he'll never (isn't man enough) succeed at running between the tackles. He'll get hurt too much. Young is stupid and can't be trusted to lead or team or call plays and/or audibles. They've been questioned by everyone in every way and it's happened in the papers and such too, except that it's been said in a more PC way. The truth is that they probably hate each others guts and are trying very hard to ignore all the criticism. Of course, it comes with the territory and don't think I feel sorry for them at all. I just think we would wise to consider things through their eyes, for as long as we can before the money and fame MAKE US SICK. :)

jerek
04-07-2006, 03:30 PM
im striving for passionate but reasonable.....im a fan of a team, not prospects. Just remember me as this voice after next season, because you wont hear it during the season. I've extrapolated on the type of career i think he will have, but if its with us, imma be cheering everytime he touches the ball hoping he breaks one. Im not sure if this makes me a hypocrite, but i hope you all get what im trying to say.

I do, and it makes sense, and I agree with you. If the unthinkable happens and we draft Vince, and okay, Carr doesn't work for us? Bring it on Vince. I will still be first in line to shake his hand and welcome him to the squad. I do not think he is the best use of the pick, but okay, if we draft him, then great, I want to see him succeed and I will have no sour grapes about it during the season.

I am a Texans fan. This team's leadership (upper level FO) has and continues to work toward putting a quality team on the field, and I will continue to give them my "fandom" in return.

And TK, I see what you mean about Bush's statement, though I wouldn't take it so far as "classless." Not as tactful as it could have been, though. Enough mountains out of molehills.

Sportsfan
04-07-2006, 03:45 PM

Agreed.

Htown34s
04-07-2006, 04:26 PM
What difference does all of this name calling and ***** talking do? They are both great players with bright NFL futures and there is a case for both players.

I wish everyone would get over it and be more mature.

tulexan
04-07-2006, 04:34 PM

I don't think that is necessarily accurate. Vince will never be forgotten by his fans, but they might not have as much of a problem with Reggie by game 1 or game 2 because of his explosive and electrifying style.

Porky
04-07-2006, 04:44 PM
I never said Reggie has no class because of this.

I said, it was class-less of him to say that, and he should have said something else.

Okay, back to back sentences. You never said he has no class, but is classless?

Hmmmmmmm.

I never said you don't have a clue. I just said you were clueless. :ok:

Mike Kerns
04-07-2006, 04:53 PM
I believe I'll be lining up for that Battle Red Bush jersey with you.

Sweet, we should get a tailgate party going:redtowel:

swtbound07
04-07-2006, 04:53 PM

Hmmmmmmm.

There is a difference between an act and a personal insult. By his logic, reggie did a classless action, but is not a classless person. Its actually quite a reasonable position in my head.

Mr. White
04-07-2006, 04:55 PM
What difference does all of this name calling and ***** talking do? They are both great players with bright NFL futures and there is a case for both players.

I wish everyone would get over it and be more mature.

...what he said.

MONARCH
04-07-2006, 04:56 PM
You want the truth?!?

You can't HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft06/news/story?id=2399901

You may not like the bluntness of thoses last two sentences, but as they say - the truth hurts.

NICE TRY GREAT PAL.....for you are making yourself look QUIET STUPID INDEED!

.....for if you should take a moment to really think about it.......we were certainly able to handle to TRUTH upon the night of the 2005/06 ROSE BOWL!

But then again, just where were you then.....? Somewhere in a bar looking and feeling quite BAD due to the loss....... GO FIGURE!

Our VY is indeed coming home to play.......
MONARCH

swtbound07
04-07-2006, 04:58 PM

.....for if you should take a moment to really think about it.......we were certainly able to handle to TRUTH upon the night of the 2005/06 ROSE BOWL!

But then again, just where were you then.....? Somewhere in a bar looking and feeling quite BAD due to the loss....... GO FIGURE!

Our VY is indeed coming home to play.......
MONARCH

I read and enjoy most of your stuff Monarch, but there isnt any reason to call anyone stupid, particularly when you mispell "Quite"....

bad
04-07-2006, 04:59 PM

MONARCH
Once again, please try to spell your words correctly when insulting someone else's intelligence.

tulexan
04-07-2006, 05:01 PM
I actually try to be loud stupid that way other people can hear what I say

dat_boy_yec
04-07-2006, 05:04 PM
ARe you sure you're talking about me, and not the "Pro-Vincers" in general??

I don't hold nothing against Reggie at all. I admit, I didn't know who he was before the RoseBowl.

I was against Reggie Before the RoseBowl, because I don't think we need another running back. We not only had real holes, but real problems that #1 could've been used to fix. I was in the trade down camp, until Vince declared his eligibility for the draft.

Then, I was in the trade down, or draft Vince, still thinking we ain't got a problem at RunningBack, but a huge question mark at QB.

After all the Kubiak/Casserly wheel'n and deal'n, I'm honest about no longer feeling a need to trade down....... we've got enough picks to do what we need to do. I'm also honest about the possibility of drafting Reggie....... damn you Sage Rosenfells. I'm also honest(more or less) about the David Carr prospect we've been looking at for 4 years.

I think I've done well not hating on Reggie to make my case for Vince.

You think it was class-less for Vince to scream"who's the Heisman??"??
I won't argue....... I can see your point.

Class-less to show up at the WhiteHouse for dinner with the President in sweats?? I'd say stupid, but you can call it what you want.

the 6 thing.......... well, I generally stay away from that one. Not much you can say.

Class-less, and you know it.
That's your interpretation, not what he said. You take it out of context and make it sound that way. He said I know what fans may want, but they aren't the ones that pull the strings. He acknowledged that he knew what the fan-base wanted. What would you have said.

I guess telling it the way it is has become class-less, does the truth hurt that much?

dat_boy_yec
04-07-2006, 05:11 PM
sorry, I guess I jumped the gun on my last post when it had already been straightened out.

Double Barrel
04-07-2006, 05:11 PM
The fans have the right to voice their opinions by not showing up and spending their hard earned money, which I'm sure many VY supporters will do.

Then they were never real TEXANS fans to begin with.

Only one thing to say to these people: Don't let the door hit you on the way out. :BananaWav HAVE FUN WEARING BABY BLUE, TOO!

Hmmmmmmm.

lol:

ps. Some folks are reading way too much into Reggie's comments. C'mon, give me a break. Grow a hide. :howdy:

newbiefan
04-07-2006, 08:06 PM
geezums people.....

Give TK a break, he already admitted he may have made too big a deal about the quote. Also, making a classless quote and being a classless person are completely different things (ex: making a bad play vs. being a bad player)

tulexan
04-08-2006, 12:14 AM
I think that now that the Texans have looked at Vince, they can now start negotiating with Bush and Joel Segal. I wouldn't be surprised if that process started next week. They no longer have to continue the charade that they are truly undecided on what to do. They brought both players in and can say that they have seen enough to make their decision.

thunderkyss
04-08-2006, 12:36 AM
I think that now that the Texans have looked at Vince, they can now start negotiating with Bush and Joel Segal. I wouldn't be surprised if that process started next week. They no longer have to continue the charade that they are truly undecided on what to do. They brought both players in and can say that they have seen enough to make their decision.

So if there's no contract signed by Sunday, and the Texans are still continuing their "charade", we can assume Vince is still being considered??

Nighthawk
04-08-2006, 12:51 AM

If a suit made you professional then . . . oh, I guess you knew that. Can I have it in the morning?

tulexan
04-08-2006, 12:55 AM
So if there's no contract signed by Sunday, and the Texans are still continuing their "charade", we can assume Vince is still being considered??

I said start the negotiation, not that he will be signed tomorrow.

Texans34Life
04-08-2006, 02:02 AM
Personality-wise:

Reggie Bush = LaDanian Tomlinson

Hopefully game wise, it will be:

Reggie Bush = LaDanian Tomlinson

MorKnolle
04-08-2006, 02:36 AM
He's right............ but never should have said it.

"I'm looking forward to changing their minds" something like that.

I don't think he meant it in any kind of snide way, I think he meant that he realizes a lot of the local fans like Vince Young and he intends to prove to them on the field that he is a good player and worthy of the #1 pick and win them over to be fans of his too, not that he is going to turn them against Vince.