PDA

View Full Version : Carr getting up to speed in Houston

Mike Kerns
04-06-2006, 04:34 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2006-04-06-nfl-report_x.htm

By Jim Corbett, USA TODAY
David Carr isn't looking over his shoulder, concerning himself with Vince Young mania.
The Texans quarterback understands the appeal if Houston were to draft Young, the hometown hero and national championship-winning former Texas quarterback.

LikeABoss
04-06-2006, 04:54 PM
Kubiak says he is taking the same approach he did with Plummer, rebuilding Carr's footwork and resetting his pre-snap reads of defensive fronts and coverages.

"We have to surround him with more talent to get David going." - Gary Kubiak

The biggest reason Houston may decide to select Bush? Southern California runs the same zone-blocking, one-cut-and-go system last year's fifth-ranked Broncos did.

"Reggie's been around that same system," Kubiak says. "I told the players recently, 'There's no greater friend to a quarterback than a running game.' It gives him a chance to throw against eight-man fronts. - Gary Kubiak

"I don't know what we're going to do with the pick, but I don't know how a guy like Reggie Bush can't help you," Carr says.

"I haven't ever seen a player who turns a corner like Reggie Bush does." - David Carr

I like these quotes.

Nawzer
04-06-2006, 05:08 PM
Good to hear from the man who more than anyone else is going to decide what kind of a team we are.

Texans_Chick
04-06-2006, 05:09 PM
"I know God didn't put me in this situation to just get beat up for four years," Carr says. "I know God had a plan for me to come here and help this franchise succeed.

Well then.

Hmmmmmm.

Uh, it is nice to learn that God is a Texans fan, I suppose. Let me adjourn whilst I read the Book of Job. :cool:

Frank_The_Tank
04-06-2006, 05:17 PM
I thought all year last year that the biggest problem with Carr is that he has no one with the capability to take his job. This offseason he has been more active and vocal because he feels that Vince Young heat on his heel. If they draft Bush, and Steve McNair is a free agent they should throw that money at him. If he were here then Carr would finnaly have fear of loosing that spot. Too many people kissing his butt for too long. It is funny that it has taken him 4 years to figure it out, yea right, its all about that heat he did not just figure it out. Look at what it did for Drew out in Sand Diago. They brought in Rivers and Breese made the pro-bowl. It is funnay what athletes do when there is competition. If they have Sage as a back up, Kubiak will see the same Carr we all saw last year.

DRAMA
04-06-2006, 05:30 PM
Well then.

Hmmmmmm.

Uh, it is nice to learn that God is a Texans fan, I suppose. Let me adjourn whilst I read the Book of Job. :cool:

Try Ezekiel - it has better predictions! :)

TexanSam
04-06-2006, 06:48 PM
If they have Sage as a back up, Kubiak will see the same Carr we all saw last year.

You don't always need competition to succeed in this league. I'm not sure how much competition Jake Plummer had these last two years in Denver. It's amazing what a little coaching can do to a player. I disagree that Carr will be the same QB from last year without a backup to push him. I remember watching the Rams game last year and Carr impressed the hell outta me that game. He had a great game, not just a great first half. He showed me what he can do when he actually has some time to pass. Now with Andre Johnson, Eric Moulds, Reggie Bush (presumably), Kevin Walter, and Jeb Putzier and a better offensive line (Flanagan and we've added some depth to the line through FA), I think David Carr will exceed most of the expectations we have of him considering what he's been through.

Sportsfan
04-06-2006, 07:15 PM
Great read. Thanks for posting. Good to see someone actually giving props to Carr.

texplayer2
04-06-2006, 07:19 PM
I thought all year last year that the biggest problem with Carr is that he has no one with the capability to take his job. This offseason he has been more active and vocal because he feels that Vince Young heat on his heel. If they draft Bush, and Steve McNair is a free agent they should throw that money at him. If he were here then Carr would finnaly have fear of loosing that spot. Too many people kissing his butt for too long. It is funny that it has taken him 4 years to figure it out, yea right, its all about that heat he did not just figure it out. Look at what it did for Drew out in Sand Diago. They brought in Rivers and Breese made the pro-bowl. It is funnay what athletes do when there is competition. If they have Sage as a back up, Kubiak will see the same Carr we all saw last year.

If you wanted somebody Pushing on him, we should have picked up TO.:rolleyes:

aj.
04-06-2006, 07:35 PM
Guess who "he" is...

"It's been a nice change as far as the intensity he brings," Carr said Tuesday ...

"I was excited about what we were doing last week (Carr also said). I didn't want to leave because of some of the things we were doing."

Ibar_Harry
04-06-2006, 07:39 PM
Guess who "he" is...

I'll bite, AJ, who was who?

Kaiser Toro
04-06-2006, 07:45 PM
Carr does concede that Southern California running back Reggie Bush, a strong candidate to be Houston's top choice, would give the Texans a dynamic, immediate boost with his potential to create mismatches.

"I don't know what we're going to do with the pick, but I don't know how a guy like Reggie Bush can't help you," Carr says. "I haven't ever seen a player who turns a corner like Reggie Bush does."

ARRRGGGHHHHH! Dude be a leader. Say it does not matter who we bring in because we extended you, got an offensive minded coach and brought in quality need players on Offense. What a joke.

GP
04-06-2006, 07:47 PM
Sounds as if Carr is putting in the effort we knew Kubiak would require of him.

That was one of the main faults of Capers: No credibility.

Now there's a proven winner at the wheel, and a former QB at that, and the atmosphere of this team and its locker room is about to get healthier.

Mike Kerns
04-06-2006, 07:51 PM
Great read. Thanks for posting. Good to see someone actually giving props to Carr.

Hey, I stick by my guys, win or lose.:ok:

Porky
04-06-2006, 07:54 PM
Carr does concede that Southern California running back Reggie Bush, a strong candidate to be Houston's top choice, would give the Texans a dynamic, immediate boost with his potential to create mismatches.

"I don't know what we're going to do with the pick, but I don't know how a guy like Reggie Bush can't help you," Carr says. "I haven't ever seen a player who turns a corner like Reggie Bush does."

ARRRGGGHHHHH! Dude be a leader. Say it does not matter who we bring in because we extended you, got an offensive minded coach and brought in quality need players on Offense. What a joke.

That's weak. We get it already. You have a man crush on Williams. Give it up already. :brickwall

Texans_Chick
04-06-2006, 08:01 PM

OK, that is a little picky. What he said as it relates to Bush is just an accurate statement as it would relate to any team. You don't know what the reporter cut out of the sentence or what specific question Carr was asked. Maybe he said that exact thing you said he should have said to the reporter and it wasn't a part of the article.

To me, I didn't find that statement to be particularly eyebrow raising and generally I don't care for parsing athletes sentences trying to discern their inner character.

RB5
04-06-2006, 08:08 PM
I didn't realize USC ran a similar system to that of the Broncos. :drool:

Carr will have alittle more margin for error throwing to Moulds and Walter compared to Bradford, who'd still drop good passes, and Gaffney. More talent surrounding him and MUCH better coaching should spell improvement for Carr.

GP
04-06-2006, 08:25 PM

While I understand your stance on Carr (Yes, we should have let him test the market to see what he's worth out there) you gotta' let go of the Carr bashing until he shows what he can do this season. Then it's fair game.

I don't see anything wrong with his statements. In fact, me thinks he has also been given a personal speech trainer this offseason to help him with his public speaking skills.

Carr's doing what every player should do in his situation: Repeat what the media is saying, which is "..Reggie Bush is great. He's a great player. He will help any team he is on."

Kaiser Toro
04-06-2006, 08:32 PM
Sorry about the Carr bash people as I had stated I would not until he gave me something to complain about during the season. Moreover, I have started a new gig at work and needed to vent. Please continue to read the first of many fluff pieces on DC this year..

OzzO
04-06-2006, 09:07 PM
Kubiak insists Carr has "it," the skills, toughness and character to inspire.

Ah HA! Apparently the other well mentioned collegiate player is not the only one with IT. Good find, Frak.

Lucky
04-06-2006, 09:27 PM
Guess who "he" is...
Pendry. And your point is?

HardKnockTexan
04-07-2006, 12:48 AM
]']
Gaffney - More miscommunication that anything. He got hit on the face and shoulderpads with the ball alot. I don't think he was going at full speed at all times. Awareness was very bad. The "gaff" against the raiders....

Gaffney was one of the few players that I actually enjoyed watching play last season. I didnt want to see him go but getting Moulds gives us a possesion wideout with better hands, more knowlege and better speed than Gaff provided. It's just tough seeing some of our original picks that gave us solid production through the years leave.

Frank_The_Tank
04-07-2006, 01:01 AM
It is obvious you people never watch the Texans play. I wish I would have kept tags of how many times the guy bootleged out of bounds behind the line of scrimage last year, heck even a high school QB knows to throw the ball away. How many times did he get sacked by a defensive guy with a one handed tackle. I am a true believer that the coaches sucked the last 4 years, but on a consistant basis I saw a very weak QB, he consistantly made dumb decisions, and he never stood up as a leader. Am I being harsh on the guy, hell yea we were 2-12 last year.

Texans86
04-07-2006, 01:21 AM
It is obvious you people never watch the Texans play. I wish I would have kept tags of how many times the guy bootleged out of bounds behind the line of scrimage last year, heck even a high school QB knows to throw the ball away. How many times did he get sacked by a defensive guy with a one handed tackle. I am a true believer that the coaches sucked the last 4 years, but on a consistant basis I saw a very weak QB, he consistantly made dumb decisions, and he never stood up as a leader. Am I being harsh on the guy, hell yea we were 2-12 last year.

I'm curious, have you anything positive to say about the team? Carr is spending a heck of a lot of time working on an offense that will let him play to his strengths, mainly getting outside of the pocket and passing the ball. Carr is more athletic than people give him credit, and only one terrible season removed from a 3500+ yard passing season. He made bad decisions, his line made bad decisions, his recievers made bad decisions, and his defense killed him in like 3-4 straight games this season. You remember all the times he went out of bounds, but forgot the games we were winning in the 4th but the defense lost it. Bradford of all people was his number one target when AJ went out for like 4 weeks with a leg injury. We'll never know if he fully recovered last season. And when things start to go downhill, the snowball just gets bigger. Last season sucked. Anyone on this message board knows that. Carr has a new arsenal of coaches who believe in him, new recievers to throw to who might actually draw coverage off of pro-bowler beginning his prime Andre Johnson, and the confidence of a new system that has worked in Denver taught by the master himself. I'm not quite sure how, but maybe his line will give him a chance to throw the ball to someone whos open and can catch it. When given the chance two years ago, he put up pretty good numbers, why doubt that he can get back there? I know you love Vince Young, but this is about David Carr, a guy who is physically gifted, and is probably smart enough to learn Kubiaks system. Carr might flop and never play football again, but he shows more than enough potential to give him this shot.

Malloy
04-07-2006, 01:29 AM
Well then.

Hmmmmmm.

you read my thoughts. So where has he been the last four seasons, and what happens to all the other players that believe they were intented for something greater ? :)

Ibar_Harry
04-07-2006, 01:33 AM

I know you will find this hard to understand, but the coaches may well have told him to do that. They wanted to run the clock out and wanted to try to hit AJ even if it was the last 2nd of the possession. If you throw the ball away, you kill the clock and can't complete the possession to AJ or whomever else was the target. We had a strange group of coaches and I keep saying don't evaluate anyone on this ball club based on what they did under the previous staff unless it was truely exceptional like Mathis last year. They came close to ruining AJ and they might have done that to Carr. I think Kubiak sees a lot more in Carr than you do and I have reason to trust Kubiak's judgement over yours.

Speedy
04-07-2006, 01:41 AM
It is obvious you people never watch the Texans play. I wish I would have kept tags of how many times the guy bootleged out of bounds behind the line of scrimage last year, heck even a high school QB knows to throw the ball away. How many times did he get sacked by a defensive guy with a one handed tackle. I am a true believer that the coaches sucked the last 4 years, but on a consistant basis I saw a very weak QB, he consistantly made dumb decisions, and he never stood up as a leader. Am I being harsh on the guy, hell yea we were 2-12 last year.You know....when you've got a coaching staff that hasn't done a damn thing in 4 years to keep you from getting killed as soon as the ball is snapped, you might do things a little differently too. Hopefully Carr is not too far gone from the inept "coaching" of the last 4 years, that Kubiak can get him back to the player he was drafted to be.

Speedy
04-07-2006, 01:45 AM
you read my thoughts. So where has he been the last four seasons, and what happens to all the other players that believe they were intented for something greater ? :)Hey Flanders, it's no use praying. I already did the same thing, and we can't both win. -Homer J. Simpson

TreWardTxn
04-07-2006, 01:56 AM
You don't always need competition to succeed in this league. I'm not sure how much competition Jake Plummer had these last two years in Denver. It's amazing what a little coaching can do to a player. I disagree that Carr will be the same QB from last year without a backup to push him. I remember watching the Rams game last year and Carr impressed the hell outta me that game. He had a great game, not just a great first half. He showed me what he can do when he actually has some time to pass. Now with Andre Johnson, Eric Moulds, Reggie Bush (presumably), Kevin Walter, and Jeb Putzier and a better offensive line (Flanagan and we've added some depth to the line through FA), I think David Carr will exceed most of the expectations we have of him considering what he's been through.

Jake Plummer had the pressure and expectations of every teammate,coach, and fan that he would come in and be able to play at the necessary level in order to maintain the Bronco's (a winning organization's) success. No one on the Texans roster has ever experienced that type of success here, so the expectations aren't the same. Besides, Plummer was on his second team, you either have to prove you can play there or be out the league. Sometimes what a player needs (especially QBs) is a change of scenery. But I see no reason why Carr shouldn't perform...

Frank_The_Tank
04-07-2006, 02:12 AM
I do have positive things to say about the Texans, I have said over and over agiain that this offseason has been awsome. We have filled almost every hole. I speak with my brother in Lousiania about the Texans every day, the Moulds pick up, Weaver, Flan. I say over and over again how awsome I think D. Davis is. I just think you people are not keeping it real. No coach is going to tell a QB to run out of bounds 5 yards behind the line of scrimage whe he can just flick it into the stands, you people get real !!!!! I have seen and have film I can post on here of David Carr being sacked by a guy who never touched him, David curled into a ball when the defensive end was 4 yards away from him and fell into one of our o-linemen, the defensive end never even touched the guy untill David was flat on the ground. In fact David did not have any pressure on him from his backside he was just standing there and he saw the end comming and fell to the ground. Now that is what David Carr brings to the table. You say that it is our o-lines fault that he did that, I say the guy is being paid more than any other player on the field except maybe AJ and he is paid to make a read and throw the ball, or scramble and buy some time not waddle up in a ball and fall into your OL. I am not negative about the Texans I just see Carr's true color, yellow!

MasterC25
04-07-2006, 03:07 AM
I do have positive things to say about the Texans, I have said over and over agiain that this offseason has been awsome. We have filled almost every hole. I speak with my brother in Lousiania about the Texans every day, the Moulds pick up, Weaver, Flan. I say over and over again how awsome I think D. Davis is. I just think you people are not keeping it real. No coach is going to tell a QB to run out of bounds 5 yards behind the line of scrimage whe he can just flick it into the stands, you people get real !!!!! I have seen and have film I can post on here of David Carr being sacked by a guy who never touched him, David curled into a ball when the defensive end was 4 yards away from him and fell into one of our o-linemen, the defensive end never even touched the guy untill David was flat on the ground. In fact David did not have any pressure on him from his backside he was just standing there and he saw the end comming and fell to the ground. Now that is what David Carr brings to the table. You say that it is our o-lines fault that he did that, I say the guy is being paid more than any other player on the field except maybe AJ and he is paid to make a read and throw the ball, or scramble and buy some time not waddle up in a ball and fall into your OL. I am not negative about the Texans I just see Carr's true color, yellow!

If you haven't played QB ever in your life, then please don't try to convince me what a QB is or is not supposed to do. You have no idea what he is thinking in those situtations. If you going to criticize him do so talking about bad INTs at least you would make more sense too. Otherwise stop hating on Carr because like it or not he is our QB of the future if you just can't accept that then please don't root for the Texans. This goes out to all the Carr Haters.

aj.
04-07-2006, 06:29 AM
Pendry. And your point is?

My point is that words are nice (sometimes), and the excitement of change goes only so far - like until the regular season starts, or maybe even before when it's all proven on the field, or not, once again.

In laymans terms, I am in a state of guarded optimism, not mushy gushyness. Hearing that our highly paid 5th year veteran QB is "putting in the work" shouldn't be news or a reason to break out the kazoos and party hats, should it?

Kaiser Toro
04-07-2006, 07:04 AM
I know you will find this hard to understand, but the coaches may well have told him to do that. They wanted to run the clock out and wanted to try to hit AJ even if it was the last 2nd of the possession. If you throw the ball away, you kill the clock and can't complete the possession to AJ or whomever else was the target. We had a strange group of coaches and I keep saying don't evaluate anyone on this ball club based on what they did under the previous staff unless it was truely exceptional like Mathis last year. They came close to ruining AJ and they might have done that to Carr. I think Kubiak sees a lot more in Carr than you do and I have reason to trust Kubiak's judgement over yours.

Since we are commenting on football I have to disagree. At least two times last year I was lambasted for wanting Carr to stay in bounds in late game situations, but he went out of bounds stopping the clock. We talked about the defense givng up late game scores, but it was the play calls on offense and the horrible clock management that gave the opposing offense time to play.

I just do not see this guy having any feel for the game. Kubiak hopefully will provide that comfort zone where the game slows down for him so decisions become easy to make.

mancunian
04-07-2006, 07:05 AM
Well then.

Hmmmmmm.

If God is a Texans fan why the heck did he let us go 2 - 14 last year. Could have done with some divine intervention:rolleyes:

thunderkyss
04-07-2006, 07:07 AM
"I understand the fans here wanting Vince Young," Carr says. "But the part that drives me is that we were 2-14 and they can replace you with anybody.

"All of us on this team have to prove we deserve these jobs, me and (receiver) Andre Johnson included. We have to show our coaching staff and fans we deserve to be here.

Carr is putting in long hours to assimilate Kubiak's proven system.
These are the quotes I like to see.

"This offense is so exciting. You have to have a good running game. You have to have the threat of play action. We haven't had that the last few years.
"All those bootlegs Gary ran with Jake, John Elway and Steve Young fit my strengths. If the running game is successful, that's when you get this offense really going."

This upsets me

Kubiak says he is taking the same approach he did with Plummer, rebuilding Carr's footwork and resetting his pre-snap reads of defensive fronts and coverages.

You don't always need competition to succeed in this league. I'm not sure how much competition Jake Plummer had these last two years in Denver.

If you can remember back far enough..... can you remember Jake Plummer playing as bad as David has?? I don't know what the stats are, I'd bet David has fewer ints...... and probably better stats all around. But I can't ever remember thinking Jake was anything less than a really good QB on a bad team. I'm sorry, but David, to me, looks like an average QB, who is behind on his development, on a bad team.

I'm curious, have you anything positive to say about the team? Carr is spending a heck of a lot of time working on an offense that will let him play to his strengths, mainly getting outside of the pocket and passing the ball. He made bad decisions, his line made bad decisions, his recievers made bad decisions, and his defense killed him in like 3-4 straight games this season. You remember all the times he went out of bounds, but forgot the games we were winning in the 4th but the defense lost it.

Since when has getting outside of the pocket and passing been one of David's strengths?? I do believe moving the pocket will help ease the pressure on him, but I don't think playing on the run is a strength of David's..... Plummer Yes..... Hasselback?? Yes...... Favre?? oh Yeah....... Carr?? I haven't seen it.....

And while everyone on this team has made bad decisions, they don't all get the "pass" that David gets.......... Gaffney, IMHO, should be on this team. He is our second round pick, and I think he's going to be a big name soon. I'm happy with Moulds, but I'd take Gaffney in 3 years over whereever Moulds might be. Johnathan Wells...... not stellar by any stretch of the imagination. But him & Morency will do better IMHO behing Kubiaks offensive line, than they did last year, and they did pretty good last year.

You know....when you've got a coaching staff that hasn't done a damn thing in 4 years to keep you from getting killed as soon as the ball is snapped, you might do things a little differently too. Hopefully Carr is not too far gone from the inept "coaching" of the last 4 years, that Kubiak can get him back to the player he was drafted to be.
You do know that so far, we haven't done anything different concerning the offensive line..... One FA, & more than likely draft someone in the third... So you can't really be happy with what we've done there, if you think the old regime didn't do a damn thing. I'll say it again. If Flanagan is the only new face of our starting 5, then you guys have got to admit that Carr was a bigger part of the problem than the "conservative" 20 sacks that Kubiak said he was.

I do have positive things to say about the Texans, I have said over and over agiain that this offseason has been awsome. We have filled almost every hole. I speak with my brother in Lousiania about the Texans every day, the Moulds pick up, Weaver, Flan. I say over and over again how awsome I think D. Davis is. I just think you people are not keeping it real. No coach is going to tell a QB to run out of bounds 5 yards behind the line of scrimage whe he can just flick it into the stands, you people get real !!!!! I have seen and have film I can post on here of David Carr being sacked by a guy who never touched him, David curled into a ball when the defensive end was 4 yards away from him and fell into one of our o-linemen, the defensive end never even touched the guy untill David was flat on the ground. In fact David did not have any pressure on him from his backside he was just standing there and he saw the end comming and fell to the ground. Now that is what David Carr brings to the table. You say that it is our o-lines fault that he did that, I say the guy is being paid more than any other player on the field except maybe AJ and he is paid to make a read and throw the ball, or scramble and buy some time not waddle up in a ball and fall into your OL. I am not negative about the Texans I just see Carr's true color, yellow!props

Lucky
04-07-2006, 07:52 AM
Hearing that our highly paid 5th year veteran QB is "putting in the work" shouldn't be news or a reason to break out the kazoos and party hats, should it?
Considering the unsubstantiated criticism Carr has gotten for not “putting in the work”, I don’t see where a little offseason fluff piece hurts. And Carr will always attempt to put a positive spin on the Texans preparations, because he’s a company man. Maybe he should have said, “Pendry’s offense will set back the game of football 50 years.” But that will never happen, because that’s not what David Carr is about.

Or Reggie Bush, for that matter. They aren’t the kind of guys who gripe and moan when things don’t go their way. Does that make them boring? Maybe, but I’ll take that over the pot stirring that comes with a Terrell Owens or even a Brett Favre.

Bearfan Blue and Orange
04-07-2006, 08:22 AM
If you wanted somebody Pushing on him, we should have picked up TO.:rolleyes:

We wanted to puch him to get better, not go over the edge of a psychological cliff.

I do not think TO can be a mentor to anyone in the NFL. Except a mentor to his ego and eventually that explodes in your face when it gets too big.

cuppacoffee
04-07-2006, 08:36 AM
If God is a Texans fan why the heck did he let us go 2 - 14 last year. Could have done with some divine intervention:rolleyes:

Maybe....just maybe...he/she saw Reggie Bush coming up and whispered in Reggies ear...."come out in your junior year....our Texans are waiting". :D

:coffee:

thunderkyss
04-07-2006, 09:53 AM
God has a plan for everyone of us, David found his, and it is not a plan for him to get beat down every Sunday.

Have you read the book of Job??

:superman:

tulexan
04-07-2006, 10:08 AM
Maybe....just maybe...he/she saw Reggie Bush coming up and whispered in Reggies ear...."come out in your junior year....our Texans are waiting". :D

There is the divine intervention

Malloy
04-07-2006, 10:09 AM
Hey Flanders, it's no use praying. I already did the same thing, and we can't both win. -Homer J. Simpson

hehe, nobody says it like the man! :)

I also read about scientific investigation made in the US recently concerning the effects of prayer. It showed that praying actually increases the chance of sick patients dying. Spooky. So PLEASE do not include the Texans in your prayers, we'll get another loosing season! ;)

Malloy
04-07-2006, 10:12 AM
There is the divine intervention

Divine meddling more likely. I want all the money back that I lost on those games, God rigged em! :)

bigTEXan8
04-07-2006, 10:27 AM

I thought it was Revelations?

thunderkyss
04-07-2006, 10:36 AM
I thought it was Revelations?

No........ people were saying that it can't be God's plan for David to get beat on.... the Book of Job teaches us that God may not have planned it that way, but you're taking the beating none the less.

Señor Stan
04-07-2006, 10:42 AM

Eliphaz, Bildad, and Zophar = Carr bashers.

At the end of the book Job was rewarded with twice as much as he had before.

thunderkyss
04-07-2006, 10:44 AM
Eliphaz, Bildad, and Zophar = Carr bashers.

At the end of the book Job was rewarded with twice as much as he had before.

I was asking Hulk71.

Speedy
04-07-2006, 12:08 PM
You do know that so far, we haven't done anything different concerning the offensive line..... One FA, & more than likely draft someone in the third... So you can't really be happy with what we've done there, if you think the old regime didn't do a damn thing. I'll say it again. If Flanagan is the only new face of our starting 5, then you guys have got to admit that Carr was a bigger part of the problem than the "conservative" 20 sacks that Kubiak said he was.
Geez...you think the oline is the only determining factor in sacks. oh...well of course you don't. Half of it's Carr's fault for running out of bounds.:rolleyes: When I say they haven't done anything, I'm talking about putting weapons around him as well. Not just oline help. When you have to keep almost everyone in to block with max protect, and the only guys you have in the pattern are Gaffney and Bradford, I don't care who you are, you're not going to be very successful. And let's not forget '04 when AJ was healthy, Carr manages to throw for 3,500 yards.

When the only person on the football field the defense has to worry about is Davis, they're going to pin their ears back and come after you. Especially when your scheme is so simplistic that defenses are salivating to play you.

Well, guess what, Carr finally has some help. Defenses are going to have a lot to worry about this year. AJ, Moulds, Bush, Davis, a TE, better schemes. better game plan, better coaching. We'll get to see just what this guy's made of.

swtbound07
04-07-2006, 01:11 PM

im not one for conspiracy theories...but the end of the rams game was positively epic. I dont even believe in god and im headscratching on that a little bit

Vinny
04-07-2006, 01:19 PM
Yes, he has to go through the "valley" and go through some unbelievable things to get what God has in store for him.

I know the book of Job, my grandfather was a minister for 30 years.

Job lost a lot, a whole lot, but it was all paid back to him and better then before because he was faithful and trusted in God.

Lived untill he was 140, and had a long, good "career":) I mean life.

DYK-And in Job the real King of Beasts is the Crocodile.:)I don't think football wins and losses correlate to being rewarded for faith in God. There are good Christians (or fill in the religion) on both sides of the ball.

Malloy
04-07-2006, 01:29 PM
And in Job the real King of Beasts is the Crocodile.:)

We need more crocodilles in Pro Football... :/

thunderkyss
04-07-2006, 01:32 PM
Geez...you think the oline is the only determining factor in sacks. oh...well of course you don't. Half of it's Carr's fault for running out of bounds.:rolleyes: When I say they haven't done anything, I'm talking about putting weapons around him as well. Not just oline help. When you have to keep almost everyone in to block with max protect, and the only guys you have in the pattern are Gaffney and Bradford, I don't care who you are, you're not going to be very successful. And let's not forget '04 when AJ was healthy, Carr manages to throw for 3,500 yards.

Simmer down now.........
I's just saying. If you weren't happy with what the old regime did to address the line, I don't see how you can be happy with what has taken place so far.
Is Moulds better than Gaffney?? You really don't know....... not till we see what Gaffney does in Philly. I think Gaffney is a star.... we just haven't been able to let him shine...... I'm not saying that was Carr's fault or anything like that.

If Reggie Bush was on this team last year, he probably would have spent most of his time pass blocking........ same with the Tightend.... same thing may be the case in 2006......... we'll have to wait and see.

I do find it curious....... very curious, that Carr can throw for 3500yrds in a season where he is sacked 44 times, even help us win 7 games. But in a season where he gets sacked 48 times(68-20(that Kubiak said were Carrs Fault)=48) he doesn't........ Defense??........ maybe.

Heck Tom Brady managed to win a SupeBowl when he was sacked 41 times.

Yes, he has to go through the "valley" and go through some unbelievable things to get what God has in store for him.

I know the book of Job, my grandfather was a minister for 30 years.

My point being that taking that beating may very well have been in God's plan.... Hence, I am guessing here, why Texans_Chick(the coolest member of the HoustonTexans.com MB) used the book of Job in her post.

Grid
04-07-2006, 03:59 PM
Big dave is getting the big ignore.

GP
04-07-2006, 04:32 PM
I have a theological degree. I am in professional ministry at the moment. And I guess my only comment is: How God chooses to bless and/or curse is a mysterious thing. Getting beaten for his belief, the apostle Paul said to "...count it all as joy for suffering in the name of Jesus." Paul knew this very well...after all, he was the third witness and held the coats of the other two witnesses when Stephen was stoned to death (this happened before Paul's conversion to the faith, of course).

Some children sit in hospital rooms taking chemo treatments while their firends are playing outside on a playground. At the same time, a man calls his family out of the jungle to come and kneel beside him...to take a bullet in their heads from their pursuers for their belief in God in a nation where God is outlawed, and at the same time football fans ponder whether God had to take David Carr through a "valley" to bring him victoriously to the other side of the Jordan River so he can possess his Promised Land.

God created each of us for a plan and a purpose (Jeremiah 29:11), and He is whole-heartedly intrerested in the intimate and intricate details of every one of us, and the free will of man intersects with God's plan and purpose for our lives in such a way that we feel compelled to pursue our lives and/or careers with great passion so we might achieve that which God has planned for us.

So, "yes," God wants David to succeed. He wants YOU to succeed in the things He has destined for YOU. But the responsibility lies upon our own shoulders to walk in faith and trust the plan (which means to ultimately trust "The Great Planner" Himself) and the reward might not be a Super Bowl. It might be a great career as an NFL QB which leads to other avenues of fulfillment for David long after his pro football career has ended. The life of "Pistol Pete" Maravich is a good example.

To me, the greatest measure of a man is not whether he achieves the ultimate accolades in his career...it's if he handles it all with the grace and dignity of one who loves God despite what happens to him along the way. Because somewhere, at this same time right now, a little girl lies in a hospital bed praising God that she's alive...and a family kneels beside each other and looks at each other one last time knowing their last breath on earth means they take their next breath in Heaven together with their Father. The proof of our faith is found within how we handle adversity, and very much in how we react or respond to the subsequent blessing or cursing that follows.

My only gripe with David is that up until now, based on what I have seen and what I have heard, is that he has been riding a gravy train and not willing to put forth HIS OWN END of the deal in terms of sacrificing his family time for more film study, etc. But then again, no amount of effort on David's behalf would have overcome the previous staff's ineptitude....or would it?

I guess the thing he should be congratulated for is "patience" to not jump the ship and scapegoat the entire franchise. He is to be commended for hanging tough and giving the Texans a second chance (and Kaiser Toro is going bonkers as he reads this statement, eh?). But...the Texans are also to be commended for believing in Carr enough to bring a QB doctor (Kubiak) in as head coach to help David, and to help the team.

Thus, it looks like both the Texans organization AND David Carr are committed to handling their adversity in a more unique manner than you see in other NFL teams. Pretty neat, if you aske me. And I don't see why some people refuse to cheer this concept...and how they can find a way to root for it to fail.

dwilt72
04-08-2006, 12:14 PM
Carr needs to get up to speed! I was a big Carr fan until last season. I still have one foot on the bandwagon, but he's got to step it up! I was a fan of his from his Jr. year in college. I saw him beat Rice in a come-from-behind victory. From that time on I thought he was special and I was really excited when the Texans drafted him. He seemed to progress OK in the first 3 years. Last year, he seemed to digress though. I don't know if he's not spending enough time watching tape and studying the game or if he lost confidence or not. It looks like the Texans braintrust has decided he's the man. They are also giving him more weapons than he's ever had. So now it's up to him. Come on Dave, quit running home to the family, put in the hours and show us what ya got!

Texans_Chick
04-08-2006, 12:57 PM
God has a plan for everyone of us, David found his, and it is not a plan for him to get beat down every Sunday.

I hope you are correct about the beat down thing. But I would never presume in my life or David's or others, to know what the will of God is as it relates to the day to day things that happen in our lives. DC has had a difficult time with his child's illness and starting for an expansion team, but it is quite possible that he has more difficulties in store for him, and that God's plan for him may have nothing to do with succeeding at football at all, no matter how hard he tries.

God created each of us for a plan and a purpose (Jeremiah 29:11), and He is whole-heartedly intrerested in the intimate and intricate details of every one of us, and the free will of man intersects with God's plan and purpose for our lives in such a way that we feel compelled to pursue our lives and/or careers with great passion so we might achieve that which God has planned for us.

So, "yes," God wants David to succeed. He wants YOU to succeed in the things He has destined for YOU. But the responsibility lies upon our own shoulders to walk in faith and trust the plan (which means to ultimately trust "The Great Planner" Himself) and the reward might not be a Super Bowl. It might be a great career as an NFL QB which leads to other avenues of fulfillment for David long after his pro football career has ended. The life of "Pistol Pete" Maravich is a good example.

To me, the greatest measure of a man is not whether he achieves the ultimate accolades in his career...it's if he handles it all with the grace and dignity of one who loves God despite what happens to him along the way.

IMO, that last part is the most important part.

It is quite possible to work your hardest, do things in a way that is in keeping with God's word and not find professional success. I know that flies in the face of the gospel of success stuff that tends to be popular these days. It may be that God's plan for DC is something that doesn't involve any success in football in any way. It is quite possible that a fluke injury could happen and he could never take another snap, and that from that difficulty in his life, he could learn and grow and have something more important happen for him other than professional or financial success.

At least in my own life, I get really uncomfortable when people start talking about what they know is on God's mind. Often the worst things in my life ended up being the best things, but 1. they certainly didn't feel that way at the time, 2. they turned out COMPLETELY different than I would have thought could happen.

Besides, I refused to follow a theological point of view that might suggest that the ancient success of the Cryboys is because they met with God's approval. I missed the cracksmoking gospel in the Bible.

But I am guessing that this is a discussion for another time and place--other than saying that I think that Carr has done a nice job in facing difficulties and that I am glad he can use his faith in God to help comfort him.

My only gripe with David is that up until now, based on what I have seen and what I have heard, is that he has been riding a gravy train and not willing to put forth HIS OWN END of the deal in terms of sacrificing his family time for more film study, etc. But then again, no amount of effort on David's behalf would have overcome the previous staff's ineptitude....or would it?

What have you seen?? Unsubstantiated posts on a MB? Newspaper articles pointing to what "some say." One way or another, because of these rumors and because of the VY support, I am guessing that DC is going to make sure that people know that he is working. "Optics" to borrow a publicity term.

My point being that taking that beating may very well have been in God's plan.... Hence, I am guessing here, why Texans_Chick(the coolest member of the HoustonTexans.com MB) used the book of Job in her post.

You wouldn't think I was particularly cool if you saw the gym clothes I am wearing right now. Thanks for the nice ups. :cool:

edo783
04-08-2006, 01:22 PM
You wouldn't think I was particularly cool if you saw the gym clothes I am wearing right now. Thanks for the nice ups. :cool:

Sooo, I guess your saying your "Hot".:redtowel: J/K

aj.
04-10-2006, 07:13 AM
My point is that words are nice (sometimes), and the excitement of change goes only so far - like until the regular season starts, or maybe even before when it's all proven on the field, or not, once again.

In laymans terms, I am in a state of guarded optimism, not mushy gushyness. Hearing that our highly paid 5th year veteran QB is "putting in the work" shouldn't be news or a reason to break out the kazoos and party hats, should it?

Negative rep comment on above post:You dont have to be a jerk all the time.

Hey, if you disagree with my post, bring it on the board so we can discuss it, instead of name calling behind Oz's curtain. I have a pretty good idea who you are anyway based on the time stamp.

Like I said - and especially now with the second Carr fluff article to hit the news stands in less than a week - I'm not particularly excited that our QB is putting in extra work - nor should it be news. It's something I expect from a highly compensated NFL QB in his 5th season (and other players of his tenure and compensation). I hope Carr does well because it means good things for the Texans. I just don't get all giddy over a fluff piece in April. It almost seems contrived. I'll wait until they start playing games to see if it's all it's cracked up to be.

TEXANRED
04-10-2006, 08:21 AM
Negative rep comment on above post:

Hey, if you disagree with my post, bring it on the board so we can discuss it, instead of name calling behind Oz's curtain. I have a pretty good idea who you are anyway based on the time stamp.

Like I said - and especially now with the second Carr fluff article to hit the news stands in less than a week - I'm not particularly excited that our QB is putting in extra work - nor should it be news. It's something I expect from a highly compensated NFL QB in his 5th season (and other players of his tenure and compensation). I hope Carr does well because it means good things for the Texans. I just don't get all giddy over a fluff piece in April. It almost seems contrived. I'll wait until they start playing games to see if it's all it's cracked up to be.
You got a negative rep for that?

Some people on this board tend to abuse the rep button. I got a negative rep for saying DD was hurt for 8 games last year. He wasen't (really six games, splitting hairs) but was trying to prove a point about his durabilty and how adding a second running back with just as much talent would help DD and the team. Instead of the poster seeing the point only focused in on me being wrong about how many games he missed.

Runner
04-10-2006, 08:30 AM
I've never given negative rep - I'm a positive reinforcement kind of guy.

thunderkyss
04-10-2006, 12:41 PM
Thus, it looks like both the Texans organization AND David Carr are committed to handling their adversity in a more unique manner than you see in other NFL teams. Pretty neat, if you aske me. And I don't see why some people refuse to cheer this concept...and how they can find a way to root for it to fail.

I refuse to cheer this concept, because David doesn't appear to be a self motivator...... He's going to play awesome for so many games this year, then after he proves what he feels he has to prove, then I fear we'll be back to the old Dave.

TEXANRED
04-10-2006, 01:07 PM
im not one for conspiracy theories...but the end of the rams game was positively epic. I dont even believe in god and im headscratching on that a little bit
Houston Oilers/Buffalo 1993......................There is a God and he is NOT a Houston fan.