PDA

View Full Version : A simple question about Wand?

Ibar_Harry
04-05-2006, 05:12 PM
From what I understand we haven't signed him because we have given him an offer and I believe we have 1st right of refusal if someone else makes a higher offer. Is that correct? Has anyone seen him working out with the team?

infantrycak
04-05-2006, 05:21 PM
Seth Wand received a low tender (around $750k) which means if another team signs Wand to an offer sheet, the Texans have the right to match or if they elect not to they receive his original draft round in compensation--in his case a 3rd rounder. Haven't heard anything one way or another on his working out.

Runner
04-05-2006, 05:48 PM
Wand is working out with the team - RFAs who are tendered are on the roster. He has been working out even before mandatory workouts. I think he is one of the players who chooses to stay here rather than go "home" after the season.

nunusguy
04-05-2006, 06:08 PM
The change in coaching staffs has got to be a huge break for Wand, as it
gives him a new start after getting in the doghouse for who knows what reason with the previous coaching regime.
And regarding the tender offer Wand got from the Texans, it shows that while
they obviously aren't exactly enamored with Wand, they have some hope for him else they might just cut him outright, though his cap concerns are probably moderate.
Actually, Wand very much has the physical-athletic profile for a tackle in
Kubiaks ZB scheme, so I thing there is really some chance he could end up as our RT which would also permit them to move Weigert bact to RG.

Ibar_Harry
04-05-2006, 06:11 PM
Seth Wand received a low tender (around $750k) which means if another team signs Wand to an offer sheet, the Texans have the right to match or if they elect not to they receive his original draft round in compensation--in his case a 3rd rounder. Haven't heard anything one way or another on his working out.

Is there a cut off date when they say he's ours by default or does he just have to sign on the dotted line?

Runner
04-05-2006, 07:11 PM
Is there a cut off date when they say he's ours by default or does he just have to sign on the dotted line?

The RFA has to sign by a specific date. I think.

Texans Horror
04-06-2006, 10:19 AM
Everybody - Don't worry about Wand getting a fair look this year. One of the reasons I keep putting Wand in my 2006 starting line-up is that the Texans picked him up in the 3rd round because they were afraid Green Bay was going to take him.

I contend that, given a proper evaluation and the opportunity to compete for a position, Wand will see the starting line-up.

Think about it this way: We have already added one Packer to the line; essentially a second one will be added.

infantrycak
04-06-2006, 10:26 AM

There are a bunch of dates which will be approximately (they kept jacking with free agency):

April 15 Signing period ends for restricted free agents--this is for other teams to sign the RFA to an offer sheet

April 22 Deadline for old club to exercise right of first refusal to restricted free agents

June 1 Deadline for old clubs to send tender to unsigned restricted free agents or to extend qualifying offer to retain exclusive negotiating rights

June 15 Deadline for old clubs to withdraw original qualifying offer to unsigned restricted free agents and still retain exclusive negotiating rights by substituting tender of 110 percent of previous year's salary.

I don't believe there is a ending deadline because so long as a qualifying offer/tender is made the RFA is on the roster and considered under contract even without his signing the offer.

Runner
04-06-2006, 10:42 AM
Everybody - Don't worry about Wand getting a fair look this year. One of the reasons I keep putting Wand in my 2006 starting line-up is that the Texans picked him up in the 3rd round because they were afraid Green Bay was going to take him.

It is very interesting that you mention the Green Bay (therefore Coach Sherman) draft day interest. I vaguely remember that the Texans either traded up or picked Wand a round earlier than they planned because Green Bay and/or San Diego was going to pick him. He had improved his stock dramatically with his Senior Bowl performance and got on the radar of a lot more teams.

I'm going to try to Google 2003 draft analysis and see if I can confirm that.

I have already given out all of my rep today or I'd give you some for digging up some "fresh" 3 year old facts for discussion. It makes the board more interesting, especially if we can find some sort of confirmation.

Runner
04-06-2006, 11:32 AM
How about every sack that they show of Carr, it is Wando getting beat. Might have something to do with it.
Very good run blocker , not good Pass blocker.

Sure. 48 sacks for the year. 12 assigned to Wand. A couple of them probably Carr's fault and a couple of them the interior of the line collapsing making Carr run toward Wand's end.

However, we did improve immensely when they got Wand out of there.:sarcasm:

Vinny
04-06-2006, 11:35 AM
The one thing I don't like about Wand is his lack of a mean streak. You don't have to be angry all the time but I'd like to see some emotion out there other than the blank look on his face when he gets beat.

Runner
04-06-2006, 11:39 AM
The one thing I don't like about Wand is his lack of a mean streak.

Maybe that'll be the payoff for what he went through last year.

powerfuldragon
04-06-2006, 11:41 AM
each missed block = -1 cheeseburger.
You'll see some fire in that fat man.

Vinny
04-06-2006, 11:46 AM
Maybe that'll be the payoff for what he went through last year.
In fairness to Wand, the entire offensive line played passive for the most part (took on the personality of Capers). I'd like to see some attitude injected into this group.

el toro
04-06-2006, 12:52 PM
Well, he should have his opportunity for a spot.

dalemurphy
04-06-2006, 01:37 PM
How about every sack that they show of Carr, it is Wando getting beat. Might have something to do with it.
Very good run blocker , not good Pass blocker.

he only committed 3 penalites the entire season! he gave up about 13 sacks his first season at LT with the scheme offering him no help against anyone, including Freeney... Not only that, but the QB had poor pocket presence and the interior line was usually in Carr's lap. I personally thought he was good in 2004. However, my opinion of him did drop after watching that pathetic display he put on at RG in the one preseason game. It was an emarrassment.

Meloy
04-06-2006, 02:01 PM
If I remember correctly, Capers coached the senior bowl that Wand played in and was impressed. During the draft, there was some noise from Capers or Casserly that other teams were wanting Wand so Houston grabbed him higher than they wanted. I remember posting that I was optimistic that Wand & Pitts could become the new Munchak/ Matthews. Ok, so that is "one" I missed slightly. I think the entire front line was praying so hard for the season to just be over, that they did not see the d-player rocket past. Hopefully, it will be a mite different this season.

Runner
04-06-2006, 02:13 PM
However, my opinion of him did drop after watching that pathetic display he put on at RG in the one preseason game. It was an emarrassment.

He had made every block the pre-season game before at tackle though. Go figure.

I have heard rumors* that the new coaching staff is going to play tackles at tackle and guards at guard.

* ok, I heard no such rumor. I'm making an assumption.

Runner
04-06-2006, 03:14 PM
Dont sugar coat stuff and just throw stuff out there, I saw how bad he is, as a exDlineman and watching him play, he has horrible feet and for how big he is he does NOY use his punch as well as he could. He is slow and got Carr KILLED many times. Run block yes, other then that he is not good. Yea poor pockett presence, ever see the ESPN special on Dwight Freeney, who was getting killed everytime?

Call it sugar coating, but what he said was true.

Speaking of Freeney: Pendry left Wand on an island against Freeney and this year gave Pitts help against many ends.

Brown had double team responsibility on all inside moves by Freeney, so Chester was allowed to set up more to the outside. This was a good scheme; it should have been used in 2004. Maybe Pitts did better against Freeney because he had a better guard playing next to him.

I’ve seen two people go against Freeney one on one an entire game. Orlando Pace and Seth Wand. Who’s fault is that? Even the Patriots with their stud LT ran a double team clinic on Freeney when he came to town. We had bad coaching.

Ibar_Harry
04-06-2006, 05:10 PM
Call it sugar coating, but what he said was true.

Speaking of Freeney: Pendry left Wand on an island against Freeney and this year gave Pitts help against many ends.

Brown had double team responsibility on all inside moves by Freeney, so Chester was allowed to set up more to the outside. This was a good scheme; it should have been used in 2004. Maybe Pitts did better against Freeney because he had a better guard playing next to him.

Ive seen two people go against Freeney one on one an entire game. Orlando Pace and Seth Wand. Whos fault is that? Even the Patriots with their stud LT ran a double team clinic on Freeney when he came to town. We had bad coaching.

Actually the year Wand faced Fennyey I believe the reviews afterward were that Wand held his own and did a very good job. It was break downs of other parts of the line that caused the problems. I remember the Rams game and watching Pace handle Fenney. It was a joy to watch, but the one time Pace wasn't on him he went inside and took out the QB. You can contain him, but you are probably not going to stop a guy like Fenney the whole game. It takes effort, maxium team effor at that, to shut him out.

JohnGalt
04-06-2006, 10:39 PM
I don't think that he is signed yet simply because the team has had more urgent priorities. The RFA's aren't going anywhere without the Texans getting a shot. I don't think Ragone is signed either.

Also, that whole RG thing in the preseason was a total ******* up by Pendry. I don't recall RG ever being in Wand's resume. And he lined up against Warren Sapp after practicing at the position less than a week. Of course he's going to look like a fool.

Let Sherman coach out the footwork problems and put the man in at LT. I'll bet Houston would have a solid player in the years to come.

Texansbacker
04-07-2006, 12:21 AM
In fairness to Wand, the entire offensive line played passive for the most part (took on the personality of Capers). I'd like to see some attitude injected into this group.

Hopefully the addition of Mike Flanagan will bring some fire, he will sure bring some needed leadership and toughness.

HardKnockTexan
04-07-2006, 01:39 AM
He had made every block the pre-season game before at tackle though. Go figure.

I have heard rumors* that the new coaching staff is going to play tackles at tackle and guards at guard.

* ok, I heard no such rumor. I'm making an assumption.

You mean that players are actually going to play the possition that they've been learning their whole life?? Now that just doesnt make any sence... just ask Capers.. he'll tell you how to build a winning team.