PDA

View Full Version : So what holes do we fill now?

Texans34Life
04-05-2006, 03:27 PM
Do we fill them through free agency (anyone out there?) or through the draft? Who are the guys you think that can help this squad out? What are our weak spots?

SESupergenius
04-05-2006, 03:28 PM
A starting Cornerback and a hard tackling Strong Safety.

whiskeyrbl
04-05-2006, 03:31 PM
OG,CB,SS need to be addressed,maybe a young LB or DE ..:twocents:

Double Barrel
04-05-2006, 03:32 PM
I agree with SES. Our secondary is the weakest part of our team right now. I guess we're stuck with Buchanan, so we'll need a good tackling safety to take care of all the ball-carriers P.Buch misses (or just fails at attempting tackles).

Bearfan Blue and Orange
04-05-2006, 03:35 PM
OG,CB,SS need to be addressed,maybe a young LB or DE ..:twocents:

I agree with the OG, CB, and SS, but we have to draft these high so we get immediate impact players.

infantrycak
04-05-2006, 03:36 PM

I am almost with you. CB #1, FS #2

Bobo
04-05-2006, 03:41 PM
Do we fill them through free agency (anyone out there?) or through the draft? Who are the guys you think that can help this squad out? What are our weak spots?

If you don't know by now ...

Corrosion
04-05-2006, 03:54 PM
Im going with Infantrycak on this one ....

I think the Texans have two solid players capable of filling the SS position in Earl and Brown . Neither of those guy's is very well suited for the FS spot . They just arent real good in coverage ..... FS is the "Quarterback of the secondary" .... Not real sure I want to see a rookie start the season there .... But if this is just a season where we hope to see growth this is the time to do it.

Then we have the CB position . Faggins may well turn into a player who can start there .... But at this point he's just a real good nickle corner . P-Burnt is just a waste of talent IMO. He's got all the tools to be a great corner but just doesnt have the brains to get the job done nor the WANT to tackle anyone ...

I'd also like to see them take a RT to groom behind Wiegart or Wade . Also a MLB who is more athletic than those on the roster.

TexanSam
04-05-2006, 04:01 PM
Cornerback and offensive line are our biggest needs. I think we are probably done signing players in free agency. The rest of our upgrades will be through the draft.

V Man
04-05-2006, 04:02 PM
I am almost with you. CB #1, FS #2

That is what I am thinking. Starting CB and a legit FS.

TexansLucky13
04-05-2006, 04:06 PM
True. I think Earl can handle SS, but Buchanon sure hasnt given us much in a starting CB. Our DTs are fine but yes I think DE should be looked at through the draft. Don't know if we can make room in the draft for all the positions that we want new starters at, though.

Meloy
04-05-2006, 04:11 PM
At 2nd round, I like Max Jean Gilles from Georgia a left tackle with good feet and balance @ 341 6' 4". "dominates line with a mean streak". He is projected to play guard in pros but might go either way. In 3rd, I'd take best cb available and best mlb. in 4th I'd go with best safety or dline. Can a "fast line backer or "strong corner" be adapted to free safety and be successful? I know Coleman didn't work out.

edo783
04-05-2006, 04:11 PM
I guess it depends on if your talking in FA or the draft or using both. I would like to see a starting level O-line gaurd picked up after the June 1st cuts IF one is available (really doubt it, but???). If a starting level FS comes available after June 1 then that's the thing to do and that is more likely than an O-lineman. Then the draft IMO needs to be a starting level Tackle with the second, then a FS or CB with the 1st 3rd and then the best OG with the second of the 3rd round picks. Then anylise who is the best defensive talent that drops out of the first day and take that guy with the 4th rounder.

Hookem Horns
04-05-2006, 04:12 PM
Quarterback would be a good start. :stirpot:

WiiBrawler
04-05-2006, 04:12 PM
We could use charles woodson or lavar arrington, has anyoneb thought about Vince Manuwai?

LORK 88
04-05-2006, 04:13 PM
RT!! Can we please get rid of Todd Wade allready?? Im also with everyone else and think we need a legitimate #2 CB.

TexansLucky13
04-05-2006, 04:14 PM
I guess it depends on if your talking in FA or the draft or using both. I would like to see a starting level O-line gaurd picked up after the June 1st cuts IF one is available (really doubt it, but???). If a starting level FS comes available after June 1 then that's the thing to do and that is more likely than an O-lineman. Then the draft IMO needs to be a starting level Tackle with the second, then a FS or CB with the 1st 3rd and then the best OG with the second of the 3rd round picks. Then anylise who is the best defensive talent that drops out of the first day and take that guy with the 4th rounder.

I agree with a lot of that. I think we should take McNeil, OT from Auburn, in the second round. He has shown a lot of potential and the ESPN Mock Draft Version 6.0 has projected him being barely out of the 1st round.... which lines him up with our 33rd pick.

Bullpen Drew
04-05-2006, 04:20 PM
We need to fill the holes in the Bullpen!!!!

kiwitexansfan
04-05-2006, 05:07 PM
I see CB and FS as our most pressing needs. First day picks on these positions.

SS is covered in Earl and CC Brown.

Our O-Line seems to be better with the addition of Flanagan and the reshuffle to better suit the blocking system. I would like to get some depth/future starters in the draft though.

Maybe some young LB talent.

TheOgre
04-05-2006, 05:33 PM
Lets assume we take Bush with the 1st overall pick. Lets look at this as a two draft process of rebuilding. What is it we still need?

Needs
CB/NB - Depending on whether the staff thinks Buchanon is even remotely salvageable or not determines how high we should take a corner. In all likelihood, very high.

DE - I really think the defense will be the focus of the draft in 2007. A stud DE would be a nice addition in that draft with either our 1st or 2nd rounder.

FS - CC Brown and Glenn Earl need to stick with playing SS. Jammal Lord has yet to show us anything of note (although he still has a pulse on the roster). I think we should use one of our middle round selections on one this season.

Interior lineman - Flanagan, McKinney and Wiegert are not getting any younger and Hodgdon and Weary have not proven to be long-term starters to date. We clearly need an infusion of young talent here.

MLB - Sam Cowart is on the tail-end of his career. He is a stop-gap acquisition. We need to find someone good to great to groom behind him. We may have to wait until 2007 and use a 1st or 2nd on one. However, the team may decide to take on in the 3rd this year instead.

OT - It can be debated till the cows come home whether Pitts is better suited to LT, RT, or even guard. Regardless, I think Wiegert is better suited to playing RG than RT. Wand could materialize, but we have been down this road before. I think the best course of action is to grab the best OT left at the beginning of the 2nd. If there is a late 1st round run on them, we may wait until the 3rd and grab one of the "leftovers" that fall into our lap.

HJam72
04-05-2006, 05:44 PM
We could take the best RT available at 33 (Winston Justice?) this year, leaving Pitts at LT. Then next year, we could take the best LT available with our first round pick (whatever that is) and then move Pitts to LG--at which point Reggie Bush and DD could just run left all day long. :)

We also need a FS.

edit: I meant Eric Winston at RT, of course, not Winston Justice.

wrestler4life
04-05-2006, 06:07 PM
We could take the best RT available at 33 (Winston Justice?) this year, leaving Pitts at LT. Then next year, we could take the best LT available with our first round pick (whatever that is) and then move Pitts to LG--at which point Reggie Bush and DD could just run left all day long. :)

We also need a FS.

I think that we should leave pitts where he is. How frustrated would he be to have to keep moving?

TexanFanInCC
04-05-2006, 06:11 PM

CB and OT...find the best available in the draft.

TexanFanInCC
04-05-2006, 06:12 PM
glenn earl and cc brown may get a chance to start, but if we add safety help, it will be for insurance reasons.

TheOgre
04-05-2006, 06:15 PM
2006 draft
1 Bush
2 best OT available
3a cornerback or free safety
3b interior lineman (OG or C)

2007 draft
rounds 1-3
DE, MLB, and whatever wasn't taken in '06 out of CB/FS (not necessarily in that order)

Dunta_23
04-05-2006, 06:17 PM
CB- Draft one on day 1...could start day 1

FS- Draft day 1...need a solid starter there....and have CC back up both FS and SS

MLB- Maybe day 1 or 2, need a future starter

OL- I think most positions are set, need future starters and depth

Nawzer
04-05-2006, 06:21 PM
OT,OG,CB,FS.

We need depth at those positions and quality depth. Obviously we need another corner opposite Dunta Robinson. You can't answer all of the needs in one year,but we should be able to get some players who will develop into starters and contribute meaningfully this year.

el toro
04-05-2006, 07:07 PM
Rubbing the crystal balls...

#1 Bush, RB, USC
#33 Winston, OT, Miami(FL)
#65 Griffin, CB, Texas
#66 Colledge, OT, Boise State
#98 Hudson, S, NC State or McNeal, QB, Texas A&M
#170 Meadow, OG, Washington
#251 Bagwell, RB, California-Pennsylvania

Take Bush at #1. Set it and forget it. Can't go wrong. Hope that Winston makes it out of the 1st round. He seems ideal for a zone blocking scheme. Athleticism, strong upper body, wingspan, etc. Griffin has good size, tackles well and covers well. Colledge is another athletic lineman with good blocking skills. At #98 you go for another DB in Hudson, good athleticism and aggression. Team could consider McNeal if he's still on the board, primarily for his athleticism and perhaps as a possible convert to WR. Could allow the team to carry only two QBs. Would love to see him available at #170. In rounds 6 and 7 it's a crapshoot. Meadow is a guard with some mobility who might fit in the Oline scheme. Bagwell is a big time runner from a small program who might be able to make the leap. Another quick, slashing type runner who would fit with the program. Could also look at TE and LB in the later rounds.

Str8tupg42k1
04-05-2006, 07:08 PM
This is a crazy idea and will get bashed for this but how do ya'll see lavar arrington at mlb hes probably too big. at washington the knock on him was he was a freelancer, at mlb ur looking straight at the offense and you go with the play as its snapped. he could go straight toward the hb.
dont make fun of me i'm just dreaming.:ok:

MorKnolle
04-05-2006, 09:31 PM
This is a crazy idea and will get bashed for this but how do ya'll see lavar arrington at mlb hes probably too big. at washington the knock on him was he was a freelancer, at mlb ur looking straight at the offense and you go with the play as its snapped. he could go straight toward the hb.
dont make fun of me i'm just dreaming.:ok:

I would love to have someone of his size and athleticism, but he's more of an OLB, his "freelancing" and apparent lack of leadership would not be ideal fit for MLB, and I don't think they'll go after him, especially after signing extra depth guys like Cowart, Moreno, and others to go with Wong, Orr, Greenwood, and everyone else that is left from last year.

outofhnd
04-05-2006, 09:48 PM
Why not Shantee Orr in the middle? I think he has the instincts to cover and read the offense.

Also could it be possible to move Buchanon to free safety? In my opinion just by watching his play last year, He looked like he could make an excellent safety since he would close on the ball rather than play the receiver. He could basically come over the top like the play against the browns. Then draft a Corner with our first third round pick.

Id like to see us get winston @ 33 But, if he isnt there one of the Corners will be there. Or if not, S Daniel Bullocks from Nebraska if he is still on the board.

Mightymike
04-05-2006, 10:00 PM
Needs-
RT/RG- I would like to see us take the best one that falls out of the 2nd rd.
John Scott, Colledge, Davin Joseph, Jean-Giles, or Charles Spencer
CB- with this position, I don't see a player coming in and starting this year, not jumping over faggins and pbuc. I'm not saying those two deserve to start and are good, just don't think it's likely that we starting a rookie over them). With that being said, I think we should wait till the 3rd or 4th to take a corner.
FS- we need a starting FS. we have 2 SS and NO FS!!! Hopefully this is our 2nd round pick

Caesar
04-05-2006, 10:18 PM
I don't see a player coming in and starting this year, not jumping over faggins and pbuc
I could come in and start ahead of Buchanon and Faggins. Draft any CB on Day 1, and he'll start.

MorKnolle
04-05-2006, 10:26 PM

My prioritized list of needs:

1) #2 CB
2) RT
3) FS
4) WR (future #2 WR, get him now and let him learn for two years behind Moulds and get some experience before we really need him)
5) MLB (future MLB, again get him now and let him learn for two years behind Cowart, Wong, etc. and let him get some experience before we really need him)
6) OG/C (to groom for a year until Wiegert's contract is up)
7) TE (Putzier, Bruener, Joppru, etc. are a decent core, but if a good one falls far enough then I'd consider adding another one since Bruener's old and Joppru is yet to see the field).

OT:
If Eric Winston is somehow available at #33, he should be our top priority there. I don't see him falling that far, so beyond him I think Daryn Colledge is the next best fit for our zone blocking scheme. I don't really think he's worth the #33 pick, and I'm not sure he lasts until #65. I would think about him at #33 if a bunch of other people that I'd rather have are gone. Andrew Whitworth is another option that could be available at #65, he's bigger than he needs to be for our system but he shows good athleticism and lateral movement and is definitely strong, so he would be an option if he could lose 10-15 lbs. and gain some more mobility.

CB:
Assuming Winston does not fall to #33, if Johnathan Joseph or Antonio Cromartie are available they should definitely be our next option, maybe Ashton Youboty there as well. If none of them are available or we take someone else at #33, then Cedric Griffin, DeMario Minter, or Richard Marshall would all be great picks at #65/66. We definitely need to look at a CB on the first day of this draft, and these would probably be my top 6 choices (unless of course Jimmy Williams, Tye Hill, or Michael Huff somehow fall to us at #33).

FS:
I'm not overly fond of taking a FS at #33, I'd prefer to go for OT or CB there. However, there are some FS that will likely be available and would probably be worth the pick. Daniel Bullocks, Ko Simpson, maybe Jason Allen, or definitely Donte Whitner would warrant some consideration at #33. I'm not sure I'd take any of the other FS even at #65/66, but at #97, I'd definitely look at Greg Blue, Daniel Manning, or Pat Watkins.

WR:
I don't want to take a WR in the first two rounds, especially after getting Eric Moulds. However, WRs generally take a year or two to adjust to the NFL game and there are plenty of large WRs available in this draft, so I'd prefer to look for one now to sit and learn behind Moulds and AJ for a year or two and prepare themselves to replace Moulds in two years. Maurice Stovall would definitely be a nice option at #65/66 if he's available, Devin Aromashodu, Jason Avant, Marques Colston, Mike Hass, Brandon Marshall, Anthony Mix, Martin Nance, Jonathan Orr, Todd Watkins, Demetrius Williams, and Travis Wilson would all be decent options at #65/66 or definitely at #97, and we should have a nice selection of them available at #97 to choose from.

MLB:
I think we should look at a MLB now, we have enough depth on the team to get by the next year or two, but we definitely need a young talent to groom for the future. Unfortunately from that standpoint we don't have our 5th round pick anymore (although I definitely don't mind sending that away for Moulds), so we'll either have to use the 4th round pick on one or look for one to fall to us in the 6th round. Bobby Carpenter didn't play MLB in college, but if he falls to #33 and depending on who else is available I'd definitely consider him there. Other than him, Abdul Hodge would be a pretty nice option at #65/66, although I think we need to address more pressing needs with those picks. Clint Ingram from Oklahoma, Roger McIntosh from Miami, or Gerris Wilkinson from Georgia Tech would all be pretty nice options at #65/66 as well if we decide to look for a MLB there. Terna Nande from Miami OH, Anthony Schlegel from Ohio St., and Leon Williams from Miami FL would all be great options in the 6th round if any of them manage to fall, Williams is probably the most likely among those three to fall that far.

OG/C:
Although it is probably not as pressing of a need for us, if Nick Mangold is available at #33 or Davin Joseph is available at #65/66 then either one of them is an absolute take at those positions. Outside of them, Chris Chester looks like a great fit for our zone blocking scheme and is my next choice for an interior OLineman. Hopefully he'll fall to #97 because I would definitely look at taking him there if we don't get Mangold or Joseph, but we might have to take him at #65/66. Chris Kuper, Will Montgomery, or Mark Setterstrom would all be decent options at #97 depending on who else is available, and would definitely be great picks in the 6th round.

Texas
04-05-2006, 10:31 PM
SS and a OL

RB5
04-05-2006, 10:49 PM
I'd say FS and #2 CB are probably the biggest holes. I hope P-Buc can be used because he seems like a great athlete, but that may be all he is. I'm kinda torn between Simpson at #33 and OL since I've seen some good tackles, Winston and McNeil, for example, dropping to that pick. A lot will depend on who they think can play where on the line.

MorKnolle
04-05-2006, 10:50 PM
Also could it be possible to move Buchanon to free safety? In my opinion just by watching his play last year, He looked like he could make an excellent safety since he would close on the ball rather than play the receiver. He could basically come over the top like the play against the browns. Then draft a Corner with our first third round pick.

Absolutely not, Buchanon would probably be more effective from a coverage standpoint getting to sit back and ball hawk, but considering he ran away from making tackles when he was a CB, I don't want him being our deep guy that is responsible for covering the backs of the rest of our defensive players.

Needs-
RT/RG- I would like to see us take the best one that falls out of the 2nd rd.
John Scott, Colledge, Davin Joseph, Jean-Giles, or Charles Spencer
CB- with this position, I don't see a player coming in and starting this year, not jumping over faggins and pbuc. I'm not saying those two deserve to start and are good, just don't think it's likely that we starting a rookie over them). With that being said, I think we should wait till the 3rd or 4th to take a corner.
FS- we need a starting FS. we have 2 SS and NO FS!!! Hopefully this is our 2nd round pick

Jon Scott should fall to #65, I'm not real fond of us getting him there as he seems pretty slow and not real useful for our zone blocking scheme. I hope Colledge or Davin Joseph fall, either one would be a great addition to our team. If both are somehow available I'd take Joseph over Colledge. Jean-Gilles and Spencer are absolutely not good fits for our team. They are the two biggest players in this draft and are in no way a good fit for our zone blocking scheme. Chris Chester would be the next best fit after Winston, Mangold, Joseph, and maybe Colledge, and hopefully Chester will fall to the 4th round but we might have to take him in the 3rd.

TexanFan881
04-05-2006, 11:14 PM
I think a #2 corner and a free safety are our biggest needs, and agree with most of you on that. Maybe we should trade up into the second round and try and get Jonathan Joseph/Ashton Youtoboy and Ko Simpson. Otherwise, I think we take Simpson at 33 and DeMario Minter at 65 or 66. Then we take our remaining 3rd, 4th, and 6th round picks and get O-lineman and maybe a MLB. Also, with the second 3rd round pick we could get a TE. I don't think we're at a point with our O-line where we have to make our early picks for them.

1.) Reggie Bush (best player available in a decade)
33.) Ko Simpson (fills a need at FS)
65.) DeMario Minter (gives P-Buc pressure for job)
66.) David Thomas (incase Joppru misses another season)
98.) Best OLineman (insurance)
170.) Best OLineman (insurance)
251.) Dwayne Slay (not sure if he'll drop this far) / Best MLB (developmental)

jerek
04-05-2006, 11:35 PM
My prioritized list of needs:

1) #2 CB
2) RT
3) FS
4) WR (future #2 WR, get him now and let him learn for two years behind Moulds and get some experience before we really need him)
5) MLB (future MLB, again get him now and let him learn for two years behind Cowart, Wong, etc. and let him get some experience before we really need him)
6) OG/C (to groom for a year until Wiegert's contract is up)
7) TE (Putzier, Bruener, Joppru, etc. are a decent core, but if a good one falls far enough then I'd consider adding another one since Bruener's old and Joppru is yet to see the field).

OT:
If Eric Winston is somehow available at #33, he should be our top priority there. I don't see him falling that far, so beyond him I think Daryn Colledge is the next best fit for our zone blocking scheme. I don't really think he's worth the #33 pick, and I'm not sure he lasts until #65. I would think about him at #33 if a bunch of other people that I'd rather have are gone. Andrew Whitworth is another option that could be available at #65, he's bigger than he needs to be for our system but he shows good athleticism and lateral movement and is definitely strong, so he would be an option if he could lose 10-15 lbs. and gain some more mobility.

CB:
Assuming Winston does not fall to #33, if Johnathan Joseph or Antonio Cromartie are available they should definitely be our next option, maybe Ashton Youboty there as well. If none of them are available or we take someone else at #33, then Cedric Griffin, DeMario Minter, or Richard Marshall would all be great picks at #65/66. We definitely need to look at a CB on the first day of this draft, and these would probably be my top 6 choices (unless of course Jimmy Williams, Tye Hill, or Michael Huff somehow fall to us at #33).

FS:
I'm not overly fond of taking a FS at #33, I'd prefer to go for OT or CB there. However, there are some FS that will likely be available and would probably be worth the pick. Daniel Bullocks, Ko Simpson, maybe Jason Allen, or definitely Donte Whitner would warrant some consideration at #33. I'm not sure I'd take any of the other FS even at #65/66, but at #97, I'd definitely look at Greg Blue, Daniel Manning, or Pat Watkins.

WR:
I don't want to take a WR in the first two rounds, especially after getting Eric Moulds. However, WRs generally take a year or two to adjust to the NFL game and there are plenty of large WRs available in this draft, so I'd prefer to look for one now to sit and learn behind Moulds and AJ for a year or two and prepare themselves to replace Moulds in two years. Maurice Stovall would definitely be a nice option at #65/66 if he's available, Devin Aromashodu, Jason Avant, Marques Colston, Mike Hass, Brandon Marshall, Anthony Mix, Martin Nance, Jonathan Orr, Todd Watkins, Demetrius Williams, and Travis Wilson would all be decent options at #65/66 or definitely at #97, and we should have a nice selection of them available at #97 to choose from.

MLB:
I think we should look at a MLB now, we have enough depth on the team to get by the next year or two, but we definitely need a young talent to groom for the future. Unfortunately from that standpoint we don't have our 5th round pick anymore (although I definitely don't mind sending that away for Moulds), so we'll either have to use the 4th round pick on one or look for one to fall to us in the 6th round. Bobby Carpenter didn't play MLB in college, but if he falls to #33 and depending on who else is available I'd definitely consider him there. Other than him, Abdul Hodge would be a pretty nice option at #65/66, although I think we need to address more pressing needs with those picks. Clint Ingram from Oklahoma, Roger McIntosh from Miami, or Gerris Wilkinson from Georgia Tech would all be pretty nice options at #65/66 as well if we decide to look for a MLB there. Terna Nande from Miami OH, Anthony Schlegel from Ohio St., and Leon Williams from Miami FL would all be great options in the 6th round if any of them manage to fall, Williams is probably the most likely among those three to fall that far.

OG/C:
Although it is probably not as pressing of a need for us, if Nick Mangold is available at #33 or Davin Joseph is available at #65/66 then either one of them is an absolute take at those positions. Outside of them, Chris Chester looks like a great fit for our zone blocking scheme and is my next choice for an interior OLineman. Hopefully he'll fall to #97 because I would definitely look at taking him there if we don't get Mangold or Joseph, but we might have to take him at #65/66. Chris Kuper, Will Montgomery, or Mark Setterstrom would all be decent options at #97 depending on who else is available, and would definitely be great picks in the 6th round.

I will backpack on what Mork said. It's too easy and there is no need to repeat him.

pskinny
04-05-2006, 11:51 PM
How could anything be more important than right tackle and right guard? We've added one quality O lineman in the offseason thus far.

I know we have holes on the defensive side of the ball, but it's impossible to fix the disaster left by Capers overnight. Lets get David some protection, sure up the offensive line with 33 and 65, and go D the rest of the draft and next season.

wolf123
04-06-2006, 01:10 AM
I think a #2 corner and a free safety are our biggest needs, and agree with most of you on that. Maybe we should trade up into the second round and try and get Jonathan Joseph/Ashton Youtoboy and Ko Simpson. Otherwise, I think we take Simpson at 33 and DeMario Minter at 65 or 66. Then we take our remaining 3rd, 4th, and 6th round picks and get O-lineman and maybe a MLB. Also, with the second 3rd round pick we could get a TE. I don't think we're at a point with our O-line where we have to make our early picks for them.

1.) Reggie Bush (best player available in a decade)
33.) Ko Simpson (fills a need at FS)
65.) DeMario Minter (gives P-Buc pressure for job)
66.) David Thomas (incase Joppru misses another season)
98.) Best OLineman (insurance)
170.) Best OLineman (insurance)
251.) Dwayne Slay (not sure if he'll drop this far) / Best MLB (developmental)

I agree with a top two needs, CB and FS, completely. An OT and OG would also be nice and definitely will be addressed somewhere in this draft. The truth is, with all the attention placed on the offense so far I don't see the draft committee taking an OL with the 2nd pick. There is so outstanding talent this year in the secondary and their impact would be immediate.
I would put money on the our first 4 picks working out in this manner, if these players are still available.

1) Bush
33) Donte Whitner(if he fell), J Joseph(CB), A Cromat(CB), KO(FS)
65) OL - D. Joseph, Colledge, John Scott, Charles Spencer
66) R Marshal(CB), Pat Watkins(FS), C Griffin(CB), D Minter(CB)
98) OL, DE, or LB
170) OL, DE, LB, TE
251) S or WR (special team skills)

HJam72
04-06-2006, 04:02 AM
OTs go higher than other O-linemen. Well, at least I know the LTs do.

LongBignasty1
04-06-2006, 07:37 AM
1. Bush or Young ( i'm happy with either)
2. Winston Justice
3. CB/SS ( C. Griffin)
3. OG
4.- 5. Best available

thunderkyss
04-06-2006, 07:55 AM
Read the Last Quote (http://search.chron.com/chronicle/openDocument.do?docRef=03_28_2006_2_29texans.x2)

Gary Kubiak
"Being able to take the best players available is the way to have your best draft," Casserly said. "Based on what we've been able to do so far, that's the way we're headed right now."

I like the way this sounds. So far, I'm very very pleased with our new coach.

mancunian
04-06-2006, 07:57 AM

oline, CB, Safety, back up QB as I'm not convinced by any of the guys behind Carr

Texan in Japan
04-06-2006, 09:10 AM
Read the Last Quote (http://search.chron.com/chronicle/openDocument.do?docRef=03_28_2006_2_29texans.x2)

I like the way this sounds. So far, I'm very very pleased with our new coach.

Honestly I think our off-season acquisitions have put us in a position to draft BPA at each pick. This is a true luxury and will allow us to add impact players, vice reach for need. While we may have underachievers in some areas (#2 CB & RT for example), we do have people who have started and can play those positions.

Who knows with better coaching, more veteran leadership and better players around them, maybe they won't be as bad.

I really like our current posturing. We've added leadership, talent and depth. We still have needs, but no major gaps. That I believe is the key heading into the draft that will allow us to go BPA w/ each pick and not feel bad about not reaching for a need. IMHO.

Texans34Life
04-06-2006, 11:41 AM
I noticed from all the comments in this thread that we don't need to replace anyone on the DL. Is our DL solidified with Weaver and Kalu as pickups?

Our DL currently consists of -

Left Side
DE - Babin and Peek
DT - Robaire Smith and Travis Johnson

Right Side
DE - Travis Johnson and Seth Payne
DT - DeLoach and Weaver

That doesn't look promising.... :thumbdown :dangit: :thud:

blockhead83
04-06-2006, 11:53 AM
I think Weaver, Robaire, and Payne are solid. TJ is still as ? mark but he should develop, and the biggest question mark is how Babin and Peek will perform as DE's.

el toro
04-06-2006, 12:29 PM
I think it's a given that one of the #33, #65, and #66 picks will be an offensive lineman, if not two. I'm feeling a split between the Oline and secondary for the last 4 picks in the top 100. Of course, if they see someone at another position they really like they can pick there.

In the later rounds, I think there is the potential to pick up a lineman who's slipped through the cracks, someone whose size or injuries have cause them to fall but someone with great athleticism and lateral mobility to fit in the zone blocking scheme.

Pick #98 might be their chance to take a guy who the front office feels is a really good prospect, regardless of position.

I've seen Slay mentioned above. I'd add Klopfenstein and McNeal to that list. I think each of those 3 would be nice pickups and could be on the board at #98.

Texans34Life
04-07-2006, 02:54 AM
It seems like Mel Kiper answered the holes we need to fill through the draft:

brian, texas: The Texans draft Reggie no doubt right? But what about the 2nd and 3rd rounds

Mel Kiper: The Texans draft Reggie no doubt. Write that down in pen. After that, they look at OL, but keep in mind they've made some moves there. They have to address it still. They made the deal with Buffalo for Eric Moulds. You've helped your skill positions with Bush and Moulds. LB is another need area. OL or LB in the second round.

And Scouts.com Draft gives us holes to fill too:

1. Houston Texans (2-14)
Top five needs: WR, OT, OG, CB, MLB
The pick: +Reggie Bush, RB, USC

It would take a blockbuster trade offer to entice the Texans to pass on Bush, who cemented his status as the clear-cut No. 1 prospect in the 2006 draft class by running a 4.33 40-yard dash at USC's recent pro day. Running back is not one of the Texans' top positional needs, but Bush is far more than just a running back. He's the most explosive runner, receiver and return man that this year's class has to offer. No other rookie will make a bigger impact than Bush will for the Texans next season.

Texans Horror
04-07-2006, 09:13 AM
It seems like Mel Kiper answered the holes we need to fill through the draft:

brian, texas: The Texans draft Reggie no doubt right? But what about the 2nd and 3rd rounds

Mel Kiper: The Texans draft Reggie no doubt. Write that down in pen. After that, they look at OL, but keep in mind they've made some moves there. They have to address it still. They made the deal with Buffalo for Eric Moulds. You've helped your skill positions with Bush and Moulds. LB is another need area. OL or LB in the second round.

And Scouts.com Draft gives us holes to fill too:

1. Houston Texans (2-14)
Top five needs: WR, OT, OG, CB, MLB
The pick: +Reggie Bush, RB, USC

It would take a blockbuster trade offer to entice the Texans to pass on Bush, who cemented his status as the clear-cut No. 1 prospect in the 2006 draft class by running a 4.33 40-yard dash at USC's recent pro day. Running back is not one of the Texans' top positional needs, but Bush is far more than just a running back. He's the most explosive runner, receiver and return man that this year's class has to offer. No other rookie will make a bigger impact than Bush will for the Texans next season.

There is only so many positions that can change in a team. I don't think the front seven on D will change more than it already has. Getting another lineman is key because the right side of our line is getting old. I used to be a big supporter of taking Winston with the #33 spot, and I still think he would be a great take there, but IMO the stronger need is the safety. That could have an immediate impact; I don't see a drafted lineman cracking the opening line.

Will we go for a KO Simpson or somebody else? I've even toyed around with the thought of the Texans trading up to get Michael Huff, but with all the other investments this year, I don't see that happening.

Likely we stay with Winston at 33, give him a year to recuperate, and start him in 07. He has the athletic ability to fit into Kubiak's scheme, and we need good linemen to bolster some outstanding offensive weapons. With the next pick, we take Cedric Griffin or whoever is the best defensive secondary available.

I would prefer it, though, if we tried to get a KO Simpson with the 33rd pick and brought in a lineman at a lower position.