PDA

View Full Version : Lance Z's comments on our new look offense

Sportsfan
04-05-2006, 09:36 AM
On 610 this morning Lance said he thinks people shouldn't get too excited just yet about the new offense b/c he believes the Texans will be lucky to have 2 games where they score at least 20 points. What??? (by the way, Granato emphatically disagreed)

I agree w/the part about fans getting too excited just yet, i mean the team has to gel and master the new schemes before putting up the big numbers and that doesn't happen overnight. But c'mon, 2 games w/at least 20 points???

Discuss.

el toro
04-05-2006, 09:40 AM
They scored 20 or more points in five games last season. Not the first time a talking head has said something incredibly stupid...

infantrycak
04-05-2006, 09:41 AM
You misheard him. Granato was talking about having a top 10 O and somehow 23 ppg got thrown out. Lance doubted they would average 23 ppg but said they should do better than scoring more than 21 points in just two games--a reference to last year when the O only had two games with more than 21 points.

Blake
04-05-2006, 09:41 AM
Dont give me that "Gel" crap. Or that "master the new scheme" crap. Im tired of everyone letting crappy play slide, because they need time to "gel"

Some other teams shuffle the lineup every year, and sometimes all season long.

A good team/coach will make it work. Not use excuses like we need time to gel.

bad
04-05-2006, 09:42 AM
I think this is the perfect time for fans to be excited. It's a new year, a new scheme, a new head coach, the first pick in the draft...if you can't be excited now, you need to up your meds.

BTW, I think the Texans will have more than two halves where they score over 20 points. I may be wrong, but I'll always choose happy optimism over bleak hopelessness.

Lance needs to up his meds.

Sportsfan
04-05-2006, 09:44 AM
You misheard him. Granato was talking about having a top 10 O and somehow 23 ppg got thrown out. Lance doubted they would average 23 ppg but said they should do better than scoring more than 21 points in just two games--a reference to last year when the O only had two games with more than 21 points.

Hmmm, possibly, but i'm 99.9% sure thats what i heard. Is this Lance by the way? LOL

But hey if i'm wrong, sorry, just delete this thread b/c its pointless now i guess.

Mike Kerns
04-05-2006, 09:44 AM
This came from the same guy who said his dream scenario for the draft is to trade down to #4, then trade back up to #2 to take Vince:confused:

infantrycak
04-05-2006, 09:57 AM
This came from the same guy who said his dream scenario for the draft is to trade down to #4, then trade back up to #2 to take Vince:confused:

No--that was Rich Lord in the afternoon after saying it was his fantasy to keep his man crush no VY alive (his words).

el toro
04-05-2006, 10:58 AM

The talent and coaching will be there to average 23 a game, assuming that they select Bush.

TexanBacker93
04-05-2006, 11:00 AM
No--that was Rich Lord in the afternoon after saying it was his fantasy to keep his man crush no VY alive (his words).

I think Rich Lord's man-crush on VY is because his wife is a UT alum. He might still like him, but I think she's behind the curtain.

Blu
04-05-2006, 11:04 AM
John is just a realist. I'm high on the Texans as well... but will keep my distance from playoff talk just yet.

I just don't want to hear anymore excusses about how this team needs time, your time is fading fast, and the Cowboys fans are just getting more ammo every year to run their mouths.

Mike Kerns
04-05-2006, 11:14 AM

You're right, my bad. He's an idiot too. I like Charlie on 790. He sees things from every side & he actually replies to emails. Oh yes, he talks about sports too, that helps.

Bearfan Blue and Orange
04-05-2006, 11:18 AM

This guy is dumb especially when you can get Vince (if they wanted him, ANOTHER THREAD) around the 10th pick of the draft. Leinart is going to be the FIRST QB taken in the draft.

Bearfan Blue and Orange
04-05-2006, 11:19 AM
The talent and coaching will be there to average 23 a game, assuming that they select Bush.

You only need to average 1 point more than your opponent, because if I am correct, THAT IS A WIN!!!

keyfro
04-05-2006, 11:22 AM
anyone who doesn't think this offense will be leaps and bounds better than last year just doesn't see the picture in front of us...we now have a ligit #2 reciever, we now have a ligit TE, and we now have both a head coach that understands offense, and an offensive coordinator who has never been discribed as a very conservative mind...the only part of the team i think might need to gel is the o-line...but mckinney and pitts have played together for 4 years now...flanagan is all-pro center who knows how to get the job done...and weigert is a guy who is gonna do his part as long as he's healthy...now we just need wand and weary to start doing their part and then we'll be just fine

Texans86
04-05-2006, 11:26 AM
Dont give me that "Gel" crap. Or that "master the new scheme" crap. Im tired of everyone letting crappy play slide, because they need time to "gel"

Wow, that's kind of harsh. Yes, many team infuse new players every year. But rarely do you see a team who gets a new coach, new system and lots of new players, and then goes on to do well imediately. Usually, one of those is taken out. i.e. New coach comes in with slightly different system, same players still ahev chemistry. Or same coach, same system, some new players. But when all three are new, theres going to be days where they take off the training wheels and fall flat on their face.

TexanBacker93
04-05-2006, 11:29 AM
You only need to average 1 point more than your opponent, because if I am correct, THAT IS A WIN!!!

If you game by game that is true. Over the course of a season that can be skewed. If you win one by 16 and lose the next 15 by 1 you are still going to be averaging more than your opponents, but you'll be 1-15. As long as the wins are there, I don't care how many points are scored. I would love to see some fireworks, though.

Sportsfan
04-05-2006, 11:36 AM
Wow, that's kind of harsh. Yes, many team infuse new players every year. But rarely do you see a team who gets a new coach, new system and lots of new players, and then goes on to do well imediately. Usually, one of those is taken out. i.e. New coach comes in with slightly different system, same players still ahev chemistry. Or same coach, same system, some new players. But when all three are new, theres going to be days where they take off the training wheels and fall flat on their face.

I was just about to reply to mr. know-it-all but ya beat me to it. The key word you said was 'immediately'. For sure the Texans' O is gonna be leaps and bounds better, but its not happening overnight, they gotta work hard and yes i agree they will make plenty of mistakes. But in the long wrong assuming everything goes to plan, we will have an offense to be reckoned with.

DRAMA
04-05-2006, 11:45 AM
You're right, my bad. He's an idiot too. I like Charlie on 790. He sees things from every side & he actually replies to emails. Oh yes, he talks about sports too, that helps.

I started listening to Pallilo alot more as well. It's amazing how he doesn't have to talk over someone else, he's incredibly smart, he actually takes calls, AND there are fewer commercials to listen too.

After 5pm, I'm 790 all the way....I just wish they had something to take the place of that crap on 610 mornings!

Mike Kerns
04-05-2006, 11:48 AM
Yeah, I wish 790 would do local sports in the morning instead of Mike & Mike.

Texans34Life
04-05-2006, 12:05 PM
I started listening to Pallilo alot more as well. It's amazing how he doesn't have to talk over someone else, he's incredibly smart, he actually takes calls, AND there are fewer commercials to listen too.

After 5pm, I'm 790 all the way....I just wish they had something to take the place of that crap on 610 mornings!

I have always like Charlie. Very informative and very knowledgable. He's just Chuck Cooperstein up here in Dallas.

Although I love how he gives people a chance to talk, he really needs to cut down time on some of the callers. Everyone would like to get on to share their opinion.

Marcus
04-05-2006, 12:13 PM
On 610 this morning Lance said he thinks people shouldn't get too excited just yet about the new offense b/c he believes the Texans will be lucky to have 2 games where they score at least 20 points. What??? (by the way, Granato emphatically disagreed)

I agree w/the part about fans getting too excited just yet, i mean the team has to gel and master the new schemes before putting up the big numbers and that doesn't happen overnight. But c'mon, 2 games w/at least 20 points???

Discuss.

You just need to keep in mind one thing . . . how well the O-line does. Pay attention to that more than Eric Moulds, Andre Johnson, Gary Kubiak, Mike Sherman, or even Reggie Bush. . . or it's

"The ball is snapped, and ____ Boom!____Carr is sacked before he can release it."

Sportsfan
04-05-2006, 01:43 PM
You just need to keep in mind one thing . . . how well the O-line does. Pay attention to that more than Eric Moulds, Andre Johnson, Gary Kubiak, Mike Sherman, or even Reggie Bush. . . or it's

"The ball is snapped, and ____ Boom!____Carr is sacked before he can release it."

Agreed. Its like an engine, everything has to work.

pskinny
04-05-2006, 01:48 PM
Hmmm, possibly, but i'm 99.9% sure thats what i heard. Is this Lance by the way? LOL

But hey if i'm wrong, sorry, just delete this thread b/c its pointless now i guess.

I was listening this morning. Infantrycak is right. You misheard.

Bobo
04-05-2006, 01:52 PM
On 610 this morning Lance said he thinks people shouldn't get too excited just yet about the new offense b/c he believes the Texans will be lucky to have 2 games where they score at least 20 points. What???

I agree. The offensive line is still very, very suspect. If this was fantasy football, that's one thing. Plus, I doubt anyone on this board would even stock their fantasy football teams with Texans this year either.

TexanFanInCC
04-05-2006, 02:12 PM
Yea get excited, this should be an exciting time and dont let News or radio people who get paid to disagree make you change your mind.
I am pumped we got all these FA and finaly a HC to lead us in the right direction, and one of the greatest RBs to come out of college football is going to be a Texan.:yahoo: :redtowel:

this has been the most interesting and certainly the most fun offseason for any of the three major sports franchises in htown that i can remember since i starting paying attention to sports (15 yrs ago when i was 5 yrs old). the rockets had some good ones like when they got drexler, and the astros when they got randy johnson, but this yr's texans offseason is the best.

Hervoyel
04-05-2006, 02:35 PM

I understand your frustration (after the past four years and how last season ended I think we all do) but you don't just write off the need for a team to "gel" because you happen to think it's only an excuse for "crappy play". It's real and it's necessary. You add players or change what you're doing and it takes a little time to get everything in synch. That's just a fact and the length of time needed for this to happen goes up right in step with the number of changes you are making.

No, it doesn't take all season for a team with some changes and a new offense to "gel", nor does it take four years for an offensive line to gel when they make changes to how they pass protect or run block. It does take a little time though.

I am of the opinion that we should see something very much like our eventual offense by the midpoint of next season. There will still be the odd inexplicable screw up here and there after that but they will mostly look like what they are by week 7-8.

That's assuming we see no rash of injuries early in the year, aside from Joppru who will go down with a massive groin explosion (through no fault of his own) thirteen minutes after he arrives at training camp. Hopefully nobody is hit by flying Joppru groin shrapnel and ends up joining him on the disabled list for the rest of the season.

jerek
04-05-2006, 02:39 PM
I understand your frustration (after the past four years and how last season ended I think we all do) but you don't just write off the need for a team to "gel" just because you think it's an excuse for "crappy play". It's real and it's necessary. You add players or change what you're doing and it takes a little time to get everything in synch. That's just a fact and the length of time needed for this to happen goes up right in step with the number of changes you are making.

No, it doesn't take all season for a team with some changes and a new offense to "gel", nor does it take four years for an offensive line to gel when they make changes to how they pass protect or run block. It does take a little time though.

I am of the opinion that we should see something very much like our eventual offense by the midpoint of next season. There will still be the odd inexplicable screw up here and there after that but they will mostly look like what they are by week 7-8.

That's assuming we see no rash of injuries early in the year, aside from Joppru who will go down with a massive groin explosion (through no fault of his own) thirteen minutes after he arrives at training camp. Hopefully nobody is hit by flying Joppru groin shrapnel and ends up joining him on the disabled list for the rest of the season.

Gelling (or lack thereof) is a fact in sports. I see it on every team I have played on and/or coached. It is the most complex in football, where you are a player with ten other teammates on the field with you at all times, and another 11 on the other side.

Of course, part of gelling is good coaching/leadership. We didn't have it last year, hopefully we do this time around.

TheOgre
04-05-2006, 02:44 PM
I think we will finish around the middle of the pack on offense this year. I also think we will be improved against the run (with Weaver, Smith, TJ, Cowart, and Greenwood in the front seven), ending up in the middle of the pack there too. Unfortunately it looks like we might be lacking in the pass-rush department again and we have a secondary that will get scorched. I'm expecting us to finish in the bottom quarter of pass-defenses in the league. It should make for some exciting football. I think we will have some decent comebacks and blow some decent leads this season.