PDA

View Full Version : In this thread we blaspheme.

powerfuldragon
04-05-2006, 07:34 AM
Prior to this offseason, I was among those who thought charlie casserly a bum. I wanted him out of this organization.
But this offseason, he let kubiak pick who he wanted. he pursued kubiak's wants, and for the most part, he succeeded. This caused me to take a step back. Could it be that cass wasn't such a bad gm after all?! Maybe it was all Dom Capers fault? Talk about a paradigm shift.

Recap: Dom was bad. Kubiak seems good. Maybe our coach is the lens through which we see our GM.

jacquescas
04-05-2006, 07:53 AM
ya but a good GM doesn't hire a crappy coach, doesn't let his coach run his team into the ground and stiffle talent development.

other than that Cass has come up roses

jmerog
04-05-2006, 08:00 AM
Powerfuldragon--

Well put. I feel exactly the same way. I enjoyed being a casserly hater and I'm going through withdrawls now but this offseason speaks for itself. The man did a good job. Well, i guess its good news- another good new addition to the organization-casserly with a new personality.

You know how women often reflect the views/goals of thier men and support them- I think its the same way with casserly. He got a new man who brought out the best in him.ie-Casserly is a reflection of his coach as you said.

So really he's a good B*%$H, He just had a bad man

SA Fan
04-05-2006, 08:07 AM
IMHO Casserly's behavior is consistent with what was surmised about him when Capers was fired and he spoke out a bit.

What I remember the summation on his GM style was:
The coach dictated the FA and high round draft picks and Casserly was free to gamble on the lower round and supplemental draft picks.
In fact, I remember that there was stipulation that Casserly was kept on board after Capers dismissal only if he'd grow a pair and standup to the next coach.

Since Capers was determined to build through the draft and not FA (and often wasted cap money on extensions of loyal players contracts), and articles on the Texans scouting department have shown a disparity between the size of thier college and FA scout pools, I guess it would make sense that FA acquisitons were nominal to bust status in the past.

How the Texans were able to sign all these FA's with a rookie HC and a 2-14 season, I don't know. Unless Kubiak is that well respected by even journeyman players in the league. Also, there is the factor that McNair has opened the purse strings like never before.

But if Kubiak is saying "I want these guys." Then Charlie has shown in the past thet he is going to try to get them.

So in conclusion: Casserly still hasn't grown a pair, but with Kubes in the mix, it may be a good thing.

Texans_Chick
04-05-2006, 08:13 AM
This is likely to be one of those threads that will likely be funny in retrospect.

What date in the season does the full-on Kubiak bashing begin? Because in the NFL, it is not a question of if that happens, it is a question of when.

I'd have y'all pick a date sometime next year for the Casserly bashing but I am guessing he will be gone after the draft is done. Actually, there are likely going to be some draft moves that some people won't be happy with because there always are.

chuckm
04-05-2006, 08:15 AM
IMO Casserly will be the scapegoat if Young isn't drafted by the Texans (regardless of how Bush performs) .... it's probably a good thing that he's moving on ....

Marcus
04-05-2006, 10:34 AM
Funny how y'all are ready to enshrine these new coaches into the Hall of Fame, and they haven't even started training camp yet.

As for Casserly, he's no different now, as he was a year ago, the year before that, and the year before that, and the year before that . . . . . . .

Ok, lemme get this straight.

He does what he's told, or should I say, complies with the requests, by the new coaching staff, and he's a good GM?

But in the previous years, he does what he's told, or should I say, complies with the requests, by the Capers' staff, and he's a bad GM?

Yeah. Makes perfect sense to me.:brickwall :hairpull: :brickwall :hairpull:

Texans86
04-05-2006, 10:45 AM
Given that we haven't had the draft, or even played a preseason game, I can only look at the FA period. If he truly is the mastermind technician behind the trades and FA pick-ups, then he might not be too bad. He has made some bad decisions in the past during the draft on some reaches, but has also shown flashes of smarts. Perhaps this is the reason that GM's get two coaches before they are fired.

bigTEXan8
04-05-2006, 10:55 AM
I personally think that Cass has done a solid job at getting the moves done, getting the deals taken care of. I just wonder that with a majority of the moves being made addressing the offense, if the draft will be filled with more defensive picks?

el toro
04-05-2006, 10:56 AM
This is likely to be one of those threads that will likely be funny in retrospect.

What date in the season does the full-on Kubiak bashing begin? Because in the NFL, it is not a question of if that happens, it is a question of when.

I'd have y'all pick a date sometime next year for the Casserly bashing but I am guessing he will be gone after the draft is done. Actually, there are likely going to be some draft moves that some people won't be happy with because there always are.

Easy. On the day of the 1st loss.

Texans86
04-05-2006, 11:00 AM
I personally think that Cass has done a solid job at getting the moves done, getting the deals taken care of. I just wonder that with a majority of the moves being made addressing the offense, if the draft will be filled with more defensive picks?

I'm thinking there will be at least 2 offensive pick, maybe a 3rd. RB, OT and maybe an OG. Minus the 7 for Walter and the 4/5 for Moulds, theres still 3-4 picks for defense.

el toro
04-05-2006, 11:08 AM
Picks:

6th rounder
7th rounder

At #33 I suspect they will find a high quality lineman prospect, probably a tackle. #65 and 66 will give them the option to pick up solid DB and OG prospects. #98 will be intriguing because they can still land a great prospect (at any position. That's also the 1st pick of the 2nd day.) The 6th and 7th rounders can be used on whoever. Maybe they can find a lineman who fits the profile for the zone blocking scheme in those last two rounds, someone who teams have focused too much on what he can't do and not on what he can do well.

I think #33, #65, #66, and #98 will be weighted towards the Oline and the secondary. But there's still room to take a prospect at any position if they feel strongly about him. It's great that they have that extra pick within the top 100. That made the 5th rounder a little more expendable, IMO.

el toro
04-05-2006, 11:17 AM
For those of you scoring at home, the 6th rounder will be the 170th pick in the draft and the 7th rounder will be the 251st pick.

Full Draft Order (http://www.nfl.com/draft/drafttracker/round/round1)

Texans86
04-05-2006, 11:51 AM
For those of you scoring at home, the 6th rounder will be the 170th pick in the draft and the 7th rounder will be the 251st pick.

Full Draft Order (http://www.nfl.com/draft/drafttracker/round/round1)

Is that 251 the 7th we traded for Walter or the supplementary pick?

el toro
04-05-2006, 12:04 PM
Is that 251 the 7th we traded for Walter or the supplementary pick?

It's the supplemental.

TEXANRED
04-05-2006, 12:08 PM
It's the GM's job to evaluate talent, over see opporations, maintain quality control.

He has failed at that for the last four years.

He let Sharper go, Glenne go, signed Bradford......twice, thrown aways two years worth of draft picks with Babin and Pbuc, over paid for such steller players like Greenwood and Wade, had Derrick Johnson in his grasp and traded down to pick up a back up tackle in Travis Johnson, has yet to address the O-line.

So no he hasen't done a good job. If he is going to go with all of the coach'e recomendations then why even have a GM? If you let the coach build the team then let the coach be both.

but that is just my opinion.

el toro
04-05-2006, 12:14 PM
It's the GM's job to evaluate talent, over see opporations, maintain quality control.

He has failed at that for the last four years.

He let Sharper go, Glenne go, signed Bradford......twice, thrown aways two years worth of draft picks with Babin and Pbuc, over paid for such steller players like Greenwood and Wade, had Derrick Johnson in his grasp and traded down to pick up a back up tackle in Travis Johnson, has yet to address the O-line.

So no he hasen't done a good job. If he is going to go with all of the coach'e recomendations then why even have a GM? If you let the coach build the team then let the coach be both.

but that is just my opinion.

You still need someone to handle the negotiations with players, manage the cap, make the trades, and make the picks. The major problem is when the coach's vision just isn't there (ie Capers). I'd be more worried about a GM who is warring with the coaching staff.

tsip
04-05-2006, 01:35 PM
The biggest mistake this team made was hiring Capers and then compounding the error of that hire by 'buying' into Caper's BS. Capers said all the right things when they needed to be said--'gotta put teams away/gotta score early/gotta stretch the field/gotta be aggressive,etc.etc.'--but that was only 'lip service' as he never intended to change anything. Remember, as Dom told us over and over, his philosophies were not the problem--execution was...

It is not easy trying to figure out Casserly's role in the 'mess that was,' but I believe it was more Caper's doing than anyone elses. Trying, as Capers did so often, to put round pegs in square holes is not going to work and-too- it's kinda hard to learn/correct your mistakes if (like Capers believed) you never make any...let's hope for brighter days ahead!:yahoo:

texansfan1974
04-05-2006, 04:45 PM
Recap: Dom was bad. Kubiak seems good. Maybe our coach is the lens through which we see our GM.

I have said this all along. Cass got the bad rap from Dom. This is why Cass is still with us for now.

HJam72
04-05-2006, 04:48 PM
What date in the season does the full-on Kubiak bashing begin?

Kubiak sucks!!! It's already April 5th and this team hasn't even drafted anybody yet! :brickwall

PS-By the way, when is draft day exactly?

PSS-Nevermind, I found it with Google: April 29-30 - NFL Draft ’06 –Radio City Hall, New York City, New York

cuppacoffee
04-05-2006, 05:02 PM
Kubiak sucks!!! It's already April 5th and this team hasn't even drafted anybody yet!

PS-By the way, when is draft day exactly?

My best Tagliabue impersonation:

" in the fifth round of the 2006 NFL draft the Houston Texans select

Eric Moulds from the Buffalo Bills"...:yahoo:

Might be a long wait for our next selection though. :drool:

"From USC the Houston Texans select Reggie Bush."..:superman:

:coffee:

HJam72
04-05-2006, 05:04 PM
" in the fifth round of the 2006 NFL draft the Houston Texans select

Eric Moulds from the Buffalo Bills"...:yahoo:

Good point. I can't even make up something to dislike him for. :idonno:

texansfan1974
04-05-2006, 05:08 PM
"From USC the Houston Texans select Reggie Bush."..:superman:

:coffee:

I have been walking around murming this to myself for months now.

hollywood_texan
04-05-2006, 05:47 PM
I have not heard or read anything from a credable source that details what Casserly was on the hook for with his job. In other words, what was expected of him.

Without that, it is hard to say if the first four years were his fault or did Capers have more control over personnel moves and Casserly just facilitated them.

It does look like from what is generally expected from a GM in the NFL, Casserly did a poor job the first 4 years. But then again, what was he really responsible for during that time? Maybe he was doing the best he could of a poor situation with Capers coaching and calling the personnel shots? He did hire Capers.

I don't know but I don't get a comfortable feeling from him when I hear him talk or read quotes from what he says.

aj.
04-05-2006, 06:13 PM
When CC admitted that Reeves was asking all the football questions during the head coach interviews in January, it became obvious that the GMs role had changed significantly from 'then' to 'now,' especially when coupled with the promotion of Ferens to VP of Football Administration, and other telltale things that have been said by McNair and others. The change in role needs to be factored into any assessment of the GM for the then and now periods.

I could be wrong but I sense McNair might go for parallel positions of VP Football Ops and VP Football Admin in the future since there's strong evidence that he doesn't care for a strong GM and prefers a high level check and balance on his executive staff.

PapaL
04-05-2006, 06:54 PM
ya but a good GM doesn't hire a crappy coach, doesn't let his coach run his team into the ground and stiffle talent development.

Capers is probably the best person in the NFL to HC an expansion team. No one has done it more often than him. You have to remember that no one really wants to be the HC at a new team. Its more painful then any other HC position in the league.

Frank_The_Tank
04-05-2006, 07:14 PM
I am still stuck on Charleys hair LOL Sorry but man what a head of hear!:hairpull:

tsip
04-05-2006, 08:55 PM
Capers is probably the best person in the NFL to HC an expansion team. No one has done it more often than him. You have to remember that no one really wants to be the HC at a new team. Its more painful then any other HC position in the league.

...no one really wants to be the HC at a new team? ...put an ad in the paper and see what happens!! Unfortunately, Capers did not learn anything from his first HC job and tried the same things with his second--think he'll get a third chance somewhere? Now, he can not even get a DC job--no, he's not the DC in Miami--has a 1 yr contract as Asst to the HC.

powerfuldragon
04-06-2006, 09:45 AM

wasn't mcnair the guy who made the final decision on Capers?

powerfuldragon
04-06-2006, 09:51 AM
Funny how y'all are ready to enshrine these new coaches into the Hall of Fame, and they haven't even started training camp yet.

As for Casserly, he's no different now, as he was a year ago, the year before that, and the year before that, and the year before that . . . . . . .

Ok, lemme get this straight.

He does what he's told, or should I say, complies with the requests, by the new coaching staff, and he's a good GM?

But in the previous years, he does what he's told, or should I say, complies with the requests, by the Capers' staff, and he's a bad GM?

Yeah. Makes perfect sense to me.:brickwall :hairpull: :brickwall :hairpull:

No. You seem to comprehend the basics of it, but what i essentially said was, our coach is the lens through which we view our GM.
As soon as Dom Capers started mucking up our team, we all hated Casserly with passionate intensity. Now that Kubiak is in the fold and making smarter decisions, all of a sudden Cass doesn't look quite as bad, in fact he seems to be a competent GM.

PapaL
04-06-2006, 02:54 PM
...no one really wants to be the HC at a new team? ...put an ad in the paper and see what happens!!

How many NFL quality coaches were fighting to become our HC? Much less any of the other recent expansion teams. HC'ing a new team is much harder then an established team. There's the little thing of having 0 players.

Texans Horror
04-06-2006, 03:01 PM
You know Cass is probably pissed about Reeves, so I figure he's outta here.

tsip
04-06-2006, 03:11 PM
How many NFL quality coaches were fighting to become our HC? Much less any of the other recent expansion teams. HC'ing a new team is much harder then an established team. There's the little thing of having 0 players.

There were 7 finalists for the job as HC of the Texans.

http://archive.sportingnews.com/nfl/articles/20010118/288669.html