PDA

View Full Version : If and when Casserly leaves for that vacant NFL job...

GhostRaider2006
04-05-2006, 06:38 AM
Now let me start off by saying this isn't a bash or praise Casserly thread but one that speculates as to who his successor will be. Now with that done in the last three major free agent signings I have noticed the Houston Chronicle give the main credit of successful contract negotiatons to Dan Ferrens. It happend again in lastnights Chronicle article on Moulds as well:

"With Dan Ferens, Texans vice president of football administration, handling the negotiations, the Texans worked out a deal last week that will pay Moulds $14 million over four years. It includes a $5 million signing bonus."

My question to you all is this the man who will replace Casserly should he decide to leave?

HJam72
04-05-2006, 06:41 AM
I have no idea. :ok:

infantrycak
04-05-2006, 07:31 AM
McClain seems to think Ron Hill will be a front runner.

Rightnow
04-05-2006, 07:33 AM
According to some people on this board a well trained monkey would be better, but Casserly is having his best off season right now. I think he will leave, but now that Capers is out of the picture he seems to be doing better in free agency.

Scooter
04-05-2006, 08:16 AM
would it be out of the question to assume mcnair might take the role much like dan snyder? his goal was to become much more involved in the team as his comfort & knowledge levels increased, and from the way he was talking at the end of last season, he was at that point.

edo783
04-05-2006, 08:47 AM
would it be out of the question to assume mcnair might take the role much like dan snyder? his goal was to become much more involved in the team as his comfort & knowledge levels increased, and from the way he was talking at the end of last season, he was at that point.

While that's a possibility, unlike Snyder, McNair realizes he ISN'T a football guy, so I doubt he would do that. I would like to see McKay from ATL, but he is in the running for the Comish job, so unlikely he comes.

TexanBacker93
04-05-2006, 09:03 AM
According to some people on this board a well trained monkey would be better, but Casserly is having his best off season right now. I think he will leave, but now that Capers is out of the picture he seems to be doing better in free agency.

Casserly has been firm in his statements that the coaching staffs give him a list with the players they want and then he goes out and tries to get them. I think the team will continue with Ferens in his current role. I'd like to see the team bring in an assistant GM from a successful team. I've heard positives about Rick Smith of the Broncos. He's just starting his first year as Assistant GM, but he was the director of pro personnel for many years for them. He's probably got a good relationship with Kubiak as well. Well, I would hope he does at least. Of course, if Scott Pioli could be had from the Patriots he could be a good addition.

Marcus
04-05-2006, 10:45 AM
McClain seems to think Ron Hill will be a front runner.

They were talking about this on NFL Sirius yesterday. Even though Dan Reeves was just a consultant to McNair, and has no interest in the GM job, McNair did, according to them, ask Reeves who he recommended for the next GM. And Reeves gave him one name. Ron Hill.

So, for once, McClain seems to have gotten one right. So, I'll google Ron Hill, and see what I can come up with.:)

Marcus
04-05-2006, 10:50 AM
As a matter of fact, this is an interesting link (http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/The+Way+We+Hear+It/WWHI/2005/wwhi2024.htm).

Casserly’s future in Houston is in serious doubt after owner Bob McNair hired former Broncos, Giants and Falcons head coach Dan Reeves as a consultant last week. Reeves, out of football since the 2003 season, will evaluate both the coaching staff and the scouting department. McNair hired Reeves after consulting other owners and indicated that an endorsement from Broncos owner Pat Bowlen was a deciding factor in hiring Reeves.

There’s speculation Reeves could become the Texans’ second-ever head coach if Dom Capers is fired after the season, though a source close to the club believes his candidacy is a long shot at the moment. While Reeves, 61, said he views himself as a “football coach first” and indicated he would be open to coaching again, he made it clear he was not campaigning for Capers’ job.

If Reeves doesn’t become the Texans’ head coach, there’s a chance he could oversee the team’s football operations and assist in the coaching search. Former Falcons vice president of football operations Ron Hill, who worked with Reeves in Atlanta, is one of the names also thought to be a logical GM candidate if Casserly is let go.

Casserly, who has been with the Texans for six years (four seasons of play), has been criticized for his work on Draft Day and in free agency. Trading second- and third-round draft picks to Oakland for CB Phillip Buchanon in April also proved a mistake. Buchanon was benched early in the season for poor play and later landed on injured reserve. McNair recently panned the trade in an interview with The Houston Chronicle and indicated he would take a more active role in personnel matters in the future.

keyfro
04-05-2006, 12:08 PM
personally i think ferrens is going to stay at his title...i think dan reeves should be considered...i also think there is a chance that bob mcnair himself might look to be more involved in the personal decisions...i've heard of other people who have been mentioned with the job but i do not believe this will be a decision the texans will have to make for awhile...casserly isn't going to be offered the nfl job until a new commisioner has been chosen...so we got awhile