PDA

View Full Version : I'll bet my moniker against your moniker that Bush won't be on the Texan's roster

Hottoddie
04-04-2006, 08:36 PM
I don't believe the Texans are going to draft Bush. I truely believe that they want Young, & I'm willing to make a friendly (non-monetary) bet to prove it.

Here's the deal. The Texans have to have Bush on the roster (active or injured) for the opening regular season game next year. If he is, you can change my moniker (Hottoddie) to what ever you want it to be. If he's not, I get to do the same thing to your's. The change will stay in effect until next year's draft. Also, the name can't be obscene. If there are multiple takers on this wager, there'll be a drawing, of sorts, to choose who gets the honors. Something like, me picking a number between zero & the total number of winning participants.

Now, anyone that believes like I do & wants to join the "Bush won't be on the Texan's roster come opening day team", you are eligible to throw your moniker into the pot as well. When we win, we'll just divide up the spoils & start changing monikers.

I'll make this a public poll, so that we can all see who's on what side. If you vote, you're throwing your moniker into the pool & there's no taking it back.

So, how about it, any takers? :D

sakebomb
04-04-2006, 09:11 PM
I just heard on Fox 26, Berman reported that Texans want a special workout session w/VY Friday, what do you have to 'bout that?!

I say Bush is coming on Thursday to pick his locker and get measured for his uniform. Maybe not the locker/uniform part but he will be here Thursday I believe.

barzilla
04-04-2006, 09:23 PM
I voted for Bush, but it would be interesting to see what would happen if they have an equal grade on the two. Does signability before the draft enter into the equation. Plus, how much stock do we really put into the UT/home angle?

I think two things have happened in the workouts

1) Reggie Bush answered SOME of the strength and durability concerns with his benchpress performance. Like I said, SOME. Additionally, he showed the all-around athletic ability we all know he has.

2) Vince Young was very impressive throwing the ball.

Of course, the problem is that there are still questions.

1) Can Bush be a 20 carry per game back?
2) Can Young make the throws WE want him to make?
3) When will Young be ready to play?

I'm on the record as being for Bush and believing the Texans will take Bush. However, I do think VY will make a very good pro QB. I'll gladly let anyone change my monikor and will root for VY if we take him.

Frank_The_Tank
04-04-2006, 09:49 PM
You guys are crazy! LOL I hope that Reggie does not expect Houston to be L.A. if he does he will be disapointed. We are the concrete city baby, not Hollywood, we have hoods minus the holly if he wants to see them lol. I hope Vince works out awsome that way we can see some gray hair come out in Charley C's Hair. He looks like he sprays black spraypaint on his hair lol. I see that guy and I laugh so hard, his hair is awsome lol.

Frank_The_Tank
04-04-2006, 09:59 PM
I watched the video of him at the USC pro day and I was saying to myself, Is it real? Now was a guy that old, in a stressfull job like his has a head full of solid black hair. LOL

Mailman04
04-04-2006, 10:31 PM
You Texas Longhorn homers amaze me. Vince Young will be a bust, count on it and Houston isn't drafting him.

Mathis13
04-04-2006, 10:40 PM
You Texas Longhorn homers amaze me. Vince Young will be a bust, count on it and Houston isn't drafting him.
Amen!!!

awtysst
04-04-2006, 10:46 PM
I wouldnt bet my monikor, it is how yall know me here on the boards. A nice friendly bet about avatars on the other hand...

TexanBacker93
04-04-2006, 10:51 PM
For real?! Where'd u hear that from, from what source?:confused:

Dude that just ruined my night, that sux.

It's been widely reported that he'll be here to meet with everyone on Thursday, the same as it's been reported that Young will be here on Friday. The Texans need to sit with these guys if they are considering investing the #1 pick on them. I'm pretty sure it's normal for the team with the #1 to have private visits with the top choices.

I don't think either VY or Bush will be busts. Neither pick would be bad, but considering the investment the team just made in Carr and the cost it would take to trade him, I think the pick is Bush.

Tailgate
04-04-2006, 10:52 PM

Texans won't draft Young.... but he won't be a bust either. Its just going to take him 3-4 years to start paying off.

Hottoddie
04-04-2006, 11:24 PM

Then put your moniker where your mouth is.

By the way, I'm not a UT homer. I have not now, nor have I ever, had any affilliation with UT. I just believe that Young better fits what Kubiak is planning on doing with our offense.

Denver has for years, been able to plug just about any RB into their system & watch them flourish. However, they had their greatest success when they had a mobile, passing QB by the name of John Elway ('83-'98). You know who his coach was during most of those years (doesn't include the 2 Superbowl years)? Dan Reeves ('81-'92), & he had a 117-79-1 record during his time there. No one can convince me that Reeves isn't going to have some say in this draft.

infantrycak
04-04-2006, 11:28 PM
No one can convince me that Reeves isn't going to have some say in this draft.

And the 1st conclusion Reeves came to as a consultant was the problems with the team were more coaching than personnel--hence bye bye to the coaching staff, keeping CC and a maximum extension for Carr. Regardless of whether those decisions are correct, those are the tea leaves.

Hottoddie
04-04-2006, 11:38 PM
And the 1st conclusion Reeves came to as a consultant was the problems with the team were more coaching than personnel--hence bye bye to the coaching staff, keeping CC and a maximum extension for Carr. Regardless of whether those decisions are correct, those are the tea leaves.

Tea leaves or not, Carr can be traded. How about the Jets? They could give us their 2nd round pick & considerations for next year, or possibly, the #29 pick in the first round this year. That way, they have their starting QB & can use the #4 pick on a franchise LT (D'Brick) to protect Carr. Seems to me like a good move on their part.

texasguy346
04-05-2006, 12:07 AM
The Jets have Pennington under contract on the cheap, and they made a trade for Patrick Ramsey (a former 1st Rounder). I imagine Ramsey will win the starting job. Why would they trade for Carr when they've got a young strong armed QB in Ramsey?

Mike Kerns
04-05-2006, 05:45 AM
Jesus, are we all the way back to the "Trade Carr" talk again ?:rolleyes:

BigBull17
04-05-2006, 06:26 AM

By the way, I'm not a UT homer. I have not now, nor have I ever, had any affilliation with UT. I just believe that Young better fits what Kubiak is planning on doing with our offense.

Denver has for years, been able to plug just about any RB into their system & watch them flourish. However, they had their greatest success when they had a mobile, passing QB by the name of John Elway ('83-'98). You know who his coach was during most of those years (doesn't include the 2 Superbowl years)? Dan Reeves ('81-'92), & he had a 117-79-1 record during his time there. No one can convince me that Reeves isn't going to have some say in this draft.

Hate to break your heart, but Carr fits more into the Elway mold than VY does. Elway was mobile, but he had an absolute cannon attached to his shoulder. VY has more mobility and a better set of RB skills, but his arm strength leaves a little to be desired. Carr has decent wheels, a few moves, is pretty athletic and has the arm that more resembles Elways arm strength. But thats putting the cart befor the horse, cause neither Carr or VY should be put in the same zip code as one of if not the best QB to ever play the game.:twocents:

HJam72
04-05-2006, 06:44 AM
I'm not betting anything (just wanted to make that clear), but I don't believe for one minute that Young is going to be a Texan. I do still think there could be a last minute Trade Down. Mainly though, I just hope they either take Bush or Trade Down--I don't want to spend the #1 on anything else, like an OT for example. Wouldn't mind having one at all, but not with the #1. That's all. :)

Lucky
04-05-2006, 07:05 AM
I'll take your bet, Hottoddie. You've needed a new handle, anyway. Don't worry, I'll be kind. I'm leaning to "I ♥ Reggie".

Texan Asylum
04-05-2006, 07:44 AM
I don't believe the Texans are going to draft Bush. I truely believe that they want Young, & I'm willing to make a friendly (non-monetary) bet to prove it.

Here's the deal. The Texans have to have Bush on the roster (active or injured) for the opening regular season game next year. If he is, you can change my moniker (Hottoddie) to what ever you want it to be. If he's not, I get to do the same thing to your's. The change will stay in effect until next year's draft. Also, the name can't be obscene. If there are multiple takers on this wager, there'll be a drawing, of sorts, to choose who gets the honors. Something like, me picking a number between zero & the total number of winning participants.

Now, anyone that believes like I do & wants to join the "Bush won't be on the Texan's roster come opening day team", you are eligible to throw your moniker into the pot as well. When we win, we'll just divide up the spoils & start changing monikers.

I'll make this a public poll, so that we can all see who's on what side. If you vote, you're throwing your moniker into the pool & there's no taking it back.

To quote a sig on this MB..."I'll be your Huckleberry". Call me crazy...Crazy?...I was crazy once, they locked me in a room...a padded room, man it was crazy. Crazy?...I was crazy once, they locked me in a room...a padded room, man it was crazy. Crazy?...I was crazy once.......

The bets ON. You better get ready for the "THE ULTIMATE MONIKER"!

EDITED...I can't BELIEVE I made that gaff!!!!!!

powerfuldragon
04-05-2006, 07:45 AM
To quote a sig on this MB..."I'll be your Huckleberry". Not only will Bush be on the roster, I'll bet he's a major impact in the first opening game win in Texans history! Call me crazy.!

You're crazy. We've already had the best opening game win in the history of football.

The Dude Abides
04-05-2006, 07:47 AM
For real?! Where'd u hear that from, from what source?:confused:

Dude that just ruined my night, that sux.

There's even a thread on the subject. That i started. :spy:

HJam72
04-05-2006, 07:50 AM
Actually we've already won 2 opening games, if you count Miami (road game--I think it was).

texplayer2
04-05-2006, 07:51 AM
I'll bet he's a major impact in the first opening game win in Texans history!

It would be real hard to beat that Cowboy game.:yahoo:

Texan Asylum
04-05-2006, 07:56 AM
See above correction. I knew I was mentally deficient, but man.......
I would hope from previous posts, you guys would know that I know better than that.

Texan Asylum
04-05-2006, 07:58 AM
Uhhhh, can I change my moniker NOW?

texman8
04-05-2006, 08:18 AM

Reeves is not with Texans anymore....He won't have any say in draft.

infantrycak
04-05-2006, 08:46 AM
Reeves is not with Texans anymore....He won't have any say in draft.

Try telling that to Hottoddie--he was the one saying Reeves was going to spin the draft into a VY selection.

My point was looking at Reeves' involvement with the team, there is reason to believe he thinks Carr can be the guy. JMO but even if Reeves' official relationship with the team has ended, there is no doubt he'll answer the call if McNair gives him a call to get advice about the draft and it would be more suprising if such a call weren't made than if it was.

Blake
04-05-2006, 08:48 AM

I accept your bet on one condition. It seems that we have to pick a single player aka Reggie, and you get any other senario.

If you pick a player that the Texans take, and is on the roster opening day, then I will accept. If neither player is picked, then the bet is a wash.

Tale Gator
04-05-2006, 08:53 AM
I'm guessing Hottoddie wanted to get rid of that moniker anyways. ;)

Mailman04
04-05-2006, 10:04 AM
You are on,, I will take your bet. Texans will draft Bush.

whiskeyrbl
04-05-2006, 11:10 AM
I'm in, with both guys comung in this week I think Bush is coming to start contract negotiations, and VY is coming in to show his abilities,but only as a courtesy to a hometown favorite. Bush has already said he has been pricing houses here in Houston. Maybe I can find out more as my nephew works for a home builder who alot of "Texans" have purchased from in Sugarland. If he looks with them I will know and post it. So my moniker is on the line . GL:redtowel:

jacquescas
04-05-2006, 11:28 AM
Ill bet my moniker and avatar Vince young will not be a Texan

swtbound07
04-05-2006, 11:31 AM
Ill bet my moniker and avatar Vince young will not be a Texan

Your on. Pay me. He might not make our football team, but he is a TEXAN! semantics suck dont they?

Hottoddie
04-05-2006, 01:14 PM
He he, just look at the suckers lining up. There's going to be a lot of new names around here next month. :D

By the way, for the one that thinks I'm getting to choose from all the other players, the bet is that Bush will not be on the Texan's team next year, not on which player they will pick.

Hottoddie
04-05-2006, 01:20 PM
Also, remember, if you voted & your team loses, you're moniker will be changed. HJam72, you voted in the poll, which means you could have your moniker changed. If you don't want to take the chance, then you might want to see if a moderator can remove your vote. I think that I stated the rules clearly.

Tejaspro
04-05-2006, 01:34 PM

I understand that you "believe Young better fits that Kubiak is planning on doing with our offense". Just a thought.... you would think that if Kubiak thought Young better fit his plans.... he would draft Young. After all, it's his neck if he isn't successful.

Denver's greatest success came with a "mobile, passing QB by the name of John Elway." I don't know if you realize that David Carr is more in the mold of John Elway than Vince Young. John Elway was a pass first, run if you must QB. VY is more of a run first, pass if you must QB, ala.. Cunningham.

I agree.... Reeves is going to have something to say about who they draft.... you hide and watch.... it will be Reggie Bush, not Vince Young.

infantrycak
04-05-2006, 01:43 PM
Denver's greatest success came with a "mobile, passing QB by the name of John Elway." I don't know if you realize that David Carr is more in the mold of John Elway than Vince Young.

Carr has not demonstrated anything close to Elway's rush awareness yet, but in terms of mobility they are more alike than Young and Elway. In 16 seasons, Elway never had a rushing total in excess of Carr's season high of 308, never exceeded Carr's yards per rush of 5.5 last year and had a career 4.4 ypc in comparison to Carr's 4.8. Kubiak hopefully has Carr reviewing tape of Elway on when to run, but the Denver system certainly doesn't call for someone with more mobility than Carr.

KSig44
04-05-2006, 01:45 PM
Elway never had an OLine as swiss cheese as Carr either.

el toro
04-05-2006, 01:46 PM
If Young wasn't from Houston and didn't play at UT this board would be screaming that the guy was overrated.

KSig44
04-05-2006, 01:50 PM
Amen El Toro, Amen.:bowdown:

infantrycak
04-05-2006, 01:55 PM
If Young wasn't from Houston and didn't play at UT this board would be screaming that the guy was overrated.

IMO that is wrong. VY is a legitimate consideration for the top pick. He is harder to analyze because he really isn't like prior QB's, but there is potential there in the right circumstances to be a fantastic QB. Liking one prospect doesn't necessitate running down any competitors.

KSig44
04-05-2006, 01:57 PM
Show me a mock draft from the last two weeks that has him as either the first player taken or as the first QB. Then and only then will I believe he is worthy of the #1 pick.

el toro
04-05-2006, 01:58 PM
IMO that is wrong. VY is a legitimate consideration for the top pick. He is harder to analyze because he really isn't like prior QB's, but there is potential there in the right circumstances to be a fantastic QB. Liking one prospect doesn't necessitate running down any competitors.

But he has project written all over him. His game is not ready for the league, and that's moreso than just the normal QB learning curve.

Mr. White
04-05-2006, 02:00 PM

Agreed. Now it's just a matter of time before somebody says that Leinart is a better QB than VY.....any second now.

***edit***
looks like they already did.

:deadhorse

infantrycak
04-05-2006, 02:01 PM
Show me a mock draft from the last two weeks that has him as either the first player taken or as the first QB. Then and only then will I believe he is worthy of the #1 pick.

Mock drafts are primarily need driven (despite NFL GM's talking repeatedly about BPA). Most folks see the resigning of Carr as an intent not to take a QB so you don't see Leinart or Young at #1 now do you?

Is there a homer element in the debate?--absolutely IMO because if there wasn't we would have a debate over drafting Leinart, Cutler or Young as is taking place in cities where QB's are actually being considered such as NO before getting Brees, TN or NY. For the record, if I were in charge and were going to draft any of the QB's this year I would have waived goodbye to Carr, brought in Kitna or Griese on a 2 year starter deal and drafted VY, but I would be worried about it working out and if he was the best of the 3 to take.

Mike Kerns
04-05-2006, 02:06 PM
VY is a legitimate consideration for the top pick
Do you REALLY believe that ? Go to the Titans board & read some of their replies about how they are scared that Fisher & Chow will draft Young. He isn't even the best in the draft at his position. Why can none of you :homer:'s see this ? & before you call me an aggie, I am quite the UT fan.:ok:

infantrycak
04-05-2006, 02:17 PM
Do you REALLY believe that ? Go to the Titans board & read some of their replies about how they are scared that Fisher & Chow will draft Young. He isn't even the best in the draft at his position. Why can none of you :homer:'s see this ? & before you call me an aggie, I am quite the UT fan.:ok:

First, you are misrepresenting the debate at the Titans MB because there are plenty of fans over there who like the idea of VY--it is by no means unanimous for him which was my point, but it isn't unanimously against him either as you try to depict. In other words there is a legitimate debate going on. Second, before you quote me as a VY homer you might want to read around the MB a little more.

KSig44
04-05-2006, 02:31 PM
Some mock drafts are done by people in the know, or at least more so than ony one of us. I think they are a good tool to use.

Second, the homerism is no way to draft. I know Carr is not Elway or Marino, but if there was a highly ranked QB from their general area (Denver or Miami) that came out when they were in their mid to late 20's, do you think those teams would draft them based on homerism? Like I said, Carr is far from those two HOF QB's at this point, but the new coaching staff sees potential in him and think they can steer him right. I say let them do it and draft a player that will help the development.

Tejaspro
04-05-2006, 04:09 PM
Mock drafts are primarily need driven (despite NFL GM's talking repeatedly about BPA). Most folks see the resigning of Carr as an intent not to take a QB so you don't see Leinart or Young at #1 now do you?

I don't necessarily disagree with your take, but... why wouldn't the resigning of Dominic Davis dissuade the mock drafters from drafting a RB @ #1? I mean, following the same logic? :confused:

infantrycak
04-05-2006, 04:16 PM
I don't necessarily disagree with your take, but... why wouldn't the resigning of Dominic Davis dissuade the mock drafters from drafting a RB @ #1? I mean, following the same logic? :confused:

(a) Because his resigning was long before they realized they had the #1 pick, (b) Carr's was after the Texans earned the #1 pick , (c) DD can actually be cut for much less money until his next roster bonus is due if they wanted to, (d) most importantly most people view DD as a solid RB who if anything has been overused leading to injuries (e) who might benefit from splitting time with a superstar in RB while (f) adding a QB is going to be a waste of one of the QB's and most commentators off this MB feel Carr has more to show than he had an opportunity to do so at this point.

It's facially similar, but it is only a surface level comparison that looks that way.

texplayer2
04-05-2006, 04:20 PM

You can only play one QB at a time. You can have two or three RB's if you want.

Blake
04-05-2006, 04:23 PM

First off, its Domanick Davis. And the reason that logic doesnt show up on mocks is because Bush is the unanimous #1 overall football player. People have doubts about Vince Young. So what makes more sense to you? The Texans take Reggie Bush, who is the unanimous #1 player, and have a 2nd RB who makes a couple of mill a year, or to take Young, who has question marks around him, and have a 2nd QB who makes 8 million a year?

Revolution
04-05-2006, 04:28 PM
I haven't voted yet, so I am not in just yet. My question is who gets to choose your name? If 400 people beat you, then who gets to choose your name? I am not going to join unless I know I get to choose the new moniker.

Maddict5
04-05-2006, 07:13 PM
I wouldnt bet my monikor, it is how yall know me here on the boards. A nice friendly bet about avatars on the other hand...

yeah 'awtysst' is the hottest, most requested user-name on this MB..i wouldnt want to lose it either:redtowel:

Tejaspro
04-05-2006, 07:50 PM
First off, its Domanick Davis. And the reason that logic doesnt show up on mocks is because Bush is the unanimous #1 overall football player. People have doubts about Vince Young. So what makes more sense to you? The Texans take Reggie Bush, who is the unanimous #1 player, and have a 2nd RB who makes a couple of mill a year, or to take Young, who has question marks around him, and have a 2nd QB who makes 8 million a year?

I'll buy that. :ok:

Double Barrel
04-05-2006, 08:35 PM
I voted, but before I read the terms and conditions of voting. I'll never give my avatar choice to another. :ok: JUST TO MAKE THINGS CLEAR

TexansLucky13
04-05-2006, 08:49 PM
The numbers speak for itself....only 9 of 88 voters feel that Vince Young will be on the rosters next year. Yes, mock drafts are need driven. But the top pick is a "i want you" pick, not an "i need you". It's just an added bonus if the top rated Draftee is one of your big needs. But in this case, we need neither a QB or a RB. So if we reduce the "needs" down to the "wants", we see where Reggie fits in. Carr has taken a big extension and unless you "want" a lot of wasted cap space then you would vote for Reggie. On the same token, unless you havent noticed, DD is very fatigued by the end of the game. Reggie would give us more time with DD. So if you are a hard-core DD fan, dont look at it as a replacement. I haven't. Everyone has their own opinions and preferences, though. But after weeks of continuous posting about the RB/VY topic, I have deduced that the VY side of the arguement stems from only a few things.

Most people who are for Vince are either:

1) Big UT fans/alumni

2) Anti-Carr activists

3) Mike Vick enthusiasts

Everyone else is either for trade down or Reggie Bush.

Hottoddie
04-05-2006, 09:31 PM
you hide and watch.... it will be Reggie Bush, not Vince Young.

I have no plans to hide. I stepped up to the plate & put my moniker where my mouth is. I stand by what I said. Bush will not be on our roster next year.

Hottoddie
04-05-2006, 09:41 PM
I haven't voted yet, so I am not in just yet. My question is who gets to choose your name? If 400 people beat you, then who gets to choose your name? I am not going to join unless I know I get to choose the new moniker.

If there are multiple takers on this wager, there'll be a drawing, of sorts, to choose who gets the honors. Something like, me picking a number between zero & the total number of winning participants.

It's in the original thread. Everyone gets an equal shot, but only one gets to choose the name. However, there are 9 other posters in the "Bush won't be on the Texans next year" side of the bet. That means there'll be 9 shots at changing someone's moniker. I guess this post is a moot point though, because Bush won't be a Texan next year!!! :D

threetoedpete
04-05-2006, 10:02 PM
I say Bush is coming on Thursday to pick his locker and get measured for his uniform. Maybe not the locker/uniform part but he will be here Thursday I believe.
Agreed, was that drool slipping cubes lips on the little film at the front door? The D may be supect, but with molds in the fold, this team will score some points. Wish it was brick. What's your new name again ? :drool:

TexansLucky13
04-05-2006, 10:09 PM
It's in the original thread. Everyone gets an equal shot, but only one gets to choose the name. However, there are 9 other posters in the "Bush won't be on the Texans next year" side of the bet. That means there'll be 9 shots at changing someone's moniker. I guess this post is a moot point though, because Bush won't be a Texan next year!!! :D

How come your sig mentions D'Brick, yet you are so fond of Vince Young? Unless God intervenes, we will only get one of them. (personally, I think God would have to intervene a lot for Vince to be drafted, but whatever).

Porky
04-05-2006, 10:09 PM
Any chance this money where your mouth is deal could be real cash. Cause if so, count me in. This is just silly. I almost feel sorry for the poor sap. :ok:

Hottoddie
04-06-2006, 12:47 AM
How come your sig mentions D'Brick, yet you are so fond of Vince Young? Unless God intervenes, we will only get one of them. (personally, I think God would have to intervene a lot for Vince to be drafted, but whatever).

Because I want the Texans to take D'Brick, but I'm really beginning to believe that they'll take Young. I'm not fond of VY, but I am intrigued by the possibilities he presents.

If the Texans were as sold on Bush as the media & over 90% of this board is, then why would they be bringing Young in at all? It's not fair to him & I don't buy the theory that some on this board subscribe to, & that's that they are just trying to pacify the UT fans. I call that theory a bunch of bull.

I'll admit that Bush put up some impressive numbers on his Pro Day. However, I believe that the Texans had already decided on Young & were hoping that Bush would flop, but he didn't. As a result, the Texans have to think long & hard about their decision. A co-worker of mine suggested that Young didn't run as fast as he can during his Pro Day intentionally. I don't know this to be true, but if it is, & he comes in here Friday & runs in the 4.40-4.49 range, that might be all it takes to sway the team.

I want D'Brick & more picks, but I'll be happy with Young, & even Bush, if that's who the team decides to pick.

swtbound07
04-06-2006, 12:50 AM
I think a lot of people will be in for a shock on the 29th...one way or another. The legion of reggie fans could be stunned! What the hey....swtbound07 reeks of factual inaccuracy anyway. Its long overdue for a new moniker

Hottoddie
04-06-2006, 12:54 AM
I think a lot of people will be in for a shock on the 29th...one way or another. The legion of reggie fans could be stunned! What the hey....swtbound07 reeks of factual inaccuracy anyway. Its long overdue for a new moniker

I wouldn't be worrying about your moniker, what we really need to start thinking about, is what names we can come up with for the 84+ (so far) posters that have hitched their wagons to the wrong horse. :yahoo:

texasguy346
04-06-2006, 01:43 AM
I wouldn't be worrying about your moniker, what we really need to start thinking about, is what names we can come up with for the 84+ (so far) posters that have hitched their wagons to the wrong horse. :yahoo:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems as though you'll only be able to change as many monikers as the number of peole saying that Bush won't be a Texan. As it stand now it appears 9 have voted "No" so in essence only 9 from the "Yes" group can go head to head for naming rights.

That's how I understand it at least since, if RB were to be drafted on April 29th, all 84 who voted "Yes" wouldn't have enough names to change.

Hervoyel
04-06-2006, 09:23 AM
I'm not going to vote in your poll but that's just because I like changing my avatar all the time and I don't want to get stuck with just one (even if it's one I like) for too long.

I will say this though. I think you're wrong. I don't think there's any chance that Vince Young is coming to Houston to play. Every day I see little signs that this is true. An example would be Eric Moulds quote in the Chronicle today.

"It's tough because it limits your abilities," Moulds said. "But I have great memories. It was just frustrating playing with so many different quarterbacks. You just had to keep adjusting. It's not like that here. David Carr is the quarterback, and he's going to be here the whole time. I just have to adjust to him."

Now who do you think told him that David Carr was going to be the QB "the whole time" and that David Carr would be the only guy he would have to adjust to? I'm betting Gary Kubiak told him that because Moulds will probably play here 2-3 years and we've extended Carr for 3 years and that's the end of that.

Maybe the team doesn't pick Reggie Bush and they trade down or something but I'm as certain as I could possibly be that whatever happens it won't be Vince Young.

Texansfan30
04-06-2006, 09:55 AM
As someone who believes we should take Reggie, I have a question for Vince fans.

Do you honestly believe VY will be running around in the NFL in 4 years the way he did against USC? Do you think his arm strength is good enough to make it as a pocket passer?

I am a UT alum who loved what VY did in the Rose Bowl. He is probably one of the top 2 or 3 college QB of all time, if not the best. He has the heart of a true champion, and the thing that impresses me the most about him is his demeanor - how calm he was during that 4th quarter, even being down by more than 1 score.

But even more than a UT fan, I am a TEXANS fan. I want what is best for us long term, and that is Reggie Bush. I honestly believe that while QBs last longer in the NFL than RBs, VY will not be the same guy in 4 years. The team that drafts him will have him running a lot less. Remember Michael Vick? How explosive he was? Years later, he is not the player he once was, even if he is still good. How many injuries has he sustained now? No one is going to want to invest $50 million in VY to have him take one too many hits from an AJ Hawk or Jonathan Vilma, and spend 8-10 weeks in a leg cast. He will have to change his game somewhat to reflect the realities of NFL life.

It's easy to remember VY's incredible USC game. It's also easy for me to recall that he ran up a lot of yards on Kansas, Baylor, and Okla State. Remember Texas A&M? They gameplanned him well. Remember Ohio State? After that first drive, they bottled up VY's running ability. EVERY NFL TEAM will gameplan him.

Now as to Reggie: He is quite simply the MOST explosive player I have seen in years. He may be a bust - that is a risk you run with every player. But the upside is incredible with him. He is only 20 right now - in 8 years he will still be a damn good player, only 28 years of age. Plus, having played with LenDale White and on a great USC team, he is not overused. Remember Cedric Benson? They ran the crap out of him for years. Reggie split time, not because he was hurt - but because they had a lot of talented guys on his team. He's not beaten down. His performance on the pro day only reinforces my belief he is the right man for the Texans.

And finally, the reason I am so high on him for us is this: It's not because Reggie will run (or catch) for 2500 yards each year. It's that when teams gameplan for him, they will inevitably open up Andre, or Moulds, or DD, or any of the other weapons we will have. That is the true nature of football - it's FINDING MATCHUPS. And Reggie will give Kubiak the chance to make other teams pick their poison. Imagine them stacking the line, and Carr audibles Bush into the slot. Or he lines up in the slot, and then retreats to the backfield. Him simply going in motion will draw 2 guys onto that side of the field.

The opportunities for matchups are endless. The real question is who they should take with their 2nd pick. Here's hoping Marcus McNeill falls to us......

Texan Asylum
04-06-2006, 10:38 AM
As someone who believes we should take Reggie, I have a question for Vince fans.

Do you honestly believe VY will be running around in the NFL in 4 years the way he did against USC? Do you think his arm strength is good enough to make it as a pocket passer?

I am a UT alum who loved what VY did in the Rose Bowl. He is probably one of the top 2 or 3 college QB of all time, if not the best. He has the heart of a true champion, and the thing that impresses me the most about him is his demeanor - how calm he was during that 4th quarter, even being down by more than 1 score.

But even more than a UT fan, I am a TEXANS fan. I want what is best for us long term, and that is Reggie Bush. I honestly believe that while QBs last longer in the NFL than RBs, VY will not be the same guy in 4 years. The team that drafts him will have him running a lot less. Remember Michael Vick? How explosive he was? Years later, he is not the player he once was, even if he is still good. How many injuries has he sustained now? No one is going to want to invest $50 million in VY to have him take one too many hits from an AJ Hawk or Jonathan Vilma, and spend 8-10 weeks in a leg cast. He will have to change his game somewhat to reflect the realities of NFL life.

It's easy to remember VY's incredible USC game. It's also easy for me to recall that he ran up a lot of yards on Kansas, Baylor, and Okla State. Remember Texas A&M? They gameplanned him well. Remember Ohio State? After that first drive, they bottled up VY's running ability. EVERY NFL TEAM will gameplan him.

Now as to Reggie: He is quite simply the MOST explosive player I have seen in years. He may be a bust - that is a risk you run with every player. But the upside is incredible with him. He is only 20 right now - in 8 years he will still be a damn good player, only 28 years of age. Plus, having played with LenDale White and on a great USC team, he is not overused. Remember Cedric Benson? They ran the crap out of him for years. Reggie split time, not because he was hurt - but because they had a lot of talented guys on his team. He's not beaten down. His performance on the pro day only reinforces my belief he is the right man for the Texans.

And finally, the reason I am so high on him for us is this: It's not because Reggie will run (or catch) for 2500 yards each year. It's that when teams gameplan for him, they will inevitably open up Andre, or Moulds, or DD, or any of the other weapons we will have. That is the true nature of football - it's FINDING MATCHUPS. And Reggie will give Kubiak the chance to make other teams pick their poison. Imagine them stacking the line, and Carr audibles Bush into the slot. Or he lines up in the slot, and then retreats to the backfield. Him simply going in motion will draw 2 guys onto that side of the field.

The opportunities for matchups are endless. The real question is who they should take with their 2nd pick. Here's hoping Marcus McNeill falls to us......
I like the way you talk, ummm huh.

Mike Kerns
04-06-2006, 10:57 AM
Still hoping for Eric Winston, but I will take McNeil.

Hottoddie
04-07-2006, 12:59 PM
You know, the Bush camp doesn't seem to me, to be as happy as one would expect for an upcoming #1 overall pick. Could it be that they know Houston might draft Young? :stirpot:

Mike Kerns
04-07-2006, 01:01 PM
You know, the Bush camp doesn't seem to me, to be as happy as one would expect for an upcoming #1 overall pick. Could it be that they know Houston might draft Young? :stirpot:

Not really, I still think they may trade down. If I knew it was done with a contract in hand, I would be going crazy. Not scared of the Vince possibility anymore. I really was right there after the Rose Bowl, but everyone (almost everyone) has come to their senses.

Hottoddie
04-07-2006, 01:12 PM
Not really, I still think they may trade down. If I knew it was done with a contract in hand, I would be going crazy. Not scared of the Vince possibility anymore. I really was right there after the Rose Bowl, but everyone (almost everyone) has come to their senses.

Guess I fit in with the "almost everyone" crowd, because I still don't buy into the Bush craze. He's definitely got potential, but until he proves he can run up the middle, he'll remain a question mark for me.

By the way, has anyone pointed out that Bush was 5lbs. lighter for his Pro Day than he was for the combine? Hmmmm.......... :stirpot:

Mike Kerns
04-07-2006, 01:13 PM
Guess I fit in with the "almost everyone" crowd, because I still don't buy into the Bush craze. He's definitely got potential, but until he proves he can run up the middle, he'll remain a question mark for me.

As will Young for me until he proves he can throw first & run 2nd. With a better delivery too.

infantrycak
04-07-2006, 01:30 PM
By the way, has anyone pointed out that Bush was 5lbs. lighter for his Pro Day than he was for the combine? Hmmmm.......... :stirpot:

Why point out something that wasn't true?

Bush was 201 lbs at the combine. McClain confused things by saying he expected him to be about 207 lbs or so. The official weight was 201 lbs though so if it isn't just scale difference he actually gained a lb.

MorKnolle
04-08-2006, 01:46 AM
Why point out something that wasn't true?

Bush was 201 lbs at the combine. McClain confused things by saying he expected him to be about 207 lbs or so. The official weight was 201 lbs though so if it isn't just scale difference he actually gained a lb.

Quite right, I'm not sure where all these expectations of him weighing 208 lbs. came from, maybe McClain botched that up somewhere along the way, that wouldn't surprise me at all.

Hottoddie
04-13-2006, 01:07 PM
Just wanted to remind all those that voted yes, to enjoy your monikers for the next 2 weeks, because after that........ :D

Porky
04-13-2006, 01:28 PM
Just wanted to remind all those that voted yes, to enjoy your monikers for the next 2 weeks, because after that........ :D

Dude you are whacked. Bush will be a Texan come April 29th. Good luck with this little deal, and make sure to take the meds, maybe they will make you lucid again someday. :redtowel:

hollywood_texan
04-13-2006, 01:46 PM

Actually, I do take it back. I voted in the poll before I read the statement.

Sorry, but there was no clear indication of that deal when I voted because this is a long thread.

kastofsna
04-13-2006, 02:08 PM
i'll bet all 6 of my monikers bush will be a texan.

kcwilson
04-13-2006, 06:52 PM
Hottodie ought to find a way of voting twice on the poll so he has a chance to rename himself.

For the record, I would be happy with VY or RB, but since I have my choice, I'd take Reggie.

Hottoddie
04-13-2006, 07:22 PM
Actually, I do take it back. I voted in the poll before I read the statement.

Sorry, but there was no clear indication of that deal when I voted because this is a long thread.

What's the length of the thread got to do with it? All you had to do was read the first post.

hollywood_texan
04-13-2006, 09:02 PM
What's the length of the thread got to do with it? All you had to do was read the first post.

Here is what happened. I looked at the last posting first.

Then went to the first page and saw the survey. Voted on the survey.

Your survey title doesn't say I am betting my moniker if I participate in the survey. Your thread title says you will bet your moniker.

Here is my defense, before you agree to any terms on the Internet, you are required to check a box to ensure that you have read the terms and agreement.

If I had know and if it was posted clearly what the survey meant, I wouldn't have participated.

I think you are right, Bush will not be drafted due to high a demand for a high contract. However, I am not a betting man.

I am out on the bet.

Good luck.

Mike Kerns
04-13-2006, 09:40 PM
think you are right, Bush will not be drafted due to high a demand for a high contract.
I am actually believing that is what will come to pass. Would like to keep my moniker, but a bet is a bet.

Hottoddie
04-14-2006, 01:08 AM
Your survey title doesn't say I am betting my moniker if I participate in the survey. Your thread title says you will bet your moniker.

Whatever. :rolleyes:

However, I will point out one mistake in your excuse, the title says "I'll bet my moniker against your moniker that Bush won't be on the Texan's roster."

hollywood_texan
04-14-2006, 11:08 AM
Whatever. :rolleyes:

However, I will point out one mistake in your excuse, the title says "I'll bet my moniker against your moniker that Bush won't be on the Texan's roster."

I agree with your position. So how can be against each other if we are on the same side?

There is another point of the thread title, it isn't on point regarding the survey being a binding bet for anyone's moniker, it basically just asks for someone's opinion. Which I gave by the way.

My moniker is out of the hat and sorry for the confusion.

Hottoddie
04-17-2006, 08:59 PM
Mods, this is from NFL.com, so I'm hoping this doesn't violate any copy right laws, by me copying & pasting it here. Unless I'm mistaken, the Texan's site is owned by NFL.com.

Oooooooh, am I starting to get a good feeling about this bet, & that's a fact jack! Read it & weep, Bush fans. :D :stirpot: :D

http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/9381854

Draftees are up, down and all around

By Adam Schefter
Special to NFL.com

(April 17, 2006) -- For the first time, there is legitimate reason to think that USC running back Reggie Bush is not going to be wind up in Houston, the city that currently holds the No. 1 overall pick.

Reggie Bush could still go to Houston, or another team, at No. 1
This does not come from one source or from one team. This comes from multiple sources, from across the league, without any agenda to push.

The mounting evidence includes this:

As of Monday, the Texans had not had any contract discussions with Bush and his representatives. None.

Yet the Texans have approached North Carolina State defensive end Mario Williams, trying to see if he would be receptive to discussing a deal.

But the evidence goes beyond contracts. When Bush was in Houston, a certain segment of the organization never introduced itself to the running back. This might not be unusual, but if the organization was convinced it was taking a certain player, it should be rolling out the welcome mat with everyone trying to make the player feel as at home as possible. This, according to those who know Bush, did not happen.

Then there is the simple and significant matter of need. Within the past year, the Texans signed running back Domanick Davis to a long-term extension. They also drafted wide receiver Jerome Mathis, the return man who went to the Pro Bowl during his rookie season. The Texans know they have a dependable running back and return man, the two spots Bush fills.

Houston's greater need is at defensive end, and, just as much, at left tackle, a position that could be filled by Virginia's D'Brickashaw Ferguson, who is expected to go in the top four picks.

Yet whether Houston winds up with Williams or Ferguson is unknown. What is known is that Bush no longer is a lock for Houston.

As a person in the Bush camp said Monday, "Do I have a feeling that Reggie is going to Houston? No, I have a feeling that he's not."

Mike Kerns
04-17-2006, 10:55 PM
There is already an entire thread about this

texasguy346
04-18-2006, 12:15 AM
An important thing to keep in mind with all this draft guesstimation is that when Miami took Ronnie Brown in the first round last year they never even had him come in for a visit. They were satisified with him after interviewing him at his pro day. They did, however, bring in Cedric Benson for a visit. Basically don't go getting an itchy trigger finger either way.

JAXwithanX
04-18-2006, 12:22 AM

Yeah....i really believe we are trading down. And whats funny is i had wanted to draft Bush or Young the whole time and kept thinking about how dumb it would be to trade down nd especially after the Brees signing by N.O. But the more i've thought about it (not even taking into consideration the 'reports' of who we have and haven't been talking to) i think it makes the most sense to trade down if the right package comes along. And just because N.O. seems to be the team most likely to trade down, in a way that can also help us. See any team really in love with Leinart, Bush, or hell even Young could be really worried about someone snagging that Number 2 and getting their player. So in a crazy admittedly abstract way....it makes our Number 1 pick potentially even more valuable....i wouldn't at all be surprised to see something like the R. Williams - Ditka trade....except us not moving down as far. Well i see that as likely as i see us drafting Bush (who i had figured was our man since day 1 including after the Rose Bowl). Now i go to UT and i'm going to admit i think VY is going to be a great QB and like i've said a lot too, i believe we have more room for improvement in the QB department than the RB department....but i'm a rational fan and realize that unless we draft Young in a trade down at 6 or something like that....he ain't coming here. This organization can't afford a bust at the number 1 pick right now, and with an all new FO....you can bet they aren't jumping at the idea of such a risky pick. What it can afford though is to pick up as many 1, 2, and 3 round picks as it can and possibly become way better overall than the upgrade (which yes it is an upgrade although how much is argueable) at just RB or QB.

Hottoddie
04-18-2006, 12:59 AM
There is already an entire thread about this

Yes, but I'm sure you see how relevant this is to this thread. :stirpot: :D

Now, let's see, what would be a good substitution for "Frak The Jags"? :D

kastofsna
04-18-2006, 01:32 PM
should i just remind everyone how ridiculous adam schefter is? the only inside ino he has is what you and i read and hear. he sees that the texans are talking to mario williams and, in his OPINION, he thinks this is a sign that bush will not go #1. he did the same thing last year with the dolphins and braylon edwards...he's clueless.

Mike Kerns
04-18-2006, 03:29 PM
Yes, but I'm sure you see how relevant this is to this thread. :stirpot: :D

Now, let's see, what would be a good substitution for "Frak The Jags"? :D
I'm a good sport. Like I said, A bet is a bet. If this comes to pass, I will live up to my end of it.

Tale Gator
04-18-2006, 04:31 PM
I'm a good sport. Like I said, A bet is a bet. If this comes to pass, I will live up to my end of it.

Will Reggie Bush be on the opening roster next year?

Should have made your poll question clear -- many people probably didn't realize that just voting in a poll could equal a legit bet.

Haams
04-18-2006, 04:44 PM
Whoa, hold up. I didn't know anything about a bet. Y'all know I'm pulling for Vince - my eternal pessimism just drove me to vote for Bush. Trying to prepare myself now for another draft day dissapointment.

El Amigo Invisible
04-18-2006, 04:46 PM
You think we could take Pope in the second? OR does someone else have their eye on him?

hollywood_texan
04-18-2006, 05:12 PM
Whoa, hold up. I didn't know anything about a bet. Y'all know I'm pulling for Vince - my eternal pessimism just drove me to vote for Bush. Trying to prepare myself now for another draft day dissapointment.

I brought this up a last week. You can see what I posted at the top of the page.

Here is what happened. I looked at the last posting first.

Then went to the first page and saw the survey. Voted on the survey.

Here is my defense, before you agree to any terms on the Internet, you are required to check a box to ensure that you have read the terms and agreement.

If I had know and if it was posted clearly what the survey meant, I wouldn't have participated.

I think you are right, Bush will not be drafted due to high a demand for a high contract. However, I am not a betting man.

I am out on the bet.

Good luck.

hanshintigers74
04-18-2006, 06:38 PM
bush will be part of the opeaning day game.so houston's fan will come see him play and then sit him down.money is all about football.

MorKnolle
04-18-2006, 09:55 PM
You think we could take Pope in the second? OR does someone else have their eye on him?

No. I think he'll go in the end of the 1st but even if he's available I don't see us taking a TE at #33 after bringing in Putzier. If he somehow fell to #65 then I could see that, but not at #33.

El Amigo Invisible
04-18-2006, 10:48 PM
No. I think he'll go in the end of the 1st but even if he's available I don't see us taking a TE at #33 after bringing in Putzier. If he somehow fell to #65 then I could see that, but not at #33.
I keep hearing people talk about V.Davis and that possiblity. I heard he needs to work on his pass blocking but so does Putzier.Our quarterback next next will probably be on his back alot,again.:brickwall :brickwall

bad
04-23-2006, 01:42 PM
Hottodie ought to find a way of voting twice on the poll so he has a chance to rename himself. He'll be fine.

I'm sure everyone appreciates the boldness of calling out the entire board and putting his warm, soothing refreshment of a moniker on the line to back up his words.

I think he'll lose the bet and I think he'll be given a new moniker that befits his courageous stand.

Something with flair.

Ladies and gentlemen, please welcome our newest board member:

Huevos Grandes

-------------------------

Something to consider. He may win and chaos may reign as dozens of names are changed (have fun mods), egos are bruised and I laugh my non-voting butt off.

Texans86
04-23-2006, 02:24 PM
Is it possible that upon further review, I revoke my vote, or am I done for? Three weeks was too soon to vote, and I could be kicking myself next week.

bad
04-23-2006, 04:35 PM
Is it possible that upon further review, I revoke my vote, or am I done for? Three weeks was too soon to vote, and I could be kicking myself next week. That's what I'm saying.

:drool:

Hottoddie
04-23-2006, 04:48 PM
Huevos Grandes

-------------------------

Something to consider. He may win and chaos may reign as dozens of names are changed (have fun mods), egos are bruised and I laugh my non-voting butt off.

First off, I'm not going to lose.

Secondly, they're really big, if I must say so myself. :D

Thirdly, chaos will rule the day as Reggie Bush straps on his helmet in his first game as a N.Y. Jet. :stirpot:

By the way, you can't influence the masses, if you don't throw your moniker into the pot. :)

Hottoddie
04-23-2006, 04:51 PM
Too cool. Three mods have thrown their monikers into the pot. This is going to be so much fun.:yahoo:

Mr. White
04-23-2006, 07:42 PM
I didn't wanna touch this one with a 10-foot-pole. Gotta give credit, though...I've been watching this thread since it started. It's damn funny watching people try to back out now.

swtbound07
04-23-2006, 07:54 PM
still here.....still solid that reggie wont be here...still pro-vince. With me, you get consistency. My only codicil to this entire matter is that i wont allow myself to be renamed something explicit, overtly sexual, or obscene. Keep it tastefull if you win guys.

Hottoddie
04-24-2006, 12:29 AM
I didn't wanna touch this one with a 10-foot-pole. Gotta give credit, though...I've been watching this thread since it started. It's damn funny watching people try to back out now.

LOL, it sure is. I love the way some are trying to convince themselves that the title/first post didn't make it clear enough that it was a bet. There's even one that started at the end of the thread & tried to blame it on the thread being too long. But, that's okay, I've got a nice moniker for those people. I'll name them Welsher 1, Welsher 2, Welsher 3, etc. etc. :stirpot: :D

Texans86
04-24-2006, 01:17 AM
LOL, it sure is. I love the way some are trying to convince themselves that the title/first post didn't make it clear enough that it was a bet. There's even one that started at the end of the thread & tried to blame it on the thread being too long. But, that's okay, I've got a nice moniker for those people. I'll name them Welsher 1, Welsher 2, Welsher 3, etc. etc. :stirpot: :D

I knew exactly what the pot was, I'm just saying that I went irrationally into it. Three weeks before the draft is too early. I know for next year I guess. Besides, odds were slightly in favor of the original poster, we had to pick one person, he didn't have to pick anyone. But, if I must stay in, I suppose I will.

Porky
04-27-2006, 10:57 AM
Are ya feelin any hotter Toddie? :spy:

Mike Kerns
04-27-2006, 11:13 AM
Are ya feelin any hotter Toddie? :spy:
lol:

Blu
04-27-2006, 03:12 PM
http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/6159/disordat5fo.jpg

kcwilson
04-27-2006, 06:18 PM

C'mon, if you don't think we are taking Bush at this point... what option do you think is most likely?

Granted there is dis-information out there, but you have to be thinking you are at least a 2 to 1 underdog at this point.

Hottoddie
04-27-2006, 09:00 PM
I'm feeling hotter than the Fourth of July. The talks are dragging along just fine. Just watch, the Texans will trade down on Saturday. Some team will get nervous & step up to the plate to make an offer we can't refuse.

The Texans don't really want Bush. They want to trade down, & have wanted to, from the beginning. Is anyone here gullible enough to believe Casserly's BS about having received no offers for the #1 pick? Of course we have. They're just holding out to see if they'll get a better offer on draft day.

I've said it before, & I'll say it again, the Texans are targeting D'Brick, Hawk, Huff, or Davis, in that order. Bank on it. :D :stirpot: :D

outofhnd
04-27-2006, 09:14 PM
But not Vince Young... I honestly think Cass is telling the truth, partly I think he means we are not getting any real legitimate offers at this time. I dont think we will either, Because honestly everyteam that needs a running back has a pick where a comparable back can be chosen when the draft gets to them. Now if Reggie Bush was an amazing wideout, that was just off the charts, We would have San Fran, GB, Denver, Philly, BUffalo and a few others calling nonstop to see what we would want to get our pick..

But Reggie is a RB, with about 3-4 more possibly also being taken in the 1st round, with a lot of teams solving their RB woes in FA.. and the ones that havent looking hard at one of the other backs available.

Just how it works, Last year Vernon Davis could be the #1 overall with the shortage of TE and the ability he has above the rest in that class. But WR would definately put us in a fray of offers..

MorKnolle
04-28-2006, 12:49 AM
C'mon, if you don't think we are taking Bush at this point... what option do you think is most likely?

Granted there is dis-information out there, but you have to be thinking you are at least a 2 to 1 underdog at this point.

I don't know, I think it is legitimately 50/50 between Bush and Mario right now, and if anything I think Mario is gaining momentum, just the vibes I've been getting on things from what McNair/Casserly have been saying.

MorKnolle
04-28-2006, 12:52 AM
I'm feeling hotter than the Fourth of July. The talks are dragging along just fine. Just watch, the Texans will trade down on Saturday. Some team will get nervous & step up to the plate to make an offer we can't refuse.

The Texans don't really want Bush. They want to trade down, & have wanted to, from the beginning. Is anyone here gullible enough to believe Casserly's BS about having received no offers for the #1 pick? Of course we have. They're just holding out to see if they'll get a better offer on draft day.

I've said it before, & I'll say it again, the Texans are targeting D'Brick, Hawk, Huff, or Davis, in that order. Bank on it. :D :stirpot: :D

Well, I bet in favor of Bush in this poll a while ago and I have since come to believe the pick is Mario, so if you want to place an additional wager on this how about this: If the pick is Mario Williams, myself and anyone sporting a Mario avatar as of tomorrow does not have to change their moniker, if we trade down as you are for some reason thinking we are looking to do or take anyone else then all of us on this side give all of you other guys that voted against Reggie positive feedback and you can change our monikers. Sound enticing to you?

kastofsna
04-28-2006, 07:17 PM
wow, he wins.

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/detail.php?PRKey=2543&section=N%20Latest%20News

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
04-28-2006, 07:23 PM
A lot of crow being served around here. lol

Huge
04-28-2006, 07:26 PM
Man does this post have potential!

:rofl:

kastofsna
04-28-2006, 07:39 PM
i'll give up my moniker just to soak in the boastful post dodie will make.

beerlover
04-28-2006, 07:39 PM
Wow I glad I didn't vote on this poll.

:crying:

me too :cool:

Mike Kerns
04-28-2006, 07:40 PM
So, when do we get our new monikers?

Señor Stan
04-28-2006, 08:12 PM
So, when do we get our new monikers?

This is going to be one confusing place...

I expected most of the ones that voted "NO" to disappear anyway. Now this should be funny.

Hottoddie
04-28-2006, 08:16 PM
How SWEEEEEEEEEEET it is.

Victory is a dish best served cold.

Anyone else want to know how HOT I am?

I'm on FIRE!

That's because HOTTODDIE is still here.:neener: :neener: :yahoo:

WOW! 132 monikers to change. Hmmmmm......., let me give it some thought. :D

vtech9
04-28-2006, 08:27 PM
me too :cool:
I didn't post on this thread, but I did vote....

AND I GET TO KEEP MY MONIKER:yahoo: :redtowel:

Mr. White
04-28-2006, 08:34 PM
I knew this thread would turn back up again. Funny as hell.

threetoedpete
04-28-2006, 09:13 PM
Whats my new name ?

Storm
04-28-2006, 09:48 PM
I'm betting that the Texans take Mario Williams of NCS

Grid
04-28-2006, 10:40 PM
has it always been set up so that anyone who voted in the poll was obligating themselves to the moniker bet? Cause when I voted I wasnt aware that I was putting my moniker on the line :)

Ill go along with it, but not if that is something yall threw in AFTER i had voted hehe.

OzzO
04-28-2006, 10:59 PM
Hottoddie... you are amazing... Even moreso if you can come up with 132 name changes.

Maybe make it easy and just have those that took up the challenge and add an "owned by hottoddie" as their title?

swtbound07
04-28-2006, 11:09 PM
I keep my moniker!!!! I get to help change others!!! this rules.

HJam72
04-28-2006, 11:34 PM
I'm not betting anything (just wanted to make that clear), but I don't believe for one minute that Young is going to be a Texan. I do still think there could be a last minute Trade Down. Mainly though, I just hope they either take Bush or Trade Down--I don't want to spend the #1 on anything else, like an OT for example. Wouldn't mind having one at all, but not with the #1. That's all. :)

I really don't think I should have to change anything.

Isn't the moniker the NAME? Holy Cow, people.

michaelm
04-29-2006, 12:17 AM
I guess you can change mine to "IReallyThoughtReggieWouldBeATexan132"

I didn't get it when I voted that I was putting my moniker on the line, but I was way wrong without question.

Maybe you'll allow me to change mine to "AtLeastIWasManEnoughToAdmitIWasWrong1"?

swtbound07
04-29-2006, 02:06 AM
lets rename kastofna to "Miss Cleo"...his predictions run parallel to hers.

texasguy346
04-29-2006, 02:27 AM
I'm kind of glad to be on the losing end of this bet. I've wanted the Texans to take Mario, and at #1 overall if need be, but all signs pointed to Bush up until the final hours. Oh well, just be sure to keep it tasteful, and try to keep something Texan related in it. Also something short enough for me to be able to remember.

kastofsna
04-29-2006, 08:02 AM
lets rename kastofna to "Miss Cleo"...his predictions run parallel to hers.
i'm 1 for 1 on my final mock. :yahoo:

Coach C.
04-29-2006, 08:06 AM
kastofsna, dont trya to act likey you got your prediction right, You had bush and you kept saying it was going to be Bush. Come on man!!!

kastofsna
04-29-2006, 08:42 AM
you must be thinking of someone else. yourself, probably.

fact is, the only thing that matters is the final mock. :)

swtbound07
04-29-2006, 09:10 AM
1 - Houston Texans - Reggie Bush, RB, USC...BPA. Contract issues will be sorted out after he is drafted.
2 - New Orleans Saints - Mario Williams, DE, NC State...BPA. Grant and Allen are on the roster, but Grant will be moved inside and Allen will play opposite of Williams. NO's defense will start to look like Chicago's pretty soon.
3 - Tennessee Titans - Jay Cutler, QB, Vanderbilt...Rated by many teams as the #1 QB in this draft. Somewhat of a cross between Leinart and Young, pleases both ownership and coaching staff.
4 - New York Jets - Matt Leinart, QB, USC...One of the loudest cheers you'll ever hear from Jets fans at the draft. They won't take Ferguson over Leinart, end of discussion.
5 - Green Bay Packers - D'Brickashaw Ferguson, T, Virginia...AJ Hawk is a huge possiblity, and they definitely need him, but Ferguson is definitely BPA here.
6 - San Francisco 49ers - AJ Hawk, LB, Ohio State...Losing Andre Carter and Julian Peterson on defense in one offseason is tough. Hawk is an excellent choice here.
7 - Oakland Raiders - Vernon Davis, TE, Maryland...Tough choice between Davis and Huff, but Al Davis goes for the freak factor on offense here to help out Andrew Walter in the future. QB ISN'T AN OPTION.
8 - Buffalo Bills - Brodrick Bunkley, DT, FSU...Bunkley is a better pick over Ngata, as Bunkley is a true 3-tech for the 4-3. Huff is a possibility.
9 - Detroit Lions - Michael Huff, S, Texas...Matt Millen finally addresses defense and takes the best player on that side of the ball in the draft.
10 - Arizona Cardinals - Ernie Sims, LB, FSU...Young seems like the obvious fit here, but the Cards reportedly LOVE Sims, a LOT.
11 - St. Louis Rams - Vince Young, QB, Texas...This is a BPA situation. And Scott Linehan likes big mobile QB's, a la Daunte Culpepper.
12 - Cleveland Browns - Kamerion Wimbley, DE, FSU...The Browns have loved this guy for a while.
13 - Baltimore Ravens - Haloti Ngata, DT, Oregon...The Ravens luck out considerbly here. They love Ngata.
14 - Philadelphia Eagles - Winston Justice, T, USC...Again, a case of a team being madly in love with a player.
15 - Denver Broncos - Santonio Holmes, WR, Ohio State...Despite the Chad Jackson hype, teams still feel Holmes is the best player in the draft. Denver will make the right choice (or not).
16 - Miami Dolphins - Manny Lawson, DE, NC State...The next Jason Taylor. He was voted Defensive MVP by his teammates, not Mario Williams. Scored a 30 on the wonderlic. 6'5, 4.4
17 - Minnesota Vikings - Chad Greenway, LB, Iowa...Lots of money invested in the secondary and up front on defense, but not much in the middle of the d-unit. Greenway brings that John Randle-intensity.
18 - Dallas Cowboys - Donte Whitner, S, Ohio State...Missing from Dallas' secondary is a roving safety who can make plays in and outside of the box. Whitner is the man.
19 - San Diego Chargers - Tye Hill, CB, Clemson...Considered by most to be the best "pure" corner in the draft, Hill falls a tad because of his small stature.
20 - Kansas City Chiefs - Chad Jackson, WR, Florida...Pretty much a one trick pony. Go deep and catch the ball. Runs very sloppy routes. Will need work, but the talent is definitely there.
21 - New England Patriots - Deangelo Williams, RB, Memphis...A top 10 talent who falls due to lack of need. New England drafts him and he runs for 1300 yards his rookie season.
22 - San Francisco 49ers - Richard Marshall, CB, Fresno State...They risked it taking Hawk and hoping a WR would be here, but instead they go BPA on defense taking Marshall.
23 - Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Bobby Carpenter, LB, Ohio State...Derrick Brooks won't be around forever, and Gruden loves the sons of former players.
24 - Cincinnati Bengals - Jason Allen, DB, Tennessee...The secondary is one of Cincy's weakest corps, despite their playmaking abilities. Allen can play several positions.
25 - New York Giants - Antonio Cromartie, CB, FSU...Despite the Sam Madison signing, a young CB is needed, and Cromartie has all the talent in the world to be a top 10 player. Steal of the first round?
26 - Chicago Bears - Marcedes Lewis, TE, UCLA...Looks like he's moved back up into the 1st round, and Chicago needs a TE to give Rex Grossman or Brian Griese another target.
27 - Carolina Panthers - Jimmy Williams, CB, Virginia Tech...A guy who's considered a tweener with a bad attitude don't usually get drafted high. Williams is no exception. His drop is predictable and Carolina takes advantage of this top 10 talent.
28 - Jacksonville Jaguars - Jonathan Joseph, CB, South Carolina...This year's Pacman Jones.
29 - New York Jets - Nick Mangold, C, Ohio State...They lost Kevin Mawae to free agency, and after drafting the best QB in the draft, they follow that up with the best center in the draft.
30 - Indianapolis Colts - Laurence Maroney, RB, Minnesota...Should be drafted higher, but reports of being a "guy who doesn't shut up" from various teams causes a bit of a slide, but not much. Indy needs a replacement for Edge immediately, but Maroney isn't as good of a blocker as all and the results will be noticed.
31 - Seattle Seahawks - Ashton Youboty, CB, Ohio State...The best of the remaining DB's here, Seattle adds to their young secondary with this skilled, but somewhat undisciplined, CB.
32 - Pittsburgh Steelers - Lendale White, RB, Usc...Hard to imagine the Steelers passing up on White here to fill their need at RB. The first round begins and ends with a USC RB being drafted.

Well as of 3 days ago you were still wrong

Hottoddie
05-20-2006, 10:58 PM
The last 3 weeks have been a bit chaotic for me & I haven't been able to get the time needed to get this rolling.

First off, let me say to all the losers, nanny nanny boo boo.:D

Vinny has graciously agreed to assist in changing all the monikers for us. Thanks Vinny.

Now, I guess it's time to start gathering the new names. :stirpot:

While the list of voters that voted "NO" lists 34 posters, there were actually, only 24 at the time it was announced that the Texans had signed Mario. Fortunately, I printed a copy of the voters that had voted prior to the announcement, with the exception of one. I don't know who the 25th voter was, so, unless they step up & confess, I guess we'll just have to live with it. However, for all those that voted "NO" after the announcement, shame on you. You should've stepped up when it counted.

There are 25 winners & 132 losers. That means that each of the 25 winners will get to choose 5 names, which will leave 7 names left over. There are 5 winning posters that have, either single digit posts, registered about draft time, and/or haven't been around for 3 weeks (coryallis149, HoustonianStuckinCali, jlwevans, light, & Untamed Guerillaz). If they, or anyone else, should fail to show up & make their selections, then their 5 picks each, will be thrown back into the pot.

The way this is going to work is, I'll list out the 25 posters that can participate & each one of them will select 5 names from the "YES" voter's list. It'll be first come, first served in making your selections the first time through. In the second round, each poster will select one additional name in the order that they selected in the first round & continue in that order, until all the names have been selected.

When you post your picks, you need to list their new moniker to the right of their old moniker. This will allow Vinny to change the names as they go, rather than having to do it all at once, if he so chooses. For those that aren't sure what a moniker is, it's the name that you post under (ie, Hottoddie).

The first round of selections will begin immediately after I make my first 5 picks & end on Sunday, June 11, 2006 at 9:00pm Central Standard Time, or earlier, if all 25 posters have made their picks. That's 3 weeks to make your first selections, & should be enough time for everyone to make their picks. I'll PM each of the 25 winning posters so that they'll know they are on the clock, so to speak & start a "Time to pay up with your moniker" thread in each of the forums.

Since this post is getting rather long, I'll put the list of winning posters in another post.

Hottoddie
05-20-2006, 11:18 PM
Hottoddie Here's my first 5 picks & their new monikers. You are now owned by Hottoddie.

1)Lucky ===> Hottoddie1 (Thanks for the idea Lucky :D)
2)Porky ===> Hottoddie2
3)texasguy346 ===> Hottoddie3
4)gwallaia ===> Hottoddie4
5)Double Barrel ===> Hottoddie5

axman40

4th&inches= Dazed & Confused
Hook em horns = Bud hater
Mario Williams = I voted for Bush
Granpa = Yes I am Old
Powerful Dragon = H. R. Pufnstuf

bckey

bkimble

Bubbajwp

coryvallis149

El Amigo Invisible

Frank The Tank

hollywood texan

HoustonianStuckinCali

jgite

jjcorvallis

jlwevans

johnny tlmn

light

profan

Senor Stan

Barzilla - Ausmus-zilla
Honeymoonisover - Weddingnight
TexansLucky13 - TexansLucky#13
MorKnolle - MorK the Prophet
jaayteetx - Jarheads 4 Reggie

Smokedawg

swtbound07

kastofsna---Miss Cleo
Texan Asylum----- ChaosTexan
chuckm----ReggieBust
SESupergenius------SESemi-SmartGuy
Grid------Trollfeeder

Tex-fan0604

Trapped

Trenches

tulexan

Untamed Guerillaz

vtech9

jerek--------->j-wrecked
whiskeyrbl---->whisky river took my mind
LikeABoss ---->LikeAVirgin
Marcus------->Mucous
BeerFan------>BeerBelly

swtbound07
05-21-2006, 12:06 AM
Im in....where is the list of losers to modify?

Hottoddie
05-21-2006, 12:08 AM
I've posted a list of the winning bettors & the rules which we are going to use in the selection process. Please read them very carefully (post#145) & start making your selections as quickly as possible. The first round of selections are on a first come-first served basis.

With 132 new monikers, this place is going to be chaotic for a while. :D

http://www.houstontexans.com/fan_zone/messageboards/showthread.php?t=20744&page=8

Hottoddie
05-21-2006, 12:10 AM
Im in....where is the list of losers to modify?

Just click on the 132 of the poll count.

swtbound07
05-21-2006, 12:20 AM
swtbound07's picks

kastofsna---Miss Cleo
Texan Asylum----- ChaosTexan
chuckm----ReggieBust
SESupergenius------SESemi-SmartGuy
Grid------Trollfeeder

TexanFan881
05-21-2006, 12:27 AM
Just click on the 132 of the poll count.

It's at 133. Some idiot just voted no :tv:

swtbound07
05-21-2006, 12:29 AM
It's at 133. Some idiot just voted no :tv:

hahaha!

Double Barrel
05-21-2006, 12:40 AM
My post on 04-05-2006 labelled "Disclaimer Ahead":

I voted, but before I read the terms and conditions of voting. I'll never give my avatar choice to another. :ok: JUST TO MAKE THINGS CLEAR

You stay away from my squirrel, ya' hear? :shoot:

mexican_texan
05-21-2006, 01:01 AM
blu Choclate Thundaaaa
frak the jags, thing one
hjam72, thing two
hook em horns, King Koopa
morKnolle, Francis :francis: <---in honor of this guy

vtech9
05-21-2006, 01:07 AM
These are my five:

jerek--------->j-wrecked
Marcus------->Mucous
BeerFan------>BeerBelly

damn...I had names for MorKnolle and HJam72 already picked out, but Mexican Texan posted while I was thinking of others.

mexican_texan
05-21-2006, 01:16 AM
These are my five:

jerek--------->j-wrecked
Marcus------->Mucous
BeerFan------>BeerBelly

damn...I had MorKnolle and HJam72 already picked out, but Mexican Texan posted while I was thinking of others.
yours are better though...

vtech9
05-21-2006, 01:26 AM
yours are better though...
you can use the ones I had for MorKnolle and HJam72 if you want to. They are:

MorKnolle----->Mork from Ork

&

HJam72------->ToeJam72

I wanted to keep a little of their original names so people would know who they are.

TexansLucky13
05-21-2006, 01:27 AM
Hmm... reading this over again I finally understand what I was in for when I voted, haha. I clicked on the thread to see just what the hell a "moniker" was (I agologize that I am not a forum fanatic, and am not aware of all the terminology). The poll popped up, and I voted, since it was a no-brainer decision. Then, once I had read the rules, I didn't feel much different, only that maybe I had unconsciously signed up for something....

So I just wanted to say that I really like my name, and I don't really want it changed... so maybe if you would consider letting me change the caption under my name to something like "I got owned by hottoddie" instead of changing my name. I think I would stop posting on here if that happened... it's that important to me. Mathis is the da bomb diggity, yo!

mexican_texan
05-21-2006, 01:31 AM
Hmm... reading this over again I finally understand what I was in for when I voted, haha. I clicked on the thread to see just what the hell a "moniker" was (I agologize that I am not a forum fanatic, and am not aware of all the terminology). The poll popped up, and I voted, since it was a no-brainer decision. Then, once I had read the rules, I didn't feel much different, only that maybe I had unconsciously signed up for something....

So I just wanted to say that I really like my name, and I don't really want it changed... so maybe if you would consider letting me change the caption under my name to something like "I got owned by hottoddie" instead of changing my name. I think I would stop posting on here if that happened... it's that important to me. Mathis is the da bomb diggity, yo!
how about

EnjoyingMathis'dust

mexican_texan
05-21-2006, 01:31 AM
you can use the ones I had for MorKnolle and HJam72 if you want to. They are:

MorKnolle----->Mork from Ork

&

HJam72------->ToeJam72

I wanted to keep a little of their original names so people would know who they are.
yeah, let's use both of yours...

vtech9
05-21-2006, 01:35 AM

You could always put "formerly known as TexansLucky13" or something like it in the caption under your new name.

vtech9
05-21-2006, 01:40 AM
I've posted a list of the winning bettors & the rules which we are going to use in the selection process. Please read them very carefully (post#145) & start making your selections as quickly as possible. The first round of selections are on a first come-first served basis.

With 132 new monikers, this place is going to be chaotic for a while. :D

http://www.houstontexans.com/fan_zone/messageboards/showthread.php?t=20744&page=8
I have posted mine already.

Hottoddie
05-21-2006, 01:50 AM
My post on 04-05-2006 labelled "Disclaimer Ahead":

You stay away from my squirrel, ya' hear? :shoot:

It's not your squirrel I'm after (somehow that sounds weird), it's your name (Double Barrel).

mexican_texan
05-21-2006, 01:54 AM
Did someone else just vote YES?

TexansLucky13
05-21-2006, 01:58 AM
how about

EnjoyingMathis'dust

Hehe, nice thought.

You could always put "formerly known as TexansLucky13" or something like it in the caption under your new name.

I guess... I might take that into consideration. But I want to know two things before I would take that option.

1) What hottoddie will post in response to my question.

2) What my new moniker would be, if it is to be changed.

If I find it amusing I may let ya'll change it and do the caption thing. But if you choose something utterly retarded like you did for my dad, I may just make a new account and give myself equal rep points (I wouldn't cheat the system, only make it right.) I spend too much time on here to be posting under a name that I don't like, and life is too short to deal with that sort of stuff.

Hottoddie
05-21-2006, 01:58 AM
blu Choclate Thundaaaa
frak the jags, thing one
hjam72, thing two
hook em horns, King Koopa
morKnolle, Francis :francis: <---in honor of this guy

You're not one of the original 25 posters that cast their vote before the announcement. Unless you've changed your original moniker, you can't change any names. If so, what was your former name?

mexican_texan
05-21-2006, 02:06 AM
You're not one of the original 25 posters that cast their vote before the announcement. Unless you've changed your original moniker, you can't change any names. If so, what was your former name?
no, I just wanted to fit in...:crying:

Hottoddie
05-21-2006, 02:10 AM

Let me aswer your question with a question, what if you had won, would you have allowed me to walk away from the bet without fullfilling my end of the bargain? Would you accept my explaination that I didn't bother to read the rules to what I was jumping into? I sure hope that those of you that are pleading this as your defense don't take this same stance with your business dealings in the real world. I believe that any one of you would've happily changed my moniker, if you had been on the winning side. A bet is a bet.

vtech9
05-21-2006, 02:15 AM
Hehe, nice thought.

I guess... I might take that into consideration. But I want to know two things before I would take that option.

1) What hottoddie will post in response to my question.

2) What my new moniker would be, if it is to be changed.

If I find it amusing I may let ya'll change it and do the caption thing. But if you choose something utterly retarded like you did for my dad, I may just make a new account and give myself equal rep points (I wouldn't cheat the system, only make it right.) I spend too much time on here to be posting under a name that I don't like, and life is too short to deal with that sort of stuff.
Who is your dad?

TexansLucky13
05-21-2006, 02:26 AM
Let me aswer your question with a question, what if you had won, would you have allowed me to walk away from the bet without fullfilling my end of the bargain? Would you accept my explaination that I didn't bother to read the rules to what I was jumping into? I sure hope that those of you that are pleading this as your defense don't take this same stance with your business dealings in the real world. I believe that any one of you would've happily changed my moniker, if you had been on the winning side. A bet is a bet.

So typical. Do what you want... I sleep at night knowing two things.

1) Reggie Bush will not be as much as a bust as you had hoped, but it will not matter to the Texans anyways, since we will only have to face him once every four years and at the SB.

2) Your beloved VY will not be as godlike as you dream. He might turnout well if McNair is in Tennessee... but I guess he will just be another victim of the unfortunate nature of the game.

If I had won, I would not care one way or the other. I, personally, would be rational.... but I never expected you to be.

Who is your dad?

Haha. Convince hottoddie to be human and I will tell you.

Señor Stan
05-21-2006, 08:37 AM
Here's mines

Barzilla - Ausmus-zilla
Honeymoonisover - Weddingnight
TexansLucky13 - TexansLucky#13
MorKnolle - MorK the Prophet
jaayteetx - Jarheads 4 Reggie

kastofsna
05-21-2006, 09:03 AM
thats definitely the way to do it

YoungTexanFan
05-21-2006, 09:50 AM
I didn't vote either way, because I didn't know what a moniker was until this morning. However, I would like to know how long the names will be changed and if it will effect their status. It's going to be difficult knowing who's opinion I value. If someone like Beerlover, Vinny, DoubleBarrel, AJ, Morkenel, Coach C. post...I will read it because I respect their opinion.

axman40
05-21-2006, 10:36 AM
Ok here is my 5:
4th&inches= 4inches proud
Granpa = Yes I am Old

:fireball:

Hottoddie
05-21-2006, 10:49 AM
Ok here is my 5:
4th&inches= 4inches proud
Granpa = Yes I am Old

:fireball:

Guys, remember to keep it clean & tasteful.

axman40,

Unless I'm misinterpreting what you mean by 4th&inches new moniker, would you mind coming up with something a little different please?

axman40
05-21-2006, 10:57 AM
Ok then 4th& inches= Dazed & Confused

:cool:

kastofsna
05-21-2006, 11:44 AM
4th&inches=3&out
hook em horns=hook em whorns

etc...make it similar.

TexanFan881
05-21-2006, 12:29 PM
srry im new but what exactly is a moniker ... thanks in advance

I think it's your screenname thing like yours is TexanFan80 and mine is TexanFan881.

Trapped
05-21-2006, 12:48 PM
132, that's alot, i don't even know who's name i can choose.

Hottoddie
05-21-2006, 12:58 PM
132, that's alot, i don't even know who's name i can choose.

You can see the one's that have already been chosen on page 8, post# 146.

I'm thinking about starting another thread & posting the list as it's filled in that thread. This one is starting to get too long.

Double Barrel
05-21-2006, 07:06 PM
It's not your squirrel I'm after (somehow that sounds weird), it's your name (Double Barrel).

You should have put your conditions in the poll itself (or at least a reference to the bet), instead of just your post. You poll simply stated "Will Reggie Bush be on the opening roster next year? Yes No", but does not indicate a wager of any sort.

I come into many threads via the "« Previous Thread | Next Thread »" feature (since I'm trying to read as many as possible as a mod), so I see polls before the text itself.

Which is why I put my disclaimer mere moments after the poll, due to reading your conditions in the post itself.

If I had made a bet in good faith, I'd honor it. But I've never been a gambling man, and I wasn't going to start with your challenge.

If you can get out of a signed contract for a new car within 72 hours, I'd hope that a mistake that was corrected in seconds would receive the same understanding. :)

mexican_texan
05-21-2006, 07:17 PM
You should have put your conditions in the poll itself (or at least a reference to the bet), instead of just your post. You poll simply stated "Will Reggie Bush be on the opening roster next year? Yes No", but does not indicate a wager of any sort.

I come into many threads via the "« Previous Thread | Next Thread »" feature (since I'm trying to read as many as possible as a mod), so I see polls before the text itself.

Which is why I put my disclaimer mere moments after the poll, due to reading your conditions in the post itself.

If I had made a bet in good faith, I'd honor it. But I've never been a gambling man, and I wasn't going to start with your challenge.

If you can get out of a signed contract for a new car within 72 hours, I'd hope that a mistake that was corrected in seconds would receive the same understanding. :)
always read fine print before signing...or in this case, voting...

TexanFan881
05-21-2006, 08:26 PM
hey, double barrell, we screwed up. i did the same thing. honestly, I think I just voted on the poll and didnt really read it as I just read it now and I can't remember ever reading anything about this lol. im sure they won't screw us over that bad :)

thunderkyss
05-21-2006, 08:49 PM
hey.... does this change their log in and everything, or just their displayed name??

There are some sights, like musicplayer.com forums, that you can sign in with your account name, but displays whatever....

& then, how permanent is this?? 1 year?? till next draft?? or 1 year from today??

TexanFan881
05-21-2006, 09:00 PM
hey.... does this change their log in and everything, or just their displayed name??

There are some sights, like musicplayer.com forums, that you can sign in with your account name, but displays whatever....

& then, how permanent is this?? 1 year?? till next draft?? or 1 year from today??

it's until next year's draft. that's all i know. im sure you keep the same log in and everything, just it gives u a different displayed name

mexican_texan
05-21-2006, 09:05 PM
hey, double barrell, we screwed up. i did the same thing. honestly, I think I just voted on the poll and didnt really read it as I just read it now and I can't remember ever reading anything about this lol. im sure they won't screw us over that bad :)
No excuses...you voted and you shall be held responsible. You shall not be tried as a minor.

Your new name (suggestion): JaguarsFan881

disaacks3
05-21-2006, 09:13 PM
hey, double barrell, we screwed up. i did the same thing. honestly, I think I just voted on the poll and didnt really read it as I just read it now and I can't remember ever reading anything about this lol. im sure they won't screw us over that bad

Um....I voted on a poll...one of many going around before the draft.

The POLL doesn't list any such bet.

I have yet to welch on a bet in my life, but this is kinda ridiculous. I read (as evidently others did as well) the poll as an indicator at the top of the thread as to what percentage of people were 'resigned' to the Bush pick.

The poll does NOT say - I wager my moniker vs. yours that Bush will be on the roster. The first POST indicates that information, and if I'd wanted to make THAT bet, I'd have responded in the thread.

TexansLucky13
05-21-2006, 11:29 PM
srry im new but what exactly is a moniker ... thanks in advance

See? These guys don't even know what a moniker is. And neither did I. I am going to sue for false advertisement, or something. Bah!

TexansLucky13
05-21-2006, 11:31 PM

I have yet to welch on a bet in my life, but this is kinda ridiculous. I read (as evidently others did as well) the poll as an indicator at the top of the thread as to what percentage of people were 'resigned' to the Bush pick.

The poll does NOT say - I wager my moniker vs. yours that Bush will be on the roster. The first POST indicates that information, and if I'd wanted to make THAT bet, I'd have responded in the thread.

Perfectly stated. I have the same testimony. Luckily, Senor Stan was kind enough to change mine only slightly, so I am not as upset. But this bet should be declared void.

mexican_texan
05-21-2006, 11:54 PM
Perfectly stated. I have the same testimony. Luckily, Senor Stan was kind enough to change mine only slightly, so I am not as upset. But this bet should be declared void.
nope

TexansLucky13
05-22-2006, 12:09 AM
nope

Yup. :tease:

mexican_texan
05-22-2006, 12:13 AM
Yup. :tease:
Nope :stirpot:

You voted, you face the consequences

mexican_texan
05-22-2006, 12:15 AM
hey people thought i'd try an promote the state of origin series to you guys (i don't know how to start a new thread)

state of origin rugby league is a devastating sport, a sport of warriors, fun to watch and i recommend it to all - just something to watch while we wait for the season to start, its coming up in a few days. i don't know how you people rout there in the states could view - maybe cable,but just watch it theres going to be loads of hits and concussions and if you're lucky - fights.

if you don't know much about the sport just click on the link below to have a fair idea

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lf0fs...rugby%20league
Made you one in the No Sports Talk Allowed section

TexanFan881
05-22-2006, 06:34 AM

It does say that in the thread title though. That's why I think they're saying that we should've known or something. The title of the poll should have been: Will Reggie Bush be on the opening roster next year? (You lose the poll-you lose your moniker). And why don't you guys just call it a screenname, nobody knows what the heck a moniker is.

TexanFan881
05-22-2006, 06:36 AM
Your new name (suggestion): JaguarsFan881

That would scar me for life :hide:

vtech9
05-22-2006, 11:12 PM
I think this is ridiculous. These people that are complaining would have been laughing their ass off and fighting over whose name they got to change if they had won, but since they chose wrong, they are complaining and saying they didn't know it was a bet. How could you not know? It is in the thread title. If you didn't know what a moniker was, why didn't you ask before voting?

barzilla
05-23-2006, 08:19 AM
At what point do these become official? I'm okay with mine actually, it could have been a lot worse.

TexanFan881
05-23-2006, 08:38 AM
Not to mention we do not need another Jag fan on the board right? :)

Hey, if my moniker changes, that doesn't mean I'm switching teams. I will figure something out and I'll probably be like JAXwithanX trying to explain I'm not a Jaguars fan. :superman:

kastofsna
05-23-2006, 09:14 AM
pretty pathetic how people all of a sudden don't know what a moniker is, or didn't read anything before they voted, or read it wrong....god. MAN UP.

swtbound07
05-23-2006, 11:19 AM
pretty pathetic how people all of a sudden don't know what a moniker is, or didn't read anything before they voted, or read it wrong....god. MAN UP.

For all the disputes I have with you, i actually admire this post. Especially considering one of the people to get changed is you, its refreshing to see somebody from that side of the bet step forward. my hat is off to you

Double Barrel
05-23-2006, 12:42 PM
I think this is ridiculous. These people that are complaining would have been laughing their ass off and fighting over whose name they got to change if they had won, but since they chose wrong, they are complaining and saying they didn't know it was a bet. How could you not know? It is in the thread title. If you didn't know what a moniker was, why didn't you ask before voting?

I'm not complaining. Just stating fact. 99.9% of polls do NOT have wagers attached to them.

As a mod, I read literally hundreds of threads, and quickness is the key. I came into the thread through a "back door" (ie. "« Previous Thread | Next Thread »" feature), and the poll was at the top - above the actual post mentioning a wager.

Not realizing that a poll was attached to a bet, I voted, then read the first post. I quickly realized my MISTAKE, and posted accordingly. IF the poll itself had mentioned a wager, I would have abstained from voting.

I could care less who won/lost, and if Bush was on our roster, I wouldn't be one of the ones deciding who's name to change. I removed myself from the bet just seconds after mistaking it for one of the grillions of polls that were being posted before the draft. (I was a trade down pov anyway, so Bush was never someone that I really cared about either way.)

It's an honest mistake, and my first post indicates the realization of this mistake. I don't think people should be penalized for mistakes around here, considering how many folks get second (and third and fourth) chances after being banned by Vinny. People make mistakes, and I fessed up and thought I had rectified it accordingly.

For the record, I would/will NEVER take part in a bet involving my moniker, avatar, sig, or any other part of my identity. I'm just not into gambling and find nothing enjoyable about it.

swtbound07
05-23-2006, 12:42 PM
Hey Vinny, when will you start changing the people that have already been renamed?

swtbound07
05-23-2006, 12:44 PM
I'm not complaining. Just stating fact. 99.9% of polls do NOT have wagers attached to them.

As a mod, I read literally hundreds of threads, and quickness is the key. I came into the thread through a "back door" (ie. "« Previous Thread | Next Thread »" feature), and the poll was at the top - above the actual post mentioning a wager.

Not realizing that a poll was attached to a bet, I voted, then read the first post. I quickly realized my MISTAKE, and posted accordingly. IF the poll itself had mentioned a wager, I would have abstained from voting.

I could care less who won/lost, and if Bush was on our roster, I wouldn't be one of the ones deciding who's name to change. I removed myself from the bet just seconds after mistaking it for one of the grillions of polls that were being posted before the draft. (I was a trade down pov anyway, so Bush was never someone that I really cared about either way.)

It's an honest mistake, and my first post indicates the realization of this mistake. I don't think people should be penalized for mistakes around here, considering how many folks get second (and third and fourth) chances after being banned by Vinny. People make mistakes, and I fessed up and thought I had rectified it accordingly.

For the record, I would/will NEVER take part in a bet involving my moniker, avatar, sig, or any other part of my identity. I'm just not into gambling and find nothing enjoyable about it.

You did rescind literally right after you voted....i dont think yours should get changed personally. As for the people trying to back out now...i say tough luck. You would have been all over me if you had won.

tulexan
05-23-2006, 01:28 PM
I don't have the time to do this. I delegate my 5 names to whoever wants them.

TexansLucky13
05-23-2006, 01:59 PM
For every single person that is complaining about the complaining, all I have to say is that you are doing exactly as I would have predicted. Your SOL attitude, especially you swtbound, is well known on the boards. Although your argument here is justified, it is only due to your ill-respected rational on other topics.

And I do apologize that I didn't know WTF a moniker was. From what I read from the thread is was a "friendly wager". Hottoddies response to the outcome of this poll is clearly far from friendly. But then again, I expected all of you to act in such ways, so no complaints here.

swtbound07
05-23-2006, 02:03 PM
For every single person that is complaining about the complaining, all I have to say is that you are doing exactly as I would have predicted. Your SOL attitude, especially you swtbound, is well known on the boards. Although your argument here is justified, it is only due to your ill-respected rational on other topics.

And I do apologize that I didn't know WTF a moniker was. From what I read from the thread is was a "friendly wager". Hottoddies response to the outcome of this poll is clearly far from friendly. But then again, I expected all of you to act in such ways, so no complaints here.

it appears I've made quite the impression. nice.

hollywood_texan
05-23-2006, 02:05 PM

I also voted, but I voted Bush would not be on the roster. After reading through the thread I realized what was going and put out the notice that I did not want to participate because is was not clearly stated in the title.

See my posting, http://www.houstontexans.com/fan_zone/messageboards/showthread.php?p=318566#post318566.

IMO, if you voted and rescinded in a reasonable time frame due to the fact it was unclear, then it shouldn't count. If it took someone a couple days and they posted many messages a day, they shouldn't be able to rescind.

For the record, I received an e-mail from Hottoddie stating I can change 5 monikers. I responded saying that I rescinded my bet.

The burden of proof for the rescinded bet should fall upon the person rescinding the bet.

Double Barrel
05-23-2006, 02:46 PM
I also voted, but I voted Bush would not be on the roster. After reading through the thread I realized what was going and put out the notice that I did not want to participate because is was not clearly stated in the title.

See my posting, http://www.houstontexans.com/fan_zone/messageboards/showthread.php?p=318566#post318566.

IMO, if you voted and rescinded in a reasonable time frame due to the fact it was unclear, then it shouldn't count. If it took someone a couple days and they posted many messages a day, they shouldn't be able to rescind.

For the record, I received an e-mail from Hottoddie stating I can change 5 monikers. I responded saying that I rescinded my bet.

The burden of proof for the rescinded bet should fall upon the person rescinding the bet.

Well said, man. Personally, if I was proposing a forum wager, I would not have used a poll. I would have made a thread with the bet, and let whoever wants to take the bet confirm it with an actual post of said acceptance.

mexican_texan
05-23-2006, 03:08 PM
Well said, man. Personally, if I was proposing a forum wager, I would not have used a poll. I would have made a thread with the bet, and let whoever wants to take the bet confirm it with an actual post of said acceptance.
I'm guessing you've never had a cell phone contract or credit card?

Double Barrel
05-23-2006, 03:16 PM
I'm guessing you've never had a cell phone contract or credit card?

What do those things have to do with an internet forum? idonno: Besides, read the fine print: you can cancel within a reasonable period of time.

I'd say rectifying a mistake SECONDS after voting would be considered a reasonable period of time for this situation. I didn't realize at the time that you'd make a federal case out of an honest mistake.

Mr. White
05-23-2006, 03:43 PM

Protect your nuts, DB!!!!
:hunter:

mexican_texan
05-23-2006, 03:45 PM
What do those things have to do with an internet forum? idonno: Besides, read the fine print: you can cancel within a reasonable period of time.

I'd say rectifying a mistake SECONDS after voting would be considered a reasonable period of time for this situation. I didn't realize at the time that you'd make a federal case out of an honest mistake.
If you sign--or in this case vote--you should live up to what you agreed to or make it up somehow...

Oh, and that's for the other guys backing out, not DB.

hollywood_texan
05-23-2006, 03:55 PM
If you sign--or in this case vote--you should live up to what you agreed to or make it up somehow...

Oh, and that's for the other guys backing out, not DB.

Look I voted on the winning side and rescinded. I don't see a problem as long people made it clear within a reasonable amount time.

The title didn't clearly state it was a bet, and it's reasonable for a person to participate in a poll before they read the thread. That is basically what you guys are saying. It asked for someone's opinion in a poll, not for a wager. However, it does state the wager in the first post.

People voted because they didn't read the post first, which happens regularly.

mexican_texan
05-23-2006, 03:57 PM
The title didn't clearly state it was a bet, and it's reasonable for a person to participate in a poll before they read the thread. That is basically what you guys are saying. It asked for someone's opinion in a poll, not for a wager. However, it does state the wager in the first post.
Isn't bet in the title?

I'll bet my moniker against your moniker that Bush won't be on the Texan's roster

barzilla
05-23-2006, 04:37 PM
Wow, go away for awhile and come back to this.....

I say give those that rescinded their say. At the time of the poll even a trained monkey would bet on Bush, so someone rescinding at that point before the draft didn't do so because they felt they made the wrong pick but because they didn't want to gamble. Every credit card purchase online goes through several stages basically saying, "are you sure?".

Personally, I lost and am okay with it. My new name is not that objectionable and quite ironic (someone must know me from other sites).

hollywood_texan
05-23-2006, 05:29 PM
Isn't bet in the title?

First it doesn't link to the poll at the top of the page or anything that they are related.

Second, it is more of a statment than a bet.

Third, I did participate in the poll but I was on side of the guy that started the thread. So, how could he and I bet on something that we both agree?

This was not clearly stated until midway thru the thread and wasn't linked to the poll before someone clicked on it.

Bottom line, if they recinded timely within the thread, I say they did not make a bet. Imagine it like a return policy at a department store because you have a receipt.

Also, I understand that "I'll" means "I will". I don't think "will" is a proposed offer of any sort. For example, I will offer you the job. I don't think that means you have been offered a job, it just means you will be offered sometime in the future but there is not guaranteed.

Should have said "I am betting my moniker against..." But even then, there is no connection clearly stated in the poll section between the bet and the poll. Which is the main problem here.

kastofsna
05-23-2006, 05:51 PM
keep em comin, boys. you're all making me laugh.

hollywood_texan
05-23-2006, 05:54 PM
I voted "No" but rescinded the bet moments later after I read the first post. The poll should have said "read the entire first post before your participate."

Since no one could rescind, do I get to change someone's moniker because I voted "No" and won?

You know I really don't care because my moniker isn't changing.

See you guys later and have fun.

Señor Stan
05-23-2006, 07:04 PM
I don't have the time to do this. I delegate my 5 names to whoever wants them.

Dibs.

I'll take em off your hands!

disaacks3
05-23-2006, 07:21 PM
To be honest, I voted in the poll and moved on accordingly, since I didn't really care about another Bush/Vince/Whoever thread at that point.

It's only when I noticed this thread resurface well AFTER the draft that I wondered what all the fuss was about, since I only saw a handful of responses in the thread. It wasn't until THIS point that I realized that somebody said I'd made a wager simply by voting in the poll. WTF??

For swtbound, mexican_texan, kastofsna, et al. - Please get a life, sometime soon. You weren't the originators of this poll/thread and I could care less what you think of a "clear description".

My 'moniker' is how I'm identified on this board, and I don't want it changed for any reason more complex than I don't want somebody confused about who they're having a discussion with.

Now, I've got an offer for Hottoddie and nobody else, since he's the originator here. If you think that I'm simply trying to weasel a way out of this and I really DID know that I was obligating myself by voting in the poll, YOU may select a new Avatar for me (until the next draft). I'm willing to concede that much, if you truly believe that I'm only trying to 'back out' since I ended up on the 'losing' side. - PM me with your verdict.

vtech9
05-23-2006, 07:23 PM

DB, you I would have allowed out of the bet because of your immediate response. I can understand your error, but for the ones that didn't immediately rescind their bet, I think they should do as kastofsna said and "MAN UP".

I did have a good name picked out for you though DB. I was wanting to change your nom de plume to Double Bubble. Oh well, I'll let ya slide this time.

hollywood_texan
05-23-2006, 07:29 PM
You know I thought of something. I bet on this thing unknowingly. I voted NO in the poll so I won.

Therefore, I can change 5 monikers. I will change (or really not change) the 5 people that have good reasons for why they didn't think it was a bet.

I am not going to argue with anyone and will make a judgement accordingly. If I don't believe you or agree with your arguement I won't take your moniker for nonchange.

Send me a PM.

Just trying to help out a little here.

vtech9
05-23-2006, 07:34 PM
You know I thought of something. I bet on this thing unknowingly. I voted NO in the poll so I won.

Therefore, I can change 5 monikers. I will change (or really not change) the 5 people that have good reasons for why they didn't think it was a bet.

I am not going to argue with anyone and will make a judgement accordingly. If I don't believe you or agree with your arguement I won't take your moniker for nonchange.

Send me a PM.

Just trying to help out a little here.
Hey, if that's what you want to do, more power to you. Honestly, I think it is a great that you would do it.

mexican_texan
05-23-2006, 07:36 PM
For swtbound, mexican_texan, kastofsna, et al. - Please get a life, sometime soon. You weren't the originators of this poll/thread and I could care less what you think of a "clear description".

Personal attacks will give you 'da boot.

Señor Stan
05-23-2006, 07:54 PM
Tulexan's proxy picks....

1. edo783 --- Edo783

4 more to come later...

swtbound07
05-23-2006, 08:14 PM
To be honest, I voted in the poll and moved on accordingly, since I didn't really care about another Bush/Vince/Whoever thread at that point.

It's only when I noticed this thread resurface well AFTER the draft that I wondered what all the fuss was about, since I only saw a handful of responses in the thread. It wasn't until THIS point that I realized that somebody said I'd made a wager simply by voting in the poll. WTF??

My 'moniker' is how I'm identified on this board, and I don't want it changed for any reason more complex than I don't want somebody confused about who they're having a discussion with.

Now, I've got an offer for Hottoddie and nobody else, since he's the originator here. If you think that I'm simply trying to weasel a way out of this and I really DID know that I was obligating myself by voting in the poll, YOU may select a new Avatar for me (until the next draft). I'm willing to concede that much, if you truly believe that I'm only trying to 'back out' since I ended up on the 'losing' side. - PM me with your verdict.

Im a popular fellow today...lot of venom my way.

mexican_texan
05-23-2006, 08:19 PM
Im a popular fellow today...lot of venom my way.
May sunshine and bunny rabbits fill your path in life... :cool:

Hottoddie
05-23-2006, 09:11 PM
HJam72 & Double Barrel were the only ones to rescind their vote before the announcement, & as such, are released from their obligation. I was going to do it in the first place, but was concerned that if I did, everyone else would try to do the same thing.

For all the ones that are willing to stand up like a man (or woman, if that applies) & accept their loss with honor, I tip my hat to you & have the utmost respect for you.

As for the rest of you that are trying to weasel out of the deal, I despise you & have no respect for you. While I didn't indicate that it was a bet in the poll, I did state it in the title, which was less than 2 inches above the poll, that you voluntarily voted in. My only mistake was assuming everyone on this board that comes here to read what is posted by others, could actually read. It's become painfully obvious that some don't bother to read through a post before responding to it. Thus, making your opinions nothing more than mindless drivel.

This thread was started as a way to have a little fun, but has turned into a joke. I'm sick & tired of the whining & crying about how you were mislead & deceived. As a result, I'm not going to collect on this bet & will ask Vinny to close this thread. But, remember this,

YOU LOST!!!

P.S. I apologize to the winners for taking away what you truely earned. Thanks for the support.