PDA

View Full Version : Fellow Cowboy fans - Memories of Texas Stadium

HowBoutThemCowboys!
08-20-2004, 10:35 PM
Im really going to miss that ol 31 yr. old stadium when its done with, so many memories. Like when TO got knocked down by George Teague in the middle of the star, the great 1979 battle between the Skins vs. Dallas, winner takes division, I'll never forget that one. Or the famous line " We left the hole there so God could watch his favorite team " And what about when Emmitt Smith hit the jackpot and became the NFL's all time leading rusher
Any more you guys can think of?

WWJD
08-21-2004, 09:24 AM
I was at the 79 game between the Redskins and Cowboys and it was exciting.

I also remember a very good game against the Packers during the SB years.

Huge
08-21-2004, 01:43 PM
I remember as a kid driving 30 miles out of our way so that we could drive by Texas Stadium. Other than that, I've never been in/up close to the thing.

Listing the memories of games on tv would take too long.

Dawgnme
10-11-2006, 03:09 AM
Yeah, I remember going to that cauldron for a team-building exercise with my myopic at-the-time-manager in '99. Two of the ladies in my district passed out from the heat and another had to be taken to the hospital for mild hyperthermia. Hey, there's a reason you don't take alcohol IN A SAUNA!!! Here's why you dummies kept the hole in the roof:

"The hole in the roof is evidence of an unfinished design. The original plan called for a retractable roof, which was quite a radical concept in the late 1960s. However, the idea was abandoned on the basis of engineering and financial problems. But the rest of the design was implemented, resulting in Texas Stadium as we know it.

The effect of the roof is actually no different from that of many baseball parks. Many ballparks have a roof over the reserved seats, but not the bleachers. In your mind, just extend the roof all the way around, then elongate the stadium for football, and presto! Texas Stadium's design with a hole in the roof.

Renovations associated with new luxury box construction in the 1990s has eliminated the gap between the roof and the stands, through which a breeze could blow. This makes Texas Stadium hotter early in the season, but warmer toward the end."

One of your fellow mensas, a guy named Rod Nunley wrote that on a NFL stadium page. So put that in your crackpipe and smoke it - a failed engineering experiment gave birth to the world's first convection stadium... BRILLIANT! They oughtta put that #@%& in cans, bro. Only Phi Theta Kappas like yourselves would relish the memories of a death trap that was made worse by greedy owner Jerry Joan Rivers' "luxury boxes". The same backwoods carpetbagger who created the PSL and made you pay for the right to die (or suffer permanent brain damage, but wait, that's probably an improvement... nevermind). Way to go, Irving... like the corners of my mind. :violin

Go back to Oak Cliff and stay off our board, losers! :loser

nflnutswife
10-11-2006, 09:47 AM
Sooo, to answer your question. . .I don't think Dawg will miss the stadium!:bowser:

HOU-TEX
10-11-2006, 09:48 AM
Sooo, to answer your question. . .I don't think Dawg will miss the stadium!:bowser:

LOL! No kiddin, huh?

cuppacoffee
10-11-2006, 09:48 AM
Never mind nothing good to say.

:coffee:

HowBoutThemCowboys!
10-11-2006, 11:01 AM
Yeah, I remember going to that cauldron for a team-building exercise with my myopic at-the-time-manager in '99. Two of the ladies in my district passed out from the heat and another had to be taken to the hospital for mild hyperthermia. Hey, there's a reason you don't take alcohol IN A SAUNA!!! Here's why you dummies kept the hole in the roof:

"The hole in the roof is evidence of an unfinished design. The original plan called for a retractable roof, which was quite a radical concept in the late 1960s. However, the idea was abandoned on the basis of engineering and financial problems. But the rest of the design was implemented, resulting in Texas Stadium as we know it.

The effect of the roof is actually no different from that of many baseball parks. Many ballparks have a roof over the reserved seats, but not the bleachers. In your mind, just extend the roof all the way around, then elongate the stadium for football, and presto! Texas Stadium's design with a hole in the roof.

Renovations associated with new luxury box construction in the 1990s has eliminated the gap between the roof and the stands, through which a breeze could blow. This makes Texas Stadium hotter early in the season, but warmer toward the end."

One of your fellow mensas, a guy named Rod Nunley wrote that on a NFL stadium page. So put that in your crackpipe and smoke it - a failed engineering experiment gave birth to the world's first convection stadium... BRILLIANT! They oughtta put that #@%& in cans, bro. Only Phi Theta Kappas like yourselves would relish the memories of a death trap that was made worse by greedy owner Jerry Joan Rivers' "luxury boxes". The same backwoods carpetbagger who created the PSL and made you pay for the right to die (or suffer permanent brain damage, but wait, that's probably an improvement... nevermind). Way to go, Irving... like the corners of my mind. :violin

Go back to Oak Cliff and stay off our board, losers! :loser

I'm sorry Texas Stadium isn't as luxurious and renovated as the Texan's oh-so precious Reliant Stadium, but it gets the job done. I'm sorry that your "ladies" couldn't stand the heat, but the stadium's name is called Texas Stadium, so what did you expect? The frozen tundra? Quit your huffing and puffing and drink some water.

The Cowboys were a step ahead of their time back then. The Cowboys once again were pioneers for their time. I'm just glad our failed expirement back in the 60s, wasn't one where the team moved to Tennesse.

We are only three years away from quite possibly the finest facility in the great sporting world, the 9th wonder of the World-- Cowboys Park. While Cowboys Park wil only be created 6 years after Reliant, it will literally seem light years ahead. 100,000 capacity, theme park and Cowboys HOF outside, Steel beams space-ship like design from the exterior, large video boards peppering the outside, and too bad for you-- the rectatable roof concept will be made to include the hole in the roof.

wtf with bringing up a two year thread?

Txn_in_Oki
10-11-2006, 12:22 PM
Um... what teams message board am I on again? :confused:

Texan Asylum
10-11-2006, 12:32 PM
Um... what teams message board am I on again? :confused:

Ummm...what HE said!
:confused:

Let's go hang out at the Cowboys' MB. I was ALWAYS one to crash a get together.:wild:

On second thought...:rolleyes:

San Antonio Texan
10-11-2006, 01:21 PM
Im really going to miss that ol 31 yr. old stadium when its done with, so many memories. Like when TO got knocked down by George Teague in the middle of the star, the great 1979 battle between the Skins vs. Dallas, winner takes division, I'll never forget that one. Or the famous line " We left the hole there so God could watch his favorite team " And what about when Emmitt Smith hit the jackpot and became the NFL's all time leading rusher
Any more you guys can think of?

Your bio says you are 16?

If that is the case, sounds like you are trying to impress poeple here with things you have never experienced. Lets see 16 years old would mean you were born in 1990.

So tell me how did YOU like the 79' skins cowboys game?

I am assuming you come here to post due to the fact that there is no intelligent discussion on the Cowboy forums.

Please go back to your playpen.

Bud Adams
10-11-2006, 01:50 PM
My only true regret is that the good people of Dallas never finished installing the tank and seat. Then they could have flushed the thing from time to time.

Huge
10-11-2006, 02:32 PM
Yeah, I remember going to that cauldron for a team-building exercise with my myopic at-the-time-manager in '99. Two of the ladies in my district passed out from the heat and another had to be taken to the hospital for mild hyperthermia.
Remember the game (http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/recap/NFL_20050918_PIT@HOU) played in Houston last year against the Steelers? When the Houston organization thought it'd be a good idea to keep the roof open despite the 90+ temperatures outside/110+ degrees inside and have the Steelers wear their black jerseys so the Texans would have an edge?

Yeah, that worked out great. How many fans were left in the stadium past half-time?

At least our excuse was poor engineering dating back to the 60's. What's your excuse?

I remember as a kid driving 30 miles out of our way so that we could drive by Texas Stadium. Other than that, I've never been in/up close to the thing.

Listing the memories of games on tv would take too long.
I posted that back in '04. Since then, I've been to one pre-season game and one regular season game (Sunday will be my 2nd).

I'll always have the memories but it's time that thing came down.

eric138
10-11-2006, 02:43 PM
I remember that time in '02 when the cowboys went back to the Texas Stadium crying like little b it ches because America's team go their arses handed to them by Texas' team. Ahhh fond memories.

Huge
10-11-2006, 03:13 PM
See the difference between the two franchises?

...the great 1979 battle between the Skins vs. Dallas, winner takes division,...
I remember that time in '02 when the cowboys went back to the Texas Stadium crying like little b it ches because America's team go their arses handed to them by Texas' team. Ahhh fond memories.
One franchise can look back on victories that settled division championships. The other can look back on a victory over a 5-11 team.

Muhahaha!

HowBoutThemCowboys!
10-11-2006, 05:53 PM
Your bio says you are 16?

If that is the case, sounds like you are trying to impress poeple here with things you have never experienced. Lets see 16 years old would mean you were born in 1990.

So tell me how did YOU like the 79' skins cowboys game?

I am assuming you come here to post due to the fact that there is no intelligent discussion on the Cowboy forums.

Please go back to your playpen.

Embracing the history bud, embracing the history. I would be somewhat selfish if I didn't include a memory back in the Roger the Dodger days, especially since this game is considered by many to be the finest match ever played in Texas Stadium.

But hey, you got a point.. Especially considering I wrote this 2 years ago, it certaintly doesn't help my case of sounding like I'm 16. :D

GuerillaBlack
10-11-2006, 07:05 PM
Copy and pasted post from somewhere else maybe?

StarStruck
10-11-2006, 09:14 PM
My only true regret is that the good people of Dallas never finished installing the tank and seat. Then they could have flushed the thing from time to time.

It appears that the new home is going to be so grand that they are using tarps and keeping the design a top secret. The unveiling should be great. Before the website was closed, the prelim plans included a 75K stadium with no endzone seats, but seats could be moved in to increase the seating capacity to 100K, also legends park, restaurants and hotels to make a visit to the park a full day event. Sounds awesome!

cowboyznut
10-11-2006, 11:46 PM
I've been to texas stadium five or six times though I live in Ohio....done the stadium tour a few times so I've had the chance to stand on the star and look up...at the ring of honor...a view and a feeling I will never forget

http://www.dallascowboyfansunited.com/forums/index.php?referrerid=93

Texan_Bill
10-12-2006, 08:31 AM
I'm sorry Texas Stadium isn't as luxurious and renovated as the Texan's oh-so precious Reliant Stadium, but it gets the job done. I'm sorry that your "ladies" couldn't stand the heat, but the stadium's name is called Texas Stadium, so what did you expect? The frozen tundra? Quit your huffing and puffing and drink some water.

The Cowboys were a step ahead of their time back then. The Cowboys once again were pioneers for their time. I'm just glad our failed expirement back in the 60s, wasn't one where the team moved to Tennesse.

We are only three years away from quite possibly the finest facility in the great sporting world, the 9th wonder of the World-- Cowboys Park. While Cowboys Park wil only be created 6 years after Reliant, it will literally seem light years ahead. 100,000 capacity, theme park and Cowboys HOF outside, Steel beams space-ship like design from the exterior, large video boards peppering the outside, and too bad for you-- the rectatable roof concept will be made to include the hole in the roof.

wtf with bringing up a two year thread?

Nope, your original team moved to Kansas City..... And what may I ask is so ahead of its time regarding that toilet bowl? I guess its not finishing the roof..... in some way is that supposed to be avant garde? Face it, its a dump and it always has been a dump. PERIOD!

HOU-TEX
10-12-2006, 12:00 PM
I've been to texas stadium five or six times though I live in Ohio....done the stadium tour a few times so I've had the chance to stand on the star and look up...at the ring of honor...a view and a feeling I will never forget]

More like a giant sphincter.

GuerillaBlack
10-12-2006, 04:43 PM
It appears that the new home is going to be so grand that they are using tarps and keeping the design a top secret. The unveiling should be great. Before the website was closed, the prelim plans included a 75K stadium with no endzone seats, but seats could be moved in to increase the seating capacity to 100K, also legends park, restaurants and hotels to make a visit to the park a full day event. Sounds awesome!

Sounds a lot like what is already available at Reliant. Your just a rail stop away from a lot of things. Then, once that thing on Astroworld gets going (I heard the Dynamo might build there stadium there), or it would be some kind off hotel, restaurant, fun stuff.

StarStruck
10-12-2006, 04:48 PM
Sounds a lot like what is already available at Reliant. Your just a rail stop away from a lot of things. Then, once that thing on Astroworld gets going (I heard the Dynamo might build there stadium there), or it would be some kind off hotel, restaurant, fun stuff.

That would be great. I like the idea of having multiple services and attractions on the same property.

HowBoutThemCowboys!
10-12-2006, 04:53 PM
Nope, your original team moved to Kansas City..... And what may I ask is so ahead of its time regarding that toilet bowl? I guess its not finishing the roof..... in some way is that supposed to be avant garde? Face it, its a dump and it always has been a dump. PERIOD!

The Cowboys never moved to Kansas City.. Clint Murchinson Jr. bought the Cowboys in 1960 and since then has never moved.

GuerillaBlack
10-12-2006, 05:38 PM
No, the moved to KC. A new team was then formed, and was called the Cowboys.

HowBoutThemCowboys!
10-12-2006, 05:43 PM
No, the moved to KC. A new team was then formed, and was called the Cowboys.

What are you talking about? The Dallas Texans were the cross-town rivals as far as ticket sales go from 1960 to 1962. The Cowboys were in the NFL and the Texan's were in the AFL. After 1962, owner of the Texan's-- Lamar Hunt, moved the Texans to Kansas City..

The Kansas City Chiefs are a professional American football team based in Kansas City, Missouri. They are currently members of the Western Division of the American Football Conference (AFC) in the National Football League (NFL). The Chiefs conduct summer training camp at University of Wisconsin-River Falls.

Originally called the Dallas Texans, the club was founded in 1960 as a charter member of the American Football League. The team moved to Kansas City and became the Chiefs in 1963 after then-Kansas City mayor H. Roe Bartle guaranteed to the team that they would have increased ticket sales. The Chiefs then joined the NFL as part of the AFL-NFL Merger.

GuerillaBlack
10-12-2006, 05:53 PM
I stand corrected then. I thought the Texans moved, then a new owner brought the Cowboys.

AmarilloTexan
10-15-2006, 01:04 PM
"Like when TO got knocked down by George Teague in the middle of the star"

God, I remember that like it was yesterday, One of the best memories ill have.

bigcarlos
10-15-2006, 01:39 PM
Ummm...what HE said!
:confused:
Yeah..what they said