PDA

View Full Version : Texans are winning back fans with OPTIMISM!!

Zac
04-01-2006, 09:53 PM
This has to be the best off season the Texans have had since the inception of the team.

Now the Texans aren't just happy bringing football back to Houston, they are conducting their business with the end goal in mind being "Wins".

The new Coaching Staff has brought an optimism that hasn't been seen here before the first game was played. "There was optimism after the 7-9 season, but it faded quickly"

Now the FA signed this season have impressed almost everyone except John McClain of the Houston Chronicle.

And the Texans will have the top pick of the 1st 2nd and top 2 picks of the 3rd round. Those 4 players should all be at some point in their careers starters and quality reserve players.

The future looks bright. And it's through optimism that is being sparked by this off season. Started by the signing of Kubiak and his coaching staff.

Go Texans :redtowel:

Double Barrel
04-01-2006, 10:17 PM
You've got a right to be optimistic, Zac. Don't let anyone steal your joy.

I feel better about this next season as much as I have about the first four, so why not drink some of the koolaide. I feel optimistic, too, but I temper it with a realistic perspective in order to avoid over-inflating my expectations. I look forward to the draft and getting to the pre-season so we can start seeing some of Kubiak's plans going into action.

Bobo
04-01-2006, 10:28 PM
You've got a right to be optimistic, Zac. Don't let anyone steal your joy.

I feel better about this next season as much as I have about the first four, so why not drink some of the koolaide. I feel optimistic, too, but I temper it with a realistic perspective in order to avoid over-inflating my expectations. I look forward to the draft and getting to the pre-season so we can start seeing some of Kubiak's plans going into action.

At least you are tempering your overview with a little reality. However, as I have said, I do not share your optimism nor enthusiasm. I was as you were -- very excited about this team and hoping to see improvement the first four seasons, which I did see except for the last one. I view it as totally unfair and unwise that they fired Capers after one bad season. Then they bring in a guy with no experience who hires a staff that is just as green as he is who goes about tinkering with positions that don't need tinkering with while giving token attention to obvious needs. At this point, I am now simply looking forward to seeing NFL football start up again as I don't support either the new head coach nor the direction he is taking the team. He'll have to get his iron lungs from somewhere else -- and judging from the half-empty stadiums during the last several home games of last year, that kind of support is not a given.

mike moffat
04-01-2006, 10:39 PM
We have to be optimistic. That's our nature as Texans! I too am looking forward to the new season. Maybe hiring Kubiak was a good thing.I think that it was. Maybe the green coaching staff can accomplish their goals just because they are green. I am hoping for the best for the team. I am going to support them until proven otherwise.:texflag:

Double Barrel
04-01-2006, 10:39 PM
Well, Bobo, it's the ol' glass half empty / half full choice. I certainly understand the darker perspective of pessimistic expectations, especially growing up an Oiler fan.

However, as a diehard Texans fanatic, I feel it is my obligation to choose a positive and hopeful point-of-view at the beginning of every new season. I will always anchor my feet on the ground with realistic understanding, but I have to maintain a hope for the best just to keep it fun. If I'm going to assume that we will suck every year, what is the point of it all? idonno:

C'mon, man, you know you're thirsty. Just try a sip of the koolaide. :redtowel:

TexansLucky13
04-01-2006, 10:46 PM
We have to be optimistic. That's our nature as Texans! I too am looking forward to the new season. Maybe hiring Kubiak was a good thing.I think that it was. Maybe the green coaching staff can accomplish their goals just because they are green. I am hoping for the best for the team. I am going to support them until proven otherwise.:texflag:

I agree. It's the fresh minds on the sidelines and upstairs that will be driving the bull next season. I have a lot of optimism for the next season.

Bobo
04-01-2006, 11:37 PM
Well, Bobo, it's the ol' glass half empty / half full choice. I certainly understand the darker perspective of pessimistic expectations, especially growing up an Oiler fan.

However, as a diehard Texans fanatic, I feel it is my obligation to choose a positive and hopeful point-of-view at the beginning of every new season. I will always anchor my feet on the ground with realistic understanding, but I have to maintain a hope for the best just to keep it fun. If I'm going to assume that we will suck every year, what is the point of it all? idonno:

C'mon, man, you know you're thirsty. Just try a sip of the koolaide. :redtowel:

The point of it all is the game, the NFL. You can love watching a game without being a fan of a particular team. I've done it off and on for years. I watched the NCAA finals earlier tonight. I wasn't a fan of any of the teams and could care less who won, but I enjoy watching them.

Bobo
04-01-2006, 11:38 PM
I agree. It's the fresh minds on the sidelines and upstairs that will be driving the bull next season. I have a lot of optimism for the next season.

Problem is, the guy on the sidelines spent most of his time upstairs for the last nine years. I have a lot of pessimism for the next season.

TexansLucky13
04-01-2006, 11:39 PM
Problem is, the guy on the sidelines spent most of his time upstairs for the last nine years. I have a lot of pessimism for the next season.

Hey, this is the optimism thread. Be gone!

Go Texans!

Bobo
04-01-2006, 11:48 PM

I didn't see much optimism from Houston fans two games into last season. I saw a lot of pessimism then. I see just as much, if not more, reason for pessimism this coming year. Our nature as Texans is not to be optimistic -- it's to play the blame game and get rid of folks before you give them a chance to bounce back. Thank goodness for Seattle and Pittsburgh that those characteristics aren't in their nature!! Capers and his staff were experienced, so they weren't going to make rookie mistakes. Kubiak and his staff are rookies so they will have a tendency to make boneheaded first-year faux pas in addition to the regular mistakes -- and they have already lived up to that expectation. I am not supporting this coach -- he's taking the team down the wrong path and I'm not going to board a train that is headed in the opposite direction of where it should be going. Instead, I'll go to Reliant and just sit back, drink the $3 bottled water, munch on the $4.50 Red River Dog and watch what I've enjoyed for more than 40 years now -- NFL football. Period. Won't get excited, won't yell, scream or cheer for the home team or any of that. Just enjoy watching the NFL and be thankful that McNair brought a team here so we can enjoy the league -- even though he doesn't have the slightest idea of how to run it.

Bobo
04-01-2006, 11:49 PM
Hey, this is the optimism thread. Be gone!

Go Texans!

You mean the rose-colored glasses thread.

TexansLucky13
04-02-2006, 12:08 AM
I didn't see much optimism from Houston fans two games into last season. I saw a lot of pessimism then. I see just as much, if not more, reason for pessimism this coming year. Our nature as Texans is not to be optimistic -- it's to play the blame game and get rid of folks before you give them a chance to bounce back. Thank goodness for Seattle and Pittsburgh that those characteristics aren't in their nature!! Capers and his staff were experienced, so they weren't going to make rookie mistakes. Kubiak and his staff are rookies so they will have a tendency to make boneheaded first-year faux pas in addition to the regular mistakes -- and they have already lived up to that expectation. I am not supporting this coach -- he's taking the team down the wrong path and I'm not going to board a train that is headed in the opposite direction of where it should be going. Instead, I'll go to Reliant and just sit back, drink the $3 bottled water, munch on the $4.50 Red River Dog and watch what I've enjoyed for more than 40 years now -- NFL football. Period. Won't get excited, won't yell, scream or cheer for the home team or any of that. Just enjoy watching the NFL and be thankful that McNair brought a team here so we can enjoy the league -- even though he doesn't have the slightest idea of how to run it.

I have sat back and looked objectively at this situation. The only things ive collected from your intellect so far is as follows:

1)You are obsessed with Dom Capers. His philosophy, to you, was going to benefit the long-run, but was bagged on a bad season.

2)You say that Holmgren and Cowhers should have been yanked for their bad seasons. You resent it that the short-sighted McNair took this chance to get a pick-up on ticket sales by bringing a new optimism by grabbing a new coach.

3)Kubiak has done absolutely NOTHING right so far. He is a flop and he will lead the Texans to worse than a 2-14 season. He has overloaded the Offense with pass-oriented players and neglected the line.

Here are the faults in your ideas-

1)Capers is gone. Bagged. Cut. Fired. His philosophy was too conservative and he was only brought here because of his experience with expansion teams, like the Panthers. He couldn't cut it in the NFL as a HC. It's tough, but true. He may have more luck as OC at Miami. Yay.

2)Holmgrens worst season was a 6-10. Cowhers worst season was a 6-10. A 2-14 attracts some negative attention. Stop acting like Capers got a bad rap. He was lucky to finish out the season. Holmgren also has a SB Ring!! Capers has nothing. Stop acting like these two coaches got some kind of executive treatment.

3) Kubiak used the FA to build up options for a long suppressed David Carr, so that relief can be found by him as well as AJ. TE, 2 WR who can get open and give him options. Good. He added Flanagan to the line. This helps the center, and moves McKinney to a more familiar spot. The draft is reserved for OT such as D'Brick (if we trade down) or McNeil in the 2nd round. This improves our line. The off-season is not over, stop acting like it!

Thanks!

Bobo
04-02-2006, 12:30 AM
I have sat back and looked objectively at this situation. The only things ive collected from your intellect so far is as follows:

1)You are obsessed with Dom Capers. His philosophy, to you, was going to benefit the long-run, but was bagged on a bad season.

2)You say that Holmgren and Cowhers should have been yanked for their bad seasons. You resent it that the short-sighted McNair took this chance to get a pick-up on ticket sales by bringing a new optimism by grabbing a new coach.

3)Kubiak has done absolutely NOTHING right so far. He is a flop and he will lead the Texans to worse than a 2-14 season. He has overloaded the Offense with pass-oriented players and neglected the line.

Here are the faults in your ideas-

1)Capers is gone. Bagged. Cut. Fired. His philosophy was too conservative and he was only brought here because of his experience with expansion teams, like the Panthers. He couldn't cut it in the NFL as a HC. It's tough, but true. He may have more luck as OC at Miami. Yay.

2)Holmgrens worst season was a 6-10. Cowhers worst season was a 6-10. A 2-14 attracts some negative attention. Stop acting like Capers got a bad rap. He was lucky to finish out the season. Holmgren also has a SB Ring!! Capers has nothing. Stop acting like these two coaches got some kind of executive treatment.

3) Kubiak used the FA to build up options for a long suppressed David Carr, so that relief can be found by him as well as AJ. TE, 2 WR who can get open and give him options. Good. He added Flanagan to the line. This helps the center, and moves McKinney to a more familiar spot. The draft is reserved for OT such as D'Brick (if we trade down) or McNeil in the 2nd round. This improves our line. The off-season is not over, stop acting like it!

Thanks!

1.) Capers was a good coach and was right for this team, as I have shown in previous posts. And yes, I am obsessed with keeping good coaches. When they fire a good one and hire an inexperienced, green one whose accomplishments are limited, it turns me off when I am paying the kind of money I am paying for season tickets. 2.) You should read very carefully what I say before making comments about it. I said if you fire Capers for one bad year, then Holmgren and Cowher should have been fired for the same reason before their SB runs. My point is, just like it would have been a mistake to fire Cowher and Holmgren over one bad season, it was a mistake to fire Capers. 3.) If the goal is a "pick-up" in ticket sales, there are plenty of ways to do that without firing a coach. You can give away stuff for one -- or reduce the amount of clothing on your cheeleading squad for another. 4.) I never said Kubiak would lead the team to a season worse than 2-14. What I did say is he would lead the team to three more years of between three and five wins a season and never experience the success that Capers did. And I never said he didn't do anything right since I believe I saw a picture of him where he put his hat on straight for his press conference announcing his hiring. Good for him. 5.) The fact is, a record of 6-10 for the Steelers and Seahawks is just as bad, if not worse, than 2-14 for the Texans since the Steelers and Seahawks had been around a long time and were much better teams than were the Texans. Capers did get a bad rap, and if you don't see it then you are either failing or forgetting to recognize where he took this team during his first three years. Holmgren got a SB ring, but did he do it with an expansion team that he had to stock himself? Uh, I don;t think so. 6.) Your statement about Capers is untrue. Capers was a good coach who did very well with an expansion team for three years before he had one bad year -- just like Holmgren and Cowher did. He got a bad rap and was treated very poorly. There's no telling what he could have done with this team if he would have been given a chance to right the ship. 7.) Kubiak added an old guy to the line who won't be around long and will just have to be replaced before the Texans regain competitive status. His other additions are either cosmetic (Cook, Rosenfelds) or ludicrous (Walter, Putzier). And why you think McKinney is going to suffice when he hasn't done very well up to now simply by placing him in a different location on the same offensive line is a mystery to me.

el toro
04-02-2006, 12:38 AM

I'm glad we had Capers to make the veteran mistakes over and over and over again.

If the season's already over, spend your time on something fun. That is, if you can stand not being bitter.

Hervoyel
04-02-2006, 12:42 AM
Honestly Bobo I question whether or not you even understand what you're looking at when it comes to the Houston Texans and their actions since the Monday following their last game. You either don't understand what's happening or you're being intentionally obtuse in order to stir the pot IMO.

TexansLucky13
04-02-2006, 12:44 AM
1.) Capers was a good coach and was right for this team, as I have shown in previous posts. And yes, I am obsessed with keeping good coaches. When they fire a good one and hire an inexperienced, green one whose accomplishments are limited, it turns me off when I am paying the kind of money I am paying for season tickets. 2.) You should read very carefully what I say before making comments about it. I said if you fire Capers for one bad year, then Holmgren and Cowher should have been fired for the same reason before their SB runs. My point is, just like it would have been a mistake to fire Cowher and Holmgren over one bad season, it was a mistake to fire Capers. 3.) If the goal is a "pick-up" in ticket sales, there are plenty of ways to do that without firing a coach. You can give away stuff for one -- or reduce the amount of clothing on your cheeleading squad for another. 4.) I never said Kubiak would lead the team to a season worse than 2-14. What I did say is he would lead the team to three more years of between three and five wins a season and never experience the success that Capers did. And I never said he didn't do anything right since I believe I saw a picture of him where he put his hat on straight for his press conference announcing his hiring. Good for him. 5.) The fact is, a record of 6-10 for the Steelers and Seahawks is just as bad, if not worse, than 2-14 for the Texans since the Steelers and Seahawks had been around a long time and were much better teams than were the Texans. Capers did get a bad rap, and if you don't see it then you are either failing or forgetting to recognize where he took this team during his first three years. Holmgren got a SB ring, but did he do it with an expansion team that he had to stock himself? Uh, I don;t think so. 6.) Your statement about Capers is untrue. Capers was a good coach who did very well with an expansion team for three years before he had one bad year -- just like Holmgren and Cowher did. He got a bad rap and was treated very poorly. There's no telling what he could have done with this team if he would have been given a chance to right the ship. 7.) Kubiak added an old guy to the line who won't be around long and will just have to be replaced before the Texans regain competitive status. His other additions are either cosmetic (Cook, Rosenfelds) or ludicrous (Walter, Putzier). And why you think McKinney is going to suffice when he hasn't done very well up to now simply by placing him in a different location on the same offensive line is a mystery to me.

This is the only response to this.

1) Dom Capers was here to create the expansion Texans. He WAS a good coach. I have told you repeated (though you never seem to learn anything) that I never wanted to see him go. But just the same, I am realistic in that I understand the modern NFL. Get over it!
2) A 2-14 with our strength of schedule was pathetic. A 6-10 for Cowhers is something that can be overlooked, regardless of what you attempt to explain about how long the team has been around. They both had consistent success. A 2-14 shows that whatever Dom was doing for the team 3 years before '05 obviously was not working. Would you expect a team to shape up in 3 years? Why wouldnt you! There is NO position that requires that much patience, other than QB. Carr did what he could, but a rookie as a starter for an expansion team? What did you expect?
3) How do you explain that the O-line is bad this year? And last year? You blame that on Kubiak, maybe? No way. Capers overlooked it. It was folly on his part, and its his fault for the condition of the team. Period.
4) Flanagan is an immediate fix to a problem that needed fixing. Who cares if he is gone in 2 years? Most mock drafts show us picking up a Center in the 3rd round. Go read up, buddy.
5) Putzier was a perfect addition. You prefer Billy Miller? Or an injury proned Joppru? Bruener?? You must be joking! TE problems has been a PLAGUE on the Texans! Kubiak is familiar with him and knows how to use him.
6) Carr now has options downfield. Did Capers EVER want to do that for him? No! Why is it so bad, anyways? You must just not like David. Stop it.

Bobo
04-02-2006, 12:47 AM
Honestly Bobo I question whether or not you even understand what you're looking at when it comes to the Houston Texans and their actions since the Monday following their last game. You either don't understand what's happening or you're being intentionally obtuse in order to stir the pot IMO.

And in the same way, I honestly don't understand how people can forget what Capers did for this team and this town during the first three years and fire him like they did. He was a good coach and a good leader who had one bad year with a fourth-season expansion team and he got the bum's rush. That to me was very unwise and unfair as well.

Hervoyel
04-02-2006, 12:55 AM
And in the same way, I honestly don't understand how people can forget what Capers did for this team and this town during the first three years and fire him like they did. He was a good coach and a good leader who had one bad year with a fourth-season expansion team and he got the bum's rush. That to me was very unwise and unfair as well.

What Capers did for this team? I'll tell you exactly what Capers did for this team. He took the "First Coach" hickey that is 99.9% inevitable with any expansion team. For that I take my hat off to him but that's about where my applause stops. He hired and then stood by some of the crappiest assistant coaches that could be found and I would argue that the only reason the Texans came within sniffing distance of .500 on his watch was because of Chris Palmer and the "relatively level" amount of talent in the NFL. For crying out loud man Dom is known for defense and our defense was horrible. They were horrible year after year.

You have this man up on some sort of pedestal and I guess that's understandable since you're really a Titans fan anyway and would probably prefer to see the team muddling around south of .500 for as long as possible

You're just stirring the pot Bobo and I'm being stupid enough to feed your troll.

TexansLucky13
04-02-2006, 12:57 AM
What Capers did for this team? I'll tell you exactly what Capers did for this team. He took the "First Coach" hickey that is 99.9% inevitable with any expansion team. For that I take my hat off to him but that's about where my applause stops. He hired and then stood by some of the crappiest assistant coaches that could be found and I would argue that the only reason the Texans came within sniffing distance of .500 on his watch was because of Chris Palmer and the "relatively level" amount of talent in the NFL. For crying out loud man Dom is known for defense and our defense was horrible. They were horrible year after year.

You have this man up on some sort of pedestal and I guess that's understandable since you're really a Titans fan anyway and would probably prefer to see the team muddling around south of .500 for as long as possible

You're just stirring the pot Bobo and I'm being stupid enough to feed your troll.

I've fed into it a good bit, and for that I apologize. But I cant resist the urge to correct it, especially when some of his facts are just plain wrong!

HJam72
04-02-2006, 01:01 AM
I really can't believe that Bobo is even serious about anything he says on this board. I'm afraid he may be my split personality. Sorry. :)

Bobo
04-02-2006, 01:09 AM
This is the only response to this.

1) Dom Capers was here to create the expansion Texans. He WAS a good coach. I have told you repeated (though you never seem to learn anything) that I never wanted to see him go. But just the same, I am realistic in that I understand the modern NFL. Get over it!
2) A 2-14 with our strength of schedule was pathetic. A 6-10 for Cowhers is something that can be overlooked, regardless of what you attempt to explain about how long the team has been around. They both had consistent success. A 2-14 shows that whatever Dom was doing for the team 3 years before '05 obviously was not working. Would you expect a team to shape up in 3 years? Why wouldnt you! There is NO position that requires that much patience, other than QB. Carr did what he could, but a rookie as a starter for an expansion team? What did you expect?
3) How do you explain that the O-line is bad this year? And last year? You blame that on Kubiak, maybe? No way. Capers overlooked it. It was folly on his part, and its his fault for the condition of the team. Period.
4) Flanagan is an immediate fix to a problem that needed fixing. Who cares if he is gone in 2 years? Most mock drafts show us picking up a Center in the 3rd round. Go read up, buddy.
5) Putzier was a perfect addition. You prefer Billy Miller? Or an injury proned Joppru? Bruener?? You must be joking! TE problems has been a PLAGUE on the Texans! Kubiak is familiar with him and knows how to use him.
6) Carr now has options downfield. Did Capers EVER want to do that for him? No! Why is it so bad, anyways? You must just not like David. Stop it.

A.) The modern-day NFL does not call for a good coach to be fired, just like it did not call for Holmgren or Cowher to be fired. Pittsburgh and Seattle stood firm with their coaches and were rewarded. Houston did not. B.) The consensus opinion on last year's sked was that it was a killer. I predicted eight wins last year before I saw it. But when I saw it, I immediately dropped my projection to five. C.) You seem to fail to see the difference between a brand new expansion team and a team that has been around for years and years. It seems obvious that the team that has been around for so long has had many years to build up an infrastructure in not only all phases of the game but the business end as well. I don't understand how you can't grasp that concept -- it seems pretty simple. D.) I have already stated that Capers left the line alone because, with new guys there, you have to give it time to gel. That's why he didn't do much with it and held the TE in because he knew they needed help in the meantime. That was a calculated risk by Capers. It didn't work, obviously, but his philosophy was understandable. As for the "condition of the team," the team did very well in the first three years for an expansion team. So when you say it was "his fault," maybe you should say it was to his credit. He had one bad year, but so did the two SB coaches this year and they righted their ships. Capers wasn't even given the chance to right his. E.) Mock drafts are never right. I don't know why you even read them. F.) Flanagan is not a longterm solution and that's what the Texans need, not a guy who has already been around for 11 years. They need young guys who are going to be around awhile, not someone a team would normally pick up if they are just a guy or two away from contention. G.) Saying Putzier is a perfect addition is just out-and-out laughable. Maybe if you were needing a TE for your fantasy football team, yes, he'd be a good addition. But this is the NFL and the team you are talking about is the Texans who need every body they can get to protect Carr. Weakening the already unstable and unsteady pass blocking for Carr will only make matters worse. Kubiak being familiar with him when the team doesn't need him makes me wonder if there isn't out-and-out cronyism going on, especially when you take into account the history of his assistants. H.) The problem was never a lack of options. The problem was getting the ball to those options. Johnson, Gaffney, Armstrong and Davis were good options. Weakening the pass protection to bring in a pass-catching TE is pretty silly and ludicrous. Kubiak needs to recognize he isn't an assistant coach for the Broncs anymore -- a team that's been around a long time and has had a long history of seeing OLs come and go. He is HC of the Houston Texans, a three-year team that has had huge problems protecting the QB. We are in for a long, long season. But I'm prepared. Doesn't sound like you are, though.

texasguy346
04-02-2006, 01:12 AM

It's definately tough to resist the urge to feed a troll like Bobo, but it's probably best for all of us to say ByeBye to Bobo and put him on our faithful ignore list. I've yet to put a poster on ignore, but Bobo might just be the first to earn that honor.

wolf123
04-02-2006, 01:13 AM
Bobo,

One of the main questions that everyone wants to hear your side on is Who should Kubiac have picked up in FA to address the OL in your opinion?

Secondly, another question that a previous poster asked you was Has Kubiac done anything right this offseason, in your opinion?

If you would address these questions, it would be greatly appreciated.

Also, not to dredge up hurt feelings about the loss of Capers do to his failure here, but have you not noticed that Capers set up his Texans team to utilize a pass catching TE in Billy Miller. The next season they even spent a second round pick on another pass-catching TE threat in Bennie Joppru. Now that Kubiac does the same, picking up a decent pass-catching/average blocking TE in Putz, who is familiar with Kube;s system, is stupid is a contradicting argument. Remember that, when a TE does leave the line on a quick route, usually that takes away a blitzer, and if not, leaves a fast option as the TE do dump to for a good 4-6 yards

Bobo
04-02-2006, 01:25 AM
Bobo,

One of the main questions that everyone wants to hear your side on is Who should Kubiac have picked up in FA to address the OL in your opinion?

Secondly, another question that a previous poster asked you was Has Kubiac done anything right this offseason, in your opinion?

Also, not to dredge up hurt feelings about the loss of Capers do to his failure here, but have you not noticed that Capers set up his Texans team to utilize a pass catching TE in Billy Miller. The next season they even spent a second round pick on another pass-catching TE threat in Bennie Joppru. Now that Kubiac does the same, picking up a decent pass-catching/average blocking TE in Putz, who is familiar with Kube;s system, is stupid is a contradicting argument. Remember that, when a TE does leave the line on a quick route, usually that takes away a blitzer, and if not, leaves a fast option as the TE do dump to for a good 4-6 yards

Already answered this in "How will Kubiak do" thread.

wolf123
04-02-2006, 01:28 AM
thanks...i appreciate it

TexansLucky13
04-02-2006, 01:32 AM
Bobo,

All true. To say that Kubiak has done nothing that Capers would have done himself is just being a troll with too much time on your hands.

You should rethink a lot of things here. It is heard directly from Kubiak that there will be two OL picked up, a Center and an OT. You should read the mock drafts to at least see some names, otherwise you have no argument in this case, and do not bring it up to me again if that is so.

You are mixing up the ideas of Capers being a good coach. When I think of a good coach, it is someone who can convert a love for his team and dedication to a philosophy into success on the field. Dom Capers was, in his heart of hearts, an awesome coach. He knew what needed to be done, and he had his own philosophy. Those are good things! But he could not convert it into consistent success, and often his vision was too vague for his players to benefit. By that, I am saying that he was not fit for the Texans. Yes, I will say it. The team he built was not the one that he understood. It's not all his fault. He had good intentions... but you know what they say about that.

So are you saying that older teams HAVE to have successful seasons? Why don't you look at the numbers.... for every 13-3 Colts and Seahawks, there has to be a 3-13 unfortunate team. (they dont have to have those numbers exactly, but the 32 teams will all add up to 8-8 average) Someone has to lose. That is the game. So to say that an old team HAS to have success is ridiculous. What about the 49ers? They didnt just roll up on the floormat last night. Your mindset here is unexplainable.

Double Barrel
04-02-2006, 01:52 AM
The point of it all is the game, the NFL. You can love watching a game without being a fan of a particular team.

ahhhh, the difference between a casual fan and a hardcore fanatic. :ok:

That's cool, you're a man without a team, so you can just take potshots at everyone else's teams. I honestly think it's a lot more fun to have a little emotion investment in your own team, tho'. But to each his own and all that jazz.

Bobo
04-02-2006, 03:15 AM
ahhhh, the difference between a casual fan and a hardcore fanatic. :ok:

That's cool, you're a man without a team, so you can just take potshots at everyone else's teams. I honestly think it's a lot more fun to have a little emotion investment in your own team, tho'. But to each his own and all that jazz.

Um, I am a season ticketholder and I think that gives me the right to speak forthrightly about the team I am paying my money to -- whether I cheer for it or not. And I think even the Texans would agree to that. I am not anti-Texans now. I am just neutral. I will not go to Reliant stadium and root against them. I just won't cheer for them or buy their merchandise. I am a hardcore fan, though -- a hardcore fan of the NFL. I have been that way for years and always will be. If I lived in Carolina or Cincy or Cleveland, I would try to get season tickets just to watch the games. I may not care about the team at all, but I love watching the NFL in person. I was a Texans fan for four years and I felt awful last year everytime they lost -- probably even worse than Capers felt. Honestly. But they have lost me this year. I don't dislike them -- I just don't care about them. They still get my season ticket money, but that's it. Well, they may get more dough for that $3 bottled water and that $4.50 hot dog. But no more bringing radios to the game, no more shirts on "Battle Red Day," no more getting hoarse at games, no more high fiving the other folks around me. Just a nice Sunday afternoon at the stadium watching NFL football. Sure, you may be right that it's more fun to have a little emotion invested in a team. But sorry, the emotion is no longer there. I actually am sorry about that -- it feels like I have lost a friend. But it's just not there anymore. I don't even listen to the radio or watch the TV when the coach is on -- heck, I don't even know what he sounds like and not too sure of what he looks like. I simply don't care about him, and if I don't care about him, I can't really get excited about where the team is going.

TexansLucky13
04-02-2006, 03:22 AM
Um, I am a season ticketholder and I think that gives me the right to speak forthrightly about the team I am paying my money to -- whether I cheer for it or not. And I think even the Texans would agree to that. I am not anti-Texans now. I am just neutral. I will not go to Reliant stadium and root against them. I just won't cheer for them or buy their merchandise. I am a hardcore fan, though -- a hardcore fan of the NFL. I have been that way for years and always will be. If I lived in Carolina or Cincy or Cleveland, I would try to get season tickets just to watch the games. I may not care about the team at all, but I love watching the NFL in person. I was a Texans fan for four years and I felt awful last year everytime they lost -- probably even worse than Capers felt. Honestly. But they have lost me this year. I don't dislike them -- I just don't care about them. They still get my season ticket money, but that's it. Well, they may get more dough for that $3 bottled water and that $4.50 hot dog. But no more bringing radios to the game, no more shirts on "Battle Red Day," no more getting hoarse at games, no more high fiving the other folks around me. Just a nice Sunday afternoon at the stadium watching NFL football. Sure, you may be right that it's more fun to have a little emotion invested in a team. But sorry, the emotion is no longer there. I actually am sorry about that -- it feels like I have lost a friend. But it's just not there anymore. I don't even listen to the radio or watch the TV when the coach is on -- heck, I don't even know what he sounds like and not too sure of what he looks like. I simply don't care about him, and if I don't care about him, I can't really get excited about where the team is going.

You know, I personally dont like the feeling that I made an enemy on here. And I felt that way today with you, just exchanges back and forth until we both ran out of ammunition and went in for the knife fight. Ive been kinda a jerk, and I apologize for that.

I feel this way because I can associate with this last post of yours. I never understood your reasons for bashing Kubiak, buts its just the response to the events and the people who inflame it.

The experience I refer to in my own liking here is the Patriots loss of Vinatieri. I have followed the Pats since Bledsoe days, and Vinatieri was always my favorite. A team player, calm, consistent. He was just a great guy. I have a throwback Vinatieri jersey. But I cant bring myself to look at it. I dont want to know an NFL where Adam is a horseshoe. It hurts to think about. I lost respect for him. All for the money... A million extra a year. I dont know.

I do apologize. I see your side of this argument now. And for that, I feel bad for drawing it out this long.

Maybe we can play nice from henceforth?

:)

wolf123
04-02-2006, 03:23 AM
Fair enough...let the man enjoy his overpriced hot dog and bottled water while chillin' at the game. Everyone gets their jollies from something different

Bobo
04-02-2006, 03:25 AM
All true. To say that Kubiak has done nothing that Capers would have done himself is just being a troll with too much time on your hands.

You should rethink a lot of things here. It is heard directly from Kubiak that there will be two OL picked up, a Center and an OT. You should read the mock drafts to at least see some names, otherwise you have no argument in this case, and do not bring it up to me again if that is so.

You are mixing up the ideas of Capers being a good coach. When I think of a good coach, it is someone who can convert a love for his team and dedication to a philosophy into success on the field. Dom Capers was, in his heart of hearts, an awesome coach. He knew what needed to be done, and he had his own philosophy. Those are good things! But he could not convert it into consistent success, and often his vision was too vague for his players to benefit. By that, I am saying that he was not fit for the Texans. Yes, I will say it. The team he built was not the one that he understood. It's not all his fault. He had good intentions... but you know what they say about that.

So are you saying that older teams HAVE to have successful seasons? Why don't you look at the numbers.... for every 13-3 Colts and Seahawks, there has to be a 3-13 unfortunate team. (they dont have to have those numbers exactly, but the 32 teams will all add up to 8-8 average) Someone has to lose. That is the game. So to say that an old team HAS to have success is ridiculous. What about the 49ers? They didnt just roll up on the floormat last night. Your mindset here is unexplainable.

A.) First I hear that Kubiak is going to make all the difference in the world and he is so much better than Capers. Then you say that Capers would do just what Kubiak is doing. OK, I give up. Which is it? B.) They need a lot more OL men than just two out of the draft. And why are they getting another center when they already have Flanagan and McKinney as a backup? More mistakes by the newbie. And folks expect me to cheer about that? C.) The mock drafts are silly. They are always wrong and are a waste of time. You act as though they are some kind of indication of what a team is going to do. They are put together by just a bunch of guys who don't know any more than John McClain. D.) Capers was consistently improving this team from its inception. He had one bad year and got unjustly canned for it. E.) Older teams that have poor seasons are in a lot worse shape than new expansion teams. The older teams have infrastructures and everything else in place. Expansion teams don't. So when an older team has a bad season, it's much worse than when an expansion team that takes its players from the draft and NFL rejects has a bad one. That is only logical.

Ckw
04-02-2006, 03:26 AM
At least you are tempering your overview with a little reality. However, as I have said, I do not share your optimism nor enthusiasm. I was as you were -- very excited about this team and hoping to see improvement the first four seasons, which I did see except for the last one. I view it as totally unfair and unwise that they fired Capers after one bad season. Then they bring in a guy with no experience who hires a staff that is just as green as he is who goes about tinkering with positions that don't need tinkering with while giving token attention to obvious needs. At this point, I am now simply looking forward to seeing NFL football start up again as I don't support either the new head coach nor the direction he is taking the team. He'll have to get his iron lungs from somewhere else -- and judging from the half-empty stadiums during the last several home games of last year, that kind of support is not a given.

Bobo, I want an honest answer from you. You really seem to be really down on the Texans for bringing in a "green" coach. But where do you expect to pick up your teams coach? I understand we would all love to pick up a Bill Belichick, Mike Holmgren, or Dick Vermeil but frankly, there's only so many of those guys to go around. The fact is there's a time when you have to pick up a "green" coach. Besides if no one ever hired a "green" coach, would Jon Gruden have ever become a head coach who led his team to the playoffs in his second season as head coach? You also mention Kubiak having a "green" staff. I am totally blown away by the absurdity of this argument. Are you calling Mike Sherman green? Mike Sherman had the second best winning percentage, next to Vince Lombardi, in his first five seasons as head coach of the Pack. Also, how can you call Kubiak a "green" coach. What more do you want? The guy has been to six Superbowls and won three as an offensive coordinator. I understand he was only an offensive coordinator, but is offense not an area of our game we need help on? He understands how the game of football works. Not only has he coached a hell of a successful Denver team but he also has worked with one of the most brilliant coaches in the game, Mike Shanahan. Plus, he has also played the game as a quarterback, and he knows what those guys are going to go through come game day. Just open your eyes. Your bitterness and your affection for Dom Capers are blinding you and you're about to miss out on possibly the best time the Houston Texans have ever seen. And if Kubiak isn't a success, we try again in another couple of years, but it's at least better than watching Dom Capers destroy our team morale. I give the guy credit for what he has done, but the guy flat out didn't cut it. All I ask is at least allow Kubiak to have a chance. John Gruden could do it, so why not Gary Kubiak? Just think about it and give our team a chance. After all if you're wrong, we could be about to witness some of the best times in Houston football history. Yes, I know I'm 21 but don't think I don't know what love ya blue was all about. I remember the days but they never brought Houston what every city wants: the Super Bowl. Maybe Kubes can do it, maybe he can't. But at least give the "green" guy the chance to be a success. You just might enjoy it. :texflag:

TexansLucky13
04-02-2006, 03:27 AM
Read my previous post.

*Lays down his weapon*

Bobo
04-02-2006, 03:40 AM
Bobo, I want an honest answer from you. You really seem to be really down on the Texans for bringing in a "green" coach. But where do you expect to pick up your teams coach? I understand we would all love to pick up a Bill Belichick, Mike Holmgren, or Dick Vermeil but frankly, there's only so many of those guys to go around. The fact is there's a time when you have to pick up a "green" coach. Besides if no one ever hired a "green" coach, would Jon Gruden have ever become a head coach who led his team to the playoffs in his second season as head coach? You also mention Kubiak having a "green" staff. I am totally blown away by the absurdity of this argument. Are you calling Mike Sherman green? Mike Sherman had the second best winning percentage, next to Vince Lombardi, in his first five seasons as head coach of the Pack. Also, how can you call Kubiak a "green" coach. What more do you want? The guy has been to six Superbowls and won three as an offensive coordinator. I understand he was only an offensive coordinator, but is offense not an area of our game we need help on? He understands how the game of football works. Not only has he coached a hell of a successful Denver team but he also has worked with one of the most brilliant coaches in the game, Mike Shanahan. Plus, he has also played the game as a quarterback, and he knows what those guys are going to go through come game day. Just open your eyes. Your bitterness and your affection for Dom Capers are blinding you and you're about to miss out on possibly the best time the Houston Texans have ever seen. And if Kubiak isn't a success, we try again in another couple of years, but it's at least better than watching Dom Capers destroy our team morale. I give the guy credit for what he has done, but the guy flat out didn't cut it. All I ask is at least allow Kubiak to have a chance. John Gruden could do it, so why not Gary Kubiak? Just think about it and give our team a chance. After all if you're wrong, we could be about to witness some of the best times in Houston football history. Yes, I know I'm 21 but don't think I don't know what love ya blue was all about. I remember the days but they never brought Houston what every city wants: the Super Bowl. Maybe Kubes can do it, maybe he can't. But at least give the "green" guy the chance to be a success. You just might enjoy it. :texflag:

A.) Like I said before, the Texans shouldn't have changed coaches in the first place. Capers was just fine. The fact is when you compare the inexperience of Kubiak with the wisdom of Capers, Kubiak doesn't match up. He is definitely a step backward. Now, if Capers was not improving the team at all in three years then I would have said, "Anybody but Capers." But that wasn't the situation here. B.) I notice you only mentioned Mike Sherman, one of the last guys that was hired due to the fact that the staff was so inexperienced. To say that his staff isn't inexperienced is being disingenuous. C.) Kubiak's accomplishments are limited. Even as an assistant coach, he didn't do all that great when Elway was gone. Everybody is saying he is going to work magic with Carr. Well, he didn't do that with Brian Griese. D.) Again, you must not have been at the KC game when you claim Capers destroyed team morale. If you were present at the game, you would have seen a team that came out revved up even though they were behind big-time at halftime. I'll say this again -- Dom Capers had this team going in the right direction. Yes, he had a bad year, but so did the two SB coaches before this year. To say he didn't cut it is to say Cowher and Holmgren didn't cut it during their 6-10 seasons with teams that were a lot better than the Texans. E.) If you're just 21, then you have a lot to learn about the NFL. I've been watching it almost twice as long as you are old.

TexansLucky13
04-02-2006, 03:43 AM
Did you read my post yet?

"I've been watching it almost twice as long as you are old"

Wow. Makes me feel like fresh fish.

Bobo
04-02-2006, 03:52 AM
Did you read my post yet?

You mean the one about "laying down your weapon?"

wolf123
04-02-2006, 03:54 AM
I respect the fact that you have been enjoying the game for so long and have a plethora of football knowledge, but I do not agree with your bias toward Capers. I was also at the KC game and I witnessed the "fire" that they had, but I have also seen the outbursts by the players attacking the coaching staff and the system that they are supposed to be buying into; and who is responsible for the staff and the system?, None other than the HC, Capers who did nothing to fix it. I agree that the Texans previous 3 seasons were encouraging with a consatnt improvement which had me hoping for something really respectable last season, but you should also notice that Holmgren and Cowher's worst seasons of 6-10 were better than 3 of the 4 first season records the Texans had.

Also, in response to Kubiac targeting a C in the draft, you were just complaining about how old Flanagan is and the fact that we needed someone younger, how is drafting one not helping the situation. And also, McKinney is being moved to G as you know and he will not be regarded as a backup C, if anyone is it would be Hog.

All Ckw5814 was saying is give Kubes some leeway here. He's not making all the mistakes you keep trying to point out. If anything you keep contradicting yourself in your points.

Ckw
04-02-2006, 03:55 AM
A.) First I hear that Kubiak is going to make all the difference in the world and he is so much better than Capers. Then you say that Capers would do just what Kubiak is doing. OK, I give up. Which is it? B.) They need a lot more OL men than just two out of the draft. And why are they getting another center when they already have Flanagan and McKinney as a backup? More mistakes by the newbie. And folks expect me to cheer about that? C.) The mock drafts are silly. They are always wrong and are a waste of time. You act as though they are some kind of indication of what a team is going to do. They are put together by just a bunch of guys who don't know any more than John McClain. D.) Capers was consistently improving this team from its inception. He had one bad year and got unjustly canned for it. E.) Older teams that have poor seasons are in a lot worse shape than new expansion teams. The older teams have infrastructures and everything else in place. Expansion teams don't. So when an older team has a bad season, it's much worse than when an expansion team that takes its players from the draft and NFL rejects has a bad one. That is only logical.

Do you not blame Capers at all for the damage he has done to the offensive line? Expansion teams do not have to do terrible, as you talked about in your earlier posts. Caper's former team, the Panthers, did excellent for an expansion team in their first two seasons. Yet Capers could never pull it off for the Texans. Plus he was also fired by Carolina in 1998. He was obviously doing something wrong in the mind of the owner there. And didn't they just recently go to the Super Bowl without Dom Capers? Are the owner and GM simply uniformed? They saw something they didn't like in Capers and fired him. We recently did the same thing. It's nothing personal. We don't hate him or think he is a terrible person, but he just wasn't taking us in the right direction. It seemed like he was after 2004, but apparently he just couldn't get it done in the offseason and 2005 was a disaster. I wish Dom all the best at Miami, except when we play them of course. But he just didn't cut it for us and our harsh Houston fans. We won't settle for anything less than the best. Call it what you want but I want to see a good football team. I'm sorry if Dom's feelings were hurt after we canned him but after the millions we paid him and whatever he's making over in Miami, I'm pretty sure he'll be alright.

Bobo
04-02-2006, 03:57 AM
You mean the one about "laying down your weapon?"

Yes, I read it. But this goes deeper than just Capers' dismissal. It's also the fact that Kubiak was too inexperienced compared to Capers. If they would have hired someone like Wade Phillips who has NFL ties to Houston and also has NFL head coaching experience, then the dismissal might have been easier to stomach. But to hire someone like Kubiak who seems to be leading the team even deeper into the river, well, sorry, but I'm hopping off before the water gets too deep.

TexansLucky13
04-02-2006, 04:00 AM
Not that one. There was one up there. Here, repost (no one will care... its too early in the morning).

You know, I personally dont like the feeling that I made an enemy on here. And I felt that way today with you, just exchanges back and forth until we both ran out of ammunition and went in for the knife fight. Ive been kinda a jerk, and I apologize for that.

I feel this way because I can associate with this last post of yours (the one about you having lost a friend when Capers left). I never understood your reasons for bashing Kubiak, buts its just the response to the events and the people who inflame it.

The experience I refer to in my own liking here is the Patriots loss of Vinatieri. I have followed the Pats since Bledsoe days, and Vinatieri was always my favorite. A team player, calm, consistent. He was just a great guy. I have a throwback Vinatieri jersey. But I cant bring myself to look at it. I dont want to know an NFL where Adam is a horseshoe. It hurts to think about. I lost respect for him. All for the money... A million extra a year. I dont know.

I do apologize. I see your side of this argument now. And for that, I feel bad for drawing it out this long.

Maybe we can play nice from henceforth?

ledzeppelin229
04-02-2006, 04:03 AM
Umm...the record speaks for itself. Capers doesn't have a golden NFL record by any means. And everyone starts out with an empty slate at some point.

And those incredible assistants that Dom hired compared to the "green" ones Kubiak wants to employ? You mean Vic Fangio, Joe Pendry, Chris Palmer...? Age and experience doesn't mean squat if you're terrible. In fact it starts to count against you...And 2-14 is a pretty significant blow.

Bobo
04-02-2006, 04:06 AM
Do you not blame Capers at all for the damage he has done to the offensive line? Expansion teams do not have to do terrible, as you talked about in your earlier posts. Caper's former team, the Panthers, did excellent for an expansion team in their first two seasons. Yet Capers could never pull it off for the Texans. Plus he was also fired by Carolina in 1998. He was obviously doing something wrong in the mind of the owner there. And didn't they just recently go to the Super Bowl without Dom Capers? Are the owner and GM simply uniformed? They saw something they didn't like in Capers and fired him. We recently did the same thing. It's nothing personal. We don't hate him or think he is a terrible person, but he just wasn't taking us in the right direction. It seemed like he was after 2004, but apparently he just couldn't get it done in the offseason and 2005 was a disaster. I wish Dom all the best at Miami, except when we play them of course. But he just didn't cut it for us and our harsh Houston fans. We won't settle for anything less than the best. Call it what you want but I want to see a good football team. I'm sorry if Dom's feelings were hurt after we canned him but after the millions we paid him and whatever he's making over in Miami, I'm pretty sure he'll be alright.

Capers couldn't "damage" the offensive line -- it has to be somewhat sturdy to damage in the first place. The thing is, like I've said many times before, the Texans could only take NFL rejects and drafts to construct their line -- unlike teams who have been around much longer and have had more time to put things together. Expansion teams have been terrible -- just look at TB that failed to win a game in their first year. That's why Capers' accomplishments with an infant team were so incredible. Capers DID pull it off with the Texans -- he was making slow but steady progress, which is what everybody wanted him to do. Yes, 2005 was a bad year. But you seem to ignore the fact that the two SB coaches this year had awful years too but were given chances to right the ship. Capers never had that opportunity. Houston fans are indeed harsh and that is a bad thing, NOT a good thing because it indicates to me they would have wanted both Cowher and Holmgren fired under similar circumstances. Capers was headed in the right direction and he was getting the team into that "good" area but he was never allowed to finish the job. And I doubt you're going to have the experience you hope for with Kubiak as the coach. I know Capers will be fine. Heck, it's not like he wasn't fired before. It's not him I feel bad for -- it's the team, the franchise, and the whole city of Houston I feel for. They fired a good coach and have set back the franchise many years because of it.

Ckw
04-02-2006, 04:09 AM
A.) Like I said before, the Texans shouldn't have changed coaches in the first place. Capers was just fine. The fact is when you compare the inexperience of Kubiak with the wisdom of Capers, Kubiak doesn't match up. He is definitely a step backward. Now, if Capers was not improving the team at all in three years then I would have said, "Anybody but Capers." But that wasn't the situation here. B.) I notice you only mentioned Mike Sherman, one of the last guys that was hired due to the fact that the staff was so inexperienced. To say that his staff isn't inexperienced is being disingenuous. C.) Kubiak's accomplishments are limited. Even as an assistant coach, he didn't do all that great when Elway was gone. Everybody is saying he is going to work magic with Carr. Well, he didn't do that with Brian Griese. D.) Again, you must not have been at the KC game when you claim Capers destroyed team morale. If you were present at the game, you would have seen a team that came out revved up even though they were behind big-time at halftime. I'll say this again -- Dom Capers had this team going in the right direction. Yes, he had a bad year, but so did the two SB coaches before this year. To say he didn't cut it is to say Cowher and Holmgren didn't cut it during their 6-10 seasons with teams that were a lot better than the Texans. E.) If you're just 21, then you have a lot to learn about the NFL. I've been watching it almost twice as long as you are old.
It sure is disheartening that a man has to watch a game for a certain number of years to fully grasp the intricacies of football. I sure hope I can become old like you soon and finally understand the things of this world. Also you never addressed when you finally think it's okay to hire a "green" coach. Are you just angry because he's too much of a youngin' and doesn't understand the complexities of football? Or better yet, maybe you should take over. I mean with the amount of knowledge you possess for watching football for 42 good long years you'd be perfect for the job. Anyone see the next Bill Walsh? You're lack of recognition of Capers errors truly shows your ignorance. 6-10 is nowhere near 2-14. Last I checked we came in last in the league and for a city that wants to win now, something has to be done and sadly for you, Capers got fired. But that's life man. Not only life in the NFL, but life in the real world. I thought with your age and experience, you would have realized that by now.......

Bobo
04-02-2006, 04:10 AM
Umm...the record speaks for itself. Capers doesn't have a golden NFL record by any means. And everyone starts out with an empty slate at some point.

And those incredible assistants that Dom hired compared to the "green" ones Kubiak wants to employ? You mean Vic Fangio, Joe Pendry, Chris Palmer...? Age and experience doesn't mean squat if you're terrible. In fact it starts to count against you...And 2-14 is a pretty significant blow.

Capers had a fine record with the Texans and you can't deny that since so many people were talking playoffs last year and wouldn't be saying that if the first three years were failures. As far as the assistants go, I didn't hear any complaints during the first three years. They were bad one year and they got the axe. If the Texans had Cowher or Holmgren as their coach, I guess they would have fired them too and lost out on the SB. Doesn't sound like such a bright idea to me.

swtbound07
04-02-2006, 04:12 AM
Capers couldn't "damage" the offensive line -- it has to be somewhat sturdy to damage in the first place. The thing is, like I've said many times before, the Texans could only take NFL rejects and drafts to construct their line -- unlike teams who have been around much longer and have had more time to put things together. Expansion teams have been terrible -- just look at TB that failed to win a game in their first year. That's why Capers' accomplishments with an infant team were so incredible. Capers DID pull it off with the Texans -- he was making slow but steady progress, which is what everybody wanted him to do. Yes, 2005 was a bad year. But you seem to ignore the fact that the two SB coaches this year had awful years too but were given chances to right the ship. Capers never had that opportunity. Houston fans are indeed harsh and that is a bad thing, NOT a good thing because it indicates to me they would have wanted both Cowher and Holmgren fired under similar circumstances. Capers was headed in the right direction and he was getting the team into that "good" area but he was never allowed to finish the job. And I doubt you're going to have the experience you hope for with Kubiak as the coach. I know Capers will be fine. Heck, it's not like he wasn't fired before. It's not him I feel bad for -- it's the team, the franchise, and the whole city of Houston I feel for. They fired a good coach and have set back the franchise many years because of it.

4 years is a long time. The expansion draft, the 1st overall, 3rd overall, 10th overall, and 17th overal selections in the respective draft years are alot of players. 64 games is a lot of football. 4 offseasons, 4 free agency runs, 4 years of fan optimism. However, its not like he had a GOOD team, and after one bad year we cut him. We are talking about 4 years of SUB 500 FOOTBALL. We never had a winning record. Ever. Thats not good bobo. Progress is one direction, regress is another. The year that is supposedly the pinnacle of your plan bottoming out is not a good thing. You say he needed more time to suceed....i suppose you want to give him a few more years to prove he can get it done? Thats the same lousy arguement david carr supporters use...more time, more time, more time. Forget it. He got a shot, which is more than a lot of people get, and he didnt get the job done.

swtbound07
04-02-2006, 04:13 AM
Capers had a fine record with the Texans and you can't deny that since so many people were talking playoffs last year and wouldn't be saying that if the first three years were failures. As far as the assistants go, I didn't hear any complaints during the first three years. They were bad one year and they got the axe. If the Texans had Cowher or Holmgren as their coach, I guess they would have fired them too and lost out on the SB. Doesn't sound like such a bright idea to me.

4-12
5-11
7-9
2-14

Which of those numbers doesnt belong? It seems to me like capers had one OKAY year, and the rest of them he dwelt in the cellar.

Bobo
04-02-2006, 04:17 AM
It sure is disheartening that a man has to watch a game for a certain number of years to fully grasp the intricacies of football. I sure hope I can become old like you soon and finally understand the things of this world. Also you never addressed when you finally think it's okay to hire a "green" coach. Are you just angry because he's too much of a youngin' and doesn't understand the complexities of football? Or better yet, maybe you should take over. I mean with the amount of knowledge you possess for watching football for 42 good long years you'd be perfect for the job. Anyone see the next Bill Walsh? You're lack of recognition of Capers errors truly shows your ignorance. 6-10 is nowhere near 2-14. Last I checked we came in last in the league and for a city that wants to win now, something has to be done and sadly for you, Capers got fired. But that's life man. Not only life in the NFL, but life in the real world. I thought with your age and experience, you would have realized that by now.......

A.) Yep, you have a lot to learn. But stay with it -- the ride is a fun one. B.) I answered your question -- you must learn to read carefully. C.) If you're going to try for sarcasm, you might work at it a bit before you go public with it. It certainly isn't working too well for you here. D.) 6-10 for a team like the Steelers or Seahawks is a lot worse than 2-14 for an expansion team. Maybe you'll learn that later on in life as well. E.) A city that expects to win now with an expansion team is a city with unrealistic expectations. F.) Not sadly for me that Capers got fired. Sadly for you, sadly for the city of Houston and sadly for every football fan that wanted the Texans to win. And that's life in the real world. Keep your nose to the grindstone and maybe you'll learn that lesson.

wolf123
04-02-2006, 04:18 AM
I respect the fact that you have been enjoying the game for so long and have a plethora of football knowledge, but I do not agree with your bias toward Capers. I was also at the KC game and I witnessed the "fire" that they had, but I have also seen the outbursts by the players attacking the coaching staff and the system that they are supposed to be buying into; and who is responsible for the staff and the system?, None other than the HC, Capers who did nothing to fix it. I agree that the Texans previous 3 seasons were encouraging with a consatnt improvement which had me hoping for something really respectable last season, but you should also notice that Holmgren and Cowher's worst seasons of 6-10 were better than 3 of the 4 first season records the Texans had.

Also, in response to Kubiac targeting a C in the draft, you were just complaining about how old Flanagan is and the fact that we needed someone younger, how is drafting one not helping the situation. And also, McKinney is being moved to G as you know and he will not be regarded as a backup C, if anyone is it would be Hog.

All Ckw5814 was saying is give Kubes some leeway here. He's not making all the mistakes you keep trying to point out. If anything you keep contradicting yourself in your points regarding methods Kubiac should have employed to address the huge problem at OL.

wolf123
04-02-2006, 04:19 AM
I understand your Holmgran and Cowher example so you don't have to write it again to combat anything I'm writing

Bobo
04-02-2006, 04:20 AM
4-12
5-11
7-9
2-14

Which of those numbers doesnt belong? It seems to me like capers had one OKAY year, and the rest of them he dwelt in the cellar.

You still don't understand the difference between expansion teams and established teams, do you? For an expansion team each one of those numbers are strong. And notice the gradual improvement up to year four. And notice Holmgren and Cowher had bad years as well (even worse than year three for Capers) and weren't fired. The result -- both of them took their teams to the SB this year.

wolf123
04-02-2006, 04:21 AM
My post is strictly in defense of Kubes and why you do not beilieve that he has done nor will do anything right for this team

wolf123
04-02-2006, 04:22 AM
Please educate a youngin' such as myself

ledzeppelin229
04-02-2006, 04:25 AM

Many people were calling for Fangio's head prior to last season - and yes he had a "fine record" up to a point. That point that they only won 2 games and were generally the worst team in the league for the entire season. Also realize that Capers did the same thing in Carolina...peaked early and then collapsed. I give him credit where credit is due - 4 wins in the first season were nice. It was also nice to see progress - however when progression ends and total incompetence takes over, there isn't much else that can be done. That Cowher and Holmgren argument is a poor comparison...definitely the exception to keeping coaches that have bad years. I guess Dallas should have kept Dave Campo, they were sort of on their way up.

You can't tell me you looked at a team last year and saw a good team that just got some bad breaks - because it was a total collapse. And I blame a total collapse more on the coaching than any individual player.

Bobo
04-02-2006, 04:27 AM

All Ckw5814 was saying is give Kubes some leeway here. He's not making all the mistakes you keep trying to point out. If anything you keep contradicting yourself in your points regarding methods Kubiac should have employed to address the huge problem at OL.

You seem to be one of the many who don't know the difference between expansion teams and established teams. That puzzles me. As for drafting a center, why would you need Flanagan if you are going to burn a pick on one anyway? That makes no sense. They need help throughout that line and they draft someone into the same position they supposedly have already fixed? Don't you see the confusion there? As for McKinney, folks move around all the time within the line when there is an injury. McKinney can both start at one position and move over to another in case of injury -- happens all the time. Um, yes, Kubiak is making mistake after mistake already -- and you just mentioned a couple of them. I am certainly not contradicting myself. It is Kubiak who is contradicting himself when he goes out and gets a TE out of FA and then burns a pick for a position he supposedly has already fixed. Then again, that's not the first time he's done that.

Bobo
04-02-2006, 04:29 AM
Many people were calling for Fangio's head prior to last season - and yes he had a "fine record" up to a point. That point that they only won 2 games and were generally the worst team in the league for the entire season. Also realize that Capers did the same thing in Carolina...peaked early and then collapsed. I give him credit where credit is due - 4 wins in the first season were nice. It was also nice to see progress - however when progression ends and total incompetence takes over, there isn't much else that can be done. That Cowher and Holmgren argument is a poor comparison...definitely the exception to keeping coaches that have bad years. I guess Dallas should have kept Dave Campo, they were sort of on their way up.

You can't tell me you looked at a team last year and saw a good team that just got some bad breaks - because it was a total collapse. And I blame a total collapse more on the coaching than any individual player.

The fact that you claim that keeping coaches like Holmgren and Cowher around after bad seasons before they went to the SB are "exceptions" seems to indicate that you would have fired them if it was up to you. Thanks, you've just proven my point.

Ckw
04-02-2006, 04:31 AM
A.) Yep, you have a lot to learn. But stay with it -- the ride is a fun one. B.) I answered your question -- you must learn to read carefully. C.) If you're going to try for sarcasm, you might work at it a bit before you go public with it. It certainly isn't working too well for you here. D.) 6-10 for a team like the Steelers or Seahawks is a lot worse than 2-14 for an expansion team. Maybe you'll learn that later on in life as well. E.) A city that expects to win now with an expansion team is a city with unrealistic expectations. F.) Not sadly for me that Capers got fired. Sadly for you, sadly for the city of Houston and sadly for every football fan that wanted the Texans to win. And that's life in the real world. Keep your nose to the grindstone and maybe you'll learn that lesson.
Thanks for the pep talk Mr. Bobo. I really will take your words to heart and keep my nose to the grindstone. And please tell me what was so different with his line in Carolina. Expansion team, no? Yes I admit the guy has the potential to coach and he has shown it. And 4-12, 5-11, 7-9, and 2-14 would not be considered good seasons anywhere. Mike Holmgren and Bill Cower have a proven track record. Capers has a proven track record that says fired after four seasons by the Carolina Panthers and fired after four seasons by the Houston Texans. But alas, it is a waste of my time to endlessly debate with you, especially when it will probably never make a difference anyway. All I'm trying to do is give you some hope for this season. Life is what you make it. When it gives you lemons, make lemonade. I can only show you the door, but you'll have to walk through it Mr. Bobo. My life won't end if the Texans do poorly, for a life based simply on a game played once a week is doomed to be a fairly meaningless life. But it sure will be cool if we can wreck shop on all our foes on Sundays. :fans:

Bobo
04-02-2006, 04:32 AM
My post is strictly in defense of Kubes and why you do not beilieve that he has done nor will do anything right for this team

By looking at the many mistakes he has already made thus far -- mistakes I have already detailed.

ledzeppelin229
04-02-2006, 04:33 AM
You seem to be one of the many who don't know the difference between expansion teams and established teams. That puzzles me. As for drafting a center, why would you need Flanagan if you are going to burn a pick on one anyway? That makes no sense. They need help throughout that line and they draft someone into the same position they supposedly have already fixed? Don't you see the confusion there? As for McKinney, folks move around all the time within the line when there is an injury. McKinney can both start at one position and move over to another in case of injury -- happens all the time. Um, yes, Kubiak is making mistake after mistake already -- and you just mentioned a couple of them. I am certainly not contradicting myself. It is Kubiak who is contradicting himself when he goes out and gets a TE out of FA and then burns a pick for a position he supposedly has already fixed. Then again, that's not the first time he's done that.

McKinney has repeatedly been graded as one of the weakest links of the line. His position before coming to Houston was LG - Capers was the one using the "Best 5" philosophy that ended up playing people out of position.

Flanagan is in his early 30s and while offensive lineman can often play longer than other positions, he isn't a young player by NFL standards. Unless Kubiak becomes convinced that Hodgdon can play well enough/stay healthy, if a C that the scout team really likes in the BPA on the board, it would only make sense to take him. In summary: There's no harm in signing Flanagan as it brings a lot more stability to the line, Sherman has coached him before, it puts McKinney back into his better position, and it gives Hodgdon/a rookie more time and teaching to learn the pro position before Flanagan decides to hang up the cleats.

Kubiak must have faith in Putzier considering how long he coached him. Our TE position needed a little more life in it, and while Putzier isn't an elite TE it atleast removes the weakness tag.

Bobo
04-02-2006, 04:34 AM
Thanks for the pep talk Mr. Bobo. I really will take your words to heart and keep my nose to the grindstone. And please tell me what was so different with his line in Carolina. Expansion team, no? Yes I admit the guy has the potential to coach and he has shown it. And 4-12, 5-11, 7-9, and 2-14 would not be considered good seasons anywhere. Mike Holmgren and Bill Cower have a proven track record. Capers has a proven track record that says fired after four seasons by the Carolina Panthers and fired after four seasons by the Houston Texans. But alas, it is a waste of my time to endlessly debate with you, especially when it will probably never make a difference anyway. All I'm trying to do is give you some hope for this season. Life is what you make it. When it gives you lemons, make lemonades. I can only show you the door, but you'll have to walk through it Mr. Bobo. My life won't end if the Texans do poorly, for a life based simply on a game played once a week is doomed to be a fairly meaningless life. But it sure will be cool if we can wreck shop on all our foes on Sundays. :fans:

His previous three years were considered good records for expansion teams. Like I said, maybe with a few more years of following the game you'll understand this.

Bobo
04-02-2006, 04:37 AM
Kubiak must have faith in Putzier considering how long he coached him. Our TE position needed a little more life in it, and while Putzier isn't an elite TE it atleast removes the weakness tag.

The belief that Kubiak has faith in Putzier doesn't encourage me one bit. The Texans need to hold the TE in to block to help the OL until it gets in order. To remove the TE from that equation is pure folly.

ledzeppelin229
04-02-2006, 04:40 AM
The belief that Kubiak has faith in Putzier doesn't encourage me one bit. The Texans need to hold the TE in to block to help the OL until it gets in order. To remove the TE from that equation is pure folly.

And who's going to do that? Rivers? We already have Bruener, but he can't be counted on to catch. Maybe we can put Joppru out in a wheelchair (better yet, pop in a 300 hp "Scooter") and maybe he can run down the blitz before it gets there.

And this doesn't stop them from drafting a TE that can do both. Nothing is set in stone - not to mention if a TE is going to stay in all the time, we can just play with 6 OL and put Wand on the end.

whiskeyrbl
04-02-2006, 04:49 AM

I don'y understand why you repurchased season tickets knowing who the coach was and your thoughts on the team. I am completely baffled. But you are entitled to your opinion,strange as it may seem to most of us.If the Texans win 3 of their first 5 games would you contemplate slacking up on the franchise a lil' ? PLEASE!

Ckw
04-02-2006, 04:51 AM
His previous three years were considered good records for expansion teams. Like I said, maybe with a few more years of following the game you'll understand this.
Do you totally ignore this past season? Yes, we did well in our first three seasons, but you can't deny the total collapse by our team this past year. As a past poster said, there are only two groups to blame: coaches or players. Dom Capers showed he had the players to maintain a fairly decent record for an expansion team. Yet, for some reason it all fell apart this year. So who was it Mr. Bobo? Was it the coaches or the players? I'm assuming you will say the players, but why the collapse this year? Did the players just stop playing or are they just not any good? And if they did stop playing, why did they decide to quit? Did they have a problem with something? Were they not motivated? And why if Dom and Casserley were working together did such a pitiful team get assembled with excellent draft picks and free agency? As we have shown this season, despite what your opinion is, we can pick up good free agents: Moulds (presumably), Flanagan (seasoned vet who might actually teach our youngins on the team a thing or two; very suprised you don't like him), and Sam Cowart (very much like Flanagan). Suprisingly you seem to think very highly on the age factor as far as understanding the game of football, yet you seem to neglect this when choosing your free agents. Perhaps Weaver (a guy who has at least played in a Super Bowl), Flanagan, and Cowart can teach our guys some things, after all with age comes understanding.

wolf123
04-02-2006, 04:58 AM
The OL hasn't been addressed at all except for Flanagan. It's basically the same guys they had last year.

Ok...so this is why Kubiac hasn't done anything right...i got ya...but wait...

I honestly think we should leave FA alone when it comes to the OL unless the guy available fits the Texans needs. Good OL are more valuable in the NFL nowadays than RBs since you need a tandem of five of them to succeed and every good one is valuable. Teams are very hesitant to part with the good ones nowadays.

Ok...so if FA isn't the way for Kubes to show his credibility as a HC for the Texans, then what else? You also said that...

7.) Kubiak added an old guy (Flanagan)to the line who won't be around long and will just have to be replaced before the Texans regain competitive status.

But then you said that...

As for drafting a center, why would you need Flanagan if you are going to burn a pick on one anyway?

How is providing a C through the draft to learn the ropes from a ProBowl vet who has been signed to improve the Texans of today a bad thing. How is that wasting a pick, you're preparing for the long term. Also, selecting an OT/OG would be a strong move to compete for the positions available this year.

I hear what your arguing but your setting your arguments up with no posibility of Kubes winning, that is called BIAS.

HJam72
04-02-2006, 07:15 AM
]']he said be gone! You DORK! Muahahahah JKKKKK!!!!:stirpot:

Bobo, apparently your comments are not bothering Gary Kubiak. :)

Scooter
04-02-2006, 07:57 AM
Maybe we can put Joppru out in a wheelchair (better yet, pop in a 300 hp "Scooter") and maybe he can run down the blitz before it gets there.

i'm not taking him anywhere......

it's kinda sad how one guy ruined a perfectly good, and fun filled thread. i'm a pessimist by nature, but the koolaid's looking pretty good. we got the head coach that should've been hired in 02, our staff has atleast 5 rings (kubiak, sherman, & reeves), we've regained a couple veteran talents that are going to get the most out of the guys on the field, we've done well to address holes through FA, and after all of that we still have the top overall pick (and two 3rds) in one of the best looking drafts in years. last year was going to be bad, everyone knew it but some were afraid to admit it. this year's filled with potential. i've harped on O-line enough, but after the draft & june 1st cuts, i expect we'll have atleast 1 more starter and i'll be ringing the cowbell as loud as anyone.

my glasses arent rose colored .... they're steel blue.

HJam72
04-02-2006, 08:04 AM
i'm not taking him anywhere......

it's kinda sad how one guy ruined a perfectly good, and fun filled thread. i'm a pessimist by nature, but the koolaid's looking pretty good. we got the head coach that should've been hired in 02, our staff has atleast 5 rings (kubiak, sherman, & reeves), we've regained a couple veteran talents that are going to get the most out of the guys on the field, we've done well to address holes through FA, and after all of that we still have the top overall pick (and two 3rds) in one of the best looking drafts in years. last year was going to be bad, everyone knew it but some were afraid to admit it. this year's filled with potential. i've harped on O-line enough, but after the draft & june 1st cuts, i expect we'll have atleast 1 more starter and i'll be ringing the cowbell as loud as anyone.

my glasses arent rose colored .... they're steel blue.

Honestly, I have to admit that I didn't know at all until I got clued in during preseason. When they promoted Pendry, I new we were definitely screwed.

Coach C.
04-02-2006, 08:08 AM
Every fan is optimistic, that is the point of being a fan. We all sit and pontificate and hope that this year will be our year, hopefully we get what we want, but the odds are usually not in our favor. Winning fans back seems weird to me, because I dont think our recent horrid season really lost the Texans any fans. They simply decided not to watch the horrid product.

TexanBorn51
04-02-2006, 09:20 AM
Sure is a lot more of emotion put into this thread than on the football field from a fan that is to sit unemotional and just eat hot dogs and drink and not care if they win or lose. Ya know I watched the Astros for 35 years not get to the World Series but every game was exciting. I pulled for them no matter what just like the Oilers. A fan like this would not have fun with me at a Texan game because when they score I'll be a jumpin and a yellin. I used to live in Houston but where I live now I would love to go to at least to one Texan game.You see I live for today and tomorrow not for yesterday. There have been many team decisions that I did not agree with but what can you do but support them unless you got some big NFL power that can change it.:texflag:

Honoring Earl 34
04-02-2006, 09:56 AM
If you are concerned about the Texans just remember that The Packers were the folly of the league when they hired the Offensive Cordinator from the Giants in the late 50's I think . They became one of the greatest teams in history .

The pathetic Steelers hired a young coach in 1969 and ended up being the team of the 70's . They could possibly have been the best team ever . I think this was Noll's first and only head coaching job .

When did the 49ers hire Bill Walsh ... late 70's . They were a bad team that became a dynasty . Point is you have to be bad sometimes to get great talent but if it all falls into place the Texans may one day be mentioned with the above teams .:yahoo:

Speedy
04-02-2006, 09:56 AM
Geez....rope, shower rod....do it now!!:goodnight

Double Barrel
04-02-2006, 10:48 AM
I may not care about the team at all, but I love watching the NFL in person. I was a Texans fan for four years and I felt awful last year everytime they lost -- probably even worse than Capers felt. Honestly. But they have lost me this year. I don't dislike them -- I just don't care about them.

Sorry, man, but what I see in this statement is pure fairweather 'fan'. When they put up a winning record (only a matter of time), I'm sure you'll be one of the first on the bandwagon, proudly proclaiming that you were a season ticket holder from the beginning. :ok:

You're in love with coach that has had one winning season in eight years of head coaching experience, has never been to a Superbowl as a player or a coach, and I have to wonder what you would have thought of Capers before he coached Carolina. His pre-HC resume was nothing compared to Kubiak's current resume. Capers is a defensive coach that has consistently put out some of the worst defenses I've ever had the displeasure of following.

You say you felt awful last year (worse than the HC? doubtful), but you're able to completely disengage your devotion in one off-season. Which is it? Either you have emotional investment in a team, or you don't.

Are you this pessimistic at your true team's board? (yeah, we know who you are.) Or do you just reserve this spite and venom for the Texans?

Whatever. Folks, listen to Herv (first page) and don't feed the troll. He feeds off of your aggravation.

Vinny
04-02-2006, 10:54 AM
Sorry, man, but what I see in this statement is pure fairweather 'fan'. why bother dood? Bobo is a Titan fan. http://www.websitetoolbox.com/tool/view/mb/profile/titanscentral/Bobo

On the thread title....this team isn't "winning back its fans". The fans never left.

bad
04-02-2006, 11:05 AM
That explains everything! He is now on ignore. I tried that. It would have worked too, if people would stop putting his (or her) quotes in their posts.

I can't put everyone on ignore. Of course, if it works for the Commander-In-Chief...

Ckw
04-02-2006, 01:09 PM
That explains everything! He is now on ignore. Please try and not to quote him because I will see his post anyway.
No problem. I spent all of last night going back and forth with Bobo and all I can gather is he is either totally ignorant and wants something to whine about or he's just trying to :stirpot: . Back to the optimism thread. I believe this year has the chance to be the best in the Texans short history, after all 7-9 isn't exactly an ideal season. I have faith in Kubiak, Carr, Davis, AJ, Cowart, Putzier, etc. and believe we can turn this team around. We've got the pieces to the puzzle and most NFL gurus would tend to agree. FA has been a success for the first time and the draft could be even more successful if some of these guys live up to their hype, namely Bush. By the way, anybody know what his 40 time was today?

TexansLucky13
04-02-2006, 01:34 PM
No problem. I spent all of last night going back and forth with Bobo and all I can gather is he is either totally ignorant and wants something to whine about or he's just trying to :stirpot: . Back to the optimism thread. I believe this year has the chance to be the best in the Texans short history, after all 7-9 isn't exactly an ideal season. I have faith in Kubiak, Carr, Davis, AJ, Cowart, Putzier, etc. and believe we can turn this team around. We've got the pieces to the puzzle and most NFL gurus would tend to agree. FA has been a success for the first time and the draft could be even more successful if some of these guys live up to their hype, namely Bush. By the way, anybody know what his 40 time was today?

Haha, I must have posted over 50 times with rebuttals to his abstract view on Kubiak and the Texans.

All we need to do is secure a couple Offensive Lineman in the draft, grab a DE and make sure our secondary is in check. With that done, we will recieve no less than an A+ for this offseason, and will begin to work towards the next modern dynasty!

Too optimistic, maybe? There is only one way to find out. Wake me up when Training Camp ends.

Texas
04-02-2006, 03:35 PM
Lets Win!