PDA

View Full Version : John McClain has officially lost it

Carr Bombed
04-01-2006, 05:55 PM
I've never said one bad thing about McClain and respect his opinion on many issues. I've realized he was caught up in the Vince Young hype, but with this new bit he has totally contradicted himself.

will it be Bush or Young (http://www.chron.com/sports/texans/)

He said after the Rosebowl there would be no problem keeping Carr and taking Vince Young and letting Young come into his own under Carr.

Now he says "You can't have Carr and Vince on the same team, because it wouldn't be fair to Carr, you would hear "we want Vince" everytime Carr sneezes" and then he goes on to make excuses for Carr.

After the Rosebowl he said we should take Young for many reasons, one of which was, because he is a fan favorite and the fans want him.

Now he says, "You don't draft, because of what the fans want that is the DUMBEST thing you can do".

Then he goes on to praise Bush.

This is just some of the flip flopping he does in this bit.

Before the Rosebowl he was on Bush, after the Rosebowl he was on Young, now he's going back to Bush.

Does he listen to anything he says.

Oh well I don't blame him, many are starting to come to the realization that Young isn't comming here.

sakebomb
04-01-2006, 06:06 PM
He should have ran with Kerry.

RTP2110
04-01-2006, 06:17 PM
Just a few links down, he goes on and on saying there's no way Texans would take Bush over Young.

Marcus
04-01-2006, 06:24 PM
Aw C'mon guys!

It's his right to be a flip-flopper. He's sports columnist. Go with whichever way the wind blows. That's his job.

Or so aj always tells me when I slam him for this crap.:brickwall

Bubbajwp
04-01-2006, 06:42 PM
I've never said one bad thing about McClain and respect his opinion on many issues. I've realized he was caught up in the Vince Young hype, but with this new bit he has totally contradicted himself.

He said after the Rosebowl there would be no problem keeping Carr and taking Vince Young and letting Young come into his own under Carr.

Now he says "You can't have Carr and Vince on the same team, because it wouldn't be fair to Carr, you would hear "we want Vince" everytime Carr sneezes" and then he goes on to make excuses for Carr.

After the Rosebowl he said we should take Young for many reasons, one of which was, because he is a fan favorite and the fans want him.

Now he says, "You don't draft, because of what the fans want that is the DUMBEST thing you can do".

Before the Rosebowl he was on Bush, after the Rosebowl he was on Young, now he's going back to Bush.

Oh well I don't blame him, many are starting to come to the realization that Young isn't comming here.
Thats no different than anybody else around here. Including me.

Carr Bombed
04-01-2006, 06:47 PM

I know thats why I said I don't blame him. He painted himself into a corner, now he is back stepping out of it.

Oilers/Texans
04-01-2006, 06:53 PM
"You don't draft, because of what the fans want that is the DUMBEST thing you can do".

That statement is 100% correct. Teams draft to benefit themselves, even if it is not popular with some of the "fans".

Bobo
04-01-2006, 06:55 PM

This guy's just another fan who happens to write a column in a newspaper I don't read too often anymore.

CowboysTexansFan
04-01-2006, 07:13 PM
I don't read too much of his work anymore or listen to him on radio, either. He's been around a long time, but he's not very smart.

I remember years ago when Ricky Williams came out of Texas and hired Master P's firm to represent him. McClain went ON and ON and ON about how people were wrong to slam Ricky for that decision, pointing out that his agent had a degree from the Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania. So what happened? Williams' agent didn't know what the heck he was doing and Williams signed a horrible contract for a rookie of his stature.

Just last year, McClain was dumping on Cedric Benson, saying that he was going to fall deep into the first round of the draft and NO WAY was he going to be a top 5 pick. He may have corrected himself shortly before the draft actually took place, but he was just plain wrong for the longest period.

My point? McClain is at his best when he's telling stories about the NFL that he's witnessed, but don't count on him for good "inside" information or quality original thinking. I think NFL guys play him like a fiddle to serve their own purposes.

The Chronicle's sportwriters are a mediocre bunch. That's why I'm going to let my subscription lapse when it comes due.

nunusguy
04-01-2006, 07:30 PM
The Chronicle's sportwriters are a mediocre bunch. That's why I'm going to let my subscription lapse when it comes due.
I dunno.....what do you think of Megan Manfull ?

pearland
04-01-2006, 07:33 PM
He's been around a long time, but he's not very smart.

I agree and I disagree with this statement.

Why McClain is NOT smart: He makes poor predictions and does not know all of the football he thinks.

Why McClain is $MART: He knows who pays his his $alary. He make$ several po$itive comment$ on the Texans, no matter if he really knows if they are good or not. He know$ that he needs to paint a pretty picture for the team that he cover$ and help to contiube to create interest. He is part of the martketing team and he know$ it pay$ him to be po$itive on the local team.

Here is a very good lesson to be learned: Don't make your boss (or your customer) look stupid in public. Just ask Gerry Hunsicker. He was good. But what got he fired was not his performance but he did not defend his boss. Drayton did deserve some of the comments and pressure to make changes, but IT IS YOUR BOSS. If I make my boss stupid in public, I will be fired - within seconds.

TexanSam
04-01-2006, 07:36 PM
My point? McClain is at his best when he's telling stories about the NFL that he's witnessed, but don't count on him for good "inside" information or quality original thinking. I think NFL guys play him like a fiddle to serve their own purposes.

I agree. I think too many of these guys try to be like Chris Mortenson or other insiders at ESPN. I don't like ESPN's east coast bias that much, but I do respect Mortenson and all the other's about getting information. They are usually reliable. McClain is not.

David Justice, I just can't stand when it comes to football. Most of his baseball stuff I like because that's what he's good at. But football, I wish he would stay out of. I like John Lopez the best.

Carr Bombed
04-01-2006, 07:41 PM
That statement is 100% correct. Teams draft to benefit themselves, even if it is not popular with some of the "fans".

I know,

I was quoting McClain, because it wasn't even a couple of months ago that he was arguing for drafting Vince, because and I quote, He's a hometown hero and would be fan favorite and Mcnair would have to add a whole other section on the Reliant Stadium and yada yada yada.

old football fan
04-01-2006, 07:44 PM
John McClain hasn't lost it.....he naver had it. If all the media types knew so much about football then why don't they own teams, or be at least the GM of one one or coaching one. My advise is leave the draft to the ones in the know.:superman:

Bobo
04-01-2006, 07:48 PM
John McClain hasn't lost it.....he naver had it. If all the media types knew so much about football then why don't they own teams, or be at least the GM of one one or coaching one. My advise is leave the draft to the ones in the know.:superman:

Well, it does take a lot of money to own a team and having been in the newspaper business myself, those guys don't make a lot of it. And you definitely have to have connections to become a GM.

Bobo
04-01-2006, 07:51 PM
My point? McClain is at his best when he's telling stories about the NFL that he's witnessed

I think he's pretty boring when he does that, too. These guys aren't hired for their charisma, you know. They are hired because they can write and spell -- something most HS students can do.

Carr Bombed
04-01-2006, 07:54 PM
Well, it does take a lot of money to own a team and having been in the newspaper business myself, those guys don't make a lot of it. And you definitely have to have connections to become a GM.

I'm pretty sure McClain and Justice and every other writer for a major papper gets paid pretty good.

Newspaper writers aren't really different than many posters on this board (atleast the smart ones :) ), the only difference is that they have a degree in journalism and get paid for their opinions.

mexican_texan
04-01-2006, 07:55 PM
I dunno.....what do you think of Megan Manfull ?
Middle school must have been hell for her...

bad
04-01-2006, 08:06 PM
Why McClain is $MART: He knows who pays his his $alary. He make$ several po$itive comment$ on the Texans, no matter if he really knows if they are good or not. He know$ that he needs to paint a pretty picture for the team that he cover$ and help to contiube to create interest. He is part of the martketing team and he know$ it pay$ him to be po$itive on the local team.
I'd call it selling out. The NBA Lakers had a radio/TV announcer for about 3000 games (Chick Hearn, you may have heard of him), who would just trash the Lakers for their mistakes. He was honest no matter how bad it hurt. Granted, the Lakers didn't make a lot of mistakes back then but when they did he was the first to point it out, because he was the first to see it and he believed it was his job to let the fans know the true facts, as he saw them, to the best of his ability. The man never backtracked, not once.

Nobody fired him, and in fact there will probably be some award named in his honor sometime in the future.

There is a newspaper columnist at the L.A. Times, Bill Plaschke, who's won a Pulitzer with a style consisting of brutal reality mixed with a bit of humor and not even a touch of patronization towards his readers.

I understand that the situation is vastly different with the Texans than with the Lakers or Dodgers, who have both been around longer than most of us have been alive. Still, wouldn't you prefer the cold winds of harsh reality to the unnerving wash of smoke up your *****?

If the airheads in L. A. can deal with the truth I would think the people of Houston would deserve the same amount of credit. You are the fourth largest city in the United States. You can do better than McClain, who never saw a bandwagon he didn't like.

Marcus
04-01-2006, 08:31 PM
I'd call it selling out.

................... I understand that the situation is vastly different with the Texans than with the Lakers or Dodgers, who have both been around longer than most of us have been alive. Still, wouldn't you prefer the cold winds of harsh reality to the unnerving wash of smoke up your *****?

If the airheads in L. A. can deal with the truth I would think the people of Houston would deserve the same amount of credit. You are the fourth largest city in the United States. You can do better than McClain, who never saw a bandwagon he didn't like.

hehe . . . good post.

Maybe we don't really deserve any better than the likes of Justice and McClain. Afterall, this is pretty much a bandwagon type of town.:ouch:

old football fan
04-01-2006, 09:07 PM
Is John McClain and Ricard Justice on the VY payroll???? It sure sounds like it.:spy: :stirpot:

old football fan
04-01-2006, 09:19 PM
Just checked the mock drafts and VY has slipped to the tenth spot(Cards) so take that all you media types

Bobo
04-01-2006, 10:13 PM
Just checked the mock drafts and VY has slipped to the tenth spot(Cards) so take that all you media types

Arizona really wants him and I can see why. With Warner there, they have the time to groom him. Plus, the Cards always go for the gimmicks to get fans into the stadium, ie., Emmitt Smith. "Come see the aging future Hall-of-Famer before he retires! Cowboys fans welcome!"

Double Barrel
04-01-2006, 10:14 PM
'eh, John McClain has an opinion, just like the rest of us. And we all know what opinions are like (everyone's got one ;) ). Only difference is he gets paid to write about his, and sometimes gets to hang out with the players.

I like McClain's perspective on football history, and more specifically Oilers history, but I don't put a lot of stock in his opinions any more than anyone else. Matter-of-fact, there are forum members that I listen to more than him.

HardKnockTexan
04-02-2006, 01:25 PM
There is a newspaper columnist at the L.A. Times, Bill Plaschke, who's won a Pulitzer with a style consisting of brutal reality mixed with a bit of humor and not even a touch of patronization towards his readers.

Is that the same Bill Plaschke that has a spot on Around The Horn?? I'm guessing his articles are much better than his comentary. I hate hearing him spit out his nonscense.

bad
04-02-2006, 01:31 PM
Is that the same Bill Plaschke that has a spot on Around The Horn?? I'm guessing his articles are much better than his comentary. I hate hearing him spit out his nonscense.
Right on target. He'll obviously win no Emmy Awards but the Pulitzer is for real.

vtech9
04-02-2006, 03:42 PM
I guess I'm the different one around here then. I still don't want Bush. If we get Bush, I won't cry about it, but I still think the 1st pick would be too high for a part time running back. I would be happy with VY, but I would also be happy with Ferguson. I wouldn't be disappointed if we traded down and took superMario, A.J. Hawk, or got Bush then, but not with the 1st pick. I just don't think RB is a big need for us. I think we can get a solid RB in the 4th round that would work for us. I think that Texas Tech RB would be a good fit for our offense, and he should be available in the 4th. That's just my opinion.

bigTEXan8
04-02-2006, 03:47 PM

I thought McClain was Kerry's speech writer?

mancunian
04-03-2006, 06:04 AM
Is John McClain and Ricard Justice on the VY payroll???? It sure sounds like it.:spy: :stirpot:

or are they just saying that for the kudos it may give then amongst the Houston population that want VY?

HJam72
04-03-2006, 07:01 AM

No, and his opinions both carry little weight with people AND are everchanging. It just shows that people will read it despite knowing that his opinions are no better than anybody else's.

PS-Not knocking anyone for reading it. I read it. I just don't give his opinions any weight.

TheOgre
04-03-2006, 08:20 AM

Just look at the Eagles. The fans wanted Ricky but the got Donovan instead.

Frank_The_Tank
04-03-2006, 08:32 AM
I thought McClain was Kerry's speech writer?

If he was Kerry's speech writer, thats alot better than the fourth grader George Bush had writing his!

powerfuldragon
04-03-2006, 08:43 AM
A man is no longer allowed to change his opinion.

Chicagotexan1
04-03-2006, 08:44 AM

I couldn't agree more. Don't do what's easy or popular. Do what is best for the team. Take the BPA. That's Reggie Bush hands down.

Bsacamano
04-03-2006, 10:30 AM
You guys should lay off of John McClain. Not only is he one of the most friendly, open people I have ever met, he is also VERY RESPECTED in league circles and has a boatload of NFL knowledge. I met him when I went to the 2004 NFL draft in New York. When he found out my group was from Houston, he helped us out and was actually able to get us better seats. He talked with us like he had known us forever. In fact, after the Texans made each of their picks, he would come up to our seats and discuss it with us. He knew everyone, and I mean everyone working in NFL positions. I was very impressed. One NFL employee we spoke with said that John is well known and VERY RESPECTED in league circles for his work and insight. He's a great guy.....so lay off.

chuckm
04-03-2006, 10:38 AM
You guys should lay off of John McClain. Not only is he one of the most friendly, open people I have ever met, he is also VERY RESPECTED in league circles and has a boatload of NFL knowledge. I met him when I went to the 2004 NFL draft in New York. When he found out my group was from Houston, he helped us out and was actually able to get us better seats. He talked with us like he had known us forever. In fact, after the Texans made each of their picks, he would come up to our seats and discuss it with us. He knew everyone, and I mean everyone working in NFL positions. I was very impressed. One NFL employee we spoke with said that John is well known and VERY RESPECTED in league circles for his work and insight. He's a great guy.....so lay off.

Speaking for myself, I've always tuned in to hear him. I've never met him but haven't read anything that would lead me to believe that he's anything other than a genuine, nice man .....

the problem for me is his take on this Young to the Texans drama ....

before the Rose Bowl (when Young was thought to be returning to Texas) it was Reggie Bush this, Reggie Bush that, ...

after the Rose Bowl, the Texans WERE drafting Young, no questions asked

after Carr's bonus was exercised, the Texans COULD trade him, survive the massive cap hit, and draft Young, no doubt about it

now it's Reggie Bush is the pick but Vince Young this, Vince Young that, ...

:twocents:

WWJD
04-03-2006, 10:39 AM
Put me down as a McClain fan also.

I've only had contact with John via email and on the radio but he was very nice and I appreciated the time he gave me.

Also for the poster that said something about Justice being a VY homer..Richard is a UT grad.

SESupergenius
04-03-2006, 10:39 AM
He seems to fire off at the mouth and can not just be a reporter. The flip flopping without even acknowledging it, only lends to his credibility going into the toilet. There is nothing wrong with changing your opinion, but not like that where you change it because it is popular at the moment and you don't even say that you are changing your opinion, we have some very weak writers covering the Texans.

Bsacamano
04-03-2006, 10:55 AM
If you listen to John and Lance in the morning you will know that McClain gradually changed his belief that the Texans would draft Vince. In fact, he made a bet with them after the rose bowl that the Texans would take Vince. He eventually had to concede that they would NOT and ate some crow on the air becuase of it. Now he knows the Texans are going to take Bush, but he is still very high on Vinve. I don't see what the credibility problem is

Caphorn
04-03-2006, 11:00 AM
Also for the poster that said something about Justice being a VY homer..Richard is a UT grad.

Justice has been brutal to the program for the most part. He's not a homer. It's just that he sells opinions for a living. And he does a good job of that because most sports fans in this town read his opinions (like them or not) and in fact he's garnerned national attention for several of his stronger opinions. I personally think he helps to make the Chronicle coverage interesting, even when I disagree strongly with what he has to say.

The business of sports writing is a business. It would help for people to understand that. I actually find McLain refreshing because he seemingly ignores that aspect for the most part and writes and says what he's thinking. His thoughts change (as do the thoughts of the guys making the picks). So I guess I don't understand why it matters so much to you guys that he has wavered here? Wavering is part of the draft business and it always has been.

TheOgre
04-03-2006, 12:41 PM

So am I and you don't see me running around all Brokeback on VY. VY is a hell of a player and I think he will do very well in the right situation. I just think that Carr, Bush, and DD has more potential than Young and DD. I'm not sold on Carr, but I definitely think DD has maxed his potential. I'd like to give Carr 1-2 years under an actual NFL offensive scheme with actual NFL surrounding talent before cashing in his chips.

Bush has the ability to be the next Faulk or Sanders. He is fast, strong, smart, a team player, and is a big playmaker. It is just gravy that he is a decent pass-blocker (something that is a huge deficiency in DD's game). While I have been a huge advocate of trading down, I have no issue with us taking Bush.

WWJD
04-03-2006, 12:48 PM
Put me down for Vince over Reggie...ad nauseum discussion not necessary.

MikeMc
04-03-2006, 12:57 PM
Well, I prefer to read what McClain writes instead of listen to what he has to say..........I am sure all of you know why. Tell JM to swallow a lozenge or clear that flem out!

It was painful to listen to his "insider" news on the Houston FB team (now known as the Texans) back in the day. Now the real news/sports teams are covering the Texans....thank GOD!

Bullpen Drew
04-03-2006, 02:41 PM
I wish John McLain would stop trying to predict scores of the football games. He is never close!

04-03-2006, 02:44 PM
I wish John McLain would stop trying to predict scores of the football games. He is never close!

After many years of wondering, I still don't know who this McLain character is.

TheOgre
04-03-2006, 03:24 PM
Well, I prefer to read what McClain writes instead of listen to what he has to say..........I am sure all of you know why. Tell JM to swallow a lozenge or clear that flem out!

It was painful to listen to his "insider" news on the Houston FB team (now known as the Texans) back in the day. Now the real news/sports teams are covering the Texans....thank GOD!

I was trying to explain my displeasure about this with one of my friends and he looked at me like I was an alien. I totally agree MikeMc. Keep that one as a once in a lifetime quote.

NeViKaN
04-03-2006, 04:04 PM
:ok: :) :redtowel: :yahoo:

titan hater
04-03-2006, 05:19 PM
hehe . . . good post.

Maybe we don't really deserve any better than the likes of Justice and McClain. Afterall, this is pretty much a bandwagon type of town.:ouch:

Beg to differ...Houston is the greatest city in the world!!! H-Town born and raised!!!

El Amigo Invisible
04-03-2006, 05:44 PM
Beg to differ...Houston is the greatest city in the world!!! H-Town born and raised!!!
Houston was the greatest city in the world . Now we can call it NOLA for short! Murder rate up 25% .

dat_boy_yec
04-03-2006, 07:55 PM
Ok, did anyone hear McClain this morning on 610, the man said he hoped Young ended up in Tennessee. That to me is incredibly crazy I think I can't ever listen to anything he says and take it seriously anymore. Thank god Megan (I think) Is now covering football in the chronicle.

Hookem Horns
04-03-2006, 08:32 PM
Ok, did anyone hear McClain this morning on 610, the man said he hoped Young ended up in Tennessee. That to me is incredibly crazy I think I can't ever listen to anything he says and take it seriously anymore. Thank god Megan (I think) Is now covering football in the chronicle.

Why would that surprise you? McClain is a diehard Titans fan and even does radio out there.

Tulip
04-03-2006, 08:36 PM

Of course that's what he wants. If Vince Young is drafted by the Titans, he'll have endless column fodder. Deliciously evil, perhaps....but not crazy.

dat_boy_yec
04-03-2006, 08:59 PM
Why would that surprise you? McClain is a diehard Titans fan and even does radio out there.
Are you serious, I never knew that. I can't believe I've been listening and reading the stuff of a traitor.

Your right Tulip that would be evil.

Ibar_Harry
04-03-2006, 09:00 PM
Of course that's what he wants. If Vince Young is drafted by the Titans, he'll have endless column fodder. Deliciously evil, perhaps....but not crazy.

What's interesting is the rumor is that McNair doesn't want to baby sit a QB. Interesting when you consider the relationship between VY and McNair. Oh well, its strange out there.....

TheOgre
04-04-2006, 07:22 AM
Here is where I want Vince to end up in order:

1 Miami (trade up)
2. Arizona
3. Minnesota (trade up)
4. Oakland

31. Tennessee
32. Dallas