PDA

View Full Version : David Loverne signed

aj.
03-31-2006, 06:17 PM
Who, you say?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/players/4740/

Interior o-line depth. Per a report on SR610.

TexanSam
03-31-2006, 06:26 PM
Well he was a starter in 2002 and 2004 for most of the season. I don't know how good those O-lines were though. 2002 was Washington. 2004 was Detroit.

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/133345

ArlingtonTexan
03-31-2006, 06:26 PM
From what I could gather has had a history of injuries, but still could be an effective back-up if there are no developmental type prospects.

Joe Texan
03-31-2006, 06:30 PM
When is Carl Shirley gonna sign

Grid
03-31-2006, 06:48 PM
good move. Was talking about this with a friend last night. If we have Moulds.. that leaves are two biggest holes at DB, OT, and OG.

We have starters at OT and OG.. but we lack depth.. all in all we would have 1 OT and 1 OG as depth. I figured we would probably make some low key "depth" signings on the line. Glad that the FO agrees with me :)

Seņor Stan
03-31-2006, 07:15 PM
When is Carl Shirley gonna sign

and does Loverne get to wear a large cursive "L" on his jersey?

edo783
03-31-2006, 07:27 PM
From the Chronic.

Texans add guard Loverne

The Houston Texans agreed to terms with free agent guard David Loverne on Friday.
Loverne, who spent the last two seasons with the Detroit Lions, did not play last season after suffering a torn biceps.

The 6-foot-3, 299-pound player has started 24 career games and also played for the New York Jets, St. Louis and Washington.
He was a third round pick of the Jets in 1999.

Bubbajwp
03-31-2006, 07:29 PM
Already been posted.
http://www.houstontexans.com/fan_zone/messageboards/showthread.php?t=20547

beerlover
03-31-2006, 07:30 PM
He missed last season (2005) with a torn Bicep....:ouch:

good zone blocking fit in Kubiacs style, not strong but quick if he can stay healthy :cool:

dalemurphy
03-31-2006, 07:53 PM
If we're correct in assuming Wade will be a June 1st cut, I think one of two things must be true:

1. We're actually going to take Ferguson.

2. Kubiak and company have a much higher opinion of both Pitts and Wand than the previous staff. Some, myself included, have argued for two years that most of the OL problems were interior problems. Especially in 2004, I came away from the season quite impressed with Wand. He only committed 3 penalties the entire season (very low total for a tackle) and I thought he rarely was badly beat. Furthermore, the team didn't double or chip often. And, a number of the sacks he was collared with were a result of the inability of Carr to step up into the pocket, either because the interior line was beaten or because of Carr's lack of presence in the pocket.

We have now signed two interior linemen (loevrne, Flanagan) and resigned one (Weary). Meanwhile, other than meeting with Ashworth, I don't think any effort has been made to sure up the tackle position.

ArlingtonTexan
03-31-2006, 08:12 PM
Dale,

I think the other option is that they believe Weigert plays RT well enough.

dalemurphy
03-31-2006, 09:58 PM
Dale,

I think the other option is that they believe Weigert plays RT well enough.

I'm sure they see him as depth at the position. However, I doubt they are counting on a 34 year old, injury-prone guy to start at a position he hasn't really played in three years. I'm sure they will be spending a first day pick on a tackle also. However, if they cut Wade and don't draft Ferguson or sign anyone else at tackle, I think it's clear they like Wand.

outofhnd
03-31-2006, 10:05 PM
I think wand will do great on the RT, he does great against power rush the problem is when he has to take on a speed rusher. Then he loses his momentum and instead of holding turns him loose.

keyfro
03-31-2006, 10:31 PM
loverne is a good signing...it greatly improves our depth of just fred weary...it really has yet to be seen if we're going to move weigert to RT or keep him at RG...obviously it will depend on who we are able to pick in the second round...if winston or scott are there i think we'll let them fight it out with weigert for the RT position and the loser will get the RG position...wade i see either being cut after june 1st or we are going to hear that he as restructured his deal so we can trade him to a team that needs a mauling RT for it's running game...like the panthers or patriots

TexanFan881
03-31-2006, 11:25 PM
nothing wrong with adding some depth, and the good thing is that I don't see us paying him that much, but I do not see him really having an impact on this team unless players go down during the season.

Frank_The_Tank
03-31-2006, 11:35 PM
Well he is 6'3 299, I checked Denver last year and he fits the mold of the guys they had out their, he has been a starter in the past which can't be bad. I hope he comes in hungry for PT and wins a starting job. Heck he can't be worse than what was on the field last year! Another OL addition to the team, :yahoo: ALL RIGHT !!!!!!!!!

TexanFan881
03-31-2006, 11:37 PM
I don't think your size makes you good or bad. If he can play, he can, I don't think the fact that he's 6ft. 3in. and almost 300 pounds has to do with anything.

Frank_The_Tank
03-31-2006, 11:48 PM
I don't think your size makes you good or bad. If he can play, he can, I don't think the fact that he's 6ft. 3in. and almost 300 pounds has to do with anything.

Is it a mear coincidence that every OL on Denver is around that size or smaller. A zone blocking scheme needs slimmer, more agile OL to be productive. They did a big wirite up on if at FOXSPORTS but it is clearly evident that the more sucessful OL in Denver were around 290 some were under 290. They had one big bodied kid at right tackle last year and he was a backup that got to play in 4 games and he was like 317. I hope some of the larger bodied linemen on the Texans can be good as well, but thinner line men make it easier for the RB to find holes. Just a proven fact! They are not drive you deep into the linbacker OL they are hit you in the mouth in a hurry and move you latterally left or right into strategic points to open lanes for the RB's.

TexanFan881
03-31-2006, 11:51 PM
Is it a mear coincidence that every OL on Denver is around that size or smaller. A zone blocking scheme needs slimmer, more agile OL to be productive. They did a big wirite up on if at FOXSPORTS but it is clearly evident that the more sucessful OL in Denver were around 290 some were under 290. They had one big bodied kid at right tackle last year and he was a backup that got to play in 4 games and he was like 317. I hope some of the larger bodied linemen on the Texans can be good as well, but thinner line men make it easier for the RB to find holes. Just a proven fact! They are not drive you deep into the linbacker OL they are hit you in the mouth in a hurry and move you latterally left or right into strategic points to open lanes for the RB's.

I know what your saying and I think that's why Kubiak wanted him here. But I just don't think that he will do anything here and he will not start for us just because of his size. I don't think he can beat out or even pressure any of our starters for their starting job.

Frank_The_Tank
04-01-2006, 12:22 AM
No I understood you, I was just trying to rationalize why this guy could be in the mix of things next year. I mean, Kubiak of Denver, prefered thinner more athletic OL. I believe this is one of the reasons Houston was not jumping out of the gates running after the monster OL in the beginning of the FA. This is also my reasoning on why we will have alot of poetential in this years draft at the OL spot because the kid from OSU, Miami, and even Scott from Texas will all be their in the second, and scott in the 3rd. I Hope!

whiskeyrbl
04-01-2006, 02:02 PM
I'm sure they see him as depth at the position. However, I doubt they are counting on a 34 year old, injury-prone guy to start at a position he hasn't really played in three years. I'm sure they will be spending a first day pick on a tackle also. However, if they cut Wade and don't draft Ferguson or sign anyone else at tackle, I think it's clear they like Wand.

He turns 30 on May 22,still fairly young.But fits the mold for our line.
He has been all over the board playing OG and OT in his college career and he even started his career at University of Idaho. He is a tough guy with a good motor and he is a pretty solid fundamental player. He has good overall run blocking skills, plays with decent leverage and knee bend and does a nice job of staying on his feet and finishing the block. He has adequate, but not great range as a pass blocker, but is very effective when he locks on. He has more than enough AA to get by at the OG position, although he may not have the range as a pass blocker to be a pure OT. He is a guy with enough intelligence and intensity to be a candidate as a swing OL in the NFL.

Texas
04-01-2006, 02:07 PM
Because of his last season injury we wont have to pay him much. I think he will be a pretty good addition for our depth

Steve5118
04-01-2006, 02:34 PM
[QUOTE=Grid] If we have Moulds.. that leaves are two biggest holes at DB, OT, and OG. QUOTE]

Um, :wacko: wouldn't that be 3 holes. :cool:

aj.
04-01-2006, 02:40 PM
I guess I have to put in a sentence to preserve all caps?

OT, CB, MLB, FS

weird

dalemurphy
04-01-2006, 04:33 PM
He turns 30 on May 22,still fairly young.But fits the mold for our line.
He has been all over the board playing OG and OT in his college career and he even started his career at University of Idaho. He is a tough guy with a good motor and he is a pretty solid fundamental player. He has good overall run blocking skills, plays with decent leverage and knee bend and does a nice job of staying on his feet and finishing the block. He has adequate, but not great range as a pass blocker, but is very effective when he locks on. He has more than enough AA to get by at the OG position, although he may not have the range as a pass blocker to be a pure OT. He is a guy with enough intelligence and intensity to be a candidate as a swing OL in the NFL.

I was talking about Weigert being 34 years old