PDA

View Full Version : This Texans offseason grade has to be a solid B or A-

Frank_The_Tank
03-30-2006, 08:34 PM
At first I thought the offseason was looking bad when they picked up Sage Rosenfles (however you spell it), but I really think they came through on many major issues. DE, LB, TE, WR, OL my goodness this was a great offseason. Every guy they brought in could end up being a starter. DE is now solid, OLB and ILB is now solid, WR, if we get Moulds, is a complete 180 from last year. TE is by far the major issue I felt killed the Texas for years, and now we have a great pass catching TE and a great Blocking TE. The OL offseason additions have not been as great as I was wishing it would be, but we really let off some pressure by bringing in Flanagan. Center is solid and with Hodg and McK at guard and Pitts at LT things could really turn around next year. I am very excited about next year, I could care less who they pick in the draft, I think Kubiak is freaking awsome! I never dreamed the decisions and moves/direction a new coach can bring to a down and out ballclub could lift Texans Spirits like it has! I don't know about you people but I am going to guess that we can easily, if we stay healthy, break .500 next year. I feel like the choices being made now, and the players being brought in are moving the team in the right decision. Believe me people, if our guys can stay healthy, this time next year we are going to be talking about who we pray and hope will drop down far enough in the draft so we can get them! Texans offseason in my opinion, if they get Moulds, A-. If we fail to nabb Moulds I give our coaches a solid B texanpride

Mario Williams
03-30-2006, 08:36 PM
Once we get Bush, it's A+.

TexanFan881
03-30-2006, 08:42 PM
Once we get Bush, it's A+.

You mean Vince Young :jk:

Frank_The_Tank
03-30-2006, 08:48 PM
Yea the addition of Bush and or Young, I hate the debate, would be a driving factor for a solid A. I would only give them a A+ if they figured out a way to get both of those guys, Just Joking! I think regardless of who the pick up in the draft, they did a great job making decisions on guys who can step in and upgrade at every position. Look at the FB position, I think it was alot of money for the guy, but he does upgrade the position, plus he has played under a future Hall of Fame Fullback so you would hope that he has picked up on some of the knowledge that Alstot could give. Sage is a wonder for me becuase he was not a great backup in Miami, or a great starter at Iowa State, but the move should make a great preseason battle for the #2 spot. I hope that Pat Buc steps up next year, I think with the right coaching he can become a much better player, and since we have negleted to pick up any free agent CB maybe the coaching staff feels the some. It is a great time to be a Texan.:howdy:

texanskan
03-30-2006, 08:50 PM
At first I thought the offseason was looking bad when they picked up Sage Rosenfles (however you spell it), but I really think they came through on many major issues. DE, LB, TE, WR, OL my goodness this was a great offseason. Every guy they brought in could end up being a starter. DE is now solid, OLB and ILB is now solid, WR, if we get Moulds, is a complete 180 from last year. TE is by far the major issue I felt killed the Texas for years, and now we have a great pass catching TE and a great Blocking TE. The OL offseason additions have not been as great as I was wishing it would be, but we really let off some pressure by bringing in Flanagan. Center is solid and with Hodg and McK at guard and Pitts at LT things could really turn around next year. I am very excited about next year, I could care less who they pick in the draft, I think Kubiak is freaking awsome! I never dreamed the decisions and moves/direction a new coach can bring to a down and out ballclub could lift Texans Spirits like it has! I don't know about you people but I am going to guess that we can easily, if we stay healthy, break .500 next year. I feel like the choices being made now, and the players being brought in are moving the team in the right decision. Believe me people, if our guys can stay healthy, this time next year we are going to be talking about who we pray and hope will drop down far enough in the draft so we can get them! Texans offseason in my opinion, if they get Moulds, A-. If we fail to nabb Moulds I give our coaches a solid B texanpride

I agree 9-7 or 10-6 is possible just think two years ago we were 7-9 and think about how much more talent we will be working with this season. Not to mention a new attitute about becoming a winner!

When it's all said and done the grade will be a solid A and I just cant wait till espn and si.com redo their free agent rankings for teams there is no way we do not make the top five on every list.

It's football time in Houston baby!

Mr Shush
03-30-2006, 08:59 PM
While we will be going into next season with the best array of talent of any Texans team to date, we have a really tough schedule. Is this a winning team against our schedule from the last two years? Probably. Is it a winning team against this year's schedule, complete with the NFC East? I'm not so sure.

Frank_The_Tank
03-30-2006, 09:09 PM
I was looking at the sched. and you are right, next year does look tough, but guys this is the freaking NFL, every year is going to be tough. Indy lost their RB, we will have to wait and see what that does to thier team, but two years ago we were chomping at the bit during their games. Our D has had a complete face lift. Many of the guys here are going to feel more intouch with the 4-3 than the 3-4. Babin is heading to his bread and butter position. Orr will have a chance to get to the QB there at DE as well. Our DL will be more refreshed by the constant rotation. I love the D pick-ups this offseason. Shoot, we landed two impact starters in the DE and MLB. You always hear that a great D wins championships, and we have to belive that our D is now probably more solid than it has ever been. :rolleyes:

Mr Shush
03-30-2006, 09:20 PM
It'll take time for so many new starters to bed into a new system, with new terminology. I'm very optimistic for the next few years, but I don't think we've suddenly turned into a playoff team overnight.

Look at last year's Vikings. They signed a load of great new players on defense - better than our recent intake - and by half-way through the season they'd bedded and were a great D. The first half of the season, however, they stank, and this against an incredibly soft schedule. I'm afraid we may still need to be patient.

Trenches
03-30-2006, 09:41 PM
yeah, lets not get ahead of ourselves. there are many other teams that didnt have to go out and plug as many holes as we did. teams with guys who know their system. face it: we are plugging some holes with spares. that tells you how piss poor this team was and how devoid of talent it was.

I see all of our money being spent on offense and that is a BAD habit. I would like to think that McNair is crafty enough to think that since offense puts people in the stadium that he can load up on O, get people excited, pray some draft picks (both future and past) pan out on D, let a few contracts expire on O (especially on the O line), and then even out the cap spending.

defense wins championships.

Frank_The_Tank
03-30-2006, 09:49 PM
I agree we are not a overnight wonder team, but logic has to come into play somewhere. We picked up some great Defensve leadership in our MLB and DE, our Flanagan will bring a leading role for the OL, and with the addition of Moulds, and Walter our wide outs are finnaly something to fear. Moulds (The Teacher)is 6'2 215, Walter (aka sticky hands) 6'3 230, and Johnson (Boss Hog) is 6'3 225. If you compare that to last year and our recievers have grown 4 inches and added 30 lbs. We still have Mathis (aka The Flash), although he only caught 5 passes last year, but he was comming out of a small school and he needed some time to develop. He is like 6'1 his own self so this year when we are in the shotgun with 4 wide it is going to be hell on the DB's of opposing defenses. I have every resaon in the world to believe we can compete for a Playoff Spot, if not, at least .500. I will accept no less. This is about pride, it is about Heart, to sit hear and not believe in your team is such a waste of time. I stuck with the Astros all year last year, when I said we are going all the way my friends mocked me. When I said we are gonna make a run after the Break, the laughed at me. When we hit the post season they highfived me. Go Texans! The Bandwagon is here at the Station, care to jump on before it takes off! :wherewill

Caesar
03-30-2006, 10:37 PM
The addition of Moulds is impressive, but this off season can't be considered a success until we get another legitimately good offensive lineman or two. Flanagan is decent, but he isn't good enough to compensate for the other liabilities on our OL unit.

As of now, we only have three OL who are legit NFL starters- Flanagan, Pitts, and McKinney- and even they won't strike fear into anyone. The other "starters" need to be backups, at best.

the wonger need food
03-30-2006, 10:42 PM
As of now, we only have three OL who are legit NFL starters- Flanagan, Pitts, and McKinney- and even they won't strike fear into anyone. The other "starters" need to be backups, at best.

I believe that Weigert was considered our best lineman last year. If they shore up the RT spot this line can be at least average.

Mailman04
03-30-2006, 10:56 PM
It will be a perfect grade in my eyes if they follow thru on Moulds and then after they get Reggie. As one poster said< I would have liked to have seen another OLM thru FA, but now that they have filled some holes I like the idea of drafting the best available player after Reggie at No. 1. On first day, Houston gets four picks and if they use them wisely it should be a good season. I think they can win 10 games next year if things fall right or at least 9-7. I mean many thought they would do that last year and Capers and that staff let them down. Based on how good they were two years ago, I think Houston can have a winning record in the fall. Go Texans.

el toro
03-30-2006, 11:21 PM
Don't get excited, because you are a fan.

I know, that doesn't make a lot of sense to me either.

CoastalTexan
03-31-2006, 12:35 AM
I'd say A- because they didnt get a Vet Tackle or RG, but the draft is still up ahead so we shall see.

michaelm
03-31-2006, 03:14 AM
I'd say A- because they didnt get a Vet Tackle or RG, but the draft is still up ahead so we shall see.

I can get with that.

beerlover
03-31-2006, 05:01 AM
for whatever reason (Kubiac) this off-season the Texans have done a better job addressing needs with talented vets who not only will help the Texans win but also build the younger players skill & confidence. Once the Texans draft Reggie Bush, RT, CB & LB who will all be able to start, given open competition, this team will no longer be the laughing stock of the NFL :drool:

jerek
03-31-2006, 09:58 AM
I would give it a C+ to a B-, tops for the FA. I don't think it was phenomenal and there are guys I still would have liked us to pick up, and I think you are overreacting to our one decent to pretty good FA in contrast to four years of pretty much terrible FA action.

Still got the draft and we are doing well enough so far, but an A? Pardon me if I don't agree.

cap1
03-31-2006, 10:13 AM
I would give it a C+ to a B-, tops for the FA. I don't think it was phenomenal and there are guys I still would have liked us to pick up, and I think you are overreacting to our one decent to pretty good FA in contrast to four years of pretty much terrible FA action.

Still got the draft and we are doing well enough so far, but an A? Pardon me if I don't agree.

I respect your opinion. I believe that the Texans improved because they addressed glaring needs. Even if some of these players are older, the Texans cannot always address every area of need in the draft.

jerek
03-31-2006, 10:24 AM
I respect your opinion. I believe that the Texans improved because they addressed glaring needs. Even if some of these players are older, the Texans cannot always address every area of need in the draft.

Don't get me wrong: I didn't go into FA expecting some kind of miracle, or Kubes and Cass to sign every premier position FA available. I think that we have simply done much better than in any year I can remember. We have picked up some pretty good players at positions of need, and we have let some slip through our fingers that I would liked to see us get (resign Gaffney, etc.) If we seal this Moulds deal, I think that also would be a good, hard step in the right direction: gives us a legitimate, veteran #2 -- albeit an aging #2.

We have done pretty well for ourselves, but I simply reserve the right to withhold an 'A' grade, because an A would indicate excellence that I feel we have not achieved to this point. We have, for once, shown up in the FA and made solid progress, and I hope we can continue that trend through the draft, particularly in the second and third rounds where we frequently seem to make screwy deals.

And please, fellas ... don't screw up the #1 pick.

TheOgre
03-31-2006, 10:26 AM
You mean Vince Young :jk:

If you are a Raiders fan, you are correct.

Texans Horror
03-31-2006, 10:58 AM
The biggest upgrade was the coaching staff, and I think that will pay dividends. As some people have mentioned, we just have some crappy players. Upgrading from crappy to average is better than staying in dung city, so I'll take that any day. Our best acquisitions, IMO, have been Weaver, Flanagan, and Moulds (assuming we get him). I don't know if they did a good job or an excellent job, and maybe it's because I'm used to failure from this team, but FA looked real good. We have patched a lot of holes, which makes me wonder what we are going to do in the draft. I still see Reggie at #1, but then maybe going for linemen, defensive and offensive. These are players that need time to come to fruition. I also wonder if we are going to answer any defensive secondary questions.

bigTEXan8
03-31-2006, 11:40 AM
I'm impressed with this year's offseason, at least up to date. I would give the FO a B/B+.

Frank_The_Tank
03-31-2006, 11:49 AM
Oh my gosh, I completely forgot about picking up Kubiak. Well then, we are a complete 180 from last year. Bob Mcnair has to be loving this offseason. You bring in this coach, he cuts all the old guys, brings in new guys that actuallly upgrade theit position. This really was a solid B+ offseason. I think Clevland gets my A because of the all the super players they were able to get, but WOW with the addition to Kubiak (who my dumb blank forgot) to my off-season moves thought process, this is no doubt a B+ I don't care who you are. 5 more Months till preseason :drool:

blockhead83
03-31-2006, 12:05 PM
If we don't land Moulds I'd give our FO a B+. If we DO land Moulds I'd give them an A-. You have to remember, we are coming off of a 2-14 season, you can't expect us to sign many all-pro players who are going to want to sign with a contender. Based on our current situation the front office did very well, IMO, they filled needs with solid players who have good character. They also signed players who would allow us to let the draft come to us, amplifying our chances of a good draft. If we were a team who was in the playoffs last year, you might grade our offseason as a C+/B-, but considering our current situation we have put ourselves in position for a turnaround next season, and that deserved atleast a B+ IMO.

The one position, besides #2 receiver if we don't get Moulds, that I really feel we need to address is cornerback. Faggins makes a decent nickel back, and Buchanon is just horrible if last season is any indication. We need to acquire a real competitor to line up opposite Dunta, #2 corner was a gaping weakness for us last season.

el toro
03-31-2006, 12:07 PM
One day when we look back, this will be an A+ offseason. The twin acquisitions of Kubiak and Bush will lead this team to a SB. Mark it down.

Big78
03-31-2006, 02:22 PM
We still have Mathis (aka The Flash), although he only caught 5 passes last year, but he was comming out of a small school and he needed some time to develop. He is like 6'1 his own self...

He is 5'10'' by most measurments and 5'11'' by the generous ones so dont expect him to have any step up on corners on that point. Anyone know mathis's verticle though?

HJam72
03-31-2006, 03:12 PM
Assuming they don't do something really stupid in the draft, I have to give them a solid A (maybe better after it) right now. Flanagan, Moulds (soon), Putzier, Cowart, releasing Bradford, etc....it's all good.

whiskeyrbl
03-31-2006, 03:15 PM
Solid B+ maybe an A ,depending on Moulds. Either way best offseason in franchise history.

NeViKaN
03-31-2006, 05:21 PM
Aggree 100%

Now we need a Corner and SS. Wow what do you think Capers is saying right now? He's got to be dieing hearing people say that we'd be better just with coaching.

edo783
03-31-2006, 05:58 PM
Land Moulds...solid "B". Without..."C+"

dalemurphy
03-31-2006, 06:25 PM
Aggree 100%

Now we need a Corner and SS. Wow what do you think Capers is saying right now? He's got to be dieing hearing people say that we'd be better just with coaching.

we need a CB, an OT, and a FS... we have three SS that all have promise: CC Brown, Earl, R.Walker.

This would make it an A+:

1. Bush
1B. Tye Hill (trade 33rd pick and 4th round pick to move into mid 20s)
3A. Colledge
3B. Ced Griffin (move to FS)

or..

1. Ferguson
2. Cromartie
3A. MDrew
3B. Ced Griffin

NeViKaN
04-01-2006, 01:17 AM
we need a CB, an OT, and a FS... we have three SS that all have promise: CC Brown, Earl, R.Walker.

This would make it an A+:

1. Bush
1B. Tye Hill (trade 33rd pick and 4th round pick to move into mid 20s)
3A. Colledge
3B. Ced Griffin (move to FS)

or..

1. Ferguson
2. Cromartie
3A. MDrew
3B. Ced Griffin

Sorry your right I ment FS.

Bobo
04-01-2006, 01:29 AM

Until this team proves that it is more than a 2-14 team, the best you can give their offseason is an incomplete. Always remember this: You are what your record says you are, and that record at this point is 14 losses in 16 games.

HJam72
04-01-2006, 01:35 AM
Until this team proves that it is more than a 2-14 team, the best you can give their offseason is an incomplete. Always remember this: You are what your record says you are, and that record at this point is 14 losses in 16 games.

You shouldn't judge this offseason by last year's record any more than you should judge last year's record by this offseason. It's their effort to improve the team that we are looking at here, not whether they will go undefeated and find a cure for cancer.

Bobo
04-01-2006, 01:46 AM
You shouldn't judge this offseason by last year's record any more than you should judge last year's record by this offseason. It's their effort to improve the team that we are looking at here, not whether they will go undefeated and find a cure for cancer.

Until they change it on the field, they are still a 2-14 team. I personally am not convinced that their changes will better the product on the field and believe that those folks that are gushing about these moves are wearing rose-colored glasses while engaging in wishful thinking.

Texans#1
04-01-2006, 09:28 AM
I'll give are offseason an A+ This was are best offseason Than EVER!

GO texans!!!!!!!

DominickDavisFan76
04-01-2006, 09:38 AM
If we don't land Moulds

we have already agreed a contract with him so he is ours

but I will have to give this offseason a solid A

because we are going to take bush, we filled holes on both the offensive side and defensive side of the ball, and that leaves us with like 5 more draft picks.

so that means we should take one more OLman and then maybe a S.

Apoch
04-03-2006, 01:55 AM
He is 5'10'' by most measurments and 5'11'' by the generous ones so dont expect him to have any step up on corners on that point. Anyone know mathis's verticle though?

Mathis had a 34 1/2" vertical at the combine with a 4.28 in the 40 yd dash.

Here is his NFL.com draft profile. (http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/2005/mathis_jerome)

He is an absolute burner, plain and simple. Like all sprinters, Mathis seems to just keep accelerating the longer he runs, but he is not a crazy leaper.

As for the main topic, I would have to agree with those that give this off-season a B+/A- grade. If the draft goes well I could easily up that grade to the A/A+ range, but we'll wait and see. With the FA acquisitions the only real needs we have in the draft are OT depth, WLB, and the secondary (which is a big weakness). Besides those we can go BPA.

Quick (realistic) Fantasy Mock:
1) Reggie Bush, (BPA)
2) Donte Whitner or Ko Simpson (Safety) or one of the top CBs if available
3a) Thomas Howard (WLB)
3b) Greg Eslinger (O-line depth and BPA)
4) Paul McQuistain or Joe Toledo (Tackle)
5) (traded to Buffalo)
6) BPA
7a) BPA
7b) BPA

Coach C.
04-03-2006, 06:08 AM
Apoch your mock while fantasy is a little off. First the third round is reaches and guys that would not be worth it. Thomas Howard is fast and that is about all, he is not a very good LB, Greg Eslinger is nice, but we just paid 9M for a C. McQuistan is terrible trust me on this one.

As far as the offseason grade it cannot be rated better than a C and it is likely a C- or D+. Eric Moulds for a 5th round pick goes a long way to improving that, but as of right now it has not been impressive. I am not a person that wants or expects the hugest names to be signed, but if you are going to go after mid-level talent pay them like mid-level talent.

coachdent
04-03-2006, 07:02 AM
Apoch your mock while fantasy is a little off. First the third round is reaches and guys that would not be worth it. Thomas Howard is fast and that is about all, he is not a very good LB, Greg Eslinger is nice, but we just paid 9M for a C. McQuistan is terrible trust me on this one.

As far as the offseason grade it cannot be rated better than a C and it is likely a C- or D+. Eric Moulds for a 5th round pick goes a long way to improving that, but as of right now it has not been impressive. I am not a person that wants or expects the hugest names to be signed, but if you are going to go after mid-level talent pay them like mid-level talent.

I think D+/C- might be a tad bit of the negative Nancy! How can a team bring in potentially five to six starters and still some folks say "not impressive".

I'd be interested to hear which names you were looking at to make the free agency period A+ material. If you don't think that Eric Moulds is a tremendous upgrade from Gaffney AND Corey Bradford, then I have some swampland in New Jersey I'd love to sell you. We have pressing needs on the offensive line and we get a proven player in Flanagan. Favre may very well retire because this guy is gone. ND Kalu will play a ton on a defensive line that was Swiss cheese last year. Jeb Putzier is a nice tight end who is familiar with the offense, can catch the ball and block... imagine that in a Texan tight end? Anthony Weaver will play.... what did you want?

The Titans paid Kevin Mawae, center from NYJets, $13M over 4 years. So Flanagan's number of $9M over 3 years is ridiculous? Seems pretty much in line with NFL finances to me. In fact, running down most of the NFL linemen's numbers, all of them pretty much fetched $3 million per. Hutchinson went for 7 years and $49 million as he was certainly the biggest fish. If you are going to fault the Texans for not getting him then I guess you have to go with your gut instinct and call this free agency a bust.... I tend to disagree. I'm pretty excited.

I'll also give you 24 reasons at 225 pounds to be excited as well. HINT: It moves at a rate of 4.33 seconds over 40 yards!:redtowel:

Apoch
04-03-2006, 10:55 AM

There is more to it than what you said. It is easy to say that "this guy isn't all that great," but even in this draft (as deep as it is), third round players have weaknesses. I think you are overlooking some huge strengths in you assessment.

First, at the 65th pick can you give me a guy with more upside at the WLB spot than Howard would be? You say he is only fast. I agree with you as far as scouts do. They say he is a little raw, but no one questions his athleticism. He impressed at the senior bowl (playing with better competition than he faced at UTEP) and did as expected in skills workouts at the combine. Some people even have Howard pegged in the late first round, going to Indy. He would actually be a great pick if he survived 'til the third.

Eslinger? I may be mistaken, but I did say "or BPA" next to his name. Eslinger is one of the best interior lineman prospects in the draft, and he already worked in a zone blocking system at Minnesota. Of course any BPA would do for the 66th pick, and Eslinger is one of those people who could be that BPA.

As for McQuistain I have to agree that I have my doubts about him. He has only come on since workouts started and he seems like one that will never be able to up his game much further than it is. I think the main point was that a LT/RT to groom is a good pick in the 4th, and Toledo, McQuistain, and even the guy from Syracuse - who's name escapes me - would be good at that pick.

kbourda
04-03-2006, 11:47 AM
Considering past off seasons' this is easily a B to B+. While I feel the addition of Moulds (still in progress transaction), Cowart, and the entire coaching staff are leaps and bounds above anything we have seen the past four years, I still want to see the product on the field. I can understand where all of the optimism is coming from.

infantrycak
04-08-2006, 01:52 AM
From an outside source, the Texans get the only A:

A - Houston Texans. The Kubiak-era begins with a strong showing in the off-season. I am quite excited about watching David Carr run an offence while not being concerned about being continuously sacked. Mike Flanagan and Jeb Putzier should help solidify things on the offensive line, while the running game will be much improved this year.

Link (http://www.nfldraftblitz.com/offseasonreview.htm)

Bobo
04-08-2006, 01:30 PM

The guys they picked up are mostly old and beaten up or NFL rejects that would be available during expansion. If the Texans are going to get anywhere, it will have to come through the draft and it will take a while. That's why they have to throw their entire draft into the line and defense. That way they have plenty of choices if some guys don't work out. They already were solid at WR with Johnson and Gaffney, RB with Davis and his backups, and QB with Carr. No reason to waste any time messing with that core. They should concentrate fully on their weaknesses. FA for them has been pretty average. You could say Moulds was a good pickup, but look what happened to him in Buffalo when the QB couldn't get him the ball. That will happen again in Houston if they don't get that line in shape mighty quick.