PDA

View Full Version : Bad News....

texan279
05-06-2004, 06:33 AM
Just read on abc13.com Marcus Coleman was arrested for DWI at 2:15am this morning after slamming his Mercedes into a tree. :um:

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
05-06-2004, 07:09 AM
come on Marcus, keep your head on straight. :(

BigTex
05-06-2004, 07:29 AM
WOW! If true this is big, the leauge may hand down a suspension wich would give someone a saftey spot to try and win.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
05-06-2004, 07:40 AM
this should be his first strike so i dont think he'll get a suspension from the league.

Dreadpiratebonzz
05-06-2004, 07:50 AM
Let's hope they don't suspend him. With Robinson comming in at DB and Marcus moving to safety, this could be one hell of a year to be a Texan fan. Marcus is going to turn into one of the leagues prime safetys. He has the size, speed, and mindset to get the job done. All we have to do is sit back and wait.

JDizzle
05-06-2004, 08:02 AM
Well I have GREAT news - I just saved a ton of money on my car insurance by switching to GEICO.

El Tejano
05-06-2004, 08:18 AM
Man this is rough news. I just hope Marcus can pay his debt (meaning time or anything) for what ever charges he gets. This way he can put it behind him and get on the field to prove himself to his teammates.

infantrycak
05-06-2004, 08:22 AM
WOW! If true this is big, the leauge may hand down a suspension wich would give someone a saftey spot to try and win.

SBT should be correct about the first offense. That typically puts them into the being watched program. 2nd offense is 4 game suspension.

On a positive note, one of the 610 am guys said this morning that he had talked to one of the guys that scouted Coleman coming out of college. The scout said Coleman was a huge hitter back then--hopefully he can regain that style.

CaptainPatriot
05-06-2004, 08:38 AM
Wow! I think he should be suspended for at least a YR! I`m sorry but that is a serious charge. What if that tree was a person this morning? In America we take it to easy on drunk drivers :-( Look at Little for the Rams he KILLED a woman who was a Mom and a Wife! He still playing football! ;-( Should be in jail for life!
http://www.cracksmoker.com/NFL/NFL%20LittleL.htm

TexanNut
05-06-2004, 08:47 AM
Any confirmation? Hopefully, he (or anyone else) wasn't hurt.

El Tejano
05-06-2004, 08:48 AM
I hope the team shows some kind of discplinary action as well. We need our young guys who haven't been in the league long enough to learn and see how your actions off the field effect your teammates.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
05-06-2004, 08:52 AM
Wow! I think he should be suspended for at least a YR! I`m sorry but that is a serious charge. What if that tree was a person this morning? In America we take it to easy on drunk drivers :-( Look at Little for the Rams he KILLED a woman who was a Mom and a Wife! He still playing football! ;-( Should be in jail for life!

wasnt Ty Law arrested a few weeks ago?

mes311
05-06-2004, 08:59 AM
Last year Coleman was suspended for a game for something, although I can't remember what. Peek was also suspended for that same game. I'm sure he will face some kind of team disciplinary action is he's convicted based on the Texans past history.

keyfro
05-06-2004, 09:00 AM
Texans' Coleman jailed on DWI charge after wreck
By S.K. BARWELL
Copyright 2004 Houston Chronicle

Houston Texan defensive back Marcus Coleman was arrested for drunken driving after wrecking his car in southwest Houston early today.

Coleman was driving his 2005 Mercedes on Kirby when Houston police said the car veered off the road around 2:15 a.m. and struck a tree near Richmond.

Police said it was unclear where Coleman had been prior to the accident.

Coleman, who came to the Texans in the expansion draft two years ago, was not injured in the wreck. Police said his car suffered enough damage to cause its air bags to deploy.

Coleman was taken to police facilities for testing and is now in the process of posting bail for his release, officers said.

come on coleman...this isn't you at all

El Tejano
05-06-2004, 09:01 AM
Coleman was suspended for a game due to a late arrival or no show at a team meeting.

V Man
05-06-2004, 09:05 AM
Well I have GREAT news - I just saved a ton of money on my car insurance by switching to GEICO.

Too funny.

Seriously, I agree with some of you, the Texans should lay some punishment on him, maybe a game or two. Don't want players thinking they can get away with this type of behavior. :banana: :pepper: :carrot:

Shotgun30
05-06-2004, 09:07 AM
Last year he was passed out in his car on 59 in Sugarland......The officer did not give him a DWI, but rather driving without a license.

Oh by the way.....he was drinking at Taco Milagro last night....Sharper was there too.....And Patrick Ewing.....

geka
05-06-2004, 09:17 AM
I would not be shocked if the Texans cut Coleman.

We know Coleman has not been suspended for 4 games, but we have no idea if the random drug test have busted him in the past.

This is the Texans first run in with a player like this and they have avoided players like this in the past like the plague. Hopefully we stick to our guns and dont let this go by without much being said.

Shotgun30
05-06-2004, 09:25 AM
FYI - Coleman's one game suspension came the same week he found on 59 passed out.....it was pushed under the radar.....I think this is a serious problem for him

V Man
05-06-2004, 09:37 AM
I would not be shocked if the Texans cut Coleman.

Man that would suck, (not that I'm promoting his type of behavior). It looks like our secondary is starting to take shape and Coleman goes and does something stupid. I know he is the one to blame, but we are the ones who might suffer if you know what I mean.

V Man
05-06-2004, 09:38 AM
Do you think with this happening, will the Texans have renewed interest in Darius from Jacksonville if he is released on June 1?

AlexVanderpool
05-06-2004, 09:48 AM
Let's hope they don't suspend him. With Robinson comming in at DB and Marcus moving to safety, this could be one hell of a year to be a Texan fan. Marcus is going to turn into one of the leagues prime safetys. He has the size, speed, and mindset to get the job done. All we have to do is sit back and wait.

Spoken like a true aggie

CaptainPatriot
05-06-2004, 09:55 AM
wasnt Ty Law arrested a few weeks ago?
yes he was for at least the 2nd time. Arrested before for trying to bring Extasy Drug across from Canada

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
05-06-2004, 09:59 AM
yes he was for at least the 2nd time. Arrested before for trying to bring Extasy Drug across from Canada

so do you think he should be suspended from the NFL for a year or possibly banned? afterall, drug trafficing is a much more serious crime.

geka
05-06-2004, 10:03 AM
For running from the law and resisting arrest I would not be shocked if the NFL suspended him for awhile they take run ins with the law seriously. As soon as he pleads guilty or is convicted it will come down.

sprtsfanatic
05-06-2004, 10:04 AM

Sounds like a standup kind of guy...he should be emmulated throughout the league...and you have the nerve to open your mouth about one of our Texans??? give me a break.

El Tejano
05-06-2004, 10:05 AM
I wonder if the position change is having a negative affect on Coleman. I mean, we heard Capers tell us what Coleman "said", we heard what Aaron Glenn had to say about it, heck we even heard what Dunta Robinson had to say but we never received a word from Coleman.

Not that it is an excuse but doesn't it kind of make you wonder?

Joe Texan
05-06-2004, 10:07 AM
After a night out with the fellows he is driving home when all of a sudden there is this big chunk of concrete missing from the road. He hit this crater which put a 4 inch dent in his passenger rim and sent him careening off onto a tree. As he had been out with the fellows he probably had a few drinks which caused the Cop to pee his pants. " Hey fellows I got Marcus Coleman and he has been drinking and had a wreck. Man this might help my cowpies."

That was a joke but really the city has a problem with failed roadways compliments of Former Mayor Lee Browns ability to chanel funds for street repairs straight into his Africa/China trips. Had he not hit the chunk of missing concrete he would have made it home fine. Wrong place at the wrong time. :party:

Blake
05-06-2004, 10:13 AM
I dont think he should have the same punishment as Little. Little killed a person and got 1/2 a year suspension. Marcus just hit a tree. Lets just hope they give him a break, and he learns from this mistake.

geka
05-06-2004, 10:34 AM
Just heard on the radio a press confrence within an hour by the Texans. Think he is gone?

gwallaia
05-06-2004, 10:45 AM
I just don't see the Texans cutting Coleman.
A $500,000 fine would send a message to him. He needs help and the Texans need him in the backfield.

Joe Texan
05-06-2004, 11:20 AM
:pickle:

Mr. McNair runs a tight ship.

He will be made an example of.

Hey Greg, theres a Jaguar trying to eat your avatar

gwallaia
05-06-2004, 11:29 AM
:
Hey Greg, theres a Jaguar trying to eat your avatar

No way Joe. That's a Cougar and he is roaring his approval at the Texans logo. :pepper:

keyfro
05-06-2004, 11:32 AM
first of all the league really has no buisness getting involved in an off the field incident...they don't have any judical powers...this didn't happen on the field or during a game so they should stay out of it...if the texans as an oraganization do something that's different...personally i don't think he deserves to be cut...a fine of $500,000 is crazy to me...half a million for a something that isn't a felony...this ticket carries the same weight as a speeding ticket guys...how many of ya'll have gotten a speeding ticket...how many of ya'll have driven home after throwing back a couple just without something happening...bottom line i'm sure the texans will either suspend him for the opening game...or fine him around $50,000...anything more and i would be shocked...i do not agree with driving drunk...but i also realize that he hit a tree, spent the night in jail, will have to do community service for this, and has to face the embarrisment of nation hearing about it...not to mention get his car fixed...if anything else this whole event is punishment enough for him

gwallaia
05-06-2004, 11:35 AM
I use the amount of $500,000 to set an example for Coleman as well as the other players that this type of behavior is not acceptable. It may be off the field but he is a high-profile person representing the Texans.

$500,000 is steep enough to hurt him and persuade others not to act like this :monkey:

A $500,000 fine to a professional athlete is like a $100 fine to you and me; it sucks, but we can deal with it.

wiley2002
05-06-2004, 11:39 AM
There should be tougher penalties on athletes who make dumb mistakes like this. Any ideas?

Shotgun30
05-06-2004, 11:40 AM
This is a lot more than speeding ticket.........

Shotgun30
05-06-2004, 12:05 PM
Rent a limo, he has the money! *****!

dalemurphy
05-06-2004, 12:12 PM

Pardon me, but why should someone be punished for being CHARGED with a crime?

keyfro
05-06-2004, 12:23 PM
in the laws eyes this ticket is no different than a speeding ticket...and there should be tougher penelties because he's an athlete? give me a break guys that's wrong...to say just because you make money playing a game the rules should be different for you...that's bs...that's the samething as saying the rules should be different because of your race, creed, or nationality...i'll let mcnair decide the the amount of the fine...but honestly people just because he makes more money playing a game doesn't mean he should get any special privilages or punishments

geka
05-06-2004, 12:33 PM
Coleman is a player in the NFL. The NFL unlike MLB cares about its public immage. If you screw up, the NFL and the player's team can punish you. If he wants to be a drunkard, smoke pot, sniff crack and use roids or break the law he picked the wrong sport. Just because its ok to do that stuff in MLB dont mean its ok in the NFL and thats one of the reasons many people love the NFL.

keyfro
05-06-2004, 12:36 PM
everyone was also like this about ramon walker when he got into a little skuffle in a bar this time last year...people wanted him to be cut...well he wasn't and in a few weeks everyone forgot that he had been arrested...i expect the same to be done here...this is coleman's first real offense since the supposed passing out on 59 was never made public if it indeed happened...i just think it's funny that people in this country follow actors and athletes mis-behaviors so closely and make such a big deal out of something that happens everyday with normal people...then demand such harsh punishments for them but when it happens to your neighbor it's well just do your community service or take defensive driving and everything will be ok

mes311
05-06-2004, 12:38 PM
I wonder if the position change is having a negative affect on Coleman. I mean, we heard Capers tell us what Coleman "said", we heard what Aaron Glenn had to say about it, heck we even heard what Dunta Robinson had to say but we never received a word from Coleman.

Not that it is an excuse but doesn't it kind of make you wonder?

Last night, I think it was Southwest Sports Report, someone asked Coleman that question. He said he was fine with the move, if that's what was best for the team. Seemed like a good answer, that's why I was a little suprised to hear the news this morning.

Hervoyel
05-06-2004, 12:39 PM
in the laws eyes this ticket is no different than a speeding ticket...and there should be tougher penelties because he's an athlete? give me a break guys that's wrong...to say just because you make money playing a game the rules should be different for you...that's bs...that's the samething as saying the rules should be different because of your race, creed, or nationality...i'll let mcnair decide the the amount of the fine...but honestly people just because he makes more money playing a game doesn't mean he should get any special privilages or punishments

I beg to differ with you on the comparison with a speeding ticket. It is very different than a speeding ticket. For starters a DWI conviction does not magically drop off of your record like a speeding ticket does after a set number of years (I believe it's 7 but I could be wrong about that). His drivers license (assuming he is convicted) will be suspended for some length of time. First offense it shouldn't be more than a year.

The state has completely lost it's sense of humor over DWI/DUI. I personally am a pretty "law and order" type of person but I think that much in the way the schools have gone overboard with their zero tolerance approach the law has gone overboard on first offenses for DWI/DUI. The prosecute it very zealously and have turned it into what (IMO) a second offense should be. Basically I feel like a first offense (regardless of how much money you make or what you do for a living) should be a lot closer to a speeding ticket (unless an injury accident is involved in which case it should escalate) and subsequent offenses should be big time hammer droppings that either set you straight or put an end to your driving days.

keyfro
05-06-2004, 12:39 PM
a drunkard?...besides this offense how many other times has coleman been in trouble with law concerning similar cases like this...huh?...where is your proof that he is a drunkard or does any other drugs? don't assume that just because something bad happened last night that he does it all the time...you don't know him personally

Shotgun30
05-06-2004, 12:43 PM
i know the officer that found coleman that night on 59S.....but that does not matter....he should be punished by the team in someway or form b/c he has broken the law. And I don't care what you say DWI is more than a speeding ticket.....

keyfro
05-06-2004, 12:45 PM
ok Hervoyel you got me there...and i concur with that the dwi is more serious than a speeding ticket...the main point i was trying to get accross with comparing it to a speeding ticket is that it is not a felony...unless someone is hurt in the incident which in this case no one was...thankfully...your right that the state has gone overboard with first time offenders...and i'm not trying to stand up here and protect coleman from anything...he'll get his punishment from both the team and the state...i'm not trying to make excuses for him either...he should have gotten a ride home...my thing is people wanting to make an example out of him...i don't agree with that one bit...i don't agree with people wanting him to be cut for this or thinking that the NFL should do anything about his...just like i don't believe the law should get involved in a fight that breaks out during a game...this is not an easy situation and this is just my opinion...anyone can debate this with me...i'll make my points as will everyone else

Shotgun30
05-06-2004, 12:46 PM
keyfro I agree with your last comment

geka
05-06-2004, 12:50 PM
You misunderstood me I guess, some people think breaking the law is bad, but public figures should not be held to higher standards like baseball.

Baseball is on a huge downward turn and sucks, thankfully the NFL holds its players to higher standards

keyfro
05-06-2004, 12:55 PM
hopefully this whole experience will be one of life's little leasons for coleman and one that he'll hopefully learn...i hope the rest of the team sees the pain that can be caused with something like this and learns from it as well...i'm sure the texans and coleman can move on from this and maybe just maybe bring the organization closer together...here's a hint to the texans this should be a reason to start getting involved in some sort of Texan's against drunk driving program...having the texans collectively with the city of houston set up some sort of program with metro where it is easier to find a bus or a cab around the bars in houston...anything to make our city safer

Blake
05-06-2004, 01:02 PM

It sets a bad example for his fans. It sets a bad example for the people who love the NFL. The NFL has every right to suspend him for off field issues. If he wants to be apart of something special (THE NFL) then he needs to be more responsible.

keyfro
05-06-2004, 01:16 PM
It sets a bad example for his fans. It sets a bad example for the people who love the NFL. The NFL has every right to suspend him for off field issues. If he wants to be apart of something special (THE NFL) then he needs to be more responsible.

i don't agree with that...i think if the NFL wanted to better their public image they would have allowed payton manning to wear black hightops for johny u's death instead of fining chris redman for doing so...no one blames the NFL for off the field issues...and like i said they are not a judical body of this country...they are not exactly his employeers either...the texans are...they i believe have the power to punish him in whatever way they see fit...the nfl is another story i don't buy into them punishing him...i didn't happen on the field they should stay away from it

Porky
05-06-2004, 01:53 PM
I beg to differ with you on the comparison with a speeding ticket. It is very different than a speeding ticket. For starters a DWI conviction does not magically drop off of your record like a speeding ticket does after a set number of years (I believe it's 7 but I could be wrong about that). His drivers license (assuming he is convicted) will be suspended for some length of time. First offense it shouldn't be more than a year.

The state has completely lost it's sense of humor over DWI/DUI. I personally am a pretty "law and order" type of person but I think that much in the way the schools have gone overboard with their zero tolerance approach the law has gone overboard on first offenses for DWI/DUI. The prosecute it very zealously and have turned it into what (IMO) a second offense should be. Basically I feel like a first offense (regardless of how much money you make or what you do for a living) should be a lot closer to a speeding ticket (unless an injury accident is involved in which case it should escalate) and subsequent offenses should be big time hammer droppings that either set you straight or put an end to your driving days.

I for one am happy that they have lost their sense of humor on this issue. It only takes one time to kill or maim someone for life. Talk to some parents of children who were killed by first time offenders, and I don't think they'll want it treated like a speeding ticket. After the fact is a bit late imo. You can't put that Genie back in the bottle. They are sending a message loud and clear that drinking and driving won't be tolerated, and I for one, am pretty happy about that.

Blake
05-06-2004, 02:03 PM
no one blames the NFL for off the field issues...and like i said they are not a judical body of this country...they are not exactly his employeers either...the texans are...they i believe have the power to punish him in whatever way they see fit...the nfl is another story i don't buy into them punishing him...i didn't happen on the field they should stay away from it

The NFL suspended Leonard Little for eight games in 1999, but life went on and in 2002 the St. Louis Rams re-worked Little's contract, signing him to a five-year, $17.5 million deal.

The NFL WILL be involved.

rittenhouserobz
05-06-2004, 02:05 PM
I just wanted to make a note. It was May 5th. I remember 2 years ago I had a rough night. Of course, I couldn't drive. I don't thnk the position change is a factor. I am not going to prosecute somebody before the evidence. I know that there are many overzealous authority figures that would love to nab a celebrity. I will help put in perspective. At least, he did not pull a Kobe and get stuck in a scandal like that. I hope they don't get rid of him. He seems like an genuinely decent person who deserves a second chance. To forgive is divine.

wags
05-06-2004, 02:10 PM
Yes, I totally agree, lets have Marcus Coleman quartered and then fine him. I think we should hold athletes to way higher standards than regular people. Let's make sure he gets a severe punishment to teach him that he will not be treated like everyone else. In fact, I say we give him the same punishment Ted Kennedy got for driving drunk off a bridge and killing some woman(who wasn't his wife), then fled the scene to be found later at his house. Coleman has to learn that if you are going to drive drunk you better change your last name to Kennedy.

El Tejano
05-06-2004, 02:13 PM
I hope they don't get rid of Coleman either. My fear is that the NFL steps in and does something. After all we are The Texans, not The Patriots or Colts or Packer or any other high profile team like that so it wouldn't hurt the NFL to suspend a player from our team meanwhile let the other players in the league take witness. That is my only fear.

I too believe that when Coleman has to answer to his teammates and fans, the embarassment and punishment will be all over him.

Also, I think we need to thank the good Lord that Coleman is still with us today and we aren't mourning over him. I sure hopes he learns from this.

Blake
05-06-2004, 02:19 PM
Gadsden (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1785565)

Coleman not alone.

Blake
05-06-2004, 02:24 PM
Yes, I totally agree, lets have Marcus Coleman quartered and then fine him. I think we should hold athletes to way higher standards than regular people. Let's make sure he gets a severe punishment to teach him that he will not be treated like everyone else. In fact, I say we give him the same punishment Ted Kennedy got for driving drunk off a bridge and killing some woman(who wasn't his wife), then fled the scene to be found later at his house. Coleman has to learn that if you are going to drive drunk you better change your last name to Kennedy.

You are being dumb here.

"The NFL's guideline for a drunken-driving conviction is a fine of half a regular-season game check up to $20,000, barring unusual circumstances. Subsequent violations result in increased discipline as determined by the commissioner, Aiello said."

If you want to play in the NFL, you have to play by their rules. Its not that hard to understand.

wags
05-06-2004, 02:27 PM
No, I'm being sarcastic here. Those aren't just planes flying over your head.

Blake
05-06-2004, 02:32 PM
No, I'm being sarcastic here. Those aren't just planes flying over your head.

Its kinda hard to tell if someone is being sarcastic on a computer. Its sometimes hard to comprehend your incoherent rambling.

wags
05-06-2004, 02:40 PM
Just trying to bring some levity to the thread. Dead issue.

dalemurphy
05-06-2004, 02:55 PM

Being charged with a crime does not mean that he's committed one! That's the point. The NFL has no right to punish someone simply for an accusation, whether the accusation was made by a policeman or anyone else... If he pleads guilty or is convicted of a crime, then the NFL has cause to consider punishment.

By the way, I don't think I need Marcus Coleman to set an example for me on how and when to operate heavy machinery.

TEXANS84
05-06-2004, 03:14 PM
First offense seeing that he refused the breath test will suspend his license for 180 days after his ALR hearing. If he had provided a breath specimen his license would have been suspended for 90. His case mainly will be based on his ALR hearing which determines whether or not the state has credible evidence to pursue his license suspension (the video taped sobriety test is key in this hearing). 90% of people who win the ALR hearing get the charges dropped. He will also have to get an occupational drivers license (if his license is suspended) which will only allow him basically to drive certain routes to and from work. He will also be ordered to drive between certain hours per day...usually from 7 am to 9pm.

CaptainPatriot
05-06-2004, 03:28 PM
so do you think he should be suspended from the NFL for a year or possibly banned? afterall, drug trafficing is a much more serious crime.
I found this info on him a cpl months ago. They should have Banned him from the NFL! He is on my bad side any how after last month mouthing off! When you have money you get to walk. Look down the line of Movie Stars and Ball Players that have got in trouble over the yrs.

CaptainPatriot
05-06-2004, 03:45 PM
when you refuse Breath Test

Blake
05-06-2004, 03:54 PM
Bellamy (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/football/nfl/05/06/bc.fbn.bellamy.dwi.ap/index.html)

Another arrest.

CaptainPatriot
05-06-2004, 03:55 PM
Sounds like a standup kind of guy...he should be emmulated throughout the league...and you have the nerve to open your mouth about one of our Texans??? give me a break.
easy up SPRTSFANATIC! You having a bad day? Need to look at my last post. I like the Texans too! ;-) Hope your day went well.

V Man
05-06-2004, 03:56 PM
At this rate, they might need to start having AA sessions at the NFL players union meetings. :bag:

keyfro
05-06-2004, 05:54 PM
some of ya'll, i.e. CaptainPatriot, seem to want to deal out the punishment yourselves...even against your own player in ty law...which i find funny seeing how many years he's devoted himself to the new england patriots...not everything is as black and white as ya'll might like to believe...and remember he has only been charged with this misdemeanor i remind you...this isn't a felony...i know everyone has their own issues with me saying this but it's the law...it's only a misdemeanor...same as any traffic violations...and keep in mind this one the state does take more seriously...but speeding, not stopping at signals, and wreckless driving all kill people as well...so don't try and read too much into a DWI...people can blow a .09 and be given a DWI and that's a hundreth of a point above the legal limit...and with some people that's only 2 or 3 drinks...i know i'm a bartender...i see people leave my bar all the time get in their cars and leave...and i garentee you none of them should be driving...you want punishment to be so damn harsh because he's a player...that the nfl should get involved along with the texans...man i hope if you ever get pulled over for a misdemeanor your boss puts some extra punishment onto that so you know how it feels...i know let's get a camera crew out there too and show your picture all over the 6 o'clock news to everybody...the way this issue has been treated is silly...blown way out of purportion in my eyes...cause we hold our athletes to a higher standard...although good it does have it's bad points as well...remember you are a fan and should support your players and coaches with everything they do...not just through the good times

Joe Texan
05-06-2004, 08:00 PM
This will be dealt with by the NFL and the Texans and it will be dealt to Marcus himself. You have no authority to dish out any punishment so put a sock in it. We have the best front office in the NFL and they will deal whats fair. I will accept what they say and I will respect the innocent untill proven guilty rule. Every thing that is said about punishment is premature at this point. Patience is what will decide Marcus' and the teams fate.
I am sure Marcus will respect the "if you do the crime, then do the time" rule.

barlow12
05-06-2004, 08:04 PM
Where did you guys here this from??? This is horrable!!!

Fiddy
05-06-2004, 08:13 PM
Where did you guys here this from??? This is horrable!!!Canada knows and you dont?? :D

http://www.canada.com/sports/football/story.html?id=FDF59653-F254-42F9-9019-D0318BB31884

Boxscore
05-06-2004, 08:47 PM

Isn't it ironic that Coleman was a featured part of the local evening news the day before he was arrested? He was giving a motivation speech to a school somewhere. He was talking to the kids about how he has just started a real estate business to supplement his life after football.

I am a season ticket holder and have been excited about the Texan secondary since the draft, but I will support the organization 100% behind any disciplinary action they take against Coleman, including releasing him. However, before any action is taken against him, he must be found guilty. As of now he is innocent until proven guilty.

Fiddy
05-06-2004, 09:04 PM
...but I will support the organization 100% behind any disciplinary action they take against Coleman, including releasing him.I would NOT support the release him, that is a little too harsh. Roman Walker had a DWI last year, and all Capers did to him was give him a talk.

I dont think they are going to release him.

Boxscore
05-06-2004, 09:08 PM
Like I stated, I will support the organization's decision. What I think doesn't matter. It is not my team.

CoachJim
05-06-2004, 09:18 PM
They missed a team meeting I think.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
05-06-2004, 09:33 PM
release him? WOW, you guys need to lighten up a little.

Boxscore
05-06-2004, 09:41 PM
I do not want him to be released. I simply stated that I will support whatever the Texan organization decides to do. And I also strongly believe that no matter what decision they make, the defense that Coach Capers puts on the field will be sound.

I did not know about the finding of him passed out behind the wheel on US 59 in his past. Sounds like Marcus may still have a problem.

Ibar_Harry
05-06-2004, 10:26 PM
I don't like what happen, but the bail was set at a relatively low amount which would indicate may be this isn't a real big deal. May be he had a mechanical problem which of course resulted in him being tested. At least he's not a wife beater or any think like that. It was probably stupid on his part and hopefully he has learned a valueable lesson. In Fresno after the election a gentleman who had just been elected wound up having too much at his victory celebration and wound up with a DUI charge. Embarrassing, yes, but hopefully that's it. Its a personal mater which he will have to take care of and it happens to a lot of people. That doesn't make it right, but thank god no one was hurt or injured. The car can be replaced.

keyfro
05-06-2004, 11:14 PM
right...we can move on from this and hopefully be a wiser and better team because of this...coleman is a leader on this team and i expect him to take the punishment without compliant to show to the younger guys that he takes the responsiblity for his actions...that would speak volumes especially to the rookies to see a vet on the team show that kind of respect to the organization after a fault like this...coleman is a team player and i know he'll do the right thing

WWJD
05-06-2004, 11:20 PM
This type of behavior happens in all leagues. I expect the league will take the appropriate action as will the team.

He hopefully will learn a lesson as we all must sometimes-the hard way.

pittbull
05-07-2004, 07:18 AM
Don't forget, Marlon McCree is still on the roster and played a pretty god safety last season. Even if Coleman gets some sort of suspension, we may not miss too many steps!

RiotCommander
05-07-2004, 02:16 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1796402

Well, I know we can all make mistakes, but dang. This close to traning camp, and already having problems. Its a good thing he isn't our only safety option.

Dime
05-07-2004, 04:03 PM
I am very sad Marcus did this. This kinda of let me down on the type of person and morales he might have had. Everyone makes a mistake, very true, but Drinking and Driving is one of the worst things you can do. I hear a few who say.. "It is bad.. but not that bad.." Lose a daughter, son, friend, or someone to 'someone having a good time', and I think your opionon will change.

What do I think he should happen to him for punishment? No suspension, no release, no fine! I think his punishment needs to be for him to spend a certain amount of hours at the hospital (being on call) telling unlucky families the extremely hard job that thier family members or friends were injured or killed by drunk drivers that happens all to often. One of my friends recieved this punishment a few years ago in court... and it has stayed with him.. His quote "I didnt hurt anyone in my DWI, but after that experience.. I felt like each person I told about thier family members, I felt like it was my fault".

Just an Idea.

Wolf
05-07-2004, 04:22 PM
It is funny watching this. I really am suprised the NFL Oklahoma team fans aren't jumping on this to get some payback :D I am kidding of course.

Bottom line is this.. He made a mistake and Luckily noone was hurt. Coleman doesn't walk on water.. Heck even Steve McNair last year drank a little much. Many of us have drank a little much.

I think the problem with this is when people read "arested for DWI" the 1st thought is a person that is so drunk they can't walk and are stumbling all over. Sometimes that is the case and sometimes it isn't ..
State may prove intoxication in three (3) different ways:
- not having the normal use of physical faculties OR
- not having the normal use of mental faculties OR
- having an alcohol concentration of 0.08 or more.

Basically what that says is .08 is no doubt the line of charged with intoxication... I am sure you have seen some people drink one or 2 beers that have never really drank before.. well that is another way of DWI without the .08 boundary.. esp if you wreck or do something stupid..basically is that you can have lower than a .08 and still get a DWi.. (in general, and not saying Coleman was or wasn't lower than .08)

I read that Coleman didn't take the breath analyzer.. big whoop... almost everbody bypasses that if they think they are over .08 or have any doubts in their mind that they might be close. And if many of yall where in that situation.. you'd probably risk that too and get your "driving pass"

I am not defending Coleman, but some people seem to swing to the left and others to the right on the issue. And basically we don't know all the facts of the case or seen the tape of him that night.

All I know is that he drank and wrecked..Cops came and smelled alcohol on his breath... who knows after that.. heck all the wrecks I had.. no drop of alcohol here

Wolf
05-07-2004, 04:27 PM
I am very sad Marcus did this. This kinda of let me down on the type of person and morales he might have had. Everyone makes a mistake, very true, but Drinking and Driving is one of the worst things you can do. I hear a few who say.. "It is bad.. but not that bad.." Lose a daughter, son, friend, or someone to 'someone having a good time', and I think your opionon will change.

What do I think he should happen to him for punishment? No suspension, no release, no fine! I think his punishment needs to be for him to spend a certain amount of hours at the hospital (being on call) telling unlucky families the extremely hard job that thier family members or friends were injured or killed by drunk drivers that happens all to often. One of my friends recieved this punishment a few years ago in court... and it has stayed with him.. His quote "I didnt hurt anyone in my DWI, but after that experience.. I felt like each person I told about thier family members, I felt like it was my fault".

Just an Idea.

To me a DWI class and something like you just stated would be good for people to do when they are getting to the age of 21 (or 18) when they are learning to drive.

What is wild and I have no problem with it is the New Mexico is trying to pass a bill that would require drivers to have that breath analyzer in the car and you would have to blow in it before the car would start on ALL vehicles.. and not just the people convicted of the offense

Wolf
05-07-2004, 04:34 PM
In case you want to read about DWI law and where I got some of the info

http://www.crimlawyers.net/dwi.htm

geofb
05-07-2004, 04:35 PM
What is wild and I have no problem with it is the New Mexico is trying to pass a bill that would require drivers to have that breath analyzer in the car and you would have to blow in it before the car would start on ALL vehicles.. and not just the people convicted of the offense

Oh geez. How about a test for marijuana also before starting up the car while we are at it? Also, maybe a small laboratory would be good to have in the back seat so we can check for cocaine and other drugs the person may have in their system before letting them start the engine.

Wolf
05-07-2004, 04:38 PM
too funny :d They said on the radio about the new mexico thing is because New Mexico as a state has the highest DWI rates in the country and they are trying to lower that..
If I remember correctly it cost 1000 bucks to put it in the car.. I am not sure many people could afford to pay for that or would want to .. .Unless I guess a good insurance discount :confused:

CaptainPatriot
05-07-2004, 06:20 PM
some of ya'll, i.e. CaptainPatriot, seem to want to deal out the punishment yourselves...even against your own player in ty law...which i find funny seeing how many years he's devoted himself to the new england patriots...not everything is as black and white as ya'll might like to believe...and remember he has only been charged with this misdemeanor i remind you...this isn't a felony...i know everyone has their own issues with me saying this but it's the law...it's only a misdemeanor...same as any traffic violations...and keep in mind this one the state does take more seriously...but speeding, not stopping at signals, and wreckless driving all kill people as well...so don't try and read too much into a DWI...people can blow a .09 and be given a DWI and that's a hundreth of a point above the legal limit...and with some people that's only 2 or 3 drinks...i know i'm a bartender...i see people leave my bar all the time get in their cars and leave...and i garentee you none of them should be driving...you want punishment to be so damn harsh because he's a player...that the nfl should get involved along with the texans...man i hope if you ever get pulled over for a misdemeanor your boss puts some extra punishment onto that so you know how it feels...i know let's get a camera crew out there too and show your picture all over the 6 o'clock news to everybody...the way this issue has been treated is silly...blown way out of purportion in my eyes...cause we hold our athletes to a higher standard...although good it does have it's bad points as well...remember you are a fan and should support your players and coaches with everything they do...not just through the good times
No I want punishment to be harsh on any individual who gets behind the wheel with a over limit alcohol blood level not just ball players. As for devotion it goes out the window when you break the Law. We all make choices in life. Our Law System is to laxed. This is the 2nd time Coleman is in a traffic issue. You say we should support our players and coaches.Sorry I can`t support a coach who uses the University Credit Card to get a room with a Hooker! While his family is in another hotel. These are Adults making their own decisions. These are not mistakes. Now if a player or coach is wrongfully accused I can see your point. I would have more respect for Colman if he would have taken the Breath Test.

Wolf
05-07-2004, 06:44 PM
A lot of people don't take the breath test. Right or wrong, that is what a clients lawyer would recommend .. I hear that the breathe tests aren't exactly accurate. I don't know if Coleman went the blood test route after that or not. Also I read that whether you take it or not (the breath test), you are basically already charged with DWI.. so if what everybody says (defense lawyers) is true..why rely on a machine that supposively isn't accurate? you don't necessarily have to have a .08 to be considered "drunk" according to the state law. Mainly the law is saying .08 and it is a given... but ANY drug (whether Nyquil,beer or not) that affects your ability to function mentally or physically could be considered "DWI" if your abilities are impaired.. the part of not taking the test.. well you do get automatic suspension of your liscense (180 days or so? )

Patriot you are right.. our law is sometimes lax.. I have seen a one time offender get sentenced and then after that a 2nd time offender get sentenced.. The difference of the whole fine,probation,aa meeting etc... 100 bucks ... I couldn't believe that. I thought a 2nd time offender would be taken to the cleaners... but when I saw that was in 1989.. Laws have been becoming stricter thou.

Wolf
05-07-2004, 06:48 PM
don't know how accurate this DWI FAQ is but this is a harris county law firm thing. http://www.schneiderandmckinney.com/dwi_questions_and_answers_faq.htm

In a perfect world.. I would like to see people say.. yes I had too much to drink and am guilty..

Colemans 1st offense with the law.. I don't know about that much..

texan279
05-07-2004, 08:41 PM
Of course a lawyer will tell you not to do anything that could prove your guilt. Refusal to blow in a DWI investigation can result in suspension of your driver's license.

Fiddy
05-07-2004, 08:44 PM
Do you guys actually he is going to have to do jail time??? He'll enter a plea where all he has to do is community service and pay a fine.

Scooter
05-07-2004, 09:16 PM
it's not something i like to admit, but i have received a dwi ... learned the hard way that i'm too skinny for the 3 drink rule. my penalties included a weekend in jail, 40 hours of community service, a year probation, liscence suspended for 90 days, a pair of mandatory dwi classes, and around $5,000 spent between court costs, fines, probation fees, and lawyer fees. from the folks i have talked to, that was about the average of what punishment they received. it didnt really have any effect on my work but then i'm not celebrity. i would expect about the same punishment for coleman with not much action from the nfl ... coleman knew better than i did & didnt take the breathalizer so he'll plead innocent or no contest and receive some of the above penalties i'd assume (1% chance of any jail time, not gonna happen). i dont think the texans will get on coleman too much but i would think they would try to get coleman to a counselor if for nothing else, public relations.

for reference, something i learned is that you have up to 2 hours to retake the tests and if you're sure you're legal, ask for a blood analysis instead of breathalizer.

Boxscore
05-07-2004, 10:10 PM
For those of us who show up four hours before each home game. and leave two hours after it is a good idea to have a designated driver for a safe ride home. :cool:

CaptainPatriot
05-09-2004, 02:41 PM
This will be dealt with by the NFL and the Texans and it will be dealt to Marcus himself. You have no authority to dish out any punishment so put a sock in it. We have the best front office in the NFL and they will deal whats fair. I will accept what they say and I will respect the innocent untill proven guilty rule. Every thing that is said about punishment is premature at this point. Patience is what will decide Marcus' and the teams fate.
I am sure Marcus will respect the "if you do the crime, then do the time" rule.
Hey Joe Texan how can you tell me to "put a sock in it"! I`m not handing out Punishment. I`m saying the laws need to be changed. All it takes is THE 1ST TIME!It`s obvious that you have not lost a Love one to a drunk driver. My Parent`s next door neighbor lost the only granddaughter they had . She was celebrating her 18th Birthday. On the way home she was hit head on by a Drunk Driver never made it to her Graduation! The Grandparents have never been the same. Its like their heart was ripped out of their chest! That is why I have been so vocal about this thing (DUI of Colman). This is much bigger than NFL or Texans. It is like the Pink Elephant in the Living Room. It`s obvious that Colman has a drinking problem (IE:was found asleep on 59) Why wasn`t a Breath and blood test done then? You have to wonder what other times has he crashed into something before this? Only reason he got caught this time was beacuse he couldn`t get his car started and back on the road. Colman if you are reading this please get HELP! Your not drinking RESPONSIBLY! Because it is just a matter of time before you become a statistic IE:Rams Little :-( Hopefully this will be the wake up call you need! Joe Texan next time you tell me 'to put a sock in it" Think about the Families who Love 1`s didn`t make it home last night because someone got behind the wheel after not drinking RESPONSIBLY and unfortunately miss the tree and hit a Car or Pedestrian! I`m curious are they any people out there that have lost a love 1 because of a Drunk Driver? If there are you have my deepest Sympathy

wiley2002
05-09-2004, 04:40 PM
No I haven't but have had some close calls.

jhawktx
05-09-2004, 06:13 PM
A recent study found that a driver who is talking on a cell phone has reaction times 3 times slower than someone who is over the legal limit on alcohol. I think MADD needs to refocus their efforts and become MACP (Mother's against Cell Phones) if they want to save lives due to vehicle accidents.

Wolf
05-09-2004, 06:36 PM
not sure how reliable this website is but here goes
http://www.alcoholfacts.org/CrashCourseOnMADD.html

I used to wonder how many cars I pass at night (10:00 pm and on) have drivers that have had some alcohol in their system. I am sure I would be amazed at the numbers.

bottom line is no doubt drinking and driving is a problem. for some reason cell phone drivers get on my nerves worse than anything.

Joe Texan
05-09-2004, 07:17 PM
First if all you know nothing captian Know it all

You have no idea if he is guilty or not.

You base your so called facts on the media hounds who will lie to get a good story.

One example is the infamous Ted Oberg. Did a story on me and how I would never go to the Superbowl. Oh poor little Joe Texan. I went to the Superbowl, did Ted do a story saying he was wrong, NO!

I have had several people very close to me killed by a drunk driver. Oh you of little knowledge do not need to hand me your sob stories to verify your point.
American Justice is innocent untill proven guilty, what you are doing are convicting him before the judge does.

I have full confidence that Mr. Bob McNair will deal with this incident in a fair and just manner. I have full confidence that the Houston Police will find an answer also. Just like they did with all of the DNA tests, and we now have to pay for new ones. Have patience, justice will be served, Untill then, PUT A SOCK IN IT!!!!!!!!

Dime
05-09-2004, 09:20 PM
American Justice is innocent untill proven guilty

New one to me... Thought it was Innocent until proven guilty unless you have a ton of money to get out of it with..

UNLESS your poor... then its

Guilty until you proven innocent.. hehehe :taz:

Dime
05-09-2004, 09:37 PM

You base your so called facts on the media hounds who will lie to get a good story.

One example is the infamous Ted Oberg. Did a story on me and how I would never go to the Superbowl. Oh poor little Joe Texan. I went to the Superbowl, did Ted do a story saying he was wrong, NO!

I have had several people very close to me killed by a drunk driver. Oh you of little knowledge do not need to hand me your sob stories to verify your point.
American Justice is innocent untill proven guilty, what you are doing are convicting him before the judge does.

I have full confidence that Mr. Bob McNair will deal with this incident in a fair and just manner. I have full confidence that the Houston Police will find an answer also. Just like they did with all of the DNA tests, and we now have to pay for new ones. Have patience, justice will be served, Untill then, PUT A SOCK IN IT!!!!!!!!

I know you are probably upset here man. How people are convicting Marcus of DWI without having all the facts. Very true.. we dont. But that has never mattered here before. People here are talking about things that will affect the texans on and off the field. Who is playing badly and who isnt. etc... Marcus is a major part of that. This is no different then people screaming 'Sean Taylor is God' a few weeks ago. How if we dont get him, we are lost. Now.. that oponion is gone replaced by how good of a choice we made. All we know is Marcus is in a bit of trouble. Believe me, he will have to answer for this concerning the Houston Police, then Bob. The truth will come out. We can talk about punishments if he is found guilty all day, but that does not make him guilty.

That being said, IF he is found guilty, and IF he is suspended for a time (which probably wont happen anyways), who would you all see as our backfield to cover the spots? Also, if someone is suspended from let say 4 games, can that be pre-season games or must that be from regular games? :twocents:

Wolf
05-09-2004, 10:05 PM
As I used to watch "Politically Incorrect" they talked about the issue. And to this day I don't know what the cut off point is where the Point of view changes

If you are rich..you are considered to have a problem and need help
If you are poor..you are considered an addict and need jail time :confused:

Dime
05-09-2004, 11:15 PM
As I used to watch "Politically Incorrect" they talked about the issue. And to this day I don't know what the cut off point is where the Point of view changes

If you are rich..you are considered to have a problem and need help
If you are poor..you are considered an addict and need jail time :confused:

The one that gets me are the CEO's who take 500 million, get 200k in fines and 1 year in jail.. Hell, give me a year in the jail for when I get out.. the 500 million is mine. Sigh :taz:

keyfro
05-09-2004, 11:31 PM
well i've posted on this subject many times...people can agree with what i think or people cannot...but i've met marcus at a tech football awards ceremony a few years ago...and the guy i met was just your average guy...wasn't a drunkard(previously called)...and probably has made his fair share of mistakes but who hasn't...this wasn't just i got to say wow it's a honor to meet you kinda thing...we talked for about an hour or so...from everything from music to football...i've talked to guys who played with him and they all had the best things to say about him...he's a team player...but he is human...we all have the ability to make mistakes...i do want hear the facts about this incident when they do come out but i also realize that it is he's personal business...something stars and pro athletes don't have anymore...but they are still entitled to...so i will respect any disciplinary actions taken in this matter and leave it at that

CaptainPatriot
05-11-2004, 01:27 PM

Joe Texan I see we have our differences but why did the on scene Police Officer have to call in the DUI Team? Also The Benz look like it hit a tree from the so called Media Hounds Camera that I saw. Had to be going pretty fast to deploy the air bags. I have driven up and down Richmond for years I never hit a tree! Colman refused Breath test. Wonder if he gave a blood test? You know the old saying walks like a duck.My main points are about the Law System for DUI`S. There is no way that Little of the Rams should be playing football! He should be doing life in Prison for what he did. Wasn`t he busted again for DUI the day before the Draft? Unreal! Also last week a Drunk Driver killed a woman after his 3rd DUI! Like I said earlier I just hope Colman gets some professional HELP! Being a Ball Player whether you like it or not you are a role model and are under a microscope. Ever little thing that you do is being watched. When you sign that contract you have to take the good with the bad. You really have to think before acting.

El Tejano
05-11-2004, 02:53 PM
Now that I think of it. Many of you stated he was with other members of the team at a club. I don't hold anybody but Coleman responsible but I really wish they would've watched eachother's back that night. They're teammates after all.

But I realize Coleman is a grown man and there are no excuses.

Joe Texan
05-11-2004, 03:08 PM
I understand the role model issue. That is why I hold high respect for the Texans, They demand good repoir for that reason. I once knew a guy who had 7 DWI's and still had a liscense, heck he was pulled over by a cop in Conroe and had a beer in his hand and walked. It is luck of the draw. As far as the DWI team, I never heard of that. Heck a cop finds you drunk he takes you to jail. simple as that. I was once with a friend who designated himself to drive for me and we were pulled over, taken to jail, I was released and he was jailed for DWI, He was sober. He won the case but it cost him 4 grand for the legal thief. I will let the judge and God pass judgement on this, and I will be respectful of the verdict.

Wolf
05-11-2004, 04:51 PM
not defending Coleman here, but I rear ended a truck when I was younger.. embarrassing the truck was parked and I was going 30 ... The front end of my truck looked like I hit a pole. It looked horrible.. I have no idea how fast Coleman was going, but you got my curiosity up..

At what speed will an air bag deploy?
Air bags inflate as fast as 200 mph (320km/h), and with great force. U.S. Federal regulations currently require air bags to inflate and restrain an unbelted dummy representing the average adult male in a crash test into a concrete barrier at 30 mph (48 km/h). To meet this federal requirement, an air bag must inflate in a split second (about 1/30th of a second). This is faster than a blink of an eye. It is so fast you can't see it happen. In the crash test the air bag must be able to restrain the force that the unbelted dummy, which weighs about 165 pounds (75kg), applies to the air bag. That force can be as much as 2000 pounds (900 kg).
http://www.edmontonmotors.com/airbag.html

Blake
05-13-2004, 12:28 PM
Coleman Development (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/football/nfl/05/13/bc.fbn.texansplayer.dwi.ap/index.html)

New News. FIRST!!!!

Vinny
05-13-2004, 03:18 PM
Associated Press
HOUSTON -- Houston Texans safety Marcus Coleman must have an breath-analyzing device attached to his car's ignition as he awaits trial on a misdemeanor drunk driving charge, a judge ruled Thursday.

Coleman, free on $500 bond after his arrest early on May 6, made his first court appearance Thursday. Harris County Court-at-Law Judge Jay Karahan decided there was enough evidence for the case to proceed and set a pretrial conference for May 27.

Prosecutors say Coleman was involved in a minor one-car wreck along a street on the near southwest side of Houston. Police arrived to find Coleman standing next to his car and gave him two field sobriety tests, which they say he failed.

Coleman, 29, told police he had four drinks over an undetermined period, prosecutors said. Based on his 210-pound weight, four drinks in one hour would bring the typical male's blood alcohol level near the legal limit of .08, while a longer amount of time would decrease the number. Defense attorney Rusty Hardin declined comment Thursday. If there is a trial, lawyers would like it to happen before Texans training camp begins July 30.

Houston acquired Coleman in the expansion draft two years ago from the New York Jets, where he played cornerback for six years. He is moving to safety this summer to make way for the Texans' top draft pick, cornerback Dunta Robinson. The maximum penalty for a Class B misdemeanor is six months in jail and a $2,000 fine.espn.com (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1800912)

TexanExile
05-13-2004, 09:00 PM
Now that I think of it. Many of you stated he was with other members of the team at a club. I don't hold anybody but Coleman responsible but I really wish they would've watched eachother's back that night. They're teammates after all.

But I realize Coleman is a grown man and there are no excuses.

Unfortunately, most pro athletes are used to having OTHER people watch their back for them, right? Agents, entourages, personal assistants, etc....and of course the special treatment from hangers-on since they became stars.

I'm sure he wasn't the only one drinking. I wonder if it even crossed anyone's mind to check him out before he got into the car?

:party:

Anyway, it's done now and I hope he gets the APPROPRIATE punishment--no special treatment for rich guys, sports stars, CEOs, etc...hope that other than the extra media attention his court days will look just like everyone else's.

El Tejano
05-14-2004, 09:53 AM
Joe Texan, what do I have to do and how much would it cost for you to make a bobble head doll of me? I got pictures if you need them.

Joe Texan
05-14-2004, 12:42 PM
No DWI team was called, He was changing his tire while On STAR Called the cops.
Man I would rip that out of my car so fast it would deafen the operator on the other side. THat little blue button is a pain in the arse. As far as the Team, it is Marcus' Problem to deal with.

Joe Texan
05-14-2004, 12:43 PM
I would need a picture Full Pictureshoes and all for me to do a complete job

El Tejano
05-14-2004, 12:57 PM
Let me know where I can send it. How much will it cost?

Scooter
05-14-2004, 02:21 PM
wolf, it doesnt matter how fast you're going, the airbag sensors only record how abruptly you stop. if you go from 15mph to 0 too quickly they'll deploy ... it's the rate of deceleration. has anything been said about why he hit the tree? was he just so blitzed he swung that thing to a tree or nailed a pothole or what? being sober and getting smashed by an airbag will make almost anybody fail a field sobriety test (trust me, sob's hurt and the sulfer smell's enuff to get ya stoned instantly). if he's telling the truth about 4 drinks he should be ok ... especially since it was at dinner it'd be tough to down em in less than an hour. if he was toasted and got belted by the airbags i dont think he'd have had the conscienceness to change a tire. it happens, life goes one ... hope it all works itsself out.

Wolf
05-14-2004, 03:06 PM
you may be right. I have hit something and the airbags didn't go off. I am not sure how that works.

the thing about the hitting a tree. he could have .06 and he could still get charged with DWI. I guess it depends on what kind of attorney he has and how they play it.

Vinny
05-14-2004, 03:39 PM
wolf, it doesnt matter how fast you're going, the airbag sensors only record how abruptly you stop. if you go from 15mph to 0 too quickly they'll deploy ... it's the rate of deceleration. That is part of it but the air bags are actuated by a crush zone sensor first and foremost, and it has zero to do with how fast you stop if you do not violate the crush zones. It is a device that tells the bag to inflate as the cars crush zones are penetrated.

www.gm.com (http://www.gm.com/company/gmability/safety/protect_occupants/air_bags/questions/questions_how_work3.html)
Whether your frontal air bags will or should deploy is not based on how fast your vehicle is traveling. It depends largely on what you hit, the direction of the impact and how quickly your vehicle slows down.

Air bags are designed to inflate in frontal and near-frontal crashes that exceed a predetermined deployment "threshold." That threshold takes into account a variety of desired deployment and non-deployment events and is used to predict how severe the crash is likely to be in time for the air bags to inflate and cushion the occupants.

Typically, if a vehicle goes straight into a wall that does not move or deform, the bags will deploy at an impact speed of about 9 to 16 miles per hour. Impact speeds that are likely to result in a crash that exceeds the deployment threshold will differ if the vehicle hits something that moves or deforms, or if the impact is localized such as hitting a pole or at an angle. The severity of a head-on crash into a wall at 9 to 16 miles per hour is similar to that of a head-on crash into an identical parked car at 18 to 32 miles per hour. Deployment thresholds can vary with vehicle design, and different manufacturers use different deployment thresholds.

Scooter
05-15-2004, 01:31 AM
good lookin out blue. i honestly didnt know direction or crush zones had anything to do with it, especially from gm. my last experience was really bizarre ... was driving in the rain in a 95 Z28. was going in a U-turn under the freeway on I-45 north at somewhere between 20-30mph and (drag radials) went sliding into the curb towards the end of the U. that slide and hitting the curb completely sideways (wheels first) was enuff to send the bags out. it was honestly the next day before my head cleared & a week before i quit smelling sulfer. i didnt hit the bag, it hit me and lemme tell ya it didnt feel good lol. something i really didnt like was the passenger bag - it sent the hard plastic cover OUT & UP hard enough to smash the windshield. had anyone be too close to that it damn well could've killed em.

Vinny
05-15-2004, 02:42 AM
Yeah, airbags are dangerous too. You can hit something at 20 mph and an air bag will come screaming out at nearly 200 mph and hammer you. Seat bets should always be worn with any car that has airbags. Especially first generation airbags. The early ones are the most dangerous ones because they came out at a higher velocity than most of the newer ones do. I used to work for GMAC. There are some pretty ugly stories.

rittenhouserobz
05-15-2004, 03:30 AM
you may be right. I have hit something and the airbags didn't go off. I am not sure how that works.

the thing about the hitting a tree. he could have .06 and he could still get charged with DWI. I guess it depends on what kind of attorney he has and how they play it.

What witnesses saw him hit the object? The law enforement agency only showed up after a while.

My brother was pulled over for speeding. He had a couple drinks, but he was still charged with a DUI. My brother passed the roadside test and blew under the limit. It cost him thousands when he was innocent. They ended up charging him with reckless, because they could NOT prove the DUI.

I think that better judgement can be used in certain cases. There are obvious drunk people driving, and then there is the person who had two drinks at dinner.

Wolf
05-15-2004, 08:48 AM
exactly.. Texas law has "rules" for DWI. 1) 1) "not having the normal use of mental or physical faculties by reason of the introduction of alcohol, a controlled substance, a drug, a dangerous drug, a combination of two or more of those substances, or any other substance into the body; or 2) "having an alcohol concentration of 0.08 or more."

so either coleman has .08 or the wreck puts him in the 1 catagory (even if he doesn't have .08)

ghostlight
05-15-2004, 11:41 AM
What was the name of the Oiler that left a Tittie Bar driving DWI and hit a gruard rail throwing his buddy through the windshield onto the I-10 below. He pulled a shotgun out of his trunk and ****. I think he played football at Norte Dame. I'm sure 38% of Americans polled would say what Keyfro is saying.

What a deal,I can't even remember his name.

wags
05-15-2004, 11:46 AM
:party: I think his name was Ted Kennedy.

Joe Texan
05-15-2004, 12:42 PM
Alm, Jeff

His friend was ejected all choked up