PDA

View Full Version : Cap Status Pre-Moulds = 11.6 Million under

gtexan02
03-30-2006, 12:07 AM
So according to the estimate at HPF.com, we are about 11.6 million under the cap. I expect Moulds to count about $5-6 million towards the cap, and our rookies to count about 5-6 millino towards the cap, leaving us just barely underneath. I guess we're done with signings!!

http://www.houstonprofootball.com/cap.html

run-david-run
03-30-2006, 12:10 AM
June 1st cuts should free up even more room...

texanfan2002114
03-30-2006, 12:37 AM
June 1st cuts should free up even more room...

i agree with you

gtexan02
03-30-2006, 12:38 AM
Who is in line for the cutting?

thetexanator
03-30-2006, 12:40 AM
wong might be cut

el toro
03-30-2006, 12:43 AM
Wade.

TexansTrueFan
03-30-2006, 12:47 AM
wong might be cut

i dont think so, he was a big reson to our defensive melt down last season when he was out with his injury. he is a good LB and still fairly young.

The Dude Abides
03-30-2006, 12:49 AM
Is Walker already in line with that cap? Because he would free up about 4 million right?

gtexan02
03-30-2006, 12:51 AM
His cap savings was calculated, yes. But prorating it that way gives us $5.5 million in dead money for the 2007 season

MorKnolle
03-30-2006, 12:54 AM
So according to the estimate at HPF.com, we are about 11.6 million under the cap. I expect Moulds to count about $5-6 million towards the cap, and our rookies to count about 5-6 millino towards the cap, leaving us just barely underneath. I guess we're done with signings!!

http://www.houstonprofootball.com/cap.html

Our #1 pick alone will likely cost $6 million against the cap this year, much less the rest of our guys too, so I think we'll have even less money than you're figuring.

outofhnd
03-30-2006, 12:56 AM
Wiegart, Wade, Bruener, Morency, Maybe DD if someone offers a good deal. Deloach, Anderson (Id really like to keep him I liked him in his limited role) Murphy, thas all I can think of off the top of my head. Isnt DD in a contract year?

gtexan02
03-30-2006, 12:59 AM
I don't know about that. Alex Smith's contract was record breaking 49 million dollar contract over 6 years with $24 million in guaranteed money, which should only leave about 4 million per year towards the cap and whatever the bonus number is (which would probably be less than $6 million total). He was a QB, and if we draft Bush, it will be much cheaper

outofhnd
03-30-2006, 01:01 AM
the contract was 5 years because the collective bargaining agreement was not extended yet.

That was a driving force because if it was not extended after the capless year, in 2010 all the top prospects now would be free agents. 04 draft picks signed 6 year deals, 05 picks 5 year deals. and with no cap how crazy would that year be?

TexansTrueFan
03-30-2006, 01:04 AM
Wiegart, Wade, Bruener, Morency, Maybe DD if someone offers a good deal. Deloach, Anderson (Id really like to keep him I liked him in his limited role) Murphy, thas all I can think of off the top of my head. Isnt DD in a contract year?

i thought D.D last year he signed a new 4 year contract. i dunno but i'm pretty sure it was 3 or 4 yrs.

MorKnolle
03-30-2006, 01:07 AM
I don't know about that. Alex Smith's contract was record breaking 49 million dollar contract over 6 years with $24 million in guaranteed money, which should only leave about 4 million per year towards the cap and whatever the bonus number is (which would probably be less than $6 million total). He was a QB, and if we draft Bush, it will be much cheaper

$49 million - $24 million in guarantees = $25 million in base salaries over 5 years = an average of $5 million per year, which is almost surely backloaded so his base salary for this year probably only counted $2-2.5 million against the cap. However that $24 million bonus divided evenly over 5 seasons = $4.8 million a year that will count against their salary cap every season in addition to his base salary for that season, unless of course he is cut or traded, in which case that bonus will be accelerated onto that year's cap. This means his contract counted somewhere in the neighborhood of $7-7.5 million this year. Bush will likely be a little cheaper since he's a RB, but then again it's one year later and he's considered a better prospect so he could get the same amount of money, maybe even a little more.

Davis just completed the first year of his 4 year extension, so it would be very expensive to trade him for the next year or two.

Back to the original point, if Moulds is going to cost us $5-6 million against our cap then we shouldn't get him. I think the combination of he's old enough, not good enough anymore, and is only going to be our #2 WR means that he should not count more than $4 million against our cap.

HoustonFan
03-30-2006, 01:07 AM
Any news on E. Moulds?

Bearfan Blue and Orange
03-30-2006, 01:08 AM

Yes he was a QB, but Bush's agent is going to pull for that kind of contract;easily. Bush is the #1 pick, the BEST player coming out of college in a long time and can do so many things. He is a complete package as of right now. Everyone has talked him up so much that how can his agent justify to Bush that he is not worth that kind of money. This deal is going to be CRAZY!!!

outofhnd
03-30-2006, 01:11 AM
yea but 49mill over 5 years with about 24-25 mil guaranteed, thats more than thats more like 8 Mill a year. if he doesnt play its 5 mil a year thrown away,

Ibar_Harry
03-30-2006, 01:12 AM
Yes he was a QB, but Bush's agent is going to pull for that kind of contract;easily. Bush is the #1 pick, the BEST player coming out of college in a long time and can do so many things. He is a complete package as of right now. Everyone has talked him up so much that how can his agent justify to Bush that he is not worth that kind of money. This deal is going to be CRAZY!!!

With all of the FA action is it now possible we will trade down to avoid the Bush pay day? I don't think we will, but just kind of wondering out loud.

gtexan02
03-30-2006, 01:15 AM
Lets see. I assume Smiths' contract, if it was 25 million over 6 years, would be something like

1, 2, 2.5, 5, 6, 8 millino for each year
the 4 million would be prorated for each year, giving his number around $6 mil this year, $5 mil last year.

I best Bush would command a $20 millino bonus easily, prorated at $4 per year, then added to his salary which will probably be 1 or less than 1

outofhnd
03-30-2006, 01:18 AM
Id hate to be the accountant who has to keep track of all of this stuff.. Sounds like you need a bottle an advil a day to get you through.

infantrycak
03-30-2006, 01:21 AM
Our #1 pick alone will likely cost $6 million against the cap this year, much less the rest of our guys too, so I think we'll have even less money than you're figuring.

Probably overestimating a little. In 2004 San Diego had a total rookie pool of $6.024M and in 2005 San Francisco (with 11 picks) had a rookie pool of $6.168M. Doubtful #1 is going to suck up $6 mil of a $7 mil or under rookie pool.

TexansTrueFan
03-30-2006, 01:22 AM
Lets see. I assume Smiths' contract, if it was 25 million over 6 years, would be something like

1, 2, 2.5, 5, 6, 8 millino for each year
the 4 million would be prorated for each year, giving his number around $6 mil this year, $5 mil last year.

I best Bush would command a $20 millino bonus easily, prorated at $4 per year, then added to his salary which will probably be 1 or less than 1

we'd end up like the colts, paying one player way to much and eventually lose all of our other stars because we couldnt afford them.

jacquescas
03-30-2006, 01:23 AM
we might still restructure some contracts/