PDA

View Full Version : Texans Triplet...

thunderkyss
03-28-2006, 08:33 AM
I thought we were going to be: Carr= Aikman, DD= Emmit, AJ= Irvin
But maybe, we'll be: Carr= Steve Young, RB= Ricky Watters, AJ= Rice

What about: Carr= Jonny U, Reggie Bush= Lenny Moore, AJ= Berry???

I know each guy is his own players, and those comparisons aren't exact. Steve Young, and Jerry Rice....... mighty big shoes to fill. But it could happen....... right??

The NFL's Best Triplets (http://www.sports-central.org/sports/2006/03/16/the_nfls_best_triplets.php)

7) 1992-1994 San Francisco 49ers: Steve Young, Ricky Watters, Jerry Rice

If Watters hadn't left for Philadelphia after the 1994 season, this group would be top-five. Young was by far the league's best QB during this period, winning league MVP in 1992 and '94. In '93, he passed for over 4,000 yards, led the NFL in TDs and passer rating, and was named first-team all-pro. Rice had double-digit TDs and over 1,200 yards each season. Watters, a rushing and receiving threat, scored more than 10 TDs every season he played in San Francisco.

6) 1970-1974 Miami Dolphins: Bob Griese, Larry Csonka, Paul Warfield

This group helped Miami put together the NFL's only undefeated season, and its second back-to-back Super Bowl victories. Griese missed most of 1972 with an injury, but he was a unanimous choice for all-pro QB in 1971. Csonka rushed for over 100 yards in both of Miami's Super Bowl victories, including a then-record 145 yards and MVP honors in Super Bowl VIII. Warfield didn't put up big numbers in the Dolphins' ball-control offense, but he was almost universally regarded as the league's best wide receiver during this period. All three players made the Pro Bowl every season, except Griese in his injured season.

5) 1990-1999 Dallas Cowboys: Troy Aikman, Emmitt Smith, Michael Irvin

They're the first group of triplets on the list to spend a decade together, but their prime came from 1991-95, when Aikman was at the top of his game, and Smith and Irvin were the best players at their respective positions. All elite triplets since have been compared to these Cowboys.

4) 1999-2005 Indianapolis Colts: Peyton Manning, Edgerrin James, Marvin Harrison

I know what you're thinking, but this isn't too high. Manning and Harrison are already cinch Hall of Famers — either one could retire today and get in on the first ballot — and James has had four 1,500-yard seasons. These guys had a reasonably long seven-year run together, including all their best seasons. Manning led the NFL in interceptions as a rookie in 1998, James didn't enter the league until 1999, and Harrison's first 1,000-yard season came in '99.

3) 1985-1990 San Francisco 49ers: Joe Montana, Roger Craig, Jerry Rice

There's a big gap between the top three and the rest of the list. Montana is the best quarterback on the list to this point, and Rice is almost universally regarded as the greatest wide receiver in the history of professional football. Craig, from 1985-88, was the best running back this side of Eric Dickerson.

2) 1946-1953 Cleveland Browns: Otto Graham, Marion Motley, Dante Lavelli

As rare as it is for Hall of Fame triplets to play together during their primes — this is only the fourth group on the list — it's even more rare for teammates to make eight consecutive championships together. Graham may be the greatest QB in history, Motley is almost certainly the best fullback ever to play, and Lavelli was also a Hall of Famer. It's worth noting that Graham also could have made this list with Dub Jones and Mac Speedie.

1) 1956-1966 Baltimore Colts: John Unitas, Lenny Moore, Raymond Berry

By far the greatest triplets in NFL history. This is the best combination of talent and the longest reign (11 years). The only question here is whether or not Moore qualifies as a running back. Obviously, I believe he does — he was an exceptional receiver and sometimes lined up as a flanker, but he also had over 1,000 carries — but Unitas and Berry would still be top-three if I replaced Moore with Alan Ameche.

In the late '50s and early '60s, Johnny U. was the undisputed master of the art of quarterbacking. His name remains a byword for great quarterback play. Moore was the most versatile offensive weapon in football. He led the NFL in touchdowns twice and in rushing average four times. Three times Moore averaged over 7.0 yards per carry, twice he had over 900 receiving yards, and he was the third player in NFL history to score 100 touchdowns in a career. Berry led the NFL in receptions and receiving yards three times each, and in receiving touchdowns twice. He retired as the league's all-time receiving leader, and many believe he had the best hands in history.

HJam72
03-28-2006, 08:44 AM
What if it's Ragone, Morency, and Mathis? I'm joking, of course, but you never really know until it happens.

Maddict5
03-28-2006, 09:01 AM
I thought we were going to be: Carr= Aikman, DD= Emmit, AJ= Irvin
But maybe, we'll be: Carr= Young, RB= Ricky Watters, AJ= Rice

ok i feel a bad VY 'joke'/argument coming on from somebody so i thought id nip it in the bud before anything happened

Kaiser Toro
03-28-2006, 09:32 AM
We have a long way to go before we have anything close to resembling triplets outside of name only. Let's put together a three game winning streak together first and/or post a winning season. I am all for optimism and branding each unit, but branding and individual or a partitioned piece of a unit is way to premature. Stay to the basics and develop team harmony is the way to go in righting this ship in my opinion.

powerfuldragon
03-28-2006, 10:43 AM
at this point carr and unitas should never be uttered in the same breath.

give him some time to improve this season and we'll see.

hollywood_texan
03-28-2006, 01:17 PM
We have a long way to go before we have anything close to resembling triplets outside of name only. Let's put together a three game winning streak together first and/or post a winning season. I am all for optimism and branding each unit, but branding and individual or a partitioned piece of a unit is way to premature. Stay to the basics and develop team harmony is the way to go in righting this ship in my opinion.

Amen!

This squad has a lot work to do and few games to win first, particularly at least a 3 game winning streak.

Ibar_Harry
03-28-2006, 01:22 PM
at this point carr and unitas should never be uttered in the same breath.

give him some time to improve this season and we'll see.

I believe Carr got the Johnny U award and spent time with the guy before he passed away. So, yes, may be they should be uttered in the same breath....

rafterticket
03-29-2006, 01:02 PM
You know, it is great to see optimism on this board again.

On great triplets - As good as Aikman, Smith and Irvin were (and the 49er trips, too), they were complemented by excellent FB's and TE's. Moose Johnston and Jay Novacek were fantastic football players, and deserve more recognition. I remember the Cowboys losing their edge when Novacek went down.

Anyway, let's hope our new TE and FB complement our trips.