PDA

View Full Version : N.D. Kalu

thunderkyss
03-27-2006, 06:53 AM
Just saw this this Morning.

N.D. Kalu (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/3749828.html)

Seems like we are interested in Eric Moulds........ & we signed another D.E. over the weekend................ I don't think Kubiak sleeps.........

Meanwhile, the Texans are expected to sign another free agent today. Philadelphia defensive end N.D. Kalu agreed to a one-year, $750,000 contract during the weekend.

The former star at Rice is a 10-year veteran who spent the past five seasons with the Philadelphia Eagles.

Kalu, 6-3 and 265 pounds, played in 15 games last season, including eight starts. He had 30 tackles and two sacks.

Kalu follows defensive end Anthony Weaver, fullback Jameel Cook, quarterback Sage Rosenfels, tight end Jeb Putzier, center Mike Flanagan, middle linebacker Sam Cowart and receiver Kevin Walter as free-agent additions.

Coach C.
03-27-2006, 07:25 AM
Kalu at that price is pretty much a bargain and not guaranteed to make it through training camp, but this Eric Moulds non-sense is just terrible. I mean essentially we give him a two year contract that lets us cut him when he turns 34. The guy is good, but old, and beginning to have those nagging injuries and slower recovery times. I dont like the idea of signing him, but Kalu is a whatever type of pick up.

Kaiser Toro
03-27-2006, 07:42 AM
Kalu at that price is pretty much a bargain and not guaranteed to make it through training camp, but this Eric Moulds non-sense is just terrible. I mean essentially we give him a two year contract that lets us cut him when he turns 34. The guy is good, but old, and beginning to have those nagging injuries and slower recovery times. I dont like the idea of signing him, but Kalu is a whatever type of pick up.

Agreed.

thunderkyss
03-27-2006, 07:42 AM
I was just surprised that we were even looking at another DE, I thought we'd sit tight, till the draft. To me, this just shows Kubes/Casserly, are burning the midnight oil..........

I like it.

ArlingtonTexan
03-27-2006, 08:18 AM

WRs, particularly good ones are showing to be effective players well into thier mid-30s. Rod Smith, Jimmy smith and McCardell serve as examples of guys who are 3 or 4 years older than Moulds. Moulds had 80 catches last year with a sorry QB situation. A couple of years out of Moulds will give the Texans a chance to develop Walters, mathis or some other young WR.

My concerns would be the money and draft pick involved.

Mailman04
03-27-2006, 08:39 AM
Look at Moulds' production and tell me he won't help the Texans. He would be a great pickup.

GP
03-27-2006, 08:47 AM
If I'm reading the tea leaves, (1) We re-signed Carr, so we're not drafting Vince Young, (2) I think we're not drafting 'Brick...we went out and got a solid center and will probably rely on our current roster of linemen, (3) We signed two defensive linemen and retained everyone but Walker...so I don't think we're drafting Mario Williams, (4) We picked up a run stuffing middle linebacker in Cowart, so I don't think we're drafting AJ Hawk, and (5) We signed a FB to couple with Norris. Wells is hungry for more money or a chance with another team, Hollings was cut, Domanick Davis is injury-prone, and Morency is still raw. Kubiak likes a strong trio of RBs in the Denver system.

My conclusion is that we are drafting Reggie Bush as the moves we made signal to me (at least in my opinion) that we are patchingother positions with free agents and it would not make sense to log jam other positions by drafting an extra LB, DL, OLs and/or QB with our top pick.

ArlingtonTexan
03-27-2006, 08:58 AM
If I'm reading the tea leaves, (1) We re-signed Carr, so we're not drafting Vince Young, (2) I think we're not drafting 'Brick...we went out and got a solid center and will probably rely on our current roster of linemen, (3) We signed two defensive linemen and retained everyone but Walker...so I don't think we're drafting Mario Williams, (4) We picked up a run stuffing middle linebacker in Cowart, so I don't think we're drafting AJ Hawk, and (5) We signed a FB to couple with Norris. Wells is hungry for more money or a chance with another team, Hollings was cut, Domanick Davis is injury-prone, and Morency is still raw. Kubiak likes a strong trio of RBs in the Denver system.

My conclusion is that we are drafting Reggie Bush as the moves we made signal to me (at least in my opinion) that we are patchingother positions with free agents and it would not make sense to log jam other positions by drafting an extra LB, DL, OLs and/or QB with our top pick.

I think you are reading too much into the signing of these guys. Kalu, cowart, etc are just placeholders and would not preclude the Texans from drafting any of those positions at any point in the draft. These positions go from a desparate to those which need upgrading.

MikeMc
03-27-2006, 09:31 AM
I agree with AT. These are experienced players that will help with the transition to the 4-3 D. Peek & Babin will be the DEs of the future.

Cowart is in the same boat....filling a need now. I would not doubt they draft at least one or two LBs to add depth (future starters) to the roster.

OL will probably also be addressed, but maybe in the 2nd rd.....I think Bush will be the pick. I do not like it, but I think that is the way the stars have aligned with the Texans FA pickups as well has the other NFL teams FA adds.

thunderkyss
03-27-2006, 09:43 AM

If you're just talking about our #1 overall, I agree. that's what it looks like. These other positions are no longer in need of a 1st day pick IMHO, except I'd still like to get at least one OL with our 2nd/3rd pick.

Mike Kerns
03-27-2006, 10:17 AM
Look at Moulds' production and tell me he won't help the Texans. He would be a great pickup.

I agree simply for the fact that it will give Andre Johnson more single coverage chances. Hope this deal gets done myself.

el toro
03-27-2006, 10:42 AM
I live in reality, and your right on. We will take Bush is that so bad, a guy that can take it to the "hizouse" everytime he touches the Football.

Indeed. Bush will fit the offense. If you didn't have a coaching staff that could utilize him then I might think differently about taking Bush at #1. But they have the track record and they've made the moves this season to make the most of his talent. That justifies his selection, IMO.

utahmark
03-27-2006, 10:57 AM
the guys on the eagles mb dont seem to think to highly of him.

Ibar_Harry
03-27-2006, 11:04 AM
the guys on the eagles mb dont seem to think to highly of him.

Plummer wasn't thought of very well either and Denver made a difference. Philly has been somewhat in disarry the last couple of years despite their record. Sometimes one man's garbage is another man's treasure. Who knows, but our people feel he will be a good addition so we shall see.

Kaiser Toro
03-27-2006, 11:08 AM
Plummer wasn't thought of very well either and Denver made a difference. Philly has been somewhat in disarry the last couple of years despite their record. Sometimes one man's garbage is another man's treasure. Who knows, but our people feel he will be a good addition so we shall see.

Awful comparision. Plummer was six years in and history has shown that QB's get better with age. Kalu is a DE entering his tenth year. I am sorry to bridle my enthusiasm for an unspectacular DE over the course of his career who could wind up being a quality back up.

thunderkyss
03-27-2006, 11:21 AM

I seriously doubt there are many fans who wish Jake was their QB.

Ibar_Harry
03-27-2006, 11:49 AM
ESPN take on Kalu...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2385814

el toro
03-27-2006, 11:58 AM
It looks like the team is focusing on stopping the run, first and foremost. If your D can prevent teams from putting together sustained drives and running the clock while your offense can...put together sustained drives and run the clock, then you're setting yourself up to control the time of posession and force the opposing offense to force their passing game to beat you. I think this is a solid first step heading into next year.

You do still have the draft to work on your secondary and, of course, next year's free agency and draft.

The Preacher
03-27-2006, 12:02 PM
Hopefully he can return to his old form after a year back on his feet. It took Edgerrin a year N.D. could be a solid value pickup that Philly gave up on. I guess he became expendable with the Howard pickup. Kubes is making the transition to the 4-3 seem effortless. The best part about this is it will push Babin and Peek even further.

whiskeyrbl
03-27-2006, 12:17 PM
I think the signing of another DE is telling Babin/Peek,they better work their collective ***** off . Maybe they are getting vets in here to teach these guys what it takes to win. Cowart,Kalu,Flannigan are at the ends of their careers,yet it gives us an upgrade at positions that we really need and allows us to compete while our draft picks get groomed IMO. I may be wrong but I hope I am right.

BrianC
03-27-2006, 04:05 PM
look a few threads down

texasguy346
03-28-2006, 06:50 AM
The Texans also signed linebacker Zeke Moreno, a free agent who made four special teams tackles for the Eagles last season, and exclusive rights free-agent linebacker Kenneth Pettway.

link (http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/HOU/9341875)

TEXANRED
03-28-2006, 07:45 AM
I am excited about Kalu. Some good friends of mine are from Philly so I have been forced to sit thru a few Eagle games. Kalu has always stuck out in my mind. (Isn't he the one who tatooed Eli to welcome him to the NFL?)

Strong, only 30, good motor, always seems to be in the right place at the right time in clutch situations, adds a veteran end to help out Weaver, Babin, Peek, for the future. Solid football player.

I like this signing. Finaly starting to get a good mix of young talent with veteran leadership.

thunderkyss
03-28-2006, 08:25 AM
Sounds like a nice Rotation too.

edo783
03-28-2006, 08:46 AM
Sounds like a nice Rotation too.

My thoughts also TK. Two young rush type DEs, two run stop type DEs and a solid rotation inside at DT. As it stand right now, we LOOK much stronger against the run up front. Remains to be seen how well the D-line does on the pass rush, but the possibility of being "OK" is there.

kingh99
03-28-2006, 08:49 AM
They dumped low IQ players for high IQ players or has anyone noticed. Gary Walker, Marcus Robertson for Weaver, Kalu? They picked up about 250 IQ points on the deal.

Kaiser Toro
03-28-2006, 08:50 AM
My thoughts also TK. Two young rush type DEs, two run stop type DEs and a solid rotation inside at DT. As it stand right now, we LOOK much stronger against the run up front. Remains to be seen how well the D-line does on the pass rush, but the possibility of being "OK" is there.

As I think back when has defending the run been an issue, until last year? Pressure on the QB has always been an issue for us in our four years. I still do not see that guy on the team. I hope that putting guys in more natural positions will help bring all ships to port in the pocket.

thunderkyss
03-28-2006, 10:12 AM
I think we need to get back to form of stopping the run. True, pressure on the QB is still a need......... I don't really see Babin/Peek as the answer, but I'm hoping the 3-4/4-3 switch does in fact help them bring that Pass rush. kubes IMHO is doing such an good job everywhere else, I've got to trust that he is aware of the pass rush situation. I'm sure he knows what a pass rush means to a defense, and our chance of winning.

B.Diddy
03-28-2006, 10:21 AM
I half way agree with you i think Peek in the right system is a pro bowler
i can;t say the same for babin im still waiting for those picks we spent on him to pay off