PDA

View Full Version : Moulds Trade Official

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9

chuckm
04-04-2006, 04:06 PM
Im coming out of Lurkland to agree here. All this gets from me at this point is a shrug.

By the way....hi everyone!

:D

<goes back into hiding>

welcome .... don't be a stranger

Señor Stan
04-04-2006, 04:07 PM
Weather in Buffalo tonight...

Highs in the 30's with a snow / rain mix.

WillisXPress
04-04-2006, 04:10 PM
lol the bills fans thought they could get a 3rd. thats hilarious.

Why is it hilarious.....?

Moulds is worth a 3rd....but instead of having a locker room cancer that he had become, we got rid of him.....

I'll be pissed if its for a 5th....which it hasn't been reported yet by anyone but hiljack 108 Texans radio.....

so when the deal is official i'll worry

TexansLucky13
04-04-2006, 04:11 PM
welcome .... don't be a stranger

Yup. Make yourself at home, bud! Just make sure your points are thorough and you can back up what you say with facts. Hehe. Some people have yet to figure that one out.

Go Texans!

P.S. - Do we have Moulds, or is the compensation still needing to be dealt with? I havent seen any solid updates as of yet. But that may be because I just got home. :rolleyes:

Malloy
04-04-2006, 04:12 PM
I have had only one reply from Vand. but it was because i questioned something he said and he was trying to correct himself.

Gotten mails about danish women, so yeah :)

chuckm
04-04-2006, 04:12 PM
Gotten mails about danish women, so yeah :)

French newscasters?

tiger06
04-04-2006, 04:15 PM
Glad to come home to good news! Moulds will help us out tremendously. :redtowel:

Errant Hothy
04-04-2006, 04:17 PM
Damn, wished I'd been on the board when this went offical.

Malloy
04-04-2006, 04:19 PM
Im coming out of Lurkland to agree here. All this gets from me at this point is a shrug.

By the way....hi everyone!

:D

<goes back into hiding>

omg it's the stalker! :)

Malloy
04-04-2006, 04:20 PM
Why is it hilarious.....?

Moulds is worth a 3rd....but instead of having a locker room cancer that he had become, we got rid of him.....

I'll be pissed if its for a 5th....which it hasn't been reported yet by anyone but hiljack 108 Texans radio.....

so when the deal is official i'll worry

One hour ago you told us you were about to let him go for free, make up your mind now will ya ? :)

Malloy
04-04-2006, 04:22 PM
French newscasters?

no, but it was that same day I think. I laughed my rump off listening to that show :)

chuckm
04-04-2006, 04:28 PM
just read on the Bills MB that Sirius Radio is reporting it's our 5th Round pick (no mention of any other pick swapping) .....

DocBar
04-04-2006, 04:29 PM
Just saw this on ESPN. Says the trade is complete. HOORAY!!!!!!!
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2396697

Ibar_Harry
04-04-2006, 04:31 PM
Just saw this on ESPN. Says the trade is complete. HOORAY!!!!!!!
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2396697

Saw this earlier, but my comment is a little love by AJ goes a long way. I love Team players. Makes life and football so much easier.

The Preacher
04-04-2006, 04:44 PM
just read on the Bills MB that Sirius Radio is reporting it's our 5th Round pick (no mention of any other pick swapping) .....

Levy had to take it he had no better offers. That's why I would have been screaming foul if we had caved to the 4th. They could get a really good player there in the 5th so I don't see why they're so upset. It's a lot better than nothing.

hollywood_texan
04-04-2006, 04:44 PM
I hope it is only our 5th round pick. That is a little hard to swallow when guys like Keyshawn get cut and it looks like he gets the same money and the Panthers don't give up anything in terms of picks.

This is something that had to be done, and we did overpay a little with even a 5th round pick because they were going to cut Moulds anyway. We paid a premium to make sure he came to Houston.

Let's at least understand that.

Good move by the Front Office but overpaid a little. As long as he delivers with the same the stats as with Buffalo, everything should work out just fine.

SAMURAITEXAN
04-04-2006, 04:56 PM
YES!!:texflag:

keyfro
04-04-2006, 04:58 PM
this is a great trade for us if it is indeed a 5th round pick...moulds has gotten a bad rep this past season...he is a team player...he is a good receiver...i hope him and aj start meeting with carr to get some chemistry flowing with them

Iroquois Joe
04-04-2006, 05:01 PM
Jags,Titans, Colts, not one of those clubs is liking this signing. :crying:

I feel good for all you Texan Fans. Moulds will make you proud.
I like Moulds and like I said before, I've watched him at close range for ten years. He keeps himself in top physical condition and has a lot left in the tank.

If you got him for a 5th, well....good for you, if it was your 4th, you still got a bargain. even your high 4th. Maybe we swapped 4ths and you gave your 5th.

Even just a 5th can make a good gaurd prospect or fullback.

So, I wish you all well and will keep an eye on how things turn out with Moulds in Texan's colors.

Hope we meet in the playoffs.

Later :thumbup

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
04-04-2006, 05:12 PM
Moulds for a 5th round pick

So Bills fans, which team has all the leverage? lol

LikeABoss
04-04-2006, 05:17 PM
Man, we finally got some competent talent on the offensive side of the ball.

I think we are gonna be competing a whole lot sooner than some people would like to believe.

hollywood_texan
04-04-2006, 05:18 PM
Moulds for a 5th round pick

So Bills fans, which team has all the leverage? lol

Exactly, they were going to cut the guy anyway.

And if they bumped us from our 5th to our 4th, it just seems like we are driving the market instead of paying the market.

No one else was really interested until he got cut.

TheTim5125
04-04-2006, 05:22 PM
i really hope its just the 5th.. our 4th is the first pick of the second day.. so you have all night to look at maybe who got passed over.. you know..

Señor Stan
04-04-2006, 05:24 PM
Exactly, they were going to cut the guy anyway.

And if they bumped us from our 5th to our 4th, it just seems like we are driving the market instead of paying the market.

No one else was really interested until he got cut.

Man, if you're upset about dealing a FIFTH ROUND draft choice for Eric FREAKING Moulds, then nothing will make you happy.

The fact that Moulds will get to start working out with the team now vs. June 30th is worth the pick IMHO.

You probably wouldn't want free chips and pie either. Sheesh.

TexansTrueFan
04-04-2006, 05:34 PM
philly was interested in him to , i mean come on he must really "like" Aj i mean we were 2-14 last season and i know a better team woulda picked him up. And the fact that he choose to come here, makes me like him a lil more. I CANT WAIT FOR THE SEASON TO START, i'm not usually excited about pre-season but now i am JUST HURRY AUGUST :( !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SAMURAITEXAN
04-04-2006, 05:39 PM
It is 5th:yahoo:

Texas_Thrill
04-04-2006, 05:40 PM
How OLD is moulds though? I mean seriously. I know he got a 4 year deal but will he play all 4.

Texans34Life
04-04-2006, 05:41 PM
Dalati on the ticker confirmed it is a 5th rounder that went to Buffalo. Moulds was a little concerned why it was taken so long.

Also, some of those morons on Bills MB said ESPNNews ticker that "picks" were sent to Buffalo.

swtbound07
04-04-2006, 05:42 PM
How OLD is moulds though? I mean seriously. I know he got a 4 year deal but will he play all 4.

Who freaking cares? If he is on the field ONE PLAY he will have provided more than our 2nd round pick bennie joppru

The Dude Abides
04-04-2006, 05:43 PM
Who freaking cares? If he is on the field ONE PLAY he will have provided more than our 2nd round pick bennie joppru

Word.

Anybody see any local footage about the signing?

hollywood_texan
04-04-2006, 05:49 PM
Man, if you're upset about dealing a FIFTH ROUND draft choice for Eric FREAKING Moulds, then nothing will make you happy.

The fact that Moulds will get to start working out with the team now vs. June 30th is worth the pick IMHO.

You probably wouldn't want free chips and pie either. Sheesh.

I am not upset, we just need understand the deal. We overpaid a little which is fine.

They were going to cut the guy anyway.

el toro
04-04-2006, 05:50 PM
I am not upset, we just need understand the deal. We overpaid a little which is fine.

They were going to cut the guy anyway.

The assumption being he would've signed here if he had been cut.

hollywood_texan
04-04-2006, 05:52 PM
philly was interested in him to , i mean come on he must really "like" Aj i mean we were 2-14 last season and i know a better team woulda picked him up. And the fact that he choose to come here, makes me like him a lil more. I CANT WAIT FOR THE SEASON TO START, i'm not usually excited about pre-season but now i am JUST HURRY AUGUST :( !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, and we pushed on the Buchanon trade last year because Washington was interested, at least that is what we thought.

We were wrong about that and we overpriced ourselves.

Let's understand, they were going to cut the guy. The Panthers got Keyshawn for the same money without giving up a draft pick.

The deal seems okay for a 5th round pick, but not the first pick in the 4th round.

thunderkyss
04-04-2006, 05:53 PM

At hs age, and his health, he'll play this year and next for sure. A good maybe for the year after, and just a maybe the year after that.

hollywood_texan
04-04-2006, 05:53 PM
The assumption being he would've signed here if he had been cut.

No, sometimes you just walk away.

The front office has the going rate on the 1st pick of the draft, and it seems pretty high and they are not budging.

Ibar_Harry
04-04-2006, 05:54 PM
A Moulds in the hand is worth 2 in the BUSH. I just couldn't resist. I hope they have a press conference with him. It will be interesting to heare what he is thinking and how he feels he will fit in.

Texans34Life
04-04-2006, 05:57 PM
610 just had Sam Cowart on.

phantom17
04-04-2006, 06:02 PM
It is 5th:yahoo:

I hope it's only a 5th round pick, so the Bills can select............................................ .a long snapper or punter, hahahaha!:yahoo:

clandestin
04-04-2006, 06:04 PM
Channel 4 news in buffalo has also reported that it's a fifth round draft pick.

F-minus67
04-04-2006, 06:08 PM
A pro bowl reciever for a 5th, thats a great trade. Congrads for it finally getting done.

Carr Bombed
04-04-2006, 06:08 PM
At hs age, and his health, he'll play this year and next for sure. A good maybe for the year after, and just a maybe the year after that.

He's almost a year younger than Harrison.

He's FIVE years younger than Jimmy Smith

He's three years younger than Rod Smith

He's three years younger than Keenan McCardell

The WR position is a entirely different when it comes to age. For the most part they don't take big hits or alot of contact compared to other players and can play well into their late 30's. Its not like we are asking Moulds to be our #1 WR. We are asking him to be our #2.

I expect Moulds to be a great signing and more than Solid over the next 4 years.

Rod Smith played under Kubiak and Kubiak was well aware of his age.

Moulds is younger and more athletic than Smith, age really isn't a issue in this signing. Moulds played in a system that didn't even know who the starting QB was and still managed 80 grabs and almost a 1000 yards, he is going to be more than qualified to hold down the #2 spot over the next 4 years.

Iroquois Joe
04-04-2006, 06:09 PM
If Moulds was cut, at his age he might of gone to the Eagles or another contender for less money to get a shot at the Championship. Hell, he was slavering in the news about playing with McNabb a week ago.
And your brass paid more than others might of just to sweaten the pot for that reason.
So why the sour grapes over giving up a 5th from some here, nothing was garaunteed outside a closed deal between the teams.

It's the same on the Bills board, lots of kids out of school bitching they should of got a 3rd or 4th and not looking at the possability of him walking away for nothing.

If it wasn't a good deal for both teams I doubt it would have gone down to begin with.

Iroquois Joe
04-04-2006, 06:14 PM
He's almost a year younger than Harrison.

He's FIVE years younger than Jimmy Smith

He's three years younger than Rod Smith

He's three years younger than Keenan McCardell

The WR position is a entirely different when it comes to age. For the most part they don't take big hits or alot of contact compared to other players and can play well into their late 30's. Its not like we are asking Moulds to be our #1 WR. We are asking him to be our #2.

I expect Moulds to be a great signing and more than Solid over the next 4 years.

Rod Smith played under Kubiak and Kubiak was well aware of his age.

Moulds is younger and more athletic than Smith, age really isn't a issue in this signing. Moulds played in a system that didn't even know who the starting QB was and still managed 80 grabs and almost a 1000 yards, he is going to be more than qualified to hold down the #2 spot over the next 4 years.
I agree, and he blocks too. Your gain is Buffalo's loss. He's never had consistancy behind centre and he's 2nd to Andre Reed on the Bills all times receiver yards total. And Kelly was throwing to Reed.

hollywood_texan
04-04-2006, 06:20 PM
If Moulds was cut, at his age he might of gone to the Eagles or another contender for less money to get a shot at the Championship. Hell, he was slavering in the news about playing with McNabb a week ago.
And your brass paid more than others might of just to sweaten the pot for that reason.
So why the sour grapes over giving up a 5th from some here, nothing was garaunteed outside a closed deal between the teams.

It's the same on the Bills board, lots of kids out of school bitching they should of got a 3rd or 4th and not looking at the possability of him walking away for nothing.

If it wasn't a good deal for both teams I doubt it would have gone down to begin with.

Your kidding me?

Are you famaliar with the Buchanon trade with the Raiders last year?

I believe we gave up our 2nd and 3rd round picks for that guy and he didn't even start the whole year.

5th round pick is cool, still overpaid, but it can easily work to our favor.

Carr Bombed
04-04-2006, 06:23 PM
Your kidding me?

I believe we gave up our 2nd and 3rd round picks for that guy and he didn't even start the whole year.

Why do you think we overpaid, a 5th round pick for this guy is nothing.

As far as 14mil. over the next 4 years, if we let this guy hit the open market he would of comanded ALOT more money. This is a great deal on our part.

el toro
04-04-2006, 06:24 PM
No, sometimes you just walk away.

The front office has the going rate on the 1st pick of the draft, and it seems pretty high and they are not budging.

So you walk away and you've just struck out on your 3rd candidate to be your #2 receiver this offseason. All for a 5th round prospect who could be good or who could be sweeping floors four seasons from now.

Iroquois Joe
04-04-2006, 06:25 PM
Your kidding me?

Yeah, I think a 5th round pick is good. I think the Texans got a good deal and so did the Bills.
And I don't give a rat's bum about the Buchanon trade, it has nothing to do with this. Every team makes mistakes, this isn't one of them by either side.

el toro
04-04-2006, 06:28 PM
If Moulds hit the open market then he'd be less likely to be a Texan and he'd end up costing a little bit more, IMO.

Geez, the team just turned their 5th and 7th rounders into legitimate #2 and #3 receivers. Why are we looking for the dark lining on the silver cloud?

TexanFan881
04-04-2006, 06:30 PM
All around I think we got a great bargain in Moulds.

We obviously did a great job with the trade, making the Bills only take a 5th rounder instead of a 4th. I think we did a good contract with him also considering he is a great player.

hollywood_texan
04-04-2006, 06:35 PM
If Moulds wanted more money or wanted to play somewhere else, he wouldn't have signed a reduced contract.

The Bills would have cut him and he would have been a free agent.

So that tells me he wants to be in Houston because he preferred that than testing the free agent market.

I am not looking for a dark lining.

It's like playing poker or buying a car/house.

We paid a little extra. I don't see a problem with that here with a 5th round pick. He will probably make up for it.

But, you have to understand when you do overpay. Generally, in these situations, the guy gets cut.

Señor Stan
04-04-2006, 06:35 PM
Yeah, and we pushed on the Buchanon trade last year because Washington was interested, at least that is what we thought.

We were wrong about that and we overpriced ourselves.

Let's understand, they were going to cut the guy. The Panthers got Keyshawn for the same money without giving up a draft pick.

The deal seems okay for a 5th round pick, but not the first pick in the 4th round.

Moulds >>> Me-shawn.

Keyshawn is slow. Maurice Clarrett slow. We have our guy to catch the tough ball in the middle already ( Kevin Walter ).

Moulds gives the Texans their first ever legit #2 (#1A if you please).

Also, keep in mind, the Texans were reported to be seeking a #2 receiver with the 1st pick of the 2nd round. Would you rather have a top notch OL or CB + Moulds or a 2nd round WR + a 5th rounder?

If they had waited until Moulds was cut, they may have been forced to take a receiver with one of their early picks. Not any more.

thunderkyss
04-04-2006, 06:36 PM
If Moulds was cut, at his age he might of gone to the Eagles or another contender for less money to get a shot at the Championship.

Other than the QB, the Eagles may have a talented tight end........ maybe..... if it weren't for their QB, no one, and I mean no one, would think they even had a chance at a championship.

yes, I said it....... everyone else on offense is chopped liver........ we have more talent than they do, and have for quite some time now.

el toro
04-04-2006, 06:38 PM
Look at it this way. You have the following picks:

6th rounder
7th rounder (compensatory)

So you have seven picks in the draft. You could've had nine, but you turned two of your picks, which were within the last three rounds, into legit #2 and #3 receivers, guys who can play in the NFL and produce...now. Sure, all things being equal, it would've been nice not to give up the 5th rounder to land Moulds. But that was a necessity given the situation.

michaelm
04-04-2006, 06:38 PM
Geez, the team just turned their 5th and 7th rounders into legitimate #2 and #3 receivers.

el toro, that is an excellent perspective of these transactions. I mean excellent.
we completely revamped our reciever corps and only gave a 5th and 7th to do it...

It's like a tornado swept us all to OZ... I'd like to get a look behind the curtain... there's a mad genius back there pulling all the right levers...

BTW... you can tell that I'm excited when I start making silly statements like the above...

TexanFan881
04-04-2006, 06:39 PM
Updated depth chart from kffl :)

First Team Primary Backup Backups
QB David Carr Dave Ragone Sage Rosenfels
RB Domanick Davis Vernand Morency
FB Jameel Cook Moran Norris
LWR Eric Moulds /
Andre Johnson Donovan Morgan Kendrick Starling
RWR Kevin Walter Derick Armstrong Jerome Mathis
TE Mark Bruener Jeb Putzier Bennie Joppru
ORT Todd Wade
ORG Zach Wiegert Fred Weary
C Mike Flanagan / Steve McKinney Drew Hodgdon
OLG Steve McKinney Todd Washington
OLT Chester Pitts Seth Wand

LDE Anthony Weaver Jason Davis
LDT Travis Johnson Seth Payne Jerry Deloach
RDT Robaire Smith Junior Ioane Alfred Malone
RDE Antwan Peek Jason Babin Elliott Harris
SSL Kailee Wong Shantee Orr Charlie Anderson | Troy Evans
ML Wali Rainer /
Sam Cowart DaShon Polk Frank Chamberlin | Zeke Moreno
WSL Morlon Greenwood Kenneth Pettway Quinn Dorsey | Andre Torrey

LCB Dunta Robinson Lewis Sanders Chris McKenzie
RCB Phillip Buchanon Demarcus Faggins Mark Estelle
SS Glenn Earl Ramon Walker Jammal Lord | Kevin Curtis
FS C.C. Brown Jason Simmons Anthony Floyd /
Anthony Floyd

PK Kris Brown Hayden Epstein
P Chad Stanley

HJam72
04-04-2006, 06:40 PM
This thread has now gone over 1900 posts. Don't know what the longest was or if this is it, but I do know that the most users ever on this site was about 3 hrs. ago and that was 925. There are 805 on right now. :wow:

Moulds has certainly gotten our attention.

thunderkyss
04-04-2006, 06:41 PM
If Moulds was cut, at his age he might of gone to the Eagles or another contender for less money to get a shot at the Championship.

Other than the QB, the Eagles may have a talented tight end........ maybe..... if it weren't for their QB, no one, and I mean no one, would think they even had a chance at a championship.

yes, I said it....... everyone else on offense is chopped liver........ we have more talent than they do, and have for quite some time now.

el toro
04-04-2006, 06:44 PM
If Moulds wanted more money or wanted to play somewhere else, he wouldn't have signed a reduced contract.

The Bills would have cut him and he would have been a free agent.

So that tells me he wants to be in Houston because he preferred that than testing the free agent market.

I am not looking for a dark lining.

It's like playing poker or buying a car/house.

We paid a little extra. I don't see a problem with that here with a 5th round pick. He will probably make up for it.

But, you have to understand when you do overpay. Generally, in these situations, the guy gets cut.

You paid for a reason. You paid because otherwise you couldn't land the player. Is it an excessive price to pay for a #2 receiver in general? I don't think so.

The Texans did what they had to do. They entered the trade picture because that limited the competition for him. Is it 'overpaying' when you pay the price necessary to get a player you wouldn't otherwise be able to get?

hollywood_texan
04-04-2006, 06:50 PM
I think we are all the same page. I like the deal even though we overpaid a bit.

It was something that had to be done.

Besides, some people are selling the orangization short that Moulds wants to play for a winner.

The Texans have a first rate facility, huge market, loyal fan base, #1 pick quarterback, #1 pick running back, and #4 pick wide receiver.

He agreed to this new deal and he could have forced Buffalo to cut him to go into free agent mode.

I think he wants to play in Houston!

Good. He will probably be worth the premium.

NeViKaN
04-04-2006, 06:51 PM
If Moulds hit the open market then he'd be less likely to be a Texan and he'd end up costing a little bit more, IMO.

Geez, the team just turned their 5th and 7th rounders into legitimate #2 and #3 receivers. Why are we looking for the dark lining on the silver cloud?

I agree.

I have not read all 40K posts but weren't we all excited about Moulds for a 5th?

I think it is a great deal. We finaly, for the first time in our history, have a #2 and #3. Actualy we now have 2 #1's. Not to many teams can say that. I'll ask the question this way. What chance did we have to pick a reciever in the 5th round that would catch 80 passes for about 1000 yards? ENOUGH SAID.

In-addition this will help our line aswell. They can't double AJ or send the kitchen sink. We have made some great moves this offseason. WOW!!!

For those that are so upset I believe that you would complain about winning the Lottery.

RiotCommander
04-04-2006, 06:55 PM
Anyone who does not like us getting Moulds needs to go back and watch Carr getting sacked because he had no one open. When Andre is the only real option you may end up on your back a lot. He gives us a true #2 WR, and will help develope our younger kids.

Now if we take bush which seems to be the overall opinion of most experts we could have a lot of talent. I just hope we fix the line too. Then we just have to fix the defense :)

:stirpot:

clandestin
04-04-2006, 07:00 PM
The 'overpaid' thing doesn't fly with this deal. We signed a former pro-bowler for a contract with only 5 mil guaranteed, averaging 3.6 mil a year for four years. And the low low cost of a 5th round draft pick.

Look over our previous 5th rounders. Also look at some of the high dollar guys we've brought in that haven't panned out.

This deal has all the makings of a steal. Moulds will make both Andre and Carr better, and he should have at least a few years of productivity left. He also fills another need that will allow the texans' to take BPA throughout the entire draft.

JAXwithanX
04-04-2006, 07:00 PM
Please....someone go check on what th Eagles boards are talking about right now.

.....and Buffalo

The Dude Abides
04-04-2006, 07:02 PM
I think ABC 13 Bob Allen just said it was a 6th round pick. Could he be wrong? God, that would be awesome. I don't have a link, sorry guys...

clandestin
04-04-2006, 07:03 PM
I'm guessing he's wrong, but I hope not. If only to see the bills fans reactions ;)

Carr Bombed
04-04-2006, 07:03 PM
I think we are all the same page. I like the deal even though we overpaid a bit.

It was something that had to be done.

Besides, some people are selling the orangization short that Moulds wants to play for a winner.

The Texans have a first rate facility, huge market, loyal fan base, #1 pick quarterback, #1 pick running back, and #4 pick wide receiver.

He agreed to this new deal and he could have forced Buffalo to cut him to go into free agent mode.

I think he wants to play in Houston!

Good. He will probably be worth the premium.

AJ was taken #3 ovrl behind the Great Charles Rodgers, I bet Detroit would like to have that pick back.

Speaking of the Lions they are trying to move Joey H. for a 6 rounder....Ouch.

Oh yeah....where do you think we overpaid, you keep saying we overpaid, but thats all.

Do you think we overpaid on the contract or the 5th round pick.

dat_boy_yec
04-04-2006, 07:08 PM
610 has been reporting a fifth to the Bills. Where is everybody getting the 4th rd. pick from.

Carr Bombed
04-04-2006, 07:09 PM
610 has been reporting a fifth to the Bills. Where is everybody getting the 4th rd. pick from.

everybody is reporting a 5th round pick

HJam72
04-04-2006, 07:10 PM
Please....someone go check on what th Eagles boards are talking about right now.

.....and Buffalo

The Eagles are probably saying they hate Houston and it's too hot and there's so much humidity and the mosquitos and McNabb is better than Carr and then someone says, "But what about the babes?" and he gets suspended from the board temporarilly and it goes on and on...

It's bound to be something like that. :rolleyes:

TexanFan881
04-04-2006, 07:12 PM
This is what the trade is:

Bills get...............Texans get
5th round pick.........Eric Moulds

hollywood_texan
04-04-2006, 07:18 PM
Yes, we overpaid, but I am not too worried about.

Buffalo was going to cut him. We paid the premium due to the 5th round pick. My point is we paid premium, that is it. I think it will pay for it's self.

Buffalo got a great deal though, they basically turned a situation that the were going to get nothing into something. If this was in our division, we probably wouldn't have done it. Maybe this explains my point a little further?

As for Joey Harrington, I believe teams are going to wait till he gets cut.

Look, most of these guys get cut. Probably some of the time is due to the guy wants to test the free agent market.

Moulds didn't do that here, he wants to play in Houston.

It is possible we could have gotten him after he was cut.

Also, we could have shown we mean a little more business in negotiations.

However, we can do that with another deal.

Still a good deal but really helped out Buffalo, they got a freebe.

hollywood_texan
04-04-2006, 07:20 PM

There was speculation to that in the initial reports.

TexanFan881
04-04-2006, 07:21 PM
It was reported that the Bills wanted a fourth round pick originally but when there was little intrest in trading for him the Texans were able to haggle with the Bills to get them to come down to a 5th.

HJam72
04-04-2006, 07:22 PM

Buffalo was going to cut him. We paid the premium due to the 5th round pick. My point is we paid premium, that is it. I think it will pay for it's self.

Buffalo got a great deal though, they basically turned a situation that the were going to get nothing into something. If this was in our division, we probably wouldn't have done it. Maybe this explains my point a little further?

Look, most of these guys get cut. Probably some of the time is due to the guy wants to test the free agent market.

How would you feel if the whole thing went bust, Moulds became a FA, and he went straight to the Eagles? "I wanna play wit McNabb. I wanna play wit McNabb." I think they did the right thing.

Iroquois Joe
04-04-2006, 07:24 PM

.....and Buffalo
Some posters are going on about Mularkey (ex head coach) and ex GM Tom Donahoe, who for the most part gutted a top 5 Defense by sending away Williams and Peeing off Sam Adams and Moulds among other unforgiveable sins, such as neglecting the O line until it was a sieve.

I would'nt wish thoes two fools on say...the Dolphins, Oh wait... they did hire one. Mularkey as OC. He'll call trick passing plays three times in a row at 1st and goal for them.

Other than that, it's the same as here, comming to terms with a deal that went down for better or worse that no one has any control over anyway.

I'm going to paddle my canoe up the ice floes in the river and look for settlements to burn now. :stirpot: and chidren to cook.

I'll be back to keep tabs on my boy Moulds from time to time.

JAXwithanX
04-04-2006, 07:25 PM

that doesn't really make sense. id like to point out the word 'possible'. sure it was possible we could have got him after he was cut....but its much more beneficial going into the draft knowing we have him....not including the fact is highly 'probable' that someone after the draft would have really overspent on him after coming to terms they don't have a #1 or #2 reciever....and weren't able to pick up a guy in the draft. we made out like bandits....period. and buffalo....they did not....a 5th is crap....unless they really need a punter....or some special teams players....the 5th is pretty much pot luck.

Bronco Texan
04-04-2006, 07:30 PM
John Clayton reported that the Bills really wanted to make the deal because if they released him they thought he would go to New England. So I say it was important for both teams to get the trade done. Because he wasn't coming here if he were released.

HJam72
04-04-2006, 07:31 PM
John Clayton reported that the Bills really wanted to make the deal because if they released him they thought he would go to New England. So I say it was important for both teams to get the trade done. Because he wasn't coming here if he were released.

Figures. Those Patriot people are sneaky smart.

NeViKaN
04-04-2006, 07:38 PM
Can anyone say mentor?

Aaron Glenn...............Donte Robinson

Eric Moulds.................Andre Johnson

hollywood_texan
04-04-2006, 07:42 PM
that doesn't really make sense. id like to point out the word 'possible'. sure it was possible we could have got him after he was cut....but its much more beneficial going into the draft knowing we have him....not including the fact is highly 'probable' that someone after the draft would have really overspent on him after coming to terms they don't have a #1 or #2 reciever....and weren't able to pick up a guy in the draft. we made out like bandits....period. and buffalo....they did not....a 5th is crap....unless they really need a punter....or some special teams players....the 5th is pretty much pot luck.

I think that is our problem. The 5th round and after are crucial. The most successful teams find contributing players in the later rounds.

Walters from Cincinnati was a 7th round pick and we signed him just recently. If Cincinnati didn't have the glut of WRs, they would have kept him. But, they get an extra 7th round pick due to the compensatory rules and have twice the pot luck you just described this year in the 7th round.

A team that continues to do that year in and year out, is going to accumulate a lot of extra picks if they just tender their players and they get signed somewhere else.

Hopefully people see my point on how valuable this pick is, even though it is the 5th round pick.

The poor to medicore teams have pot luck in the 5th and after.

Porky
04-04-2006, 07:45 PM
Fantastic news! :redtowel:

I don't get this "overpaid" statement I keep hearing. A 5th rounder for a proven talent like Moulds, with a good contract to boot is somehow overpaying? If he hits the open market, many more teams would enter the bidding, and you have much less chance of landing him. Not only that, they would probably release him around July, post-draft. So, you end up being forced to take a WR high in the draft, as you cannot count on landing Moulds. Overpaying? Totally prepostourous. What, are we worried we might be passing on the next Vontez Duff?

This was a FANTASTIC deal for the Texans, and the Bills at least saved face by getting the 5th, and it worked out for all involved.

Welcome to Houston Eric. I am feeling warm and mouldy all over. :yahoo:

Mightymike
04-04-2006, 07:56 PM
I think that is our problem. The 5th round and after are crucial. The most successful teams find contributing players in the later rounds.

Walters from Cincinnati was a 7th round pick and we signed him just recently. If Cincinnati didn't have the glut of WRs, they would have kept him. But, they get an extra 7th round pick due to the compensatory rules and have twice the pot luck you just described this year in the 7th round.

A team that continues to do that year in and year out, is going to accumulate a lot of extra picks if they just tender their players and they get signed somewhere else.

Hopefully people see my point on how valuable this pick is, even though it is the 5th round pick.

what better can we get for that 5th round pick
ur an idiot man come on, POT LUCK? a 5th round pick may be of some value, but not nearly worth what having Moulds for 3-4 years does.

hollywood_texan
04-04-2006, 07:58 PM
Fantastic news! :redtowel:

I don't get this "overpaid" statement I keep hearing. A 5th rounder for a proven talent like Moulds, with a good contract to boot is somehow overpaying? If he hits the open market, many more teams would enter the bidding, and you have much less chance of landing him. Not only that, they would probably release him around July, post-draft. So, you end up being forced to take a WR high in the draft, as you cannot count on landing Moulds. Overpaying? Totally prepostourous. What, are we worried we might be passing on the next Vontez Duff?

This was a FANTASTIC deal for the Texans, and the Bills at least saved face by getting the 5th, and it worked out for all involved.

Welcome to Houston Eric. I am feeling warm and mouldy all over. :yahoo:

I think you are missing my point.

We overpaid because of either previously poor drafting or coaching. We let two of our receivers go in free agency with zero compensation.

Buffalo on the other hand gets a freebe. Now that makes it we have given up our 5th and 7th round picks for because of WR vacancy left from free agency.

We need to be on the other side of the deal.

Cincinnati can draft well in the 7th round and now they have an extra pick this year in the 7th.

Do you see my point?

I like the deal but we paid a premium. Let's understand why and not do it again!

If we start making a habit of this, it's going to point to a bigger problem and it isn't going to matter who is on the roster.

hollywood_texan
04-04-2006, 08:00 PM
what better can we get for that 5th round pick
ur an idiot man come on, POT LUCK? a 5th round pick may be of some value, but not nearly worth what having Moulds for 3-4 years does.

Again, missing my point, the successful teams don't look at the later rounds as pot luck.

They turn those guys into compensatory picks.

Think of Walters and Cincinnati.

We need to start working that side of the equation.

aj.
04-04-2006, 08:02 PM
The notion of overpay in this case is ridicuous. Great job Texans.

swtbound07
04-04-2006, 08:08 PM
brilliant. I ask you people this..on day 2 of the draft, be on this message board, and tell me what reciever you want to draft when our (buffalo's) pick is up. If you have one better than eric moulds, we can talk. If not...be happy!

Mightymike
04-04-2006, 08:09 PM
Again, missing my point, the successful teams don't look at the later rounds as pot luck.

so you are telling me that successfull teams look to draft late rounders just so they can get compensation, but the bad teams look at them as good additions to their team. WOW

hollywood_texan
04-04-2006, 08:13 PM
The notion of overpay in this case is ridicuous. Great job Texans.

If that is the case, why wasn't anyone else interested? If it was such a steal, why wasn't any team trying to outbid us?

The Eagles appear to have been interested in Moulds as much as the Redskins were interested in Buchanon last year.

I still think it is a good deal but we paid a premium. We established the market price, not the market.

We were in jam because we didn't produce WRs in the first 4 years and we lost them in free agency and we have to make up for it right now before the draft. We saw opportunity and paid a little extra.

Let's get things set so it doesn't happen again!

Does that make sense?

That is my underlying point.

MightyTExan
04-04-2006, 08:13 PM
Moulds agrees to contract with Houston

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12102608/

BUFFALO, N.Y. - Eric Moulds agreed to a contract with Houston on Tuesday and said the Texans have worked out a trade to acquire him from the Buffalo Bills.

“Yeah, it’s done,” said Greg Johnson, Moulds’ personal adviser. “I’m ecstatic. I’m relieved, happy and thankful that all parties came to an agreement.”

Moulds said he met with Texans receiver Andre Johnson, and he believes he can both complement and tutor the emerging star. He’s also excited about the possibility of Houston bolstering its offense by selecting USC running back and Heisman Trophy winner Reggie Bush with the No. 1 pick in this month’s draft.

“I would tell them to get their tickets ready. You are going to see a show,” Moulds said, when asked what message he had for Texans fans. “It’s not going to be the same Texans you’ve seen before. It’s going to be an exciting time.”

hollywood_texan
04-04-2006, 08:15 PM
so you are telling me that successfull teams look to draft late rounders just so they can get compensation, but the bad teams look at them as good additions to their team. WOW

No, not necessarily, but it just gives them options. It is worth to keep the player within their current talent pool or take compensation in more draft picks.

aj.
04-04-2006, 08:16 PM
If that is the case, why wasn't anyone else interested? If it was such a steal, why wasn't any team trying to outbid us?

The Eagles appear to have been interested in Moulds as much as the Redskins were interested in Buchanon last year.

I still think it is a good deal but we paid a premium. We established the market price, not the market.

We were in jam because we didn't produce WRs in the first 4 years and we lost them in free agency and we have to make up for it right now before the draft. We saw opportunity and paid a little extra.

Does that make sense?

Compare what we just gave Moulds to what the Seahawks and Titans gave Burleson and Givens, then get back to me at the end of the '07 season and we'll talk.

Mightymike
04-04-2006, 08:18 PM

Does that make sense?

how much should we have payed him then?

we didn't make a mistake, why do you keep acting like we did something wrong here? we had to get him before they cut him or else he would have gone to Eagles or Patriots(teams he preferred being on over Houston cuz of ring possibilities and QB talent). 4 yr 15 mil isn't a lot for a Pro Bowl WR, even under the circumstances of his situation with the bills

Mightymike
04-04-2006, 08:18 PM
i kinda stole that from ya

Mightymike
04-04-2006, 08:19 PM
No, not necessarily, but it just gives them options. It is worth to keep the player within their current talent pool or take compensation in more draft picks.

thats not the mindset of any team when they draft. they draft players to improve their team, not to gain picks for the players in the long run

TexanFan881
04-04-2006, 08:21 PM
We just got a great player to fix a huge problem we've had for awhile. We've got the cap room, would you rather have air filling it or Eric Moulds?

TexanFan881
04-04-2006, 08:24 PM
“I would tell them to get their tickets ready. You are going to see a show,” Moulds said, when asked what message he had for Texans fans. “It’s not going to be the same Texans you’ve seen before. It’s going to be an exciting time.”

I'm ready for the show :yahoo:
:tv::popcorn::party:

TexanFan881
04-04-2006, 08:26 PM
Moulds is going to help out AJ a lot and Carr.

And he's going to take pressure off Putzier, Walter, Mathis, Davis, and Bush :)

JAXwithanX
04-04-2006, 08:28 PM

you don't really 'get' football and especially off season free-agency and acquisitions do you? the stuff you are saying is just like....well its backwards. the way of thinking about this is....would we have got an eric moulds next year in the draft in the 5th round....the answer....plain and simple is no. no chance. and kevin walters drafted in the 7th is no damn moulds.

Mr Shush
04-04-2006, 08:36 PM
Statistically, picks from the fifth round onwards are no more likely to pan out than undrafted rookie free agents. A fifth round pick is very nearly worthless.

TexanFan881
04-04-2006, 08:39 PM
Statistically, picks from the fifth round onwards are no more likely to pan out than undrafted rookie free agents. A fifth round pick is very nearly worthless.

Drew Hodgen and C.C. Brown were 5th and 6th round picks and they started for us. That either shows how good we are at picking or how horrible our oline and safeties were...

jacquescas
04-04-2006, 08:39 PM
if you think he would have signed here if he were released then yes we slightly overpaid.

from all the reports he would not have come here as a free agent, Philidelphia and New England were waiting in the wings to scoop him up.

Frankly i like it, one less pick to spend money on a player with zero experience, money we could use on a Wali Ranier type.

hollywood_texan
04-04-2006, 08:42 PM
Compare what we just gave Moulds to what the Seahawks and Titans gave Burleson and Givens, then get back to me at the end of the '07 season and we'll talk.

I am not talking about the contract.

It is draft pick and they were going to cut him anyway.

I need to do some research, because I think the succesfull teams have a good track record drafting the later rounds (5-7). It other words, it isn't pot luck for the good teams.

I think it is a good deal besides the premium because of the situation we are in. However, Gaffney, if I remember correctly was a second round pick in 2004 and we got zero compensation when he went to the Eagles. Why is that? Cincinnati got compensation for Walter's he was a 7th rounder.

I think this shows we need to do better in drafting or coaching, or both.

I know we changed coaches and I the other stuff.

Besides, you guys are not getting my point.

It is just another perspective and I don't want to see us in this position again, because that means are team sucks.

I will leave it alone.

texansfan1974
04-04-2006, 08:44 PM
:sleep: I must be dreaming, because things don't happen like this in Houston. After last season I was really down, but I still loved the Texans, I stayed with them through it all as I'm sure alot of you did. Now they are showing us they want to win and bring :respect: back to H-Town.
I would like to thank Bob McNair for this team and for doing an excellent job.:redtowel: :fans:

Señor Stan
04-04-2006, 08:47 PM

This is how compensation picks work this year for Restricted Free Agents:

Orginal draft round position - around $700K
First-round tenders - around $1.5 million
1st and 3rd tenders- around $2.0 million

Kevin Walter was a 7th round pick. That's why the Bengals got a 7th rounder.

The Texans currently have Peek at a 1st round tender for about $1.5M. If a team took Peek, we would get their 1st rounder. Wand and Ragone are in the "Original Draft Position" tender at 700K. They were both 3rd rounders, so that is what we would get if another team signed them. We would have a week to match or the other team would get the player and we would get the pick.

To get on "the other end of the equation" a team would have to sign one of our RFAs. Gaffney was a RFA last year, but no teams wanted to pay the price to sign him.

Here is the other way to get compensatory picks:
http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/9341500

You basically have to lose more quality free agents than you sign. NOT a good way to acquire picks IMO.

hollywood_texan
04-04-2006, 08:49 PM
if you think he would have signed here if he were released then yes we slightly overpaid.

from all the reports he would not have come here as a free agent, Philidelphia and New England were waiting in the wings to scoop him up.

Frankly i like it, one less pick to spend money on a player with zero experience, money we could use on a Wali Ranier type.

If you are correct that Philadelphia or New England would have gotten him, why did he redo his contract with us?

He could have done nothing or made higher expectations that we couldn't have deliverd on and forced Buffalo to cut him.

Then as a free agent, he could have done whatever he wanted.

Moulds was really in the driver seat because Buffalo wasn't going to keep his contract.

It looks like to me he wants to be in Houston. It was his choice if he wanted to try free agency but he picked us instead.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
04-04-2006, 08:50 PM
To even imply that the Texans overpaid for Moulds in terms of draft picks is just insane.

Ibar_Harry
04-04-2006, 08:52 PM
If you are correct that Philadelphia or New England would have gotten him, why did he redo his contract with us?

He could have done nothing or made higher expectations that we couldn't have deliverd on and forced Buffalo to cut him.

Then as a free agent, he could have done whatever he wanted.

Moulds was really in the driver seat because Buffalo wasn't going to keep his contract.

It looks like to me he wants to be in Houston. It was his choice if he wanted to try free agency but he picked us instead.

Philly and NE are not known for lucrative contracts. Both of these teams are really on a downward tilt. Pretty hard for us to go any lower, but we really have the look of an up and coming team. Closer to home and his family so I would think Houston all in all looked like a better deal.

titan hater
04-04-2006, 08:53 PM
To even imply that the Texans overpaid for Moulds in terms of draft picks is just insane.

Agreed

hollywood_texan
04-04-2006, 08:59 PM
This is how compensation picks work this year for Restricted Free Agents:

Orginal draft round position - around $700K
First-round tenders - around $1.5 million
1st and 3rd tenders- around $2.0 million

Kevin Walter was a 7th round pick. That's why the Bengals got a 7th rounder.

The Texans currently have Peek at a 1st round tender for about $1.5M. If a team took Peek, we would get their 1st rounder. Wand and Ragone are in the "Original Draft Position" tender at 700K. They were both 3rd rounders, so that is what we would get if another team signed them. We would have a week to match or the other team would get the player and we would get the pick.

To get on "the other end of the equation" a team would have to sign one of our RFAs. Gaffney was a RFA last year, but no teams wanted to pay the price to sign him.

Here is the other way to get compensatory picks:
http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/9341500

You basically have to lose more quality free agents than you sign. NOT a good way to acquire picks IMO.

I don't understand your last point. I thought it was a player by player situation like you described above. Your last point leads me to believe you take into account all free agent signings and that you lose as a whole.

I understand the general principle idea and what you described..

Trying to show a different perspective but it is not getting through.

My point is really more of an analysis of where the organization is right now and what we need to do so we are not in it in the future.

Which means, make our later round picks worth something. Either the player becomes a starter or contributor, or we get compensation through a compensatory pick. I know we can't do it on every player but let's have the highest success percentage in the league.

I don't like the idea of just saying, oh it is 5th round selection and kiss it good bye.

Hopefully you understand the perspective I am trying to put on this besides this is greatest thing and Carr is going to through for 5,000 yards, Reggie Bush is going to break ankles on screens, and so and so on.

Now, that is really it. If you don't get it now, either I am not explaining right or something else.

Either way, it really doesn't matter because I don't make any decisions except for pay for my season tickets.

Go Texans.

Looking forward to the 2006 season.

Kaiser Toro
04-04-2006, 09:00 PM

I simply must vehemently disagree with you. This is the type of signing a mature organization makes. The right player at the right price out of the goodness of that player's choice. He wanted to be here, you can't put a price tag on that. Hopefully this is the beginning of a waterfall for us in our acquisitions of quality talent.

It is a good day to be a Texan. :texflag:

BadLandsMeanie
04-04-2006, 09:02 PM
Perfectly said.

You guys who are complaining are nuts. A fifth round pick for Emo is chump change. WE would have given that up for him and the contract you got him for. You are lucky he wanted to get out of Buffalo becuase there is no question we would have paid that for him.

Ibar_Harry
04-04-2006, 09:10 PM
From the Chronicle and you will love this. Kind of sounds like me and what I have been saying. Oh, well. lets have some fun.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/3771517.html

The only thing I don't like is no confirmation by the Bills or Houston....

Carr Bombed
04-04-2006, 09:17 PM
I think you are missing my point.

We overpaid because of either previously poor drafting or coaching. We let two of our receivers go in free agency with zero compensation.

Buffalo on the other hand gets a freebe. Now that makes it we have given up our 5th and 7th round picks for because of WR vacancy left from free agency.

We need to be on the other side of the deal.

Cincinnati can draft well in the 7th round and now they have an extra pick this year in the 7th.

Do you see my point?

I like the deal but we paid a premium. Let's understand why and not do it again!

If we start making a habit of this, it's going to point to a bigger problem and it isn't going to matter who is on the roster.

ah..not really, because correct me if I'm wrong but weren't both those receivers you were talking about free agents. Gaffney was a RFA and he doesn't have anything to do with this deal. Thats like saying when we draft a CB in this years draft you think we overpaid, because Pburnt didn't work out. The Moulds deal in judged only on the MOULDS DEAL, not what the previous choaching staff did, or previous acquisitions.

As far as overpaying for Eric Moulds, because we dealt a 5th that ludicrous. Theres a reason why Eagle fans are throwing a fit and theres a reason why Bill fans are pissed off.

Look at some of the opinions of our own divisional rivals

http://forum.colts.com/showthread.php?t=7550

http://forums.titansonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15365

http://www.jaguars.com/mb/default.aspx?f=9&m=798380

Everbody thinks this was a very good deal and when you take into account that the Bills were pushing for a 4th round draft pick and we pulled the deal off just giving up a 5th, this is a steal.

If you think we're going to be able to pick up a player in the 5th round thats going to make a bigger difference than a player who racks up 80 catches and about a 1000 yards a year, your crazy.

This is one of the best deals so far in the entire offseason, league wide.

outofhnd
04-04-2006, 09:21 PM
The only reason they havent is that the contracts have not been signed to make it official chances are that will happen here in a day or two after going to the USC draftapalooza this weekend they have had their hands full with draft analysis... If everyone is reporting this then its done.

Carr Bombed
04-04-2006, 09:23 PM
Which means, make our later round picks worth something. Either the player becomes a starter or contributor.

I don't think you get the point, We did make our later round picks worth something.

With the 5th and 7th pick we totally revamped our entire WR core and as far as making later picks starters and contributor, both those picks that we used to acquire players, will be starters and contributors

JAXwithanX
04-04-2006, 09:32 PM
the way of thinking about this is....would we have got an eric moulds or anyone for that matter who can come in and contribute as at least a number 2 WR in the 5th round of the draft....the answer....plain and simple is no.

we didn't overpay, we just payed....a very low low price. think of it as payment for going into the draft knowing who we need to get and not having to battle other teams in desperate need of any WR.

Koolbrz
04-04-2006, 09:33 PM

Do you honestly think that we could possibly even come close to picking up a player with Moulds talent and experience in the 5th rd. I DON'T THINK SO!!! This is one of the better picks from FA that we have had. His exp. alone is going to pay off with AJ and the other recievers. Can you say mentor!! You get more than just a proven player dude. We don't need pot luck, we need quality players now and he sure is worth the pick. 5th rd. pick is not as valuable as you think. I can see someone getting lucky every now and then, but yr in and yr out!! I DON'T THINK SO!!! All we need is Bush and you can offically call us "The Greatest Show In Texas" Can't wait for the season to begin!!! Go Texans!!!!:yahoo:

dat_boy_yec
04-04-2006, 09:33 PM
I don't care what anybody says this was a great signing. Comparisons to Meshawn fall a little short, because he went to a SB contender and more than likely gave them that discount. Also, Moulds is better than Johnson in my opinion and probably has more gas in tank. I'm so happy this got done I can't wait for the season to start.

Errant Hothy
04-04-2006, 09:37 PM
If it's for a 5th it's a bloody gereat signing, and caps off what has beed a wonderful month or so for us fans. Here's hoping top a great draft in a few weeks. Nice job Kubiak and Cass.

hollywood_texan
04-04-2006, 09:45 PM
I don't think you get the point, We did make our later round picks worth something.

With the 5th and 7th pick we totally revamped our entire WR core and as far as making later picks starters and contributor, both those picks that we used to acquire players, will be starters and contributors

Okay, my perspective isn't mutually exclusive from what you guys are saying.

I am not saying you guys are wrong or the deal is bad, just a take look from a different perspective.

For example on the Walters deal, yes we just got a possession WR with some potential upside that does good work on special teams for a 7th pick. Yes, that is good deal for us. But look at it from a different perspective, now Cincinnati has two 7th rounds picks to do the same thing again. Let's just say the later rounds are pot luck, which for the better teams I don't think they are, they have better chance of their 7th rounders becoming future contributing players. Furthermore, they are really getting to decide who they want to keep on their team. I know you can't do this with every later round pick but I want to focus on being the best in the league on this because that is value.

Here is an example on the Moulds thing. Let's say you are married with kids and moving across the country for a new job. You find the neighborhood you want to live and the house. You place the bid on the house but get outbid by someone who is just moving up in the neighborhood and doesn't need to move right away. You are living in an apartment and the wife and kids want a house pronto. Instead of waiting a few months and paying market, you pay a premium. The guy just living in the neighborhood trying to move up takes his time because there is no rush and won't pay the premium. These are in different positions and the first guys pays the premium because of his situation.

That is what I am talking about the 5th round pick we gave. It is a good deal considering the position we are in. But let's not be in it again, let's not kiss later round picks good bye.

Hopefully, I have explained it there.

I don't think you guys or wrong, or that it is even a bad deal.

Just take a different perspective to guage if the organization is making the right moves in the future.

OzzO
04-04-2006, 09:50 PM

I know it was posted above and quoted... just wanted to see it one more time.

I think I get what Hollywood is saying, that we could've waited till he was released, then get Moulds.... but like was mentioned - may go to another team or get into a bidding war. This way, we had a little influence in the decision. (Oh, thanks for the additional influence #80).

GO TEXANS!

Edit... can't wait for player introductions when the stadium screams the names of our newest Texans.

Kaiser Toro
04-04-2006, 09:53 PM
I know it was posted above and quoted... just wanted to see it one more time.

I think I get what Hollywood is saying, that we could've waited till he was released, then get Moulds.... but like was mentioned - may go to another team or get into a bidding war. This way, we had a little influence in the decision. (Oh, thanks for the additional influence #80).

GO TEXANS!

Yep. If paying a 5th round pick is what it takes to sign top notch players, then call me crazy, but I kind of like that proposition.

keyfro
04-04-2006, 09:54 PM
the best thing of this trade is that it already looks like moulds and dre already have a good relationship off the field which will help them produce on the field...now we just need to get carr and putzier into that mix so they are ready to go by season's start

Porky
04-04-2006, 09:55 PM
I don't understand your last point. I thought it was a player by player situation like you described above. Your last point leads me to believe you take into account all free agent signings and that you lose as a whole.

I understand the general principle idea and what you described..

Trying to show a different perspective but it is not getting through.

My point is really more of an analysis of where the organization is right now and what we need to do so we are not in it in the future.

Which means, make our later round picks worth something. Either the player becomes a starter or contributor, or we get compensation through a compensatory pick. I know we can't do it on every player but let's have the highest success percentage in the league.

I don't like the idea of just saying, oh it is 5th round selection and kiss it good bye.

Hopefully you understand the perspective I am trying to put on this besides this is greatest thing and Carr is going to through for 5,000 yards, Reggie Bush is going to break ankles on screens, and so and so on.

Now, that is really it. If you don't get it now, either I am not explaining right or something else.

Either way, it really doesn't matter because I don't make any decisions except for pay for my season tickets.

Go Texans.

Looking forward to the 2006 season.

I don't understand your first point, last point, or any point in between. So, if I gather, you seem to think it's best to pick a totally unknown in the 5th round, develop him in hopes of then losing him as a RFA, so we can get a conpensatory 5th rd pick in a future draft? Your logic defies all sense, common or otherwise. You are making this WAY more difficult then it needs to be. You compare what quality of player you are trading for, to the LIKELY quality of player available in that spot in the draft. Forget about all your convoloted logic. If you can name me a player who is likely to go to 4 pro-bowls and nab him in the 5th round, let's hear it. Otherwise, you are so far out in left field, I can't even find you with binocoulars.

Ibar_Harry
04-04-2006, 09:57 PM
From the Chronicle and you will love this. Kind of sounds like me and what I have been saying. Oh, well. lets have some fun.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/3771517.html

The only thing I don't like is no confirmation by the Bills or Houston....

Once again, the deal is done. Read this and begin to salivate. He's also let the cat out of the bag. I would say from this article BUSH is it. Instead of nashing your teeth over a 5th or 6th or whatever, just realize this might be the biggest pickup in the Texans short history. Its the piece that may well fit all of the rest of the offense together. This is big. Enjoy what we are, not what we are not......

tsip
04-04-2006, 09:58 PM

I am not saying you guys are wrong or the deal is bad, just a take look from a different perspective.

For example on the Walters deal, yes we just got a possession WR with some potential upside that does good work on special teams for a 7th pick. Yes, that is good deal for us. But look at it from a different perspective, now Cincinnati has two 7th rounds picks to do the same thing again. Let's just say the later rounds are pot luck, which for the better teams I don't think they are, they have better chance of their 7th rounders becoming future contributing players. Furthermore, they are really getting to decide who they want to keep on their team. I know you can't do this with every later round pick but I want to focus on being the best in the league on this because that is value.

Here is an example on the Moulds thing. Let's say you are married with kids and moving across the country for a new job. You find the neighborhood you want to live and the house. You place the bid on the house but get outbid by someone who is just moving up in the neighborhood and doesn't need to move right away. You are living in an apartment and the wife and kids want a house pronto. Instead of waiting a few months and paying market, you pay a premium. The guy just living in the neighborhood trying to move up takes his time because there is no rush and won't pay the premium. These are in different positions and the first guys pays the premium because of his situation.

That is what I am talking about the 5th round pick we gave. It is a good deal considering the position we are in. But let's not be in it again, let's not kiss later round picks good bye.

Just take a different perspective to guage if the organization is making the right moves in the future.

...and what if another team snuck in the back door or the Bills kept Moulds--now, what will you get for that 5th round pick?...manuvering with draft picks is a way of life in the NFL and is not something that has a standard of being 'politically correct.'

swisher
04-04-2006, 10:02 PM
This is the kind of deal winning teams make.

Koolbrz
04-04-2006, 10:03 PM

We now have a quality recieving corps. Nothing like we had in the past. AJ can not be double teamed any more because there is another QUALITY reciever on the other side of the offense that they have to account for. We also picked up a quality possesion guy in Walters. I in all honesty do not believe we could have accomplished this through the draft without having to use our 2nd and one of our 3rd round picks. Even if we were lucky enough to pick up some quality rook's, do you want to wait another 2 maybe 3 yrs for them to develop. We can now focus on the o-line and defense with the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th rd picks. Dude! This team is begining to look really good on paper. A 5th and 7th for these two guys is a steal...IMO

hollywood_texan
04-04-2006, 10:03 PM
I don't understand your first point, last point, or any point in between. So, if I gather, you seem to think it's best to pick a totally unknown in the 5th round, develop him in hopes of then losing him as a RFA, so we can get a conpensatory 5th rd pick in a future draft? Your logic defies all sense, common or otherwise. You are making this WAY more difficult then it needs to be. You compare what quality of player you are trading for, to the LIKELY quality of player available in that spot in the draft. Forget about all your convoloted logic. If you can name me a player who is likely to go to 4 pro-bowls and nab him in the 5th round, let's hear it. Otherwise, you are so far out in left field, I can't even find you with binocoulars.

There are reports that either Philadelphia or New England were waiting in the wings to scoop him up with the fire sale when he was released.

I am just saying, I want our organization to be in the position to decide to or not make a move and not be pressed. Those guys weren't willing to give up draft picks and were willing to wait.

That is what I am talking about and hopefully you can see that with your binocoulars besides just singing the praises of this move.

By the way I like deal considering the position we are in with WRs. But, also Buffalo got a freebe. They maybe the real winners in this whole thing because they were about to get jack regardless.

swisher
04-04-2006, 10:04 PM
What happened to that guy who said the Bills held all the cards, that they didn't have to trade him for anything less than a third?

I guess I could read back a few dozens pages, but I have to get some sleep tonight.

By the way....100 pages and closing in on 2000 posts.

SAMURAITEXAN
04-04-2006, 10:06 PM
I wish I was in houston:crying: I better arrange some kind of business trip to houston this year!!:rolleyes: That's it a business trip. :hyper:

Ibar_Harry
04-04-2006, 10:08 PM
There are reports that either Philadelphia or New England were waiting in the wings to scoop him up with the fire sale when he was released.

I am just saying, I want our organization to be in the position to decide to or not make a move and not be pressed. Those guys weren't willing to give up draft picks and were willing to wait.

That is what I am talking about and hopefully you can see that with your binocoulars besides just singing the praises of this move.

By the way I like deal considering the position we are in with WRs. But, also Buffalo got a freebe. They maybe the real winners in this whole thing because they were about to get jack regardless.

This was McNair's way of comping Ralph Wilson if it makes you feel better.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2397070

Porky
04-04-2006, 10:09 PM

Dude you are whacked. I would kiss every 5th, 6th, and 7th round pick every single year, if we could replace them with proven pro-bowl players. You seem to think a 7th round pick is somehow valuable. I have news for you. They aren't. Do you even have a clue on the odds of a 7th rounder making a team, much less becoming a pro-bowler? Try looking it up. Good team or bad. The odds are terrible. Does it happen, sure, but it's as rare as a 70 degree day in August. Since you like analogies, try this one. Would you rather I give you $10,000 cash (the proven pro-bowl player) that you can put in your pocket now,or would you rather I buy you one lottery ticket for an extrememely slim chance to win 100 million? (the 5th rd pick we gave up) Now, if you honestly answer the lotto ticket, then let's just say I am glad you are posting on this board, and are not in charge of the Texans! :ok:

Big78
04-04-2006, 10:09 PM
100 PAGES!!! :grouphug: :club: :sbad: :penguin:

Big78
04-04-2006, 10:10 PM
just 14 more posts for an even 2000, comon people, we can do it.

Texizgreat
04-04-2006, 10:14 PM
From what i can tell by most reports is that the deal is "officially unofficial"

Reports from Moulds camp are yes. But neither team have officially posted info.

Mathis13
04-04-2006, 10:14 PM

Would you rather have Moulds or not? Philly or NE probaly couldv'e dished out more money to Moulds and we might not have gotten him. I agree fifth round pick is important but we are adding an instant impact player:redtowel:

hollywood_texan
04-04-2006, 10:16 PM
Dude you are whacked. I would kiss every 5th, 6th, and 7th round pick every single year, if we could replace them with proven pro-bowl players. You seem to think a 7th round pick is somehow valuable. I have news for you. They aren't. Do you even have a clue on the odds of a 7th rounder making a team, much less becoming a pro-bowler? Try looking it up. Good team or bad. The odds are terrible. Does it happen, sure, but it's as rare as a 70 degree day in August. Since you like analogies, try this one. Would you rather I give you $10,000 cash (the proven pro-bowl player) that you can put in your pocket now,or would you rather I buy you one lottery ticket for an extrememely slim chance to win 100 million? (the 5th rd pick we gave up) Now, if you honestly answer the lotto ticket, then let's just say I am glad you are posting on this board, and are not in charge of the Texans! :ok:

Maybe I really am in charge in some capacity.

Every other team was willing to wait for him to be released. My point is, I want to be one of those teams that has the luxury to wait for when a good deal presents itself.

We paid a little extra, which I am fine and it will probably make up for itself next year alone, but let's try get with the market than paying a premium.

I like your analogy, but we are the only one willing to trade a draft pick, which is my point. We paid a little above market.

Which, like I said is cool.

It's just a different perspective. Like another perspective, Buffalo got a freebe because we were in a jam. That got 5th rounder for nothing because they were going to release him anyway.

swtbound07
04-04-2006, 10:17 PM
taking this opportunity to pimp my blog, and up the post count. go texans!

Ibar_Harry
04-04-2006, 10:19 PM
From what i can tell by most reports is that the deal is "officially unofficial"

Reports from Moulds camp are yes. But neither team have officially posted info.

That's what the chronicle is saying if anybody would read. This seems to be a very strange deal. I still think Buffalo is dragging its feet. Everyone is saying yes, but who is saying NO. If I were to bet, I would say its Ralph Wilson based on a posting up a couple of notches. I would bet Wilson and McNair are not the best of friends because the recent agreement reached by the clubs.

Mathis13
04-04-2006, 10:19 PM
Every other team was willing to wait for him to be released. My point is, I want to be one of those teams that has the luxury to wait for when a good deal presents itself.

Every other team in the leauge is not in as bad as we were and can afford to lose out on one good player

hollywood_texan
04-04-2006, 10:21 PM
Would you rather have Moulds or not? Philly or NE probaly couldv'e dished out more money to Moulds and we might not have gotten him. I agree fifth round pick is important but we are adding an instant impact player:redtowel:

I AM COMPLETELY EXCITED ABOUT GETTING MOULDS!!!!!

It is just we paid a little above market, which is totally cool. That's all, and I just want some people to acknowledge that. Kind of like when Jules in Pulp Fiction wanted Vincent to acknowledge that God came down from Heaven and diverted those bullets. Okay, I am over doing it a bit.

One thing I really like about the Moulds acquisition and probably getting Bush is that there are no excuses on offense next year with Kubiak running the show.

However, I am more of the school to win championships starts between controlling the game between the tackles is most important and hot shot quarterbacks and flashy running backs are not that important.

Kind of like the Pittsburgh philosophy. They lost Buress last year and still won the Super Bowl.

texanfan2002114
04-04-2006, 10:24 PM
That's what the chronicle is saying if anybody would read. This seems to be a very strange deal. I still think Buffalo is dragging its feet. Everyone is saying yes, but who is saying NO. If I were to bet, I would say its Ralph Wilson based on a posting up a couple of notches. I would bet Wilson and McNair are not the best of friends because the recent agreement reached by the clubs.

According to www.nfl.com the deal is done. Its posted on their front page.

http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/HOU/9358042

Ibar_Harry
04-04-2006, 10:27 PM
According to www.nfl.com the deal is done. Its posted on their front page.

http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/HOU/9358042

If you read your own link to nfl.com, you will read and see what I'm taling about. Chronicle is reporting the same thing......

In fact it looks like the same report that is in the Chronicle.....

vtech9
04-04-2006, 10:27 PM
they just reported on the Southwest Sports Report on FSN that it was for a 5th round pick

TexanBacker93
04-04-2006, 10:28 PM

I don't think teams draft someone in the 5th, 6th, or 7th rounds with the thoughts that in a few years we can get a 5th, 6th, or 7th round pick out of the guy when he signs with another team. I think the successful teams find talent in those rounds that they keep and help them win. Broncos with Davis, Patriots with Brady.

swisher
04-04-2006, 10:29 PM

texanfan2002114
04-04-2006, 10:29 PM
If you read your own link to nfl.com, you will read and see what I'm taling about. Chronicle is reporting the same thing......

In fact it looks like the same report that is in the Chronicle.....

All I'm trying to say if the NFL has it on their site it would be safe to say the deal is done.

TexanExile
04-04-2006, 10:30 PM
I would kiss every 5th, 6th, and 7th round pick every single year, if we could replace them with proven pro-bowl players.

It's not a truly fair comparison (because it couldn't have happened), but would many people have screamed if the Texans have traded Gaffney and a 5th-rounder to some fictional team for a WR equal to Moulds? I would've been happy with that. And the net effect's pretty close to it. This guy is good and will be a steady hand among a young WR crew.

I honestly can't believe how well this front office is handling things right now. I'm very pleased.

Besides, that Gaffney's from a basketball school, anyway. :jk:

EDIT: By the way, news of the deal IS posted at buffalobills.com in their "Bills Clips Today" section (lower right). It just links to a whole list of other reporting on the deal, though.

Koolbrz
04-04-2006, 10:30 PM
All I'm trying to say if the NFL has it on their site it would be safe to say the deal is done.

I'm 2001:redtowel:

Koolbrz
04-04-2006, 10:31 PM
I'm 2001:redtowel:

oopppsss 2002:redtowel:

Ibar_Harry
04-04-2006, 10:31 PM

This is a very stangely worded statement. Something appears to be fishy. On one hand they are saying yes, but no one will confirm other than the agent. If you also read it it looks like the cat is out of the bag on Bush. This whole transaction has been pretty strange....

hollywood_texan
04-04-2006, 10:32 PM
I don't think teams draft someone in the 5th, 6th, or 7th rounds with the thoughts that in a few years we can get a 5th, 6th, or 7th round pick out of the guy when he signs with another team. I think the successful teams find talent in those rounds that they keep and help them win. Broncos with Davis, Patriots with Brady.

Yeah, it really doesn't matter. Either they stay with the team or they get a compensatory pick. Both ways are advantageous for the team and they get to make a choice.

Carr Bombed
04-04-2006, 10:33 PM
My point is, I want to be one of those teams that has the luxury to wait for when a good deal presents itself.

Umm....The only way to become "ONE OF THOSE TEAMS", is to make deals just like the one we made, because if you don't, you will constantly be mediocre and you will lose quality players to "ONE OF THOSE TEAMS" year in and year out.

The eagles and the Pats have the luxury of holding out for players, because they know quality players will hold out for them. If your the worst team in the league and you have the opportunity to acquire a extremely acomplished player for just a 5th pick, you jump on it and don't look back.

Also you keep saying we overpaid market price, my question is what exactly do you think is the "market price" on Eric Moulds.

TexanBacker93
04-04-2006, 10:33 PM

Well, Pittsburgh rarely signs FA and they usually let theirs go. They get extra picks and make very good use of them. Cowher has had 11 winning seasons out of 14 with Pittsburgh. He's been in the playoffs 10 times and won a Super Bowl. If you do a great job scouting and drafting you don't need to bring in high priced free agents.

Koolbrz
04-04-2006, 10:38 PM
Texans make it official. Watch channel 13 now!!!

Koolbrz
04-04-2006, 10:40 PM
6th rd pick is even better!!!

Carr Bombed
04-04-2006, 10:41 PM
Well, Pittsburgh rarely signs FA and they usually let theirs go. They get extra picks and make very good use of them. Cowher has had 11 winning seasons out of 14 with Pittsburgh. He's been in the playoffs 10 times and won a Super Bowl. If you do a great job scouting and drafting you don't need to bring in high priced free agents.

Cowher is able to do that, because basically his system has been in place for well over THIRTY YEARS. Steeler football hasn't changed in over 3 decades. If the Steelers were to hire a new coach with a new system to implement (like us) there would be a complete overhaul of the roster (like us).

Once we get Kubiak's system established and he has the players to run his system, we'll be able to draft to fill holes. Right now we're setting the foundation.

Go look at all the moves Parcells made when he took over Dallas

Go look at all the moves Gibbs made when he took over the redskins

4-3 defense - DE Weaver

OL transition- Oline Coach Sherman - Center Flanagan who has coached by sherman for nearly a decade.

Kubiak offense- pass catching TE- Putzier who played under Kubiak for multiple seasons and knows the system
WR- Moulds who is a veteran and will become what R. Smith was to Denver here in houston
FB- Cook- will become the pass catching FB that Kubiak had in Denver

This is strictly a transition period

SAMURAITEXAN
04-04-2006, 10:42 PM
Is it official now? I do not have channel 13 here in Tokyo.:crying:
Please confirm!:drool:

Errant Hothy
04-04-2006, 10:42 PM
6th rd pick is even better!!!

Whoa, whoa whao!

Are you saying that CH 13 is saying that it's a 6th and not even a 5th?

Koolbrz
04-04-2006, 10:43 PM
Whoa, whoa whao!

Sure am Bob Allen said it is more than likely buffalo will be getting a 6th not a 5th. Great news!!!

Koolbrz
04-04-2006, 10:44 PM
Is it official now? I do not have channel 13 here in Tokyo.:crying:
Please confirm!:drool:

Its official now...just waiting for NFL to approve deal.

mexican_texan
04-04-2006, 10:45 PM
Whoa, whoa whao!

Are you saying that this isn't butter?

So, do we take BPA for the rest of our picks?

2 CENTS
04-04-2006, 10:45 PM
I saw on the Crawler at the half of the Womens NCAA Basketball Championship that Moulds has been TRADED to the TEXANS (for an undisclosed DRAFT CHOICE)!!! I hope it's the 5th but even if it is a 4th he's worth it. We need a Respected WR opposite AJ to help free him up. Bush in the SLOT or Spread out wide and PUTZier "running a MUCK" in the middle of the field and any Defense is in a "whole heap (not Todd) of Trouble. Of course this all Depends on the O-LINE pulling up their Jock Straps and keeping Carr of his Butt.

hollywood_texan
04-04-2006, 10:46 PM
Umm....The only way to become "ONE OF THOSE TEAMS", is to make deals just like the one we made, because if you don't, you will constantly be mediocre and you will lose quality players to "ONE OF THOSE TEAMS" year in and year out.

The eagles and the Pats have the luxury of holding out for players, because they know quality players will hold out for them. If your the worst team in the league and you have the opportunity to acquire a extremely acomplished player for just a 5th pick, you jump on it and don't look back.

Also you keep saying we overpaid market price, my question is what exactly do you think is the "market price" on Eric Moulds.

There are two sides of the deal, the acquisition and the contract. With the contract, it looks like market $5 million bonus and I think $15 million total. I think that is comparable to Keyshawn's deal and Mould's is better.

My point is the draft pick. I think the 6th round would be my preference with our current situation, but there is still great opportunity for return on investment using our 5th round pick. Buffalo is going to have to cut this guy and everyone knows it.

But, if no one else is willing to put a draft pick, I would rather not do that. Also, I think Houston shouldn't be selling itself short. There is new coaching, great owner, no state income, more than reasonable housing prices, great fans, and awesome facilities.

I would like to take the approach some day, and if that doesn't sell itself we just move on and let them walk.

We are not there yet but that is where I would like to be.

I just thing there is a price to this whole thing and we need to understand and not do it again.

texan279
04-04-2006, 10:47 PM
Sirius radio reported earlier we traded our 5th round pick for Moulds...

TexanBacker93
04-04-2006, 10:49 PM
Cowher is able to do that, because basically his system has been in place for well over THIRTY YEARS. Steeler football hasn't changed in over 3 decades. If the Steelers were to hire a new coach with a new system to implement (like us) there would be a complete overhaul of the roster (like us).

Once we get Kubiak's system established and he has the players to run his system, we'll be able to draft to fill holes. Right now we're setting the foundation.

I agree. I just think that right now the Texans are in a position where they are going to have to pay a little more to get a guy or even trade for someone. They don't have the same quality of players that leave, but it will change and the Texans will become a model of consistency. The good kind I mean.

Koolbrz
04-04-2006, 10:49 PM
Sirius radio reported earlier we traded our 5th round pick for Moulds...

Well, i just heard it was a 6th. Who knows!!! Who cares!!! Moulds is a Texan!!!
All good with me...:yahoo:

SAMURAITEXAN
04-04-2006, 10:53 PM
Thanks for info Koolbrz!!:redtowel:

Moulds for a 5th or 6th?:confused:

Koolbrz
04-04-2006, 10:56 PM
Thanks for info Koolbrz!!:redtowel:

Moulds for a 5th or 6th?:confused:

LOL...Bob Allen is pretty good with his facts IMO. If he says it was a 6th..it was a 6th. Not bad, huh? Everyone just keeps saying it was a 5th. Can't argue with them all about it. Just go with the flow.

SAMURAITEXAN
04-04-2006, 10:57 PM
For a 6th!!! wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww:piano: :yahoo: :ok:

TEXANS84
04-04-2006, 10:58 PM
Sure am Bob Allen said it is more than likely buffalo will be getting a 6th not a 5th. Great news!!!Giff Nielson on KHOU reported it was a 5th.

kiwitexansfan
04-04-2006, 10:59 PM
Who is Bob Allen???

I am in New Zealand so don't really know media types....

Koolbrz
04-04-2006, 11:00 PM
Giff Nielson on KHOU reported it was a 5th.

Like i said...i just go with the flow. I bet it was a 6th!

Carr Bombed
Giff Nielson on KHOU reported it was a 5th.

I've been out of Houston for about 2 years, but if thats the CBS guy I'll take his opinion over Bob.

Koolbrz
Who is Bob Allen???

I am in New Zealand so don't really know media types....

Sports dude on channel 13

jacquescas
04-04-2006, 11:03 PM
5th or 6th its all good but i'd rather it a 6th

Koolbrz
I've been out of Houston for about 2 years, but if thats the CBS guy I'll take his opinion over Bob.

Let me see...Bob has been around for a very long time. I would take his word over any of the other guys. He is pretty accurate.

keyfro
everyone is saying it was for a 5th round pick...6th round pick would be a little silly

Carr Bombed
04-04-2006, 11:04 PM
Funny story about Bob Allen though about 10 years ago he was walking around the Strawberry festival (Local Cook off site) and he stopped at our tent and got drunk with us. I can't go into details, because what happens at the cook off stays at the cook off, but man that guy was a babe magnet back then. He's a cool guy to hang out with.

mexican_texan
04-04-2006, 11:04 PM
Ralph Wilson is so old that we probably would have been able to trade an 8th-round pick for Moulds. But he didn't have enough time to read the proposition.

TEXANS84
04-04-2006, 11:06 PM
Moulds said he met with Texans receiver Andre Johnson, and he believes he can both complement and tutor the emerging star. He's also excited about the possibility of Houston bolstering its offense by selecting USC running back and Heisman Trophy winner Reggie Bush with the No. 1 pick in this month's draft.

"I would tell them to get their tickets ready. You are going to see a show," Moulds said, when asked what message he had for Texans fans. "It's not going to be the same Texans you've seen before. It's going to be an exciting time."

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5450010

Koolbrz
04-04-2006, 11:06 PM
everyone is saying it was for a 5th round pick...6th round pick would be a little silly

A 6th rd pick is still better than nothing. Maybe CC showed some testicular fortitude and pulled out the deal for a 6th. I could be wrong but you never know.

Carr Bombed
04-04-2006, 11:07 PM
Let me see...Bob has been around for a very long time. I would take his word over any of the other guys. He is pretty accurate.

Whoa, I might have gotten the wrong dude, whos the guy with the grey hair, I can't remember all their names, so just start namming them off. Come to think off it I think the guy I'm talking about has the last name of Nelson or something

Errant Hothy
04-04-2006, 11:07 PM
5th - 6th which ever it still equals a good deal. But a 6th would be getting into fleecing terriotry.

SAMURAITEXAN
04-04-2006, 11:08 PM
Bob Allen channel 13 sports
Gifford Nielson Ex QB for the Oilers channel 11

Get it KIWITEXANFAN?

Koolbrz
04-04-2006, 11:15 PM
Whoa, I might have gotten the wrong dude, whos the guy with the grey hair, I can't remember all their names, so just start namming them off. Come to think off it I think the guy I'm talking about has the last name of Nelso or something

Bob A. has salt/pepper hair. We might be talkin about the same guy. Nelson
i don't trust. Thats the channel 11 dude.

TEXANS84
04-04-2006, 11:19 PM
Bob Allen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ia7TM3fZwZs&search=reggie%20bush

hot pickle
04-04-2006, 11:33 PM
is reggie pretty much a lock for are pick?

cause i got this friend in cali and he said the texans arent gonna draft him, and i think he's an idiot for thinkin that

O.G.
04-04-2006, 11:53 PM
is reggie pretty much a lock for are pick?

cause i got this friend in cali and he said the texans arent gonna draft him, and i think he's an idiot for thinkin that

I second your statement, lol

Koolbrz
04-05-2006, 12:07 AM
Not being mean but he probably is.JK
Me, I would say lock, there really is no trade I would even consider. Unless it was just stupid good, but nothing average.
My gut tells me that Kubiak likes him a whole lot. But that is just my opinion:cool:

He is a lock to be picked #1. He has been looking for a home here in Houston and that pretty much says it all. Check out Texans84 (link). It says it all.

hot pickle
04-05-2006, 12:12 AM
yah i saw the video
just wanted to see what yall said, cause alot of yall know more then i do, so thanks, im gonna make a bet with him,lol

infantrycak
04-05-2006, 12:19 AM
It is just we paid a little above market, which is totally cool.

Part of the problem is you have an arbitrary fictional definition of market. The purchase price for anything is almost always (always where economics rather than outside influences dictate) the highest offer. That is not the same thing as saying every buyer pays above market. Your argument just doesn't fly as a definition of market value to say well someone was willing to pay less so that must have been market and the Texans paid over market.

On your main point (I think) about mature/good teams getting picks for their players IMO you are correct. Cinncy got a pick for Walter because their depth was great and they showed him enough to impress people at least to a 7th--guaranteed he would be a Bengel right now if he had received a mid level tender. Ragone & Peek this year and Gaffney last year might have received some compensation if the Texans had done a better job coaching/showcasing them. Gaff's numbers weren't astronomically different than Givens and yet Givens is trying to figure out how to carry all his new bling and Gaff is on a one year contract with no signing bonus. Maybe if the Texans had worked on his routes more, run plays designed with him as the 1st read more, etc. teams would have had more interest. Maybe if Ragone had come in when games were out of control someone would be offering up a 3rd for him, etc. We let a 31 year old DB walk with no compensation because he asked to be released 2 days earlier vs. shopping Moulds for something. Not shocking the Texans haven't done the best job on their own behalf previously--doesn't mean they overpaid on Moulds.

texanfan2002114
04-05-2006, 12:54 AM
Bob Allen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ia7TM3fZwZs&search=reggie%20bush

Great link!!! I missed that when its was aired, so that was great!! Thanks Dante!!

done88
04-05-2006, 01:02 AM
Texans Secure Deal with Eric Moulds

The Houston Texans were successful in making a deal that is satisfactory to both Eric Moulds and his former team, the Buffalo Bills. It was speculated last week that the Texans were very close to making a deal with Moulds, but still had work to do with the Bills. In return for Moulds, the Texans are giving Buffalo the first pick in the fifth round in the upcoming draft (134th pick overall).

Moulds (6-2, 210) was given a 4 year contract worth $14 million dollars, plus a $5 million dollar signing bonus.

During his 10 years with the Buffalo Bills, Moulds has marked over 9,000 yards and 48 touchdowns. He will be a veteran the Texans will look at to help teach and mold the teams young receivers.

http://texans.scout.com/2/516831.html

hollywood_texan
04-05-2006, 01:17 AM
Part of the problem is you have an arbitrary fictional definition of market. The purchase price for anything is almost always (always where economics rather than outside influences dictate) the highest offer. That is not the same thing as saying every buyer pays above market. Your argument just doesn't fly as a definition of market value to say well someone was willing to pay less so that must have been market and the Texans paid over market.

On your main point (I think) about mature/good teams getting picks for their players IMO you are correct. Cinncy got a pick for Walter because their depth was great and they showed him enough to impress people at least to a 7th--guaranteed he would be a Bengel right now if he had received a mid level tender. Ragone & Peek this year and Gaffney last year might have received some compensation if the Texans had done a better job coaching/showcasing them. Gaff's numbers weren't astronomically different than Givens and yet Givens is trying to figure out how to carry all his new bling and Gaff is on a one year contract with no signing bonus. Maybe if the Texans had worked on his routes more, run plays designed with him as the 1st read more, etc. teams would have had more interest. Maybe if Ragone had come in when games were out of control someone would be offering up a 3rd for him, etc. We let a 31 year old DB walk with no compensation because he asked to be released 2 days earlier vs. shopping Moulds for something. Not shocking the Texans haven't done the best job on their own behalf previously--doesn't mean they overpaid on Moulds.

My point is Buffalo is getting a free pick because is seems clear no one else is willing to part with a draft pick for Moulds. We have the first pick in the 5th round, which is something like a late 4th, at least that is how you can sell it, or not sell as it were.

If no one is offering a draft pick, why not push for our sixth instead? I think that is our last pick available and gets the deal done and they get a freebe.

Of course you have to overpay at some point if you are going to get a deal done like this, you have to be a higher bidder at some point. But how much you are the high bidder is what is important. Or, how much money are you leaving on the table. I think we are leaving money on the table.

But why not the sixth? If someone else offers their 5th round pick, we offer ours because we have them beat.

Further, if Buffalo doesn't want Moulds to go to New England, then it is even more reason to hold firm on the sixth round pick.

I think this is excellent opportunity to nickel and dime a deal. Plus if there is a guy out there they think they get in the 5th they really with some good value, you gotta push for it.

infantrycak
04-05-2006, 01:26 AM
My point is Buffalo is getting a free pick because is seems clear no one else is willing to part with a draft pick for Moulds.

How does that seem clear other than to make the point? There were several reports about the Texans offering a 5th and the Eagles offering a 6th. That is simple bidding. Do you have any source affirmatively stating no other team was willing to offer any pick for Moulds?

Plus you are still missing the point on market value. No you do not have to overpay to get a deal done. When you get the deal done it sets the market value or becomes part of the market value equation. There isn't some neon sign out displaying a "market value" for Moulds which the Texans just chose to ignore.

hollywood_texan
04-05-2006, 01:35 AM
How does that seem clear other than to make the point? There were several reports about the Texans offering a 5th and the Eagles offering a 6th. That is simple bidding. Do you have any source affirmatively stating no other team was willing to offer any pick for Moulds?

Plus you are still missing the point on market value. No you do not have to overpay to get a deal done. When you get the deal done it sets the market value or becomes part of the market value equation. There isn't some neon sign out displaying a "market value" for Moulds which the Texans just chose to ignore.

Everything I have read on Philadelphia was that there was no firm offer. If there was, then my point is moot.

If Philadelphia did make a firm offer on their 6th, we have the first pick in the 6th as I understand it, therefore, why not just offer our 6th then?

I am tired of overpaying on these trades.

kiwitexansfan
04-05-2006, 02:20 AM
Texans Secure Deal with Eric Moulds

The Houston Texans were successful in making a deal that is satisfactory to both Eric Moulds and his former team, the Buffalo Bills. It was speculated last week that the Texans were very close to making a deal with Moulds, but still had work to do with the Bills. In return for Moulds, the Texans are giving Buffalo the first pick in the fifth round in the upcoming draft (134th pick overall).

Moulds (6-2, 210) was given a 4 year contract worth $14 million dollars, plus a $5 million dollar signing bonus.

During his 10 years with the Buffalo Bills, Moulds has marked over 9,000 yards and 48 touchdowns. He will be a veteran the Texans will look at to help teach and mold the teams young receivers.

http://texans.scout.com/2/516831.html

Would this be considered a reliable sourve for the draft pick compensation??

Or are we still debating the 5th/6th issue?

kiwitexansfan
04-05-2006, 02:25 AM
Not sure if people have posted this already

Bills | Team acquires 2006 fifth-round pick for Moulds
Tue, 4 Apr 2006 23:11:20 -0700

Megan Manfull, of the Houston Chronicle, reports the Houston Texans traded a fifth-round pick in the 2006 NFL Draft to the Buffalo Bills in exchange for WR Eric Moulds.

Texans | Team trades 2006 fifth-round pick for Moulds
Tue, 4 Apr 2006 23:10:06 -0700

Megan Manfull, of the Houston Chronicle, reports the Houston Texans traded a fifth-round pick in the 2006 NFL Draft to the Buffalo Bills in exchange for WR Eric Moulds.

From www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl

04-05-2006, 08:09 AM
Everything I have read on Philadelphia was that there was no firm offer. If there was, then my point is moot.

If Philadelphia did make a firm offer on their 6th, we have the first pick in the 6th as I understand it, therefore, why not just offer our 6th then?

Stop crying. I'd consider a 5th round pick for a reciever of his caliber a steal.

powerfuldragon
04-05-2006, 08:17 AM
Stop crying. I'd consider a 5th round pick for a reciever of his caliber a steal.

I agree.

Porky
04-05-2006, 08:24 AM

Quit your whining. A 5th rounder for a player of Moulds caliber isn't overpaying. It's a steal. The Bills had little leverage in the deal. Sometimes trades come down to leverage. In this case, the Bills had little of it. If they did, it would have probably taken one of our 3rds to acquire him. Instead of whining about how we over paid, you should be happy the Texans had more leverage than they did, allowing us to pay a 5th, which is theft. CC should be thrown in jail for grand theft player. So, what you are saying is that Eric Moulds is not worth Vontez Duff? Come again??:ok:

jacquescas
04-05-2006, 08:55 AM
Quit your whining. A 5th rounder for a player of Moulds caliber isn't overpaying. It's a steal. The Bills had little leverage in the deal. Sometimes trades come down to leverage. In this case, the Bills had little of it. If they did, it would have probably taken one of our 3rds to acquire him. Instead of whining about how we over paid, you should be happy the Texans had more leverage than they did, allowing us to pay a 5th, which is theft. CC should be thrown in jail for grand theft player. So, what you are saying is that Eric Moulds is not worth Vontez Duff? Come again??:ok:

Vontez Duff is the greatest football player ever, i heard he tackled Vince Young from behind and in front at the same time

Texans34Life
04-05-2006, 09:01 AM
http://buffalonews.com/editorial/20060405/1040720.asp

Moulds starts new chapter with trade to Texans
By ALLEN WILSON
News Sports Reporter
4/5/2006

Eric Moulds gets a 4-year, $14 million contract.

Former Buffalo Bills wide receiver Eric Moulds hopes his trade to the Houston Texans will give his career a fresh start, and offer more stability than he has experienced during most of his 10 years in the NFL.

"I'm very excited," Moulds said Tuesday from Houston, where he agreed in principle to a four-year, $14 million contract after the Texans and Bills worked out a trade for the veteran wideout. "I'm looking forward to this new challenge."

Moulds' agent, Harry Henderson, said the deal would likely be finalized in the next couple of days. An official announcement will be made on Monday, Henderson said.

According to a source in Houston, the Bills will receive the Texans' fifth-round pick (134th overall) in this month's draft in exchange for Moulds. It is believed Buffalo was seeking a fourth-round selection.

This move had been expected since Moulds refused the Bills' request to take a pay cut. He was due $7.1 million next season and would have counted $10.8 million against the salary cap. Moulds got permission to seek a trade, and his representatives spoke to several teams. He ultimately chose the Texans instead of the Philadelphia Eagles, who weren't willing to match Houston's contract offer, which includes a $5 million signing bonus.

So the Eagles offered something cheaper than the 4-yr/$14 mil w/ $5 mil signing bonus that we offered? :confused:

TheOgre
04-05-2006, 09:17 AM
Cool the 5th rounder. I am glad we held onto the first pick on the second day of the draft.

Bearfan Blue and Orange
04-05-2006, 09:21 AM
Now that Moulds is here...

Do we have to talk about Bush and Young???

Señor Stan
04-05-2006, 09:21 AM
Vontez Duff?

mmmm Duff :homer:

Iroquois Joe
04-05-2006, 09:53 AM
I've been checking out your rivals message boards in the AFC South.
Titans Colts, Jags.....they all seem pretty happy for you for getting a good deal with Moulds, and are looking forward to better games competition wise.

You have a class division. He was a steal for a 5th most say.

Have to see when we play each other in Houston, Schedules out tomorrow.

draz54
04-05-2006, 12:18 PM
Can any of you Texan fans tell me what number comes next?

20.4, 15.3, 14.1, 13.4, 12.9, 12.2, 11.9, 10.1... ????

These are EMo's yards per catch over the last 8 consecutive years.

Hope you enjoy seeing bus tire marks on the chest of Carr.

Thanks for the draft pick... Shoulda waited until he was released... Woulda cost less to sign him then. :stirpot:

Texizgreat
04-05-2006, 12:35 PM

Thanks for the draft pick... Shoulda waited until he was released... Woulda cost less to sign him then. :stirpot:

And now you get none of them........

Kaiser Toro
04-05-2006, 12:42 PM

Oh we are aware of the numbers and thankful to have him as our #2. We are also quite aware of your QB situation and how fragile your two top offensive skill players are with past knee injuries as well as your top LB recovering from an achilles injury.

Let's face it he did not want to be there, nor are other FA's chomping at the bit to play in Western NY for Dick Jauron.

Be thankful, rather than spiteful that you got something in return, cap and a pick to help with your major rebuilding project.

ensign_lee
04-05-2006, 12:54 PM

10.1 ypc...

That's what...a first down every time? To be fair, he had to learn a bazillion different systems and catch from a bazillion different QBs, and he's getting a little older.

I'll take that. :yahoo:

the wonger need food
04-05-2006, 01:00 PM

Oh, the bitterness...

Dunta_23
04-05-2006, 01:04 PM

Its a shame that he didnt get to catch passes from Mr. Nall this season...Im sure his YPC would jump into the mid 30's...

el toro
04-05-2006, 01:08 PM

...and it would've been quite less likely that he'd be a Texan right now. We only need him to be a #2, and that's with Bush lining up in the slot at least 5 to 7 times per contest.

MikeMc
04-05-2006, 01:13 PM
Well, sequence problems....I love them!!!

SO here is the breakdown:

20.4 - 15.3 = 5.1
15.3 - 14.1 = 1.2
14.1 - 13.4 = 0.7
13.4 - 12.9 = 0.5
12.9 - 12.2 = 0.7
12.2 - 11.9 = 0.3
11.9 - 10.1 = 1.8

It's like a bell curve with a dip.....therefore, after my analysis..... 15.1 ypc (up 5.0 from 2005)!

Kaiser Toro
04-05-2006, 01:15 PM
Well, sequence problems....I love them!!!

SO here is the breakdown:

20.4 - 15.3 = 5.1
15.3 - 14.1 = 1.2
14.1 - 13.4 = 0.7
13.4 - 12.9 = 0.5
12.9 - 12.2 = 0.7
12.2 - 11.9 = 0.3
11.9 - 10.1 = 1.8

It's like a bell curve with a dip.....therefore, after my analysis..... 15.1 ypc (up 5.0 from 2005)!

Don't mess with a Texan's fuzzy math. :)

Dunta_23
04-05-2006, 01:20 PM
They should have let someone else have Moulds. Only four 1,000 yard seasons in 10 years ? ? Marginal at best and not much of a threat to make plays when he does touch the ball. That money could be better spent elsewhere....O-LINE....O-LINE....O-LINE ! ! !

:brickwall

We have a few "big play" threats at WR, we need a SOLID # 2 veteran to mentor the young guys and be consistant...his main role is to take coverage away from AJ and make the plays given to him..not to steal the show...

Lucky
04-05-2006, 01:25 PM
If no one is offering a draft pick, why not push for our sixth instead?
Relax. After they make their 6th round pick, Casserly will say "Hey, this is the guy we would have taken in the 5th round. Okay. So, it's like this...we really only traded the Bills a 6th rounder, because the guy we took in the 6th round would have been the guy we took in the 5th round. Ya see?"

I promise this will happen.

el toro
04-05-2006, 01:26 PM
They should have let someone else have Moulds. Only four 1,000 yard seasons in 10 years ? ? Marginal at best and not much of a threat to make plays when he does touch the ball. That money could be better spent elsewhere....O-LINE....O-LINE....O-LINE ! ! !

Man, some people are never happy.

OK, I'll play along, how exactly were they supposed to use that money to spend on linemen? Which free agents, in particular?

Blake
04-05-2006, 01:28 PM

Resigned McKinney to LG, Weary is back, and got Flanigan to play C. Also Putzier at TE. I bet they take a lineman in rd 2.

What more do you want? Orlando Pace?

CoastalTexan
04-05-2006, 01:51 PM
Anyone think Wand will retake his position at LT or a new one at RT? It's been said over and over that he is fast and an excellent run blocker. I think he might excel at RT if taught by Sherman or whoever does that. Then we could draft a LT to compete with pitts/sit out first year and learn. Can Mckinny play RG?

Big78
04-05-2006, 01:54 PM
I've been checking out your rivals message boards in the AFC South.
Titans Colts, Jags.....they all seem pretty happy for you for getting a good deal with Moulds, and are looking forward to better games competition wise.

You have a class division. He was a steal for a 5th most say.

Have to see when we play each other in Houston, Schedules out tomorrow.

Its kinda weird, how often do we on this forum talk about how other teams, especially our rivals, are doing in post season with their signings and moves, yet they aparently are talking avout us. And that they are "looking foreward to better competition", whats up with that? We'll give them some competition......... when it comes time to figure out who's going to the playoffs!!! :respect: :fans:

Bearfan Blue and Orange
04-05-2006, 02:04 PM
Resigned McKinney to LG, Weary is back, and got Flanigan to play C. Also Putzier at TE. I bet they take a lineman in rd 2.

What more do you want? Orlando Pace?

No I want Winston Justice

TexasAggie
04-05-2006, 02:11 PM
meShawn Johnson said that Cris Carter told him that Randy Moss gave him a new life as a reciever. AJ will give E Moulds a new life in Houston as well as AJ getting a new life with Eric.

If it does not happen then we can speculate then on the deal, but as of right now (no injuries) it looks like a great deal to me.

If Davud Carr doesn't improve this year then I will join the bandwagon to get a replacement. But I think this year will show the potential that has always been there.:drool: :twocents:

CoastalTexan
04-05-2006, 02:22 PM
Justice will go in the first round.

HomeBred_Texan
04-05-2006, 02:30 PM
Well since this OFFICIALLY a done deal....

Does anyone know for sure what we had to give up in trade for Eric? Was it a 4th or 5th?

el toro
04-05-2006, 02:31 PM
Well since this OFFICIALLY a done deal....

Does anyone know for sure what we had to give up in trade for Eric? Was it a 4th or 5th?

All reports are the 5th.

HomeBred_Texan
04-05-2006, 02:32 PM
All reports are the 5th.
I read fox news and it said term of the deal we not disclosed. But it was either a 4th or 5th. I sure hope we didnt give up our 4th rounder...

el toro
04-05-2006, 02:50 PM
Earlier speculation was that it was a 4th. But everything thereafter says it's a 5th.

MikeMc
04-05-2006, 02:53 PM
Hmmm, his best years were when they had a solid QB. The past 1/2 dozen have been with a Run First, defensive minded coach and a rookie QB that proved to not be prepared for the NFL.

Now he is with a solid coaching staff that focuses on Offense. I wonder if Kubiak will utilize him more than just having him block downfield!

TheOgre
04-05-2006, 03:14 PM
Moulds himself said it best. He said something like "I needed a fresh start." I don't think many of us could have endured 9 starting QB's in 10 years with an assortment of coaches and schemes. He is looking for a more stable environment. Perhaps he will get it here.

MikeMc
04-05-2006, 03:19 PM
BINGO! Having to learn a new scheme every 3 years and having to get on page with a new QB every 20 games can ruin a player.

Meloy
04-05-2006, 03:58 PM

What more do you want? Orlando Pace? Give me a b. Give me an o. Give me a Boselli! Uh, maybe not.:homer:

Meloy
04-05-2006, 04:02 PM
Anyone seen a 40 time on this "old guy"? I like the deal but it seems speed would be a factor.

TopTexanFan16
04-05-2006, 04:04 PM
dont know nif its been posted yet but if the trade is official then why hasnt it been put up on the texans website?

el toro
04-05-2006, 04:05 PM
dont know nif its been posted yet but if the trade is official then why hasnt it been put up on the texans website?

Waiting for a press conference to announce it?

Porky
04-05-2006, 04:08 PM

The league office still has to approve it, which is a formaility. It's definately a 5th rounder. It may be as late as next monday before it's official. Then you will see it on the Texans website.

done88
04-05-2006, 04:37 PM

The Reggie Bush pick is offical but its not on the Texans website. Somethings have politics to go through but that does not change the fact that the decions have already been made.

Oilers/Texans
04-05-2006, 05:13 PM
I read fox news and it said term of the deal we not disclosed. But it was either a 4th or 5th. I sure hope we didnt give up our 4th rounder...

Fourth rounder or fifth rounder, what difference does it really make? This deal is worth either one or even both.

Yossarian
04-05-2006, 06:08 PM
Fourth rounder or fifth rounder, what difference does it really make? This deal is worth either one or even both.

Our fourth pick is the first overall pick of the second day. It's a very valuable pick. You get a day to decide who to draft instead of a few minutes and there are always great players who unexpectedly slip through the cracks.

texansfan1974
04-05-2006, 06:09 PM

hollywood_texan
04-05-2006, 06:19 PM
Our fourth pick is the first overall pick of the second day. It's a very valuable pick. You get a day to decide who to draft instead of a few minutes and there are always great players who unexpectedly slip through the cracks.

Yeah, but you don't understand, we get Moulds and he is an All-Pro, it's more than worth it.

Actually, we are getting a steal from Buffalo.

run-david-run
04-05-2006, 06:21 PM
Umm, its a 5th round pick we are giving up, all this talk about the 4th pick can just dissapear...

hollywood_texan
04-05-2006, 06:33 PM
Umm, its a 5th round pick we are giving up, all this talk about the 4th pick can just dissapear...

Remember when we did the Buchanon deal last year?

I believe it was for our 2nd and 3rd round picks. As Casserly pointed out at that time, we really only gave up a 2nd round pick because a 3rd pick is not likely to start on your team. We got a starter in Buchanon due to the trade.

If we really don't need our 3rd round pick, then we don't really need are 4th or 5th round picks or really anything after that.

Besides, we are getting an All-Pro and a steal from Buffalo because there were other teams willing to pay similiar value. Don't forget we are going to have Reggie Bush and David Carr is going to throw for 5,000 yards next year.

4th or 5th or even both is a great deal for us.

TexanFan881
04-05-2006, 06:40 PM
It is a 5th, but even if it ended up being a 4th I would still be extremely happy. We just got a pro-bowl WR :yahoo:

el toro
04-05-2006, 06:40 PM
They will have 5 picks in the top 4 rounds and those picks will be at the start of each round. Otherwise they turned a 5th and 7th into a starting #2 WR and a #3 WR...and they still have their 6th and a compensatory 7th to go sleeper shopping at the end of the draft. I really like what they did with turning those later round picks into vets and giving the team a receiving corps. They still have those five picks in the top 100 to really fill this team's talent out some. We might look back at this draft with awe, not solely because of Bush, but because of the four other guys they take in the first 4 rounds.

MorKnolle
04-05-2006, 07:22 PM
They will have 5 picks in the top 4 rounds and those picks will be at the start of each round. Otherwise they turned a 5th and 7th into a starting #2 WR and a #3 WR...and they still have their 6th and a compensatory 7th to go sleeper shopping at the end of the draft. I really like what they did with turning those later round picks into vets and giving the team a receiving corps. They still have those five picks in the top 100 to really fill this team's talent out some. We might look back at this draft with awe, not solely because of Bush, but because of the four other guys they take in the first 4 rounds.

The middle rounds is what usually make or break a team's draft and show the true ability of the scouting/personnel staff. It is relatively easy to pick out the top 32 players in the draft and decide who you want in the 1st round, it is those later rounds that take a lot more skill to appropriately scout ahead of time and pick out the best players that fit your team. Hopefully this staff will do better than the previous one (same GM/scouting staff as before, but a different coaching staff and system, so we can hope for better, plus the middle rounds were probably the best picks our team has made, when we've retained those picks and not traded them off that is).

pv1999
04-05-2006, 07:50 PM
As Long As We Beat The Boys! I Am Fine.