PDA

View Full Version : Where are all of the people complaining about FA?

Hardcore Texan
03-24-2006, 05:09 PM
To all the people who were slamming the new coaching staff about not being active enough in FA, I would like to hear how you think we are doing now.

I think we are doing great in this offseason, I think Kubiak is making alot of good moves at getting this team off to a great start. There were alot of us that have been saying, just have faith in the new staff and be patient.

It certainly looks like good things are happening, we have signed some quality players, and we still have the draft.

So let's hear it from all the people who were ready for "Another Dismal Season", I want to know how you feel now. Starting to get hungry for some Fried Crow and a side of Humble Pie perhaps?

You gotta admit, things are looking good! :yahoo:

Runner
03-24-2006, 05:15 PM
So let's hear it from all the people who were ready for "Another Dismal Season", I want to know how you feel now. Starting to get hungry for some Fried Crow and a side of Humble Pie perhaps?

You may have misunderstood. As I recall, they were predicitng another "dismall" season. Until I know what dismall means, I'm not going to comment.

tsip
03-24-2006, 05:21 PM
To all the people who were slamming the new coaching staff about not being active enough in FA, I would like to hear how you think we are doing now.

I think we are doing great in this offseason, I think Kubiak is making alot of good moves at getting this team off to a great start. There were alot of us that have been saying, just have faith in the new staff and be patient.

It certainly looks like good things are happening, we have signed some quality players, and we still have the draft.

I think those folks will respond about the same time all the :homer: 's admit they were wrong about last year, so don't hold your breath.

MorKnolle
03-24-2006, 05:23 PM
I'm not a huge fan of some of the moves they've made (as much for the salary they've paid the players as much as the player selection itself) and my personal strategy in free agency would have been a little different, but overall I've seen some moves that appear to be productive and I will trust that the coaches are getting guys that they think will fit their system the best and until I am given sufficient reason to doubt them (as we were given plenty of with the former regime) I will maintain my trust/hope in their ways.

Vinny
03-24-2006, 05:27 PM
I'm pretty much with Mork on this. We signed a few role players and this week really helps shore up some massive roster holes, but you can only do so much in one off season. Guys like Putzier, Walters and Cowart are role players. Good signings since we had holes, but they are certainly upgradeable if the right players are available when our picks come up. I'm still scratching my head over Weaver and Rosenfels.

Hardcore Texan
03-24-2006, 05:32 PM
I'm pretty much with Mork on this. We signed a few role players and this week really helps shore up some massive roster holes, but you can only do so much in one off season. Guys like Putzier, Walters and Cowart are role players. Good signings since we had holes, but they are certainly upgradeable if the right players are available when our picks come up. I'm still scratching my head over Weaver and Rosenfels.

I have got a feeling Weaver is going to have a very productive year. Flanigan and Putzier are great signings IMO.

I think Kevin Walter will turn out to be a good choice as well, he's probably itching to show what he can do after being on deep WR corps like Cinci's.

Rosenfels, well I guess Kubiak sees something in him, hopefully can develope into a quality back up. Kubiak's track record in this arena is encouraging.

I see Cowart as a formentioned role player, a nice addition to LB.

hollywood_texan
03-24-2006, 05:34 PM
We are not going to know anything until the middle of next season. We need to get some good quality wins and at least win three games in a row (still hasn't been accomplished by the Texans).

As mentioned by Vinny, you can only do so much in one offseason and I am sure Kubiak has more of a three year horizon of being playoff competitive given current state of the team. Maybe two years if the coaching is completely outstanding and few injuries.

It looks good what they are doing the right thing but you better be ready for a long-haul of two to three years. That's the reasonable expectation.

TheOgre
03-24-2006, 05:35 PM
I'm still scratching my head over Weaver and Rosenfels.

Rosenfels for sure was a curious addition. I think we overpaid a bit for Weaver, but I like him. He will play every down, is good against the run, and has enough pass-rush skills to merit having him in on 3rd downs (granted as a DT and not a DE). Next year we can spend our 1st rounder on a DE, we can cut Payne, and we will have Weaver able to rotate between LDE, and the two DT positions.

el toro
03-24-2006, 05:38 PM
We are not going to know anything until the middle of next season. We need to get some good quality wins and at least win three games in a row (still hasn't been accomplished by the Texans).

As mentioned by Vinny, you can only do so much in one offseason and I am sure Kubiak has more of a three year horizon of being playoff competitive given current state of the team. Maybe two years if the coaching is completely outstanding and few injuries.

It looks good what they are doing the right thing but you better be ready for a long-haul of two to three years. That's the reasonable expectation.

Indeed. Two to three seasons to implement his system, for the players to grasp it, for drafts and free agency to find players who fit it, etc...It's good to have direction, especially from a guy who knows what it takes to win.

Bearfan Blue and Orange
03-24-2006, 05:39 PM

People are not going to like this, but when it happens... you will.

They are not going to take Reggie nor Young. They will trade down picking up a lower pick and I am guessing a 2nd round or 3rd round. I believe they will then take Stud OT Brickshaw or Winston Justice or if lower mario Williams or Jimmy Williams in the first round.

They will then address another CB and LB position with the 2nd round and maybe a WR with the pick they got in the trade down.

personally I believe you add a Bush or Young when you are 1 or 2 pieces away from winning a superbowl. Right now I have to believe Kube wants to solidify mostly Offense (being that he is an offensive minded coach) and also strengthen the defense to ba a top 15-20 would be reputable and with that you can make the playoffs by winning the division!!!

Stick it to em!!!

Don't mess with Texas

O.G.
03-24-2006, 05:40 PM

I think the expectations of many on this board via free agency was blown way out of proportion. People have no clue of the salary cap and it's effects. Let's get David Givens at Wideout, Julius Peterson at Linebacker, La Charles Bently at Center, Steve Huchinson at Guard, Edge at Running back, Adam Archueta at Safety, and Trade for John Abraham as well. Oh and move up and obtain 2 first round picks to get Reggie/Vince and whomever else we can get in the first round as well as sign everyone, stay under the cap and have everyone in ontime in training camp. That can happen.......in fantasy football, but not when you have real money involved.

Hardcore Texan
03-24-2006, 05:41 PM

I agree and understand it is results based, and I am anxious to see those results along with my fellow fans. I was addressing activity in FA more so than anything, and especially not the "finished product". I don't want us to just be a blip on the radar, I want us to be a contender, year in and year out.

THere was a lot of complaining about us not ever doing enough in FA, so has that opinion change much?

Bearfan Blue and Orange
03-24-2006, 05:43 PM
I think the expectations of many on this board via free agency was blown way out of proportion. People have no clue of the salary cap and it's effects. Let's get David Givens at Wideout, Julius Peterson at Linebacker, La Charles Bently at Center, Steve Huchinson at Guard, Edge at Running back, Adam Archueta at Safety, and Trade for John Abraham as well. Oh and move up and obtain 2 first round picks to get Reggie/Vince and whomever else we can get in the first round as well as sign everyone, stay under the cap and have everyone in ontime in training camp. That can happen.......in fantasy football, but not when you have real money involved.

AMEN!!!!

el toro
03-24-2006, 05:47 PM

They are not going to take Reggie nor Young. They will trade down picking up a lower pick and I am guessing a 2nd round or 3rd round. I believe they will then take Stud OT Brickshaw or Winston Justice or if lower mario Williams or Jimmy Williams in the first round.

They will then address another CB and LB position with the 2nd round and maybe a WR with the pick they got in the trade down.

personally I believe you add a Bush or Young when you are 1 or 2 pieces away from winning a superbowl. Right now I have to believe Kube wants to solidify mostly Offense (being that he is an offensive minded coach) and also strengthen the defense to ba a top 15-20 would be reputable and with that you can make the playoffs by winning the division!!!

Stick it to em!!!

Don't mess with Texas

We'll see. The thing with a Bush selection is that gives you the chance for an immediate impact. Think Kubiak doesn't have some ideas as to how to use him in his offense? He gives you versatility. He gives a franchise still looking for an identity and coming off a horrid season some buzz. Yes, taking Young would do that too, but Bush can be on that field on opening day. Bush would go a long way to getting that offense to above average status soon. I'd be more inclined to say they weren't going to take him if they hadn't made the moves they've made in free agency. They are building something and Bush is going to be at the heart of it.

aj.
03-24-2006, 05:49 PM

Close this thread because this sums a lot of it up rather nicely.

etc...

Weaver - nice signing, too much jack
Walter - nice signing, McCaffrey II will surprise some people
Putzier - nice signing, clutch player fills a glaring need
Cook - take him or leave him, although Kyle Johnson II adds a slightly different dimension to the FB position
Rosenfels - head scratcher
Flanagan - IF he can stay healthy, a solid pickup.
Cowart - nice signing IF he can stay healthy and depending on the $$$ which I haven't heard details. Fills another glaring need.

thunderkyss
03-24-2006, 05:51 PM
I wasn't one of the doubters..... I've always thought FA was the route you go to fix your team now, and the draft is used with more of an eye on the future. What I like.... impressed about actually, with what Kubes has done, is that he's signed FAs from succesful systems....GB, TB, Denver,Baltimore........ & these guys are so young really, it's almost like draft picks without the risk. He also hasn't reached for "star" players..... Buchanon.
Then he's brought in veteran players, Flanagan & Cowart..... Flanagan also from succesful systems..... both having leadership roles in their older systems..... I'm really happy with what we will put on the field in 2006. I'll be getting season tickets for the first time this year(VInce, Vince, Vince) and was a bit worried about how the team would play. I'm still a little concerned, but looking forward to it as well.

thunderkyss
03-24-2006, 06:05 PM

etc...

Cowart - nice signing IF he can stay healthy and depending on the $$$ which I haven't heard details. Fills another glaring need.

How much should we have paid Weaver?? What is your basis for this??

Same thing with Rosenfels........ who did you have in mind??

TheOgre
03-24-2006, 06:14 PM
How much should we have paid Weaver?? What is your basis for this??

Darren Howard signed for less than Weaver, has many more sacks, and is versatile as well. There is no doubt we overpaid for Weaver. He is a nice player but he likely should have gotten about 65-70% of what we gave him.

MorKnolle
03-24-2006, 06:30 PM

etc...

Walter - nice signing, McCaffrey II will surprise some people
Putzier - nice signing, clutch player fills a glaring need
Cook - take him or leave him, although Kyle Johnson II adds a slightly different dimension to the FB position

My thoughts:

Weaver - he is a nice run-stopping DE but he isn't going to provide much of a pass rushing threat. I think we overpaid a lot for him, and I don't mind us getting him but I'd rather it have been as a more athletic DT rather than a DE, especially since there are so many big DEs in this draft that are more athletic and would provide a better pass rushing presence while still being a strong run stopper, namely Mario Williams, but there are plenty of others. I don't expect him to get more than 4-5 sacks a year but if he can draw attention away from Peek on the other side of the line to free him up for more sacks and pick up 40+ tackles and help our run defense I won't mind other than I still think we paid him too much and he won't be able to provide the overall production to warrant that kind of money, but that's the way of free agency.

Walter - Don't know much about him, 30 total catches in three seasons doesn't sound real good. He's a big target, but is slow (around 4.65 40) but is supposed to have pretty good hands. I don't see him being a very good #2 but think he could be a pretty good option as our #3 guy, so hopefully they're not closing the books on adding a quality WR somewhere in there. I have no problems adding Walter for WR depth, but he shouldn't be counted on to be a good #2 guy for us and should only be expected to be a solid 3rd option, we need to look elsewhere for our true #2 guy. I expect about 25-50 catches a year out of him depending on who else we bring in at WR (more towards the 50 end if he's our #2 guy, less if we bring in a more solid #2 or Armstrong emerges).

Putzier - Pretty solid TE, he has played for Kubiak the last several years and knows his system. He's nothing to get especially excited about but he's a better option than anyone we currently and we didn't overpay him. Pretty solid pickup, I expect 35-45 catches for 400-500 yards out of him.

Cook - Decent FB, more athletic than Moran Norris, which is what Denver's system usually calls for, and likely means Norris is gone after camp. I personally don't like paying a FB $1 million a year, but if he's that important then ok. I don't expect much production out of him in terms of statistics, especially if we draft Bush (Bush and Davis should be getting 98% of the carries anyways) but Cook could end up getting a decent amount of catches.

Rosenfels - Well, he also hasn't produced much throughout his career, but if Kubiak thinks he's his kind of QB then I'm fine with them bringing him in. He obviously isn't going to seriously challenge for the starting spot but if Kubiak is confident enough in Carr that he is their #1 guys, then I have no problems saving some money and getting QBs that are purely meant as a backup.

Flanagan - I haven't seen enough of him to really know and OLinemen don't really have any stats to look at, but Sherman coached him in Green Bay and obviously liked him and he is probably a better short-term option at C than Hodgdon is. I think they overpaid him a little too, but if he's going to be a solid starter for at least two out of those three years then I don't care about the money. They still need to find a longer-term solution, whether that be Hodgdon or some other new player.

Cowart - Fairly solid MLB although he is definitely aging. I don't know how much money they paid but he adds veteran depth to our LB core and is a fairly solid player in there. He definitely is not a long-term solution at MLB, but he's solid enough to fill in for a year or two or backup Wong if they decide to align them that way. He should be a solid acquisition but is also not anything to write home about and hopefully they did not overpay him.

hollywood_texan
03-24-2006, 06:51 PM

Stick it to em!!!

Don't mess with Texas

I hope you are right in the direction you described.

Bobo
03-24-2006, 07:19 PM

OK, another dismal season: 3-13 at best, maybe 4-12. I don't know where you get such a rosy view out of a lot of no-names that don't help the problem areas one bit. Rosenfelds? Cook? Flanagan? Putzier? Do you really think these folks will make a difference? However, I will say that no matter who the coach is -- Capers or Kubiak -- I don't think we should expect too much out of free agency. After all, what decent FA would want to come to a 2-14 team? So bottom line: Didn't get much out of FA thus far, but didn't expect much either.

HJam72
03-24-2006, 07:25 PM
OK, another dismal season: 3-13 at best, maybe 4-12. I don't know where you get such a rosy view out of a lot of no-names that don't help the problem areas one bit. Rosenfelds? Cook? Flanagan? Putzier? Do you really think these folks will make a difference? However, I will say that no matter who the coach is -- Capers or Kubiak -- I don't think we should expect too much out of free agency. After all, what decent FA would want to come to a 2-14 team? So bottom line: Didn't get much out of FA thus far, but didn't expect much either.

You're forgetting a few people, like Cowart, and besides that Flanagan is one of the best. I don't think "Flanagan?", as if he were some depth player, is appropriate.

Bearfan Blue and Orange
03-25-2006, 12:21 AM
My thoughts:

Walter - Don't know much about him, 30 total catches in three seasons doesn't sound real good. He's a big target, but is slow (around 4.65 40) but is supposed to have pretty good hands. I don't see him being a very good #2 but think he could be a pretty good option as our #3 guy, so hopefully they're not closing the books on adding a quality WR somewhere in there. I have no problems adding Walter for WR depth, but he shouldn't be counted on to be a good #2 guy for us and should only be expected to be a solid 3rd option, we need to look elsewhere for our true #2 guy. I expect about 25-50 catches a year out of him depending on who else we bring in at WR (more towards the 50 end if he's our #2 guy, less if we bring in a more solid #2 or Armstrong emerges).

In Kevin's Proday at northwestern he ran a 4.45 and I heard his best time to date in his short career is under a 4.4. He constantly works on his speed. If you watched him in the playoff game against the Superbowl Champions, he was consistently getting separation from the DBs if you can do that, youa re not running a 4.65. Also if you are a gunner on special teams and 95-98% of the time the first player down field in the mix, you are not a 4.65. When you blow past Champ Bailey as a gunner on Monday Night football, most definitely not a 4.65 runner.

Bearfan Blue and Orange
03-25-2006, 12:28 AM

It must be because it is late, but this FA aquisitions have greatly increased the Texans. Flanagan is a Probowl Center and a top 5 center at that. HEck you would probably say Olin Kreutz sucks if you signed him (oh ya he happens to be the #1 Center in the NFL)

Putzier is a chance, but a much better chance than you have had in a long while. Rosenfelds... A solid Backup that is willing to backup Carr. All the FA QBs out there wanted to be starters, guess what? that is not happening.

Adding kevin Walter to the WR core gives you a competitive, solid, hard working #2 WR that will command defenders to get off AJ's back and allow Carr to do some damage.

dat_boy_yec
03-25-2006, 12:29 AM

Are you a Titans fan trying to fool yourself into thinking you'll beat us this season or something. Whats wrong with your mind. Got ADD you don't know what our needs were and how they've been addressed.

Tayton
03-25-2006, 12:34 AM
I'll take Kevin Walters over Jabar Gaffney any Sunday of the year.

edo783
03-25-2006, 12:50 AM
Guys, BOBO is known Copies troll who is dumber than a post and just make wild stuff up to get a reaction. DONT FEED THE TROLL.

Texans_Chick
03-25-2006, 01:17 AM
I'm OK with the signings so far except I don't understand the Rosenfels one none too much.

Here are some attempts to see what they see:

Link of pre-draft analysis of Rosenfels (http://www.webskins.org/dr01/sage.html)

Pro Analysis (http://bengals.mostvaluablenetwork.com/wp-print.php?p=152)

Maybe they think he is the type of guy who can pick up the system quickly? Athletic, smart, has some game experience (but not so much that the fans will be calling for Carr's head too quickly???) I don't know. Maybe it was just the best FA they could find for our system.

Bobo
03-25-2006, 01:37 AM
You're forgetting a few people, like Cowart, and besides that Flanagan is one of the best. I don't think "Flanagan?", as if he were some depth player, is appropriate.

Flanagan is old, old, old. And since when is Cowart a stud? Seems to me people are exuding over things that are not there.

Bobo
03-25-2006, 01:39 AM
Guys, BOBO is known Copies troll who is dumber than a post and just make wild stuff up to get a reaction. DONT FEED THE TROLL.

I don't know who "Copies" is, but you can think whatever you want. If you want to put on rose-colored glasses and believe folks like Rosenfelts and Cook are going to change things around, then go right ahead. Thing is, some of us are realists.

Bobo
03-25-2006, 01:41 AM
]']they are better than what we had. :D :challenge :challenge

Old guys like Flanagan aren't going to help much. You need folks who have a few years left in them. Flanagan has been worked over.

Bobo
03-25-2006, 01:43 AM
I'll take Kevin Walters over Jabar Gaffney any Sunday of the year.

Not me. Gaffney had some good games when Andre Johnson was out. He also was not the problem. Remember, this isn't fantasy football. Games are won and lost in the trenches. That's where the problems are. I don't see Walters as a stud, that's for sure.

Bobo
03-25-2006, 01:44 AM
In Kevin's Proday at northwestern he ran a 4.45 and I heard his best time to date in his short career is under a 4.4. He constantly works on his speed. If you watched him in the playoff game against the Superbowl Champions, he was consistently getting separation from the DBs if you can do that, youa re not running a 4.65. Also if you are a gunner on special teams and 95-98% of the time the first player down field in the mix, you are not a 4.65. When you blow past Champ Bailey as a gunner on Monday Night football, most definitely not a 4.65 runner.

But where's the production? Sounds like Gaffney has produced a lot more than Walters.

Bobo
03-25-2006, 01:46 AM
]']Hey I was UNHAPPY with FA till the recent signings. I BASHED our moves, Now I am happy.

I don't know why you are happy. I don't see much happening due to these changes.

Bobo
03-25-2006, 01:54 AM
It must be because it is late, but this FA aquisitions have greatly increased the Texans. Flanagan is a Probowl Center and a top 5 center at that. HEck you would probably say Olin Kreutz sucks if you signed him (oh ya he happens to be the #1 Center in the NFL)

Putzier is a chance, but a much better chance than you have had in a long while. Rosenfelds... A solid Backup that is willing to backup Carr. All the FA QBs out there wanted to be starters, guess what? that is not happening.

Adding kevin Walter to the WR core gives you a competitive, solid, hard working #2 WR that will command defenders to get off AJ's back and allow Carr to do some damage.

Flanagan has been around for 10 years. Rosenfelds is far from a solid backup -- I'd rather have Banks or Ragone in there. Walter is far from a decent #2 WR. As is the case of Rosenfelds, Walter hasn't produced nearly as much as has Gaffney. I believe all this talk about benefits the Texans have acquired through FA is simply wishful thinking. Most folks outside Houston would simply shrug at these acquisitions -- just like me. As for Putzier, the last thing we need is a reduction in pass protection for Carr. Even with TEs staying in to block for Carr, the OL was still a sieve. And you think bringing in a TE who doesn't block is going to help? I don't think so.

Texas
03-25-2006, 02:18 AM
All i can say is let the season begin!

wolf123
03-25-2006, 02:55 AM
Bobo, my friend, I believe that you are being way to pessimistic about this offseason's FA acquisitions. Although, being very seasoned, Flanagan brings a veteranship to this OL that D-Hog lacks. He also possesses a nice quantity of athletic ability, revealed through his past ProBowl years.

Also, I agree with you that Walter lacks the experience and statistics to come to the conclusion that he is better than Gaff. But, I do like his potential. He has good size and speed (sub 4.5), and as I have seen and heard, good hands. I feel that his signing was cheap and he is a solid pickup.

Weaver - although he lacks the speed of a Peppers, he is a solid true DE, something that we lacked and greatly needed. He is a solid pickup. I do agree that we need speed opposite of him and possibly behind him at OLB for blitzing purposes, but with his size and strength he should be able to occupy an OL man while the LB slips in. Also, in reference to his contract, he has no ties to Houston that would warrant him signing with us at a discount. Because of are record last season, it is well known that the only reason FA sign with us is for a BIG paycheck or some tie to the staff or city. Darren Howard had no reason to even glance at us coming from a 3-13 Saints team. He also took less cash because he was signing with a solid team that he could see himself excelling in. According to our track record and a brand new coaching staff, we are not guaranteed to be a solid team yet.

In reference to Putz, he is a young talent that did very well in Denver. He is a solid receiving TE that can lay down adequate blocks when asked. There are few TE's in the league right now that can excel in both areas and therefore, to say that Putzier is in adequate because he can't hold off a defense is a waste of breath. First of all, with a solid route comes an outlet for the QB, something Carr hasn't had since Miller. ToGo, Shockey, Gates, and Winslow aren't known for their blocking ability but for their routes and hands. Lord knows Breuner and Rivers lack hands and thus Carr had one less receiver and one more blitzing defender to worry about. Putz is a good sign for a much needed hole.

I know this is a long post and that is why I won't continue with insight into Rose, Cowart, and Cook; but I do believe all but Rose makes a lot of sense as depth and possible sources of some form of leadership. I hope, Bobo, and every other reader, views this post with an open-mind and a little more optimism. Get excited!

mancunian
03-25-2006, 04:41 AM

Stick it to em!!!

Don't mess with Texas

I think the last thing you said is the key. Forget about building just a Superbowl winning team. Build teams that win the division regularly - you get to the play offs and anything can happen.

Look at last year - who would have thought the AFC 6th seed would win 3 play off games on the road and then win the SB?

mancunian
03-25-2006, 05:31 AM
I've just been looking at scout.com and they have ranked Cowart and Putzier as the best available FA at there positions. Flanagan was ranked as number 3 for centres behind Bentley and Mawae.

Hardcore Texan
03-25-2006, 11:32 AM
I've just been looking at scout.com and they have ranked Cowart and Putzier as the best available FA at there positions. Flanagan was ranked as number 3 for centres behind Bentley and Mawae.
Good find

I am guessing Sherman wanted Flanigan and Kubaik wanted Putzier. If that is who the coaches want, good enough for me.

taxman
03-25-2006, 12:40 PM
My thoughts:

Weaver - he is a nice run-stopping DE but he isn't going to provide much of a pass rushing threat. I think we overpaid a lot for him, and I don't mind us getting him but I'd rather it have been as a more athletic DT rather than a DE, especially since there are so many big DEs in this draft that are more athletic and would provide a better pass rushing presence while still being a strong run stopper, namely Mario Williams, but there are plenty of others. I don't expect him to get more than 4-5 sacks a year but if he can draw attention away from Peek on the other side of the line to free him up for more sacks and pick up 40+ tackles and help our run defense I won't mind other than I still think we paid him too much and he won't be able to provide the overall production to warrant that kind of money, but that's the way of free agency.

Putzier - Pretty solid TE, he has played for Kubiak the last several years and knows his system. He's nothing to get especially excited about but he's a better option than anyone we currently and we didn't overpay him. Pretty solid pickup, I expect 35-45 catches for 400-500 yards out of him.

Cook - Decent FB, more athletic than Moran Norris, which is what Denver's system usually calls for, and likely means Norris is gone after camp. I personally don't like paying a FB $1 million a year, but if he's that important then ok. I don't expect much production out of him in terms of statistics, especially if we draft Bush (Bush and Davis should be getting 98% of the carries anyways) but Cook could end up getting a decent amount of catches.

Rosenfels - Well, he also hasn't produced much throughout his career, but if Kubiak thinks he's his kind of QB then I'm fine with them bringing him in. He obviously isn't going to seriously challenge for the starting spot but if Kubiak is confident enough in Carr that he is their #1 guys, then I have no problems saving some money and getting QBs that are purely meant as a backup.

Flanagan - I haven't seen enough of him to really know and OLinemen don't really have any stats to look at, but Sherman coached him in Green Bay and obviously liked him and he is probably a better short-term option at C than Hodgdon is. I think they overpaid him a little too, but if he's going to be a solid starter for at least two out of those three years then I don't care about the money. They still need to find a longer-term solution, whether that be Hodgdon or some other new player.

Cowart - Fairly solid MLB although he is definitely aging. I don't know how much money they paid but he adds veteran depth to our LB core and is a fairly solid player in there. He definitely is not a long-term solution at MLB, but he's solid enough to fill in for a year or two or backup Wong if they decide to align them that way. He should be a solid acquisition but is also not anything to write home about and hopefully they did not overpay him.

There you go again with that statement on Walter. 4.65 in the 40yd. At pro day, Northwestern in Illinois, he ran a 4.43 and a 4.47. Do you really think the Texans would pick up Walter if he ran a 4.65? Not likely. In closing, please get your info correct.

tulexan
03-25-2006, 01:04 PM
straight from the NFL

http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/walter_kevin

4.56 (faster than Vince Young)