PDA

View Full Version : will the real GM please stand up....

Akhorahil
03-24-2006, 03:38 PM
ok sorry for the stupid title.... couldnt think of anything.. hehe.
Im not one to throw imagination into it all.... but Ive been thinking about this for a long time.....

Do you think Dan Reeves will be our next GM?

apologies if this has already been discussed.

jacquescas
03-24-2006, 03:39 PM
Dan Reeves doesn't even work with the team anymore.

No he will not be the next GM.

Double Barrel
03-24-2006, 03:41 PM
In a nutshell: nope.

DR has no desire to be a GM, IIRC. He makes pretty good money, from what I understand, just being a consultant. And there is no heat on him from the public, media, or front office about his advice, because he's basically just working for Mr. McNair.

Can't say that I blame him. Reeves has experienced great success at all levels, so there is nothing for him to prove.

el toro
03-24-2006, 03:49 PM
Well, good things have happened since he was brought in to give his advice.

Runner
03-24-2006, 03:53 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if Casserly is staying with the team in a transitional role right now and will gracefully resign (as opposed to all the re-signing we've seen recently) after the draft. I think it will be his choice rather than at McNair's request. I also wouldn't be surprised if he stayed on. I don't think he is blamed by his superiors for last season's debacle.

I may be all wrong on this. My Magic 8-ball keeps telling me to "ask again later".

done88
03-24-2006, 03:56 PM
Dan Reeves doesn't even work with the team anymore.

No he will not be the next GM.

Why do think that? Just the other day they were saying that Cas and Dan were working on the draft. My understanding is that unless a head coaching job shows itself to him he is going to consult here through this entire year.

Malloy
03-24-2006, 04:07 PM
I may be all wrong on this. My Magic 8-ball keeps telling me to "ask again later".

Listen to that 8-ball, them thingies never lie!! :=)

GP
03-24-2006, 05:07 PM
Casserly has always been the GM.

It's just a difference in coaching staff.

If you were GM, would you (A) Ram-rod your own choices of players down a coach's throat, and then when it blows up with a 1-15 record you're the one getting blamed? Or would you (B) Work with Dom Capers and give him the players Capers wants at the positions and with the style Capers wants...letting the blame land where it should: on the coach's head?

The bend-don't-break attitude and the keep-it-close-till-the-4th-quarter philosophy is what BROKE this team and its players, not a GM who gobbled up horrible players. Two years ago, every game was a winnable game until the last game at home vs. Cleveland...and that's when Dom's philosophy blew up (again) and the players had had enough. You could tell it in their body language, and the rest is history.

So many people here have bashed our GM and they don't even stop to think for a second that the guy is a real pro who keeps us under the cap and does his job with character. But you'd never know it by reading the posts around here.

New coach = new style

New coach = acquiring players who actually FIT the style.

What a shocker...

beerlover
03-24-2006, 05:09 PM
What a shocker...

what a relief :yahoo:

NederlandTexan
03-24-2006, 05:34 PM
The bend-don't-break attitude and the keep-it-close-till-the-4th-quarter philosophy is what BROKE this team and its players, not a GM who gobbled up horrible players. Two years ago, every game was a winnable game until the last game at home vs. Cleveland...and that's when Dom's philosophy blew up (again) and the players had had enough. You could tell it in their body language, and the rest is history.

So many people here have bashed our GM and they don't even stop to think for a second that the guy is a real pro who keeps us under the cap and does his job with character. But you'd never know it by reading the posts around here.

Agree 100%.............great post.

thunderkyss
03-24-2006, 05:50 PM
Casserly has always been the GM.

If you were GM, would you (A) Ram-rod your own choices of players down a coach's throat, and then when it blows up with a 1-15 record you're the one getting blamed? Or would you (B) Work with Dom Capers and give him the players Capers wants at the positions and with the style Capers wants...letting the blame land where it should: on the coach's head?

New coach = new style

New coach = acquiring players who actually FIT the style.

What a shocker...

uhhhh, eeee...yeah.... that's the ticket......... Sure, we weren't in Cap Hell, but don't we have another guy that takes care of that?? Ferron?? The coach should tell me what he needs(if I'm the GM)... he can tell me who he prefers, but I'm going to be the one to OK the contract...... I'm going to be the one who says what the max I will offer said player. If I'm paying someone top ten money, but he isn't worth top 20 money, I can't see how that isn't my problem..... doesn't matter if we are winning or not. If I'm going to go the safe route, and only consider who the coaches tell me to consider, then what does he need me for?? Especially if I have a finance guy doing all the figurin..

Capers tells me he needs an offensive tackle, I'll give him a folder on ten guys I think we should pursue..... I'll rank them, and I'll put a money tag on them.... most likely based on my ranking..... Capers can then pick & rank three of the ten. I will then negotiate those contracts. If I get through all three, and I can't get them to play in Houston for the money I'm offering, I'll start all over again.... Now, I'm not going to loose a guy if we're close....... if he's within 25% of what my Max, and he is the guy coach wanted, I'll get him..... if not, NExxxxxt.

sprtsfanatic
03-24-2006, 09:21 PM
great post!!

GP
03-24-2006, 09:35 PM
"uhhhh, eeee...yeah.... that's the ticket......... Sure, we weren't in Cap Hell, but don't we have another guy that takes care of that?? Ferron?? The coach should tell me what he needs(if I'm the GM)... he can tell me who he prefers, but I'm going to be the one to OK the contract...... I'm going to be the one who says what the max I will offer said player. If I'm paying someone top ten money, but he isn't worth top 20 money, I can't see how that isn't my problem..... doesn't matter if we are winning or not. If I'm going to go the safe route, and only consider who the coaches tell me to consider, then what does he need me for?? Especially if I have a finance guy doing all the figurin..

Capers tells me he needs an offensive tackle, I'll give him a folder on ten guys I think we should pursue..... I'll rank them, and I'll put a money tag on them.... most likely based on my ranking..... Capers can then pick & rank three of the ten. I will then negotiate those contracts. If I get through all three, and I can't get them to play in Houston for the money I'm offering, I'll start all over again.... Now, I'm not going to loose a guy if we're close....... if he's within 25% of what my Max, and he is the guy coach wanted, I'll get him..... if not, NExxxxxt." -- thunderkyss

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Interesting philosophy.

I am of the opinion that Casserly is a coach's GM and gets the coach the players the coach wants. How that all shakes out is a mystery to me, but I don't think Casserly brain-farted for four years and just started reeling in quality players (like we have the past few weeks) in free agency and it's just out of the blue that this is happening.

I envision Casserly and Capers going at it in heated debates over this sort of stuff with Casserly relenting and getting Dom what Dom wanted...and telling McNair that it was against his (Casserly's) judgment but that it's Capers' ship to sail or sink. You play devil's advocate with the coach, challenge his request for certain players you think are not a valid option, and then you back off and give in if the coach is passionate enough about it. At least that's the kind of GM I would be. It's ultimately the coach's team.

I mean, what GM holds a coach hostage and determines what the coach gets? It's why some coaches want to wear the coach AND the GM hat at the same time (Shanahan, for example)...a head coach can't cook the dinner with only what the GM allows him to purchase for the recipe (Parcells). And franchises that operate in such a manner where the GM lords over the coach do not attract quality coaches because of this very reason. Casserly is a coach's GM...and that's a pretty good thing when you get a GOOD coach on the team. Hopefully Kubiak is the guy to get it done.

I guess we'll find out.

Tulip
03-24-2006, 09:39 PM
I think Reeves will be gone as soon as the draft is over.

Casserly likes to get the players his coaches want, and now he has new coaches. It wouldn't have mattered what his style was with Capers, though. If Capers misused the players he wanted, I can only imagine what he would have done if he was working strictly with GM-selected players.

Marcus
03-24-2006, 10:20 PM
At McNair's news conference where Reeves was introduced as a consultant, John McClain asked Reeves, "How's your health?".

Reeves: "Not bad considering. I got a couple of knee replacements coming up in the near future".

That told me right there that he doesn't have the slightest interest in being any team's GM, not to mention any position where he has to stand up a lot.

He'll be here for the draft at the very latest. Then, it's back to that cush job at NFL Sirius Radio.

stevo3883
03-24-2006, 10:26 PM
*Stands Up*

mexican_texan
03-24-2006, 10:35 PM
So, can all the Casserly hating come to a halt? For every bad pick, he made a good one or made up for it. What he hasn't been good at until now is FA signings, which is mostly credited to the coaching and system in place.

Tayton
03-24-2006, 11:29 PM
Greenwood and Buchanan.

aj.
03-25-2006, 06:35 AM
So many people here have bashed our GM and they don't even stop to think for a second that the guy is a real pro who keeps us under the cap ...

Dan Ferens is the VP of Contract Negotiations and the Texans cap guy, not Casserly.

One of the typical roles of the NFL GM is to be a caretaker of the franchise - the owner's advocate who makes sure that a head coach doesn't run amok with self-interest personnel decisions that could jeopardize the long term future of the organization. There should be healthy tension by design between GM and head coach. The GM and head coach work together but the GM typically makes the final call on major decisions.

Charley doesn't have close to that authority now, if he ever did. Apparantly all he's ever done (from what he has said about the past 4 years), is to get the players that the coaches want - within the cap limits of the team. A NFL head coach's order desk clerk if you will. That, plus run the scouting staff and rank players.

He's not a strong GM (think strong mayor in city govt.) by the owner's design.

thunderkyss
03-25-2006, 07:31 AM
"uhhhh, eeee...yeah.... that's the ticket......... Sure, we weren't in Cap Hell, but don't we have another guy that takes care of that?? Ferron?? The coach should tell me what he needs(if I'm the GM)... he can tell me who he prefers, but I'm going to be the one to OK the contract...... I'm going to be the one who says what the max I will offer said player. If I'm paying someone top ten money, but he isn't worth top 20 money, I can't see how that isn't my problem..... doesn't matter if we are winning or not. If I'm going to go the safe route, and only consider who the coaches tell me to consider, then what does he need me for?? Especially if I have a finance guy doing all the figurin..

Capers tells me he needs an offensive tackle, I'll give him a folder on ten guys I think we should pursue..... I'll rank them, and I'll put a money tag on them.... most likely based on my ranking..... Capers can then pick & rank three of the ten. I will then negotiate those contracts. If I get through all three, and I can't get them to play in Houston for the money I'm offering, I'll start all over again.... Now, I'm not going to loose a guy if we're close....... if he's within 25% of what my Max, and he is the guy coach wanted, I'll get him..... if not, NExxxxxt." -- thunderkyss

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Interesting philosophy.

I am of the opinion that Casserly is a coach's GM and gets the coach the players the coach wants. How that all shakes out is a mystery to me, but I don't think Casserly brain-farted for four years and just started reeling in quality players (like we have the past few weeks) in free agency and it's just out of the blue that this is happening.

I envision Casserly and Capers going at it in heated debates over this sort of stuff with Casserly relenting and getting Dom what Dom wanted...and telling McNair that it was against his (Casserly's) judgment but that it's Capers' ship to sail or sink. You play devil's advocate with the coach, challenge his request for certain players you think are not a valid option, and then you back off and give in if the coach is passionate enough about it. At least that's the kind of GM I would be. It's ultimately the coach's team.

I mean, what GM holds a coach hostage and determines what the coach gets? It's why some coaches want to wear the coach AND the GM hat at the same time (Shanahan, for example)...a head coach can't cook the dinner with only what the GM allows him to purchase for the recipe (Parcells). And franchises that operate in such a manner where the GM lords over the coach do not attract quality coaches because of this very reason. Casserly is a coach's GM...and that's a pretty good thing when you get a GOOD coach on the team. Hopefully Kubiak is the guy to get it done.

I guess we'll find out.

I think we are on the same page. I understand they were Capers' picks, I'm just saying some of the money we paid for those picks is ridiculous(sp). I wouldn't shove picks down Capes' throat, but I won't over pay to get the guys he wants...... I've got no problem accepting responsibilty for doing the job I'm being paid well to do. If I'm just going to get the guys the coach wants, at all cost, then that makes Capers' GM/Coach, & I'm just collecting a paycheck.

Akhorahil
03-25-2006, 08:03 AM
So, can all the Casserly hating come to a halt? For every bad pick, he made a good one or made up for it. What he hasn't been good at until now is FA signings, which is mostly credited to the coaching and system in place.

Casserly hating.... its been rather mild.

at least the hating part.... and the whole good pick, bad pick thing.... whose to say which picks were Casserly's and which were Capers's........ is there a list out there? lol not that we need to know that to blame Casserly for all the bad picks. he signed off on him. I dont care if he didnt like the picks or not... he signed off on em.

think of it in this extreme context. your freind kills someone. you told him no dont do that... he says he must do it. you say ok... and then help him plan and execute this murder. are you guilty? you better believe it.

but your right... he should get due credit for his good picks.... but as far as I can tell... we have had more bad than good.

and hey man... Im fine with Casserly... if we can hire people like Reeves to supplement his faults then thats great. and Im happy with that. I was just curious to find out what everyone thought about Reeves. I dont post here. I mostly read because people always tend to say what I thought and most of yall are far beyond me in knowledge of the org and such. Im just a mere Fan of the game and Avid reader of these forums..... since nobody was talking about this issue.... I figured... what the heck.

Double Barrel
03-25-2006, 08:45 AM
Charley doesn't have close to that authority now, if he ever did. Apparantly all he's ever done (from what he has said about the past 4 years), is to get the players that the coaches want - within the cap limits of the team. A NFL head coach's order desk clerk if you will. That, plus run the scouting staff and rank players.

He's not a strong GM (think strong mayor in city govt.) by the owner's design.

This is the impression that I've been under. The first four seasons are more of a reflection of Capers & Co. than a testament to Casserly's abilities. Just look at how many of Dom's players have been booted under Kubiak. The new Texans will definitely reflect the new coaching staff more than the GM, as well.

aj.
03-25-2006, 09:34 AM
This is the impression that I've been under. The first four seasons are more of a reflection of Capers & Co. than a testament to Casserly's abilities. Just look at how many of Dom's players have been booted under Kubiak. The new Texans will definitely reflect the new coaching staff more than the GM, as well.

Is it Dom's players or Dom's coaching?

One of the things we heard from Reeves in Jan. was that talent wasn't the major issue - an apparent respite for Casserly and the reason he was retained. We heard that in many cases, Casserly was just doing what the coaches wanted in terms of player selection - implying that it was Dom and his staff's influence that brought that 'talent' here in the first place.

Looking at the "Booted" list:

Banks
Bell
Bradford
Brown
Coleman
Gaffney
Hollings
Rivers
Walker
Walter
Wells

10 of last year's 53 -- probably not all that unusual when compared to the rest of the league - especially coming off 2-14. I see a couple of second rounders in Hollings and Gaffney on the list, plus I see a waste of a contract and 8 million in dead money in Walker. I also see five high draft picks and a bunch of cap threatening unrealized signing bonus in three guys on the "not booted list." What's our GM's role in all this?

Is it the GMs job just to listen to the coaches and facilitate transactions within the framework of annual budget or is it the GMs job to add some value to the process and head off things that could mortgage the future in terms of talent or finances?

Are the new guys all 'Gary's players' now?

All rhetorical questions btw.

GP
03-25-2006, 10:04 AM
I think something that's not mentioned enough about this topic is that we're a struggling team in a league where good players will turn down our team for the chance to play for other more competitive teams.

Money is a big part of the equation, but these guys ultimately want to go somewhere that has a chance at the playoffs. And if that player has to compromise those chances by coming to us, or CHicago, or San Francisco, etc., then they want to be well compensated.

In short, we might HAVE to over-pay for average talent because we're not winning and can't attract average or good talent for low money...they can just as easily walk over to other more competitive teams and sign for about the same money AND have a shot at winning a ring.

I've heard another poster say this, and I just think it has a lot of truth in it. Until we get respectable again, we'll probably be overpaying for the Weavers of this league.

And THAT'S exactly what had McNair so pi$$ed off thorughout this seaosn is that he had to be a gentleman about everything when he knew every week's embarassing loss was hurting the team in that category of respectability and how it translates to recruiting talent.

And you see the caliber of players that are flocking to our team because they know Kubiak is not just an average coach like Capers was. I know it's too early to anoint him as supreme victor of NFL, but I think we'll be relatively pleased ina few years with the coaching change. Heck, we've got Sherman aboard and if we keep him aboard we've got a replacement that we know can get us to the next level. Win-win situation.

thunderkyss
03-25-2006, 10:18 AM
It's a different story if we are overpaying good players......... but we're not.

TexansTrueFan
03-25-2006, 10:36 AM
Greenwood and Buchanan.

yeah i wouldnt put greenwood in the same statment as P.B, green wood is descent and if nothing better is available than he be just fine to play for us, now P.B he stunk it up in oakland and he brought his stink to houston, that was a bad choice on C.C part, but not greenwood.

touttail
03-25-2006, 12:53 PM
I don't feel that DReeves wants any part of being a GM. Surely he made good $$$ being a consultant. Just think, if the Texans have a decent year, he being their "consultant", other teams will follow suit.

Bobby 119C

Erratic Assassin
03-25-2006, 05:51 PM
So many people here have bashed our GM and they don't even stop to think for a second that the guy is a real pro who keeps us under the cap and does his job with character.

We have a capologist who keeps us under the cap. Casserly is the guy who overpays older injury-prone free agents and packages up our draft picks and trades them away for a bag of magic beans.

Scooter
03-26-2006, 10:28 AM
it's nothing more than an educated guess because i dont know the inner workings of an NFL franchise, but it seems to me that there's been a rank structure put into place that are doing the majority of what casserly should've been doing this whole time. with mcnair taking more of a role in the franchise as his comfort & knowledge level increases, he's seen it cant be 1 guy (capers) making every decision. now mcnair's involved, has brought in reeves to oversee the decision making process, has brought in a new coach, and got kubiak his own advisor in sherman.

all casserly's ever done it seems is sit in his office with an "approved" stamp, and inked it up whenever capers entered the room. now kubiak makes the first & last call just as capers did, but he talks with sherman first, and from there it goes to mcnair, mcnair to reeves, and reeves back to kubiak (with each gathering input from coordinators, scouts, & doctors of course) ... THEN casserly gets his stamp ready. the amount of information sharing, research, and strategizing has tripled ... casserly hasnt changed anything from year one to this year ... except maybe the color of his ink pad.

that's just how it looks to me.

stevo3883
03-26-2006, 11:05 AM
All rhetorical questions btw.

GARR I was just about to answer them!