PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a Bennie Joppru update?

Brian Witt
03-22-2006, 07:23 PM
I'm wondering how Bennie Joppru's rehab is going, anyone know if he will be healthy for training camp? Also, anyone know when his contract expires? If he could play like he did at Michigan years ago then we could have a platoon situation at TE with Putzier and Joppru keeping them both more energetic than if they had to play the whole game. Believe it or not, Joppru actually did play several games at the University of Michigan without getting injured. It would be nice if his string of bad luck is over and his time off and injuries have not adversly affected his talent level.

Anyway, just hoping someone here might have some up to date info on his rehabilitation. If so, please let me know.

tulexan
03-22-2006, 07:30 PM
All I've heard about him is that he is working out with Carr and other receivers during the morning in the bubble

Texas
03-22-2006, 08:06 PM
Hes standing up? Hurray!

YoungTexanFan
03-22-2006, 08:21 PM
Last I heard he had bulked up and looked great. He had started to run towards the end of last season.

kcwilson
03-22-2006, 08:51 PM
Last I heard he had bulked up and looked great. He had started to run towards the end of last season.

Great, he is almost a bi-ped again. leaving the Cro-magnon stage of the evolutionary cycle. I loved someone's comment earlier about 'Can you imagine what happens on the MBoards if he stays healthy this year and he sucks?'

If it looks like a duck...

Runner
03-22-2006, 08:59 PM
He is healthy and ready to go. If he stays healthy and hasn't lost skills, we might have two good dual threat tight ends. That would be great in itself, and I bet he'll be pretty fired up when he gets in there after all this time.

swisher
03-22-2006, 09:13 PM
I'm personally rooting for the guy. After all he's gone through he deserves to make it this year.

edo783
03-22-2006, 09:32 PM
Should we start a BJ goes out on this date betting pool? Actually, for some reason, I have a feeling he makes it through the season. Heard he is ripped and looking good. Just hope he can stay off the trainers table.

Texizgreat
03-22-2006, 09:43 PM
Come on Bennie i know you can do it....... :superman:

run-david-run
03-22-2006, 09:54 PM
How was Joppru's blocking? I know everyone is excited about Putzier, but he is not a very good blocker. If Joppru is fully healthy, its gonna be fun times for Carr, going from no receiving TE's to 2!

outofhnd
03-22-2006, 11:01 PM
I still stand by my estimation that I could see Bigfoot, Before I see Bennie Joppru on sundays. :ouch: Its just the luck of this franchise, Last year we had the chance at Alex Smith but we passed with the hopes of Joppru finally getting out there only to tear his ACL while running a route. and ripped isnt neccasarily a good thing, especially if your tendons are weak. I just have a feeling if he survived preseason, that hed be struck by lightening during the coin toss on opening day. I hope I am wrong and the guy is just a monster.

TEXANRED
03-22-2006, 11:05 PM
Hate to burst anyone's bubble but I have played more football in the last four years than he has. What is he, 25-26? Hasen't been hit since college much less the NFL.

If he is lucky he sees the field 20-30 times, thats if he stays healthy, and then goes to NFL europe for the summer.

Not trying to be negative. I have been waiting for four years like the rest of you. I just don't see how he is even going be a roll player over the next few years, much much less a major player.

But hey I have been wrong before, I thought we would go 12-4 last year.:rolleyes:

big homey
03-22-2006, 11:05 PM
I bet Bennie was just waiting for Capers & Co. to get thrown out of town before he all of a sudden gets healthy...:stirpot:

mexican_texan
03-22-2006, 11:12 PM
I bet Bennie was just waiting for Capers & Co. to get thrown out of town before he all of a sudden gets healthy...:stirpot:
He had the #1 TE spot locked up in the pre-season. You know the rest.

The main page had a story on him and how he dealt with being injured his first three years in the league. He said his only joy came from catching passes from Ragone. Eventually, Ragone stopped responding to Joppru and the coaches were the only ones throwing him passes. It was so sad...:crying:

Youngstown Colt
03-22-2006, 11:48 PM
Joppru is gonna come into this season healthy and ready to go, Carr will throw him that first pass to get him into the rhythm, and he will explode (physically, like "bam").

At least I think.

Ibar_Harry
03-23-2006, 12:38 AM
How was Joppru's blocking? I know everyone is excited about Putzier, but he is not a very good blocker. If Joppru is fully healthy, its gonna be fun times for Carr, going from no receiving TE's to 2!

He is suppose to be an excellent blocker and that's why they wanted him so bad. He has excellent hands and good blocking skills. He is the complete package if healthy.......

outofhnd
03-23-2006, 01:01 AM
Considering his status the last three years, thats a pretty big IF.

Kaiser Toro
03-23-2006, 01:29 AM
I heard he has bulked up for Spring Break and looking forward to Spring Fling.

C'mon BJ, we need to see you on the field as much as you want to be on the field.

rockabilly
03-23-2006, 02:15 AM
I remember some article I read that said that Capers and co had horrible overdone training techniques and schedules which led to game fatigue (hence end of game team collapses) and player injuries. I think that what might of led to the Joppru injuries in practice. I think he will make it this season...

swisher
03-23-2006, 09:24 AM
C'mon Bennie!

REVERSE THE CURSE!!!!

:wherewill

http://www.mppa.org/mppa/ClipsStudent/Jan2003/Sports1.jpg

chuckm
03-23-2006, 09:27 AM
jeeez Bennie Joppru ... has he even played in a preseason game yet? If anything, the law of averages HAS to be on his side from now own ....

Runner
03-23-2006, 09:32 AM
I remember some article I read that said that Capers and co had horrible overdone training techniques and schedules which led to game fatigue (hence end of game team collapses) and player injuries. I think that what might of led to the Joppru injuries in practice. I think he will make it this season...

Here's a post on the subject. However in his case, Bennie has always been hurt so early I doubt this had an effect.

http://www.houstontexans.com/fan_zone/messageboards/showthread.php?t=17406

Malloy
03-23-2006, 10:28 AM
jeeez Bennie Joppru ... has he even played in a preseason game yet? If anything, the law of averages HAS to be on his side from now own ....

He'll pro-bowl the next few seasons then :)

bigTEXan8
03-23-2006, 10:46 AM
I'm gitty to see Joppru play. It's been a long time coming, but this guy is going to be awesome...I just feel it.

TheOgre
03-23-2006, 11:23 AM
Has there ever been a player with worst injury luck their first three seasons? He is a good blocker and a good receiver. About the only thing he doesn't do that the premier TE's can is stretch a defense. I guess that is Putzier's role.

jacquescas
03-23-2006, 11:28 AM
Bennie Joppru liquified his groin muscle today when climbing out of bed. Doctors were unable to operate because a callous of scar tissue formed that was so hard that it was inpenetratable. The Texans placed him on the injured list.

Kaiser Toro
03-23-2006, 11:30 AM
Bennie Joppru liquified his groin muscle today when climbing out of bed. Doctors were unable to operate because a callous of scar tissue formed that was so hard that it was inpenetratable. The Texans placed him on the injured list.

Do you have a link or do you have carnal knowledge?

Mr. White
03-23-2006, 11:34 AM

I kinda think he's the Texans' Mike Sherrard. Hope I'm wrong, but I doubt the guy ever plays in a regular season game for us.

|The.Brand0n|
03-23-2006, 02:56 PM
I heard he has bulked up for Spring Break and looking forward to Spring Fling.

Dont you mean looking forward to a Spring Sling? *rimshot* Go Bennie.

mexican_texan
03-23-2006, 04:21 PM
http://www.savannahnow.com/images/073103/full_football.jpgall that gel in his hair might've made him slip

LBblitz
03-23-2006, 06:32 PM
http://www.savannahnow.com/images/073103/full_football.jpgall that gel in his hair might've made him slip
isnt that water in his hair?

mexican_texan
03-23-2006, 07:56 PM
isnt that water in his hair?
Water and gel. I'm in high school. I know this stuff.

Brian Witt
03-23-2006, 10:05 PM

When he played for Michigan he was not too physical, I'd say his blocking was average. If you look back at his stats in about 2002 you will see that even though only Braylon Edwards had more recieving yards for Michigan, not all of Bennie's games were big yardage games (with Braylon Edwards and a good defense they didn't need to be). His thing was that he had great hands. He made the difficult catches that made fans look forward to every pass in his direction. When he was drafted I remember a quote stating that he sucked up the ball like a vacuum cleaner. Some of his catches were outstanding.

Brian Witt
03-23-2006, 10:21 PM
One of you mentioned he hasn't taken too many hits since college. Just thought I'd point out his ACL injury was in a non contact drill. Also, I could be wrong but I doubt his groin injuries were hit related. Back in the day, when he played football, he could take the hits without getting injured. Unfortunately for him, he has managed to get hurt even without the bone crushing NFL tackles.

mexican_texan
03-23-2006, 11:40 PM
One of you mentioned he hasn't taken too many hits since college. Just thought I'd point out his ACL injury was in a non contact drill. Also, I could be wrong but I doubt his groin injuries were hit related. Back in the day, when he played football, he could take the hits without getting injured. Unfortunately for him, he has managed to get hurt even without the bone crushing NFL tackles.
ACL tears are caused by wierd leg contortions or slips. Of course, forcing a knee go bend with a hit also tears the ACL and maybe more.

stevo3883
03-24-2006, 12:50 AM

acl or other ligament tears arent usually from *hits*.

it usually happens when you're falling, and your leg gets trapped and cant give in a normal motion.

there are exceptions like willis mcgahee, but generally its not a contact injury.

broken bones, bruises, concussions... those are contact injuries.

mexican_texan
03-24-2006, 04:59 PM
there are exceptions like willis mcgahee,
Ouch!