PDA

View Full Version : 05 offense vs 06 offense

keyfro
03-22-2006, 05:06 PM
i was talking to a buddy of mine who is also a huge texans fan and he thought that the texans offense was actually going to be worse or no better than last year's offense...i tend to think that there is no worse than last year and we can only improve

first thing first i have to believe that we will have atleast more than two different running plays besides stretch right and stretch left...knowing the way sherman likes to run the ball you can be garenteed we'll have atleast one counter and one trap play...last year i dont' even remember any of our lineman pulling...isn't that strange to anyone else...plus now that we have a TE that can catch and stretch the middle of the field that leaves carr with atleast three targets...andre, davis, and putzier...not to mention the soon addition of bush

second i have a hard time believing that this years offensive line is going to be worse than last years...we know that pitts is atleast a half-way decent LT compared to victor riley who couldn't block a sloth on the speed rush

as far as the defense is concerned i'm not sure how it's going to fair...but to be honest i would be comfortable with a mid-level offense and bottom third ranked defense than the team we had last year...if we can get this offense working efficiently then fixing the defense will eventually catch on with a draft or two

kcwilson
03-22-2006, 05:31 PM
I think I speak for everyone when I say that it is almost impossible to be worse off this year offensively than we were last year. Keyword: ALMOST
Coaching at the OL and WR positions is starting to become much more critical. Our run game is mid level now, and with the addition of Bush/Cook, ought to at least maintain mid level, hopefully increase. However, overall improvement in the passing game is all about coaching the OL and WR's.

Defensively, the secondary is a GLARING problem that needs some attention. Safety play was ok at the end of the year given the experience level when Coleman wasn't playing. But that is a lot to bank on with questionable RE pressure from Babin/Peek and no MLB as of now. These positions could be shored up, but would rather see the defensive secondary moves this offseason before passing too much judegement about the fate of defense in '06.

chuckm
03-22-2006, 05:32 PM
IMO, the offense improved geometrically the minute Kubiak said yes ...

TheOgre
03-22-2006, 05:34 PM
If we draft Bush, I don't see that happening. We still need to add a #2 WR and at least one lineman though.

Bearfan Blue and Orange
03-22-2006, 05:42 PM
i was talking to a buddy of mine who is also a huge texans fan and he thought that the texans offense was actually going to be worse or no better than last year's offense...i tend to think that there is no worse than last year and we can only improve

first thing first i have to believe that we will have atleast more than two different running plays besides stretch right and stretch left...knowing the way sherman likes to run the ball you can be garenteed we'll have atleast one counter and one trap play...last year i dont' even remember any of our lineman pulling...isn't that strange to anyone else...plus now that we have a TE that can catch and stretch the middle of the field that leaves carr with atleast three targets...andre, davis, and putzier...not to mention the soon addition of bush

second i have a hard time believing that this years offensive line is going to be worse than last years...we know that pitts is atleast a half-way decent LT compared to victor riley who couldn't block a sloth on the speed rush

as far as the defense is concerned i'm not sure how it's going to fair...but to be honest i would be comfortable with a mid-level offense and bottom third ranked defense than the team we had last year...if we can get this offense working efficiently then fixing the defense will eventually catch on with a draft or two

Don't forge the addition of WR Kevin Walter from Cinci. Here is my prediction... I we can add 2 Offensive Linemen Via draft or FA to protect Carr and get this O-Line to gel, the offense will be in the top 15 teams in the NFL... How?

If the O-Line can block for 2.5 seconds that should give Carr time to go through 3 reads before looking for a checkdown. The addition of Kevin Walter and Putzier will make the safeties and CB be true to the pass along with Mathis in there too. If Bush is drafted, between him and DD running and catching out of the backfield, the linebackers now have to stay at bay thus leaving holes in the zone for Putzier to get behind the LB or AJ or KW fly or post into the zone. If it is man to man AJ and KW win.

O-Line is the key

Grid
03-22-2006, 05:52 PM
Here are some thoughts on our new offense.

1. We are either going to have Bush (the home run threat that everyone has always talked about at RB) or we are going to have DD behind a better Oline, with better playcalling by someone who KNOWS how to use the running game.. not as the entire offense, but as a part of the offense that opens up the other parts. This by itself is going to greatly improve our offense. If we have Bush, we will always be a threat to score when we run the Ball.. if we dont have Bush, we will still have DD opening things up for us so that we can actually take advantage of passing situations.

2. Speaking of Passing situations. I know its hard to remember considering how much he has been misused.. but we have Andre Johnson. Our previous staff could not figure out how to use this guy to his full potential (taking one step after the snap and then throwing the ball straight to Andre on the Sideline to see if he can pick up 5 yards is not using him to his full potential). Andre Johnson is talented enough to be one of the BEST wrs in the league.. and now we have a staff coming in that not only realizes that, but will work REALLY hard to make sure that they give him every opportunity to show his ability.

3. I know...but AJ cant get open...we dont have enough threats. With Kubiak, this will be fixed. Bush will help..but more importantly.. the proper use of Tight Ends, and the roll out..will give AJ the openings he needs. Kubiak knows how to run an offense.

4. And if all that wasnt enough.. David Carr, who has been struggling, is going to be tutored by one of the best QB coaches in the league (Kubiak)...and I will guarantee a noticable improvement in his production because of that.

5. I will go ahead and also mention that with Sherman coaching our Oline.. we can be sure that we will have better production and protection out of our Oline.

6. One more thing... audibles. We wont have 2 audibles to work with :P.. the fact that EVERYONE knew what we were going to do when Carr audibled killed alot of drives last season.

michaelm
03-22-2006, 06:20 PM
if the Oline improves enough to keep the defense from getting to Carr with only 4 guys, then we have a good chance at improving in the passing game.
If the D has to send 5+ to get to DC, then we are going to be at an advantage against many opposing teams with AJ, DD/RB, Putz, #2/Mathis/Walter, Walter/#3 in varying combinations.

AJ has terrific size/speed
Putz has very good speed/hands for TE
Mathis has amazing speed
Walters has very good size/hands/toughness
DD has good size/speed/hands and gets positive yardage
RB has amazing speed/agility and good hands

with a little time to throw (and that's not a given at this time), these players have the ability to make plays at every level of the defense and from sideline to sideline. The limiting factor will be whether DC has time, and can make the plays (also not a given).

This offense is shaping up nicely but may not really start to produce next year. It all depends on (as everyone has been discussing) shoring up along the OL, and possibly adding a true #2 reciever.
If we are able to land a competant OC and a #2 WR this offseason, we will have the beginnings of something special IMO.

Bubbajwp
03-22-2006, 06:53 PM
if the Oline improves enough to keep the defense from getting to Carr with only 4 guys, then we have a good chance at improving in the passing game.
If the D has to send 5+ to get to DC, then we are going to be at an advantage against many opposing teams with AJ, DD/RB, Putz, #2/Mathis/Walter, Walter/#3 in varying combinations.

Putz has very good speed/hands for TE
Mathis has amazing speed
Walters has very good size/hands/toughness

with a little time to throw (and that's not a given at this time), these players have the ability to make plays at every level of the defense and from sideline to sideline. The limiting factor will be whether DC has time, and can make the plays (also not a given).

This offense is shaping up nicely but may not really start to produce next year. It all depends on (as everyone has been discussing) shoring up along the OL, and possibly adding a true #2 reciever.
If we are able to land a competant OC and a #2 WR this offseason, we will have the beginnings of something special IMO.
Man im getting excited.:redtowel:

kcwilson
03-22-2006, 08:00 PM
Mathis has amazing speed

What is attractive is that at any moment when either of the above has the ball in their hands, they have the speed to break away.

It is tough to cover speed with size, so at any one point, getting a LB to matchup on one of these guys has the potential to be electric. This is how USC's offense worked in creating odd matchups with speed.

Texas
03-22-2006, 08:04 PM
Tell him to stay off of the crack.:thumbdown

michaelm
03-22-2006, 08:10 PM

Don't know who you are talking to or who you want them to tell to stay off the crack, but since it's a good rule to follow in general I will tell him.

STAY OFF THE CRACK, whoever Texas is talking about...

NRowl
03-22-2006, 10:15 PM
Crack Is Whack!!!

Texans_Chick
03-22-2006, 10:38 PM
Things that will help this year:

1. More experience at receiver for both AJ and Mathis. If both are healthy in 06, that will make an instant change in our offense.

2. Getting out of a predictable training wheels scheme.

3. If we draft Bush, it will improve our line because the pass rush will be less able just to tee off on Carr because they will have to respect the different things Bush can do.

4. TE play will improve and we know Carr likes throwing to a TE.

5. The line is a still a question mark but there is still more time to see what players we can get.

I believe you are correct that our offense could not have looked any worse, but I hate to say such a thing out loud because it might be a jinx. Karmically, of course, we are due for some love.

:texflag:

Vinny
03-22-2006, 11:48 PM
crazy what we have on tap.... http://youtube.com/watch?v=ADh52Uf2EwEAhh, so we meet again. Say hello to Fredo for me. :BananaWav

Erratic Assassin
03-23-2006, 08:31 PM
DD has good size

That's one of his strong suits?

HomeBred_Texan
03-23-2006, 08:38 PM
5. The line is a still a question mark but there is still more time to see what players we can get.

I don't know that our linemen are that bad. I really deep down want to think the coaches were there reason for failure and not bad players. But 1 thing is for sure, we will all know soon enough....

sprtsfanatic
03-23-2006, 09:53 PM

Im sure texas was referring to the friend that the first post was referring to....that sure is a lot of referring.

Now to the topic of the post...there is now way our offense is worse than last years for a couple of reasons.

1. We will no longer play under the "keep it close till the end" style
2. We now have a decent TE and WILL utilize him
3. Even if our line remained the same I am positive Sherman will be able to get more production and discipline out of the OL
4. Adding some experience and speed at WR through FA could in no way do harm
5. WE NO LONGER HAVE BRADFORD TO DROP PASSES
6. DD will excel and share the load under the new offensive scheme (as did many rb's in Denver)
7. Draft could be a huge boost for our offense (and hopefully defense as well)
:redtowel:

michaelm
03-24-2006, 01:17 AM
DD has good size

That's one of his strong suits?

More like size/speed ratio. good but not great.

el toro
03-24-2006, 01:25 AM
You have a coaching staff that knows what it is doing + an improved line (talent-wise and scheme-wise) + better talent at multiple positions. Now we will actually see a TE thrown to. We will have multiple backs who can rush and catch. We will have a guy who's a threat to go to the slot at any given time.

Your friend sounds like he has a bad case of the piss and moans. An intervention is in order.

Tejaspro
03-24-2006, 01:53 AM
You have a coaching staff that knows what it is doing + an improved line (talent-wise and scheme-wise) + better talent at multiple positions. Now we will actually see a TE thrown to. We will have multiple backs who can rush and catch. We will have a guy who's a threat to go to the slot at any given time.

Your friend sounds like he has a bad case of the piss and moans. An intervention is in order.

Look at who Kubiak has signed on offense via free agency. Flanagan is known as a quick mobile center. Kubiak wants quick mobile offensive linemen that fit the zone blocking system that Denver was known for. Also Jameel Cook is the same type of quick fullback that can catch that Denver likes. And Kubiak learned from Shanahan, who's philosophy is predicated upon running the football. The Texans will pick Bush, and Kubiak will drive opposing defensive coordinators crazy trying to figure out where he's going to line up and what he's going to do. And with the new TE, and WR free agents, AJ will have more room to operate. There is no way the Texans won't be a better offensive team this next season. And I predict they will get better over time.:redtowel: