PDA

View Full Version : Ricky Manning?

gtexan02
03-20-2006, 05:16 PM
Have the Texans shown any interest in Carolina Panthers CB Ricky Manning? He'd be a great CB to pair with DRob, and is a restricted free agent garnering only 3rd round compensation. If we are going to take DB anyway, why not look at him?

Stats (Over 3 years)
Tackles - 147
Passes Defended - 22
Forced Fumbles - 2
Interceptions - 9
Touchdowns - 1

TexanBacker93
03-20-2006, 05:22 PM
With those 2 3rd round picks being the 1st 2 of the 3rd round I don't think it worth losing one for Manning. Now, since the Pats have expressed an interest in Peek and the Texans and Pats could work out a deal where the Texans got a 3rd and maybe a 2nd or 3rd next year instead of the 1st that they don't want to give up...it could be something to look at.

YoungTexanFan
03-20-2006, 05:38 PM
With those 2 3rd round picks being the 1st 2 of the 3rd round I don't think it worth losing one for Manning. Now, since the Pats have expressed an interest in Peek and the Texans and Pats could work out a deal where the Texans got a 3rd and maybe a 2nd or 3rd next year instead of the 1st that they don't want to give up...it could be something to look at.

I doubt the Pats want to give up their first, but I would galdly take their second and third round this year instead.

TexanBacker93
03-20-2006, 05:42 PM
I doubt the Pats want to give up their first, but I would galdly take their second and third round this year instead.

They haven't signed the offer sheet because they don't want to give up the first. I don't blame them. The teams could work out a deal similar to what SF and Washington did, though. If the Texans can pick up a day 1 pick this season and next for Peek I say they do it.

YoungTexanFan
03-20-2006, 06:52 PM
They haven't signed the offer sheet because they don't want to give up the first. I don't blame them. The teams could work out a deal similar to what SF and Washington did, though. If the Texans can pick up a day 1 pick this season and next for Peek I say they do it.

Hell, I'd give them peek for a third round pick next year alone. Peek is overrated, and I will be glad to see him move on. He is not a solution at DE.

TexanSam
03-20-2006, 07:24 PM
I've heard of him, but I've never really seen him in action. Is he the 2nd CB behind Ken Lucas? Is he any good?

TreWardTxn
03-20-2006, 08:05 PM
I think Manning is well beyond an above-average CB, he started the entire season the Panthers went to the Superbowl. That said, for whatever reason, he pretty much has lost his starting job to Chris Gamble (who is good) and apparently isn't playing at a top level.

Dude did have one of the freakiest picks I've seen when he was at UCLA (completly besides the point...)

PapaL
03-20-2006, 08:20 PM
For the right price, also bring him on. But seriously, he is a good CB who may or may have fallen out of favor with his previous team.

Buzz
03-20-2006, 09:22 PM
I think the only reason he might be out of favor with the Panthers coaching staff is that Gamble and Lucas are probably a little more aggressive. It would be worth a third rounder to get him since his experience would most likely help a lot in making the DBs better.

TexanFan881
03-20-2006, 09:29 PM
I think he is worth a 3rd round pick.

There was one game where he got 3 picks in one game if I remember right, and it was a playoff game. I might be thinking of someone else though...

Trap_Star
03-20-2006, 09:34 PM
I think he is worth a 3rd round pick.

There was one game where he got 3 picks in one game if I remember right, and it was a playoff game. I might be thinking of someone else though...

Yep, thats him.......Thats pretty much all he's known for...:rolleyes:

bigTEXan8
03-20-2006, 09:44 PM
No...Ricky Manning sucks. Don't want him here. I saw him play in high-school...dude's a ***.

Eyeguy
03-20-2006, 10:42 PM
Peek can hit the road. Maybe the Pats will get him to controll himself on the field and pay his child support.

outofhnd
03-20-2006, 11:23 PM
I have a feeling Peek Will play weakside OLB in the 4-3. Just say no to Ricky Manning. He will probably want big money.

tulexan
03-20-2006, 11:31 PM
Peek is going to play DE not OLB

TexansTrueFan
03-20-2006, 11:36 PM
I've heard of him, but I've never really seen him in action. Is he the 2nd CB behind Ken Lucas? Is he any good?

in the year before lasts playoffs he really helped the pats get their third superbowl, in the championship game he had i think 3 ints. he's not to bad of a player.

outofhnd
03-20-2006, 11:46 PM
Are you certain of that because the LB coaches said they would like to have him at LB. Just something I read. I think he would have to add like 10 pounds or so to be on the end.

tulexan
03-20-2006, 11:47 PM
I believe he said that he is going to be playing DE next season.

TexansTrueFan
03-20-2006, 11:49 PM
Are you certain of that because the LB coaches said they would like to have him at LB. Just something I read. I think he would have to add like 10 pounds or so to be on the end.

oh its not hard to gain 10 pounds trust me, now mine would be fat i think his would have to be muscle.

Huge1
03-21-2006, 02:00 AM
in the year before lasts playoffs he really helped the pats get their third superbowl, in the championship game he had i think 3 ints. he's not to bad of a player.

Panthers, not the Pats.

bad
03-21-2006, 08:58 AM
No...Ricky Manning sucks. Don't want him here. I saw him play in high-school...dude's a ***.
Manning was a three-sport star in high school and was good enough to be recruited by UCLA. He's a tremendous athlete. His downside is his height, or lack thereof. 5'8" just doesn't work so well against all the 6'4" receivers that seem to be the norm these days.

Texas
03-21-2006, 02:08 PM
He would be a good combo to go with Dunta...He'd also give something for P-Buch to work for. A Starting Spot

ubecool454
04-02-2006, 08:56 AM
For the right price, also bring him on. But seriously, he is a good CB who may or may have fallen out of favor with his previous team.
Manning hasn't fallen out of favor wioth the panthers..they use him in the nickel package mostly. I would be in favor of brining in manning..he would be a big improvement over philip buchanon.

bigTEXan8
04-02-2006, 10:20 AM
Manning was a three-sport star in high school and was good enough to be recruited by UCLA. He's a tremendous athlete. His downside is his height, or lack thereof. 5'8" just doesn't work so well against all the 6'4" receivers that seem to be the norm these days.

I just don't care for him. I'd rather have a rookie starting at the #2 CB spot, like R. Marshall out of Fresno State baby.

wolf123
04-02-2006, 10:24 AM
I don't see them giving up one of our thirds for Manning. I personally like him, but I believe it would be smarter to go for Ike Taylor and only have to give up a 4th as compensation. Also I forsee them addressing the CB position in the second and S position in the 3rd.

wolf123
04-02-2006, 10:26 AM
R. Marshall would be a solid pickup. I'd really like to see him opposite Dunta, that kid can play

wolf123
04-02-2006, 10:28 AM
There are some great highlights of his on draftdaddy.com, if anyone wanted to check him out

run-david-run
04-02-2006, 10:36 AM
I dont know that much about Ricky Manning other then that he owned Donnovan McNabb and Todd Pinkston. I do know that he is a pretty physical corner, probably good in run support. I dont know much about his speed, but I do beleive he would be worth a 3rd round pick, however, I would not be disiclined to taking a corner in the draft with more upside. I guess this is more complicated then we give it credit for..lol

Maddict5
04-02-2006, 03:58 PM
I don't see them giving up one of our thirds for Manning. I personally like him, but I believe it would be smarter to go for Ike Taylor and only have to give up a 4th as compensation. Also I forsee them addressing the CB position in the second and S position in the 3rd.

im pretty sure the steelers gave him the highest possible tender..hes not going anywhere

gtexan02
04-03-2006, 09:50 AM
^^ to the above poster,
Ricky Manning plays for the Carolina Panthers and was offered the mid level tender (same as Burleson) requiring a maximum of one 3rd round draft choice as compensation.

TheOgre
04-03-2006, 10:01 AM
Ricky Manning is a great nickel back, but he is a marginal #2 CB. He plays hard, but he only has so much ability. One of my in-laws is his cousin.

infantrycak
04-03-2006, 10:25 AM
^^ to the above poster,
Ricky Manning plays for the Carolina Panthers and was offered the mid level tender (same as Burleson) requiring a maximum of one 3rd round draft choice as compensation.

It goes:

low tender--same as original draft pick
mid tender--1st rounder
high tender--1st & 3rd rounder

In this case, the Panthers made a low tender which in Manning's case will carry a 3rd rounder as compensation as that is where he was drafted.

TexanFan881
04-03-2006, 02:12 PM
Ricky Manning is a great nickel back, but he is a marginal #2 CB. He plays hard, but he only has so much ability. One of my in-laws is his cousin.

You would think if you were somewhat realated to him than you would be more biased on him, so I will trust you and I think he would not do that much for us. We could do better with one of our third rounders.

Big78
04-03-2006, 10:12 PM
Great reasoning, :sarcasm: , but i would much rather bet on the upside of Manning than that of Buchanon or an unproven 3rd rookie that we MIGHT get. I say if we can afford it, with the cap space i mean, and still get Bush than give them the third, get Mannig, take an O-lineman or a saftey in the second, an O-lineman or saftey (which ever we got in the second then get the other) with our other third, and if we still have our fourth after we get moulds, then get another lineman or best available player there. :twocents:

Maddict5
04-04-2006, 09:49 AM
^^ to the above poster,

its ok, im not an idiot- if you look i was responding to somebody talking about ike taylor from the steelers

MikeMc
04-04-2006, 11:47 AM
When did the Peak to the Pats news start?? Can't find a link on this rumor.