PDA

View Full Version : Coaches and players leaving = Fresh air

GP
03-20-2006, 04:27 PM
I don't know that we'll see great results from our FA signings, but I do know that I personally have a fresh outlook on this team because we have allowed some players that have been here a long time to move onto other teams.

Bradford NOT being on this team makes me excited to watch passing plays again, instead of gripping the arm of my chair as I pray through clinched teeth that the ball is not heading in his direction. Will he drop it AGAIN? Oops, he actually caught the uncatchable ball but later drops a wide open pass for a key firstdown or TD. (Sigh)

Gaffney NOT being on this team gets rid of the endless speculation that he's ready to be a number 2 go-to receiver on this team. No more wondering. No more holding his spot on the roster because he's part of the gang.

Gary Walker NOT being on this team makes me be able to see sideline shots during the game and not get angry that G-Funk is decked out in casual dress because of a nagging injury that should heal by about week 15.

Tony Banks NOT being on this team makes me think that a guy like Ragone who did his duty like a man and went to Europe and lit up the stat sheets, when we even wondered if he could throw the ball at all, might get a shot at the job if Carr can't turn it around in the first few weeks of the season. In the preseason, the team (even though it was 2nd or 3rd stringers) looked a heckuva' lot more in sync than the first teamers under Carr. The chains moved. Catches were made. There was a rhythm to it.

Dom Capers NOT being the coach of this team, along with most of his staff, makes me believe that our players will now be utilized as they should be: In a more dynamic way, allowing them to use their explosiveness and to not be shackled with "run-run-pass to the RB" every offensive series. Fourth and inches on the opponents 10-yard line with 2 minutes left in the game will be more fun because we will probably go for the first and not kick the FG when we're down by 12. Postgame comments by Kubiak will be more interesting because Kubiak is a deep thinker who won't rattle off the tired cliches we're accustomed to getting from Capers. In fact, we might see Kubiak stare down a reporter or two when he gets asked a question that doesn't even deserve an answer....dead air for an awkward amount of time as the room of reporters chuckle and Kubiak continues his Clint Eastwood Dirty Harry stare. He just coaches and then goes into film room and gets right back to work. It'll be good TV the first time he has to try and answer some lame-brain reporter's question and Kubiak just decides to bristle rather than play the game.

All of this is to say that a few of the long-term Texans are gone and I know it'll at least help to know that Kubiak is not holding over certain players for this season just because they were here for so long. It makes you want to watch the off-season reports, the training camp battles, and the pre-season play because nobody's job is safe. Not even Carr's.

Do you smell what the Kube is cooking?

Bsacamano
03-20-2006, 04:35 PM
I could not agree with you more....especially with respect to Bradford, Walker and Capers

z0rpAn
03-20-2006, 09:09 PM
I wouldn't be all-too disappointed if we re-signed gaffney:twocents:

texan279
03-20-2006, 09:14 PM
I wouldn't be all-too disappointed if we re-signed gaffney:twocents:

Gaffney is an Eagle now...

Runner
03-20-2006, 09:54 PM
That breath of fresh air is more than just the vacuum of people leaving. We have a positive, engaged new head coach who knows how to talk to the players and fire them up. He doesn't speak "robotically" or in cliches. He has a real plan, can articulate it, and the team will follow it. He'll generate excitement in the players, just as Dom generated stoicism.

I expect good things this season. Let it rip.

HoustonFan
03-20-2006, 11:31 PM
I'm with z0rpan on J. Gaffney. Wouldn't have minded him being resigned.

Who all is going to the draft party on draft day?

Kaiser Toro
03-20-2006, 11:37 PM
Do you smell what the Kube is cooking?

I will now call my workspace, the Kubicle.

GP
03-20-2006, 11:42 PM
I like chicken fried steak made out of fresh Kubed Steak.

(This is going to get out of hand really quick, isn't it?)

:)

texman8
03-20-2006, 11:47 PM
Kubik's cube?

GP
03-20-2006, 11:56 PM
No, it should be Rubix Kube...

whiskeyrbl
03-20-2006, 11:56 PM
allowing them to use their explosiveness and to not be shackled with "run-run-pass to the RB" every offensive series.
I'm sorry i have to correct you it was run,WR screen/dump off to RB,sack,punt.

GP
03-20-2006, 11:58 PM
All teenage Texans fans are no longer going through the stages of puberty...it has now been officially changed to Kuberty.

That was pretty lame-o...sorry...

whiskeyrbl
03-21-2006, 12:03 AM
Now we need an ELECTRIC song for the team to come on the field to
Maybe some GODSMACK

Kaiser Toro
03-21-2006, 12:06 AM
Its electric, boogie woogie.

Runner
03-21-2006, 12:39 AM
Man, the signing of a tight end has certainly brightened up the place. I like it.

TexansTrueFan
03-21-2006, 12:48 AM
Man, the signing of a tight end has certainly brightened up the place. I like it.

haha yeah ur right every seems alot more up beat now. i like it though.

tulexan
03-21-2006, 12:50 AM
Don't worry, it will return to the bitter debate in two days after "he whose name must not be spoken" has his pro day.

TexansTrueFan
03-21-2006, 12:52 AM
Don't worry, it will return to the bitter debate in two days after "he whose name must not be spoken" has his pro day.

oh well atleast its a change of pace from what i've got used to on this board. i'll just try to enjoy it.

Runner
03-21-2006, 12:53 AM

I thought "he whose name must not be spoken" was Seth Wand - or is he the invisible man? :confused:

F-minus67
03-21-2006, 12:55 AM
I'm glad that Capers is gone, I'll admit that I don't get to see many games. But seeing him stand with his mouth open, staring into nothing. It was a very sad sight.

BradK10
03-21-2006, 01:06 AM
you wanna get off the high and read some chicken littles, go read the people who comment on richard justice's blog on chron.com.

"OH NO I CANT BELIEVE WE'RE GONNA PASS UP THE BEST PLAYER IN THE DRAFT"

Sorry, I just read that stuff and it angered me.

Malloy
03-21-2006, 02:52 AM
That breath of fresh air is more than just the vacuum of people leaving. We have a positive, engaged new head coach who knows how to talk to the players and fire them up. He doesn't speak "robotically" or in cliches. He has a real plan, can articulate it, and the team will follow it. He'll generate excitement in the players, just as Dom generated stoicism.

I expect good things this season. Let it rip.

Wait a minute, the stoics had a good thing going there for awhile :)

HJam72
03-21-2006, 10:04 AM
I think when we start to win under Kubiak, he should be sure to say that his players know how to "execute".

jerek
03-21-2006, 10:09 AM
Good post. My only difference in opinion is that I would have liked for us to resign Gaffney.

Bobo
03-21-2006, 07:23 PM
Gaffney was not part of the problem. Neither was Walker or Banks for that matter -- and certainly NOT Capers, who led this team from its infancy to the cusp of .500 in just three years with a bunch of NFL rejects and rookies. The problem was the offensive line and then spread like a cancer to the defense that allowed record rushing games too often throughout 2005. The fact that Kubiak is not really dealing with the obvious problems on this team should be cause for alarm.

ATX_Texan
03-22-2006, 08:35 AM
and certainly NOT Capers

I am having a hard time figuring out who exactly is to blame. I keep reading that Casserly is not to blame because he only was doing what Capers told him to do. Now, I also read that Capers was not to blame because he was only working with what Casserly gave him. I also hear that the players cannot be blamed because they were only doing what the coaches were telling them to do. The only consistent thing I read is that the people who criticize the Texans are not true fans. So, is it the fans who are unhappy with a 2-14 team the real problem here?

BigBull17
03-22-2006, 10:45 AM
Nobody is free of blame for last year. The team had too many "project" players and not enough impact players. Capers shares somee of the blame for letting his coordinators install a chicken ***** sceme on both sides of the ball. Casserly paid good FA money and got so-so talent. And I could go on and on but the point is there is blame enough to go around and from what Ive seen this early in offseason it appears they are trying to address our lines. Just remember, there is alot of offseason left and alot of FA on the market.

the wonger need food
03-22-2006, 10:54 AM
Ultimately, it's the owner's fault. The writing was on the wall after the last half of 2004 when the players lost faith in the coaching staff and system, and voiced it publicly. Capers and crew should not have been given the opportunity to run the team into the ground.

rafterticket
03-22-2006, 01:14 PM
Ultimately, it's the owner's fault. The writing was on the wall after the last half of 2004 when the players lost faith in the coaching staff and system, and voiced it publicly. Capers and crew should not have been given the opportunity to run the team into the ground.

McNair's not the problem. At the end of 2004 they looked like they were headed in the right direction. Dumping the coaching staff when they were on an upward arc would look crazy. Now, I might agree if you said they should have dumped the staff in the middle of the '05 season.

Still, McNair did what a smart guy would. He moved cautiously and thought long term. He got his talent evaluated, and got himself a new staff.

Hey....if Sherman and Kubiak turn that O line around with few changes, do you think Joe Pendry or anyone involved with that O line will ever work again?

I hope they do, and I hope anyone involved with that old staff can't catch on at the middle school level.

the wonger need food
03-22-2006, 03:33 PM
McNair's not the problem. At the end of 2004 they looked like they were headed in the right direction. Dumping the coaching staff when they were on an upward arc would look crazy. Now, I might agree if you said they should have dumped the staff in the middle of the '05 season.

Still, McNair did what a smart guy would. He moved cautiously and thought long term. He got his talent evaluated, and got himself a new staff.

Hey....if Sherman and Kubiak turn that O line around with few changes, do you think Joe Pendry or anyone involved with that O line will ever work again?

I hope they do, and I hope anyone involved with that old staff can't catch on at the middle school level.

McNair is not the problem, but as CEO of the Texans he is ultimately responsible.

The Texans did not finish on an "upward arc", this is absolutely false. They lost a lot of games during the second half of the season and the offense regressed tremendously (especially Carr). The defense played better, but it was against very weak offenses. Players were calling out coaches publicly and questioning their system. Then they topped it all off with that atrocious loss to Cleveland. No, the arc was clearly on the downward turn at the end of 2004 and many of us could see what was coming in 2005. McNair failed to recognize what was happening and it cost him in 2005. Yes, he is responsible for keeping Capers and crew around and he is ultimately responsible for the Texans being a failure as an NFL franchise so far.

Porky
03-22-2006, 04:38 PM
McNair is not the problem, but as CEO of the Texans he is ultimately responsible.

The Texans did not finish on an "upward arc", this is absolutely false. They lost a lot of games during the second half of the season and the offense regressed tremendously (especially Carr). The defense played better, but it was against very weak offenses. Players were calling out coaches publicly and questioning their system. Then they topped it all off with that atrocious loss to Cleveland. No, the arc was clearly on the downward turn at the end of 2004 and many of us could see what was coming in 2005. McNair failed to recognize what was happening and it cost him in 2005. Yes, he is responsible for keeping Capers and crew around and he is ultimately responsible for the Texans being a failure as an NFL franchise so far.

I am going to agree with this as well. Mcnair is ultimately responsible. He was slow to react after the tailspin in the second half of 04. I was leery about keeping Capers and crew at that time, but OTOH, they were 7-9. I was hoping we would see some major changes, and we did, but they were all the wrong ones though. So, we finished up a bad second half of 04, with a disastourous offseason, the wrong philosphy, wrong coaches, and wrong players, and we ended up with a load of crap. Ya, I would say the buck most definetaly starts and stops at Mcnairs desk.

rafterticket
03-22-2006, 05:02 PM

After they were throttled by Indy (49-14), they lost the close one to Green Bay (great game, too), finished the sweep of Tennessee, lost and lost, then won two straight ROAD games, including 21-0 at JAX, and then should have whipped Cleveland, but we know what happened there.

So, no. The arc was not clearly going the way you say.

But reading your signature line, you are looking forward. Let's just keep it that way.

Bobo
03-22-2006, 07:03 PM
Nobody is free of blame for last year. The team had too many "project" players and not enough impact players. Capers shares somee of the blame for letting his coordinators install a chicken ***** sceme on both sides of the ball. Casserly paid good FA money and got so-so talent. And I could go on and on but the point is there is blame enough to go around and from what Ive seen this early in offseason it appears they are trying to address our lines. Just remember, there is alot of offseason left and alot of FA on the market.

The scheme seemed fine for the first three years ...

Bobo
03-22-2006, 07:09 PM
I am having a hard time figuring out who exactly is to blame. I keep reading that Casserly is not to blame because he only was doing what Capers told him to do. Now, I also read that Capers was not to blame because he was only working with what Casserly gave him. I also hear that the players cannot be blamed because they were only doing what the coaches were telling them to do. The only consistent thing I read is that the people who criticize the Texans are not true fans. So, is it the fans who are unhappy with a 2-14 team the real problem here?

Capers was actually an excellent coach as he took his rag-tag group of rejects and rookies to the cusp of a .500 season in just three years. That is one heck of an achievement that folks don't seem to acknowledge. So what happened last year? Did Capers all at once become stupid? Of course not. Fact is, for the first three years, Capers did it with mirrors. In 2005, the mirrors broke and everybody realized that the emperor had no clothes. And I don't blame Casserly, either. He did the best he could with what was available to him out there at the time. It seems to me that Capers pulled off a real coup in doing so well with an expansion team, but ultimately his luck ran out and everybody saw this expansion team for what it was -- a bunch of rejects and green kids. So how does the braintrust deal with the problem? Bring in a green head coach. Brilliant. Absolutely brilliant.

ATX_Texan
03-22-2006, 08:24 PM
And I don't blame Casserly, either. He did the best he could with what was available to him out there at the time.

everybody saw this expansion team for what it was -- a bunch of rejects and green kids

It still seems like no one has an explanation for the meltdown the Texans experienced last year. The question is why four years into their existence the Texans were nothing but a "bunch of rejects and green kids". In the same time period, the Cowboys, Falcons, Chargers and several other teams were able to rebuild their rosters. Something the Texans have not been able to do. Someone has to be responsible for these personnel blunders. Either Casserly was providing the rejects (which I belive) or Capers was somehow forcing him (which many seem to believe).

CoachJim
03-23-2006, 08:15 AM
Thanks for the new screen name.

:)

:offtopic Sorry for the off-topic but in light of your new screen name & given that we DO draft RB, Imma wonderin' what his # will be? I hope he can buy VMorency's & be the next great #34.

Bearfan Blue and Orange
03-23-2006, 09:32 AM
:offtopic Sorry for the off-topic but in light of your new screen name & given that we DO draft RB, Imma wonderin' what his # will be? I hope he can buy VMorency's & be the next great #34.

Are you referring to the great #34 Walter Payton???

the wonger need food
03-23-2006, 09:45 AM
After they were throttled by Indy (49-14), they lost the close one to Green Bay (great game, too), finished the sweep of Tennessee, lost and lost, then won two straight ROAD games, including 21-0 at JAX, and then should have whipped Cleveland, but we know what happened there.

So, no. The arc was not clearly going the way you say.

But reading your signature line, you are looking forward. Let's just keep it that way.

Well, the Green Bay game epitomized the downward spiral. I believe that the offense had about 37 yards passing in the second half and zero first downs in the 4th quarter. And against one of the worst passing defenses in the NFL. It wasn't a great game, they rolled over and quit.

They played one good game the second half of the season (Jax). They definetely ended on a down note. If you felt differently after the 2004 season, good for you. Personally, I was disgusted and was ready for a coaching change.

Kaiser Toro
03-23-2006, 09:47 AM
Are you referring to the great #34 Walter Payton???

WP was sweet and the greatest in my opinion, but in these parts #34 is reserved for the Tyler Rose. He gave his body to the game and the fans. He was a marvel for a six year period.

the wonger need food
03-23-2006, 10:01 AM
WP was sweet and the greatest in my opinion, but in these parts #34 is reserved for the Tyler Rose. He gave his body to the game and the fans. He was a marvel for a six year period.

Amen. Greatest football player in the history of the NFL in a lot of eyes. If there was ever a player that could be equated to a "warrior", it was Earl.

BigBull17
03-23-2006, 11:03 AM
The scheme seemed fine for the first three years ...

Your kidding right? The scheme wasnt AS horrible in the first three years, but it was far from fine. they didnt look all that good on offense with the exception of a few games. The D was solid for a year or two, but that was befor the project players started playing full time.

rafterticket
03-23-2006, 11:10 AM
Well, the Green Bay game epitomized the downward spiral. I believe that the offense had about 37 yards passing in the second half and zero first downs in the 4th quarter. And against one of the worst passing defenses in the NFL. It wasn't a great game, they rolled over and quit.

They played one good game the second half of the season (Jax). They definetely ended on a down note. If you felt differently after the 2004 season, good for you. Personally, I was disgusted and was ready for a coaching change.

I think you are one of many that held unrealistic expectations of what the team was. They could have been anything from 3-13 to 9-7.

Green Bay did what a playoff team should do - shut down an upstart team. The Texans did a great job keeping the game close until the last second; therefore, a GREAT game.

wongo, are you one those guys that will be upset when they don't make the AFC Championship game next year? Or are you gonna "keep it real"?

the wonger need food
03-23-2006, 11:46 AM
I think you are one of many that held unrealistic expectations of what the team was. They could have been anything from 3-13 to 9-7.

Green Bay did what a playoff team should do - shut down an upstart team. The Texans did a great job keeping the game close until the last second; therefore, a GREAT game.

wongo, are you one those guys that will be upset when they don't make the AFC Championship game next year? Or are you gonna "keep it real"?

Is it realistic to expect a team to get a friggin' first down in the 4th quarter? Is it realistic to expect more than (1) 200 yard passing game out of your franchise QB? Is it realistic to expect an "upstart" team to not get embarrassed by a terrible Cleveland Browns team? Is it realistic to hire a coaching staff that doesn't teach passiveness and game plans to not lose games rather than win them? Or fire a coaching staff that the players have lost faith in?

I could keep going, but the fact of the matter is the team regressed at the end of 2004 and that carried over to 2005. The only way that could have been prevented was by firing Capers and his clowns, which didn't happen, and the organization has lost a lot of credibility and fans along the way.

the wonger need food
03-23-2006, 01:54 PM
Well apparently they didn't lose you.:rolleyes:

Nope.... I've been through every high and low since 1969. Was born and raised a fan of Houston sports and plan to die that way.

the wonger need food
03-23-2006, 02:08 PM
So what's up with the Duke Blue Devil's. Did you go to college there?

Heck no... they wouldn't accept me. However, my kids will be attending Duke if I have anything say about it. I don't know what happened there. After Coach Lewis left U of H in '86 I lost a love for U of H basketball and Coach K kind of won me over. I still root for the Coogs and go to a few games a year, but they will always be my second favorite team.

thunderkyss
03-23-2006, 02:56 PM
Gaffney was not part of the problem. Neither was Walker or Banks for that matter -- and certainly NOT Capers, who led this team from its infancy to the cusp of .500 in just three years with a bunch of NFL rejects and rookies. The problem was the offensive line and then spread like a cancer to the defense that allowed record rushing games too often throughout 2005. The fact that Kubiak is not really dealing with the obvious problems on this team should be cause for alarm.

I hope you're not right. If we go into 2005, and our OL is as pourous as it was in 2005, things will get real, real ugly. Especially if we pass on D'Brick, and more so if we pass on Vince.