PDA

View Full Version : Tagliabue to Retire

TEXANS84
03-20-2006, 12:06 PM
Paul Tagliabue is retiring as NFL commissioner in July after more than 16 years on the job.

The 65-year-old commissioner has led the league since 1989, when he succeeded Pete Rozelle, and had recently signed a two-year contract extension to complete the television and labor deals.

He finally got that done 12 days ago, finishing the most arduous labor negotiations since the league and union agreed on a free agency-salary cap deal in 1992.
http://www.cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/story/9323438

Porky
03-20-2006, 12:43 PM
He is one of the better Commisioners ever in sports. Now they can do like baseball and let one of the owners become a Commmish and wreck the sport. yikes Bud Adams as the NFL commisioner. Yikes thats scary.

:eek:

I shudder to think. I think Tags was okay, and he was great for the owners and players. Fans....more mixed. I mean he helped Bud Adams try and bribe the city of Houston, and then was an accomplice in helping them run off to Tenn, so I don't know if I would decribe that as greatness unless you are Bud Adams.

I still think Rozelle was the best commish, but I am an old timer. Half you whipper snappers probably have no idea who he is. For a new one how about Condoleezza Rice? :yahoo:

SteelBlueToro
03-20-2006, 12:44 PM
For a new one how about Condoleezza Rice? :yahoo:
Fine by me! :redtowel:

F-minus67
03-20-2006, 01:07 PM
Besides this last negotiation problem, he did a great job. Its going to be hard to replace him.

keyfro
03-20-2006, 01:46 PM
paul tagliabue is without a doubt been the best sports commish in the past three decades...to do what he's done for the NFL speaks volumes...i wish him a good retirement...have fun on the golf course paul

WWJD
03-20-2006, 02:31 PM
I'm kind of surprised.

I wonder who would replace him.

He seems to be able to strike a very good balance between owners and players and be fair to both.

Very nice job Paul.

Kaiser Toro
03-20-2006, 03:29 PM
For a new one how about Condoleezza Rice? :yahoo:

I don't know about that. She may claim that the Canadian Football League has to many yards in the field of play and will want to take over the league as it pits a threat to our way of playing the game here in the US. This would blow up the current CBA and most likley dissolve gridiron harmony forever.

I'll pass. I would rather her go blow up baseball. Smart, intelligent and very professional person she is, but is guilty by association at the moment and I cannot endorse her via a voice vote or proxy at the moment. :)

Porky
03-20-2006, 03:33 PM
I don't know about that. She may claim that the Canadian Football League has to many yards in the field of play and will want to take over the league as it pits a threat to our way of playing the game here in the US. This would blow up the current CBA and most likley dissolve gridiron harmony forever.

I'll pass. I would rather her go blow up baseball. Smart, intelligent and very professional person she is, but is guilty by association at the moment and I cannot endorse her via a voice vote or proxy at the moment. :)

She is a huge football fan and has said her fantasy job was commish. Okay, how about Collin Powell then? And if you don't like him, Dick Cheney may be retiring soon. :redtowel:

Kaiser Toro
03-20-2006, 04:06 PM
She is a huge football fan and has said her fantasy job was commish. Okay, how about Collin Powell then? And if you don't like him, Dick Cheney may be retiring soon. :redtowel:

I have heard she is. Colin is the man. Cheney depending on the day can't shoot straight or is a straight shooter. Moreover, Halliburton is at least 15 years away from handling food service at all NFL stadiums.

Porky
03-20-2006, 05:41 PM
NFL | Rice not interested in becoming NFL commissioner; at least for now
Mon, 20 Mar 2006 14:25:59 -0800

The Associated Press reports secretary of state Condoleezza Rice is not applying for the newly opened post of NFL commissioner - not now, anyhow, her spokesman said carefully Monday, March 20. Rice is enjoying being secretary of state "at the moment," spokesman Sean McCormack said. The wiggle-room in his response after NFL commissioner Paul Tagliabue announced he would retire resonated off frequent only half-joking statements by Rice that as a lifelong football fan she aspires to run the league one day. New England Patriots owner Bob Kraft seems to be in Rice's corner for the football post.

www.kffl.com

4Texans
03-20-2006, 07:59 PM
I shudder to think. I think Tags was okay, and he was great for the owners and players. Fans....more mixed. I mean he helped Bud Adams try and bribe the city of Houston, and then was an accomplice in helping them run off to Tenn, so I don't know if I would decribe that as greatness unless you are Bud Adams.

I still think Rozelle was the best commish, but I am an old timer. Half you whipper snappers probably have no idea who he is. For a new one how about Condoleezza Rice? :yahoo:

In one of his interviews he mentioned that his greatest regret was letting The Rams and Raiders leave LA and LA still not having a NFL team, but he didn't mention anything about the Oilers leaving Houston. Of course, now we have the Texans so the league was able to get a new team here. I'll take Bob McNair over Adams any day.

Rice might not be a bad choice.

Since the league is in pretty good shape right now, whoever ends up as commish just has to be a figure head and not screw anything up for a few years.

TEXANRED
03-20-2006, 11:30 PM
Suuuuuurre...........Tags did an awsome job.

He let:
Cleveland move
Houston move
LA lost both teams
Was the Cards his as well?
Saints would be on this list as well but it looks like he is retiring before he can let that happen
Let owners hold there cities hostage for new stadiums, like chicago, and Cinci
Held networks hostage and made them over pay to have the right to carry the NFL, even made an example out of NBC.
Did nothing to help smaller market teams in rev sharing
Did everything in his power to make sure LA would get expansion team over Houston, ha ha he lost that one.
what else, oh yea...............ruined Monday Night Football.

Yea, he was swell.

In fact I heard he is leaving the NFL to help Satan reorganize Hell. Reportedly he is wanting to move Hell from it's current location to LA for the bigger market share. He is even getting his own pitch fork and horn. Its gonna be sweet.

Please_Evolve
03-21-2006, 11:32 AM
I liked what Tags did... I thought he did a great job and i wish him well in retirement as well.

Rice...ha...no thanks at all.

Cheney... the guy can't even shoot a shotgun right. Horrible personality He wouldn't fit at commish at all. Heh we'll see if he like half this admininstration doesn't get caught on the Plame case.

Powell....See rice.

While we're at this one...let's get Bush.. i mean he did a great job with the rangers :homer:

I hope they stay away from an owner becoming commish. I Reallly...REALLLY hate the idea of another Bud Selig. **** sakes end an allstar game in a tie?!I hope they stay in the NFL exec office. I'm not all that opposed to a dual commisioner. Either way they'll have a tough act to follow.

Double Barrel
03-21-2006, 06:12 PM
Of course, now we have the Texans so the league was able to get a new team here. I'll take Bob McNair over Adams any day.

But, would you take the Oilers + 1 Superbowl appearance over our Texans? :stirpot:

4Texans
03-21-2006, 06:30 PM
But, would you take the Oilers + 1 Superbowl appearance over our Texans? :stirpot:

Probably so if it was Bum's team, Earl Campbell, and Luv Ya Blue!

Can you imagine what this town would have been like had Bum and the Oilers made it to the Super Bowl?:yahoo: