PDA

View Full Version : I don't think the Texans plan on using Armstrong...

gtexan02
03-18-2006, 05:38 PM
Lets see the writing on the wall here.

#1. He saw almost 0 playing time last year, even when AJ was hurt, behind Corey "stone hands" bradford

#2. The Texans have made no mention of him at all this offseason

#3. In the recent "catching on" article, the writers proclaim that AJ + Walters = one of the biggest receiving tandems in the NFL (are they saying he's our new #2?) and then goes on to say that adding Mathis into the mix gives us one of the youngest and most talented WR corps around. No where in the article is Armstrong even mentioned.

SO before people claim he's our new #3, I wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't even on the team come next season.

TexanFan881
03-18-2006, 05:51 PM
I agree with you on the Texans probably not using Armstrong, who by the way I think can be a great WR, but I don't think he will be released.

Mightymike
03-18-2006, 05:53 PM
Lets see the writing on the wall here.

#1. He saw almost 0 playing time last year, even when AJ was hurt, behind Corey "stone hands" bradford

#3. In the recent "catching on" article, the writers proclaim that AJ + Walters = one of the biggest receiving tandems in the NFL (are they saying he's our new #2?) and then goes on to say that adding Mathis into the mix gives us one of the youngest and most talented WR corps around. No where in the article is Armstrong even mentioned.

SO before people claim he's our new #3, I wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't even on the team come next season.

to add in reggie bush isn't going to help armstrong's playing time either

aj.
03-18-2006, 05:55 PM
If they didn't want him, they wouldn't have given him his RFA tender. They would have let him walk. He'll be used in Gaffney's slot role.

Mightymike
03-18-2006, 05:56 PM
If they didn't want him, they wouldn't have given him his RFA tender. They would have let him walk. He'll be used in Gaffney's slot role.

reggie bush....not armstrong
if armstrong can get ahead of walters and we don't sign burleson, he could have a chance at being #2WR

Carr Bombed
03-18-2006, 05:56 PM
I don't think this signing has anything to do with Armstrong. After losing Gaffney and Bradford, I think our FO is just trying to find good players at that position and try to rebuild some depth. With this new coaching staff everybody is going to have to earn their spot in the lineup. Armstrong will have a chance to earn a spot as a starting reciever in training camp, he's just going to have to beat out some players to do it.

ArlingtonTexan
03-18-2006, 06:03 PM
I don't think this signing has anything to do with Armstrong. After losing Gaffney and Bradford, I think our FO is just trying to find good players at that position and try to rebuild some depth. With this new coaching staff everybody is going to have to earn their spot in the lineup. Armstrong will have a chance to earn a spot as a starting reciever in training camp, he's just going to have to beat out some players to do it.

This is an answer i like. Guys who fave shown flashes should have to earn playing time. Wish we would do this at other positions.

aj.
03-18-2006, 06:07 PM
reggie bush....not armstrong
if armstrong can get ahead of walters and we don't sign burleson, he could have a chance at being #2WR

Bush, if drafted will see some action at various positions on the field but he's not a full time slot receiver nor do you pay a guy 50 million to be one. He'll see more touches at RB than anything else.

Bush would be more effective running patterns out of the backfield anyway and lining him up in the slot would be more akin to a gadget than a base set.

TexanFan881
03-18-2006, 06:19 PM
I think when Dominick is in the backfield Bush will be used as a WR.

Wolf
03-18-2006, 06:21 PM
I personally hope Bush gets lined up on a safety or a linebacker and not a corner for the most part:drool:

aj.
03-18-2006, 06:25 PM
---000---

aj.
03-18-2006, 06:27 PM
I think when DD is on the field, Bush will be waiting his turn but....

After a few games, Bush will see more and more action, platooning for lack of a better word...

Then Bush will hit a couple of big ones and everyone will clamor for him and DD will be lost in the shuffle/

Then, after this season DD will be gone.

Bush isn't going to make his money at WR although they will use him there every once in a while.

Wolf
03-18-2006, 06:28 PM

After a few games, Bush will see more and more action, platooning for lack of a better word...

Then Bush will hit a couple of big ones and everyone will clamor for him and DD will be lost in the shuffle/

Bush isn't going to make his money at WR.

I agree with that..

Mightymike
03-18-2006, 06:29 PM

Bush isn't going to make his money at WR.

you act as if there will be a guy in the slot on every play
you just edited it to every once in awhile

TexanFan881
03-18-2006, 06:43 PM
Then we should trade Davis while he still has value...

aj.
03-18-2006, 07:06 PM
you act as if there will be a guy in the slot on every play
you just edited it to every once in awhile

No, Kubiak's offense doesn't use a slot receiver on every play. Whatever gave you that idea? Some posters here seem to think Bush is a WR.

I edited a post to clarify my point. Gee, I guess you caught me. Call the message board police.

Actually I edited this one too. I do it a lot when I'm typing on this piece o' crap Toshiba, with the crazy keyboard that results in lost text, characters appearing in different locations in the paragraph for no apparent reason while I'm typing, and double posts which is what happened above --- while sitting outside in relative darkness watching A&M and LSU.

Texas
03-18-2006, 07:27 PM
I dont know man. I dont think we will really use him either but hes got some really good hands so I wish we would. I guess the pre-season will show the coaches what they need to see and we will find out from there.

gtexan02
03-18-2006, 08:58 PM
Walter, 6-3, 214, will join Andre Johnson (6-3, 219) to give the Texans one of the largest receiving tandems in the NFL. With Pro Bowler Jerome Mathis also in the mix, the Texans will have a young, but immensely talented, trio of wideouts.

Why don't they even mention Armstrong? I know he's older, but you'd think they'd at least mention him

Mightymike
03-18-2006, 09:24 PM
No, Kubiak's offense doesn't use a slot receiver on every play. Whatever gave you that idea? Some posters here seem to think Bush is a WR.

I edited a post to clarify my point. Gee, I guess you caught me. Call the message board police.

Actually I edited this one too. I do it a lot when I'm typing on this piece o' crap Toshiba, with the crazy keyboard that results in lost text, characters appearing in different locations in the paragraph for no apparent reason while I'm typing, and double posts which is what happened above --- while sitting outside in relative darkness watching A&M and LSU.

i got that idea when you said we wouldn't be paying bush 50mil to be a WR.
if he only played WR the few times we were in a slot formation then there would be no reason for you to say that stuff about him being WR and paying him 50mil. i said that bush would be taking gaffney's place as our slot WR, not that he'll be playing WR every play

keyfro
03-18-2006, 10:49 PM
maybe the reason they don't mention armstrong's name is because he's not good enough to be a number 2 receiver...guys is it that hard to believe that the kid was a stellar in practice but sucked once game-time came...maybe it has something to do with his work ethic...i mean as dumb as capers might have been he wouldn't have gone out the way he did if he thought armstrong had any talent...he would have put him out there...i don't know...i just don't think that the guy has given us any proof that he can be a quality receiver in the NFL

TexanFanInCC
03-18-2006, 11:14 PM
I agree with you on the Texans probably not using Armstrong, who by the way I think can be a great WR, but I don't think he will be released.

do what the pats did with troy brown and convert him to cornerback. he has great hands and is able to make some rediculously tough catches.

run-david-run
03-19-2006, 12:40 AM
I think Armstrong has proven he can be a succesfull receiver, certanly not a # 2 as of right now, but I would not be upset to find he was our slot receiver. However, I will be upset if I find that the Seahawks signed Nate Burelson. Our FO better gets off its hands and sign this guy as soon as possible.

Lucky
03-19-2006, 09:20 AM

A: This is a new coaching staff. They won't base their decisions on who the previous staff did or didn't play.

A: You mean the writers for Houstontexans.com? They are writers, not coaches.

A: See #2

Concerning how many plays Bush will be used as a WR, a lot will depend on how productive the WRs are. The best guys will be on the field. And if Bush is needed there, so be it. Plus, there's no reason to not implement Domanick into this offense. Denver has used 2 backs to carry the load. Gone are the Capers/Palmer/Pendry days when they rode DD for 30+ touches a game until he drops. Kubiak won't do that to Bush or Davis. Both will bring value to this offense without being overused.

bigTEXan8
03-19-2006, 11:16 AM
I'm going to disagree that Armstrong isn't going to get much playing time this year. I say that Kubiak is smart enough to see the capability that Armstrong has at making plays. I highly doubt that the catches and plays Armstrong made during the 2004 year and sparringly during the 2005 season were coincidence. He made some stellar catches...I still remember that one catch against KC...man that was sweet.