PDA

View Full Version : Texans to meet with Tom Ashworth(Signed With Seahawks)

texan279
03-18-2006, 02:18 AM
per www.kffl.com

Texans | Team will visit with Ashworth
Fri, 17 Mar 2006 21:48:47 -0800

Jeff Darlington, of the Palm Beach Post, reports free agent OL Tom Ashworth (Patriots) will visit with the Houston Texans.

Texan in Japan
03-18-2006, 03:05 AM
per www.kffl.com

Texans | Team will visit with Ashworth
Fri, 17 Mar 2006 21:48:47 -0800

Jeff Darlington, of the Palm Beach Post, reports free agent OL Tom Ashworth (Patriots) will visit with the Houston Texans.

Anyone know anything about him?

Maddict5
03-18-2006, 04:43 AM
hes a pat. thats all we need to know. seriously though i didnt know he was a FA, i wonder why nobody has signed him yet. looks like a decent tackle to me

Scooter
03-18-2006, 05:33 AM
undrafted tackle from colorado. 6'6", 305, and played backup/spot starter for the pats. i dont watch the pats much, but i know that brady has a week to throw more often than not, and ashworth got starting time for most of the 03 & 05 seasons.

mancunian
03-18-2006, 05:45 AM
Anyone know anything about him?

He's a good player - mostly a RT so what would happen to Wade?

ATX
03-18-2006, 07:07 AM
He's a good player - mostly a RT so what would happen to Wade?

Perhaps some competition finally!!!

Texans34Life
03-18-2006, 11:30 AM
Anything to help this OL.

keyfro
03-18-2006, 11:35 AM
you know what...any competition at the RT position is a good thing...but what if kubiak thinks he can play LT and puts pitts up against wade for the starting RT position...seeing how pitts is probably the best RT we have on the team...especially when you consider that with the cowboys signing fabini and owens the likelyhood of them drafting a OT in the first round means that mcneill will probably fall to tampa bay leaving eric winston to fall to us at the 33rd pick

Texans Pride
03-18-2006, 11:39 AM
From a Boston Globe....Says we have interest, as well as the Saints, but no visit has been scheduled.

Offensive tackle Tom Ashworth picked up new suitors recently in the Houston Texans and New Orleans Saints.

When free agency began, Ashworth took three visits -- to the Jets, Buccaneers, and Dolphins. Late this week, the Texans and Saints increased their interest, although no visits are scheduled.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2006/03/18/playing_catch_up_patriots_dive_in_and_sign_caldwel l/?page=2

aj.
03-18-2006, 11:41 AM
You want a guy that lives on the injured list, have at it.

BrianC
03-18-2006, 11:48 AM
If we can bring him in at a decent price he would be a solid addition IMO

MorKnolle
03-18-2006, 12:02 PM
If we can bring him in at a decent price he would be a solid addition IMO

This is the key part here, and over the last several offseasons and so far this offseason our salary guru department seems to not understand this concept very well.

PapaL
03-18-2006, 12:04 PM
Is he in the Visa commercial with Brady? You know, the 5 layers of protection.

Dunta_23
03-18-2006, 12:09 PM
I dont know how cheap he will come as it seems quite a few teams have him on the radar

Lucky
03-18-2006, 12:11 PM
He'd give Todd Wade and Zach Wiegert some company in the trainer's room.

Runner
03-18-2006, 12:11 PM
I say we could move this guy from right tackle to right guard and cut out wiegert cuz wiegert is a (deleted) anyway and then we could have a pretty decent line sitting up there. Especially our center can prove himself and hold up. Ashworth is big enough to play guard and think would hold the position very well.

you know what...any competition at the RT position is a good thing...but what if kubiak thinks he can play LT and puts pitts up against wade for the starting RT position

I think after last season's debacle we should play guards at guard and tackles at tackle. I'm also leery of converting a career RT to LT.

Edit: Removed indecent language from quote. - Lucky

Scooter
03-18-2006, 12:13 PM
you know what...any competition at the RT position is a good thing...but what if kubiak thinks he can play LT and puts pitts up against wade for the starting RT position...seeing how pitts is probably the best RT we have on the team...

pitts would be our ideal RT in my opinion, and someone we sign for the next 7+ years. a solid LT would be needed first though, but when it happens we achieve the bookends that we tried to start this franchise with. i'm still wondering what kubiak & sherman see in wand in that role. he received the highest of praises from boselli and looked pretty good IMO when he started his first season ... deffinately tools to build from. if nothing else, wand should be able to fill the role until top tier reinforcements arrive or our "franchise LT" (if we ever draft one) is ready to start. i admit i was optomistic about wade, and still think he's a decent starter ... he just needs to be on a "run only" mauling team like the steelers or like miami was with ricky.

is that why's missed so many games? the patriots took his profile down and noone has real info on linemen so i ASSumed it was because he was a backup (he was listed 2nd on their depth chart earlier in the season when i looked, but that might've been because of injury). that discourages me quite a bit if so though, because he's missed almost as many games as he's started.

newbiefan
03-18-2006, 12:38 PM
Is he in the Visa commercial with Brady? You know, the 5 layers of protection.

Zero liability i believe :superman:

keyfro
03-18-2006, 12:56 PM
quick thought...kffl reports that the cowboys released jacob rogers...any interest in him for the min. pay

Scooter
03-18-2006, 01:08 PM
quick thought...kffl reports that the cowboys released jacob rogers...any interest in him for the min. pay

6'5", 305. more of a finesse guy than a mauler. the biggest question isnt ability, but ferocity & drive. has only played in 2 games, and none started (despite dallas's injuries). was the 52nd pick in 2004.

from nfl.com...

OVERVIEW
One of the nation's top offensive tackles, starting for his third season on the left side as a senior in 2003 … Coming from a tight-end background, his strength is his footwork, as his forte has been staying in front of the defenders to protect the quarterback … A student of the game, he spends countless hours reviewing film and preparing for his upcoming opponent … A fine all-around athlete, he was also a standout punter during his prep days.

ANALYSIS
Positives: Has a developing frame that could add at least another 20 pounds of bulk with no lose in speed … Shows good quickness, agility and balance … Maintains body control on the move, showing a fluid change of direction … Gets quick movement coming out of his stance … Delivers good pop upon contact, showing the ability to chip and hit his assignment while playing under control working in space … Uses his long arms well to get leverage and keep position advantage to finish his blocks … Not a mauler, but knows how to gain position and push the defender away from the play as a drive blocker … Effective trap blocker who has the ability to move out and down the line of scrimmage to lead on sweeps and pulls … Works well with the offensive guard to get to the cut off point in the second level … Will set up quickly, cut off, angle block and wall off the edge rusher with consistency in pass protection … Has enough functional speed to mirror the edge rushers, keeping his hands active to punch and lock out … Has the foot agility to move and adjust working down the line and shows the kick slide to work back and redirect.
Negatives: Shows inconsistent intensity and effort (will do enough to get the job done) … Has exceptional skills and the power to dominate, but prefers to outfinesse his opponent rather than maul him (needs to show more aggression in his play) … Has all the tools you want in a quality left tackle, but needs to work on his up-and-down intensity (has the potential to be one of the best left tackles in the game if he can develop a "search-and-destroy" nature) … History of shoulder injuries needs further medical evaluation.

AGILITY TESTS
Timed at 5.3 in the 40-yard dash … 405-pound bench press … 500-pound squat … 330-pound power clean … 26½-inch vertical jump … 32¾-inch arm length … 10-inch hands … Right-handed.

ArlingtonTexan
03-18-2006, 01:14 PM

Rogers injury history is just short of Bennie Joppru's as a pro player. He is degerative shoulders and had a knee injury that some (well Parcells) felt he could have played through. Medically I don't think he has a future in the NFL.

ArlingtonTexan
03-18-2006, 01:15 PM
From espn's Lenny P. on Ashworth

Another one of those undrafted free agents the Patriots turned into a very solid player. His résumé includes 33 starts but also some injuries that cost him playing time. Former college tight end who has worked hard to get better, probably limited to right tackle.

Scooter
03-18-2006, 01:37 PM
hell i'm apparently behind on everyone's injuries

Texas
03-19-2006, 11:05 PM
Any idea if this guy is still on our check out list?

12Gage
03-19-2006, 11:26 PM
Ashworth is a very solid RT, definate top ten in the game right now. He is also not the youngest and injuries are a question mark. The Buccaneers are pushing for him, but they don't want to over spend. So, he is weighing his options. Dolphins were the supposed front runners, but it has been reported that they have "lost interest".

Buccaneers | Team still has a major interest in Ashworth
Sun, 19 Mar 2006 06:12:17 -0800

Rick Stroud, of the St. Petersburg Times, reports the Tampa Bay Buccaneers remain a big player for free agent OT Tom Ashworth (Patriots). No decision is expected until Monday, March 20. While Ashworth remains interested in the Bucs, he also plans to meet with the Houston Texans and Tennessee Titans. The Miami Dolphins appear to have lost interest in Ashworth.

We could use a realiable tackle but only way we get this guy is by over paying, therefore I don't think he is right for us.

Erratic Assassin
03-19-2006, 11:52 PM
Ashworth...He is also not the youngest and injuries are a question mark. [/i]

We could use a realiable tackle but only way we get this guy is by over paying, therefore I don't think he is right for us.

Let's see, he's over the hill, he's injury prone, and we'd have to overpay to get him...sounds exactly like someone Charlie Casserly would be interested in. I expect to see him in a Texans uniform next season.

jacquescas
03-20-2006, 12:03 AM
so him being 27 is over the hill? for an offensive lineman where they regularly last into their mid to late 30's?

bckey
03-20-2006, 01:01 AM
Seahawks | Team will visit with Ashworth
Sun, 19 Mar 2006 22:29:40 -0800

The Nashville City Paper reports free agent OT Tom Ashworth (Patriots) will be visiting with the Seattle Seahawks in the near future.

Titans | Team will not visit with Ashworth
Sun, 19 Mar 2006 22:29:03 -0800

The Nashville City Paper reports free agent OT Tom Ashworth (Patriots) will not be visiting with the Tennessee Titans, as previously reported. "I talked with Floyd (Titans general manager Floyd Reese) Thursday, but we don't have any visits planned," agent Tom Mills said.

Errant Hothy
03-23-2006, 04:35 PM
This is now over:

Seahawks | Ashworth agrees to terms
Thu, 23 Mar 2006 13:04:48 -0800

Mike Sando, of the Tacoma News Tribune, reports the Seattle Seahawks have agreed to terms with free agent OT Tom Ashworth (Partiots) on a five-year deal. Financial terms of the deal were not disclosed, but Ashworth is expected to be paid about $4.5 million in the first year.

www.kffl.com

Think he is going to play gaurd in Seattle?

Mailman04
03-23-2006, 04:48 PM
Since when is being 27 over the hill? If being a fan of a team made me as miserable as some seem on here, I would take up flying a kite or something.

keyfro
03-23-2006, 04:52 PM
this signing kinda puzzles me as the seahawks already have four quality tackles...i guess they will use him at the guard position left vacant by steve hutchinson

newbiefan
03-23-2006, 08:02 PM
so him being 27 is over the hill? for an offensive lineman where they regularly last into their mid to late 30's?

umm... he's 28 and he'll be 29 during next season

mexican_texan
03-23-2006, 08:58 PM
umm... he's 28 and he'll be 29 during next season
When in doubt, consult Madden! :rolleyes:

newbiefan
03-23-2006, 09:00 PM
When in doubt, consult Madden! :rolleyes:

haha, no consulted espn.com

PapaL
03-23-2006, 09:46 PM
Go ahead and close this thread and move it over to the NFL section. Signed by the Seahawks. ESPN.com (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2381636)

Just three days after losing star left guard Steve Hutchinson in a convoluted and contentious case that went to arbitration, the Seattle Seahawks on Thursday afternoon found a potential successor in a young blocker who doesn't even play the same position.

The Seahawks reached agreement with unrestricted free agent Tom Ashworth, a four-year veteran who had played his entire career with the New England Patriots, on a five-year contract. Complete financial details were not immediately available, but Ashworth will earn $4.5 million in total compensation for 2006, counting his signing bonus and base salary.

run-david-run
03-23-2006, 10:05 PM
Does this not make it even less likley that the Seahaws will go after Burelson? I would love for the Texans to at least rescheduel his visit and make a push for him, unless he is asking for crazy money...

el toro
03-23-2006, 10:09 PM
How much $ is left?

mancunian
03-24-2006, 02:01 PM
Does this not make it even less likley that the Seahaws will go after Burelson? I would love for the Texans to at least rescheduel his visit and make a push for him, unless he is asking for crazy money...

I think they have made an offer to him

mancunian
03-24-2006, 02:02 PM
this signing kinda puzzles me as the seahawks already have four quality tackles...i guess they will use him at the guard position left vacant by steve hutchinson

they'll use him at RT and move Sean Locklear to LG. Womack and Hunter will be back ups. Chris Gray will stay at RG.

Maddict5
03-24-2006, 04:11 PM
the hawks signed burleson to an offer sheet aswell

Maddict5
03-24-2006, 04:17 PM
just saw this..has to be the funniest thing ive seen in a while..burlesons contract

..understanding is that the offer is a seven-year, $49 million deal with $5.25 million guaranteed and two hilarious poison pills guaranteeing the contract if he plays a certain number of games in the State of Minnesota, or if his average-per-year exceeds the average of the highest-paid running back on the team. The poison pills are obviously direct retribution for the contract Minnesota used to sign LG Steve Hutchinson from the Seahawks.

revenge is truly a *****

DominickDavisFan76
03-24-2006, 05:11 PM
Yo, if we could sign that Tackle, then we might have a lot, I mean a lot!!! of options in the draft.

Man if we get a few key players out of FA, and some needed positions getting filled, we could be contending for a wild card spot!!!!

Dare I make those kind of predictions? :spy: