PDA

View Full Version : FA a FS Bust for the Texans

Texas
03-17-2006, 04:43 PM
There was plenty of established really good free safeties in the FA at the beginning and now it looks like almost all of them are gone. Are we really gonna be able to find a good enough FS in the draft with a 3rd rd - 4th rd pick? I doubt it. Looks like our pass coverage may lack.

keyfro
03-17-2006, 04:46 PM
i think kubiak is content of letting c. brown and earl have a year to play together to see if there is really a need at that position...both players are young and with time to develop might be two good quality safties for us

keyfro
03-17-2006, 04:46 PM
plus if we end this season only needing help at the safty position i think this team will be in great shape

Grid
03-17-2006, 04:51 PM
or we could grab Ko Simpson in the second.

Vambo, the Marble Eye
03-17-2006, 04:56 PM
There was plenty of established really good free safeties in the FA at the beginning and now it looks like almost all of them are gone. Are we really gonna be able to find a good enough FS in the draft with a 3rd rd - 4th rd pick? I doubt it. Looks like our pass coverage may lack.

Not the biggest problem on the defense... considering we couldn't rush the passer, stop the run, et.

BrianC
03-17-2006, 04:58 PM
Im fine w/ Earl and Brown next year but w/ that said theres still some free agents out there we could bring in to atleast compete at those positions.

JAXwithanX
03-17-2006, 04:59 PM
Not the biggest problem on the defense... considering we couldn't rush the passer, stop the run, et.

Yeah I think Brown did an admirable job out there considering he was having to pick which of the two open recievers he needed to cover after opposing QB's having 10 seconds to get rid of the ball every snap.

TexanFan881
03-17-2006, 05:00 PM

I like the sound of that :yahoo:

LBC_Justin
03-17-2006, 05:02 PM
Very rarely are free safeties drafted very high in the draft. 3rd - 4th round is just fine. Or we could grab a veteran like Lawyer Milloy or Tank Williams for a 1 or 2 year deal just to fill the hole. Only if they don't think current talent will suffice.

JAXwithanX
03-17-2006, 05:02 PM
Maybe P-Buc can gain about 20 pounds and try to play FS.....he'd be able to dive at interceptions all day. Of course we would need a killer SS out there to do the tackling for 2 people.

TexanFan881
03-17-2006, 05:09 PM
Of course we would need a killer SS out there to do the tackling for 2 people.

:tv:

TexanSam
03-17-2006, 05:20 PM
I didn't think CC Brown was that bad. We need a better 2nd cornerback than PBuc and Faggins though. Darn us for releasing Kenny Wright and Aaron Glenn.

teamplaya
03-17-2006, 05:25 PM
i agree with you but I would take Tank Williams he is big and physical i think he could play the role of a guy of like Troy Ploumala of the Steelers and plus he is young enough to get better under coach Hoke and then C.C.and Glen can battle for the other postion i think that would allow us to pick a cb in the draft and still have decent group of guy playing in the secondary

JAXwithanX
03-17-2006, 05:25 PM
I don't think Faggins is that bad either though....I mean....what we really need is for Buchanan to get committed.

TexanBacker93
03-17-2006, 06:33 PM

Chris Hope ended up being paid more than he's worth by Tennessee.
Marlon McCree ended up being paid more than he's worth by San Diego.
Dexter Jackson isn't an improvement and went to Cincinnati.

The only other "decent" free agent FS available are Lance Schulters and Keion Carpenter. I'd rather see what comes available in the draft or keep Brown and Earl. There's always the possibility of a June 1 cut as well.

Most of the safeties available this offseason were SS and really didn't have the ball hawking skills to play FS. They were good run supporters, but I don't think either Brown or Earl have problems there.

Koolbrz
03-17-2006, 06:42 PM

I agree. Not a good idea having to depend on a rookie at that position. Oh well, they said they were not going to go out and sign big name players before FA started. They weren't BS'ing.

Rosusu
03-17-2006, 06:54 PM
Ko knows football!! I love the idea of getting him in the second round. He is a ball hawk and a great tackler.

Then again I am a bit biased, but our other DB from SC isnt too bad....

DenverBorn
03-17-2006, 07:50 PM
Marlon McCree ended up being paid more than he's worth by San Diego.

Didn't this guy play for us? And was terrible?

TexanFan881
03-17-2006, 07:58 PM

I don't know about the terrible part but he did play with us, we released him last year.

Texan in Japan
03-17-2006, 08:10 PM

He wasn't bad, came up with a few big plays for us.

TexanFan881
03-17-2006, 08:14 PM
He wasn't bad, came up with a few big plays for us.

Ya, I liked him and was disappointed when we let him go.

TexanSam
03-17-2006, 08:15 PM

Apparently, the Texans thought the same thing about Steve Foley. D'oh!

DenverBorn
03-17-2006, 08:17 PM
oh and so I guess we released him as what we already had at safety was so good?:sarcasm:

Dunta_23
03-17-2006, 08:31 PM
It seems like everybody seems bad when they play on the Texans:brickwall ...I guess this year Gaffney will be a super bowl MVP reciever and Milford Brown a pro bowl guard

BrianC
03-17-2006, 08:47 PM
I say we bring back Matt Stevens, yesterday he picked up my trash and said he would love to come back and play for Kubiak.

YoungTexanFan
03-17-2006, 09:02 PM
I say we bring back Matt Stevens, yesterday he picked up my trash and said he would love to come back and play for Kubiak.

So help me if you jinx our team like that...

TexanFan881
03-17-2006, 09:04 PM

If we did that that could be one of the stupidest moves in our history.

Buzz
03-17-2006, 09:09 PM
I heard that there are going to be three or four free agents in town on Monday. Two of them are obviously Putzier and Burleson, but I don't know who the others are. Do you think one of them could be a safety?

tulexan
03-17-2006, 09:12 PM
i think flanagan is one

BrianC
03-17-2006, 09:16 PM
If we did that that could be one of the stupidest moves in our history.

im guessin u didnt note the sarcasm lol

TexanSam
03-17-2006, 09:53 PM

Every single Texan fan who's watched from the beginning will always remember Matt Stevens. He was a terrible player. It's kind of funny now realizing how bad he really was. Looking at his stats though, he did have one pretty good year with the Redskins (probably why Cass brought him here in the first place). Here's some of his stats from that season (1999):

Tackles-34
Assists-7
Int-6

It's hard to imagine that that's the same Matt Stevens that played for us.

I couldn't find any scouting reports on him, but I would like to read what they say.

TexanBacker93
03-17-2006, 11:21 PM

My point was more that there were few FS available. I don't think McCree was horrible. He just didn't have a spot when they moved Coleman to the position. As far as 2004 went, that was a good move.

Big B Texan Fan
03-17-2006, 11:23 PM
Or stop the run

TexanFan881
03-17-2006, 11:48 PM
im guessin u didnt note the sarcasm lol

The sarcasm was pretty obvious, just pointing out the what if...?

TexanFan881
03-17-2006, 11:50 PM
Every single Texan fan who's watched from the beginning will always remember Matt Stevens. He was a terrible player. It's kind of funny now realizing how bad he really was. Looking at his stats though, he did have one pretty good year with the Redskins (probably why Cass brought him here in the first place). Here's some of his stats from that season (1999):

Tackles-34
Assists-7
Int-6

It's hard to imagine that that's the same Matt Stevens that played for us.

I couldn't find any scouting reports on him, but I would like to read what they say.

How'd he get 6 interceptions in one year :shocked

RB5
03-18-2006, 12:08 AM
You could address the problem in the secondary by trading down and taking Michael Huff from Texas. He's projected to go top ten and may end up at safety or corner. He'd fill a much bigger hole than Williams would after the Weaver signing.

JAXwithanX
03-18-2006, 12:14 AM
You could address the problem in the secondary by trading down and taking Michael Huff from Texas. He's projected to go top ten and may end up at safety or corner. He'd fill a much bigger hole than Williams would after the Weaver signing.

yeah but hey even a better idea....i think we need some competition at the kicker position so we could just trade down and pick up the best kicker in the whole draft!

point being we don't need a CB or FS bad enough to throw away the first pick of the damn draft.

RB5
03-18-2006, 12:38 AM
yeah but hey even a better idea....i think we need some competition at the kicker position so we could just trade down and pick up the best kicker in the whole draft!

point being we don't need a CB or FS bad enough to throw away the first pick of the damn draft.

Just throwing something out there. :ok:

BTW, I want Bush even though Williams sounds like he'll be stud.

ClintonPortis26
03-18-2006, 06:57 AM

Bears are high on him. I mean VERY high.

It seems like everybody seems bad when they play on the Texans:brickwall ...I guess this year Gaffney will be a super bowl MVP reciever and Milford Brown a pro bowl guard

He'll be a really good reciever...but not Super Bowl MVP... Super Bowl MVP will be Clinton Portis.

YoungTexanFan
03-18-2006, 07:46 AM
Bears are high on him. I mean VERY high.

The Bears are also VERY high on Pope.

pearland
04-01-2006, 07:11 PM

I think we need to look closely at FS & SS upgrades.

CB is a costly position. We will need to spend big $ in FA or a high draft pick to get a solid palyer. Granted, this is a very important role, but the supporting cast of FS & SS can possibly be upgrade without giving up lots of ca$h and/or draft picks.

FS & SS is 50% of the DB on the field. These roles surely can provide impact and may benefit from veteran leadership.

TexanFan881
04-01-2006, 07:31 PM
Lance Shulters is still out there, but if we can't get him I could see us drafting for a safety on the first day.

kiwitexansfan
04-01-2006, 07:38 PM
We have a lot of young talent back there.... Maybe the new coaches think that Brown and Earl can develop into a good tandem... Between the two of them we have the SS position covered for sure.... I would prefer we spend one of our draft picks to bring competition in...

the wonger need food
04-01-2006, 08:25 PM
plus if we end this season only needing help at the safty position i think this team will be in great shape

I don't know about that... anyone remember how many games Matt Stevens seemingly cost us? And with the so many good TE's in the league these days you have to have safeties with some cover skills.

wolf123
04-01-2006, 10:54 PM
I think we all agree that the secondary is one of our main concerns going into the draft b/c no key FA additions were made other than the re-signing of a few backups. Also, do to the fact that we made so many offensive FA moves, I can't believe that we would spend our second pick on an offensive player if we pick up Bush with the 1st. That being said, I believe one of the top corners will fall to the 2nd and that we will mostly likely pick him up whether its Cromatie, Joseph, or Richard Marshall. This would add a likely starter to CB position opposite Dunta. Next, in the third I could see an OT/OG going with our 1st and a FS pickup with our second 3rd. Pat Watkins would be an amazing steal if he made it to the 3rd (got size and skill). Also, Ko Simpson looks pretty good, along with Charlie Peprah and Greg Blue. Between Blue and Peprah, I believe Peprah would be a more solid FS, blessed with good coverage skills, a leadership mentality, and a desire to lay a good hit down. Many of the other safeties available are more suited as SS, lacking in the coverage area, and Lord knows we have that already with CC and Earl. Don't get me wrong, I like those two and they may do well together this season if they beat out any competition, but as of right now and the rookie mistakes made last season, drafting a solid FS would be smart. Other defensive and OL positions could be addressed with the final picks

wolf123
04-01-2006, 11:02 PM
Also, if the Bills take our 5th for moulds instead of our 4th, we might take a chance on Ced Griffin and move him to safety, but he is too big of a reach for the 3rd round and most likely won't make it to the 5th. That being said he could also surprise a lot of people by getting picked up early 2nd/3rd as a CB prospect, you never know with some of these teams.