PDA

View Full Version : What is the June 1st agreement mean here for the Texans

whiskeyrbl
03-17-2006, 02:38 AM
Texans | G. Walker falls under new June 1 rule
Thu, 16 Mar 2006 22:56:00 -0800

ESPN.com's John Clayton reports the Houston Texans released DE Gary Walker under the new post June 1 free agency rule. He is free to sign with other teams now, but he will remain on the teams' cap sheet until June 1. On June 1, his cap number will be cleared off.

:confused:
Does this mean no $ of his contract goes against our cap?

aj.
03-17-2006, 05:16 AM
The way I understand it, his entire dead money hit ($7.3 million) is carried on the Texans cap until June 1. After June 1, only this year's prorated portion ($1.8 million) is carried on this year's cap and the rest ($5.5) will be moved to next year. It all has to be accounted for one way or another.

People are wondering why the Texans aren't more active in free agency. Signing players to stupid long term contracts with double-digit signing bonues and then cutting them two years later is one reason.

But, I guess they could be making a deal or two behind the scenes now that won't go into effect until June when the $5.5 is freed up.

TheOgre
03-17-2006, 09:12 AM
The way I understand it, his entire dead money hit ($7.3 million) is carried on the Texans cap until June 1. After June 1, only this year's prorated portion ($1.8 million) is carried on this year's cap and the rest ($5.5) will be moved to next year. It all has to be accounted for one way or another.

They have to count at least $1.8 million against this year's cap, but couldn't they opt to count some of that additional $5.5 million against this year's cap too to reduce the amount of dead money on 2007's cap?

aj.
03-17-2006, 09:26 AM
That's the way it used to work. You could take the entire hit in the current year if you wanted to. I assume that's still the case.

barzilla
03-17-2006, 09:31 AM
Either way, you have to consider the case that since big name free agents don't want to come here anyway it doesn't make much sense for us to use all 5.5 million this year. Sure, you might get that one player that turns you into an 8-8 team versus a 7-9 team. Yet, you would have to purge like we did before this last season and we all know what happened. I would prefer incremental progress even if means we only get Putzier and maybe one other guy.