PDA

View Full Version : Mark my words down.

Dime
03-16-2006, 09:35 PM
Here is my words.. I will eat them in the future if I am wrong. I got a feeling I wont be wrong. If they peave you, tough. I call them like I see them, but this is just what I see.

1. David Carr will start off horrible, and not improve skill wise very much. He will be replaced within 2 years. I see even 1 or 2 games played by Sage/or Ragone. (btw, not saying they do any better)

2. Jason Babin (Barring injury) with the new 4-3 will not only earn a starting position at DE, but will have the MOST sacks by the Texans this year. Many bashers here will jump on the love babin band wagon.

3. We will have the most interceptions that we ever had, setting a new Texans record this year. (revised: we get them, not meaning thrown)

4. Bennie is released before final cuts due to ... hate to say this.. injury.

5. Bush will be the pick. I hate to say this, we need so much more, but his trade sitiuation just went down, and he will be a Texan.

6. Carr will have 1/2 the amount of Sacks this year then he did last year.

7. Mathis will NOT have a breakout year as a WR(this one just kills me to say), but does return 3 punts/1 Kickoff return.

8. I will get bashed for high heaven for saying these things, but I will be right about most of them.

We will see.. I will eat them if they dont come true, just what I see in my magic 8-ball.

Big B Texan Fan
03-16-2006, 09:40 PM
3. We will have the most interceptions that we ever had, setting a new Texans record this year.

Thrown or caught.

Dime
03-16-2006, 09:40 PM
Thrown or caught.

My mistake... We catch, not thrown.

infantrycak
03-16-2006, 09:48 PM
3. We will have the most interceptions that we ever had, setting a new Texans record this year. (revised: we get them, not meaning thrown).

Man, I hate to knock one of your few positives, but in 2004 the Texans had 22 INT's which is pretty darn good so hope you're right because the bar is already high--top 5 in the league high.

outofhnd
03-16-2006, 10:02 PM
Carr leaving in 2 years, hard to say unless we address the blocking he is excellent on the rollout

TexanSam
03-16-2006, 10:18 PM
I can see all of them coming true except for the David Carr one. I don't think he's going to start off horrible, and I don't see Sage or Ragone starting a game in place of him unless he gets injured. Carr can't really have much worse of a season that he did last year. Same goes for the whole team. I'm excited to see what Kubiak does with Carr. He has a proven track record and I truely believe Carr will be a Pro-Bowler within in the next 2 years. Besides, I like my Carr jersey.

TexansJunkE
03-16-2006, 10:24 PM
I also think Babin we be a totally different player this year. Peek is overated!

tulexan
03-16-2006, 10:36 PM
I don't think Mathis will return 3 punts for touchdowns. He isn't a very good punt returner and Bush will probably be the punt returner because that is one of his strengths.

bdiddy
03-16-2006, 10:48 PM
Here is my words.. I will eat them in the future if I am wrong. I got a feeling I wont be wrong. If they peave you, tough. I call them like I see them, but this is just what I see.

1. David Carr will start off horrible, and not improve skill wise very much. He will be replaced within 2 years. I see even 1 or 2 games played by Sage/or Ragone. (btw, not saying they do any better)

2. Jason Babin (Barring injury) with the new 4-3 will not only earn a starting position at DE, but will have the MOST sacks by the Texans this year. Many bashers here will jump on the love babin band wagon.

3. We will have the most interceptions that we ever had, setting a new Texans record this year. (revised: we get them, not meaning thrown)

5. Bush will be the pick. I hate to say this, we need so much more, but his trade sitiuation just went down, and he will be a Texan.

7. Mathis will NOT have a breakout year as a WR(this one just kills me to say), but does return 3 punts/1 Kickoff return.

8. I will get bashed for high heaven for saying these things, but I will be right about most of them.

We will see.. I will eat them if they dont come true, just what I see in my magic 8-ball.

Why bother being a fan of the team? For that matter, why bother getting out of bed in the morning if this is your outlook? I prefer to be a glass half-full type of guy.

Texas_Heat
03-16-2006, 11:03 PM

:challenge , on this Board you can say what's on your mind without getting attack :fib

Paragon Blue
03-16-2006, 11:05 PM
I also think Babin we be a totally different player this year. Peek is overated!
Good because everytime I leave the stadium I have to deal with people passing by honking and yelling Babin sucks!!!!

LongBignasty1
03-16-2006, 11:14 PM
Tulexan is insane! You would let your #1 overall pick return punt's when you have P-buc(who can't play cb) and dunta? Oh your very funny or very misled.

YoungTexanFan
03-16-2006, 11:19 PM

Post of the week. The truth hurts people.

YoungTexanFan
03-16-2006, 11:21 PM
Tulexan is insane! You would let your #1 overall pick return punt's when you have P-buc(who can't play cb) and dunta? Oh your very funny or very misled.

Why wouldnt you? IF we actually make this stupid move and take Bush, he will return punts. He has said that is his favorite part of the game, and he does better than the average punt returner. He is the right kind of quick for it. Also, he will not be getting 25 touches a game, so we might as well get our damn money's worth.

sprtsfanatic
03-16-2006, 11:25 PM
if bush is our selection with the first pick...there is/should be no way he returns punts... you would have to be high on crack to let him go back there and risk injury and allow him to take more hits than he will at RB just for returning punts.

YoungTexanFan
03-16-2006, 11:28 PM
if bush is our selection with the first pick...there is/should be no way he returns punts... you would have to be high on crack to let him go back there and risk injury and allow him to take more hits than he will at RB just for returning punts.

Thats the thing. You want to tout him and his ability to "juke, and break ankles" but you dont want to let him use it. Yes, he is going to be paid a lot, but he will not get enough touches otherwise to warrent top 5 money. He excells at this aspect of the game because he has an open field to work with at first.

M@DD Mike
03-16-2006, 11:32 PM
He will be used in certain situations but I highly doubt he'll be back there everytime.

texan279
03-16-2006, 11:35 PM

I think Carr will start off slow but will improve as the season passes, and no I'm not saying he will be putting up pro bowl numbers this season but I think we'll see improvement from him. I agree with you on Babin. I have supported Babin since we drafted him and think he could be a really good DE for us. As far as the sacks decreasing by half not sure about that one.

Hardcore Texan
03-16-2006, 11:42 PM
So forget the football talk, what are the Lotto numbers for Saturday?

MorKnolle
03-16-2006, 11:46 PM

1. I think Carr will improve, I'm not sure how soon it will happen. I see a lot of competitiveness in him and know he will put forth the effort, but with a new coaching group, new offense, and probably a decent turnover of personnel it will take them a while to gel together and get it going full strength. I think with an offense similar to Denver's with our personnel, I expect 62% completions, 3200-3500 yards, 20-22 TDs, and 12-15 INTs. (Plummer had 4089, 27 and 20 in 2004, 3386, 18, and 7 in 2005, Carr had 3531, 16, and 14 in 2004).
2. I don't agree here. I don't see the passion, fire, and high motor in him like I do in Peek, and I think Babin will have to perform that much better than Peek to get his shot since the coaches reportedly are high on Peek right now. I just don't see Babin having the heart and fire to get this done. I think Peek could get 10, maybe 12 sacks if we put good pressure on, Weaver and our DTs probably around the 4-6 range, Orr maybe 5-8, Wong and Greenwood 2-4, and hopefully Dunta, Earl, and whoever our #2 CB ends up being will add a couple too.
3. Should have a lot more than this year, but 2004 we were 2nd or 3rd in the NFL and I'm not sure we beat that, but it would be great if we could. If we hadn't signed Weaver and were going with Mario to boost our pass rush then get a better #2 CB and better coverage FS then I would tend to agree, but with uncertainty of those happening I can't really say right now.
4. I think and hope they'll keep him around (somewhat depending on what other TEs they bring in) since this is the last year of his contract and see what he can do, but I think he might have worn out his chances and the new coaching staff wants results and has no ties to the old regime and their picks and no reason to keep him around to prove he was a decent pick.
5. I definitely agree here. I'd still rather see Mario and I think there is about a 2% chance of us picking him, but other than that it is Reggie all the way, and I'll be thrilled to see what either one can do for us.
6. Hopefully this is true and I expect it to be. I think a new system, better coaching (Mike Sherman should be so much better for the OLine than Steve Marshall), and a couple new faces along the line and more threats in the offense, along with a consistent starting group the OLine will improve.
7. I don't think Mathis will ever be a true #2 WR, I think he will put up decent numbers (could have 30-40 catches and should average 15-20 yards per catch with 5+ TDs. I think he will get 2-3 KO returns for TDs, I doubt he returns punts with Buchanon and Bush around.
8. Well, this is my version of bashing you I guess, we'll have to wait and see what happens.

kbourda
03-17-2006, 12:05 AM
Why wouldnt you? IF we actually make this stupid move and take Bush, he will return punts. He has said that is his favorite part of the game, and he does better than the average punt returner. He is the right kind of quick for it. Also, he will not be getting 25 touches a game, so we might as well get our damn money's worth.

I have to agree with Long on this one. The last thing Bush would be doing here is returning punts.

RB5
03-17-2006, 12:08 AM
Seems like he'd take more of a beating running between the tackles the returning punts. :boxing:

stevo3883
03-17-2006, 12:08 AM
I have to agree with Long on this one. The last thing Bush would be doing here is returning punts.

considering his talents as a returner add to his value, I doubt we'll keep him on the bench.

he'll see the field as much as he can.

outofhnd
03-17-2006, 12:09 AM
Yea lets try and end the career of our first overall pic and make it 2 out of 3 first selections that get hurt.

jerek
03-17-2006, 12:19 AM
50M dollar players don't return punts/kicks, except in times of rare need. Just does not happen.

I could be wrong, but I doubt it.

beerlover
03-17-2006, 12:24 AM
50M dollar players don't return punts/kicks, except in times of rare need. Just does not happen.

If there is meaning to the game like a playoff game or SB you can bank on it:money:

YoungTexanFan
03-17-2006, 12:35 AM
Yea lets try and end the career of our first overall pic and make it 2 out of 3 first selections that get hurt.

Its not like the FO has cared before. Throw him to the wolves dammit.

tulexan
03-17-2006, 12:38 AM
Returning punts isn't as dangerous as returning kicks. A majority of the time they are fair caught any way.

Wharton
03-17-2006, 01:06 AM
1. Agree. David Carr is shell shocked and will never recover. He should take his leave like Joey.

2. Maybe, maybe not. Just want either Babin or Peek to step up.

3. Nice thought, but our secondary is still very young, maybe 2007.

4. Agree.

5. Agree. Bush will be a good player but will not be the impact player everybody thinks. Much of his speed will be negated in the NFL.

6. Agree.

7. Disagree. I am real hopeful for Mathis, but he does not return 3 punts for TDs.
:twocents:

Maddict5
03-17-2006, 09:35 AM

steve smith does it for the panthers. deangelo hall does it occasionally for the falcs. so he might.. i see your point but is returning punts anymore dangerous than normal running-you cant wrap him in cotton wool- its not like joppru is returning them

touttail
03-17-2006, 10:45 AM
My :twocents:

(1) I know that Rosenfels isn't that good, but could put some pressure on Carr--something Carr hasn't had so far in his Texan career. I see some improvement in Carr with an opened up offense.
(2) Time to get real & see that Babin wasn't what he was predicted to be!
(3) Going to be tough to beat 22 interceptions on defense, with so many questions concerning our defensive backs. Daunte will be the "veteran" with his 3rd year on the Texan roster.
(4) I agree, Bennie will be cut. I don't think he'll recoup from the injuries he's acquired. He hasn't played in two years.
(5) Without a doubt, Bush will be "the pick". Hopefully he will make us completely forget about VY.
(6) I agree, only if we shore up up our OLine. We played musical OLine chairs last season(just think of the changes in offense line and coaching last year, such a turmoil). I hope Kube will have at least an average OLine at the start of the season.
(7) Mathis won't have a breakout year at WR, but see him returning 3 kickoffs for TDs, not punt returns.
(8) I disagree---people on this board don't bash--LOL

Bobby 119C:redtowel:

jerek
03-17-2006, 10:51 AM
If there is meaning to the game like a playoff game or SB you can bank on it:money:

I doubt it. If Reggie goes all season long w/o returning punts/kicks, they are not going to put him in during some crucial moment and risk him fumbling. Reliably fielding the KR/PR is a skill unto itself.

Not saying he will never return a single kick for us, but don't expect to see it much.

humbleone
03-17-2006, 12:09 PM
Sorry Dime...but you are going to have to eat your words on several of your predictions.

1. Disagree...DC is going to respond very well to Kubes coaching and be much improved this year including right out of the gate.
2. Babin will not have the breakout year you predict (I sure hope I'm wrong)
3. Disagree...DR gets his share but the rest of the secondary doesn't
4. Agree
5. Agree
6. Agree
7. Disagree...Mathis will have a breakout year in the #3 WR spot.

Total: 3 out of 7. :twocents:

powerfuldragon
03-17-2006, 12:33 PM
i agree with everything except the bit about david carr sucking.

TheChad
03-17-2006, 12:44 PM
Agreed with everything-- but I don't see Reggie taking the draft. IF they keep the 1st overall pick, they'll get Leinart (or, better, Cutler) in the event that Carr does suck.

Blu
03-17-2006, 01:03 PM
See Eric Metcalf... guys like him can take a lick'n and keep on tick'n.
Hell!!! what's the difference any ways...most backs only last 3 years in the league. Give Bush the ball 15-20 times and let him return kicks when we need a big play...isn't he a 1st pick playmaker?
Just think how deadly and confussed the other team would be with both Bush and Mathis back there for Kickoff returns.

BTW... Carr is shell shocked.... but Koobs "can" reprogram him. It's up to David not to ball up like a girl when Freeny comes around the corner.

hollywood_texan
03-17-2006, 01:06 PM
The idea Reggie Bush is a great return guy is a myth!

2005 Stats:

His punt returns are were 18 for 179 yards at 9.9 yards per with 1 TD, with a long of 84.

His kickoff returns were 28 for 493 yards at 17.6 yards per with ZERO TDs, with a long of 30.

Check it out yourself, http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/teamStats?statsId=62.

Dime
03-17-2006, 01:09 PM
Why bother being a fan of the team? For that matter, why bother getting out of bed in the morning if this is your outlook? I prefer to be a glass half-full type of guy.

Rofl. What makes you think that I shouldnt be a fan of the team. I see what I see.. Most of the weak areas we have had still have not been addressed. Maybe you should watch the team more realistically. These are just feelings I have, and voicing them makes me no less of a fan as you are.

hollywood_texan
03-17-2006, 01:09 PM
Reggie Bush wasn't even in the top 40 of punt return stats.

Take a look for yourself, http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/sortableStats?div=CFB&stable=puntReturning&stat=retPunt&stype=cfb-player-stats-punt-returning&dir=descending.

Meloy
03-17-2006, 01:14 PM
Thats the thing. You want to tout him and his ability to "juke, and break ankles" but you dont want to let him use it. Yes, he is going to be paid a lot, but he will not get enough touches otherwise to warrent top 5 money. He excells at this aspect of the game because he has an open field to work with at first.
I don't get paid for how I get to work (carries) but what I do when I begin work (running). Sort of think that will be the same with Bush.

Dime
03-17-2006, 01:15 PM
I think Carr will start off slow but will improve as the season passes, and no I'm not saying he will be putting up pro bowl numbers this season but I think we'll see improvement from him. I agree with you on Babin. I have supported Babin since we drafted him and think he could be a really good DE for us. As far as the sacks decreasing by half not sure about that one.

Funny thing is, IF Carr is benched for a game or 2, I think it will help him. Why? I think if he lost his starting job, it would make a mental impact on him and make him play better.

Dime
03-17-2006, 01:23 PM
About Mathis.

I really like Mathis, but he is almost identical to another person I like who hasnt done too much (a little, but not a impact player). That person is Tim Dwight. Great returner, decent 3 or 4 WR, but not good enough hands or size for number 2 WR.

TexanFanInCC
03-17-2006, 08:55 PM

i agree with everything actually, but i will say that mathis wont be a 1000 yd reciever. if he gets 600, i will be shocked. i think however that he will catch at least 4 tds this year streaking down the field. his final stats wont impress, but i think it wont matter bc i think we will make key big plays as a reciever, big plays on special teams on a regular basis, and demand some respect from opposing defensive backfields, which will allow andre johnson to have a better year than he did in 2004.

TexanFanInCC
03-17-2006, 08:57 PM
and i definitely think that the weakside DE job will be babins. peek is overhyped only bc he hits hard. he is dumb as a rock in the run defense.

TexanFanInCC
03-17-2006, 08:58 PM
About Mathis.

I really like Mathis, but he is almost identical to another person I like who hasnt done too much (a little, but not a impact player). That person is Tim Dwight. Great returner, decent 3 or 4 WR, but not good enough hands or size for number 2 WR.
r u saying that he is the next jermaine lewis?

Dime
03-17-2006, 09:01 PM
r u saying that he is the next jermaine lewis?

No .. the next Tim Dwight :club:

MorKnolle
03-18-2006, 12:43 AM
steve smith does it for the panthers. deangelo hall does it occasionally for the falcs. so he might.. i see your point but is returning punts anymore dangerous than normal running-you cant wrap him in cotton wool- its not like joppru is returning them

Smith and Hall aren't being paid as much as Bush will be as the #1 pick, but those are two examples of stud players being used as returners. Part of it will depend on whether they want use him as a franchise RB (i.e. 20-25 carries a game) or just as a utility playmaker (i.e. 12-15 carries a game, 20-25 snaps lined up at WR, punt returns etc. anything just to get the ball in his hands). I think if you use the #1 pick and that much money on him you've got to be leaning more towards the franchise RB side of the spectrum, however, as of this moment we have Philip Buchanon and Jerome Mathis that should be able to handle punt returns for us, so I don't see us needing Bush to do it.

JAXwithanX
03-18-2006, 01:20 AM
and i definitely think that the weakside DE job will be babins. peek is overhyped only bc he hits hard. he is dumb as a rock in the run defense.

Amen. and some people wouldn't want to give him up for a first rounder from the Pats....there is some ridiculous love for this guy around here.

run-david-run
03-18-2006, 01:53 AM
Umm, happen to watch the NFC Championship game? How about any Panthers game? Who was that returning punts? Steve Smith you say? The same Steve Smith who was the best receiver in football (and the only receiver the Panther have)?

The best player should get the job, after all, Reggie can score from ANYWHERE!!!:superman:

(How many people do you think got the bitter sarcasm in that last sentence?)