PDA

View Full Version : 16% of '02 selections still with team

Eyeguy
03-16-2006, 05:39 PM
We had 13 players selected in the 2002 college draft and 19 selections in the expansion draft from the same year.
Only 4 draft choices and 1 expansion selection remain with the team.
I think this represents a complete failure in our personel department. Any chance we had to use the extra picks and expansion draft were wasted! If you expect this years selections to be any diffrent, you are setting yourself up for a major disappointment.
With the execption of R. Bush (CC can't screw that up) this off season is shaping up to be as much of a failure as the past.
As long as CC thinks he is smarter than anyone else in the room, we will always select average players much higher than necessary. ( Pitts, Babin, ect.)
I am hopeful that Mr. McNair and D. Reeves flex their muscle on draft day and reign in C.C. as to prevent the Texans from further decay and slowing our comeback.

gg no re
03-16-2006, 05:46 PM
Can you tell us the percentage of '02 draftees still with their team?

Statistics are effective if they're not obviously skewed or one-sided.

kcwilson
03-16-2006, 05:51 PM
Can you tell us the percentage of '02 draftees still with their team?

Statistics are effective if they're not obviously skewed or one-sided.

Better yet, they are only relevant in the context of similar situations, so to say that the expansion draft was a failure, you would have to do a similar comparison to the Jags or Panthers expansion draft.

I am not saying I agree/disagree, only that there needs to be a baseline since it is not a standard measurement we all make everyday.

The greater failure my guess would be on subsequent drafts to '02 and not '02 itself.

Porky
03-16-2006, 05:53 PM
I would be curious to know the league wide avg, which of course would take a lot of leg work. But, I agree with the final analysis, which is that CC sucks at drafting players, especially in rounds 2 and 3, although I thought TJ was a terrible pick in rd 1 last yr as well....although in the new D, hopefully he can still be a good pick. Bottom line is this guy should be looking for work somewhere. Get him the hell away from this team before he screws it up anymore than he has already.:brickwall

Runner
03-16-2006, 06:16 PM
There is a funny thing about the Casserly bashing. He and the coaching staff didn't see eye to eye on a lot of things. In many cases, a lot of the complaints we have posted here about the coaching staff are probably the same things that Casserly didn't agree with. In other words, a lot of posters here agreed with Casserly about the coaching decisions, but many think he is incompetent even though they agree with him in many cases.

I wish he had the stones to fire the coaches last year; if he had the authority. That is my problem with him - not making the coaches change their ways.

Double Barrel
03-16-2006, 06:20 PM
Interesting stat. But I'm very curious what percentages other teams have from their previous drafts.

Of course, being an expansion, we had more picks, but there simply wasn't a whole lot of talent out there.

While I'm not a Casserly homer, I'm reserving my final judgement on him until after this next season. Let's see if it truly was a coaching failure and if some of his previous picks live up to the potential he and his staff saw in them.

Hookem Horns
03-16-2006, 06:31 PM
Casserly sucks no matter how you slice it. If all the horrible picks and decisions were made by the coaches and Casserly disagreed with all of them, then he should have flexed his GM muscle and put his foot down. So either he is a wimpa** without the nads to make sure the right decisions are being made, or he is flat out responsible for all the bad decisions that have been made. I honestly think it is a good mixture of both. Either way, the final results of his work speak for themselves.

Ihategeeks
03-16-2006, 06:36 PM
02 was a horrible draft.

Runner
03-16-2006, 06:40 PM
Interesting stat. But I'm very curious what percentages other teams have from their previous drafts.

Of course, being an expansion, we had more picks, but there simply wasn't a whole lot of talent out there.

While I'm not a Casserly homer, I'm reserving my final judgement on him until after this next season. Let's see if it truly was a coaching failure and if some of his previous picks live up to the potential he and his staff saw in them.

The Milford Brown signing by the Cardinals was interesting to me. They seem to have him projected as a starter - we'll see about that at the start of the season. They have a mammoth tackle over there. Putting those two side by side could generate some good run blocking. After watching last year I would have started him at guard over McKinney when Hodgdon moved to center.

TheTim5125
03-16-2006, 06:45 PM
you really think our 02' selections were i disagree... i mean boselli bomb.. some other guys yeah but we did go 7-9 two years ago.. in only our 3rd year i wouldn't consider that all a failure

aj.
03-16-2006, 07:03 PM
The only tradition that this franchise has developed in its formative years is a tradition of bad drafts and bad decisions in free agency.

thegr8fan
03-16-2006, 08:06 PM
The only tradition that this franchise has developed in its formative years is a tradition of bad drafts and bad decisions in free agency.-aj
Preach it brother. :redtowel:

aj.
03-16-2006, 08:06 PM
Stop quoting me.

chuckm
03-16-2006, 08:44 PM
birds of a feather

Big B Texan Fan
03-16-2006, 08:49 PM
birds of a feather
Shoes made of leather

SESupergenius
03-17-2006, 06:51 AM
And how is it that Capers is gone and our team is still doing terrible in free agency? The common factor = Charlie Casserly. Bring back Capers!

Texans Horror
03-17-2006, 08:25 AM
Yes. Casserly & Co. has really screwed things up.

What they should/should have done is make this the starting line-up:

QB: Vince Young
Backup: Drew Brees
RB: Reggie Bush
Line shakeups: Ferguson, Mangold, Winston, Hutchinson, and Bentley (why didn't we pick him up? just cause he only had eyes for Cleveland? Curse, you, Front Office!):brickwall
DE: Mario Williams
TE: Davis
WR: TO
LBs: LaVarr Arrington, Julian Peterson
CB: Ty Law

I mean, seriously - what were we thinking not assembling these guys? Oh, wait. There's a little thing called salary cap...

I'll stop venting and get off the soapbox now. :soapbox:

Runner
03-17-2006, 08:31 AM

Line shakeups: Ferguson, Mangold, Winston, Hutchinson, and Bentley (why didn't we pick him up? just cause he only had eyes for Cleveland? Curse, you, Front Office!):brickwall

I mean, seriously - what were we thinking not assembling these guys? Oh, wait. There's a little thing called salary cap...

You're no better than Casserly. You forgot to fix our glaring need at safety. Don't you even watch the games?

TD
03-17-2006, 08:33 AM
Some stats for comparison: LINK (http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/7236355)

Fifty-four percent of the players drafted in 1999 are still playing in the NFL.
61 percent from 2000
77 percent from 2001
84 percent from 2002
95 percent from 2003

Doesn't say how many are still with the team that drafted them, but I would bet we're below the average.

***edit***OOPS. Thats as of 2004. From the data though, I would guess that it is probably still over 50% for a 3 year old draft.

Texans Horror
03-17-2006, 08:37 AM
You're no better than Casserly. You forgot to fix our glaring need at safety. Don't you even watch the games?

If you would look at the list, you would see that the point was never to fill holes, but to bring in big names and bigger salaries.

Runner
03-17-2006, 08:40 AM
If you would look at the list, you would see that the point was never to fill holes, but to bring in big names and bigger salaries.

I tri not to reed posts before I slam them with pre-conceived notions. :rolleyes:

touttail
03-17-2006, 08:46 AM

No way could we even get VY and Bush under the cap, much less the rest of the players mentioned. That would be a helluva roster.
Man, could you imagine having Bush at RB and Young at QB on the same team.AWESOME! Talking about an offensive powerhouse!!!
One thing for sure, I did renew my season tickets, and will be there yelling my head off for whatever team they put on the field!:yahoo:

Bobby 119C

thunderkyss
03-17-2006, 09:27 AM
hmmm.. we've been through 4 drafts..... We've got Dunta, Carr, AJ, Domanick, Mathis, Pitts, Morency, Weary, Seth Wand,

Free Agents......
Derrick Armstrong..... McKinney....... Marcellus Rivers.... Seth Payne.... Robair Smith.... Greenwood.... Polk

Draft Picks that may be starting with other teams....
Gaffney....... Brown.....

Overall, I think talent wise, we've done pretty good. I personally don't like the money most of these guys are getting, but...... I don't understand that end of things all together. This on paper, is a pretty solid core of talent..... nothing too flashy, nothing special.

I think this years draft would be perfect to add a couple of starr picks, when you consider what we've done in FA..... an explosive running back/LB, Safety... I think we need more play makers on the Defensive side of the ball, than we do on offense, but overall.. the drafts, the fA acquisitions..... aren't bad.

You're not going to find a Deltha O'Neil in every draft...... or FA........ PBuch will be fine. he's not a shutdown corner, wasn't worth the price we paid, but he's solid. Improve the past rush, get a safety, he'll look a lot better.

Kaiser Toro
03-17-2006, 09:32 AM
02 was a horrible draft.

I feel your pain brutha.

Eyeguy
03-17-2006, 09:36 AM
Some stats for comparison: LINK (http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/7236355)

Fifty-four percent of the players drafted in 1999 are still playing in the NFL.
61 percent from 2000
77 percent from 2001
84 percent from 2002
95 percent from 2003

Doesn't say how many are still with the team that drafted them, but I would bet we're below the average.

***edit***OOPS. Thats as of 2004. From the data though, I would guess that it is probably still over 50% for a 3 year old draft.

2002 draft

Carr, Grffeny, Pitts, Weary, Wells, Walkers, Fa**ins still active in NFL

Hill, White, Miller, Green, out of NFL

Baxter not sure if still playing

66% of "02 pick still in NFL

Runner
03-17-2006, 09:44 AM
How many years of expereince did each team average on their roster when each class was selected? I'd think rookies playing next to a lot of 1 and 2 year players have a harder time making it in the league.

Eyeguy
03-17-2006, 09:52 AM
[QUOTE=Runner]How many years of expereince did each team average on their roster when each class was selected? I'd think rookies playing next to a lot of 1 and 2 year players have a harder time making it in the league.
QUOTE]
I think it would be easier for rookies to make an expansion team and get exposure in the league. We started several rookies on offense our 1st year. It is harder to get playing time on an established team with vets who have played for that team for years.

Runner
03-17-2006, 09:57 AM
I think it would be easier for rookies to make an expansion team and get exposure in the league. We started several rookies on offense our 1st year. It is harder to get playing time on an established team with vets who have played for that team for years.

Not if the rookie comes in and looks bad because the guys surrounding him are bad.