PDA

View Full Version : Receiver depth?

Cjeremy635
03-16-2006, 09:02 AM
I might not be seeing this in the right light, but doesn't it seem like we are running extremely thin at the receiver spot now? For the last year or two we have been saying we need a legitimate #2 receiver, now it looks like we need a #2 and #3 at the least. I know everyone is hoping that Mathis comes along, and I believe he has great potential, but at the most it only fills one of those spots (barring injury to another starter).
I'm just a little concerned here, still putting my faith in the staff, but I don't want to see another debacle like last year.

texasguy346
03-16-2006, 09:07 AM
I think Armstrong can take over Gaffney's role in the offense, and Mathis should at least get a shot to look as bad as Bradford did. All that being said I still suspect the Texans will take a WR in the draft if they don't pick one up via FA. I'd suspect they'd take one early in the second day.

Corrosion
03-16-2006, 09:16 AM
Bradford and Gaffeny are gone ..... They were the second and third recievers . The Texans have signed Kevin Walter to an offer sheet that the Bungles have until Sunday to match .... which if they dont Walter can fill one of those spots . Armstrong and Mathis should get a shot at filling the other spot .

But all this leaves the Texans rather Young and In-experienced at the WR positions .... The other recievers on the Texans roster .... Kendrick Starling and Donovan Morgan . I'd count on another FA signing or a possible mid to late round draft pick.

BuffSoldier
03-16-2006, 09:29 AM
Hopefully Carr will work with Mathis all off-season. If he can learn to catch 80% of the passes that hit his hands, he will have made progress and he will already be above Bradfords average of like 50%.:brickwall

YoungTexanFan
03-16-2006, 09:39 AM
Hopefully Carr will work with Mathis all off-season. If he can learn to catch 80% of the passes that hit his hands, he will have made progress and he will already be above Bradfords average of like 50%.:brickwall

Don't quote me, but 80% seems like it would be above most people's average.

But I also hope they work together this offseason to develop that deep route timing.

ArlingtonTexan
03-16-2006, 09:42 AM
Even with Andre Johnson and assuming the signing of Kevin Walters, the Texans will have one the least proven and least talented WR situations in the NFL. Does not mean that Walters, Mathis or Armstrong can't step up and show to be quality NFL players, but this is not exactly giving a QB weapons to work with.

Frills
03-16-2006, 09:45 AM
With the lack of depth we have, it looks more now its Vince/Reggie.

Both could be used as WR in 3-4 WR formations

barzilla
03-16-2006, 09:51 AM
It also could be that Gaffney and Badford didn't fit what Kubes wants to do. Maybe when he looked at tape he discovered things that he didn't like (like dropping excessive amounts of balls or not being able to get open). When you're 2-14 you have a ton of holes. We will be lucky to effectively fill a half to two-thirds of holes. If we have a weak recieving core we have a weak recieving core. We can feel better in that we will have a better running game, tight end, and hopefully pass blocking.

Toxicology
03-16-2006, 10:23 AM
i think this shows (1) the texans believe their former WR's were crap, (2) there's not much WR talent in FA because teams are handing our weak WR's money; (3) Kubiak will emphasize the TE, FB and Reggie Bush in the offense.

Putzier is a good receiver allegedly. He might be able to work the middle to give AJ space. Likewise, Cook will be used in the flat. Mathis will hopefully be able to extend defenses vertically and AJ will be used in multiple sets with different routs.

I'm shocked that the Texans have not addressed the O'Line, but rather have brought back McKinney. I don't believe they have the luxury of banking on coaching alone. They will take OL and TE with a 2nd and 3rd round pick, the order of which depends on best available at those positions, which are incredibly deep in this draft. With Bush, OL and TE on Day 1, and the implementation of a new (and more effective, allegedly) offensive scheme, the offense should be officially stamped as "re-vamped." We'll see if that's true.

Hardcore Texan
03-16-2006, 10:39 AM
I agree if we don't get a WR in FA, we will most likely draft a mid-rounder. I don't think the situation is that dire though. If we get a good pass catching TE (Putzier?) that will help out. But I think Armstrong is going to produce for us this year, what little action he did see I thought he looked pretty good. Mathis should continue to develope. If Walters comes in, we will be in decent shape.

Who knows what we will do that pesky #1 pick, maybe we will pick one up in a trade down scenario?

the wonger need food
03-16-2006, 11:22 AM
This is another indication that they are taking Bush. I'm guessing that a lot of their game planning will include Reggie lined up outside.

humbleone
03-16-2006, 11:29 AM
This is another indication that they are taking Bush. I'm guessing that a lot of their game planning will include Reggie lined up outside.

Ditto. Looks like they are setting up to go Bush, then take the BA OL with the 33rd...no D'Brick, Mario or "the Duke" Davis.

GoBlue
03-16-2006, 11:51 AM
Mathis will make us forget Bradford by MiniCamp. I think we have seen enough sure-handed play from Derrick Armstrong that he will make us foget about Gaffney. When you add Bush into the equation out receiving corps is not any worse than last year. That being said I'd still like to see them get Jason Avant if he's still avail at the top of round 3. After we take Bush #1 we simply have to take the best OL available at the top of round 2.

rafterticket
03-16-2006, 12:54 PM
Mathis will make us forget Bradford by MiniCamp. I think we have seen enough sure-handed play from Derrick Armstrong that he will make us forget about Gaffney. When you add Bush into the equation our receiving corps is not any worse than last year. That being said I'd still like to see them get Jason Avant if he's still avail at the top of round 3. After we take Bush #1 we simply have to take the best OL available at the top of round 2.

Don't forget Donovan Morgan either. He didn't look too bad when they were giving him some balls. I just hope it wasn't an illusion since the team looked so unbelievably bad last year.