PDA

View Full Version : Forget about Gaffney........

thunderkyss
03-16-2006, 07:45 AM
........ He's an Eagle (http://rds.yahoo.com/S=53720272/K=jabar+gaffney/v=2/SID=w/l=NSR/R=1/;_ylt=A9iIgKTkaRlEIm0BxRzQtDMD;_ylu=X3oDMTBjMHZkMj ZyBHBvcwMxBHNlYwNzcg--/SIG=13johoj1d/EXP=1142602596/*-http%3A//www.aberdeennews.com/mld/inquirer/sports/14108715.htm?source=rss&channel=inquirer_sports).

The Eagles added a starting wide receiver last night when they agreed to a one-year deal with unrestricted free agent Jabar Gaffney, who started 50 of 64 games during his four seasons with the Houston Texans.

Details of the deal were not immediately available. It remains to be seen if he will move into the starting lineup with the Eagles, who also have receivers Reggie Brown, Todd Pinkston, Greg Lewis, Billy McMullen and Darnerien McCants on the roster. McCants also signed a one-year deal yesterday.

texasguy346
03-16-2006, 07:49 AM
Looks like he'll definately be a starter for the Eagles. Good luck to him. I think Reid will find ways to utilize him more effectively than he was used here.

Coach C.
03-16-2006, 07:52 AM
I am very happy for Gaff. He will finally go to a place where he can succeed. He will excel in the Eagles organization if he comes in with something to prove. He is a nice compliment to Reggie Brown and a possible high round rookie speedster. McMullen, Pinkston, and McCants are not overly good. Lewis is a speedster, but very situational and inconsistent.

BuffSoldier
03-16-2006, 07:56 AM
Well good for my boy Gaffney, too bad we couldnt see him back as a Texan though.

Texans34Life
03-16-2006, 07:58 AM
Wow, now that we lost Gaffney, our receivers are:

AJ
Mathis
Armstrong
.....and some guy named Donovan Morgan?? :brickwall

What the hell is Cass going to do? :brickwall :confused:

the wonger need food
03-16-2006, 08:03 AM

AJ
Mathis
Armstrong

We still have Kendrick Starling!

thunderkyss
03-16-2006, 08:03 AM

AJ
Mathis
Armstrong

Draft a Reciever.

Texans_Chick
03-16-2006, 08:27 AM
Hmmm, I wonder what that does to the value of my Jabar Gaffney autographed football? :twocents:

Super nice guy and I think that he will do well with a new start. The Eagles got him at a good time--WR take a little time to season and he should be getting into the peak of his playing ability.

HJam72
03-16-2006, 08:31 AM
We'll live, but that kind of sucks.

thunderkyss
03-16-2006, 08:33 AM
Hmmm, I wonder what that does to the value of my Jabar Gaffney autographed football? :twocents:

Super nice guy and I think that he will do well with a new start. The Eagles got him at a good time--WR take a little time to season and he should be getting into the peak of his playing ability.

he's a great #2 guy....... in Philly, he'll be there #1. With Donovan healthy, he might even look like a #1...... hold on to that football.

texan279
03-16-2006, 08:36 AM
I seriously doubt he'll be the #1 WR in Philly...

YoungTexanFan
03-16-2006, 08:37 AM
I am very happy for Gaff. He will finally go to a place where he can succeed. He will excel in the Eagles organization if he comes in with something to prove. He is a nice compliment to Reggie Brown and a possible high round rookie speedster. McMullen, Pinkston, and McCants are not overly good. Lewis is a speedster, but very situational and inconsistent.

Don't they also have that first round WR from last year still, Troy Williamson? or is that the Vikings?

YoungTexanFan
03-16-2006, 08:37 AM
he's a great #2 guy....... in Philly, he'll be there #1. With Donovan healthy, he might even look like a #1...... hold on to that football.

They wouldnt sign him to be their #1. He is their #2 or #3 guy and will excell.

texan279
03-16-2006, 08:38 AM
Don't they also have that first round WR from last year still, Troy Williamson? or is that the Vikings?

Vikings

nunusguy
03-16-2006, 08:44 AM
As BD used to say, "The Times They Are A-Changin'". But Gaff was what,
the second player taken in our inaugural college Draft after DC ? So he's been
with us since the outset of our still very young organizations history.
Good Luck in Philly Gaff !

YoungTexanFan
03-16-2006, 08:48 AM
Vikings

Ok. Thank you.

Texans34Life
03-16-2006, 08:50 AM
Draft a Reciever.

Who?

Kaiser Toro
03-16-2006, 08:50 AM
Hate not to see him in a Texans uniform, but best of luck to Gaff as I believe his best days are ahead of him.

the wonger need food
03-16-2006, 08:51 AM
Gaff was a good guy. I ran into him right before the '02 and we talked for about 5 minutes. Really down-to-earth and genuine.

Little known (self proclaimed) factoids about Jabar:

- His nickname at Florida was "The Reaper"
- He is faster than Bradford

barzilla
03-16-2006, 08:55 AM
Given that the club made very little effort to retain him I guess they felt he wouldn't fit the new offense. I wouldn't rule out the club signing another free agency later on in free agency when the June 1st cuts come.

66cobra
03-16-2006, 08:56 AM
I am going to miss Gaff and his almost automatic 1st downs (didn't he always seem to get the first down on his reception).

Thunderkyss, I have'nt forgotten about you on the Vince Young/Longhorn DVDs. Being a coach and a dad, I just have been real busy of late. Sorry about the delay...

thunderkyss
03-16-2006, 09:06 AM
Who?

??

I don't know..

chuckm
03-16-2006, 09:09 AM
Little known (self proclaimed) factoids about Jabar:

- He is faster than Bradford

I could be wrong but Bradford seemed a lot faster than Gaffney

AGILITY TESTS
4.56 in the 40-yard dash …
4.06 20-yard shuttle …
6.87 three-cone drill

http://ww2.nfl.com/draft/2002/profiles/gaffney_jabar.htm
(the above link is dead, you'll need to view Google's cached version)

TommyS
03-16-2006, 09:10 AM
from the Eagles front page...

Let's Take Quick Look At Wide Receiver Spots
March 16 -- Two moves in two days to change the complexion of the Eagles' wide receiver corps. On Wednesday the Eagles re-signed Darnerien McCants, a big-bodied wide receiver who worked his butt off in trying times last year to deserve another look. On Thursday, the team agreed to terms with young veteran Jabar Gaffney, who should get you excited a little bit. He's young, he's experienced, he has quick feet, he's fast and he put up some pretty good numbers in a Houston offense that often struggled to cobble together three plays in a row that actually moved forward.

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/default.jsp

Honoring Earl 34
03-16-2006, 09:15 AM
We could afford to lose Gaffney , pretty soon we'll have a new reciever/RB in the fold .

infantrycak
03-16-2006, 09:17 AM

You're not wrong--Bradford is a lot faster than Gaffney. Bradford is a college track guy living on speed in the NFL.

bigtex77
03-16-2006, 09:17 AM
We could afford to lose Gaffney , pretty soon we'll have a new reciever/RB in the fold .

Shhh... the VY lovers are sleeping still, don't wake them.

bad
03-16-2006, 09:18 AM

AJ
Mathis
Armstrong

What the hell is Cass going to do? :brickwall :confused: Draft Reggie Bush, who has been known to line up at WR and wreak havoc on defenses. AJ, Mathis, Armstrong, D.D. and Carr will all benefit from the mismatches Bush will create.

Has nobody here seen Reggie catch a football? He has outstanding hands, runs precise, blazing routes and never gives up on a play. Between Bush, Johnson and Mathis the Texans will have opposing secondaries playing back on their heels.

thunderkyss
03-16-2006, 09:25 AM
Just like the philly article just stated. With what Gaffney had to work with, he was really pretty good, can only get better, as the line and Carr get better. We had him, should've done everything we could to keep him.

Reggie and the TE would be great, for a running team..... nothing wrong with that.. I like that... but Gaffney & AJ spreading the field with Reggie in the backfield........ we'd have been a big play team, that you can never count out of a game. Of course, we still have Mathis, & Armstrong who might develope into that same kind of threat...

Maddict5
03-16-2006, 09:29 AM
??

I don't know..

theres a load of big,fast wrs that will be there in the 3rd/4th round- i see us taking 1 of them now- brandon marshall,avant, stovall etc. 1 will surely be there

Hardcore Texan
03-16-2006, 09:31 AM
I hope he does well there (except when we play them), I think he will fit into their system nicely.

I hope the Walter thing comes through now for sure, don't think we will land Moulds are anyone else like that. It would be nice if we did.

thunderkyss
03-16-2006, 09:32 AM
Draft Reggie Bush, who has been known to line up at WR and wreak havoc on defenses. AJ, Mathis, Armstrong, D.D. and Carr will all benefit from the mismatches Bush will create.

Has nobody here seen Reggie catch a football? He has outstanding hands, runs precise, blazing routes and never gives up on a play. Between Bush, Johnson and Mathis the Texans will have opposing secondaries playing back on their heels.

Did you see Gaffney in College??

The NFL is different for all players, not just QB. Let's see Reggie get jammed at the line by a LB, then picked up by the safety.... Let's see Reggie hold onto the ball as Lynch or Roy breath down his neck. Let's see Reggie get behind a DB first. Nothing against Reggie, but Having Gaffney & AJ on the field would help him out just as much as Reggie would help them.

chuckm
03-16-2006, 09:34 AM
The NFL is different for all players, not just QB. Let's see Reggie get jammed at the line by a LB, then picked up by the safety.... Let's see Reggie hold onto the ball as Lynch or Roy breath down his neck. Let's see Reggie get behind a DB first. Nothing against Reggie, but Having Gaffney & AJ on the field would help him out just as much as Reggie would help them.

I'll be on the edge of my seat .....

Honoring Earl 34
03-16-2006, 09:38 AM
:drool: Reggie Bush is a highly skilled player who is a great athelete . I'm not a big proponent of taking Bush but you have got to recogize his talents .

I think Reggie will run about a 4.3 forty , Mathis ran a 4.28 , and AJ goes below 4.4 at 219 lbs . I think if you can get all three on the field at the same time the Texans will have speed like no ones ever had to face before . Then we have Bennie or another TE who can be a threat as a reciever and now we actually scare folks . WOW if we only block .

the wonger need food
03-16-2006, 09:41 AM

AGILITY TESTS
4.56 in the 40-yard dash
4.06 20-yard shuttle
6.87 three-cone drill

http://ww2.nfl.com/draft/2002/profiles/gaffney_jabar.htm
(the above link is dead, you'll need to view Google's cached version)

That's why they're self proclaimed factoids. I seriously doubt that anyone called him "The Reaper" either.

big homey
03-16-2006, 09:52 AM
I'm disappointed we didn't re-sign him because I didn't want to count on Mathis/Armstrong/a rookie to start. After I came to terms with us getting Bush, I visualized an offense of Bush, Gaffney, AJ, Mathis, DD, Cook, and Armstrong (not all at the same time) tearing up the field. Are there any other FA WR's out there, or do we have to draft one?

Johnny Utah
03-16-2006, 09:57 AM
Reche Caldwell WR - 2nd round
Ike Hilliard WR - 1st round
Darrell Jackson WR - 3rd round
Taylor Jacobs WR - 2nd round
Travis Taylor WR - 1st round
Jabar Gaffney WR - 2nd round

Besides Darrell Jackson, Jabar was just another over-rated Florida WR.

If Chad Jackson falls to the Texans in the 2nd I would avoid him like the plague.

zeplin
03-16-2006, 10:05 AM
I really think we will live to regret this one. I allways felt he was a starter. While we courted Givens we loose Gafney. Man this bothers me. Comon Gary we need OL.:homer:

thunderkyss
03-16-2006, 10:07 AM
Reche Caldwell WR - 2nd round
Ike Hilliard WR - 1st round
Darrell Jackson WR - 3rd round
Taylor Jacobs WR - 2nd round
Travis Taylor WR - 1st round
Jabar Gaffney WR - 2nd round

Besides Darrell Jackson, Jabar was just another over-rated Florida WR.

If Chad Jackson falls to the Texans in the 2nd I would avoid him like the plague.

Please tell me you aren't one of these David Carr didn't have a chance guys....

There's no way you can say that, and Jabar is overrated..... no way.

Matt_Alkire
03-16-2006, 10:11 AM
I'm happy to get Jabar.

Don't know a whole lot about his career in the NFL, but he was a solid player for the Gators and is cousins with Lito Sheppard.

I would imagine he'll be a slot guy for us while we play Pinkston at X and Reggie Brown at Z. Adds good depth and a guy who can catch 50 balls if needed to. Low risk, high reward with the 1 year contract.

With him grabbing 50 balls a season with Houston's instability at OLine I wonder if he can improve on those numbers even. I can't really comment intelligently on it as I don't get to watch much Texan's football in Philly.

@ Maddict...

No chance Maurice Stovall is there in the 3rd or 4th round. None. Brandon Marshall has really jumped up as well. Most people we've spoken to have him as a 2nd or early 3rd rounder.

Avant will be there though. Not much speed, but has great hands and is polished.

Johnny Utah
03-16-2006, 10:16 AM
Please tell me you aren't one of these David Carr didn't have a chance guys....

There's no way you can say that, and Jabar is overrated..... no way.

We'll see next year. Jabar is nothing more then a #3 NFL WR IMO.

jerek
03-16-2006, 10:17 AM
Damn it!

Gaff, we hardly knew ye ...

bigTEXan8
03-16-2006, 10:20 AM
I'm gonna miss him too. He wasn't my favorite WR, and the fact that he never turned around during the Buff game and the ball hit him right in the shoulder drove me nuts. But, irregardless, he was decent, and could have been better in a proper system. I guess he doesn't fit the system that Kubiak wants to put in place.

David's Busted Carr
03-16-2006, 10:23 AM
So not only we haven't acquired a solid #2 WR, we have now lost or #2 AND #3 WRs from last year.

David Carr must be thrilled. The poor guy gets blasted every year and takes the blame for everything. Then our management backs him up by NOT improving his OL, letting his #2 and #3 WRs walk, and not getting anyone to replace them. Geezz...

2 CENTS
03-16-2006, 10:27 AM
We Under Utilized Gaffney. Can't Blame him for leaving but the TEXANS should have made an EFFORT to RESIGN HIM!!! Now we have to DRAFT a WR. I would Draft a SLOT WR and START MAthis and AJ on outside.

HardCoreTxn
03-16-2006, 10:38 AM

AJ
Mathis
Armstrong

Morgan is another speedster like Mathis,.. looks like we are going to land Kevin Walter if Cincy doesnt match our offer.
sorry to see Gaffney go, he's a class act

the wonger need food
03-16-2006, 10:40 AM
Maybe Kubiak sees in Armstrong what a lot of us have seen along.

There are still some good WR's out there that would be a nice fit at #2.

Nate Burleson
Keyshawn
Reche Caldwell
Dez White
Troy Brown
Marc Boerigter
Ike Hilliard

bigTEXan8
03-16-2006, 10:42 AM
Maybe Kubiak sees in Armstrong what a lot of us have seen along.

There are still some good WR's out there that would be a nice fit at #2.

Nate Burleson
Keyshawn
Reche Caldwell
Dez White
Troy Brown
Marc Boerigter
Ike Hilliard

Heck...I didn't know Nate Burleson was let go. I wouldn't mind having him. That guy is pretty good.:redtowel:

thunderkyss
03-16-2006, 10:43 AM
Key, would be nice to see here. But I really hope he goes to Carolina, and take a serious stab at getting a ring.

Paragon Blue
03-16-2006, 10:48 AM
Morgan is another speedster like Mathis,.. looks like we are going to land Kevin Walter if Cincy doesnt match our offer.
sorry to see Gaffney go, he's a class act
Til when does Cincy have to match the offer sheet?

the wonger need food
03-16-2006, 10:49 AM
Burleson is restricted, but the with the Vikings cleaning house, ya never know.

El Amigo Invisible
03-16-2006, 10:50 AM
I just have a question about last year's draft. I do not know anything about how Travis Johnson has progressed but he looks alittle undersized. I was talking to some KC fans and they are so happy with Derek Johnson. They say that he is getting faster and stronger. I know we needed some fresh legs on the line but TJ does not seem to be very good. We have no linebackers! Ok , We have no quality linebackers and DJ seemed to be a solid pick OR we could have moved up a couple of spots and picked Mike Williams or Demarcus Ware.No quality WRs right now except AJ. I am just so confused about that bone head move on draft day last year. I am afraid that history will repeat itself this year.

Johnny Utah
03-16-2006, 10:53 AM
Heck...I didn't know Nate Burleson was let go. I wouldn't mind having him. That guy is pretty good.:redtowel:

He's restricted. I would like to get this guy too, but I imagine the Vikings will match our offer.

Ibar_Harry
03-16-2006, 10:53 AM
Actually TO is an interesting possibility. For one, he is going to find it hard to ask for a lot of money. On our team he would make AJ the number 2 receiver which I really feel is what AJ is. They will be more afraid of TO than AJ. Quite frankly, TO has the hands to receive from Carr. If you add Bush to the mix, then you have an awesome combination that would be downright scary. Throw in a little Mathis and you can drive the other team batty. The quesiton is TO ready to settle down. If you remember, it took Moss a long time, but he now fits in. I have a feeling that Kubiak, Shermon, et all, can handle TO. If we could bet TO for the Givens money, then we will have done well.

Another possibility is we trade down in the draft and take Davis. That would give us a freeky TE to go along with AJ.

El Amigo Invisible
03-16-2006, 10:54 AM
Nate stunk it up last season but so did all of their recievers.

TommyS
03-16-2006, 10:55 AM
We Under Utilized Gaffney. Can't Blame him for leaving but the TEXANS should have made an EFFORT to RESIGN HIM!!! Now we have to DRAFT a WR. I would Draft a SLOT WR and START MAthis and AJ on outside.

please, PLEASE stop with the random CAPITALS

Best regards,
The SPAG Brigade

the wonger need food
03-16-2006, 10:58 AM
I just have a question about last year's draft. I do not know anything about how Travis Johnson has progressed but he looks alittle undersized. I was talking to some KC fans and they are so happy with Derek Johnson. They say that he is getting faster and stronger. I know we needed some fresh legs on the line but TJ does not seem to be very good. We have no linebackers! Ok , We have no quality linebackers and DJ seemed to be a solid pick OR we could have moved up a couple of spots and picked Mike Williams or Demarcus Ware.No quality WRs right now except AJ. I am just so confused about that bone head move on draft day last year. I am afraid that history will repeat itself this year.

Didn't you post this in another thread???

To answer your question... Yes, Casserly and clowns blew this pick. But their excuse is that DJ didn't "fit the system". But neither did Shawn Merriman (I know, he went before they had a chance to pick him) or Lofa Tutupa or any other decent LB in the draft.

Championship NFL teams are built thru the draft, that's why this team has been a failure thus far.

Second Honeymoon
03-16-2006, 10:58 AM
So Gaffney is allowed to leave Houston after his rookie deal expires? This guy was the #33 pick in the draft. He was essentially a 1st rounder, but we didnt feel it important enough to keep him. One day Casserley will pay for all these decisions. We can now add Gaffney to the list of failed and wasted draft picks by Casserley.

Joppru
Gaffney
Babin (and all the picks used to trade up for him)
Ragone
Hollins
Wand
Milford Brown

Congratulations Casserley, you keep finding new ways to make your 5 years as GM of the Texans a total failure and an embarassment to your profession. Your mother must be proud...

p.s. Owens anyone?

doug from the woodlands

SESupergenius
03-16-2006, 10:59 AM
Gaffney couln't beat out Bradford for most of his tenure with the Texans, and Bradford was horrible here. It's time we shake up this offense, it's a good thing folks, but don't expect more that a 5-11 season.

Meloy
03-16-2006, 11:02 AM
I think Martin Nance OHIO 6'4" 212 lbs 4.33 will be available in 4th. He was injured last season but supposedly is ok now. Any body know this guy? John Harris said he'd be a good pick if avail in 4th.

thunderkyss
03-16-2006, 11:02 AM
Carr has been horrible here, for most of his tenure....... lets shake up this offense. it's a good thing folks, but don't expect to go 5-11.

eltoro
03-16-2006, 11:06 AM
Here we go again...let's turn this thread into an anti-Carr/VY thread. Give it up, please. Gaffney and Bradford were average at best...and Bush will be a much more reliable option!

beerlover
03-16-2006, 11:07 AM
Sinorice Moss would be an excellent replacement http://hurricanesports.collegesports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/moss_sinorice00.html

imagine not 1 but 2 Miami Hurricane WR's- http://media.scout.com/media/image/23/238840.jpg

keyfro
03-16-2006, 11:08 AM
the problem is we don't need to draft a reciever to take the double teams off of andre we need a proven veteran who can do that right away...it makes no sense to force andre through another season of double and triple teams...the problem is besides the two loud mouths (to and keyshawn) who else is out there that can do that...i know we signed kevin walter thinking he could compete for the number 2 reciever position but what happens when cinci matches the offer...we didn't get givens...we lost gaffney...kubiaks orginal plan may still be a bengal...bruce resigned...now what...casserly has had two offseasons now to obtain a veteran number 2 guy and once again looks like he has failed to do so

Johnny Utah
03-16-2006, 11:09 AM
Sinorice Moss would be an excellent replacement http://hurricanesports.collegesports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/moss_sinorice00.html

I love this guy, he's a Steve Smith clone. Can you imagine an offense next season with AJ, Moss, Mathis, and Bush. Gamebreakers everywhere.

Porky
03-16-2006, 11:11 AM
So Gaffney is allowed to leave Houston after his rookie deal expires? This guy was the #33 pick in the draft. He was essentially a 1st rounder, but we didnt feel it important enough to keep him. One day Casserley will pay for all these decisions. We can now add Gaffney to the list of failed and wasted draft picks by Casserley.

Joppru
Gaffney
Ragone
Hollins
Wand
Milford Brown

Congratulations Casserley, you keep finding new ways to make your 5 years as GM of the Texans a total failure and an embarassment to your profession. Your mother must be proud...

p.s. Owens anyone?

doug from the woodlands

Add to that Charles Hill, who couldn't even manage to make an expansion team and was a 3rd rd bust. So, we drafted a borderline first rd WR, and 4 yrs later let him walk for nothing, which essentially means blown pick. In four drafts, most with multiple picks, we have exactly ONE good player, and ONE decent player from rounds 2 and 3. Absouletely pathetic. And Mcnair somehow glosses over this, and keeps Casserly around another season. Mcnair is clueless, I am sorry to say, and if he doesn't start learning his lesson soon, us fans will have to suffer with mediocority at best for years to come.

El Amigo Invisible
03-16-2006, 11:12 AM
No Let's turn this into a DJ vs TJ thread.
I wish I had been around to hear the excuses. I hope TJ proves me wrong :pigfly:

the wonger need food
03-16-2006, 11:15 AM

Joppru
Gaffney
Ragone
Hollins
Wand
Milford Brown

p.s. Owens anyone?

doug from the woodlands

You left off Charles Hill, David Carr and maybe Dunta if he has another year like he had in 2005. If you look back at the Texans' 4 drafts it's hard to find more than 2 or 3 legitimate NFL starters. There's no secret behind the failures of this franchise.

El Amigo Invisible
03-16-2006, 11:18 AM
P- Burnt can not be cut? I was just wondering if we lose a ton of cash if we let him go or trade.

Second Honeymoon
03-16-2006, 11:19 AM
Add to that Charles Hill, who couldn't even manage to make an expansion team and was a 3rd rd bust. So, we drafted a borderline first rd WR, and 4 yrs later let him walk for nothing, which essentially means blown pick. In four drafts, most with multiple picks, we have exactly ONE good player, and ONE decent player from rounds 2 and 3. Absouletely pathetic. And Mcnair somehow glosses over this, and keeps Casserly around another season. Mcnair is clueless, I am sorry to say, and if he doesn't start learning his lesson soon, us fans will have to suffer with mediocority at best for years to come.

Jimmy Johnson said it last year during a pregame Fox NFL pre-game show. I cant get an exact quote but he called out Casserley for 4 years of bad drafting and at that time I thought Casserley was a shoo-in for the unemployment office. Casserley must have some very compromising photos of McNair in a safety deposit box somewhere because the 4 years of drafting (not to mention an abysmall record in FA) have been a total waste and literally an embarassment to other GMs out there. A retarded monkey could make better picks, and that is the main reason I dont want to trade down because at least with Bush he cant screw up multiple picks only one. I would love to see a site that grades NFL drafts and I guarantee the Texans are easily Bottom 3 for the past 4 years....and that CAN NOT be blamed on being an expansion team or having to overpay for FAs.

STOP THE EXCUSES
SIGN OWENS
DRAFT BUSH
LETS HAVE SOME FUN

doug from the woodlands

Honoring Earl 34
03-16-2006, 11:21 AM
I think we pick Brandon Marshall in the 4th . He is a 6'5 230 runs a 4.52 forty . He actually played safety his JR. year and led the team in interceptions .:redtowel:

run-david-run
03-16-2006, 11:35 AM
We will see just how good he can be, We are playing the NFC East this season....

thunderkyss
03-16-2006, 11:52 AM
Here we go again...let's turn this thread into an anti-Carr/VY thread. Give it up, please. Gaffney and Bradford were average at best...and Bush will be a much more reliable option!

You're going to replace 2 recievers who never had a chance with a Running Back??

I think someones been hitting the Madden Bong a little too often.

I didn't say anything about YKW........ alls I said, is that if you believe David didn't have a fair shot at QB, then you've got to believe the same about your WRs, who've put up decent #s(Gaffney vs Givens) (AJ is a ProBowler) in spite of not having anyone to get them the ball.

To think other wise is just silly.

jerek
03-16-2006, 11:54 AM
Gaffney couln't beat out Bradford for most of his tenure with the Texans, and Bradford was horrible here. It's time we shake up this offense, it's a good thing folks, but don't expect more that a 5-11 season.

I think that is a lame argument. "Couldn't beat out ..." this regarding the coaching staff that started Victor Riley at LT for six weeks.

I would not base Gaffney's evaluation on our previous staff's inability to utilize the guy.

O.G.
03-16-2006, 11:54 AM
I think Martin Nance OHIO 6'4" 212 lbs 4.33 will be available in 4th. He was injured last season but supposedly is ok now. Any body know this guy? John Harris said he'd be a good pick if avail in 4th.

I'd grab him, before the injury was projected late 1st, early second. Good hands, quick feet, not real polished on his route running but good pick up for the 4th.

thunderkyss
03-16-2006, 11:57 AM
You left off Charles Hill, David Carr and maybe Dunta if he has another year like he had in 2005. If you look back at the Texans' 4 drafts it's hard to find more than 2 or 3 legitimate NFL starters. There's no secret behind the failures of this franchise.

two of them are going to start for other teams.

Milfred Brown, and Jabar Gaffney. You really should count them as legit starters, if two other teams are picking them up to do so.

the wonger need food
03-16-2006, 12:03 PM
two of them are going to start for other teams.

Milfred Brown, and Jabar Gaffney. You really should count them as legit starters, if two other teams are picking them up to do so.

Maybe they will, but we don't really know yet. Either way, you can't really consider them bona fide NFL starting calibur players.

aj.
03-16-2006, 12:31 PM
To Eagles fans:

Gaffney is a good slot receiver with good hands. He's adept at finding soft spots in middle zones and is not afraid to go across the middle. He does not have great speed and rarely gets separation on most CBs when he's split wide. He's a good receiver who will be productive. Just don't look for him to streak by coverage or take a run and catch 40+ yards to the house. He's good at converting first downs.

Texans34Life
03-16-2006, 12:41 PM
??

I don't know..

Oh, you mentioned a receiver. I thought you had some people from the draft in mind.

gcolby
03-16-2006, 02:06 PM
Sigh... Well, good luck with that, Jabar. I remember driving home and hearing him get drafted as our second pick ever. I thought he'd be with us for more than four years. Maybe he got tired of waiting.

thunderkyss
03-16-2006, 02:11 PM
Join the Discussion (http://www.houstontexans.com/fan_zone/messageboards/showthread.php?t=19821)

thunderkyss
03-16-2006, 02:12 PM
Oh, you mentioned a receiver. I thought you had some people from the draft in mind.

No, up until now, I didn't think WR was going to be a concern in the Draft.

TexanFan881
03-16-2006, 02:26 PM
Let's trade with the Broncos our 1st and another pick for their two first this year and get Sinorice Moss with pick #22

texan279
03-16-2006, 04:11 PM
from www.kffl.com

Eagles | Gaffney likely competing for No. 2 WR spot
Thu, 16 Mar 2006 13:41:42 -0800

Len Pasquarelli, of ESPN.com, reports Philadelphia Eagles WR Jabar Gaffney figures to compete for the No. 2 receiver position.

bigTEXan8
03-16-2006, 04:14 PM
from www.kffl.com

Len Pasquarelli, of ESPN.com, reports Philadelphia Eagles WR Jabar Gaffney figures to compete for the No. 2 receiver position.

Well where does Brown and Pinkston fit into all that of their top 3.

thunderkyss
03-16-2006, 04:17 PM
from www.kffl.com

I really like Gaffney........ don't care much for any of Phillies recievers... I'm thinking he'll go in as there #2, and end up being their #1.. I don't think he's a #1, but I think he'll be their #1. Smith(a TE), & Westbrook(a running back) both lead the team in receptions, with 61...... 682/618 yards.... in 2005.

Coach C.
03-16-2006, 04:20 PM
Gaffney is TJ Housh with more speed. The guy is 6-1 and can catch the ball. Reggie Brown and Greg Lewis will be the deeper threats and Gaffney assuming he plays hard will be intermediate and short route guy. Meaning 70+ rec and close to or right over 1000yds.

Grid
03-16-2006, 04:27 PM
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

****!

texan279
03-16-2006, 04:28 PM
I really like Gaffney........ don't care much for any of Phillies recievers... I'm thinking he'll go in as there #2, and end up being their #1.. I don't think he's a #1, but I think he'll be their #1. Smith(a TE), & Westbrook(a running back) both lead the team in receptions, with 61...... 682/618 yards.... in 2005.

LINK (http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/homeNewsDetail.jsp?id=45839)

"Jabar has good hands and is a precise route runner," said head coach Andy Reid. "He has the ability to line up in the slot. We're excited to add him to the mix at the wide receiver position."

Maddict5
03-16-2006, 04:28 PM
No chance Maurice Stovall is there in the 3rd or 4th round. None. Brandon Marshall has really jumped up as well. Most people we've spoken to have him as a 2nd or early 3rd rounder.

Avant will be there though. Not much speed, but has great hands and is polished.

Ok. you may be right-im no expert i just know you have the 3 top guys-CJ,holmes and moss but there are other big decent receivers projected to go in the 2nd,3rd and 4th- and that surely 1 of them that i mentioned would fall to us in the 3rd/4th.
any other guys you like at these picks. theres 2 guys from Auburn(whose names i cant spell to hand) that have good size(6-1,6-2) that both ran very good 40's at the combine. however ive never seen them play so would be thankful if you could give any info on them to us:ok:

chuckm
03-16-2006, 04:29 PM
Ok. you may be right-im no expert

I don't care if you're an expert or not .... PUT BACK YOUR OTHER AVATAR IMMEDIATELY ....

tiger06
03-16-2006, 04:34 PM
Sad to see him go; I wished we would've utilized him more.

jdog
03-16-2006, 04:35 PM
The moves made so far make me think we are drafting Bush, and I think he will make what we have at wide receiver much better.

stevo3883
03-16-2006, 05:10 PM
Gaffney is TJ Housh with more speed. The guy is 6-1 and can catch the ball. Reggie Brown and Greg Lewis will be the deeper threats and Gaffney assuming he plays hard will be intermediate and short route guy. Meaning 70+ rec and close to or right over 1000yds.

haha I'll leave the board forever if Jabar Gaffney gets 1000+ yards next year.

what a wasted pick.

Maddict5
03-16-2006, 05:27 PM
I don't care if you're an expert or not .... PUT BACK YOUR OTHER AVATAR IMMEDIATELY ....

sorry man-she left. she felt like no1 was listening to her wants. nice to know shes missed though

Second Honeymoon
03-16-2006, 06:08 PM
You're going to replace 2 recievers who never had a chance with a Running Back??

I think someones been hitting the Madden Bong a little too often.

I didn't say anything about YKW........ alls I said, is that if you believe David didn't have a fair shot at QB, then you've got to believe the same about your WRs, who've put up decent #s(Gaffney vs Givens) (AJ is a ProBowler) in spite of not having anyone to get them the ball.

To think other wise is just silly.

Is it me or does this guy hit the nail on the head everytime. You rock Thunder. They cant have it both ways. It's not the receivers fault that David doesnt look downfield when he drops back. It's not the receivers fault that David telegraphs his passes and does a below average job working through his progressions. It's not the receivers fault that David doesnt get rid of the ball before the rush gets to him.

But it looks like the scapegoating continues.....we all know who is to blame for the current state of the franchise. Casserley holds the lion's share of the blame but I am starting to have to blame McNair a bit for being the enabler in this dysfunctional relationship....

It's not all David's fault but if you are going to apologize and re-evaluate David (while giving him fat $$) then why does that same logic not work for the other members of our offensive team/staff?

kcwilson
03-16-2006, 06:16 PM
But it looks like the scapegoating continues.....we all know who is to blame for the current state of the franchise. Casserley holds the lion's share of the blame but I am starting to have to blame McNair a bit for being the enabler in this dysfunctional relationship....

How about going one step further... I wonder if having Casserly, Kubiak, Reeves, and now former HC of GB Sherman in the kitchen is detrimental to the activity in FA. No doubt McNair will likely dip a toe in the water as well.

Casserly is to blame for the past, but going forward, it will be more difficult for us on the outside to know who wanted what and who prevented whom from doing whatever it was the other did or didn't want them to do or no do. This is eerily similar to government legislative proceedings with committe chairmen etc... and let's not forget, the opposite of pro- is con- so the opposite of progress is congress.

Marcus
03-16-2006, 08:03 PM
How about going one step further... I wonder if having Casserly, Kubiak, Reeves, and now former HC of GB Sherman in the kitchen is detrimental to the activity in FA. No doubt McNair will likely dip a toe in the water as well.

Casserly is to blame for the past, but going forward, it will be more difficult for us on the outside to know who wanted what and who prevented whom from doing whatever it was the other did or didn't want them to do or not do. This is eerily similar to government legislative proceedings with committee chairmen etc... and let's not forget, the opposite of pro- is con- so the opposite of progress is congress.

Well, 4 heads are better than one. And with the Casserly bashing going on, it would seem to me that all you obsessive negative nellies would appreciate a "GM by Committee".

Would it be a bad thing for Casserly, Kubiak, Reeves, and Sherman to put their heads together and make a decision?

(I can hardly wait.):rolleyes:

PapaL
03-16-2006, 08:36 PM
Well Florida Wrs haven't done much in the league lately, still kinda sad to see him go. I guess the real sad part is that in the next two years he'll win more game in Philly then he did his whole time with us. Best wishes to Gaff.

Yankee_In_TX
03-17-2006, 11:03 AM
We seem to have a WR gap to fill.....????

Kinda' one area I thought we could keep the same with a beefed up O Line and more time for Carr.....

powerfuldragon
03-17-2006, 11:37 AM
In the words of Darth Vader, "Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo."

TEXANS84
03-21-2006, 03:52 PM
Eagles | Gaffney wanted to play with Sheppard
Tue, 21 Mar 2006 12:45:38 -0800

Philadelphia Eagles WR Jabar Gaffney said that his decision to come to the Eagles was effected by wanting to play with his cousin, CB Lito Sheppard. "It was a big part of my decision," said Gaffney. "Knowing someone on the team, having a family member on the team will help out adjusting to the city and to the team. It will help out a lot."

Eagles | Gaffney hopes long-term deal evolves
Tue, 21 Mar 2006 12:45:34 -0800

Philadelphia Eagles WR Jabar Gaffney said that he doesn't plan on being with the team for just one year. "Once I got the deal, I signed the deal," said Gaffney. "My agent and the people upstairs worked that out. This is where I want to be at; I like it here and hopefully after this year I can get a long-term deal."