PDA

View Full Version : Excuse me if im totally off-base....OL?

newbiefan
03-15-2006, 11:53 AM
Why have patriot UFA's Stephen Neal, OG and Tom Ashworth, OT not ever come up when talking OL?

They are younger than other guys mentioned (29, 28 respectively) and come from a winning program.

Sarg01
03-15-2006, 01:19 PM
Yeah, you're off-base. Everyone knows how great our OLine is. :spy:

Besides, we don't want any Fraud Monitoring 'round here.

Seriously, though, I have no idea. Unless, perhaps, it's that they don't want to play for us.

2 CENTS
03-15-2006, 05:57 PM
If I was one of those guys I wouldn't consider going from a winner to a loser. I would take less money and stay put, That is probably why most Fans don't mention them. Kind of like DAVID GIVENS as much as I would have liked to see him here "I knew our real chances of getting him were SLIM to NONE". I like thinking we will get PUTZIER but I doubt it. If I played for DENVER I wouldn't want to play for HOUSTON I would just take less money and go to a team that had achance at winning. That is why I think we will end up with Schobel or a TE draft choice. Just my Opinion.
2 CENTS

66cobra
03-15-2006, 06:21 PM
Schoebel signed with the Browns, but I think we will get Putzier. If not, trade down and get Vernon Davis in the draft.

dirty steve
03-15-2006, 06:30 PM
Schoebel signed with the Browns, but I think we will get Putzier. If not, trade down and get Vernon Davis in the draft.

schobel signed with philly monday, and i am starting to get a major crush on vernon davis right now.

the wonger need food
03-15-2006, 06:42 PM
The line will be fine... they just need time to gel...

Mathis13
03-15-2006, 07:00 PM
I'm not against our O-line or anything but isnt that what people said last year.:challenge

touttail
03-15-2006, 07:43 PM
Why have patriot UFA's Stephen Neal, OG and Tom Ashworth, OT not ever come up when talking OL?

They are younger than other guys mentioned (29, 28 respectively) and come from a winning program.

We can't! All our FA money went to Rosenfel and Cook. Boy those were two FA we really needed on our roster. Know we couldn't have done without those two this year!:sarcasm:

Bobby 119C

mexican_texan
03-15-2006, 09:08 PM
Big time wrestler, great for run blocking, something we will do a lot next year.
did he not go to UT?

Runner
03-15-2006, 09:10 PM
I'm not against our O-line or anything but isnt that what people said last year.:challenge

I'm sure it was sarcasm.

Even so, the Texans didn't even give the line time to gel last year. They replaced a starter with Riley who clearly didn't have a good grasp of the scheme and didn't seem to interested in getting into playing shape.

Double Barrel
03-15-2006, 09:12 PM

Not really. Our line has always been sub-par, and there were questions at the end of the 2004 season, too. Over 200 sacks in four seasons is pretty telling of the o-line and QB.

kcwilson
03-16-2006, 12:30 AM
...the Texans didn't even give the line time to gel last year. They replaced a starter with Riley who clearly didn't have a good grasp of the scheme and didn't seem to interested in getting into playing shape.

Still some hoesl to fill on the OL, mainly the right side, RT in particular.... unless we go with what we had in Wiegert and Wade, maybe a T at the top of the 2nd might be a starter.

Runner
03-16-2006, 07:24 PM
Still some hoesl to fill on the OL, mainly the right side, RT in particular.... unless we go with what we had in Wiegert and Wade, maybe a T at the top of the 2nd might be a starter.

At the very least, Wand can play RT. Still I expect Wand at LT and Pitts at RT, if we can get a center somewhere. A center, not a tackle, at the top of the second would do nicely. If not, I would not be surprised to see Pitts move back inside. This is not a popular opinion on this board.

kcwilson
03-16-2006, 07:31 PM
At the very least, Wand can play RT. Still I expect Wand at LT and Pitts at RT, if we can get a center somewhere. A center, not a tackle, at the top of the second would do nicely. If not, I would not be surprised to see Pitts move back inside. This is not a popular opinion on this board.

Thoughts were the Hodgdon would anchor center, McKinney LG, Pitts LT, Wiegert tentative on RG and RT open, maybe Wand, Wade seems to be on the out. -McClain mentioned something about this

Runner
03-16-2006, 07:36 PM
Thoughts were the Hodgdon would anchor center, McKinney LG, Pitts LT, Wiegert tentative on RG and RT open, maybe Wand, Wade seems to be on the out. -McClain mentioned something about this

Yep - those are the thoughts of the board (in general). I don't think the coaches have set the line-up yet before free agency is over and before the draft. I imagine they'll want to consider their whole roster.

Hodgdon only played a little over two games last year on a bad line with a horrible offensive scheme. While he might be good enough, I'd hate to assume he is at this point. I'd like to see Mangold at #33 in the draft, but I don't have a lot of confidence in a rookie center either. I think training camp is where the line will be determined, not a McClain sidebar.

kcwilson
03-16-2006, 07:43 PM
Hodgdon only played a little over two games last year on a bad line with a horrible offensive scheme. While he might be good enough, I'd hate to assume he is at this point. I'd like to see Mangold at #33 in the draft, but I don't have a lot of confidence in a rookie center either. I think training camp is where the line will be determined, not a McClain sidebar.

Totally agree... in fact I think there will be some basic talent eval next week as well as picking of brains on OL philosophy and discussions about coverages etc that will send a lot of signals about what to do in phase 2 of FA and the draft... too early to slam the panic button on the OL.

I wish it was Sept.

jmerog
03-16-2006, 11:43 PM

Good one wonger! heeheehee. I didn't see the sarcasm icon but i'm sure you meant it to be there...right?

RB5
03-17-2006, 12:05 AM
I read Eslinger, Minnesota's center, and McNeil, tackle from Auburn, were both good in the zone blocking scheme. That's probably the direction I'd go in the second. Mangold would be a good pick as well. :twocents:

outofhnd
03-17-2006, 12:16 AM
We stil have money for Putzier otherwise he wouldnt be visiting sunday.

With a totally new blocking scheme I dont know what to expect from the offensive line.

Scooter
03-17-2006, 12:41 AM
i'm afraid our line's in trouble again unless we hit it hard during the draft (since it doesnt appear that we will during FA), and what scares me is that a lot of the board seems content with that. pitts, mckinney, hodgdon, weigert, and wand ... and maybe draft someone for the right side? hodgdon's a 5th round rookie who played for maybe 3 games. yes he's an upgrade over mckinney, but (i mean this literally) are there any centers WORSE than mckinney? this mckinney at lg thing has me baffled also because he was terrible there too ... it's just that he wasnt AS bad as at center. weigert's feet are gone, and wade's extremely slow too, neither are going to do well in this zone system and neither are any good at pass blocking. the only starter we have on the line is pitts, and possibly wand depending on what the new coach thinks.

i'm all in favor of drafting a LT because i think pitts is the perfect RT, and have been saying this for a while now. bookends. we also need to draft ATLEAST 1 interior line position early to get them working on the system sooner rather than later. remember kids, yes these linemen might not start right away, but it's better than drafting them 3 years from now and having to keep waiting (like we're doing now). let coach decide who's salvagable & who's not across the rest of the interior, but make no mistake that we need help there ... just because the season ended doesnt mean that these guys elevate from the worst line in football (for four consecutive years) to "they arent that bad".

Texans Horror
03-17-2006, 11:59 AM
Next year's starting linemen should not be considered in the draft. If you draft a lineman, you are looking at somebody who will probably be starting within a year or two.

Line needs to be addressed in FA, and yes, I have been disappointed so far to see that we have not gone after a center. It is the one major hole I hoped we would fill in FA.