PDA

View Full Version : Interest in Javon Walker

Sco-tai
03-15-2006, 11:34 AM
With Sherman on-board, would anything point to the Texans being interested in Javon Walker. Does anyone know if Sherman was a big supporter/reason why they drafted Javon?

Personally, I like Javon's speed, hands and overall route-running and definitely like the idea of him opposite AJ. Between those 2 guys, DD (and perhaps Reggie in the slot)....David would have have spectacular options. Throw in a TE that can catch and you have yourself a fun offense to watch and a great chance to win.

Any thoughts on if Javon is a good locker-room guy, too? I guess I could go to the Packer's board and ask them.

GO TEXANS!

KSig44
03-15-2006, 01:34 PM
Javon is a me/money first guy and did not get along with Sherman. Case closed.

big homey
03-15-2006, 01:38 PM
We thought Givens' price was too steep. How would we even think about signing Javon Walker, who was a holdout only last offseason?:pigfly:

mexican_texan
03-15-2006, 01:59 PM
We thought Givens' price was too steep. How would we even think about signing Javon Walker, who was a holdout only last offseason?:pigfly:
I was on his side for that. He was a Pro-Bowler playing for a little more than a half-million dollars. And then Favre messed him up.

PapaL
03-15-2006, 04:11 PM
Didnt he have Rosenhouse (sp?) as his agent? Who told him to holdout last year. After he didnt get his contract he fired Rosenhouse and got a new counsel? Any guy thats smart enough to get rid of Rosenhouse is OK in my book.

run-david-run
03-15-2006, 04:45 PM
Yes, as someone mentioned he went to the Pro Bowl and was earning barely above the league minimum. He held out, then got hurt on the first day of the season. I would love to have his talent, but he would be on the last year of his contract, meaning we would have to shell out #1 receiver money if we expect him to play for us.

KSig44
03-15-2006, 04:46 PM
It's pretty common knowledge from two years ago with him screaming for the ball and last years hold out. And while he does deserve a raise (incentive laden) he, year after year, is more worried about money than his team.

mexican_texan
03-15-2006, 05:10 PM
It's pretty common knowledge from two years ago with him screaming for the ball and last years hold out. And while he does deserve a raise (incentive laden) he, year after year, is more worried about money than his team.
true, but teams don't care about their players if they get hurt. A player can be loved one day and hated another. That's why Brady's $10 million was a "paycut" for the team.

gtexan02
03-15-2006, 05:21 PM

You're totally out of nowhere with these comments. The fact is, teams can cut you whenever they want, but players get labeled money grubbing if they want a new contract. Walker shouldn't have played for 500k last season, as if his injury had been more serious, he could have ended his career. A player alling for the ball is never a bad thing, either, especially when they turn it into his #s

mexican_texan
03-15-2006, 05:23 PM
You're totally out of nowhere with these comments. The fact is, teams can cut you whenever they want, but players get labeled money grubbing if they want a new contract. Walker shouldn't have played for 500k last season, as if his injury had been more serious, he could have ended his career. A player alling for the ball is never a bad thing, either, especially when they turn it into his #s
Exactly

BuffSoldier
03-15-2006, 10:23 PM

Very, very good point. After a pro-bowl season, half a million dollars isnt any were near the compensation he should get for what he wa doing on the field. If he got injured and could never play again, he wouldnt have very much to build from that contract.

Every one knows, any WR worth anything, gets mad when the ball doesnt come his way on a regular basis.

outofhnd
03-15-2006, 10:41 PM
Someone would outbid us for his services on the open market even if we were interested. I doubt we would be that interested in him.

TexanSam
03-20-2006, 04:43 PM
I think he wants his way out of Green Bay. He's coming off a serious injury last year, but if you were the Texans would you go after him? I don't know if Sherman has discussed it all, but the tie is there. I don't even know if the Texans are interested in him, but I'm sure they're exploring all options.

TexanFan881
03-20-2006, 04:46 PM
I wouldn't be suprised if we show some interest, we've been looking at practically all the WR free agents.

Grid
03-20-2006, 04:46 PM
I dont think we are interested. We recently canceled our visit with Burleson because we signed Walter. I think we are done with WRs this offseason.

TexanSam
03-20-2006, 04:49 PM
I dont think we are interested. We recently canceled our visit with Burleson because we signed Walter. I think we are done with WRs this offseason.

I hope not. Who's our #2 guy? I hope we at least get Hilliard. AJ, Hilliard, Walter as our #1,2, and 3 WRs is not bad. With Putzier at TE, Carr would finally have some weapons. Now if we can get a line that keeps him standing...

kiwitexansfan
03-20-2006, 04:51 PM
This guy sounds like another me first WR trying to get out of a contract. Plus he was seriously injured. Plus he would want a big fat shiny contract.

So that would be a no.:challenge

Grid
03-20-2006, 04:53 PM
our #2 will be Mathis, Armstrong, or Walter.

With Reggie Bush, Jameel Cook, Jeb Putzier(or another TE), and AJ on the field.. I think any of those three guys should be servicable as a #2 receiver.

kiwitexansfan
03-20-2006, 04:55 PM
I hope not. Who's our #2 guy? I hope we at least get Hilliard. AJ, Hilliard, Walter as our #1,2, and 3 WRs is not bad. With Putzier at TE, Carr would finally have some weapons. Now if we can get a line that keeps him standing...

Ike Hilliard is not a #2. This is his work for last year in a pretty average Tampa WR group

2005 Tampa Bay Buccaneers 35cathces 282yards 8.1average 22long 1TD

edo783
03-20-2006, 05:13 PM
IKE isn't coming, staying at TB. If I remember correctly (highly subjective) Walker and Sherman where not all that thrilled with each other. Could be wrong about it, but that's how I remember it.

kcwilson
03-20-2006, 05:54 PM

News was that we offered Hilliard a contract, one that was better than what he accepted to stay in TB.

Texans | Team made an offer to Hilliard
Mon, 20 Mar 2006 13:57:57 -0800
ESPN.com's John Clayton reports the Houston Texans made a contract offer to WR Ike Hilliard, before he re-signed with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. The offer was reportedly higher than the deal he accepted from the Buccaneers.

I wouldn't be surprised if we waited until after the draft to look at another veteran WR that may be a June release. The need is there for an additional WR.

Walker is a quality WR, but might be too much talent in a 2nd wr, given how we are going to be spending money on DDavis, Bush, Johnson, Carr, Putzier (hopefully).

2007 will be the interesting off season... that will be the tell tale sign as to whether or not be cut Domanick Davis and his contract for cap sapce if Bush pans out... Morency could be a third down back.

el toro
03-20-2006, 05:57 PM
Interesting. How much did Hilliard re-sign for?

kcwilson
03-20-2006, 06:23 PM
Interesting. How much did Hilliard re-sign for?

4 years... terms not available. Chances are we offered more per year, but 4 years sounds like al ot to invest into a 30 year old wr with mediocre production.

WILLIEG
03-20-2006, 06:29 PM
Walker is a very good receiver and we should look to picking him up. I think he's from Texas or even this area. He would be a great addition and all that stuff that happenend last year was blown way out of proportion. You can't blame a man for wanting to get paid a fair price for his level of talent.

pskinny
03-20-2006, 07:54 PM
our #2 will be Mathis, Armstrong, or Walter.

I doubt it. If you're right, we're in bad shape. None of these guys could scratch the starting lineup of any other NFL team. Look for us to sign a veteran, or use a first day picks on one.

If we can get Walker or Burelson for one of our 3rd round picks, we should jump on it. I'd rather use that pick on a young experienced WR rather than a rookie who might take 2-3 years to develop.

Grid
03-20-2006, 08:13 PM
I doubt it. If you're right, we're in bad shape. None of these guys could scratch the starting lineup of any other NFL team. Look for us to sign a veteran, or use a first day picks on one.

If we can get Walker or Burelson for one of our 3rd round picks, we should jump on it. I'd rather use that pick on a young experienced WR rather than a rookie who might take 2-3 years to develop.

Dont know what we have. Mathis has only had one season, Walter played behind 2 established stars, Armstrong was benched by an inept staff. Any of these guys could be a legitimate #2 receiver.

YoungTexanFan
03-20-2006, 08:15 PM
Dont know what we have. Mathis has only had one season, Walter played behind 2 established stars, Armstrong was benched by an inept staff. Any of these guys could be a legitimate #2 receiver.

I think only Mathis has a legitiment chance to be a #2 reciever in the league. Walter and Armstrong are both solid slot guys who can hold on to the ball.

TexanSam
03-20-2006, 08:22 PM
Walker is a very good receiver and we should look to picking him up. I think he's from Texas or even this area. He would be a great addition and all that stuff that happenend last year was blown way out of proportion. You can't blame a man for wanting to get paid a fair price for his level of talent.

I think it's the other Green Bay WR, Donald Driver, who's from the Houston area. Maybe Javon is too, but I'm pretty sure Driver is from Houston.

pskinny
03-20-2006, 09:15 PM

I'm not sold on any of those guys, and apparently neither is the current coaching staff. Walter seems to be up and coming, but he is less experienced than Gaffney, and only had 19 receptions last year. Armstrong didn't get playing time, becuase he lacks speed to be an every down WR. Maybe the coaching staff was inept, but I doubt he is an upgrade over Gaffney. Mathis is too raw and though he has the blazing speed, lacks the ability to run crisp routes required to create seperation between him and the corner (unless it's a fly pattern of course). I would bet on him last.

This leaves a huge hole at the 2nd WR position. With the interest the Texans have shown in Bruce, Givens, Burelson, and Hilliard, I doubt they are ready to go into training camp as is. There is alot of time left, and hopefully they make a run at Moulds or Walker if available. If not, June 1st cuts may yield a veteran willing to play here, and if still no luck, I imagine one of our 1st day picks will be used on a WR such as Stovall or Moss.

blockhead83
03-20-2006, 09:33 PM
I sincerely doubt we go after Moulds or Walker. They're both guys looking for large contracts, and seeing as we're not exactly title contenders we'd probably have to overpay on top of that. At this point I expect us to look for some older veterans to bring some experience to our WR corp and fill in the #2 spot, or use a first day pick on a WR with potential.

Mathis, Walter, and Armstrong would be mediocre in the 2 spot this year, IMO. All three could be decent in the slot, but Mathis is still entirely too green, from what I hear about Walter he's reliable but hasn't had much more than 20 catches a year, and Armstrong is an unknown commodity due to lack of play time. We may have to go with what we have and see if one of them can emerge as a reliable #2, but I'd feel much better if we had a more optomistic option heading into the season.

Grid
03-20-2006, 09:40 PM
I'm not sold on any of those guys, and apparently neither is the current coaching staff. Walter seems to be up and coming, but he is less experienced than Gaffney, and only had 19 receptions last year. Armstrong didn't get playing time, becuase he lacks speed to be an every down WR. Maybe the coaching staff was inept, but I doubt he is an upgrade over Gaffney. Mathis is too raw and though he has the blazing speed, lacks the ability to run crisp routes required to create seperation between him and the corner (unless it's a fly pattern of course). I would bet on him last.

This leaves a huge hole at the 2nd WR position. With the interest the Texans have shown in Bruce, Givens, Burelson, and Hilliard, I doubt they are ready to go into training camp as is. There is alot of time left, and hopefully they make a run at Moulds or Walker if available. If not, June 1st cuts may yield a veteran willing to play here, and if still no luck, I imagine one of our 1st day picks will be used on a WR such as Stovall or Moss.

I disagree..but its a pointless conversation right now. Ill wait till TC to roll around.

TexanFan881
03-20-2006, 09:46 PM
I sincerely doubt we go after Moulds or Walker. They're both guys looking for large contracts, and seeing as we're not exactly title contenders we'd probably have to overpay on top of that.

If we wouldn't sign Givens to his 5 year 25 million dollar contract, than why would we sign them. They're also both #1 WRs so I don't see them wanting to come here and play #2. I definately agree with you on that.

pskinny
03-20-2006, 09:56 PM
If we wouldn't sign Givens to his 5 year 25 million dollar contract, than why would we sign them. They're also both #1 WRs so I don't see them wanting to come here and play #2. I definately agree with you on that.

Because Givens wasn't worth the money, these guys are. Moulds is older and won't get a 5 year deal, and 5 yrs 25 million for Walker would be a steal.

pskinny
03-20-2006, 09:57 PM
I disagree..but its a pointless conversation right now. Ill wait till TC to roll around.

I hear you. Should be interesting to see how it plays out. Would be great to see Mathis step it up this year and prove me wrong.

Kookus
03-20-2006, 10:12 PM
I wonder what kind of money Me-shon Johnson would want and would we want him?

TexanFan881
03-20-2006, 10:17 PM
I think it's the other Green Bay WR, Donald Driver, who's from the Houston area. Maybe Javon is too, but I'm pretty sure Driver is from Houston.

I think your right it's only Driver from Houston.

TexanFan881
03-20-2006, 10:18 PM
Texans | Team made an offer to Hilliard
Mon, 20 Mar 2006 13:57:57 -0800
ESPN.com's John Clayton reports the Houston Texans made a contract offer to WR Ike Hilliard, before he re-signed with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. The offer was reportedly higher than the deal he accepted from the Buccaneers.

Hilliard helped us out by staying with the Bucs. Who knows how much we offered him. It couldn't have been much more, but still, it would have been too much for him.

Koolbrz
03-20-2006, 10:35 PM

Walker is a great reciever and if he would come here, he and AJ, would form one of the best tandems in the NFL. #1 or #2 who cares. They would both be on the field at the same time and defenses would be foolish to try and double team either one of these guys. He is from Galveston i believe. Maybe, that could be a reason for him to come play for the Texans. He would want a nice contract. Hell, the FO was willing to throw what 18 mil at Givens, and the guy is not as good as Walker. Throw those 18 mil his way and he might consider coming here. GB is paying him chump change for the caliber of player that he is. He had a great yr and made the pro bowl all for a lil over 500,000 last yr. Considering his injury last yr, i don't believe he would want to go after TO kinda money. Teams might shy away because of the injury and all. Would be nice if they could get him. I would give up my 2nd rd pick for this guy. Just need to wait and see from here on out.

O.G.
03-24-2006, 01:39 AM
"The Packers opened their offseason workout program this week, but Walker was missing in action, the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reports. The wide receiver has reportedly ired a real-estate agent and will have his Green Bay home up for sale very soon.
Walker has made it clear that he has no desire to ever play another game for Green Bay. Even if the Packers were to offer Walker a lucrative contract, he would not consider returning.

"If I had to go back there, I'd retire," Walker told ESPN.com's Michael Smith. "I don't have to play. I really have no interest in being in a Green Bay Packers uniform or playing for Green Bay again."

The Packers have expressed disappointment with Walker's stance and have thus far denied his request for a trade. The club issued a statement that read, in part:

"During his time as a Green Bay Packer, Javon Walker has been well thought of by everyone here. I like Javon, certainly as a person and as a player. That said, Javon is under contract ... and we expect him to honor it ... I don't anticipate us making any concessions in this matter."

Walker is entering the final year of a five-year, $6.7 million contract. He underwent reconstructive knee surgery Oct. 7 in Houston to repair a torn anterior cruciate ligament and torn meniscus cartilage.

Because Walker is damaged goods, the Packers might be fortunate to get even a mid- to late-round pick in return. However, his base salary of $650,000 would be attractive for any team. "

With that base salary, why not give a 6th round for him? I'd do it and he would love to come to Houston. What does everyone else think?

Texas
03-24-2006, 01:43 AM
Hmm from what I heard before it would be a huge cap hit for us...Maybe not? However I think he wants to be the #1

1texan4life
03-24-2006, 11:39 AM
It doesn't matter how many weapons you have if you can't keep your QB off his back. I know Offensive players are sexy, but without the grunts in the trenches you have just an average team. I would spend the money on a veteran o-lineman than a flashy #2 WR.

Chance_C
03-24-2006, 11:44 AM
It doesn't matter how many weapons you have if you can't keep your QB off his back. I know Offensive players are sexy, but without the grunts in the trenches you have just an average team. I would spend the money on a veteran o-lineman than a flashy #2 WR.

Refer to the Flanagan signed thread please....:cool:

Blu
03-24-2006, 12:17 PM
YEah... the oline problems are starting to be addressed. Maybe a back up or two , but now we need a proven WR. We're just missing one good WR to keep the double teams off of AJ. Damn...I'm starting to see the light at the end of this tunnel of Texans dispare.:fieldgoal

Scooter
03-24-2006, 03:00 PM
johnson, armstrong, walters, mathis, bush, putz. unless we pretend it's madden & start playing 20 minute quarters, there arent enough balls to go around. we'll have 2+ targets out of the backfield with bush, dd, & cook on the team, a receiving TE, and 4 WR's already on duty (plus the handfull we'll pickup when the roster balloons). i dont see the need for another wr until we cut someone. we've got bigger concerns now (like keeping carr off his back long enough to throw it to them) that we'd be better off using cap space on.

TexanSam
03-24-2006, 03:21 PM
johnson, armstrong, walters, mathis, bush, putz. unless we pretend it's madden & start playing 20 minute quarters, there arent enough balls to go around. we'll have 2+ targets out of the backfield with bush, dd, & cook on the team, a receiving TE, and 4 WR's already on duty (plus the handfull we'll pickup when the roster balloons). i dont see the need for another wr until we cut someone. we've got bigger concerns now (like keeping carr off his back long enough to throw it to them) that we'd be better off using cap space on.

Armstrong, Walter, and Mathis aren't #2 recievers though. Walter is a #3. He probably hasn't achieved his full potential, but someone who's only caught 19 passes as his best season doesn't strike me as a #2. Mathis is still raw and although he has speed, he doesn't seem like the best route runner or pass catcher. Armstrong has glue for hands and strikes me as the best candidate for the #2 spot, but he's been a #4 o 5 WR his whole career and I seriously doubt he's going to go from being a guy seldom used to a guy who's starting every game opposite Andre Johnson. We still need a WR.

bigTEXan8
03-24-2006, 04:03 PM
I'm still wondering if the previous coaching staff knew something about Armstrong that maybe as fans, we didn't know about it. You sure wouldn't know it by watching him play, even though it was sparringly at best. I'd like to see Armstrong get a chance to consistently play, whether it's at a #2 or #3 spot.

Battle-Red
03-24-2006, 04:51 PM

Except that it spreads the D out. And name a secondary good enuff to cover 2 young probowl receivers, the 9th ranked tigh end, reggie bush, and not to mention mathis stretching the D or a solid full back pass protecting or cathcing dump offs in the flats

whiskeyrbl
03-26-2006, 01:02 PM
Packers | J. Walker selling his house; preparing to move on
Sun, 26 Mar 2006 05:39:51 -0800

Ron Borges, of the Boston Globe, reports the Green Bay Packers opened their offseason workout program without unhappy WR Javon Walker, who put his house up for sale in Green Bay the day after the workouts began and enlisted the help of his parents to clean it out. Walker claims he'd rather retire than play a fifth season for the Packers. Green Bay is insisting it will not trade him.

:brickwall

dat_boy_yec
03-26-2006, 01:08 PM
I'm still wondering if the previous coaching staff knew something about Armstrong that maybe as fans, we didn't know about it. You sure wouldn't know it by watching him play, even though it was sparringly at best. I'd like to see Armstrong get a chance to consistently play, whether it's at a #2 or #3 spot.

Yeah they knew how much they didn't like him. The guy deserved a better opportunity, even after Bradfords miserable play he didn't get a shot. Even with Mathis dropping balls and A.J. injured they didn't give him significant time in any game. I think there was a lot of politics with Capers and his staff that didn't allow Armstrong to see the field. The guy can definetely excell if given the chance, most of our receivers can and hopefully our new coaching staff will do that.

dat_boy_yec
03-26-2006, 01:10 PM
Packers | J. Walker selling his house; preparing to move on
Sun, 26 Mar 2006 05:39:51 -0800

Ron Borges, of the Boston Globe, reports the Green Bay Packers opened their offseason workout program without unhappy WR Javon Walker, who put his house up for sale in Green Bay the day after the workouts began and enlisted the help of his parents to clean it out. Walker claims he'd rather retire than play a fifth season for the Packers. Green Bay is insisting it will not trade him.

:brickwall

Oh, I hope he gets cut in June and we take a shot at him. (ey, wishful thinking never hurt nobody.)

bigTEXan8
03-26-2006, 01:21 PM
Yeah they knew how much they didn't like him. The guy deserved a better opportunity, even after Bradfords miserable play he didn't get a shot. Even with Mathis dropping balls and A.J. injured they didn't give him significant time in any game. I think there was a lot of politics with Capers and his staff that didn't allow Armstrong to see the field. The guy can definetely excell if given the chance, most of our receivers can and hopefully our new coaching staff will do that.

I still find that funny. Seriously, who would it have hurt? Did Armstrong park in Capers' parking stall at the stadium?

DominickDavisFan76
03-26-2006, 01:34 PM
I really doubt we could get him, with all the money we will be giving to the NFL Draftees that we get, and even if we have enough money what makes u think that he will want to go be around Mike Sherman (again!)

ummm.......... o yea, WE ARE NOT GOING TO TAKE VINCE YOUNG, so forget it.

dat_boy_yec
03-26-2006, 01:49 PM
I still find that funny. Seriously, who would it have hurt? Did Armstrong park in Capers' parking stall at the stadium?

You never know maybe Armstrong put a whoopie cushion in Capers chair and Capers never forgave him.

Sutton=08Heisman
03-26-2006, 01:56 PM
sry if this has already been posted but i found it strange......

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=rotowire-avonalkeremandsutofr&prov=rotowire&type=lgns

why would the Houston Chronicle be reporting this???

ClintonPortis26
03-26-2006, 02:03 PM
Didnt he have Rosenhouse (sp?) as his agent? Who told him to holdout last year. After he didnt get his contract he fired Rosenhouse and got a new counsel? Any guy thats smart enough to get rid of Rosenhouse is OK in my book.

Actually its pretty dumb firing a guy like Drew Rosenhaus. He sticks besides his clients and gets them their money...T.O Got his money, Clinton Portis got his money, Santana Moss got his money, sombody else got their money, and the next guy will get his money...

Runner
03-26-2006, 02:41 PM

This is all ancient history now, but I wonder if some of our players weren't pawns in some kind of Casserly/Capers power struggle.

the wonger need food
03-26-2006, 03:20 PM
Actually its pretty dumb firing a guy like Drew Rosenhaus. He sticks besides his clients and gets them their money...T.O Got his money, Clinton Portis got his money, Santana Moss got his money, sombody else got their money, and the next guy will get his money...

That theory didn't work out too well for Gaffney...

Bobo
03-26-2006, 03:24 PM
He's coming off a serious injury last year, but if you were the Texans would you go after him?

This alone is reason enough to stay away from him.