PDA

View Full Version : Titans Sign Chris Hope

Texans34Life
03-14-2006, 06:46 PM
Texans | Team will meet with Hope
Tue, 14 Mar 2006 15:17:42 -0800

Adam Schefter, of the NFL Network, reports the Houston Texans will meet with free agent S Chris Hope (Steelers) Tuesday, March 14.

Coach C.
03-14-2006, 06:48 PM
Well as one of the guys that was trumpeting this guy earlier, I now dont want him to come to our team. He wants top 5 safety money and bottomline he has not played up to that kind of asking price.

Personally I lowball him and he can go somewere else or we get him at a premium. He is talented and tough, but for the price he is asking he is not worth it.

Big78
03-14-2006, 06:53 PM
Well as one of the guys that was trumpeting this guy earlier, I now dont want him to come to our team. He wants top 5 safety money and bottomline he has not played up to that kind of asking price.

Personally I lowball him and he can go somewere else or we get him at a premium. He is talented and tough, but for the price he is asking he is not worth it.

agreed. he is an above average player, but only brian dawkins, lawyer milloy, and Jesus can ask for that kind of money.

bATXle red
03-14-2006, 06:56 PM
from profootballtalk.com
As one league source explained, "Hope has no one interested in him because all the teams get the films of all the games. He is slow, can't tackle, and he is dumb, all of the qualities that go into a big contract."

sounds like we're getting a safety. wonder how much we'll pay him... where's charley?

Porky
03-14-2006, 07:05 PM
For what it's worth CBS Sportline has him as it's 6th best FA on the market at any position. Not that they are the gospel, but you have to take profootball talk with a large grain of salt. From what I have personally seen of him (and watching safety play on tv is hard) I would equate his level of play as a safety as I did Givens as a WR - good, but not elite or great. But, he would be a huge upgrade over any safety on the roster. Again, like Givens, if he wants good money, let's talk. If he wants crazy money, see ya later. Glad they have him in though, and let's see what happens from here.

Here is CBS sportsline:
6. Chris Hope, S, Steelers: He had more tackles and more interceptions than Troy Polamalu did last year. He's a rangy player who can also play the run when needed.

link (http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/story/9273738/2)

HoustonTexans
03-14-2006, 07:09 PM
6. Chris Hope, S, Steelers: He had more tackles and more interceptions than Troy Polamalu did last year. He's a rangy player who can also play the run when needed.

link (http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/story/9273738/2)

Thats because teams tend to keep away from Polamalu...

bATXle red
03-14-2006, 07:15 PM
kffl.com

"Steelers | Clark expected to start
Tue, 14 Mar 2006 15:47:24 -0800

Ed Bouchette, of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, reports Pittsburgh Steelers S Ryan Clark is expected to start at free safety in 2006. The team does not expect free agent S Chris Hope to return in 2006."

why don't the super bowl champion steelers want to keep their starting FS?
if it's a money issue i can understand, but if theres more to it i'm not sure it's worth taking any chances on.

el toro
03-14-2006, 07:22 PM
Worth good money but not crazy money. Sometimes the best free agent signings are the ones you don't make.

dat_boy_yec
03-14-2006, 07:33 PM
Ok, I've seen ppl saying he's asking for crazy money. What is his asking price? If not Hope what is another viable solution. I hear ppl getting tired of the FO not doing anything, but as soon as something is done there's alot of complaining.

kcwilson
03-14-2006, 07:41 PM
kffl.comwhy don't the super bowl champion steelers want to keep their starting FS? if it's a money issue i can understand, but if theres more to it i'm not sure it's worth taking any chances on.

Probably has a lot to do with the fact that Pittsburgh is much more adept at developing talent than others. They consistently recruit and sign young players that thrive in a system.

I think this is a case of the Steeleres believing in their depth and that it is financially irrespobsible to sign someone to large money when they build their organization on developing younger talent.

feebleminded
03-14-2006, 08:40 PM
from profootballtalk.com
As one league source explained, "Hope has no one interested in him because all the teams get the films of all the games. He is slow, can't tackle, and he is dumb, all of the qualities that go into a big contract."

sounds like we're getting a safety. wonder how much we'll pay him... where's charley?

My nomination for post of the year..... LMAO

BuffSoldier
03-14-2006, 08:46 PM
With Marcus Coleman gone, I guess its smart to go after a good young FS. And he is obviously the best one on the market.

TexanFan881
03-14-2006, 08:49 PM
I don't see us signing him. He will probably want a huge contract, but there's nothing wrong with having hope.

Errant Hothy
03-14-2006, 08:52 PM
Unless it's a sweet deal (for us) financially I "hope" we stay from him. Havn't heard to many glowing reviews over the last week.

sprtsfanatic
03-14-2006, 08:57 PM
I don't see us signing him. He will probably want a huge contract, but there's nothing wrong with having hope.

Nothing wrong with having hope??? as in hope we sign him or having C. Hope?? And if its no the latter of the two...hope in what??

Bubbajwp
03-14-2006, 09:10 PM
Nothing wrong with having hope??? as in hope we sign him or having C. Hope?? And if its no the latter of the two...hope in what??
It was kind of a joke. I think he meant we have hope that we can sign him for a decent amount of money. He also meant C hope would be a good addition to the team.

TexanFan881
03-14-2006, 09:20 PM
It was kind of a joke. I think he meant we have hope that we can sign him for a decent amount of money. He also meant C hope would be a good addition to the team.

You hit it right on. I think C hope would be a great addition to the team.

TexasJedi
03-14-2006, 09:31 PM
I'm not a fan of signing Hope. I think everyone in the Steelers secondary, other than Polamalu of course, is overrated since their front 7 (front 8 with Polamalu) gets so much pressure on opposing QB's.

And we can find a free safety in the draft, perhaps even round 2. Simpson, Whitner? It depends on who falls to round 2.

chuckm
03-14-2006, 09:31 PM
I'm not a fan of signing Hope. I think everyone in the Steelers secondary, other than Polamalu of course, is overrated since their front 7 gets so much pressure on opposing QB's.

good point

Bubbajwp
03-14-2006, 09:44 PM
I'm not a fan of signing Hope. I think everyone in the Steelers secondary, other than Polamalu of course, is overrated since their front 7 (front 8 with Polamalu) gets so much pressure on opposing QB's.

And we can find a free safety in the draft, perhaps even round 2. Simpson, Whitner? It depends on who falls to round 2.
You have to realize it works both ways though. Polamalu playing by the line of scrimage all the time meant he was leaving the CBs and Hope to fend for themselves.

pittbull
03-14-2006, 10:00 PM
I've been hoping that the Steelers would get hope. Now lets get ready to thit in the secondary!:brickwall

keyfro
03-14-2006, 10:05 PM
well given that jason allen from tennessee might fall to us in round three i would much rather have him as our FS than C. Hope...there's nothing really wrong with hope just don't believe he's worth that much money

TexasJedi
03-14-2006, 10:10 PM
You have to realize it works both ways though. Polamalu playing by the line of scrimage all the time meant he was leaving the CBs and Hope to fend for themselves.
I realize that, maybe I came across as someone who thinks they are completely worthless, I don't. I just think that we can do better than Hope in the draft, both in terms of talent and salary since he wants big money and is coming off of a Superbowl win..

pittbull
03-14-2006, 10:11 PM
Being formerly of the Steller NAtion and growing up there all my life, I will tell you why the Steelers do not want Hope..............................Money! Hope realizes he's not going to get top safety money, but Palamolu's contract will be coming up soon, and for the Rooney's, the Cheapest, but best owners in football, that is toooooooooooooooooooooo much money in the secondary. They recently signed Ike Taylor, a restricted FA, and got over on the kid, because he will be a stud in the next year or too. With the Steelers having to pay both, that would be outrageous for them to handle. Picking up a new safety is a way to lower salary, and fill in the holes of a well oiled machine in blitzburgh. Remember, this is the same team that took apart a star-studded secondary in two years, and were no where near the salry cap, back in 97' and 98'. Woodson, Perry, Williams, and LAke, all went to the Pro Bowl, two will be hall of famers, and the Steelers cut em' like bad bait! Hope can play! He was overshadowed by all the other studs on D. Someone said dumb.........Far from it. That is why the Steelers took him from FSU (3.6 GPA and scholar athlete of the year) as he makes all the secondary calls, in one of the most complex defenses in the league. If we get him, get ready for an upgrade. Don't have to be the fastest guy, just get there and wreck havoc!:brickwall

pittbull
03-14-2006, 10:18 PM
Ike Taylor locked up Chad Johnson, THREE TIMES, Marvin HArrison had 3 catches (of course one was a TD, getting caught on Manning's PA fake, but who hasn't). Polamalu the second best in the game, behind Ed Reed (THE U), the linebackers played good, but not as good as last season. The secondary doesn't get enough respect, due to the press that gets pointed at Joey Porter and his antics. A lockdown corner is what makes the 3-4 scheme go. If you can take away a half of the field, then there is no reason to double and zone WR's! Ask the Steelers when they had Rod Woodson. Went back to the same scheme with Ike Taylor's development and Troy being able to roam all over the field!:twocents:

stickman713
03-14-2006, 10:19 PM
I think Hope is going to use the Texans as leaverage. To up his value cause we all know cass is good for overpaying average talent. Givens used us and pretty much every other decent talent who floats through here will.:brickwall

TexansTrueFan
03-14-2006, 10:26 PM
I think Hope is going to use the Texans as leaverage. To up his value cause we all know cass is good for overpaying average talent. Givens used us and pretty much every other decent talent who floats through here will.:brickwall

hmmm using a 2 win team to do that ??? lol yeah makes sense

YoungTexanFan
03-14-2006, 10:41 PM
I don't want hope. I would rather us draft a FS this year. I really like Ko Simpson at #33, and I am starting to warm up to D. Wittner from THE Ohio St. I like Jason Allen in the third also. All three of those FS's are better options for our team than Hope. Thats just my :twocents:

Porky
03-14-2006, 11:10 PM
I don't want hope. I would rather us draft a FS this year. I really like Ko Simpson at #33, and I am starting to warm up to D. Wittner from THE Ohio St. I like Jason Allen in the third also. All three of those FS's are better options for our team than Hope. Thats just my :twocents:

I'll sing God Bless America naked if we draft a safety on day one of this draft. Ain't happening. :ok:

TexanFan881
03-14-2006, 11:14 PM

I think the problem with using a first day draft pick to solve our FS problems is that we can sign Hope and fill that hole and than use our second and/or third round pick on other holes on the team.

TexansTrueFan
03-14-2006, 11:19 PM
I'll sing God Bless America naked if we draft a safety on day one of this draft. Ain't happening. :ok:

be careful i dont wanna c that. i wont remind u if we do but i'm sure someone out heres dumb enough to lol

Koolbrz
03-14-2006, 11:56 PM
Texans should sign Hope. He is an above avg. player that will improve our secondary and we will fill a hole that needs to be filled. I would not want to have to depend on a rookie all next yr. when you can pick up an exp. player that has won a super bowl. This guy is better than what most people think.

mexican_texan
03-15-2006, 12:01 AM
I like Glenn Earl as our safety. He made some plays late in the season when he got the starting job away from a guy that was too old for the Jets five years ago. He hit hard and often and he cought some nice INTs. I like him so much, I rated him 89 in Madden. I would rather get an old...errrr...experienced Safety that Brown and Earl can learn under.

Mailman04
03-15-2006, 12:04 AM
yeah Hope has to suck as some of you seem to imply. he started for the Super Bowl Champs, Lord knows a 2-14 team couldn't use him.

mexican_texan
03-15-2006, 12:12 AM
yeah Hope has to suck as some of you seem to imply. he started for the Super Bowl Champs, Lord knows a 2-14 team couldn't use him.
Even scrubs have rings. Trent Dilfer and Tony Banks started for the Ravens. They play safety better than Chris Hope. They can shut down offenses like no one has before.

edo783
03-15-2006, 12:17 AM
Hope has skills and would likely be an upgrade. However, it's been reported that he wants to get top 5 pay. IMO, he isn't THAT good.

TexansTrueFan
03-15-2006, 12:20 AM
I like Glenn Earl as our safety. He made some plays late in the season when he got the starting job away from a guy that was too old for the Jets five years ago. He hit hard and often and he cought some nice INTs. I like him so much, I rated him 89 in Madden. I would rather get an old...errrr...experienced Safety that Brown and Earl can learn under.

didnt he only have like 1 int, same as c.c brown and d-rob

dirty steve
03-15-2006, 12:20 AM
Even scrubs have rings. Trent Dilfer and Tony Banks started for the Ravens. They play safety better than Chris Hope. They can shut down offenses like no one has before.

trent dilfer was a solid QB at his peak. he was the starting QB on that squad. i know the D was stifling that year, but somebody had to lead the offense.

wags
03-15-2006, 12:21 AM

You know we have 4 picks on the first day, and FS is a big hole on this team.

Then again, I would say that we have a good shot of not seeing you naked because we have so many other holes. Thank god for that!!!

Koolbrz
03-15-2006, 12:21 AM

Hope is no scrub Homie. He is much better than the Safties we have on this team and he is a Super Bowl champion. If he was a scrub do you honestly think he would have been on the field in the biggest game of the season. I don't think so!!

TexansTrueFan
03-15-2006, 12:23 AM
trent dilfer was a solid QB at his peak. he was the starting QB on that squad. i know the D was stifling that year, but somebody had to lead the offense.

banks wasnt so bad either, dont get me wrong he has a bad int problem, but he could still make some pretty good plays in his day.

mexican_texan
03-15-2006, 12:33 AM
didnt he only have like 1 int, same as c.c brown and d-rob
I'm sure he has more, but he had one against the Cards that made me jump out of my chair. He was starting to play well late in the season, but that was garbage time and we need hammer time.

KoolBrz: I'm not saying Hope's a scrub, I'm just saying scrubs in general have rings.

run-david-run
03-15-2006, 12:36 AM
He had more picks and tackles then Polumalu. Obviously this means he had more then one pick. I think Hope would be an upgrade and a draft choice saved, but it has to be at a resonable price.

texan279
03-15-2006, 12:39 AM
Last season Hope had 96 total tackles and 3 INT's, Polamalu had 91 total tackles and 2 INT's. Can't really compare the two though.

mexican_texan
03-15-2006, 12:39 AM
He had more picks and tackles then Polumalu. Obviously this means he had more then one pick. I think Hope would be an upgrade and a draft choice saved, but it has to be at a resonable price.
Cher had few picks for the same reason as D-Rob: teams don't attack their side of the field.

Mightymike
03-15-2006, 12:47 AM

earl plays SS

mexican_texan
03-15-2006, 01:09 AM
earl plays SS
So was CC Brown, but he played FS later on

dat_boy_yec
03-15-2006, 10:01 AM
So has anybody heard anything regarding his visit? I think this guy would be an upgrade and we would have a solid Safety net there for a good while. I don't know what top 5 safety money is, but if it's not too unreasonable I don't see why we don't pick him up. Regardless of what we do I think we have decent safeties already. My biggest concern on Defense right now would be the ILB position.

Coach C.
03-15-2006, 10:07 AM
He is asking for 3-5 a year, which is to high to pay a safety that is not a pro-bowler. Hope is worth maybe 2 a year, but any more than that is just overpaying. Hopefully we lowaballed him and he left without signing or he signed and we got an athletic rangy safety for a good price. ILB is a big concern other than we have a good bit of money tied up in LBs right now. right now are starting LB core would be Greenwood, Wong, Orr. I dont have a problem with the OLBs, but like you said MLB is a problem because Wong is not going to be ready early, look for us to address this in the draft maybe a McIntosh, Leon Williams, Carpenter, Schlegal, Hodge, or if the rumors are true Ahmad Brooks in the 3rd or 4th of the supplemental.

adrianshrev
03-15-2006, 10:14 AM

whoa there if we r taking bush we have to get our rt in the second b4 the ones who can come in and play are gone....just an observation what about a safety in rd 3 where we have 2 picks:redtowel:

O.G.
03-15-2006, 10:19 AM
So has anybody heard anything regarding his visit? I think this guy would be an upgrade and we would have a solid Safety net there for a good while. I don't know what top 5 safety money is, but if it's not too unreasonable I don't see why we don't pick him up. Regardless of what we do I think we have decent safeties already. My biggest concern on Defense right now would be the ILB position.

And corner opposite D-Rob although Chris McKenzie was a nice supprise

ArlingtonTexan
03-15-2006, 04:48 PM
Note that the link DOES NOT have him visiting the Texans.

http://tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060315/SPORTS01/60315011

ThaShark316
03-15-2006, 04:50 PM
He signed with Tennessee today. It was on the scroll on ESPNEWS

EDIT: Here's the link http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2369945

chuckm
03-15-2006, 04:52 PM
It'll be interesting to see what he got ...

TEXANS84
03-15-2006, 05:17 PM
Titans | Hope agrees to terms
Wed, 15 Mar 2006 13:56:07 -0800

Jim Wyatt, of the Tennessean, reports the Tennessee Titans have agreed to terms with free agent S Chris Hope (Steelers). Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

run-david-run
03-15-2006, 05:38 PM
Hope agrees in principle with Tennessee Titans. Saw this on the ESPN scroll bar, no official link or amount. Anyway, it looks like he is off the market.
Also, S Will Demps is signed with Giants, someone I felt we could have gone after...

MightyTExan
03-15-2006, 05:58 PM
Seems like the Titans are getting the players we should have...............

TexanFan881
03-15-2006, 05:59 PM
What else is new? We might sign Flanagan and then Putzier, but after that I doubt we sign anyone. We were 2-14 last year, why would we want to win this year :brickwall

Corrosion
03-15-2006, 06:00 PM
Link

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2369945

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
03-15-2006, 06:01 PM
Chris Hope is the equivalent to Kim Herring when he was with the '00 Ravens. Average player on a very good defense.

run-david-run
03-15-2006, 06:03 PM
Lol, the Titans have added a center, free saftey, linebacker and a WR. Maybe Reese and Charely got their lists mixed up....

mulpwr
03-17-2006, 05:58 PM
Chris Hope is the equivalent to Kim Herring when he was with the '00 Ravens. Average player on a very good defense.

That sums it up.He can lay the wood,i'll give him that.

TexanFan881
03-17-2006, 06:11 PM
We don't sign big names unless we overpay them :challenge

Errant Hothy
03-17-2006, 06:45 PM
We don't sign big names unless we overpay them :challenge

Neither do a lot of teams...so whats your point?

Odds are the Titans overpiad Hope, only way they could convince him in such a quick manner.