PDA

View Full Version : Casserly...make a move PLEASE!!!

Mycco
03-14-2006, 03:13 PM
I've been a staunch supporter of our GM Charlie Casserly since he arrived in 2002. Last year when he let Aaron Glenn and Jaime Sharper go I gave him the benefit of the doubt. When he gave up a draft pick for Phillip "toasty" Buchannon, I supported him. When he brought in Marolon Greenwood, I stuck by him. But now I'm beggining to agree with the others on this board that this dude has no idea of what he is doing. With all of the free agent talent out on the market at the present time why aren't we addressing our needs on the O-line? K. Mawae is already off the market and we didn't even make a push for him. The same for Mike Williams. Lavar Arrington is on the market and we're giving big money to Anthony Weaver and a backup QB who couldn't carry Tony banks jock. Who's next? Joe Somebody from Whatsamatta U? Luckily we have the 1st pick and Bush is such a can't miss prospect that there is no way he can skrew this up. Or can he? He'll probably trade the pick for another Tony Boselli and extra draft picks. To be honest, he'd be one hell of a used car salesman becuase he has been selling us Texans fans lemons for the past 4 years. I'm sorry...as much as I've tried to give this guy my support the facts are what they are. He is not a good GM! He doesn't know what he's doing. Obviously, Daniel Snyder of the Redskins took notice when took over the team and they are still trying to un-skrew all of his skrew-ups in Washington, how much longer is it going to take Bob McNair to do the same! :brickwall

WiiBrawler
03-14-2006, 03:20 PM
I've been a staunch supporter of our GM Charlie Casserly since he arrived in 2002. Last year when he let Aaron Glenn and Jaime Sharper go I gave him the benefit of the doubt. When he gave up a draft pick for Phillip "toasty" Buchannon, I supported him. But now I'm beggining to agree with the others on this board that this dude has no idea of what he is doing. With all of the free agent talent out on the market at the present time why aren't we addressing our needs on the O-line? K. Mawae is already off the market and we didn't even make a push for him. Lavar Arrington is on the market and we're giving big money to Anthony Weaver? Who's next? Joe Somebody from Whatsamatta U? Luckily we have the 1st pick and Bush is such a once in a lifetime player that there no way he can skrew this up. Or can he? He'll probably trade the pick for another Tony Boselli and extra draft picks. I'm sorry...as much as I've tried to give this guy my support the facts are what they are. He is not a good GM! He doesn't know what he's doing. Obviously, Daniel Snyder of the Redskins took notice when took over and they are still trying to un-skrew all of his skrew-ups in Washington, how much longer is it going to take Bob McNair to do the same! :brickwall

Dude Chill,like you said we have the first pick and he cant screw this up, or else he will be gone. Part of reason is the Texans dont want to be over cap, second he pays big money because no one will come here. Lets just hope he signs Flanagan and Andre Dyson:brickwall

Runner
03-14-2006, 03:22 PM
Dude Chill,like you said we have the first pick and he cant screw this up, or else he will be gone. Part of reason is the Texans dont want to be over cap, second he pays big money because no one will come here. Lets just hope he signs Flanagan and Andre Dyson:brickwall

That may be true, but he needs to make another move to give everyone something fresh to complain about. :rolleyes:

el toro
03-14-2006, 03:22 PM
Patience. If they land Flanagan, Putzier, and Givens and/or Walter then the team will have had a respectable haul in free agency. This team is not going to be built overnight. The key move this offseason was landing Kubiak. He knows a thing or two about building a winner.

Holden135
03-14-2006, 03:23 PM
I understand what your saying but you have to remember that Arrington and Mawae were both injury prone and Mawae is extremely old. We would be risking more than we would gain in those instances. Weaver actually was the no. 2 rated DE in free agency so you can't say he didn't go out and bring in some talent. Im not saying he is good but i do see why he has done what he has done. The only move i have hated this free agency is the Sage Rosnefels signing.

WiiBrawler
03-14-2006, 03:23 PM
Patience. If they land Flanagan, Putzier, and Givens and/or Walter then the team will have had a respectable haul in free agency. This team is not going to be built overnight. The key move this offseason was landing Kubiak. He knows a thing or two about building a winner.

Yeah but Casserly doesnt

TexanFan881
03-14-2006, 03:26 PM
Have we been said to have interest in Dyson? Also, we lost Givens and I don't see how Walter helps us fill our need for a #2 WR. Hopefully they just resign Gaffney.

el toro
03-14-2006, 03:27 PM
Yeah but Casserly doesnt

But Kubiak has significant input. At least it's him and not Capers.

keyfro
03-14-2006, 03:28 PM
first things first...mawae is old and coming off a season ending injury...mike williams...are you kidding...the dude has been a complete bust and probably isn't worth thinking about...he doesn't fit the blocking schemes we have here...arrington is going to demand a ton of freaking money and the one thing people keep forgetting about is we started FA with almost 13 mil under the cap...you generally need around 7-10 mill for your drafted players...so really we only had 3-5 mill to play with this offseason...if we sign putzier and flanagan and then resign gaffney, wells, and the RFA's along with kevin walter we should be real close to the cap once the drafted rookies are signed...so to answer your question as to why casserly isn't just lining the FA's up...it's because reality-wise we didn't have that much money to be active

Mailman04
03-14-2006, 03:28 PM
They aren;'t going to sign Givens. He inked with Tennessee today. Keyfro, thanks for the post. I am new to this board, but some of the posters on here really need to chill. Geez, some of these players you guys get mad the Texans don't sign are worthless and washed up. I could take or leave CC, but thank God some of you aren't in charge of the Texans' GM duties.

chuckm
03-14-2006, 03:29 PM
Casserly ,,,,,, keep your head about you PLEASE!!!!

bckey
03-14-2006, 03:29 PM
How in the heck do the Redskins always line em up in free agency?

Mycco
03-14-2006, 03:34 PM
I agree Mawae is old, but c'mon...he'd be an upgrade from what we have now. Hell, I'd take Brad Hopkins back at this point. And let's not forget our WR situation. I know that $$ can't be that big of an issue....every team has an extra $10 mill to spend and we were already under the cap after we let go of Coleman, Walker, and Brown.

Mycco
03-14-2006, 03:37 PM
How in the heck do the Redskins always line em up in free agency?

Snyder likes to gamble....and there is a saying in gambling

"Scared money don't make money" he ain't afraid to nut up and roll the dice. I'm not saying his decisions always pan out, but at least he ain't afraid to or tight when it comes to wanting to win.

thunderkyss
03-14-2006, 03:45 PM
I agree Mawae is old, but c'mon...he'd be an upgrade from what we have now. Hell, I'd take Brad Hopkins back at this point. And let's not forget our WR situation. I know that $$ can't be that big of an issue....every team has an extra $10 mill to spend and we were already under the cap after we let go of Coleman, Walker, and Brown.

Well we are still looking to sign Flanagan, I hope that goes well. & we still have Hogdon....... don't forget, Kubiak has been studying our players. he's got his list, I'm sure he's checking it twice.

Weaver..... while most of us has been looking for a pass rusher, I do agree that we need help stoping the run, and leadership on D..... I think he'll fill those two spots well.

I actually like the Rosenfell signing..... just not the money. If David get's hurt, there's no reason to tank the rest of the season. We'll be fine.

Porky
03-14-2006, 03:49 PM
Casserly should have been axed this past offseason. He won a reprieve from the Governor but it's only a matter of time before he is sipping Maitai's in Bermuda with a Hula dancer named Mimi. So relax, and know that the Cass error...I mean era....is slowly but surely coming to an end in Houston.

Texans Horror
03-14-2006, 03:53 PM
There is a lot we aren't seeing. For instance, apparently Bentley really wanted to go to the Browns. A lot of people here (myself included) were hoping Bentley would end up in Houston. It sounds like we were never in his line of sight. We picked up a defensive player from the Ravens - fantastic. We have picked up a QB that Kubiak scouted when he was in Denver - he sees something we don't, so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. If we could just pull an interior lineman, I'd feel better about next year's team.

Snapple
03-14-2006, 03:57 PM
Flanagan is not going to make the worst pass blocking line in the history of the NFL into a gem overnight. We need to do more to at least LOOK like we're trying to improve.

Considering all the people we've cut, our holes now outnumber our draft picks by quite a bit. I don't even expect to get anything worthwhile past round three anyway, so it's nigh impossible to address all of our needs in the draft. Even if you want to build slowly through the draft, at least sign some guys now to hold the team together until you get more draft picks.

If we should be so concerned about saving cap space, since half the board looks at every free agent and goes "Whoa, too much money," then what talent to we have to show for all the salary we're apparently already spending? There are other teams out there who are safely under the cap, yet have very good teams. Why don't we? Probably because Charlie Casserly overpaid for bad talent for four years. I don't see how people can defend the guy.

If we're going to overpay, at least we can overpay for good talent. But we sat on our ***, and now we have little to show for it while everyone else was busy getting all the good talent and improving. Aside from the coaching staff, I don't think we look any better than last year's team so far.

Mycco
03-14-2006, 04:12 PM
Flanagan is not going to make the worst pass blocking line in the history of the NFL into a gem overnight. We need to do more to at least LOOK like we're trying to improve.

Considering all the people we've cut, our holes now outnumber our draft picks by quite a bit. I don't even expect to get anything worthwhile past round three anyway, so it's nigh impossible to address all of our needs in the draft. Even if you want to build slowly through the draft, at least sign some guys now to hold the team together until you get more draft picks.

If we should be so concerned about saving cap space, since half the board looks at every free agent and goes "Whoa, too much money," then what talent to we have to show for all the salary we're apparently already spending? There are other teams out there who are safely under the cap, yet have very good teams. Why don't we? Probably because Charlie Casserly overpaid for bad talent for four years. I don't see how people can defend the guy.

If we're going to overpay, at least we can overpay for good talent. But we sat on our ***, and now we have little to show for it while everyone else was busy getting all the good talent and improving. Aside from the coaching staff, I don't think we look any better than last year's team so far.

I agree. I tried to give him my support in spite of his actions or lack there of, but if an entire fan base agrees he is not the right man for the job, then something should be done. I would still have a glimmer of hope for him, if he would just roll the dice and gamble a bit to at least show he has the gonads to play with the big boys. That's why I remain a loyal Cowboy fan as well. Jerry let's em hang and you see where they are compared to the Texans.

Porky
03-14-2006, 04:15 PM
There are other teams out there who are safely under the cap, yet have very good teams. Why don't we?

One big reason is a blindfolded Monkey could make better picks in the 2nd and 3rd rounds than this guy. I hope like hell someone puts a straightjacket and muzzle on this guy on draft day. :ok:

Corrosion
03-14-2006, 04:17 PM
Im probably the BIGGEST Chicken Little from last PRE-SEASON ..... If I can find reason for Optimism .... Everyone else should have little problem finding something to be optimistic about. :stirpot:

Mailman04
03-14-2006, 04:32 PM
Domanick Davis in the fourth round was a great pick. I agree they have had their share of misses though. For a No. 2 WR, Keyshawn Johnson was just released by the Cowboys and he still has a little left in his tank if he is cheap enough.

Mycco
03-14-2006, 04:38 PM
Domanick Davis in the fourth round was a great pick. I agree they have had their share of misses though. For a No. 2 WR, Keyshawn Johnson was just released by the Cowboys and he still has a little left in his tank if he is cheap enough.

It won't happen....Keyshawn will want more $$$ than Casserly will offer, and as this thread is titled....Casserly won't get off his ***** to make it happen.

evil_scotsman
03-14-2006, 04:38 PM
We're as of now the worst team in the leauge. The fact that we've signed players with any measure of talent at all is a good thing. The fact that we're overpaying is because of the new room we have with the changes in the cap.

Do I like Casserly? No. Do I like the Texans? Yes. Right now I'll stick by the descisions and players we take, even if they're not the greatest in the world.

:twocents:

Mycco
03-14-2006, 04:43 PM
We're as of now the worst team in the leauge. The fact that we've signed players with any measure of talent at all is a good thing. The fact that we're overpaying is because of the new room we have with the changes in the cap.

Do I like Casserly? No. Do I like the Texans? Yes. Right now I'll stick by the descisions and players we take, even if they're not the greatest in the world.

:twocents:

LOL....That sounds a lot like how many American's feel about President Bush. The only differnece is we can do something about it...BOYCOTT/REVOLT don't buy Texan tickets.

evil_scotsman
03-14-2006, 04:47 PM
LOL....That sounds a lot like how many American's feel about President Bush. The only differnece is we can do something about it...BOYCOTT/REVOLT don't buy Texan tickets.

Then you aren't a fan of the team then if you don't by tickets.

BTW, as the name suggests I am scottish, so don't get me started on George Bush :challenge lol

Mycco
03-14-2006, 04:53 PM
Then you aren't a fan of the team then if you don't by tickets.

BTW, as the name suggests I am scottish, so don't get me started on George Bush :challenge lol

Just because I don't buy tickets doesn't NOT make me a fan. That's a pretty narrow minded statement. Not everyone can afford NFL tickets and the parking to take the family out on a Sunday afternoon. I watched every beating they took last year, so think before you speak. I'm just suggesting that if you want to get back at management for their sorry excuse for a product, then you hit them where it hurts...at the box office.

done88
03-14-2006, 06:08 PM
CC is not going to change. The good news is that contract is up next year and hopefully Manair will come to his senses by then. However I think they are keeping him as a final scape goat. They know they won't be as good as they would like next year. Therefore keep CC and fire him next year to keep good faith with the fans.

cuppacoffee
03-14-2006, 06:30 PM
I agree. I tried to give him my support in spite of his actions or lack there of, but if an entire fan base agrees he is not the right man for the job, then something should be done. I would still have a glimmer of hope for him, if he would just roll the dice and gamble a bit to at least show he has the gonads to play with the big boys. That's why I remain a loyal Cowboy fan as well. Jerry let's em hang and you see where they are compared to the Texans.

The bolding is kinda what I was thinking, now you confirmed it.

Where the boys were last year was on their couches watching the playoffs.

:coffee:

el toro
03-14-2006, 06:43 PM
I do not understand the jonesing for big splashy free agent signings for tens of millions other than the fact that it's March. The Redskins do that crap every offseason and look at the payoff.

Joe Texan
03-14-2006, 06:45 PM
That's why I remain a loyal Cowboy fan as well. Jerry let's em hang and you see where they are compared to the Texans.

the Texans are Undefeated, which is the way it will stay. And you can only compare the Texans with thier criminal northern neighbors when :pigfly:

Coach C.
03-14-2006, 06:46 PM
Ok first alot of people are seeing teams in our division making moves so they want some made. We have spent for the guys we have and we likely are not about to spend much more other than possibly a OL and Putzier.

As for Washington yes they constantly spend money, and they are barely starting to see the payoff now that they decided to get a real coach to bring these hired guns together. Either way in the past 5 yrs they have been to more playoffs than we have. Hopefully CC stays true and we sign one defensive starter and one or two offensive starters.

GP
03-14-2006, 07:03 PM
Yeah, make a move so hundreds of message board posters can FLAME YOU for it half-way through the 2006 season.

You guys gripe for Casserly to get in on the free agency sweepstakes and then you complain about his moves and ask for him to get fired.

It's the circle of life. Or perhaps something else that involves a circle...

Marcus
03-14-2006, 07:19 PM
Yeah, make a move so hundreds of message board posters can FLAME YOU for it half-way through the 2006 season.

You guys gripe for Casserly to get in on the free agency sweepstakes and then you complain about his moves and ask for him to get fired.

It's the circle of life. Or perhaps something else that involves a circle...

Hey . . . last time I checked, I believe it was YOU who started this 'bash Casserly' thread. Why start a fire, and then want to throw water on it when others want to throw on the logs?

GP
03-14-2006, 07:48 PM
You are VERY mistaken, but since when did you ever let the facts get in the way of a good bashing?

You're a basher of other posters. It's what you do. And everyone knows it, so I'm cool with your bizarre-o attacks from left field.

Guess the pharmacy was running low on anti-depressant medication again, huh Marcus? (For all the other posters: This is the part of the post where Marcus begins typing for about thirty minutes straight to let me know just what a $#@!&* I am and how I should be dealt with in a violent manner...makes for good reading.)

I have been an AVID Casserly defender because you arm-chair wheeler and dealers think you're soooooooooo much smarter than a man who is widely regarded in the NFL as a pretty savvy GM who works with the coaches he's given.

Buh-bye. And this time I will let my singular post in response to you stand alone and you can argue against yourself for the next four posts on this topic to show how smart and witty you are.

dirty steve
03-14-2006, 07:51 PM
Just because I don't buy tickets doesn't NOT make me a fan. That's a pretty narrow minded statement. Not everyone can afford NFL tickets and the parking to take the family out on a Sunday afternoon. I watched every beating they took last year, so think before you speak. I'm just suggesting that if you want to get back at management for their sorry excuse for a product, then you hit them where it hurts...at the box office.

well then don't say you can't b/c of not being able to afford it, say you are staying away because you just don't want to go.

TexanBacker93
03-14-2006, 07:55 PM
K. Mawae is already off the market and we didn't even make a push for him. The same for Mike Williams. :brickwall

Mawae and Williams would not improve the team. Williams was a bust and ended up being demoted to backup special teams. Mawae is coming off an injury and is 35.

Lavar Arrington is on the market and we're giving big money to Anthony Weaver and a backup QB who couldn't carry Tony banks jock.
:brickwall

Arrington is going to expect a fortune. He's not a MLB and while he might be better than the OLBs that are on the roster right now, the team can't cut everyone and still have cap room to sign the rookies. Banks is nothing great. He's not a bad backup, but he thinks he should be starting in the NFL even though 3 different teams have given him that chance and he couldn't do it. Rosenfels is younger and could end up being what Kubiak was to Elway. I'm not suggesting Carr is Elway, but having a guy like that isn't a bad thing.

Obviously, Daniel Snyder of the Redskins took notice when took over the team and they are still trying to un-skrew all of his skrew-ups in Washington, how much longer is it going to take Bob McNair to do the same! :brickwall

They're in the process of undoing Snyder's screwups. He's the one that continually backloads megamillion dollar contracts for aging players that aren't going to be able to play through the deal and creates cap problems for future years to deal with.

TexanBacker93
03-14-2006, 07:58 PM

Actually, NFL teams get a lot more money from fans that watch the games on TV than those that go to the stadiums. The shared revenue from the TV deals with the networks is higher than what the teams make in a season from stadium revenue. The best way to hit the owners where it hurts is for everyone to stop watching on TV as well as going to the games. Advertisers see that nobody watches the NFL and they pull their products. The problem with this is that it takes too long and it won't really do anything if it's just one market. All it affects if fans don't buy tickets to the games is blackouts for those fans living in the area.

dat_boy_yec
03-14-2006, 08:01 PM
I am actually starting to warm up to Casserly. The guy went to the airport to meet Givens. He signed Weaver a guy I was hoping to see in a Texans uniform. He is making alot of moves. I mean there hasn't been signings in a few days, but I am confident they are doing something. Also I have to admit that I respect his decision not to overspend on Givens. I would have pulled the trigger, but then again I'm not that fiscally ingenious. The past few seasons I have been disappointed, but looking at this offseasons moves it seems they were influenced by the former coaching staff in the past. I believe CC is not the problem. We should give the guy a chance.

Erratic Assassin
03-14-2006, 08:03 PM
Patience. This team is not going to be built overnight.

Apparently 5 offseasons won't be long enough either.

disaacks3
03-14-2006, 08:15 PM

It's the circle of life. Or perhaps something else that involves a circle... I see your point to a degree, but there's a difference between signing BIG names and signing people NOBODY has heard of (or washed-up journeymen) for outrageous salaries.

Would anyone have been upset last season if we landed Orlando Pace? - No.
Would anyone have been upset this season if we landed Givens? - No.

The fact of the matter is that the Texans aren't getting (no matter the reason) the BIG NAME players that ANY fan likes to see signed.

Instead, we get the Morlon Greenwoods and Victor Rileys of the NFL. Is it any wonder the fans aren't particularly content with CC's "moves" in the off-season?

aj.
03-14-2006, 08:24 PM
You forgot Todd Wade.

chuckm
03-14-2006, 08:27 PM

even if we went 2 years without a 1st round pick? this isn't Madden .....

dat_boy_yec
03-14-2006, 08:29 PM
I see your point to a degree, but there's a difference between signing BIG names and signing people NOBODY has heard of (or washed-up journeymen) for outrageous salaries.

Would anyone have been upset this season if we landed Givens? - No.

The fact of the matter is that the Texans aren't getting (no matter the reason) the BIG NAME players that ANY fan likes to see signed.

Instead, we get the Morlon Greenwoods and Victor Rileys of the NFL. Is it any wonder the fans aren't particularly content with CC's "moves" in the off-season?

Don't act like you speak for all the fans. I for one would have been upset had they signed Givens for that price. Matter of fact I might have actually been pissed off. Also if Peek and a draft pick were going to be involved in picking up pace I would have been incredibly upset. I would hate to have seen the Rams with the #1 overall pick.

Greenwood and Riley were players Capers wanted and with each move the Texans make this offseason the less respect I have for Capers knowledge of personnel. I like the Weaver aquisition and their attempt to land Givens. Also this offseason isn't over yet, but for some reason I'm thinking I will be happy with this offseason.

disaacks3
03-14-2006, 08:31 PM
even if we went 2 years without a 1st round pick? this isn't Madden ..... No, it's not. But wasting CAP SPACE on 'inadequate' help is just as important as the draft - especially when it comes to the OL, especially after you tell the fans that protecting your QB is your #1 priority.

Boxscore
03-14-2006, 08:32 PM
After today's major QB moves, what does Casserly do? Looks like VY either goes #1 to the Texans or #7 to the Raiders. I believe that Casserly will trade the #1 pick. That would be a smart move if he does so and executes a deal that will keep him at the General Manager position for the Texan's.

How about if he negotiates a deal that would get us both Dbrick and AJHawk! Now that would bring him back to the good graces of my fellow season ticket holders!:stirpot:

chuckm
03-14-2006, 08:35 PM
No, it's not. But wasting CAP SPACE on 'inadequate' help is just as important as the draft - especially when it comes to the OL, especially after you tell the fans that protecting your QB is your #1 priority.

you're speaking of Victor Riley (he's the one OLman that you mentioned)? he's not in the 2006 cap space unless I'm mistaken ...

disaacks3
03-14-2006, 08:37 PM
Don't act like you speak for all the fans. I for one would have been upset had they signed Givens for that price. Matter of fact I might have actually been pissed off.

Fine, I officially don't speak for you...happy now? If you haven't figured out that you're in the minority yet though, I don't know what to tell you.

BIG NAMES = Happy Fans (except for dby)
UNKNOWNS / WASHED-UP JOURNEYMEN = LESS-than Happy Fans
:sarcasm:

bkimble
03-14-2006, 08:41 PM
I've been a staunch supporter of our GM Charlie Casserly since he arrived in 2002. Last year when he let Aaron Glenn and Jaime Sharper go I gave him the benefit of the doubt. When he gave up a draft pick for Phillip "toasty" Buchannon, I supported him. When he brought in Marolon Greenwood, I stuck by him. But now I'm beggining to agree with the others on this board that this dude has no idea of what he is doing. With all of the free agent talent out on the market at the present time why aren't we addressing our needs on the O-line? K. Mawae is already off the market and we didn't even make a push for him. The same for Mike Williams. Lavar Arrington is on the market and we're giving big money to Anthony Weaver and a backup QB who couldn't carry Tony banks jock. Who's next? Joe Somebody from Whatsamatta U? Luckily we have the 1st pick and Bush is such a can't miss prospect that there is no way he can skrew this up. Or can he? He'll probably trade the pick for another Tony Boselli and extra draft picks. To be honest, he'd be one hell of a used car salesman becuase he has been selling us Texans fans lemons for the past 4 years. I'm sorry...as much as I've tried to give this guy my support the facts are what they are. He is not a good GM! He doesn't know what he's doing. Obviously, Daniel Snyder of the Redskins took notice when took over the team and they are still trying to un-skrew all of his skrew-ups in Washington, how much longer is it going to take Bob McNair to do the same! :brickwall

Dude, your points are right on target. This team is a mess! And Charlie C is to blame for it. Obviously, Daniel Snyder realize that the Redskins was heading straight to the basement and fired CC before it was to late. I don't understand what's the deal with the Texan? Why do we continue to make excuses to this man. This guy has no clue. Just look at the past.
Let's see:

1. Dave Carr (what a joke)
2. Phillip Bucannon
3. Jason Babin
4. Tony Boselli (after 4 knee operations)
5. No tigh end
6. No middle linebacker
7. No second reciever

The botton-line is, CC has no clue what he's doing and I am starting to wonder about Bob McNair too.

:superman:

tulexan
03-14-2006, 08:43 PM
FAs don't have to go to a team that gives them a contract offer. It's not like we didn't offer Orlando Pace a contract last year or Givens a contract this year. We both offered them contracts and they rejected us for bigger contracts. Just because you don't read it on KFFL, ESPN, SI, FoxSports, or CBS Sportsline that x player is coming to Houston to visit the Texans, doesn't mean that we didn't contact them and see if they were interested in us. For all you know, we have been contacting some of the bigger name players and they don't want to come here.

And still, I would like to know how we over paid someone if they haven't even played for us yet. I'm not saying it is going to happen, but lets say that Weaver has 12 sacks this season. Did we over pay him then? Or what if Cook has 5 or 6 touchdowns? Is he still a bad acquisition?

Before rushing to judgment because we didn't get the guy that you want, or now in the draft we aren't going to get the guy that you want, let's see how they actually perform.

Is that too much to ask?

aj.
03-14-2006, 09:03 PM
Weaver just got the second highest signing bonus in franchise history, next to Carr's original bonus in '02.

Todd Wade, Gary Walker, and Robaire Smith received 32 million in signing bonuses two years ago - cap killing stuff - and Weaver received more than any of them.

The Texans have a history of underperfomance with their big money guys. Is it to much to ask to understand the angst and anxiety of fans that hope we're not seeing an ugly pattern repeating?

I base my opinions on what I have seen and not what might be....while holding out hope for the best.

Meisterman
03-14-2006, 09:08 PM
Casserly is a lame duck GM....Hopefully Reeves will keep a close Geko eye on him when Charlie starts chirping "You Can Never Have Enough Quarterbacks".

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e323/yaakman7/hans_franz.jpg

Runner
03-14-2006, 09:31 PM
even if we went 2 years without a 1st round pick? this isn't Madden .....

As I recall, prevailing opinion on the board at the time was two first rounders was just too much for Pace in combination with his cap-killing salary.

In hindsight, how much would Pace have improved that totally dysfunctional team last year? Would it have been worth two first rounders?

edo783
03-14-2006, 09:53 PM
As I recall, prevailing opinion on the board at the time was two first rounders was just too much for Pace in combination with his cap-killing salary.

In hindsight, how much would Pace have improved that totally dysfunctional team last year? Would it have been worth two first rounders?

Nope, never was and never will be.

chuckm
03-14-2006, 09:54 PM

he couldn't have hurt but it was too high a price IMO .... has anyone ever signed a Franchise player away from his team other than Cowboys/Galloway?

GP
03-15-2006, 09:29 AM
Raiders getting that BIG name (Randy Moss) helped them a lot, huh?

Casserly spends without throwing it all away to some BIG name as some of you wish he would, and you wish he would so that we will be the talk of the sports world and you'll feel good about your team again because Golic & Grenberg and the rest of sportsdom will be talking about us and how this "One big name will put us over the top this season..."

It's only natural to want the BIG names, in other words. But it doesn't translate into a sure-fire winning team. Culpepper is past his prime. The Cards don't have a QB to get it done. And the Saints are just flat-out cursed.

I think Casserly is just a scape goat for a lot of you because you think it's all monopoly money and it's not YOUR money so "why not get the BIG names?" And so you take your frustrations out on the guy who gets the players.

McNair is a smart man. He held off on Kubiak because Kubiak wasn't ripe...so he went with Dom...he let Dom go at the end of the year so a new HC would see that we treat people right...he got Kubiak because he realized Kubiak was finally ready, and Kubiak saw that Casserly gets his head coaches the players they want...and he kept Casserly because he knows that Cass is a good GM who gets his coaches the players they want.

Coach C.
03-15-2006, 09:54 AM
Casserly is probably going into NFL Management with the future replacement to Tags. We will likely have to acquire a new GM next year, but who knows Cass's moves might pay off and he might stay for a while. Not likely, but hey anything can happen. As far as the moves made, the coaches tell the GM what needs they want to fill, the scouts look at guys that can fill the position, the coaches tell the GM certain players they would like to fill that need and the GM goes and brings that player in. then the VP of Ops for the Texans Dan Ferens handles signing those players. If you want to blame someone blame Ferens. You can blame CC for PBuch and Babin, but part of that has to go on Capers and company, you have to blame the overpayment for mid level guys on Ferens.

el toro
03-15-2006, 10:13 AM
Apparently 5 offseasons won't be long enough either.

Imagine waiting decades for a winner.