PDA

View Full Version : Putzier updates/discussion

O.G.
03-14-2006, 01:32 PM
"Next week, former Denver tight end Jeb Putzier will visit Houston. Kubiak is hoping to sign him, too."

Just a clip of an article in today's Houston Chronicle. Here is the link to the page:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/3719091.html

Headlights of a Carr
03-14-2006, 05:31 PM
"Next week, former Denver tight end Jeb Putzier will visit Houston. Kubiak is hoping to sign him, too."

Just a clip of an article in today's Houston Chronicle. Here is the link to the page:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/3719091.html

I hope we sign him. I will be happy with him, Weaver, Rosenfels, Cook as add ons and hopefully Flanagan. We will have new faces on offense,defense, and the coaching staff. It's good to have a fresh start and put the 2005 season behind us. Come on draft. :redtowel:

Big78
03-14-2006, 05:38 PM
how is Jeb at blocking? i know that he is a pretty good reciever, but how's his blocking skills?

Coach C.
03-14-2006, 05:39 PM
he is a good reciever and an ok blocker. He is not going to wow you, but he will get in the way most of the time. I doubt that Jeb is not signed by the Texans unless he asks for just stupid money.

GP
03-14-2006, 05:46 PM
This guy has talent. I see him signing with us due to the Kubiak Factor.

Sarg01
03-14-2006, 06:09 PM
Let's just hope we don't end up calling him, "The Putz".

el toro
03-14-2006, 06:20 PM
Would be a decent pickup. Texans need guys who are going to fit their offense which Putzier just played in for the last however many seasons.

Mathis13
03-14-2006, 07:01 PM
I think we have a great combo of a great blocker in Bruener and some great hands in Putzier

PapaL
03-14-2006, 07:23 PM
he is a good reciever and an ok blocker. He is not going to wow you, but he will get in the way most of the time. I doubt that Jeb is not signed by the Texans unless he asks for just stupid money.

So that would make him our best block and receiving TE. Would love a guy like V.Davis from Maryland in the draft, but Putzier would be better then anything we have right now.

Mathis13
03-14-2006, 07:27 PM
So that would make him our best block and receiving TE. Would love a guy like V.Davis from Maryland in the draft, but Putzier would be better then anything we have right now.
Well it would be so much better if we got putzier and bush :yahoo:

DoCRoN
03-14-2006, 07:28 PM
I read a report that Putzier fell out of favor with the Denver coaches sometime this past season. I just moved back to TX from Denver 8 months ago and only recall "good things" being said about Jeb. Anyone know the scoop here?

:confused:

4Texans
03-14-2006, 07:33 PM
I read a report that Putzier fell out of favor with the Denver coaches sometime this past season. I just moved back to TX from Denver 8 months ago and only recall "good things" being said about Jeb. Anyone know the scoop here?

:confused:

I heard that on the radio this morning, so I'm curious to know just who he fell out of favor with?

edo783
03-14-2006, 09:10 PM
Putzier is:

Fair speed
Good Hands
Tough after the catch
Modest Blocker
Hard worker
Good Locker room guy

Bigest hit on him is he isn't a crushing blocker, but as Coach said, he will get in the way. The Broncos are/were looking for the crushing type blocker for the run game. When he catches the ball he just doesn't lose it even when smacked.

keyfro
03-14-2006, 09:11 PM
putzier would be a good addition...he won't be jason witten...sigh...but he would definetly be better than any TE we currently have on roster

TexanExile
03-14-2006, 09:33 PM
It's a good question--I've seen that reported in a couple of places, yet this Bronco-heavy coaching staff seems intent on taking a long look at him. What's the deal?

According to Len Pasquarelli, the Broncos didn't want to pay him a $1.5 million roster bonus. But his stats don't indicate a giant drop-off from '04 to '05 (receptions about the same, no TDs last year vs. only 2 in '04, average ypc slightly down, total yards down a bit)...so I'd tend to think the "out of favor" thing must be something off-the-field or just plain wrong.

Adam Schein at Foxsports.com interviewed Putzier and said Jeb definitely wants to get back with Kubiak: here's the story (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5399576) but note that not much else Schein predicted for the Texans has come to pass (yet).

He'd definitely be an upgrade for what the Texans have now...but he's not worth big huge $--you know, it's not like he's Morlon Greenwood. :heh:

O.G.
03-15-2006, 06:42 AM
It's a good question--I've seen that reported in a couple of places, yet this Bronco-heavy coaching staff seems intent on taking a long look at him. What's the deal?

According to Len Pasquarelli, the Broncos didn't want to pay him a $1.5 million roster bonus. But his stats don't indicate a giant drop-off from '04 to '05 (receptions about the same, no TDs last year vs. only 2 in '04, average ypc slightly down, total yards down a bit)...so I'd tend to think the "out of favor" thing must be something off-the-field or just plain wrong.

Adam Schein at Foxsports.com interviewed Putzier and said Jeb definitely wants to get back with Kubiak: here's the story (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5399576) but note that not much else Schein predicted for the Texans has come to pass (yet).

He'd definitely be an upgrade for what the Texans have now...but he's not worth big huge $--you know, it's not like he's Morlon Greenwood. :heh:

Here is that article from Fox:

Houston In talking to free-agent tight end Jeb Putzier on Wednesday, he made it clear that he would love to be reunited with former Denver offensive coordinator Gary Kubiak. Putzier would be an ideal fit for David Carr and the Texans offense. Houston also needs veteran help on the offensive line. Look for names like Jon Runyan and Jason Fabini to pop up. The Texans will explore John Abraham, Julian Peterson, and the vastly underrated Ben Leber.

If we get any othe players mentioned in addition to Putzier, we will be well on our way.

bigTEXan8
03-15-2006, 10:35 AM
Right now...I'm really hoping for Putzier. Good at blocking, good at receiving, just a solid TE. And like someone said, better than anything we have right now.

F-minus67
03-15-2006, 11:43 AM
This doesn't have to do with Putzier, but G Bob Hallen who the texans were looking at signned with the Browns.

TEXANS84
03-15-2006, 11:46 AM
The Texans will explore John Abraham, Julian Peterson, and the vastly underrated Ben Leber.

Leber would be good for me, and Abraham wants in the neighborhood of 15-17 million in guaranteed money. Something I hope Charlie wouldn't pay. :challenge

66cobra
03-15-2006, 01:03 PM
Leber signed with the Vikes on the 1st or 2nd day of FA; I liked him too, but he ended up with the first team he visited. I just want to see Putzier end up here because that guy is like a Timex - takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'. If we don't get Putzier or any other serviceable TE, I would not be surprised to see the Texans trade down to get Vernon Davis or take Fasano (Notre Dame), Thomas (Texas) or Klopfenstein (Colorado) in the 3rd or 4th round.

bigTEXan8
03-15-2006, 01:45 PM
Leber would be good for me, and Abraham wants in the neighborhood of 15-17 million in guaranteed money. Something I hope Charlie wouldn't pay. :challenge

I wouldn't mind getting Leber, especially since he'll be cheaper, I think, than Abraham and Peterson. Abraham is going to want to re-structure his contract no matter which team he ends up on.

el toro
03-15-2006, 01:46 PM
I think Leber ended up with the Vikes.

Maddict5
03-15-2006, 03:12 PM
Leber signed with the Vikes on the 1st or 2nd day of FA; I liked him too, but he ended up with the first team he visited. I just want to see Putzier end up here because that guy is like a Timex - takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'. If we don't get Putzier or any other serviceable TE, I would not be surprised to see the Texans trade down to get Vernon Davis or take Fasano (Notre Dame), Thomas (Texas) or Klopfenstein (Colorado) in the 3rd or 4th round.

i agree- he better be cheap when there are decent te's in the 3rd/4th round of the draft

ArlingtonTexan
03-16-2006, 12:50 PM
Texans | Putzier scheduled to visit team Sunday
Thu, 16 Mar 2006 09:39:15 -0800

Adam Caplan, of the Pro Football News and Injury Report, reports free agent TE Jeb Putzier (Broncos) will visit with the Houston Texans Sunday, March 19.

66cobra
03-16-2006, 01:02 PM
Hallelujah!!!! If we sign him, I think he would be an upgrade over anyone we have currently, except Bruener in the blocking department. The only person I would rather see than Putzier is Vernon Davis, the freak TE from Maryland

Meloy
03-16-2006, 01:32 PM
For a minute there I thought you were talking about Billy Miller.

bigTEXan8
03-16-2006, 01:38 PM
The sooner the Texans sign Putzier, the happier I'll be.

Meloy
03-16-2006, 01:48 PM
For what it is worth: John McClain has said that Putzier will sign next week. I emailed Charlie Pallilo some time ago and he said Texans are not interested in Abraham. I do not mind a trade down as mentioned above, but no way do I see H-town trading down for a tight end in first round. Come on! Many scouts are saying Bush may be the best back in HISTORY. Right or wrong that is hard to look away from for any trade package.

66cobra
03-16-2006, 01:56 PM
Back at you...Come on! Where did you hear the scouts saying "best back in HISTORY"? No doubt, Bush is an incredible talent and I would be happy to see him in a Texan uni but also undoubtedly the TE position is quickly becoming an important staple in the NFL offense instead of a dumpoff pass position. This is why I would be very, very happy to see Vernon Davis in steel blue uni this coming season.

whiskeyrbl
03-16-2006, 02:02 PM

Adam Caplan, of the Pro Football News and Injury Report, reports free agent TE Jeb Putzier (Broncos) will visit with the Houston Texans Sunday, March 19

TD143
03-16-2006, 02:28 PM
So that means on Monday probably someone ELSE will announce they've signed Jeb then. :stirpot:

M@DD Mike
03-16-2006, 06:30 PM
I like Putzier. He helped me win a fantasy game last season.

outofhnd
03-16-2006, 08:00 PM
We are running the denver Offense this year look for a lot of 2 TE 2 WR formations... Look for mathis to be in Lelies spot, JOhnson in rod smiths, Bruener in Hape or Alexanders spot, With Armstrong perhaps our slot receiver. Putzier will be in the same spot he was in denver. Heck for the slot (if we draft him) we can put Bush out there and put DD in the backfield.

Eyeguy
03-17-2006, 10:08 AM
from www.eastcoastsportsnews.com/2006Draft.html

" you heard it here first ...former Bronco TE Jeb Putizer will sign a multi-year deal with the Houston Texans where he will be reunited with Coach Gary Kubiak...Putizer is scheduled to fly to Houston this weekend."

Corrosion
03-17-2006, 10:09 AM
Link wouldnt work for me at first ..... took a few try's

chuckm
03-17-2006, 10:09 AM
sounds good to me .... I couldn't get the link to work though

Eyeguy
03-17-2006, 10:10 AM
sounds good to me .... I couldn't get the link to work though

Try now

killerklown24
03-17-2006, 10:27 AM
how is Jeb at blocking? i know that he is a pretty good reciever, but how's his blocking skills?

Living here in Denver, what's floating around here is that Putz is not a very good blocker. Also, one of the issues that Shanahan had was the contract that he had. The Broncos matched the offer from the Jets last year and the Broncos believe they have another TE on the roster that can block better than Putz.

He seemed to fall out of favor with the coaches towards the end of the season. He didn't even start the playoff game vs. Pittsburgh.

I myself am hoping he signs with our beloved Texans...

Bsacamano
03-17-2006, 10:41 AM
This guy is better than what we have, but I'd rather draft a TE in the 3rd or 4th round that has more upside. I guess as long as we sign him to a modest contract it would be ok.

the wonger need food
03-17-2006, 10:47 AM
It's a sad day when your biggest free agent acquisition is Jeb Putzier.

Give Uncle Charlie credit... every offseason he states "we're not going to be big players in the free agent market"... and he means it.

Porky
03-17-2006, 12:28 PM

Give Uncle Charlie credit... every offseason he states "we're not going to be big players in the free agent market"... and he means it.

Actually, Weaver would be our biggest FA signing, until/unless Bureleson signs.

Ibar_Harry
03-17-2006, 12:34 PM
Actually, Weaver would be our biggest FA signing, until/unless Bureleson signs.

Actually, Weaver might be far and away the best signing we have ever made in FA. We will have to wait and see on this one, but I'm very encouraged by what I have seen so far.

bigTEXan8
03-17-2006, 12:45 PM

When the Texans haven't had a decent TE that can both block and catch, then yeah, this could be the Texans biggest FA acquisition.

run-david-run
03-17-2006, 01:09 PM
When the Texans haven't had a decent TE that can both block and catch, then yeah, this could be the Texans biggest FA acquisition.
umm, when you dont have a strong-side DE on your roster, period, Weaver might be considered a pretty big signing. Unfortuantely, it means we wont get Mario, its a shame, got 6 sacks in one game with him on Madden (against Victor Riley-who said Madden wasnt realistic!)

bigTEXan8
03-17-2006, 01:49 PM
umm, when you dont have a strong-side DE on your roster, period, Weaver might be considered a pretty big signing. Unfortuantely, it means we wont get Mario, its a shame, got 6 sacks in one game with him on Madden (against Victor Riley-who said Madden wasnt realistic!)

Don't quit praying on me...or else

jerek
03-17-2006, 01:52 PM

I'm lost ... what makes Weaver that big time again? Serious question ... cause it isn't his stat line.

Give me Mario any day. Davis/Morency can get the job done. I like Bush, but I think Mario is going to have a bigger impact in the NFL.

And I still say Marcellus Rivers can and will be a good TE for us this year. Great hands, good size, fast enough to be a receiving threat. People keep talking like we don't have any pass-catching TEs on the roster, well that is because last year's regime used Breuner to block (which he is good at) and that was the extent of the TE position. Those few times Rivers came in and was thrown at, he caught it.

BrianC
03-17-2006, 02:41 PM
Wow dream scenario Andre, Burleson, Reggie Bush, and Putzier. David Carr would be in heaven if we could pull all that off, still need help on the O-Line and need to solidify the secondary though.

swisher
03-17-2006, 02:47 PM

Exactly how many teams made big free agent acquisitions? Arizona? Who else?

Dunta_23
03-17-2006, 02:59 PM
Cleveland... Washington

JAXwithanX
03-17-2006, 03:03 PM
Washington signed a bunch of players alright....quality players....but overvalued and overpayed like always. There is a reason they won't be under cap for several years....and still are a marginal team. Cleveland had loads of cap room i believe....the big winners right now are the Dolphins with their raping of the Vikings and the Saints, who got their biggest need in the offseason.....oh yeah, and without using their First Round Number 2 pick. Made out like bandits.

run-david-run
03-17-2006, 03:51 PM
I'm lost ... what makes Weaver that big time again? Serious question ... cause it isn't his stat line.

Give me Mario any day. Davis/Morency can get the job done. I like Bush, but I think Mario is going to have a bigger impact in the NFL.

And I still say Marcellus Rivers can and will be a good TE for us this year. Great hands, good size, fast enough to be a receiving threat. People keep talking like we don't have any pass-catching TEs on the roster, well that is because last year's regime used Breuner to block (which he is good at) and that was the extent of the TE position. Those few times Rivers came in and was thrown at, he caught it.
Hey, I want D'Brick and Mario ahead of Bush, but its not looking likely. Just because Weaver does not get to the QB often does not mean he dosnt fill a need. We were the worst rushing D in the league last season...all of a sudden a run-stuffer dosnt sound too bad.
Also, as I already said, we dont have anyone who was played Stong side DE on the roster. Weaver played DE for the Ravens the year after they won the SuperBowl with most of the guys that contributed to form one of the best D's of all time! That should tell you something about his talent. Despite some of the negativity of many member on this board toward this signing, no one can deny it fills a big need, even if it means we wont draft Mario...

run-david-run
03-17-2006, 03:54 PM
Washington signed a bunch of players alright....quality players....but overvalued and overpayed like always. There is a reason they won't be under cap for several years....and still are a marginal team. Cleveland had loads of cap room i believe....the big winners right now are the Dolphins with their raping of the Vikings and the Saints, who got their biggest need in the offseason.....oh yeah, and without using their First Round Number 2 pick. Made out like bandits.
Yeah, the Saints could be sitting pretty. Deuce should be healthy next year, Dante Stalworth is finnally showing the ability to catch the ball and Joe Horn is still Joe Horn, plus a Pro Bowl QB. Now they can either trade down or get D'Brick to protect their $60M investment, or get Mario to destroy other team's $60M investments.

Man, I wish we had beeten the 9ers...

texan279
03-17-2006, 04:24 PM
I went over to the Bronco's MB and asked for an opinion about Putzier and this is the only response I have gotten so far...

He didn't start because of poor blocking.

He's a sure handed receiver who'll take tough shots and hold onto the ball.

He's not a factor in the red zone. He will make timely catches on 3rd down.

In short, he's a finesse pass catching TE. He instantly knows Kubes offense and will make an immediate impact on the Texans passing game.

TexansJunkE
03-17-2006, 04:28 PM
Why sign this guy when we could sign one of the TE's in this years draft?

keyfro
03-17-2006, 04:29 PM
because of the relationship between kubiak and putzier...he already knows the system and would be able to help carr adjust to the system quicker than a rookie

BrianC
03-17-2006, 04:33 PM

guys the draft cant do EVERYTHING for us, we need to do whatever we can in Free Agency and then build on Free agency through the Draft. If we can get a starting TE in Free agency we dont have to worry about that on draft day and we can look at an O-Linemen or a safety or whatever we need at that point.

JAXwithanX
03-17-2006, 04:35 PM

Not to mention we don't need to be spending a 1st or 2nd rounder on a TE....and anything after those rounds as far as a TE goes should be considered a 'hopeful impact'....you have to realize players don't just step right out onto the field out of the 3rd or later rounds very often. We know Putzier can do that...and everything he is capable of. Which isn't possible in the draft, espeically the farther you get into it.

TexanFan881
03-17-2006, 04:40 PM
guys the draft cant do EVERYTHING for us, we need to do whatever we can in Free Agency and then build on Free agency through the Draft. If we can get a starting TE in Free agency we dont have to worry about that on draft day and we can look at an O-Linemen or a safety or whatever we need at that point.

Exactly. We can't improve every position through the draft and if we can get a TE without having to draft one that means we can use our picks to fill other holes.

keyfro
03-17-2006, 04:44 PM
exactly the draft isn't everything but it's a big part...the important part is to keep as many options open as possible...if we go into the draft with putzier, walter, burleson, and flanagan the draft is wide open for us to fix a lot of other problems...we can also look for those good value picks that if we still had those needs we wouldn't have the option of taking

BrianC
03-17-2006, 04:56 PM
Finally some people that get it haha

texman8
03-17-2006, 07:45 PM
exactly the draft isn't everything but it's a big part...the important part is to keep as many options open as possible...if we go into the draft with putzier, walter, burleson, and flanagan the draft is wide open for us to fix a lot of other problems...we can also look for those good value picks that if we still had those needs we wouldn't have the option of taking

Especially,if we pick up Burleson.... then we can go CB in 2nd to work opposite DRob. In 3rd, MLB and OL.

TexanFanInCC
03-17-2006, 07:49 PM
putzier would be a good addition...he won't be jason witten...sigh...but he would definetly be better than any TE we currently have on roster

he may be the best TE thats ever played for us (if he signs). billy miller was a serviceable guy, but not in the ballpark as putzier.

TexanFan881
03-17-2006, 07:58 PM
I think Putzier would be a great pickup and would be at least one of the greatest TE's in Houston Texans history.

WiiBrawler
03-17-2006, 08:49 PM
I think Putzier would be a great pickup and would be at least one of the greatest TE's in Houston Texans history.

lol:redtowel: lol:redtowel: He would be the best,except for billy miller

Scooter
03-18-2006, 04:53 AM

comming from a guy with a running back prospect as his avatar. :ok: the draft can do a lot for us if we play it smart, and even if we get jeb i think we still need to keep an eye out for TE's in the middle-late rounds.

ClintonPortis26
03-18-2006, 07:01 AM

Seriously....

I was hoping the Redskins could grab him considering he blocked for Clinton Portis at Denver but figured he would go to Houston or the Bears.

uhcougar08
03-18-2006, 07:40 PM
Especially,if we pick up Burleson.... then we can go CB in 2nd to work opposite DRob. In 3rd, MLB and OL.

We cant do that in the 3rd because, if I am not mistaken, Burleson would cost us our third round pick.

wags
03-19-2006, 10:45 AM

Adam Caplan, of the Pro Football News and Injury Report, reports free agent TE Jeb Putzier (Broncos) will visit with the Houston Texans Sunday, March 19.

Let's hope we can sign this guy today.

HOOK'EM
03-19-2006, 10:56 AM
That would be NICE!:drool:

bigTEXan8
03-19-2006, 10:58 AM
Let's hope we can sign this guy today.

I think that Kubiak will get Putzier signed...he realizes the importance of what Putzier could be to Carr. Putzier's agent has to realize that he could get some serious dough for Putzier...just look at the other FA signings. Not saying that those other FAs do or don't deserve it, but you have to admit, that's a nice chunk of change.

O.G.
03-19-2006, 11:17 AM
I think that Kubiak will get Putzier signed...he realizes the importance of what Putzier could be to Carr. Putzier's agent has to realize that he could get some serious dough for Putzier...just look at the other FA signings. Not saying that those other FAs do or don't deserve it, but you have to admit, that's a nice chunk of change.

I think the Texans will overpay alittle but won't get too obsurd. If the wouldn't break the bank for Givens, I doubt the do that for Putzier.

wags
03-19-2006, 11:39 AM
I think the Texans will overpay alittle but won't get too obsurd. If the wouldn't break the bank for Givens, I doubt the do that for Putzier.

Robert Royal got $2 million a year, so Putz should get more than that.

O.G.
03-19-2006, 11:52 AM
Robert Royal got $2 million a year, so Putz should get more than that.

I agree, some where in the 2.2 to 2.5 million a year range IMO

HOOK'EM
03-19-2006, 09:20 PM
GIT-R-DONE!:gotexans1

DominickDavisFan76
03-20-2006, 01:19 PM
I noticed that all these texans keep talking about putzier, but...............................we dont even have him yet do we?

whiskeyrbl
03-20-2006, 01:24 PM
I noticed that all these texans keep talking about putzier, but...............................we dont even have him yet do we?

They are meeting with him today. Putzier has said that he wanted to play here and Kubes says he wants him here. I think it is just a matter of getting a workable contract from both sides.I think he will be on the team by Wednsday at the latest.

DominickDavisFan76
03-20-2006, 01:48 PM
so its practically a guarantee? :confused:

whiskeyrbl
03-20-2006, 01:49 PM
Well nothing is guaranteed, but i think this is pretty close.

F-minus67
03-20-2006, 02:05 PM
Well it doesn't seem like anyone else is talking to him. Right now it would take someone openning fort knoxs for him not to sign here.

kbourda
03-20-2006, 02:47 PM
I feel that his signing will be a solid one. As well as the Cook one.

Dunta_23
03-20-2006, 03:03 PM
Seahawks | Team expresses an interest in Putzier; no visit planned
Mon, 20 Mar 2006 12:42:15 -0800

Adam Caplan, of Pro Football News and Injury Report, reports the Seattle Seahawks have expressed an interest in free agent TE Jeb Putzier (Broncos), but have yet to set up a visit.

Dunta_23
03-20-2006, 03:04 PM

TexanFan881
03-20-2006, 03:07 PM

Adam Caplan, of Pro Football News and Injury Report, reports the Seattle Seahawks have expressed an interest in free agent TE Jeb Putzier (Broncos), but have yet to set up a visit.

At least there is no visit plan. Hopefully we just give him what he wants and sign him.

bigTEXan8
03-20-2006, 03:10 PM

No...no no no no. They have a TE, Stevens I think...they don't need the one the Texans need.

PokerStar
03-20-2006, 03:12 PM
Once he is here there is almost no way we let him leave without signing a contract. The guy is the type of TE that Kubiak wants and after they have thoroughly gone over the TEs in the draft he knows that Putz is his guy. Lewis and Byrd are not worth the 33 pick and they will both be taken in the later 2nd. Klop and Fasano are solid, but not better than Putz matter of fact Klop is a lot like Putz. Day, Sheffler, and T.J. Williams can be had later in the draft so this frees up a pick on our first day.

TexanFan881
03-20-2006, 03:24 PM
Once he is here there is almost no way we let him leave without signing a contract. The guy is the type of TE that Kubiak wants and after they have thoroughly gone over the TEs in the draft he knows that Putz is his guy. Lewis and Byrd are not worth the 33 pick and they will both be taken in the later 2nd. Klop and Fasano are solid, but not better than Putz matter of fact Klop is a lot like Putz. Day, Sheffler, and T.J. Williams can be had later in the draft so this frees up a pick on our first day.

Your right. Let's just sign him as quick as we can.

keyfro
03-20-2006, 03:32 PM
couldn't agree more...let's sign him today and get this TE business done with

DominickDavisFan76
03-20-2006, 04:02 PM
ok so he can block, what does he do that is better than Mark Bruener?

Is he fast?
Does he catch better?
Is he tall?

what is so good about Putzier? :confused:

The Dude Abides
03-20-2006, 04:04 PM
All Bruener does is pretty much block. Putzier is a much better pass catching tight end.

whiskeyrbl
03-20-2006, 04:05 PM
yes
yes
yes

DominickDavisFan76
03-20-2006, 04:07 PM
How fast?
How strong?
And if he is tall, is he the kind of TE that can get up and go get a jump ball, kind of like Ben Watson, or Ben Troupe?

The Dude Abides
03-20-2006, 04:08 PM
If you want to compare tight ends and their stats throughout the league, here is a link.

http://www.fantasyfootballrealm.com/fbstats/te.php?cat=recyds04

Putzier was near the top in Yards per Catch. 13.3. That isn't too shabby for a tight end. I wouldn't mind a 10-15 catch increase though from his 36.

whiskeyrbl
03-20-2006, 04:12 PM
Jeb Putzier, TE, Free Agent Age: 27
Height: 6' 4"
Weight: 230 lbs.
In League: 5 Yrs
Depth Postion: n/a
College: Boise State
2005 Rankings

Contract Details
Putzier was under contract with the Broncos through 2009 but was released as a cap casualty on March 1, 2006.

2005 Season StatsWeek Opp Team Rec Rec Yds Rec Avg Rec TD
1 MIA 7 67 9.6 0
2 SD 1 16 16.0 0
3 KC 0 0 0.0 0
4 JAC 2 15 7.5 0
5 WAS 1 31 31.0 0
6 NE 3 32 10.7 0
7 NYG 3 19 6.3 0
8 PHI 2 39 19.5 0
10 OAK 3 33 11.0 0
11 NYJ 1 26 26.0 0
12 DAL 4 69 17.3 0
13 KC 4 50 12.5 0
14 BAL 1 8 8.0 0
15 BUF 3 56 18.7 0
16 OAK 1 17 17.0 0
17 SD 1 3 3.0 0
19 NE 3 37 12.3 0
20 PIT 4 55 13.8 0
TOTALS 44 573 13.0 0
Historical StatsYear Team G Rec Rec Yds Rec
Avg Rec TD 100+ Yd
games
2003 DEN 16 4 34 8.5 0 0
2004 DEN 16 36 572 15.9 2 0
2005 DEN 16 37 481 13.0 0 0
3yr Total 48 77 1087 14.1 2 0
3yr Avg 16 25 362 14.5 0 0
His GameJeb is considerably more athletic than his name or background indicate, as evidenced by a YAC mark (7.3) that ranked second among regular tight ends and a per-catch average (15.9) that bested both Antonio Gates and Tony Gonzalez in 2004.
www.nfl.com/profiles/putzierjeb

DominickDavisFan76
03-20-2006, 04:14 PM
Ok so now I know one thing about that denver offense, they never use the TE as a receiver in the Redzone(The part of the field that matters most)

because Putzier didnt have a single TD this year, or was their another TE, that they used in the Redzone?

The Dude Abides
03-20-2006, 04:15 PM
Ok so now I know one thing about that denver offense, they never use the TE as a receiver in the Redzone(The part of the field that matters most)

because Putzier didnt have a single TD this year, or was their another TE, that they used in the Redzone?

Well usually they can just run it in with their solid o-line or throw it to sure-handed Rod Smith

DominickDavisFan76
03-20-2006, 04:16 PM
................true..............:fans:

O.G.
03-20-2006, 04:17 PM
Putzier is 6'-4" 256lbs

TheOgre
03-20-2006, 04:18 PM
He averages nearly twice as many YPC as our guys from last year....

O.G.
03-20-2006, 04:23 PM
He averages nearly twice as many YPC as our guys from last year....

Yeah, and what I like, he can take a hit and keep the ball. Good Athlete and a smart athlete. We all know how many 3rd down conversions went to crap last year. I still have no clue why we didn't utilize our tight ends more as a whole these past 4 years.

kcwilson
03-20-2006, 04:24 PM
Putzier is probably no better/worse than a TE we could draft in teh 2nd round, and probably a much more desirable learning curve to the system that any TE we could get in teh draft. The position is such a galring weakness in our offense the last few years (especially given the rules changes the last few years).

I hope we have the consensus in the FO to get this one done and get him in house immediately. This would allow us to fic a WR in the draft with the 2nd, although I would rather sign a veteran WR now and focus on a OL in the 2nd round.

So anyone know how much cap sapce we would save by releasing Breuner.. couldn't be more than a 750k I imagine.

el toro
03-20-2006, 04:28 PM
A good pass-catching FB, RB, and TE will give Carr a plethora of options next season, especially with two decent wideouts. That, plus a better line, should give us Texans fans some fun Sundays next fall.

O.G.
03-20-2006, 04:32 PM
A good pass-catching FB, RB, and TE will give Carr a plethora of options next season, especially with two decent wideouts. That, plus a better line, should give us Texans fans some fun Sundays next fall.

Yes indeed. I believe that with at servicable offensive line, diversified offensive play book and the offensive weapons that will be available for him, he has the opportunity to pass for over 4,000 yards. Just my opinion. Look at his stats for the year before this one.

El Amigo Invisible
03-20-2006, 04:34 PM
Did we sign some people? What did I miss? They sucked yesterday :confused:

Porky
03-20-2006, 04:36 PM

Not to mention Reggie Bush. :drool:

keyfro
03-20-2006, 04:38 PM
i wish they would go ahead and annouce it already...although i guess the fact that we haven't seen anything on kffl.com saying he came and visited and left is a good sign...hopefully him and sam cowart are in negotiations along with mike flanagan

el toro
03-20-2006, 04:39 PM
Yes, Bush's skills will fit perfectly.

titan hater
03-20-2006, 04:39 PM
Not to mention Reggie Bush. :drool:
Correct me if I am wrong, but was not DD a pretty good pass catcher? I seem to remember a whole bunch of dump offs to him...Hmmmm

el toro
03-20-2006, 04:41 PM
Flanagan + Ashworth + Putzier would be a significant step forward for the line.

El Amigo Invisible
03-20-2006, 04:46 PM
Where are all the DD supporters? I am not one of them but drafting bush must be a slap in the face for him. Just like Car would take it personal if we drafted Vincent!!!:pigfly:

titan hater
03-20-2006, 04:48 PM
Where are all the DD supporters? I am not one of them but drafting bush must be a slap in the face for him. Just like Car would take it personal if we drafted Vincent!!!:pigfly:

BUT WE ARE NOT GOING TO DRAFT VY...Thank goodness...

El Amigo Invisible
03-20-2006, 04:51 PM
Think Randle Cunningham with better legs! :yahoo: You guys wont' be sorry when Vince comes home.

dirty steve
03-20-2006, 04:59 PM
Think Randle Cunningham with better legs! :yahoo: You guys wont' be sorry when Vince comes home.

as a visitor with another team!

uhcougar08
03-20-2006, 05:02 PM

I bet we can pay him 7 dollars an hour to be the water boy in three years. Then he finally will be home.

El Amigo Invisible
03-20-2006, 05:04 PM
Don't sweat it Vato! They know Reggie is gonna break his nail 3 weeks into the season !:stirpot:

GrandPa
03-20-2006, 05:25 PM
The one thing Putzier doesn't do well is block... and the one thing Houston doesn't do well is keep David Carr upright. It might look like a match made in heaven from the outside, but I don't think it's that great of a signing, other than that it gives the Texans someone else who knows the offense already.

O.G.
03-20-2006, 11:49 PM
We got him, how who's next on the list.

outofhnd
03-20-2006, 11:58 PM
No idea what is goin on at the O line position we prolly will continue to not know till april 30

Runner
03-21-2006, 12:17 AM
We got him, how who's next on the list.

I'd like an interior O-lineman, please.

O.G.
03-21-2006, 12:44 AM
I'd like an interior O-lineman, please.

Let's see where things go with Mike Flanagan. Also, Seth McKinney is scheduled to come in tomorrow and Steven Neal from the Patriots on Wednesday.

Malloy
03-21-2006, 01:32 AM
BUT WE ARE NOT GOING TO DRAFT VY...Thank goodness...

I think it's called an example...