PDA

View Full Version : Possible Center??? Jeff Faine

Dunta_23
03-12-2006, 01:17 PM
I was scanning along www.kffl.com and found this rumour....do you think the Texans would be interested?? Looks as though he was a 3 year started and is only 24. I have no idea what his salary is or what they would want as compensation.

Browns | Rumor alert: Team trying to trade Faine?
Sun, 12 Mar 2006 08:30:21 -0800

Bob Brookover, of the Philadelphia Inquirer, reports there is some talk the Cleveland Browns are trying to trade OC Jeff Faine. He is a three-year starter and former first-round draft pick who is just 24 years old.

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/396156

And in some other Texans news that I havent read...

Texans | Suber released
Sun, 12 Mar 2006 07:27:08 -0800

HoustonTexans.com reports the Houston Texans have released WR Allen Suber.

Texans | Team visits with Hallen
Sat, 11 Mar 2006 23:21:16 -0800

John McClain, of the Houston Chronicle, reports the Houston Texans visited with free agent OL Bob Hallen (Chargers) Saturday, March 11. The team would like to sign him.

Texans | Team visits with K. Walter
Sat, 11 Mar 2006 23:19:17 -0800

John McClain, of the Houston Chronicle, reports the Houston Texans visited with free agent WR Kevin Walter (Bengals) Saturday, March 11. The team would like to sign him.

Snapple
03-12-2006, 01:25 PM
He's better than nothing. If McKinney is moving over, I'd like to get a Center either second or third round in the draft or someone who has some starting experience. I'm tired of the talk over signing guys from other teams who aren't good enough to get a starting job anywhere but here.

YoungTexanFan
03-12-2006, 01:38 PM
I would take a first round Center and let him compete anyday. Unfortunatly, I can't say I really know anything about this guy yet.

texan279
03-12-2006, 01:55 PM
In 36 games played Faine has allowed 3 sacks and been penalized twice.

Snapple
03-12-2006, 01:56 PM

That's all I needed to know. SIGN THIS MAN!

Coach C.
03-12-2006, 01:56 PM
If no one is offering I would say make a call and offer a sixth and next year's sixth. why not.

Dunta_23
03-12-2006, 02:00 PM
They probably want to get rid of this guy after adding all of that salary to the OL...he may come at a cheap price...

wags
03-12-2006, 02:00 PM

Then why is he being replaced?

texan279
03-12-2006, 02:06 PM

It's just a rumor at this point and they signed LeCharles Bentley yesterday...

Dunta_23
03-12-2006, 02:06 PM
Cause Bentley is a 4 time probowler if Im not mistaken and may be the next "best" centre in the game

bigTEXan8
03-12-2006, 02:07 PM

He's going to want big money...just look at the stats:
36 games, 2 penalties, 3 sacks...c'mon.

edo783
03-12-2006, 02:07 PM
From KFFL:

Browns | Rumor alert: Team trying to trade Faine?
Sun, 12 Mar 2006 08:30:21 -0800
Bob Brookover, of the Philadelphia Inquirer, reports there is some talk the <A href="http://www.kffl.com/team/13/nfl">Cleveland Browns are trying to trade OC Jeff Faine (http://www.kffl.com/player/5932/nfl). He is a three-year starter and former first-round draft pick who is just 24 years old.

Dunta_23
03-12-2006, 02:08 PM
He is not a free agent..it would be a trade scenario...

BuffSoldier
03-12-2006, 02:09 PM
Exactly, and if this guy is as productive as 3 sacks in 36 games shows, then we would be in good shape by signing him.

Snapple
03-12-2006, 02:12 PM

Yes, why would we want "good" players? We must reject all players who look like they have a shred of talent before even looking at how much they're asking for him, because that's how you build a winning team.

Dunta_23
03-12-2006, 02:12 PM
Pssst. Check the thread titled "Possible centre."

huh?

BuffSoldier
03-12-2006, 02:13 PM
This guy is 6-3 and 291. That may be too small for a center playing in a regular offense, but he would be perfect for the zone blocking scheme. Kinda like Greg Eslinger from Minnesota.

Snapple
03-12-2006, 02:14 PM
huh?

My post made sense before the threads were merged. Nevermind it now.

YoungTexanFan
03-12-2006, 02:19 PM

They signed Bentley. This guy has trade value now.

YoungTexanFan
03-12-2006, 02:20 PM

Sold. Get him now. :)

Vinny
03-12-2006, 02:21 PM
In 36 games played Faine has allowed 3 sacks and been penalized twice.Faine has been "light in the loafers" so to speak (not much of a run blocker) and has been dissapointing as a first round pick. I was high on him years ago...but he really hasn't done much in Cleveland except compell them to spend big money on Bentley. I'd pick him up if he was waived but I am not sure I'd trade much for him.

YoungTexanFan
03-12-2006, 02:22 PM
Faine has been "light in the loafers" so to speak (not much of a run blocker) and has been dissapointing as a first round pick. I was high on him years ago...but he really hasn't done much in Cleveland. I'd pick him up if he was waived but I am not sure I'd trade much for him.

It doesn't appear as if they are asking much. He's young, has 1st/2nd round talent as a C, and has allowed only 3 sacks in about 2 years worth of games.

Vinny
03-12-2006, 02:25 PM
It doesn't appear as if they are asking much. He's young, has 1st/2nd round talent as a C, and has allowed only 3 sacks in about 2 years worth of games.Are you trying to say that you can tell how good a lineman is by a few stats that may or may not be accurate or is this your opinion after watching him play? You won't need to answer that.

YoungTexanFan
03-12-2006, 02:27 PM
Are you trying to say that you can tell how good a lineman is by a few stats that may or may not be accurate or is this your opinion after watching him play? You won't need to answer that.

haha...no need to call me out vinny.

This is my opinion. I cannot honestly say I've ever focused on this guy during a game.

Dunta_23
03-12-2006, 02:33 PM
I have personally never looked at the guy during a game...when I get a chance to see a Texans game on TV im always focusing on our players...but as a guy thats 24 and has 3 years under his belt starting...I think he is worth a look...and like somebody said he isnt prototypical centre size but may be just what we need as a ZB centre...then we dont need to focus on Mangold as much...but we dont know if Faine has all the intangibles that go along with being a centre...making line calls etc...

Snapple
03-12-2006, 02:36 PM
Are you trying to say that you can tell how good a lineman is by a few stats that may or may not be accurate or is this your opinion after watching him play? You won't need to answer that.

I think I can honestly say that without having seen him play, he's better than what we have now. Everyone is better than what we have now.

Coach C.
03-12-2006, 02:39 PM
Like I said Faine is solid, as solid as Weaver or Sage Rosenfals. Hell they got good money why not send them a low second day pick. Anything above a 5th and they get no deal. He is still signed for 2 or 3 years so we get him cheap for a year or two until he asks for some extra cash.

Vinny
03-12-2006, 02:40 PM
I think I can honestly say that without having seen him play, he's better than what we have now. Everyone is better than what we have now.Now that's what I like to hear. Blind guesses and psychic abilities when it comes to opinions on players....always add much needed insight. Thanks for the evaluation.

F-minus67
03-12-2006, 02:41 PM
I not sure where I hear or read it, but I think that he has had some sort of back or knee problems and can't keep weight on.

Snapple
03-12-2006, 02:47 PM
Now that's what I like to hear. Blind guesses and psychic abilities when it comes to opinions on players....always add much needed insight. Thanks for the evaluation.

I never said I know how good Faine is. I said anyone is better than who we have now, and the Centers we have to choose from are limited.

I don't know if you've noticed, but the past few years, we've been giving up a record-breaking number of sacks. Last year, they told us we could improve the O-line without making any big moves. We didn't get anyone in FA, and the only person we drafted was a backup Center late on the second day. And we ended up sucking again. Trying to make it work with what we have only made things worse. There have to be changes.

So we know Pitts is going to be the LT and McKinney is going to be the LG. That leaves three places where we have to find someone new, because what we have is not getting it done. It hasn't got it for for years, and last year we went 2-14.

Considering that we probably won't get Mangold unless we trade up, that gives us limited options on Centers, since past the first round-and-a-half, this year's draft isn't as deep at O-line as it looks.

So instead of shooting down the idea of getting Jeff Faine and every other idea people have to fix the O-line, please tell us what the answer is. I'd rather overpay than be stuck with crap again.

Vinny
03-12-2006, 02:50 PM
So instead of shooting down the idea of getting Jeff Faine and every other idea people have to fix the O-line, please tell us what the answer is. I'd rather overpay than be stuck with crap again.Taking other teams failed players just may be the way to go. You may be right.

Dunta_23
03-12-2006, 03:02 PM
Taking other teams failed players just may be the way to go. You may be right.

Have you watched enough of him to say that he is a failed playey after only 3 seasons?

Bubbajwp
03-12-2006, 03:06 PM
Have you watched enough of him to say that he is a failed playey after only 3 seasons?
I think we can assume that he failed considering he is being replaced. But who knows. Weirder things have happened

Dunta_23
03-12-2006, 03:08 PM
I think we can assume that he failed considering he is being replaced. But who knows. Weirder things have happened

Thats like saying drafting Reggie Bush means DD has failed...which is untrue..you do what you can do to improve your team...doesnt mean who was there before was a failure

Trap_Star
03-12-2006, 03:08 PM

Yep, do the browns know something we dont???:stirpot:

bATXle red
03-12-2006, 03:18 PM
the browns seem to be really be going all out in FA. they are getting some of the best players available at their position. Why would you keep two highly paid centers? It's an upgrade, who doesn't like an upgrade? whats wrong with an upgrade on our line? Like we have the depth to turn our noses up at first round lineman.

Dunta_23
03-12-2006, 03:25 PM
the browns seem to be really be going all out in FA. they are getting some of the best players available at their position. Why would you keep two highly paid centers? It's an upgrade, who doesn't like an upgrade? whats wrong with an upgrade on our line? Like we have the depth to turn our noses up at first round lineman.

Very true...the Browns are building the team aggressively through free agency...that doesnt mean what they have is junk...any lineman who was worthy of a 1st round pick and has not put up horrid stats should be considered

Errant Hothy
03-12-2006, 03:28 PM

Between him being replaced and the Browns trying to trade him away last year, I'd be willing ot bet there is some serious warts on either his game or his character.

If we didn't make a move for him last year why would we this year?

BuffSoldier
03-12-2006, 03:30 PM

Not necesarilly, like I sais before, at 6-3 and only 291 he may be a bit to small for a base blocking scheme. he may not have the strenght to blow the bigger DT/NTs off the ball in the running game. He is probably better suited for the zone blocking scheme. His stats say that he is at least a good pass protector.

awtysst
03-12-2006, 03:35 PM
Now that's what I like to hear. Blind guesses and psychic abilities when it comes to opinions on players....always add much needed insight. Thanks for the evaluation.

Vinny, I can guarantee you this. Thats right I GUARANTEE my next statement.
No matter how Faine is at center, I GUARANTEE, that he is better then....

Me!
And Vinny, at 5'10 165 I would be an undersized center in a regular offense but maybe I have potential in the Zone Blocking scheme!

Trap_Star
03-12-2006, 03:37 PM

Me!

You wanna put some money on that.......:hmmm: :jk:

Dunta_23
03-12-2006, 09:33 PM
any more news on this guy?

texman8
03-12-2006, 09:57 PM

Me!
And Vinny, at 5'10 165 I would be an undersized center in a regular offense but maybe I have potential in the Zone Blocking scheme!

Our center in high school was 5'7 , 150lbs, all district....LOL, (30 yrs ago) But he was good enough to get a baseball scholly from Rice as a catcher. I got you beat....5'6, 195 lbs....lower center of gravity,used to leg press 600 lbs...sigh....can't offer my services since iI'm over 50.

mexican_texan
03-12-2006, 10:05 PM
I got a paypal accout. Who wants to chip in?

whiskeyrbl
03-12-2006, 10:14 PM
Lets trade em PBuch and give them our 5th rd pick

YoungTexanFan
03-12-2006, 11:24 PM
can anyone pull up a scouting report for when he was first entering the league. Maybe his combine numbers and wunderlic scores. Something indicating good or bad interviews?

Is this too much to ask or not?

Vinny
03-12-2006, 11:28 PM
can anyone pull up a scouting report for when he was first entering the league. Maybe his combine numbers and wunderlic scores. Something indicating good or bad interviews?

Here ya go (http://www.google.com/)

YoungTexanFan
03-12-2006, 11:30 PM

almost cute there vinny... :cool:

TexanFan881
03-12-2006, 11:30 PM

lol:

YoungTexanFan
03-12-2006, 11:31 PM
I'm too lazy to look this stuff up right now, hence why I asked for it. I'm teeing off tommorow at 8 a.m., have to save my eyes.

TexanFan881
03-12-2006, 11:33 PM
Thanks to Vinny for the link, I was able to get you it :yahoo:

http://browns.scout.com/2/107296.html

Vinny
03-12-2006, 11:33 PM
I'm too lazy to look this stuff up right now, hence why I asked for it. I'm teeing off tommorow at 8 a.m., have to save my eyes.just messing with ya...I was big on Faine coming out of ND...He has struggled a bit with the Browns. Here are a couple of pre-struggle write ups.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/faine_jeff

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFLDraft/Draft+Extras/2003/profile021303.htm

:redtowel:

whiskeyrbl
03-12-2006, 11:40 PM

Jeff Faine
Position: Center
College: Notre Dame
Height: 6-2
Weight: 303
Hometown: Sanford, Fla.

Career Notes | Agility | High School | Personal | Stats

ANALYSIS
Positives: Has an even proportioned frame with adequate upper- and lower-body muscle definition Frame has room to add more bulk and muscle with no dropoff in quickness Has adequate quickness off the snap to gain advantage and above-average lateral agility to make the reach block Engages with force and uses his leg strength and balance to gain movement Shows good hand placement and agility to drive and sustain contact Will position and wall off with quickness and consistently sticks and finishes Has good body control on the move and can reach the second level with ease Sets quickly with good awareness and engages with leverage in pass protection Uses his hands well to control and sustain Shows the agility to slide and adjust on the move.
Negatives: While he shows good hand usage, he is not really that forceful upon contact Little bit of a waist bender Needs to improve his upper-body strength and extend his arms better to prevent the swim moves Can be pushed back into the quarterback as he does not always keep his feet flat Has good lateral agility, but that quickness is not always evident when attempting to adjust to linebackers when working in space Does not have the ideal power needed to turn up, seal and find the defender at the edge after his initial block.

CAREER NOTES
Three-year starter who has led the team's down linemen in minutes played during the last two seasons A solid drive blocker with good quickness off the snap, he shows superb hand usage when attempting to sustain blocks in pass protection.
2002 SEASON
All-America first-team selection by The NFL Draft Report, ESPN.com and The Sporting News Consensus all-independent first-team pick Finalist for the Rimington Award (nation's top center) and semi-finalist for the Lombardi Award (nation's top lineman) Recipient of the team's Nick Pietrosante Award (player who best exemplifies courage, loyalty, teamwork, dedication and pride) Started every game, registering 102 key blocks/knockdowns while grading 84 percent for blocking consistency Did not allow a sack as the Irish averaged 315.8 yards per game.
Michigan - Posted 11 knockdowns, including one that leveled linebacker Victor Hobson on QB Carlyle Holiday's 3-yard touchdown run.
Florida State - Upended linebacker Michael Boulware on tailback Ryan Grant's 2-yard scoring run as Notre Dame totaled 301 yards.
Michigan State - Was in on 12 knockdowns Cut blocked strong safety Thomas Wright to kill the blitz on Holiday's 15-yard touchdown pass to Maurice Stovall as the team gained 325 yards.
Pittsburgh - Teamed with guard Sean Mahan to upend linebacker Gerald Hayes on a 1-yard go-ahead touchdown run by Grant.
Air Force - Opened a rush lane used by Holiday for a game-winning 1-yard scoring run as the team piled up 335 yards on the ground.
2001 SEASON
Football News All-America honorable mention College Football News All-Independent first-team pick Led the team with 314:17 minutes of action Started every game, making 88 key blocks/knockdowns as the offense generated 3,187 yards.
2000 SEASON
Started every game, leading the team with 290:25 minutes of action Posted 65 knock- downs to help the offense generate 3,803 yards, an average of 345.7 yards per game.
1999 SEASON
Redshirted as a freshman.
INJURY REPORT
Played the entire 2001 West Virginia game with a foot sprain.
CAMPUS AGILITY TESTS
5.27 in the 40-yard dash 365-pound bench press 550-pound squat 286-pound power clean 28-inch vertical jump 32 3/8-inch arm length 9-inch hands.
COMBINE AGILITY TESTS
ARM HAND TEST 40 20 10 225 VJ BJ SHUTTLE CONE
32 9 5/8 23 :spy:

YoungTexanFan
03-12-2006, 11:41 PM
I found this one. He may be light, but does not seem to be overly adept for the zone scheme. He was also placed on IR for the Browns, and was a holdout.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/faine_jeff

Trenches
03-13-2006, 08:28 AM
If I'm not mistaken he has finished the last 3 seasons injured.

Maddict5
03-13-2006, 08:30 AM
from what ive read the main reason he was replaced is that he is a bit injury prone and a bit light- id still take a shot at him, even with a 4th

YoungTexanFan
03-13-2006, 08:47 AM
He has an injury problem, and was placed on IR before. He also was a contract hold out and he's only been in the league for 3 years. He wasn't worth where he was drafted, however, I would still pursue a trade for him.

TexanFan881
03-13-2006, 10:15 PM
Browns | Team not actively shopping Faine
Mon, 13 Mar 2006 18:54:23 -0800

Patrick McManamon, of the Akron Beacon Journal, reports the Cleveland Browns are not actively shopping C Jeff Faine. The Browns have fielded calls about Faine, but will not make a decision on his future for another week or two. If the team's past is any indication, the Browns will talk to Faine's agent first.

I don't think we would trade for him anyway

Wild.Bill
03-13-2006, 11:13 PM
I agree with Flanagan. Why should we even be messing with this guy if we have a shot a Flanagan. With Hodgen as a back up, that should solidify our center position. I think that should solidify our offensive line provided we draft Johnathon Scott or somebody of that caliber with our 2nd round draft pick.

mexican_texan
03-13-2006, 11:28 PM
I agree with Flanagan. Why should we even be messing with this guy if we have a shot a Flanagan. With Hodgen as a back up, that should solidify our center position. I think that should solidify our offensive line provided we draft Johnathon Scott or somebody of that caliber with our 2nd round draft pick.
Justin Blaylock? Or Will Allen a bit later?

So, when are we going to announce his 2 year, 15 billion dollar contract?

edo783
03-13-2006, 11:29 PM

True, and coupled with Putzier, that would put the Offense only short a true #2 which Bush would sort of fill. IF, IF, IF that all comes true AND actually works, that's more than I expected could be accomplished in one off season.

mexican_texan
03-13-2006, 11:33 PM
True, and coupled with Putzier, that would put the Offense only short a true #2 which Bush would sort of fill. IF, IF, IF that all comes true AND actually works, that's more than I expected could be accomplished in one off season.
What's with the Putzier love in this MB? The Broncos signed him to a contract last year because they believed what you believe: he is or will be a good TE. They ended up cutting him, I Bee-lieve.

So is Faine being shopped or not? We have a 7th round pick on its way to Cleveland already.

mexican_texan
03-21-2006, 04:33 PM
So, I just read on PFT.com that Jeff Faine has been given permission to seek a trade. Also, LeCharles RollsRoyce wants to wear double Bradford---I mean double zero as a tribute to Jim Otto.

Vinny
03-21-2006, 05:22 PM
So, I just read on PFT.com that Jeff Faine has been given permission to seek a trade. Also, LeCharles RollsRoyce wants to wear double Bradford---I mean double zero as a tribute to Jim Otto.That would be pretty cool. Kenny Burrough was the last (only?) Oiler with the number.

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com/nfl/tenhou/BurroughOil.jpg

Texas
03-21-2006, 06:13 PM
So are we still looking at this guy or no?