PDA

View Full Version : Its Time - Charley Needs To Be Released

throwANDREtheBALL
03-12-2006, 02:32 AM
So, Free Agency has begun......and look whats still happening

Overpaying every single player we bring in.

Anthony Weaver - Decent starter,but, now getting paid like a pro-bowler....for the amount of GUARANTEED money we're gonna give him, we coulda brought in Bentley or some other younger, more PRO-BOWLish player

Sage Rosenfels - WHO ? AND WHY ??????????????????????????????? COME ON

Jameel Cook - 3rd string FB, from TB. At least he can catch balls, I guess that's what Casserly saw in him? Was FB really our top need that we had to get this guy right away, before we spent the money on a GOOD - LT or C or MLB or WR or TE or CB or FS ??????????

Texans TARGETS:
Mike Flanagan - Texans interested in Center who isn't bad at all, but, older, and history of knee problems

Bob Hallen - Texans interested in OG who is scouted as a little better than average........WOO HOO.....lets give him a Wiegert-type contract and get the (franchise) suicide over with.

Honestly....Weaver is a decent signing and fills a hole, but, we overspent.....AGAIN. Sage, well, that was USELESS.......just another STEP back. AND interest in two more OLD lineman........JUST WHAT WE NEED, thanks CHARLEY.

Why don't we take a run at C - Justin Hartwig, who is still young, with lots of PRIME years ahead of him. Why not OG - Stephen Neal, who is also young, with winning experience from New England ? Why didn't we go after LT Kevin Shaffer ?...who signed with the BROWNS.

I don't know how FLANAGAN and HALLEN are going to really boost this line ?

AND how about the other Charley CASH-EARLY signings.......DAVID CARR and STEVE MCKINNEY. WOW, maybe the 2 guys that I would've liked most on ANY OTHER team, for the upcoming year.

WOW, Casserly is already grading out to an F-, for this off-season.

texan279
03-12-2006, 02:34 AM
Hartwig signed with the Panthers and Bentley is being paid $10 million more than we are paying Weaver...

Tailgate
03-12-2006, 03:18 AM
Who wasnt happy with our progress before last year??? Most everyone was in agreement that the Texans were on the right track and it showed with steady improvement year after year. No doubt we had a major setback last year... but I truly feel that we are on the verge of a quick turnaround. Dom capers style of playing everything close just didnt fit with our horrid pass to sack ratio.

BeerFan
03-12-2006, 06:11 AM
these types of signings by Casserly you have been criticizing didn't look so bad in 2004, did they? Let's chalk the whole thing up to JOE PENDRY syndrome and call it a day.

Capers really sucks too.

Coach C.
03-12-2006, 06:15 AM
It is not Casserly it is Ferens. Dan Ferens is responsible for just giving money out for no reason at all.

Aussie
03-12-2006, 06:23 AM
weaver is a solid signing givin his youth and overrall talent....i mean at least he is under 30 and has a brighter future than past.

Coach C.
03-12-2006, 06:35 AM
weaver is a solid signing givin his youth and overrall talent....i mean at least he is under 30 and has a brighter future than past.

A solid signing? Are you serious. What about 30+ tackles and about 3.5 sacks is overly solid since he has been starting. OHHH it is because he played in a 34 defense and the year he was in a 43 he was hurt. Yeah. We have enough DTs we dont need a guy that is not overly adept at rushing the QB. I mean we could have put TJ at the strongside if we were going to go this route. I am not nearly impressed with this signing.

angeltexus
03-12-2006, 06:37 AM
Everyone keeps saying Weaver is not much of a sach artist but has a motor that keeps running. Didn't we get rid of Capers with that kind of language. Again we are not getting a monster def rusher but a short slow roadbump and someone named Sage. Long year ahead in an Empty stadium:cool:

whiskeyrbl
03-12-2006, 07:05 AM

AND how about the other Charley CASH-EARLY signings.......DAVID CARR and STEVE MCKINNEY. WOW, maybe the 2 guys that I would've liked most on ANY OTHER team, for the upcoming year.

Maybe this is a move to shore up the line immediately so we can draft a couple of OL's,that will have seasoned vets to learn from while we try to win some games by keeping Carr off his back.(so much):rolleyes:

4Texans
03-12-2006, 07:16 AM

I don't care who's idea it was to sign this guy, but I agree. Who is he???? Never heard of him. What make's him so special?

Texas
03-12-2006, 10:41 AM
Fire Casserly...I dont beleive it is now time. I beleive it was now time last year.

Trenches
03-12-2006, 10:59 AM
I dont live in Houston anymore so I dont hear as much as I used to so pardon my ignorance, but, what reason did they give for keeping Casserly around? Or was the blame placed on Capers? Our drafts have been poor at best and we are now about where we started as an expansion team. And at least then we had a decent defense.

MorKnolle
03-12-2006, 11:08 AM
I dont live in Houston anymore so I dont hear as much as I used to so pardon my ignorance, but, what reason did they give for keeping Casserly around? Or was the blame placed on Capers? Our drafts have been poor at best and we are now about where we started as an expansion team. And at least then we had a decent defense.

They pointed most of the blame at Capers and basically said they'd see what Casserly can do with the new coaching staff, but I think his contract is up after this coming season so I doubt he stays after the 2006 season unless we have a serious turnaround this season.

CheckStation
03-12-2006, 12:04 PM
Obviously, the Texans’ GM still has his ill-equipped fingers in the pie. It does not take a Bill Walsh to understand, nor “fix” the dilemma. Stooge Ball is once again, alive and well in Houston.

With the Texans in dire straights, desperate for talent and depth at virtually every position on both sides of the ball; we sign a Fullback. A position that most NFL teams are eliminating (and for good reason).

Weaver? He is slightly above average at his position, but he is not a dominate player. You would be hard pressed to find anyone in the NFL to disagree with that statement.

So, Front Office, here is your shopping list in order of urgency: Offensive Left Guard, Middle Linebacker, Offensive Right Tackle, Tight End, Cornerback, Defensive End, Wide Receiver, Strong Safety, Running Back.

Don’t even think about keeping your number one pick. The Texans could have Bush and Shaun Alexander in the same backfield and still produce another 2 and 14 season.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Anthony Weaver - Decent starter,but, now getting paid like a pro-bowler....for the amount of GUARANTEED money we're gonna give him, we coulda brought in Bentley or some other younger, more PRO-BOWLish player

Jameel Cook - 3rd string FB, from TB. At least he can catch balls, I guess that's what Casserly saw in him? Was FB really our top need that we had to get this guy right away, before we spent the money on a GOOD - LT or C or MLB or WR or TE or CB or FS ??????????

Texans TARGETS:
Mike Flanagan - Texans interested in Center who isn't bad at all, but, older, and history of knee problems

Bob Hallen - Texans interested in OG who is scouted as a little better than average........WOO HOO.....lets give him a Wiegert-type contract and get the (franchise) suicide over with.

Honestly....Weaver is a decent signing and fills a hole, but, we overspent.....AGAIN. Sage, well, that was USELESS.......just another STEP back. AND interest in two more OLD lineman........JUST WHAT WE NEED, thanks CHARLEY.

Why don't we take a run at C - Justin Hartwig, who is still young, with lots of PRIME years ahead of him. Why not OG - Stephen Neal, who is also young, with winning experience from New England ? Why didn't we go after LT Kevin Shaffer ?...who signed with the BROWNS.

WOW, Casserly is already grading out to an F-, for this off-season.[/QUOTE]

bigTEXan8
03-12-2006, 12:04 PM
The Weaver deal I can accept, and I think is a decent pick-up. Cook sounds good to me, so I'm not upset with that one. Rosefels baffles me though. I figured he and Saban were getting on the same page towards the end of the 2005-06 year, but I guess I was wrong. Also, I figured Ragone was going to be moved up to the #2 spot on the QB chart, and if anything, the Texans would get some scrub to fill the #3 spot as an emergency. I don't know...I still have faith in Kubiak...:fans:

Marcus
03-12-2006, 12:17 PM
Can I ask a dumb question?

Why are you guys jumping all over Casserly when he's just doing what Kubiak is telling him to do?

Not over the 2-14 hangover yet?

Vinny
03-12-2006, 12:32 PM

Why are you guys jumping all over Casserly when he's just doing what Kubiak is telling him to do?

Not over the 2-14 hangover yet?probably because the boss man makes the decisions. Charley Casserly is here...and there is no sense pretending he isn't. This offseason looks like Casserly's previous offseasons so far.

profan
03-12-2006, 12:33 PM

Not over the 2-14 hangover yet?

My thoughts exactly. Kubiak praised casserly in the newspaper today for getting these guys. The coaching staff wanted these guys, but most of you on this board seem to know more than the coaches, etc. and probably did know more than the previous coaching staff, but, give these new guys a chance.

Snapple
03-12-2006, 12:35 PM
If Charlie Casserly has no say in what players we get, then what the Hell is his JOB? If Kubiak is asking for players and McNair is signing the checks, does Casserly just sit on his thumbs all day and get paid? I still don't understand what he's done to deserve keeping his job.

David's Busted Carr
03-12-2006, 01:14 PM
At this point I don't think Casserly is doing anything other than what he is TOLD to do by either McNair or Kubiak. He's got to be on an extremely short leash and there is NO WAY he's doing anything on his own.

That being said, I don't have a problem with any of the 3 signings they've made so far. Weaver is a young DE who has a chance to blossom if he stays healthy in a 4-3. Cook and Roselfels are backups, but they are decent and improve our depth.

And keep in mind that the most coveted FAs aren't going to be that easy to get in here. Guys like Bentley you will have to back up the brinks truck and even then you'll have other teams matching the money. And when you're coming off a 2-14 season it makes even harder...

Vinny
03-12-2006, 01:17 PM
Guys like Bentley you will have to back up the brinks truck and even then you'll have other teams matching the money. And when you're coming off a 2-14 season it makes even harder...We guaranteed Weaver more money than the Browns guaranteed Bentley. At least Bentley is a pro bowler.

CheckStation
03-12-2006, 01:23 PM
I could not agree more.

Daonly
03-12-2006, 01:43 PM
We guaranteed Weaver more money than the Browns guaranteed Bentley. At least Bentley is a pro bowler.

Who said Bentley wanted to come here? It's all about the Schemes not the Big Names... Pay a guy for the name, and watch him flop cuz his ego to big. A Team with a 2-14 Record (last in the league); Is going to have to pay some of it's players to come here. You guys are a trip! You act like Charley is behind on all personal decisions, Maybe the new Coaching Staff, and Scouts wanted these players? It's easy to play Monday Morning QB, and say we should get this guy or that; but that's why you're working your day job, and they are working in the NFL. :homer:

Coach C.
03-12-2006, 01:44 PM
My thought is if you are going to overpay then go after the guy with the track record. Weaver has been at best solid. Would any other team in the league give him 26M. I doubt it. Right now the rest of the league is laughing like damn they went and spent top dollar for a weak player again.

Vinny
03-12-2006, 01:53 PM
Who said Bentley wanted to come here? I never implied that. I said that we spent the same guaranteed money and we got a guy with a season high 5 sacks in his career and is pretty much another version of Travis Johnson. They got a pro bowler with their money. I'd have to say their spent change is a safer investment than ours.

swtbound07
03-12-2006, 01:55 PM
Who said Bentley wanted to come here? It's all about the Schemes not the Big Names... Pay a guy for the name, and watch him flop cuz his ego to big. A Team with a 2-14 Record (last in the league); Is going to have to pay some of it's players to come here. You guys are a trip! You act like Charley is behind on all personal decisions, Maybe the new Coaching Staff, and Scouts wanted these players? It's easy to play Monday Morning QB, and say we should get this guy or that; but that's why you're working your day job, and they are working in the NFL. :homer:

The fact that they suck at their jobs is why their day jobs are in jeopardy. Charley is our general manager...he SHOULD be behind personel decisons. Maybe the new coaching staff isnt doing anything better than the old one......jason babin, anthony weaver, todd wade, sage rosenfels, david carr. What do all these players have in common? Overpaid, underperforming.

throwANDREtheBALL
03-12-2006, 01:56 PM
QUOTED from DAONLY, "You act like Charley is behind on all personal decisions, Maybe the new Coaching Staff, and Scouts wanted these players? It's easy to play Monday Morning QB, and say we should get this guy or that; but that's why you're working your day job, and they are working in the NFL. "

OH.......ouch, I have a day job.

BIG DEAL, that doesn't mean that someone else out there can't do it better than me.

Same thing with CHARLEY, if you know ANYTHING about football or actually know how to WATCH/RATE players, then you know he's BAD at HIS day job.

I AM SICK of fellow TEXANS fans who stick up for this guy. He's worn out his welcome. HOW has he done that ? WELL, by sucking at his DAY JOB.

OK, OK
Let me simplify it, for my fellow fans who can't seem to put their own thoughts together.

WHAT is a GMs JOB ?
TO BRING IN GOOD PLAYERS. (PERIOD)

EVEN if capers/fellow coaches told him who to bring in throughout his entire time here, then he is a BAD GM, cuz he wasn't doing HIS job, but only letting someone else do it for him.

AND if he was the guy in charge of the moves......well, look what we have now.....THE worst team in the league.

SO, if KUBIAK and MCNAIR are telling him exactly what to do now, it doesn't speak to highly of his ability. YOU might even say, he SHOULD quit his DAY job. BUT, you'd only say that, IF, you could CONNECT a couple of BIG DOTS!

"PUT your helmets on BOYS, this OFF-SEASON is gonna HURT"
:brickwall

Daonly
03-12-2006, 02:05 PM
It's only a Day and a Half in Free Agency, Draft not here; Not even Mini Camps, Hell Training Camp, and you guys are already Complaining about the New Regime, Give it a chance.. See What Happens... I rather be us than the Vikes,Jets,49ers,Saints,Lions, or Bills.... You rather have the Dumb Bills owner and Levy? Or Benson from the Saints? Be Blessed My Friend Be Blessed. :homer:

bATXle red
03-12-2006, 02:08 PM
what FA would want to come to a 2-14 team without being guaranteed a truck load of money? it might be "overpaying" perhaps for a team with a winning record, but for the team that serves as the laughing stock of the NFL, i say it's not a bad aquisition.

yaboycm
03-12-2006, 02:20 PM

Texans TARGETS:

Weaver is a good signing but yeah, this guy loves to play the role of Santa Claus with a loose wallet and overpay. Wiegert, Greenwood, Weaver, etc.

stevo3883
03-12-2006, 02:22 PM
Weaver is a good signing, yes.

Paying him DOUBLE what he is worth is a HORRIBLE decision. What is he now? the 4th highest paid player on our team? He isn't even one of the top 25 DE's in the league.

Tailgate
03-12-2006, 02:25 PM
If Charlie Casserly has no say in what players we get, then what the Hell is his JOB? If Kubiak is asking for players and McNair is signing the checks, does Casserly just sit on his thumbs all day and get paid? I still don't understand what he's done to deserve keeping his job.

So what do you suggest?? Fire Casserly, then bring in another GM who would be getting the same requests from Kubiak on the direction and be in the exact same position?

Snapple
03-12-2006, 02:30 PM
So what do you suggest?? Fire Casserly, then bring in another GM who would be getting the same requests from Kubiak on the direction and be in the exact same position?

I'm not suggesting anything. I'm just asking what Casserly's job is since people are deflecting any blame off him, acting like he has no responsibilities to the team.

Maybe Kubiak shouldn't be making orders though. He was hired because he's a good coach, not because he's a good talent scout.

If McNair wants Kubiak to be the GM though, make him the GM. There's no point in paying Casserly money if he doesn't have a job to do.

DomDavis
03-12-2006, 02:40 PM

Every team needs backup quarterbacks. What's the problem here? It's hard to get stud quarterbacks to come when they have no chance to be a starter. It's roster filler.

Second string, and a spectacular special teams player. And the only reason he was on the bench was because of the presence of an annual Pro Bowler in Alstott. I don't really understand the point here. Why does it matter when we signed him? He signed for next to nothing. It's not like it has much impact on the other positions.

Texans TARGETS:

It's not like we have 100 million to throw around here. He's the seventh-rated center in the league on some lists, and you're complaining? What are we supposed to do?

Again, we don't have 100 million here. Sometimes you have to go after role players.

I don't like Casserly either. But your reasoning is ridiculous.

Tailgate
03-12-2006, 02:42 PM
I'm not suggesting anything. I'm just asking what Casserly's job is since people are deflecting any blame off him, acting like he has no responsibilities to the team.

Maybe Kubiak shouldn't be making orders though. He was hired because he's a good coach, not because he's a good talent scout.

If McNair wants Kubiak to be the GM though, make him the GM. There's no point in paying Casserly money if he doesn't have a job to do.

No one expected a 2-14 season last year. Again, most would have agreed that we were making the right moves and were on the right track before last season. It was so unexpected that its really hard to figure out where to place all the blame. I am not saying Casserly doesnt deserve his fair share. But in this case, lets be just a tad more open minded. Kubiak and his staff are bringing all new schemes to this team and it obvious you are going to want to work VERY closely withas your coaches on whom you decide to bring on board.

Daonly
03-12-2006, 02:43 PM
Weaver Rank number 15th of 50 out of the URFA's in DE's only to Aaron Kampman who resigned with the Packers. They also ranked Givens 9th out of 50 and The Best WR in free agency. I mean look like Charley and the Texans are trying to get solid players to me. :homer: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=2360759

Marcus
03-12-2006, 02:47 PM
Again, I'm going to ask the question for some of you who are a little slow on the uptake this afternoon.

If Kubiak is telling Casserly what players to go after, why no criticism of Kubiak? This reply of "well, if others are telling Casserly what to do, then what is his job?" is evading the question, not answering it.

Why are you not criticizing Kubiak and McNair about these signings, and how much they are being paid?

Sounds to me that you're just pissed that he wasn't fired after last season, and so there is no way that he escapes blame for the Iraq war, global warming, high gasoline prices and the levees breaking in New Orleans.

Someone else said it best. You're a trip.:crying: :crying: :crying:

Ibar_Harry
03-12-2006, 02:49 PM
Ony many an occasion I have stated Casserly is a GM who works with his coaches and not in a vaccum. You will find that these are the players Kubiack and others wanted. They have a plan, right or wrong, and these are players they believe fit into the plan.

In fact I would dare say if you watch closely at who they pick up in FA, you might have a clue of where they are going with the 1st round draft pick.

I, with many of you, am scratching my head with these picks, but so be it. The DE pick is understandible given our situation with respect to the D-line and I continue to have a feeling a big shake up is going to happen with the O and D lines.

Our big moves will be with the draft. Look for a lot of young blood this year. I'm guessing right now we are looking at TE, O-line or RB in the draft. The top people in these three positions are considered exceptional. As of right now, we have a more than decent back and we have picked up an O-line players in FA, but we have no TE, until BJ is available. Since he is a real question mark, I would say they are looking at the TE in the draft. I know that runs counter to what most are thinking, but for right now that's what I think is a real possiblility. As the FA moves along this view could change, but that's what it looks like right now.

LBC_Justin
03-12-2006, 04:18 PM
probably because the boss man makes the decisions. Charley Casserly is here...and there is no sense pretending he isn't. This offseason looks like Casserly's previous offseasons so far.Or you could say it looks like Denver's offseason last year.

Big78
03-12-2006, 04:33 PM

Texans TARGETS:

WOW, let's CAPITALIZE some more stuff. hey, and MAYBE we can capitalize some OF the words so it DOESN'T emphasise the the word we WANT it to. YAY!!!:sarcasm:

Snapple
03-12-2006, 04:37 PM
No one expected a 2-14 season last year. Again, most would have agreed that we were making the right moves and were on the right track before last season. It was so unexpected that its really hard to figure out where to place all the blame. I am not saying Casserly doesnt deserve his fair share. But in this case, lets be just a tad more open minded. Kubiak and his staff are bringing all new schemes to this team and it obvious you are going to want to work VERY closely withas your coaches on whom you decide to bring on board.

I am open-minded. In fact, I was all for bringing Kubiak on board since midway through last season. I haven't changed my mind. I think Kubiak will be a great coach.

All I asked, and still nobody has answered, is whether Casserly even has a job. If Casserly isn't picking out our team, and Casserly isn't signing the checks, and Casserly isn't the one who negotiated the large contract for our new DE, then why is Casserly even getting paid? Because it sounds like he's not doing a damn thing, literally. This is not me trying to criticize Coach Kubiak.

Having a general manager with ZERO responsibilities is not standard procedure for running a football team!

And just for the record, not that it has anything to do with what I've already said in this thread, but I don't think that Charlie Casserly has done a good job as GM, not including this off-season. In the past, he's ignored our needs or brought in crummy players to fill those needs. He way overpaid to get Jason Babin in the draft, and Babin has not lived up to his pricetag. He didn't do enough to address the alarming pass protection problems we had after the 2004 season, and we were even worse in 2005.

If he deserves to serve under a different coaching staff to see if it's Capers' fault and not his that the team is bad, then fine. But again, I don't see how you can evaluate Casserly as a GM when he isn't even making any of the decisions. It makes no sense.

Joe Texan
03-12-2006, 04:38 PM
This Rosenfels pick up will baffle most but makes since. He is a trainable QB for this system. Dave Ragone did gr8 in europe and is a Texan so he has sat down with GK. I believe GK is not satisfied with Ragones progress. GK feels Rosenfels will put more of a challenge on David Carr and if he progresses better than Carr does in the plan then we get a QB alot cheaper than the wallet vacuum we have now. David Carr has got to step up from the get go cause the free ride is over. David has also got to put the family down and play some football, spend time going over films and doing some homework with his players. This is an interesting offseason and will continue to make us all scratch our heads but I am faithfull we will beat the cowgirls this season.

DomDavis
03-12-2006, 04:40 PM
Anyone expecting Sage Rosenfels to put any heat whatsoever on David Carr is either misinformed or delusional.

edo783
03-12-2006, 05:01 PM
I think y'all may have missed something. Based on signings around the league, it looks like the cost of FAs has went up a lot. The Broncos just signed a DT NOT a DE (who are usually higher paid) 6 years 36 Mill. He is one of the guys that came from the Browns. Good player, but certainly not a probowler. Cost of labor is up + a premium for "Hey it's a crap team", so the Weaver contract ISN'T out of line IMO. Seems like most of the people crabbing about him were the ones in the "Mario with the 1st" club and now it looks more likely that that won't happen, so what they thought would be the best thing for the team to do probably won't be happening and that is coloring their views negativley.

cuppacoffee
03-12-2006, 05:19 PM
This Rosenfels pick up will baffle most but makes since. He is a trainable QB for this system. Dave Ragone did gr8 in europe and is a Texan so he has sat down with GK. I believe GK is not satisfied with Ragones progress. GK feels Rosenfels will put more of a challenge on David Carr and if he progresses better than Carr does in the plan then we get a QB alot cheaper than the wallet vacuum we have now. David Carr has got to step up from the get go cause the free ride is over. David has also got to put the family down and play some football, spend time going over films and doing some homework with his players. This is an interesting offseason and will continue to make us all scratch our heads but I am faithfull we will beat the cowgirls this season.

Huh ?

Put the family down? Play some football?

What does that mean??? :confused:

Spend time going over films? I don't have a clue how much time he spends in the film room and I seriously doubt that any MB posters know either.

Doing some homework with his players? Again, what exactly does this mean? idonno: -If you know, tell me.

While you are at it tell me how you know he doesn't do it often enough?

Carr bashers just love to make things up...

That's just what they do. :blah:

:coffee:

swtbound07
03-12-2006, 05:24 PM
Huh ?

Put the family down? Play some football?

What does that mean??? :confused:

Spend time going over films? I don't have a clue how much time he spends in the film room and I seriously doubt that any MB posters know either.

Doing some homework with his players? Again, what exactly does this mean? idonno: -If you know, tell me.

While you are at it tell me how you know he doesn't do it often enough?

Carr bashers just love to make things up...

That's just what they do. :blah:

:coffee:

Likewise, thats what carr supporters do. Make things up like....
Carr has talent! and....its all the coaching/recievers/line

cuppacoffee
03-12-2006, 05:39 PM

Now you got that off your chest, can you answer any of the questions I asked? Doubt it.

kcwilson
03-12-2006, 05:41 PM
Isn't this the part of the post where things turn negative about who we take with the #1, then someone comes in a bashes Reggie, says how great VY is because of the national championship... then the post gets hijacked... someone swears never to be a Texans fan again... then other people tell him to leave.

Can we just fast forward past all that?

I'd like to focus on the postive, which is the talk of bringing in a servicable TE in Jeb Putzier. I think that could be a very underrated addition to the team.
Casserly and Kube's would make me happy if they can do that... that seems like an achievable target given the history.

Joe Texan
03-12-2006, 09:21 PM
Huh ?

Put the family down? Play some football?David leaves practice and games as quick as he can to get home to the family, Sure family is important but when your banking on the job put a little overtime in.

What does that mean??? That means not this

I have heard from some very knowledgable people about Daves habbits and none of them involve going over the films. If he did half as much a Peyton Manning he might be worth his salary.

Doing some homework with his players? Again, what exactly does this mean? -If you know, tell me.
I have also talked with some very knowlegable people about this and it appears David is not on the same plane as his peers in the game.

While you are at it tell me how you know he doesn't do it often enough? I am Joe Texan thats what I do

Carr bashers just love to make things up... I am not bashing David Carr. I am holding him accountable for the cap space he is using.

That's just what they do. Again I am Joe Texan, Thats what I do

Is that a good enough answer

Hervoyel
03-12-2006, 09:28 PM
probably because the boss man makes the decisions. Charley Casserly is here...and there is no sense pretending he isn't. This offseason looks like Casserly's previous offseasons so far.

Well, technically speaking shouldn't it? Since we've all heard that the official party line is that the problem was coaching why wouldn't this offseason look like the previous three?

Now of course you (or I) may not entirely buy that or we may think it's complete hogwash but if the team thinks the problem was coaching and they brought in new coaches then that pretty much sums it up.

Personally I find it very discouraging. Weaver I'm ok with. Not thrilled mind you but ok. Past that I don't know what they think they're doing.

throwANDREtheBALL
03-13-2006, 12:48 AM
Did someone say that the TEXANS brought in Sage "Booed off Stage" Rosenfels, to PUSH david carr ?

hahhahah.........GOOD ONE.........Trust me, I'm not a David Carr fan in any way, but, I think Sage might be THE one and ONLY QB that can't PUSH David Carr.

That's the only reason that I can see for Casserly/Kubiak/President Bush/WHOEVER ELSE IS SUPPOSEDLY RUNNING THIS TEAM, bringing in the only QB who makes Carr and Ragone look good.

TEXANS picked up sage, to make the CARR hate-ers think their Starting QB is getting better. YEP, he's looking way better than SAGE.

SWEET, our starting QB is a little better than the REALLY BAD backups.

Kubiak to Casserly
"Hey Casserly, now lets go sign Bob 'a little bit better than average' Hallen to a Zach Weigert type contract."

Casserly answers
"OK, good idea Kubes, hey, thanks for letting me keep my job, even if I'm not really doing anything....and thanks for not telling Mcnair that I have absolutely no use to the team now, since I DON'T make ANY decisions anymore. I LOVE MY LIFE! Imagine, I actually had to make a decision again, or own up to my past mistakes.....I think I'd die if I was forced to do either of those."

THIS is FOR that GUY that DIDN'T like MY use OF capitalization IN my POSTS.....if YOU don't WANNA read IT, then DON'T

Erratic Assassin
03-13-2006, 07:55 AM

I realize you're joking, but Casserly will use that excuse (and probably get away with it again) when we're in the same sorry position 3 or 4 years from now.

It's inexcusable for Casserly to lay the blame on his subordinate for "making" him to it. I can't believe McNair let him get away with it. You're in charge Casserly, take responsibility. Nobody made you do anything. You were Capers' boss not the other way around.

chuckm
03-13-2006, 08:04 AM
Now that Capers/Pendry/..... et al are gone, Casserly is the "whipping boy du jour" .....

does (has) he made questionable decisions? Yep ....

has (did) he made some good decisions? Yep .....

how does his hit/miss ratio on decisions stack up against Mr Average NFL GM? Heck if I know .....

How much of his previous season's decision-making was done in league with Capers .... a fair amount according to what I've heard from "people who should know" McClain, ....

Does he know what he's doing? Does McNair have confidence in him? Is he afraid to make a tough decision? Should he be given the benefit of the doubt now that Kubiak's in place? Yes Yes No Yes IMO

TexasDiehard
03-13-2006, 08:50 AM
McNair does not fire Casserly and hire a top flight GM with proven talent evaluation skills. Instead, he keeps Casserly and hires a rookie head coach with no personnel evaluation skills to make the calls on free agents. The available cap room is squandered on overpaid nobodys who haven't proved anything in the NFL. What a shock that nothing has changed.

And more than half you knuckleheads want to pass on Vince Young and Reggie Bush to trade down for more picks that this cast of clowns will just piss away as they have every other pick but three since the franchise began. Two of those three (Robinson/Johnson) were top 10, almost no brainer draft picks.

It is amazing how so many on this board so eagerly support this disaster of a franchise and have so quickly accepted the losing mentality that is the direct result of McNair's unbelievably poor decision making. Since when did it become a virtue to slovenly side with losers?

pittbull
03-13-2006, 08:56 AM
when the inspector comes in and finds the house has roaches, termites, rats, ants, no studs, heck, how is it standing.......burn it down and start fresh with a new foundation....................The Texans need to do the same. Charley Casserly is a MAJOR reason we are in this situation, but McNair loves the guy for whatever reason. Bringing in a new coach only brings in an exterminator, but sooner or later the house will fall.......The organizational foundation is all screwed up!:brickwall

Frills
03-13-2006, 09:11 AM
http://imdb.com/title/tt0371606/

lessons taught in this movie

cuppacoffee
03-13-2006, 09:37 AM
Is that a good enough answer

Uh..NO..

My 'sources' :spy: close to the team, who shall remain as anonymous as your 'sources', tell me that Carr spends three nights a week at the stadium studying film before each game.

He then stays overnight after the games and studies more film.

After studying film Carr then pumps iron for four hours.

These same 'sources' tell me that Carr also goes out and drinks beer four nights a week with his teammates.

Sources also say they wouldn't be surprised if he decided to separate from his wife and children, in hope that it will make him a better leader and player.

See how easy it is to play the message board game.:shrug:

I am :coffee:..and its time for a refill.:)

jerek
03-13-2006, 09:50 AM

It is a far more readily verifiable fact that a player's supporting cast makes a significant difference in the individual player's success and W/L, than it is that Carr doesn't spend enough time with the team or spends too much time with his family (which necessarily correlates to him not being a good football player.)

The "family man" argument sucks and does not belong here, period. It is the leading stupid assumption made by most "Carr-haters" in a long line of stupid assumptions. The board is a place for opinion and hell, if that is yours, then it is your right to tout it, but just know that it makes your opinions look really ignorant.

Joe Texan
03-13-2006, 01:33 PM
You can Assume all you want but I do talk to people who have direct contact. I understand his christian ties but he has a team too. I know the after game comment is a lie. I also have witnessed the after practice actions on some occasions. He used to be respected by his teamates but things have changed. And the little tempertantrums are very unbecoming of a pro football starting QB who makes the money he does. As I have said I am holding him accountable for his paycheck.

Koolbrz
03-13-2006, 01:42 PM

Texans TARGETS:

CC should have been let go after the horrible yr the team had. For some reason he is still here. Only pick-up i agree with is A. Weaver. I really do hope that he is not the guy making decisions in the draft. If so, we all might be very disappointed and headed for another season from hell...

jerek
03-13-2006, 01:47 PM
You can Assume all you want but I do talk to people who have direct contact. I understand his christian ties but he has a team too. I know the after game comment is a lie. I also have witnessed the after practice actions on some occasions. He used to be respected by his teamates but things have changed. And the little tempertantrums are very unbecoming of a pro football starting QB who makes the money he does. As I have said I am holding him accountable for his paycheck.

That's cool. I also talk to people who have direct, daily contact. Weird how we seem to be receiving two very different stories. I won't say that yours is wrong, but I will say that I suspect it is.

I am Jerek, and I smite ignorance the world over. That's what I do.

TEXANS84
03-13-2006, 03:45 PM
You know what, just when I thought things couldn't be any worse with Charlie...Millen (Lions) signs Corey Bradford and totally redeems himself.

run-david-run
03-13-2006, 04:07 PM
My thought is if you are going to overpay then go after the guy with the track record. Weaver has been at best solid. Would any other team in the league give him 26M. I doubt it. Right now the rest of the league is laughing like damn they went and spent top dollar for a weak player again.
Defensive end is one of the highest paid positions in the NFL, along with QB, CB and LT. Weaver is a good player. Dont forget we were last in the league in run defense. We need a run stuffer at DE, especially SDE, just as badly as we need a pass rush. Overall, I think its going to be hard to get anyone better then Weaver this entire FA period, give him a chance to improve this team before you declare him a bust.

kcwilson
03-13-2006, 06:41 PM
Overall, I think its going to be hard to get anyone better then Weaver this entire FA period, give him a chance to improve this team before you declare him a bust.

Well said. Chaos theory runs-a-muck on this playground. I suppose if we had a long history of winning like the Lakers or Yankees that we could go out and get every top line player we want.

The nuts of this is that we are back in re-building mode, without the benefit of the expansion draft. Expectations must be re-set and the team will improve over time, the team must re-tool, and this is a multi-year plan to get it going, not a 1 year plan. Not all the moves will be made this year and the additions made so far I think put us in a good position to build off of.

For those that preach about 'youth'... all we have is that in D-Rob, Earl, and Brown in the 2nd-ary. I for one welcome a DE with the experience of being on a team that knows what it takes to be a top defensive unit, even if he wasn't #1 on the unit. I will pay for leadsership, as that is what I expect from him.

Kaiser Toro
03-13-2006, 06:47 PM
Well said. Chaos theory runs-a-muck on this playground. I suppose if we had a long history of winning like the Lakers or Yankees that we could go out and get every top line player we want.

The nuts of this is that we are back in re-building mode, without the benefit of the expansion draft. Expectations must be re-set and the team will improve over time, the team must re-tool, and this is a multi-year plan to get it going, not a 1 year plan. Not all the moves will be made this year and the additions made so far I think put us in a good position to build off of.

For those that preach about 'youth'... all we have is that in D-Rob, Earl, and Brown in the 2nd-ary. I for one welcome a DE with the experience of being on a team that knows what it takes to be a top defensive unit, even if he wasn't #1 on the unit. I will pay for leadsership, as that is what I expect from him.

Excellent post, but I need to hear more YOU in the delivery. I am kidding of course. About the delivery. :)

bkimble
03-13-2006, 06:52 PM
We need a wide reciever, a tight end, a Middle Linebacker, a starting QB, and a new GM. When are we going to sign a top free agent?

:redtowel:

SESupergenius
03-13-2006, 07:05 PM
I heard it from a very good source that Joe Texan is drinking while he posts here, so if this board has a Breathalizer http://www.cityscoot.com/images/breathalyzer.jpgbefore you could log on, Joe Texan could never post, and we wouldn't have to hear his wild rants and dizzying sentences.

Double Barrel
03-13-2006, 07:24 PM
lol: Half the board couldn't post if we had a breathalizer! :party:

Seriously, though, I think we need to get a grip. Mr. McNair has made his decisions, and Casserly is part of the 2006 Texans front office (for better or for worse).

As mentioned before, we did have a 7-9 team going into the 2005 off-season, and many of us agreed that coaching was the biggest problem with the 2-14 team. So it only stands to reason that many of our players have talent and just lacked leadership. Let's see what new coaching does, and then evaluate from there.

I have little doubt that Casserly will be gone next year if we have another disastrous season.

And if you don't like the decisions made so far, blame should be equally shared among ALL of the front office. Charlie's not out wheeling and dealing on his own. Our re-signs and new players are being endorsed by our new coaching staff, as well.

Joe Texan
03-16-2006, 01:38 AM
FFFWHAT aaaaaaaaaaaareth you talsking about, I woulds neferrer gets behond the keyboard afwter dwinkin.

Seriously I feel David the multimillionare QB we selected to lead our team to victory must and I reiterate Must be held accountable.
He Must lead this team and grasp the full attention of every player on offense. If not we are doomed with him at the wheel, But that all depends if he gets the wheel come regular season.

bkimble
03-16-2006, 07:24 AM
Guys, we've the worst GM in football. Maybe, worst than even Detriot's GM.
I've been said this for 4 years. Just look at his history. I'll bet anybody on this board that we don't win 7 games next season. This is scary suff. Same old song, same verse.

El Amigo Invisible
03-16-2006, 10:18 AM
I just have a question about last year's draft. I do not know anything about how Travis Johnson has progressed but he looks alittle undersized. I was talking to some KC fans and they are so happy with Derek Johnson. They say that he is getting faster and stronger. I know we needed some fresh legs on the line but TJ does not seem to be very good. We have no linebackers! :crying: Ok , We have no quality linebackers and DJ seemed to be a solid pick OR we could have moved up a couple of spots and picked Mike Williams or Demarcus Ware.No quality WRs right now except AJ. I am just so confused about that bone head move on draft day last year. I am afraid that history will repeat itself this year.:wherewill

Second Honeymoon
03-16-2006, 12:17 PM
1 David Carr Fresno State - D (some would say INC even after year 4)
2 Jabar Gaffney Florida - C
2 Chester Pitts San Diego State - C
3 Fred Weary Tennesse - D
3 Charles Hill Maryland - F
4 Jonathan Wells Ohio State - C

1 Andre Johnson Miami (FL) - A
2 Tony Hollings Georgia Tech - F
2 Ben Joppru Michigan - F
3 Antwan Peek Cincinnati - C
3 Seth Wand Northwest Missouri State - D
3 Dave Ragone Louisville - F
4 Domanick Davis Louisiana State - B

1 Dunta Robinson South Carolina - B
1 Jason Babin Western Michigan - F
2 Wasted Pick To Division Rival - F
3 Wasted Pick To Division Rival - F
4 Glenn Earl Notre Dame - C

1 Travis Johnson Florida State - C
2 Wasted Pick for PSuck - F
3 Vernand Morency Oklahoma State - C
4 Jerome Mathis Hampton - B

Only 4 players drafted in first four rounds with a rating of B or above. So only 4 good players drafted in 4 years of expansion drafting will be on our team next year (Mathis, AJ, Dunta and Domanick). Our 2003 and 2004 drafts were so bad they will be setting our franchise back for years. Yet people say it was coaching that have put the Texans in their present position. Wrong.

Talent > Coaching

Doug from The Woodlands

Joe Texan
03-17-2006, 05:53 PM
When I was in school I had to do extra homework for a D

So Does David.

Bubbajwp
03-17-2006, 06:04 PM
Guys, we've the worst GM in football. Maybe, worst than even Detriot's GM.
I've been said this for 4 years. Just look at his history. I'll bet anybody on this board that we don't win 7 games next season. This is scary suff. Same old song, same verse.

Hold on their chief I dont know about all this CC's worse than millen stuff. I mean CC might be bad but atleast he didnt draft a WR in the first round 3 years in a row.

There is only one thing that is garunteed in the draft and that is that the lions will take a WR in the first round.

TexanSam
03-17-2006, 06:18 PM
Seriously I feel David the multimillionare QB we selected to lead our team to victory must and I reiterate Must be held accountable.
He Must lead this team and grasp the full attention of every player on offense. If not we are doomed with him at the wheel, But that all depends if he gets the wheel come regular season.

I'm quite positive he'll be the starter at the beginning of the regular season. But you forget to mention the defense. It's not like it was all the offense's fault we sucked. Don't forget, our defense was ranked either 31st or 32nd. Either way, it's piss poor. So you can't lay all the blame on Carr.

HJam72
03-18-2006, 12:44 PM
My expert sources tell me that V. Young and Carr are lovers and they secretly hope to play for the same team. :confused:

They also tell me that Casserly is a figurehead and McNair has been playing GM for 4 yrs. Now McNair can see that he sucks at it and is going to make Casserly work for a living. Casserly is not happy at all.

Joe Texan
03-19-2006, 03:38 PM
I'm quite positive he'll be the starter at the beginning of the regular season. But you forget to mention the defense. It's not like it was all the offense's fault we sucked. Don't forget, our defense was ranked either 31st or 32nd. Either way, it's piss poor. So you can't lay all the blame on Carr.

I do not lay all the blame on Carr. The defense needs work and I agree. But on offense Davids pay makes him look like a good QB, while his play makes him look like a bottom sucker QB.

That needs to change by the first quarter of the first game or we need to start holding him accountable.

Ibar_Harry
03-19-2006, 03:44 PM
I do not lay all the blame on Carr. The defense needs work and I agree. But on offense Davids pay makes him look like a good QB, while his play makes him look like a bottom sucker QB.

That needs to change by the first quarter of the first game or we need to start holding him accountable.

Joe you will need to paint your whole face Red by the end of the season to match the embarassment. Oh, well, I just had to have a little fun with you. I think coaching, the system and a lot of other factors are why David has looked so bad. We will just have to wait and see like so many other players on this ball club. We know have a good to great coaching staff. Lets see what happens when they start the traning process. I'm going to be real interested to see how we look it the 1st exhibition game.