PDA

View Full Version : Rosenfels Signs with Texans

the wonger need food
03-11-2006, 02:18 PM
According to NFL.com Miami quarterback Sage Rosenfels will visit Houston today.... http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/9300482

Definitely an upgrade over Banks... and maybe over Carr as well.

bigcarlos
03-11-2006, 02:23 PM
According to NFL.com Miami quarterback Sage Rosenfels will visit Houston today.... http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/9300482

I disagree.
maybe an upgrade over Banks...and definitley over Carr
:)

Vinny
03-11-2006, 02:29 PM
I don't see how he is an upgrade over Banks. He is another prototype size guy with no instinct or intangibles with a career 49.5 completion % heading into season 6....The Texans seem to like ideal prototype guys who have no game instinct.

TexanFan881
03-11-2006, 02:34 PM
He was the #3 QB on the Miami Dolphins. Enough said.

MorKnolle
03-11-2006, 03:12 PM
I really don't understand them looking at Rosenfels, Brian Griese just got cut so I think he'd be a solid enough veteran (if he's willing to be a backup) and has experience with Kubiak's system, so I think if we can get him at a decent price that he should be our top choice at QB free agent signing.

Bubbajwp
03-11-2006, 03:14 PM
I really don't understand them looking at Rosenfels, Brian Griese just got cut so I think he'd be a solid enough veteran (if he's willing to be a backup) and has experience with Kubiak's system, so I think if we can get him at a decent price that he should be our top choice at QB free agent signing.
I think he will be demanding to much money.

MorKnolle
03-11-2006, 03:18 PM
I think he will be demanding to much money.

Yeah, I'm not sure how much money he'll be looking for and if he's trying to find a starting job or if he's content as a backup. I think he would at least be worth a call to come in for a workout and discuss contract requirements.

edo783
03-11-2006, 05:26 PM
According to ESPN, Tampa is trying to workout a deal to keep Griese.

Trap_Star
03-11-2006, 07:23 PM
I don't know Delhomme didn't play much for 5 seasons and became a good QB in Carolina after they gave him a chance. Who knows maybe he will be like Delhomme?:twocents:

I thought the next Delhomme was Dave Ragone......:confused:

TheRealJoker
03-11-2006, 07:28 PM
Delhomme was a backup for the Saints and was traded to the Panthers.

Jets2878
03-11-2006, 08:41 PM
I guess you guys signed Sage...

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/football/pro/dolphins/sfl-0311sage,0,6629793.story?coll=sfla-dolphins-front

Rosenfels agrees to terms with Texans

By Alex Marvez and Harvey Fialkov
Staff Writers
Posted March 11 2006, 9:07 PM EST

Dolphins free-agent backup quarterback Sage Rosenfels agreed to terms with the Houston Texans Saturday on a four-year deal worth $7 million, including a $2 million signing bonus, according to a source.

Rosenfels, 28, originally drafted by the Redskins in 2001, has been primarily a backup for the Dolphins since 2002. He made his first start in the 2004 season finale against the Ravens. Last season, he was beat out for the starting job by Gus Frerotte, however, an injured finger sustained by Frerotte gave Rosenfels his second career start against the Browns on Nov. 20.

Rosenfels struggled, going just 5 of 10 for 14 yards before being replaced by Frerotte in the 22-0 loss to the Browns. However, Rosenfels redeemed himself when he relieved a woozy Frerotte at the end of the third quarter of Game 12 with the Dolphins trailing the Bills 23-3.

Rosenfels completed 22 of 37 for 272 yards and two touchdowns to direct the Dolphins to a 24-23 victory, the greatest fourth-quarter comeback in franchise history.

Maddict5
03-11-2006, 08:45 PM
I guess you guys signed Sage...

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/football/pro/dolphins/sfl-0311sage,0,6629793.story?coll=sfla-dolphins-front

Rosenfels agrees to terms with Texans

By Alex Marvez and Harvey Fialkov
Staff Writers
Posted March 11 2006, 9:07 PM EST

Dolphins free-agent backup quarterback Sage Rosenfels agreed to terms with the Houston Texans Saturday on a four-year deal worth $7 million, including a $2 million signing bonus, according to a source.

Rosenfels, 28, originally drafted by the Redskins in 2001, has been primarily a backup for the Dolphins since 2002. He made his first start in the 2004 season finale against the Ravens. Last season, he was beat out for the starting job by Gus Frerotte, however, an injured finger sustained by Frerotte gave Rosenfels his second career start against the Browns on Nov. 20.

Rosenfels struggled, going just 5 of 10 for 14 yards before being replaced by Frerotte in the 22-0 loss to the Browns. However, Rosenfels redeemed himself when he relieved a woozy Frerotte at the end of the third quarter of Game 12 with the Dolphins trailing the Bills 23-3.

Rosenfels completed 22 of 37 for 272 yards and two touchdowns to direct the Dolphins to a 24-23 victory, the greatest fourth-quarter comeback in franchise history.

Brilliant. now nobody will expect us to draft VY:homer:

Snapple
03-11-2006, 09:41 PM
Brilliant. now nobody will expect us to draft VY:homer:

Haha, of course!

TexanExile
03-11-2006, 09:59 PM
He was the #3 QB on the Miami Dolphins. Enough said.

Whoa now, give the man some credit for his vanquished foes! :) He was the #2 man last season, ahead of the mighty Cleo Lemon.

This isn't an upgrade, but it gets the backup younger...it'll be interesting to see whether Rosenfels can beat out Ragone for the backup spot. One thing's been consistent in Miami, though...Sage is always a preseason MVP who looks like he's heading into a breakout year, then somehow manages to slide to the end of the bench. To be fair, last year was the first real regular season playing time he'd ever had, and it didn't start pretty. Maybe the move'll kick-start him and he'll be solid backup for the Texans.

BradK10
03-11-2006, 10:07 PM
we're giving that kinda money to a clipboard holder? wonderful...

The Dude Abides
03-11-2006, 10:09 PM
What exactly is the point of drafting/having Dave Ragone now?

Snapple
03-11-2006, 10:09 PM
Sage did some okay stuff last year when he played a few games. His first game against the Browns couldn't have gone worse, but he bounced back in a big way against the Bills and got like 300 yards and 2 TDs in a win. That's more than we'll ever get from a hack like Tony Banks.

What exactly is the point of drafting/having Dave Ragone now?

As a third-string QB, obviously.

Vinny
03-11-2006, 10:30 PM
The Texans seem to like ideal prototype guys who have no game instinct.I don't know Delhomme didn't play much for 5 seasons and became a good QB in Carolina after they gave him a chance. Who knows maybe he will be like Delhomme?:twocents:
Delhomme isn't a prototype anything at QB. He has an average arm, average body, and can't beat anyone in a footrace. He's the exact opposite type of player I was referring to. Delhomme is an excellent QB, but he is intangibles and instincts instead of ideal measurables.

Tulip
03-11-2006, 10:35 PM
Wouldn't it have been cheaper to keep Banks?

Snapple
03-11-2006, 10:42 PM
What's the point in even keeping Banks on the roster though? If he ever has to enter another game, it's a guaranteed loss. He couldn't even beat the Niners. The NINERS.

Not to mention Tony Banks once lost his starting job to TRENT DILFER.

Hell, even before he was on the Ravens, look what happened with the Rams. They were one of the worst teams in the league when he was starting. Then, when they exchanged Banks for Kurt Warner in '99, they went from junk to Superbowl champs overnight. That's how bad Tony Banks is.

There is no point is having him. We'd have a better shot at winning a game if we stuck Reggie Bush under center and ran an option offense than if we told Tony Banks to throw.

MorKnolle
03-11-2006, 10:43 PM
Wouldn't it have been cheaper to keep Banks?

Yes, I think it will be another half million or so a year. I'm not sure how much of an upgrade Rosenfels is over Banks, but he is younger and a little more mobile than Banks, but I really don't understand this move either, and I'm not real sure why they signed Anthony Weaver at all, especially for the money that they apparently signed him for.

What's the point in even keeping Banks on the roster though? If he ever has to enter another game, it's a guaranteed loss. He couldn't even beat the Niners. The NINERS.

Not to mention Tony Banks once lost his starting job to TRENT DILFER.

Hell, even before he was on the Ravens, look what happened with the Rams. They were one of the worst teams in the league when he was starting. Then, when they exchanged Banks for Kurt Warner in '99, they went from junk to Superbowl champs overnight. That's how bad Tony Banks is.

There is no point is having him. We'd have a better shot at winning a game if we stuck Reggie Bush under center and ran an option offense than if we told Tony Banks to throw.

Warner actually stepped in for Trent Green when he got injured.

bATXle red
03-11-2006, 10:47 PM
why didn't miami with all of their quarterback woes... um.. keep him? are we looking to push carr, or just spend too much on a backup?

Aussie
03-11-2006, 10:50 PM
man we should bring Moon back to houston.

Tulip
03-11-2006, 10:52 PM
Also, Scouts Inc. had Tony Banks graded higher on the free agent list than Sage Rosenfels.

I'm still not getting it.

edo783
03-11-2006, 11:14 PM
I'm not getting it either. Might be Banks told them he wasn't interested.

Blake
03-11-2006, 11:20 PM
we're giving that kinda money to a clipboard holder? wonderful...

What, did you expect him to play for free? This is the NFL. You pay big bucks for QB's. LIve with it. Nobody on this board ever thinks we got X player for the right price. Its always... "oh my god!!! We payed how much for this guy!!!!"

swtbound07
03-11-2006, 11:22 PM
What, did you expect him to play for free? This is the NFL. You pay big bucks for QB's. LIve with it. Nobody on this board ever thinks we got X player for the right price. Its always... "oh my god!!! We payed how much for this guy!!!!"

And arent we always right? Cough...todd wade. Cough...morlon greenwood. Cough....etc.

thegr8fan
03-11-2006, 11:33 PM
the main problem I have with this is the money now makes it a KNOWN fact that the Texans will NOT be looking at a QB as pick #1 anymore. Bush just made it to the top of the list, obviously he was already there or close to it, but it wasn't a 'for sure' thing, till we went and signed Rosenfels for this amount of money.

what is it with the Texans 'showing their cards' for the #1 pick so early in the offseason. :confused:

Nighthawk
03-11-2006, 11:35 PM

Maybe it's just that nobody can figure out WHY. I mean, if he was an unknown with great potential, or a solid older vet (Kitna), or various other things he's not, well, greatness! But, uh, it's Sage Rosenfels! He's got 3RD STRING tattooed on his forehead. He's not gonna push Lil' Davy Carr very hard--oh! could that be reason enough to sign him?

Beginning to believe Carr has something serious on McNair & Co.

Carr Bombed
03-11-2006, 11:37 PM
the main problem I have with this is the money now makes it a KNOWN fact that the Texans will NOT be looking at a QB as pick #1 anymore.

Wow I thought picking up Carr's option made that pretty apparent or maybe it would be the countless number of times the new FO backed Carr.

MorKnolle
03-11-2006, 11:37 PM
the main problem I have with this is the money now makes it a KNOWN fact that the Texans will NOT be looking at a QB as pick #1 anymore. Bush just made it to the top of the list, obviously he was already there or close to it, but it wasn't a 'for sure' thing, till we went and signed Rosenfels for this amount of money.

what is it with the Texans 'showing their cards' for the #1 pick so early in the offseason. :confused:

I think it was pretty obvious the Texans weren't going to take a QB at the #1 pick for the last couple weeks anyways, and I don't think many teams ever believed we were going to.

thegr8fan
03-11-2006, 11:43 PM
it is a difference between 'maybe' and 'definitely not', which is a huge difference when you are talking of trading with teams who ARE looking at QB's.

Carr being re-signed did not mean we would not look at a QB at #1. We could have very easily used the 'future prospect QB' who was going to get a year to learn the NFL. It would have been unusual, but not unheard of.

Rosenfels and his contract numbers means we are 'definitely NOT' now.

Errant Hothy
03-11-2006, 11:46 PM
Maybe it's just that nobody can figure out WHY. I mean, if he was an unknown with great potential, or a solid older vet (Kitna), or various other things he's not, well, greatness! But, uh, it's Sage Rosenfels! He's got 3RD STRING tattooed on his forehead. He's not gonna push Lil' Davy Carr very hard--oh! could that be reason enough to sign him?

Beginning to believe Carr has something serious on McNair & Co.

That last line shows how desperate some are to find anything they can to discredit the FACT that the current coach/OC/ and the special assistant to the GM (or whatever Reeves title is) believe in Carr. Kubiak knows more about caoching QBs then anyone on this board, past, present or future. Hell he probaly knows more about it then all of us put together. So why don't we step away from the hatorade and do like it says on teh money in our wallets:

"In Kubiak We Trust"

samomin
03-11-2006, 11:46 PM
Great, now Carr has to "fight" for the starting job against Ragone and Rosenfels. That's a battle to watch in training camp. :sarcasm:

Carr Bombed
03-11-2006, 11:50 PM
it is a difference between 'maybe' and 'definitely not', which is a huge difference when you are talking of trading with teams who ARE looking at QB's.

Carr being re-signed did not mean we would not look at a QB at #1. We could have very easily used the 'future prospect QB' who was going to get a year to learn the NFL. It would have been unusual, but not unheard of.

Rosenfels and his contract numbers means we are 'definitely NOT' now. Everybody in the know (i.e. everybody not named McClain or outside of Texas) knew we weren't taking a QB #1 before this move and this move only HELPS are efforts in trading down. It sends a message to all the people that DID have doubts (which wasn't many) that we aren't planning on taking a QB and might be willing to entertain trade offers, especially with Charlie's comments at the combine. This doesn't hurt our trade down efforts (if there is any) it only helps it.

thegr8fan
03-12-2006, 12:01 AM
It sends a message to all the people that DID have doubts (which wasn't many) that we aren't planning on taking a QB and might be willing to entertain trade offers, especially with Charlie's comments at the combine. This doesn't hurt our trade down efforts (if there is any) it only helps it.
It tells all involved that we are not going after a QB, so anyone wanting to trade to get their favorite one knows it is available, is that what you are saying? I can see the logic, but doesn't that box us into picking Bush in the event no one wants to 'pony up' for a trade? That is the part I don't like. We have just closed our own options off.

PapaL
03-12-2006, 12:11 AM
Besides the linked article, havent seen anything on any of the "Major" sports networks.

Vinny
03-12-2006, 12:12 AM
Besides the linked article, havent seen anything on any of the "Major" sports networks.Rosenfels doesn't attract too much press.

Carr Bombed
03-12-2006, 12:14 AM
It tells all involved that we are not going after a QB, so anyone wanting to trade to get their favorite one knows it is available, is that what you are saying? I can see the logic, but doesn't that box us into picking Bush in the event no one wants to 'pony up' for a trade? That is the part I don't like. We have just closed our own options off. When we picked up Carr's option it told the league that we weren't looking for a qb and as we stand right now I believe we are entertaining trading offers.

The thing that would hurt our trade offers the worst would be if N.O. acquires Brees, because that would mean teams wouldn't have to trade up to the #1 spot to get the QB of their choice, they could trade with N.O.

Just because we don't want a QB at #1 doesn't mean we are drafting bush, we have multiple needs, especially with D'Brick sitting there. Bush is just the national consensus #1 pick. Having said that, I do believe that if no solid offers present themselves we will draft Bush, but thats pretty much been the case all along.

MorKnolle
03-12-2006, 12:50 AM
Besides the linked article, havent seen anything on any of the "Major" sports networks.

I haven't either. I saw those couple articles on it but haven't seen it on NFL.com or ESPN.com transaction pages or free agent tracker pages and CNNSI.com doesn't have any mention of them either, and the Texans website only has something on Jameel Cook, so I wonder if these two deals have actually been finalized or if there is some speculation involved (at least the Rosenfels one had a specific salary mentioned, the Weaver one only has a ball-park figure that an article earlier in the day mentioned what he'd probably be looking for and that he was working out for the Texans today).

throwANDREtheBALL
03-12-2006, 02:01 AM
THIS has Charley Casserly written all over it.

Honestly, was 3rd string QB that much of a need ?

Sage "GET off the STAGE" Rosenfels

How do we bring in players like this and pay them millions to sit on the bench, when we have GLARING holes on the STARTING teams, on both sides of the ball, that haven't been addressed yet ?

COME ON CHARLEY, this is disgusting!!!

WHO is paying Charley under the table to sabotage this franchise ? Its so obvious, its pathetic.

TEXANS84
03-12-2006, 02:02 AM
I am utterly speachless after today's signings.

PapaL
03-12-2006, 08:39 AM
I haven't either. I saw those couple articles on it but haven't seen it on NFL.com or ESPN.com transaction pages or free agent tracker pages and CNNSI.com doesn't have any mention of them either, and the Texans website only has something on Jameel Cook, so I wonder if these two deals have actually been finalized or if there is some speculation involved (at least the Rosenfels one had a specific salary mentioned, the Weaver one only has a ball-park figure that an article earlier in the day mentioned what he'd probably be looking for and that he was working out for the Texans today).

Yeah I'm still not sure about this signing. If figure no one has reported it, the money seems to high for a possible 3rd QB. The real odd part is if we are in the market for a another QB, why not draft one late in the draft? They'd have the same experience as Sage, but at 5-7th round price.

Coach C.
03-12-2006, 08:40 AM
Because we like to spend money, I am with you and Mork I really hoping this all a bad dream.

Erratic Assassin
03-12-2006, 08:44 AM
I don't see how he is an upgrade over Banks. He is another prototype size guy with no instinct or intangibles with a career 49.5 completion % heading into season 6....The Texans seem to like ideal prototype guys who have no game instinct.

I wonder if we could lure Ryan Leaf back to the NFL.

thegr8fan
03-12-2006, 08:46 AM
I wonder if we could lure Ryan Leaf back to the NFL.you mean that isn't Ryan Leaf wearing the #8 Texans jersey we watched last year? :rolleyes:

PapaL
03-12-2006, 08:47 AM
Found it on KFFL.com:

Texans | Rosenfels signed
Sat, 11 Mar 2006 23:12:02 -0800

John McClain, of the Houston Chronicle, reports the Houston Texans have signed free agent QB Sage Rosenfels to a four-year, $6.4 million contract that included a $2 million signing bonus. He will take over for QB Tony Banks as the team's backup quarterback.

swtbound07
03-12-2006, 08:50 AM
Found it on KFFL.com:

John McClain, of the Houston Chronicle, reports the Houston Texans have signed free agent QB Sage Rosenfels to a four-year, $6.4 million contract that included a $2 million signing bonus. He will take over for QB Tony Banks as the team's backup quarterback.

Good lord. Still in kubiak and casserly we trust? Not this little lemming....Im gonna just go ahead and start crying that the sky is falling...4-12. Mark it.

PapaL
03-12-2006, 08:58 AM
Good lord. Still in kubiak and casserly we trust? Not this little lemming....Im gonna just go ahead and start crying that the sky is falling...4-12. Mark it.

That would mean a 2 game increase, YES! LoL. I still hoping someone backs out.

Kaiser Toro
03-12-2006, 09:09 AM
Wow. Kubiak will either go down as the greatest QB mind if he can get anything out of Carr and Rosenfels or someone that gets caught up in own headlines. Hopefully, this is not blind arrogance and that he can do the same thing for Carr and Rosenfels that his bio says he did for Elway, Young, Griese and Plummer.

Kubiak: Do you find my methods unsound?

KT: I do not see any method at all. Sir.

swtbound07
03-12-2006, 09:14 AM
Wow. Kubiak will either go down as the greatest QB mind if he can get anything out of Carr and Rosenfels or someone that gets caught up in own headlines. Hopefully, this is not blind arrogance and that he can do the same thing for Carr and Rosenfels that his bio says he did for Elway, Young, Griese and Plummer.

Brilliant. I would use it as a signature if it was shorter. All im saying, and listen closely folks. Thanks to the genius that is our front office and Gary Kubiak, our team, you know, the one with the porous offensive line, is now one bad sack away from the sage rosenfels era. Shudders.

chuckm
03-12-2006, 09:16 AM

just watched that movie last week for the first time .....

chuckm
03-12-2006, 09:32 AM
what's the average salary for an NFL backup QB? anyone know?

MorKnolle
03-12-2006, 10:02 AM
Found it on KFFL.com:

We just signed a QB for $1.6 million per year to compete with Dave Ragone for our #2 QB spot. I really don't know why we aren't going after Brian Griese, he's more of a seasoned veteran and has actually gotten significant playing time in the past, he's played for Kubiak in the past (even had a Pro Bowl year with him), and it probably wouldn't take much more money to bring him in than what we allegedly gave Rosenfels.

Kaiser Toro
03-12-2006, 10:13 AM
We just signed a QB for $1.6 million per year to compete with Dave Ragone for our #2 QB spot. I really don't know why we aren't going after Brian Griese, he's more of a seasoned veteran and has actually gotten significant playing time in the past, he's played for Kubiak in the past (even had a Pro Bowl year with him), and it probably wouldn't take much more money to bring him in than what we allegedly gave Rosenfels.

Totally agree and am scratching my head. Part of Kubiak's bio is Griese. Maybe the bio is looking more like fluff than substance. My worst fears are slowly beginning to grow legs.

Trenches
03-12-2006, 10:17 AM
THinking that Tampa wants Griese back. Maybe a promise to compete with Simms? Then again, why would u want to come to Houston and get pulverized behind our line?

swtbound07
03-12-2006, 10:18 AM
what's the average salary for an NFL backup QB? anyone know?

funny you should ask

http://www.thenfa.com/pdfs/salaries/nfa2005_salqbal.pdf

Im going off of the depth chart on each teams official site as far as to whom is 2nd string

AFC East
Buffalo Bills- J.P Losman 605,000
Miami Dolpins- (2005) Sage Rosenfels 605,000
New England Patriots- Doug Flutie 2,503,500
New York Jets- Vinny Testaverde 6,095,100

AFC North
Baltimore Ravens- Anthony Wright 1,604,400
Cleveland Browns-Charlie Frye 605,000
Cinncinati Bengals-Craig Krenzel 605,000
Pittsburgh Steelers-Charlie Batch 605,000

You can follow the rest of them on the spreadsheet, but some other salaries of note

David Carr- 8,575,800
Jon Kitna- 8,550,200
Byron Leftwich- 7,274,000
Carson Palmer- 3,781,500
Ben Rothlisberger- 4,028,000
Patrick Ramsey-5,341,800

Runner
03-12-2006, 10:22 AM
Maybe the bio is looking more like fluff than substance.

Too bad we couldn't get a guy with more solid football credentials, like the average poster on this board. :respect:

Kaiser Toro
03-12-2006, 10:36 AM
Too bad we couldn't get a guy with more solid football credentials, like the average poster on this board. :respect:

His value has always been on the X and O side. Practically everything I have seen to date has been the mark of a first year head coach or better yet the mark of a staff that has one coach that has had any head coaching experience. The workouts cannot start soon enough so we can actually see the Kubiak effect take hold.

chuckm
03-12-2006, 10:46 AM
funny you should ask

http://www.thenfa.com/pdfs/salaries/nfa2005_salqbal.pdf

Im going off of the depth chart on each teams official site as far as to whom is 2nd string

AFC East
Buffalo Bills- J.P Losman 605,000
Miami Dolpins- (2005) Sage Rosenfels 605,000
New England Patriots- Doug Flutie 2,503,500
New York Jets- Vinny Testaverde 6,095,100

AFC North
Baltimore Ravens- Anthony Wright 1,604,400
Cleveland Browns-Charlie Frye 605,000
Cinncinati Bengals-Craig Krenzel 605,000
Pittsburgh Steelers-Charlie Batch 605,000

so is Rosenfels overpaid based upon the rest of the NFL?

Runner
03-12-2006, 10:51 AM
His value has always been on the X and O side. Practically everything I have seen to date has been the mark of a first year head coach or better yet the mark of a staff that has one coach that has had any head coaching experience. The workouts cannot start soon enough so we can actually see the Kubiak effect take hold.

Right on. You don't walk into a chef's kitchen and judge the food before he's done.

Oh my gawd! The chicken is raw! He thinks we'll eat that?????

I personally don't mind waiting and seeing what happens. I enjoy the process of watching the team come together and just don't get too bent out of shape at this stage of the game. I went through the same kind of stuff watching the Spurs go from 20 game winners to champs. Yes, it's a different sport that can be dominated by a player or two, but it was fun to watch the process.

Enjoy the journey.

swtbound07
03-12-2006, 10:51 AM
as far as backups, yes. Generally, backups make about 600,000 a year. Thats what he used to make. Now he makes about 1.5 million a year, plus signing bonus.

Texans_Chick
03-12-2006, 11:08 AM

Can't say I am too thrilled by this move--I hope they know something we don't.

Reminds me some of the P Buch thing--they knew his weaknesses and strengths and thought they could coach him up. Arrogance. Confidence. Whatever.

Please let there be some exciting FA moves.

HardCoreTxn
03-12-2006, 11:19 AM
Im glad Banks is gone, he should have been gone alot sooner, Gifford Nielson would be an upgrade over him. I dont see how he started over Ragone in the 1st place. Banks is good about making 3 good plays then starts making huge mistakes.

Vinny
03-12-2006, 11:24 AM
Right on. You don't walk into a chef's kitchen and judge the food before he's done.

Ingredients have something to do with it. You can't make chicken salad out of chicken sheet....I don't care how good your chef is.

Runner
03-12-2006, 11:32 AM
Ingredients have something to do with it. You can't make chicken salad out of chicken sheet....I don't care how good your chef is.

True. However I don't think that Weaver is that bad. Cost may be a legitimate issue, but average skill is an upgrade for us in some positions.

I admit Rosenfels is a head scratcher to me too.

Vinny
03-12-2006, 11:39 AM
I admit Rosenfels is a head scratcher to me too.As in most sports this is a players game. Give Reggie White, Earl Campbell, Dan Marino, Jerry Rice or Joe Montanna any number of coaches and they are all great players. If you give Vince Lombardi Sage Rosenfelds and you will never pump out Bart Starr.

beerlover
03-12-2006, 11:40 AM
I'm wondering if its even possible to anyalize the disparity of talent between Rosenfels and that QB who played for UT last season taking them to a National Championship over USC? This is what the Texans end up with :confused:

I guess they saved a bunch of :money: on Carr insurance (mere 2 million signing bonus) :brickwall

swtbound07
03-12-2006, 11:44 AM
I'm wondering if its even possible to anyalize the disparity of talent between Rosenfels and that QB who played for UT last season taking them to a National Championship over USC? This is what the Texans end up with :confused:

I guess they saved a bunch of :money: on Carr insurance (mere 2 million signing bonus) :brickwall

best quote all day. :brickwall thats what i feel about our front office right now. my head hurts

DominickDavisFan76
03-12-2006, 11:50 AM
I dont see y we didnt just keep banks (i Hate Banks)
but their is no difference Rosenfels will still be #3 QB,because Im pretty sure Dave Ragone earned the #2 spot when he led the european team to the world bowl(Which they should of won, but the WR dropped a pass when he was alone in the endzone)

So y does Rosenfels wanna come here if he is gonna stay a #3 QB and never see anything except the bench.

Malloy
03-12-2006, 11:52 AM
I'm not getting it either. Might be Banks told them he wasn't interested.

That could very well be.

Vinny
I dont see y we didnt just keep banks (i Hate Banks)
but their is no difference Rosenfels will still be #3 QB,because Im pretty sure Dave Ragone earned the #2 spot when he led the european team to the world bowl(Which they should of won, but the WR dropped a pass when he was alone in the endzone)

So y does Rosenfels wanna come here if he is gonna stay a #3 QB and never see anything except the bench.So we give a QB3 6.4 million dollars? This money is QB2 money. I doubt we would pay out this kind of money for a guy who will be deactivated each Sunday....but, this IS the Texans we are talking about.

Coach C.
Not sure why we did not take the same offer to a guy like Brian Griese who could actually possibly challenge Carr.

Vinny
03-12-2006, 11:55 AM
Not sure why we did not take the same offer to a guy like Brian Griese who could actually possibly challenge Carr.When has it EVER looked like this franchise wanted to challenge Carr? All we have ever done is put him out on the field on spec.....with really nobody to push him at his position. Rosenfels couldn't push Gus Frerotte.

Malloy
03-12-2006, 11:57 AM
but, this IS the Texans we are talking about.

The Houston Texans smokescreen spreads :)

DominickDavisFan76
03-12-2006, 11:57 AM
just watch rosenfels does not have the skill to ever start for the texans, even if ragone and Carr get hurt they will sign a crappy *** QB for a 1 day contract just so they can play him instead of rosenfels on sunday
:mad:

infantrycak
03-12-2006, 12:00 PM
Not sure why we did not take the same offer to a guy like Brian Griese who could actually possibly challenge Carr.

Because that kind of offer would be useless to Griese. He is coming off a 5 year $32 mil contract. He was scheduled to make over $7 mil this year. No he won't get anything like that as a free agent, but he will probably get more than Sage. Don't like the Sage deal myself, but IMO Griese for the same money isn't realistic.

the wonger need food
03-12-2006, 12:02 PM
Rosenfels will challenge Carr for his job, at least more than Banks did. He only threw 61 passes but had a better YPA, a better QB rating and more passes over 40 yards than Davie Franchise. I agree that they could have done better, but it would be hard to do much worse than what we had at QB last season.

Is Rosenfels the first Jewish Texan???

TexansTrueFan
03-12-2006, 12:02 PM
well if the texans think carr is the man, what can we do besides sit back and HOPE they're right !?!?!?

Vinny
03-12-2006, 12:06 PM
well if the texans think carr is the man, what can we do besides sit back and HOPE they're right !?!?!?61 starts later and....we are still hoping.

Joe Texan
03-12-2006, 12:19 PM
Faith is strong, but who the hell is this rosey cheeks dude and why does he get millions when 800,000 sounds fair.

Come on Gary, Tell Charlie to go home

wags
03-12-2006, 12:53 PM
61 starts later and....we are still hoping.

Let's be fair... he's only started 59 games. :)

swtbound07
03-12-2006, 01:48 PM
and lets be fair...again i say, we are now only one bad sack away from the sage rosenfels era. God have mercy on us.

PapaL
03-12-2006, 01:54 PM
Now part of the ESPN.com (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2364565) article on Weaver:

The Texans also added unrestricted free-agent fullback Jameel Cook of Tampa Bay and quarterback Sage Rosenfels of Miami.

As well as NFL.com (http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/HOU/9302780)
Quarterback Sage Rosenfels was among three unrestricted free agents signed March 12 by the Houston Texans..

chuckm
03-12-2006, 02:10 PM
so is Rosenfels overpaid based upon the rest of the NFL?

so have we decided yet whether he's making more than the NFL average?

yaboycm
03-12-2006, 02:17 PM

Not

Nighthawk
03-12-2006, 04:02 PM
Because that kind of offer would be useless to Griese. He is coming off a 5 year $32 mil contract. He was scheduled to make over $7 mil this year. No he won't get anything like that as a free agent, but he will probably get more than Sage. Don't like the Sage deal myself, but IMO Griese for the same money isn't realistic.

They don't want Griese cause Griese might threaten our little Davy Boy.

bATXle red
03-12-2006, 04:18 PM
and lets be fair...again i say, we are now only one bad sack away from the sage rosenfels era. God have mercy on us.

i just look at it more as, we are no longer one bad sack away from another tony banks era.

i kinda like to see them shake it up. whatever was going on wasn't working that well before, maybe some good can come out of this. tony banks was never going to compete for anyone's job.

swtbound07
03-12-2006, 04:25 PM
just for grins, his stats

these are career numbers, by the by. So he got a million bucks for every career TD trhow?
CMP ATT YDS CMP% YPA LNG TD INT SACK RAT
54 109 776 49.5 7.12 77 6 6 3 68.4

his senior numbers
rushes yards pass attempt completion interceptions yards touchdowns
77 436 332 171 12 2300 8

vtech9
03-12-2006, 04:58 PM
Just curious, but if Sage gets cut in training camp, how much would the cap hit be. The reason I ask is because I think Ragone will beat out Sage as the #2. I also think the Texans will take a QB in the late rounds. So, if these two things happen, I could see Sage being cut. Remember, in the 1st season, the Texans signed a veteran QB (don't remember his name) to help tutor Carr, but he got cut after training camp.

swtbound07
03-12-2006, 05:28 PM
Just curious, but if Sage gets cut in training camp, how much would the cap hit be. The reason I ask is because I think Ragone will beat out Sage as the #2. I also think the Texans will take a QB in the late rounds. So, if these two things happen, I could see Sage being cut. Remember, in the 1st season, the Texans signed a veteran QB (don't remember his name) to help tutor Carr, but he got cut after training camp.

I dont think Sage will be cut.....i cant see us drafting a qb this year. Too many holes

kbourda
03-12-2006, 08:25 PM
This is clearly a move of faith in Carr. I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt on this move. It just seems as if we are not "swinging for the fences" so far in free agency. Maybe this is above CC or maybe this is CC call. Who knows? But I do know CC makes too many gambles. This is a wait and see.

Trenches
03-12-2006, 08:35 PM
what ever happened to B.J. Symons?

Frills
03-13-2006, 09:17 AM
what ever happened to B.J. Symons?

Injury in last season @ Tech

2 mil signing bonus, 4 years and some call that overpaid.

The football/cap IQ here is amazing

$7 mil over 4 years is too high, the same group also says that a 16 is high as well.

TEXANS84
03-13-2006, 09:23 AM
BJ is playing for the Berlin Thunder, allocated by the Chicago Bears:

http://www.nfleurope.com/players/playerpage/1050

Lucky
03-13-2006, 09:45 AM
Just curious, but if Sage gets cut in training camp, how much would the cap hit be.
His signing bonus.

thunderkyss
03-13-2006, 09:53 AM
I must say, I'm utterly confused myself(go figure)

McNair, CC, Kubiak, Dan Reeves says Carr is our man, and deserves an $8mill signing bonus plus his $5.25million salary= Good decision, trust in the FO.. Can't be wrong, because they know more about football & QBs especially, than I ever will.

However,
McNair, CC, Kubiak, Dan Reeves, Mike Sherman believe Rosenfell(sp) is worth a $2million signing bonus, plus a $1.6 million salary, and they don't know what the hell they are doing.........

and for the record, it'll be a while before Griese will sign with someone for $1.6 million. I don't think it's worth the time to sit and wait for him to sink that low.

Frills
03-13-2006, 10:01 AM
Fans in MIA were calling for Sage for a long time...Cower Jr didn't want to put him in, the one game where he did get to play a half, looked similar to when Carr got to call the plays in the 1st half of the AZ game.

SESupergenius
03-13-2006, 10:11 AM
Upgrade over Banks and possibly Carr? See it's post like this that get absolutley no cred.

So much for pushing Carr. We don't need a QB controversy but we at least need a capable backup when Carr goes down. Unless of course the thinking is that Ragone will be the #2 and can push Carr while Rosenbench is just clipboard material. How much is Rosenbench getting?

thunderkyss
03-13-2006, 10:41 AM
$2mil signing bonus?? $1.6mil a year??

NO, he's the #2 guy.... possible #1.

chuckm
03-13-2006, 10:45 AM
NO, he's the #2 guy.... possible #1.

bang the drum ..... :rolleyes:

thunderkyss
03-13-2006, 10:46 AM
bang the drum ..... :rolleyes:

what are you saying?? I play guitar, not drums.

bdiddy
03-13-2006, 10:55 AM
Good signing. He is a legit starting candidate especially in Kubiak's system. He will be an able backup that can put some pressure on Carr.

edo783
03-13-2006, 11:21 AM
Apparently a fairly solid guy for a back up. 1.6 Mill doesn't sound out of range. In the grand scheme of things, not much of a cap implication and we need 3 QBs. Seems to be a bunch of Pizzing and moaning about a couple of picks for depth at little money. Some folks just like to pizz and moan I guess. Not much to be concerned about IMO.

Kaiser Toro
03-13-2006, 11:23 AM
On a board that provides unabashed support for Carr I can easily see how people would see no problem with the Rosenfels signing.

chuckm
03-13-2006, 11:32 AM
I smiled when I read it ..... I would describe my support as tenuous rather than unabashed though ...

thunderkyss
03-13-2006, 11:37 AM
Apparently a fairly solid guy for a back up. 1.6 Mill doesn't sound out of range. In the grand scheme of things, not much of a cap implication and we need 3 QBs. Seems to be a bunch of Pizzing and moaning about a couple of picks for depth at little money. Some folks just like to pizz and moan I guess. Not much to be concerned about IMO.

personally, I'd like to move Ragone up the ladder, and take another project QB in the later rounds.... late 6 or 7.

SheTexan
03-13-2006, 11:38 AM
On a board that provides unabashed support for Carr I can easily see how people would see no problem with the Rosenfels signing.

Since when???!! This board is more anti-Carr than supportive!!

thunderkyss
03-13-2006, 11:45 AM
Since when??

kbourda
03-13-2006, 11:45 AM

But of course the bashing is undeserving, right?

Corrosion
03-13-2006, 11:50 AM
The one stat I like about Sage .... 61 att. last season and ZERO sacks

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/235151

At least he wont sack himself ......

SESupergenius
03-13-2006, 11:56 AM
I think this board has a wide diversity in the Great Carr Debate. I will go on record as being 3/4 on the Carr side, but this Rosenbench signing doesn't do anything to push Carr for his job. I would have like them to have brought in someone to challege Carr so that Carr can clearly be the guy after he beats them out and in addition I'd like us to have someone decent at the #2 spot when Carr goes down (because we don't address the oline AGAIn this year) preferabley somebody that can at least beat San Francisco. You're kidding yourself if you if you wanted Banks back.

texan279
03-18-2006, 02:00 PM
from www.kffl.com

Texans | Contract breakdown: Rosenfels
Sat, 18 Mar 2006 11:40:03 -0800

Houston Texans QB Sage Rosenfels signed a four-year contract with base salaries of $600,000 (2006), $1.1 million (2007), $1.35 million (2008), and $1.35 million (2009).

beerlover
03-18-2006, 02:07 PM
from www.kffl.com

Texans | Contract breakdown: Rosenfels
Sat, 18 Mar 2006 11:40:03 -0800

Houston Texans QB Sage Rosenfels signed a four-year contract with base salaries of $600,000 (2006), $1.1 million (2007), $1.35 million (2008), and $1.35 million (2009).

interesting his contract extends beyond Carr's :hmmm:

thunderkyss
03-18-2006, 02:43 PM
His salaries doesn't look out of wack for a back up QB with his experience..... cost of inflation and all.