PDA

View Full Version : Browns sign Bentley, Shafer, Jurevicius and Ted Washington

texan279
03-11-2006, 12:06 PM
from www.kffl.com

Browns | Team signs Bentley
Sat, 11 Mar 2006 09:55:37 -0800

Len Pasquarelli, of ESPN.com, reports the Cleveland Browns have agreed on a contract with free agent C LeCharles Bentley. Terms of the contract are not yet known.

RTP2110
03-11-2006, 12:07 PM

Len Pasquarelli, of ESPN.com, reports the Cleveland Browns have agreed on a contract with free agent C LeCharles Bentley. Terms of the contract are not yet known.

http://www.kffl.com/hotw/

ArlingtonTexan
03-11-2006, 12:14 PM
Kevin Shafer and LeCharles Bentley...talk about making a splash and adressing your needs

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2364025

tulexan
03-11-2006, 12:17 PM
they could have a pretty good offense next year assuming that Kellen Winslow actually plays and doesn't get injured.

infantrycak
03-11-2006, 12:17 PM
So much for all the Eagles/Bentley rumurs.

Texans34Life
03-11-2006, 12:37 PM
Damn, I wish we got those two....

We would of been set, right? :brickwall

Dunta_23
03-11-2006, 12:51 PM
I think the Browns will be in great shape with the addition of these 2 guys...Now I just hope we can steal Bryant from them, or maybe get Givens, because I dont see them getting Schaffer, Bentley and Givens

ArlingtonTexan
03-11-2006, 01:02 PM
We've been told our problems are coaching...not the players....:crying:

That message has been sent loud and clear, unless they have something going on they are not showing.

wags
03-11-2006, 01:15 PM
Browns | Contract update: L. Bentley
Sat, 11 Mar 2006 10:48:13 -0800

Sean Jensen, of the Pioneer Press, reports Cleveland Browns OL LeCharles Bentley's new deal with the Cleveland Browns is a six-year, $36 million contract. Bentley had serious talks with the Philadelphia Eagles, but the Browns put the heat on him, offering a contract that includes $12.5 million in guaranteed money up front and averages $6 million per year.

$36 million. Sounds good to me.

wags
03-11-2006, 01:16 PM
Browns | Team agrees in principle with Shaffer
Sat, 11 Mar 2006 09:55:56 -0800

Len Pasquarelli, of ESPN.com, reports the Cleveland Browns have agreed in principle to a contract with free agent OT Kevin Shaffer (Falcons). While details need to be worked out on Shaffer's contract, it will be a seven-year deal worth more than $5 million a year.

He didn't do bad either.

infantrycak
03-11-2006, 01:22 PM
That message has been sent loud and clear, unless they have something going on they are not showing.

I can understand them gambling on making some of the same players more productive, but there are some gaping holes such as FS, TE and DE where they better have some plan.

CyberTexan
03-11-2006, 01:31 PM
Well looks like Schaffer from Atlanta and Bently from the Saints are already signed with the Browns , boy Texans dropped the ball on those 2 did'nt they all I can say is I am very dissapointed we didnt at least get one of those 2 and they got both amazing . heres the link http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2364025

nunusguy
03-11-2006, 02:50 PM
"Sean Jensen, of the Pioneer Press, reports Cleveland Browns OL LeCharles Bentley's new deal with the Cleveland Browns is a six-year, $36 million contract. Bentley had serious talks with the Philadelphia Eagles, but the Browns put the heat on him, offering a contract that includes $12.5 million in guaranteed money up front and averages $6 million per year. "
The above is from a post by WAGS
That's a ton for any center or guard, but then the Browns have the pockets/cap space.
I dunno....wonder if that compensation amount is a record for a FA center or guard ?

infantrycak
03-11-2006, 02:56 PM
Kampman (DE), Schoebel (TE) and Cory Chavous (FS) are off the board. Perhaps Matt Stevens is still out there?

Kampman I can understand losing out on because he resigned with the Packers--did he even talk to anyone else? Is Matt Schobel an improvement on Rivers/Bruener?

Marlon McCree is still out there and can play FS along with Chris Hope. I would rather see moderate contracts to McCree, Putzier and Antonio Bryant than a Wade signing of Weaver who while capable doesn't seem to be a big enough difference from Walker playing DE and they are going to have to pay Walker to leave.

MorKnolle
03-11-2006, 02:57 PM
I would have liked to have either of those guys to come to the Texans, especially Bentley, but that's a lot more money than I was willing to give up for either. $6 million a year for a OG/C is a lot of money and surely one of the highest 2-3 paid in the league. We already drastically overpaid for Todd Wade a couple years ago and I believe he is currently the 2nd highest paid RT in the league behind Robert Gallery, so I would not have wanted to give a huge contract out for another OT. I'm hoping Wade will be cut after the June 1st deadline, but still Shaffer is not worth another $6 million a year to me.

Kampman I can understand losing out on because he resigned with the Packers--did he even talk to anyone else? Is Matt Schobel an improvement on Rivers/Bruener?

Marlon McCree is still out there and can play FS along with Chris Hope. I would rather see moderate contracts to McCree, Putzier and Antonio Bryant than a Wade signing of Weaver who while capable doesn't seem to be a big enough difference from Walker playing DE and they are going to have to pay Walker to leave.

Walker is supposed to be getting released after June 1 so his cap hit will be spread out over two years, and if I'm not mistaken that will end up saving us $2.25-2.5 million against the cap in 2006. Hopefully Todd Wade will be released then too (I think that will save another $1.8-1.9 million against the 2006 cap).

tulexan
03-11-2006, 03:44 PM
They are probably more concerned about protecting Charlie Frye than Trent Dilfer

Texans>Colts
03-11-2006, 04:51 PM
Browns All the Way Man:jam: :banana: :coolb: :jumpbanan They actually don't have that bad of a team now. Their o-line is now decent or people can say good and if the other people stay healthy like Edwards, Winslow, and Droughns there offense is good. And Frye needs to step it up. If there Defense plays like they did last year (ranked 9th in NFL) they are a playoff team

texan279
03-11-2006, 04:59 PM
per www.kffl.com the Browns have also signed Joe Jurevicius

Browns | Jurevicius agrees to a four-year deal
Sat, 11 Mar 2006 14:49:29 -0800

Adam Schefter, of the NFL Network, reports free agent WR Joe Jurevicius (Seahawks) has agreed to a four-year deal worth about $10 million with the Cleveland Browns.

TexanBacker93
03-11-2006, 05:01 PM
I think the Browns had an advantage with Bentley coming from Cleveland and wanting to play for the team he grew up rooting for. The Browns had $15 million more to spend than the Texans so they could throw a higher amount out there than almost anyone.

I also feel that players that sign on the first day are pretty much going where they were wanting to go. It's not like he gave teams any opportunity to visit. Don't say the Texans dropped the ball unless you know that Bentley's agent called Houston and they said they're not interested. He turned down San Diego for a visit which had the money to spend as well. He wants to be a Brown. Good for him. When his contact expires and the Browns still have never been to the Super Bowl he can come to Houston as a reserve center and help the Texans win their 3rd Super Bowl in a row.

Texans>Colts
03-11-2006, 05:04 PM
Browns are on fire today. They have already signed 3 people

Maddict5
03-11-2006, 06:29 PM
Afc north now challenging the afc west for best division in football. theres going to be a cardinal-esque bandwagon for the brownies this year- this 1 has a shot though. still dont see them making it because of the division

Trap_Star
03-11-2006, 06:36 PM
from www.kffl.com

:crying: :brickwall :crying: :brickwall

Texans86
03-11-2006, 06:41 PM
It's sad but true. Bentley is now the highest paid center of all time.

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news_room/news/arts/5206.0.html

Nighthawk
03-11-2006, 07:10 PM
Am I nuts or are they smokin'? Putting out money and getting good value.

Trap_Star
03-11-2006, 07:11 PM

They're smokin'.....and i want some of that.....:)

Texans Pride
03-11-2006, 07:28 PM
Does this have something to do with us?

Bongo59
03-11-2006, 07:29 PM
they still have no QB.............unless you like Frye............they have two guys coming back from an ACL at TE and WR...............and they just paid 6 mil a yr for a C...........when a Franchise QB only gets about 8 mil a yr...............not too smart for me.

tulexan
03-11-2006, 07:45 PM
Frye is their QB of the future.

HoustonFrog
03-11-2006, 11:25 PM

Amazing that a team can have a plan for a line and got for it. :) I'm seeing patterns again. I keep hearing a chant in my sleep..Chaaarrrrrrlllie!!Kidding...maybe.;)

MorKnolle
03-11-2006, 11:49 PM
Bentley's deal makes him the highest paid center in NFL history, although I would have liked to see him in a Texans uniform I didn't want us to pay anywhere near what he got, not even within $8-9 million of his total salary.