he's well spoken ....

Kaiser Toro
03-13-2006, 03:16 PM
he's well spoken ....

pains me to say it, but he is a ND grad and would expect him to be as such

chuckm
03-13-2006, 03:19 PM
pains me to say it, but he is a ND grad and would expect him to be as such

nothing really news worthy ..... small talk .... should be in town next week ... expects big things from the Texans Offense with Kubiak, Carr, AJ

asked about lack of sacks ..... says in 3 - 4 the DE is at a disadvantage but in 4-3 he expects to improve that total ... says he thinks he can speed rush as well as bull rush

Vinny
03-13-2006, 03:22 PM
If you have heard Kailee Wong speak....he sounds exactly like him. He's a bright guy.

Runner
03-13-2006, 03:39 PM
If you have heard Kailee Wong speak....he sounds exactly like him. He's a bright guy.

I agree well - very well spoken. Spoke clearly and to the point, right mix of humor - a great interviewee.

Said he hated playing against the Kubiak offense in Denver because it was always difficult. I got the feeling he meant in a strategic kind of way.

Respects Carr's tools. Didn't comment on his use of said tools (nor was he asked to).

Thinks the Texans offense should be able to do well. Mentioned Dre needs to be healthy. Mentioned our collapse with a 21 point lead last year.

Talked about team sacks with the 3-4. Said it was set up for the LBs to get the sacks and was happy as long as the defense was successful. He sounded like a good team player. Wants to get back to being a 4-3 DE.

From what little I can tell from a radio interview, my opinion of him went up.

Paragon Blue
03-13-2006, 03:41 PM
They also asked him if our 2-14 record scared him and he said not at all." They lost alot of close games and we just need to get into the habit of winning."

jerek
03-13-2006, 03:43 PM
I agree well - very well spoken. Spoke clearly and to the point, right mix of humor - a great interviewee.

Said he hated playing against the Kubiak offense in Denver because it was always difficult. I got the feeling he meant in a strategic kind of way.

Respects Carr's tools. Didn't comment on his use of said tools.

Thinks the Texans offense should be able to do well. Mentioned Dre needs to be healthy. Mnetioned our collapse with a 21 point lead last year.

Talked about team sacks with the 3-4. Said it was set up for the LBs to get the sacks and was happy as long as the defense was successful. He sounded like a good team player.

My understanding of this guy is that he is a good - unspectacular, but solid - DE who played in a 3-4 but is obviously expected to make the translation to a 4-3.

In most 3-4's, DEs are not expected to make many tackles or sacks, but rather to occupy blockers and allow the LBs to run clean up duty on the runner or execute the pass rush.

While I have not seen enough of this guy play to form a strong opinion on him, my only thought is that we (meaning Ferens, not Casserly) might have overpaid him. Either way, I believe he will be a much needed upgrade to the DL.

FA isn't always about signing the "big" names, who will always command big money. I think this is a positive step, personally.

Kaiser Toro
03-13-2006, 03:44 PM
They also asked him if our 2-14 record scared him and he said not at all." They lost alot of close games and we just need to get into the habit of winning."

I like that alot. That is what I was looking for from a new acquisition. Either he feels that way personally or the message is coming from the leadership and is being internalized by the player. This is good.

Texans_Chick
03-13-2006, 05:14 PM

Respects Carr's tools. Didn't comment on his use of said tools (nor was he asked to).

Thinks the Texans offense should be able to do well. Mentioned Dre needs to be healthy. Mentioned our collapse with a 21 point lead last year.

Talked about team sacks with the 3-4. Said it was set up for the LBs to get the sacks and was happy as long as the defense was successful. He sounded like a good team player. Wants to get back to being a 4-3 DE.

Agreed.

Great interview, said all the right things, sounds like he would make a great defensive leader.

They also had clips of Kubiak saying that they had targeted him as one of the people they wanted and that they expected him to be a leader on defense.

utahmark
03-13-2006, 05:19 PM
Can someone explain to me the cap impact of this spent money? It seems to me that if he is signed for 5 years, 26 million with 12million guaranteed, it won't be too bad. 26-12= 14 million over 5 years, leaves us at a little under 3 million a year against the cap, right? So as long as we don't cut him, then increasing his guarnateed money to lighten our cap hit is actually a pretty decent move, right? Or are signing bonuses counted against the cap?

signing bonuses count against the cap. it will be more than 5mil a year against the cap.

thunderkyss
03-13-2006, 09:16 PM
5 years, 26 million?? is it official?? if so, that is definitely Starting DE money, and then some. Wow, I can't believe it.

I did like the interview. Dude sounded generally upbeat, and positive about coming to houston......... it may have been the Garunteed money talking, I don't know.

But he did seem intelligent, and you could tell he loves to play football.

Bongo59
03-13-2006, 09:29 PM
told ya about the cash..............lot of clams.............I lik eKVB at 4 mil cheaper............and he gets to the QB................

The Preacher
03-13-2006, 10:20 PM
told ya about the cash..............lot of clams.............I lik eKVB at 4 mil cheaper............and he gets to the QB................

I can't wait to see who ends up with the better end of this one. If KVB is a one year wonder along with getting swindled out of a 3rd rounder Reese will have a serious losing streak ever since he got our whole draft a couple of years ago. Hope for Kyle's sake his knees are okay, and T-Hen can stay on the wagon.

mexican_texan
03-13-2006, 10:20 PM
and looks like......................a redneck.......................with a bad moustache.

Has anyone seen Weaver's pic at profootballtalk.com

TexansTrueFan
03-13-2006, 10:28 PM
haha ok guys whats he gonna say, well i dont like the team or think they are any good, but the moneys good so what the heck i guess i could come play here. HA i dont think so, yeah he sounded upbeat in his interview BUt for that amount of money who wouldnt ???

mexican_texan
03-13-2006, 10:30 PM
haha ok guys whats he gonna say, well i dont like the team or think they are any good, but the moneys good so what the heck i guess i could come play here. HA i dont think so, yeah he sounded upbeat in his interview BUt for that amount of money who wouldnt ???
TO...

TexansTrueFan
03-13-2006, 10:31 PM
TO...

haha i wouldnt compare anyone and what they would or wouldnt say to TO, he is in a league of his own.

mexican_texan
03-13-2006, 10:35 PM
haha i wouldnt compare anyone and what they would or wouldnt say to TO, he is in a league of his own.
Keyshawn "Throw me the [dang] ball" Johnson

Does anyone else think Vanden Bosch's year influenced this deal greatly?

David's Busted Carr
03-13-2006, 10:45 PM
To those that think we way overpaid this guy... The Redskins just signed a guy by the name of Andre Carter (formerly of the SF 49ers) to a 6 year 30 million dollar deal. He also plays DE. I personally think the guy we got is alot better and has more upside. So quit your complaining and be happy. Sounds like the Texans might actually know what they are doing....

David's Busted Carr
03-13-2006, 10:46 PM
To those that think we way overpaid this guy... The Redskins just signed a guy by the name of Andre Carter (formerly of the SF 49ers) to a 6 year 30 million dollar deal. He also plays DE. I personally think the guy we got is alot better and has more upside. So quit your complaining and be happy. Sounds like the Texans might actually know what they are doing....

Here's the link...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2367445

mexican_texan
03-13-2006, 10:50 PM
Here's the link...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2367445
nice name

Carter's not that bad, but he's not 5 mil a year good either.

outofhnd
03-13-2006, 10:58 PM
Yea but Carter is slated to be the Pass Rush Weakside End, Where I think Weaver will be more suited for the strong side.

TexansTrueFan
03-13-2006, 11:11 PM
dont rememebr seeing him ever play but just from the way he looks it seems he could be a beast ! but who knows

yaboycm
03-14-2006, 11:56 AM
They're listening!

http://www.houstontexans.com/fan_zone/messageboards/showthread.php?p=209503#post209503

bigTEXan8
03-14-2006, 12:50 PM
I've been away for a while, any update on Putzier?

Meloy
03-14-2006, 02:23 PM
I've been away for a while, any update on Putzier? On 610 yesterday morning, John McClain said Putzier will be signed next week. I heard nothing else or why he thought so.

O.G.
03-14-2006, 02:27 PM
On 610 yesterday morning, John McClain said Putzier will be signed next week. I heard nothing else or why he thought so.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/3719091.html

TexanFan881
03-14-2006, 02:30 PM
Putzier is practically on our team already. Finally, a great move, as long as the contract is within a reasonable range.

Meloy
03-14-2006, 02:32 PM
signing bonuses count against the cap. it will be more than 5mil a year against the cap. Not exactly. The bonus is spread over the contract. Example 12m divided by 5 years= $2.4m each year + the "base" for each year. If base is $200,000 +100,000 make the roster the total would be $2.4 + 300k or $2.7m. Often contracts are back loaded .

O.G.
03-14-2006, 02:42 PM
Putzier is practically on our team already. Finally, a great move, as long as the contract is within a reasonable range.

My point exactly. He would definitely shore up that position.

Paragon Blue
03-14-2006, 02:57 PM
My point exactly. He would definitely shore up that position.
So what happens to the TE's we have now? Who stays who goes? Discuss.

O.G.
03-14-2006, 03:30 PM
So what happens to the TE's we have now? Who stays who goes? Discuss.

As it stands right now, there are 5 TE's in our Roster:

Mark Bruener (potentially released)
Marcellus Rivers (in Rotation/backup)
Aaron Halterman (Released)
Bennie Joppru (stay on roster until camp and if he doesn't show anytime, released)
Matt Murphy (Special Teams)

Just my analyisis

dat_boy_yec
03-14-2006, 06:19 PM
As it stands right now, there are 5 TE's in our Roster:

Mark Bruener (potentially released)
Marcellus Rivers (in Rotation/backup)
Aaron Halterman (Released)
Bennie Joppru (stay on roster until camp and if he doesn't show anytime, released)
Matt Murphy (Special Teams)

Just my analyisis

I thought Murphy and Rivers were UFA's and were no longer officially with the team. Unless they were re-signed. Were they?:spy:

el toro
03-14-2006, 06:24 PM
Putzier, Rivers, and a solid draftee would be a good start.

TexanBacker93
03-14-2006, 06:43 PM
I thought Murphy and Rivers were UFA's and were no longer officially with the team. Unless they were re-signed. Were they?:spy:

They are still UFAs as of this time. I doubt there is a huge market for them so either one or both could be brought back if needed. Hopefully, the TE rotation will have Joppru, Putzier, and Bruener. I figure it's his 4th year, Jops is due.

Overall, that's an improvement over the previous 4 years.

dat_boy_yec
03-14-2006, 07:05 PM
They are still UFAs as of this time. I doubt there is a huge market for them so either one or both could be brought back if needed. Hopefully, the TE rotation will have Joppru, Putzier, and Bruener. I figure it's his 4th year, Jops is due.

Overall, that's an improvement over the previous 4 years.

Yeah that's what I thought. I was kinda scratching my head when I saw we currently had 5 TE's on the roster. Thanx.

By the way I can't wait to see Weaver get to it next season. I have a feeling he will get more than 7 sacks next season.

texan279
03-18-2006, 01:59 PM
from www.kffl.com

Texans | Contract breakdown: Weaver
Sat, 18 Mar 2006 11:42:16 -0800

Houston Texans DL Anthony Weaver signed a five-year contract with base salaries of $1.0 million (2006), $2.5 million (2007), $3.5 million (2008), $3.5 million (2009), and $4.0 million (2010).

aj.
03-18-2006, 02:06 PM
Looks like another two year signing with $7.2 million in dead money or a restructure to deal with in '08.

TexanFan881
03-18-2006, 02:30 PM
That's barely anything for this year's cap.

aj.
03-18-2006, 02:41 PM
Currently 9th highest cap hit on the team. It's a little more than 'barely anything' but it's far from stupid for a starting DE -- at least for one year -- considering he's productive. The cap monster will eventually have to be fed and that will be something to look forward to in a couple of years.

thunderkyss
03-18-2006, 02:47 PM
from www.kffl.com

Texans | Contract breakdown: Weaver
Sat, 18 Mar 2006 11:42:16 -0800

Houston Texans DL Anthony Weaver signed a five-year contract with base salaries of $1.0 million (2006), $2.5 million (2007), $3.5 million (2008), $3.5 million (2009), and $4.0 million (2010).

That's not bad at all..... looks more like DT money..... hmmmmmm........ Maybe we will see Mario line up on his right side??

Dunta_23
03-18-2006, 02:58 PM
Its a fair price for a player that the team feels should come in start and contribute...give him the benefit of the doubt and hope we are pleasantly suprised :redtowel:

aj.
03-18-2006, 03:03 PM
Its a fair price for a player that the team feels should come in start and contribute...give him the benefit of the doubt and hope we are pleasantly suprised :redtowel:

It's more than a fair price. He received the second highest signing bonus in the history of the franchise. If he doesn't perform near Pro Bowl level, it was money not well spent. I don't like to see the team throwing double digit signing bonuses at these guys - then sit around with my fingers crossed hoping to be 'pleasantly surprised.' He needs to perform at a high level or he'll go down as just another high priced FA failure. Having read his bio's and history I'm expecting steady but unspectacular.

Add $2.4 million to each of those annual salaries to put it into better perspective.

run-david-run
03-18-2006, 03:07 PM
With or without Mario, I expect Peek to see more playing time at DE than Babin, every time I've heard the defensive coaches talk about our DLine, they've mentioned how much they like Peek's energy and aggressiveness and haven't said much of anything about Babin, so I expect they plan on having Peek on the field more than Babin. That said, I'm not sure what having Weaver as a DE will do to our chances of taking Mario, I think it drastically decreases our chances of taking him and pretty much guarantees we're taking Bush, but if Weaver ends up being a DT and replacing Seth Payne there then I think we could definitely go for Mario.

BTW http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2364565 is the ESPN article about Weaver being signed (identical to HPF's one before they changed that bit about Weaver's contract). Does anyone else find it amusing that ESPN called him Justin Babin and that after playing in the league 3 years he still is virtually an unknown around the league?
Lol, that right there made your argument that much more conclusive...nice