PDA

View Full Version : Givens signs with Titans

Pages : [1] 2

Errant Hothy
03-11-2006, 12:33 AM
Browns | Team wastes no time in signing Givens
Fri, 10 Mar 2006 21:01:46 -0800

Zac Jackson, of ClevelandBrowns.com, reports the Cleveland Browns wasted no time in free agency by signing free agent WR David Givens (Patriots) to an undisclosed contract.

per kffl

I'm willing to bet the Browns threw a big bag of money at him.

beerlover
03-11-2006, 12:35 AM
there is a Patriot connection there as well you know.

Errant Hothy
03-11-2006, 12:37 AM
Damn at 11pm I had forgotten about that, thanks for the reminder.

Texans34Life
03-11-2006, 01:32 AM
Umm, don't jump the gun too fast....according to KFFL.com:

Dolphins | Team will visit with Givens
Fri, 10 Mar 2006 22:20:03 -0800

Mike Reiss, of the Boston Globe, reports the Miami Dolphins have arranged a visit with free agent WR David Givens (Patriots) for Saturday, March 11. Apparently, earlier reports of Givens signing with the Cleveland Browns were premature.

samomin
03-11-2006, 01:45 AM
Yeah that was wayyyy too quick to sign somebody (within an hour?). I remember Jeff Posey signed quickly but it wasn't that quick i think.

samomin
03-11-2006, 02:11 AM
Good news finally if true. Givens scheduled to visit Texans Sunday, if he escapes Miami that is. From espn:

Givens and taken away: The first weird free-agency report of the night came from Cleveland, when the team's Web site reportedly signed Patriots wide receiver David Givens and Ravens punter Dave Zastudil. The only problem was it wasn't true.

Now, Given's isn't even going to visit. Givens will be in Miami Saturday and will go to the Houston Texans on Sunday. The price tag for Givens went up above where the Browns wanted to pay.

Givens' agent, Brad Blank, theorized that someone hacked into the Browns' computer, which is what accounted for the mistake.

The Dude Abides
03-11-2006, 02:20 AM
good news for us in that he's scheduled to visit. Bad news is the amount of money we will have to throw at him. It would be a huge booster to our receiver corps though. My prediction is that if we sign him, I could see Gaffney/Bradford not back.

Dunta_23
03-11-2006, 02:48 AM
Nice to see him come for a visit...may fall in love withthe system, facilities, and town

wenskek
03-11-2006, 02:49 AM
this would be a huge sign if we could get him and he could be a major factor opposite of aj, hopefully they can get it done

dirty steve
03-11-2006, 02:50 AM
Nice to see him come for a visit...may fall in love withthe system, facilities, and town

he's from here (humble, i think), so hopefully that is not an issue.

aj.
03-11-2006, 07:40 AM
Humble H.S. is correct. This is home.

He's worth a look but they need to make sure his knee troubles are behind him. He's also looking for a big pay day since he's only one year removed from a rookie 7th round contract (RFA mid-level tender last year). Dude is built like a SS - can't help but think of his HS protege David Boston. He's not a burner but was very productive in the Pats scheme the last two years.
http://www.femmefan.com/site/images/lookerspics/lookers3/David_Givens.jpg

The Miami Dolphins called Givens shortly after this morning’s 12:01 free-agency deadline and scheduled a visit with the receiver today in Miami. Givens’ agent, Brad Blank, also scheduled a visit in Houston tomorrow. Givens is from the Houston area.

The Dolphins and Texans were not the only teams to express interest, as Blank also spoke to Buffalo, San Francisco, Denver, Seattle, New Orleans and Cleveland. Givens has no other visits scheduled after the Dolphins and Texans.
http://patriots.bostonherald.com/patriots/view.bg?articleid=130003

Corrosion
03-11-2006, 08:34 AM
The fact that Givins is even willing to come and talk about being a Texan is a good sign after the dismal season they had last year . :twocents:

texasguy346
03-11-2006, 08:46 AM
I hope that's the case, but some players tend to start off their FA trips by visiting with the cellar dweller teams in hopes of increasing their market value if one of those teams offers a juicy contract. They can then go around and see if any team with a brighter future comes close to matching or beating that offer. If so they sign with the better team, and if not they might still sign with the better team that offers less $$. All depends on the player's perspective.

infantrycak
03-11-2006, 08:57 AM
I hope that's the case, but some players tend to start off their FA trips by visiting with the cellar dweller teams in hopes of increasing their market value if one of those teams offers a juicy contract. They can then go around and see if any team with a brighter future comes close to matching or beating that offer. If so they sign with the better team, and if not they might still sign with the better team that offers less $$. All depends on the player's perspective.

Do you know of any specific young/2nd contract kind of guys (at least not guys looking for a last contract like a Ty Law) who definitively have taken less money to go to a specific team after receiving multiple offers? Tom Brady took a cap friendly 2nd contract but never visited anyone else or got any other offers and quickly ended up with a 3rd contract.

It makes perfect sense that if all things are equal a player will go to a winner, but what is commonly stated is things have to be really unequal for players not to go to a winner. There should be some specific examples of that if it's commonly true.

Coach C.
03-11-2006, 09:02 AM
Hopefully someone offers him good money and he does not make it here. I dont want to spend big money on any FA unless they are a stud. Givens is a mid level player at best and is not worth big money.

YoungTexanFan
03-11-2006, 09:32 AM
Hopefully someone offers him good money and he does not make it here. I dont want to spend big money on any FA unless they are a stud. Givens is a mid level player at best and is not worth big money.

Agreed.

Aussie
03-11-2006, 09:57 AM
Agreed.

yup......would be a major upgrade for us but he will be too expensive.

run-david-run
03-11-2006, 10:06 AM
We need to go after some D-linemen, unless we plan on taking Mario. It would be nice to have Givens, but we have to be smart with our money.

bdiddy
03-11-2006, 10:10 AM
Gives would be a very solid numbe 2 receiver. Ideally I would like to bring him in at a fair value contract and possibly resign Gaffney as the third WR. However, it is likely that Givens would mean the end of Gaffney, thus, making Mathis our third WR.

Weaver and Givens, are we looking at anyone who did not go to ND. I know Shanahan values players with smarts, looks like Kubiak might be following the same mold.

Aussie
03-11-2006, 10:12 AM
A trade down to get more picks and mario would be awsome, he is gonna be a freak. as far as leber who i didnt address in my previous post i just say why?? why spend money on leber? draft anoth LB in the mid rds and ull get comparible talent for less money.

Texizgreat
03-11-2006, 10:19 AM
[QUOTE=aj.]

He's not a burner but was very productive in the Pats scheme the last two years.

QUOTE]

Remember he had Tom Brady trowing to him.

touttail
03-11-2006, 10:21 AM
Givens' agent, Brad Blank, theorized that someone hacked into the Browns' computer, which is what accounted for the mistake.

Maybe some hacked into our B-Board, thus the Texans going 2-14 for 2005!!
:sarcasm:

Bobby 119C

chuckm
03-11-2006, 12:47 PM
take this for what's it worth ...

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

GIVENS RENEGED ON BROWNS, TOO?

We've tracked down more information regarding the events that caused David Givens to go from being inadvertently announced as a new member of the Browns before free agency even started to dropping off of the team's radar screen altogether.

Givens, we hear, had a verbal deal in place with the Browns. But, like LeCharles Bentley in Philly, Givens backed out, presumably because either or both of those teams came up with more money than the Browns had offered.

Now, Givens will focus on the Dolphins and the Texans.

HoustonFan
03-11-2006, 12:54 PM
Nice signature, Chuckm. Nice. I still think Carr is gonna be alright. Anyway, so is it possible for us to get Givens?

ANy other, news on our free agent situation? Are we keeping the ones we have, letting some go? What?

Bubbajwp
03-11-2006, 12:54 PM
take this for what's it worth ...

GIVENS RENEGED ON BROWNS, TOO?

We've tracked down more information regarding the events that caused David Givens to go from being inadvertently announced as a new member of the Browns before free agency even started to dropping off of the team's radar screen altogether.

Givens, we hear, had a verbal deal in place with the Browns. But, like LeCharles Bentley in Philly, Givens backed out, presumably because either or both of those teams came up with more money than the Browns had offered.

Now, Givens will focus on the Dolphins and the Texans.
Hmmmm Givens not gone.

keyfro
03-11-2006, 12:56 PM
i think we'll be letting milford brown go to the cards

gtexan02
03-11-2006, 01:10 PM
Something to think about with FA WRs: They get paid very well. WR is a skill position, and in this years draft, the shortage of 1st rounders is going to sky rocket the price of the few available FA WRs. Last year we had Moose, Mason, etc coming off big years to dilute the market. This years best FA WRs could be Givens and Bruce, and Bruce just signed a deal worth more than 6-7 million. Expect Givens to be given something similar by any team

dirty steve
03-11-2006, 01:23 PM
Something to think about with FA WRs: They get paid very well. WR is a skill position, and in this years draft, the shortage of 1st rounders is going to sky rocket the price of the few available FA WRs. Last year we had Moose, Mason, etc coming off big years to dilute the market. This years best FA WRs could be Givens and Bruce, and Bruce just signed a deal worth more than 6-7 million. Expect Givens to be given something similar by any team

i suspect givens to get more years than bruce (3) but about the same annually (5 mil. per).

bigTEXan8
03-11-2006, 02:48 PM
I'd like to have Givens. He's a good route-runner. Givens could compliment AJ very well. With Putzier in the mix too (a kid can pray...can't he), DD out of the backfield, that could be quite the threat.

bckey
03-11-2006, 03:24 PM
5 million or more a year is too much to pay for Givens. I'd rather not get him at that price. I think we should still pursue the kid from the Bengals.

dirty steve
03-11-2006, 04:54 PM
espn.com:

Givens was scheduled to visit the Browns on Sunday, but has changed his mind and will go to Houston to meet with the Texans on Sunday. The price tag for Givens went up above where the Browns wanted to pay.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

GP
03-11-2006, 05:44 PM
"The fact that Givins is even willing to come and talk about being a Texan is a good sign after the dismal season they had last year .
" -- corrosion

Uhhh...he's coming to us because we have a GM who likes to throw big moolah at tweener talent, hoping the "bet" cashes in and makes him look like a genius.

If the guy is going Browns-Dolphins-Texans...doesn't that send a red flag up to ya'll? It screams of him using those teams like Pace used us last offseason to get his price driven up. He knows we have equal or lesser WR talent in Gaff and Bradford, so he's planned us for his last trip to play old uncle Charley for all WE'RE worth.

If he was so highly enamored by the Texans, wouldn't he just make us his first destination and say "This is how much I want. We cool?"

Some of you can look on the bright side of this gray cloud all you want, I personally don't like the way the storm clouds are blowing...

edo783
03-11-2006, 06:16 PM
"The fact that Givins is even willing to come and talk about being a Texan is a good sign after the dismal season they had last year .
" -- corrosion

Uhhh...he's coming to us because we have a GM who likes to throw big moolah at tweener talent, hoping the "bet" cashes in and makes him look like a genius.

If the guy is going Browns-Dolphins-Texans...doesn't that send a red flag up to ya'll? It screams of him using those teams like Pace used us last offseason to get his price driven up. He knows we have equal or lesser WR talent in Gaff and Bradford, so he's planned us for his last trip to play old uncle Charley for all WE'RE worth.

If he was so highly enamored by the Texans, wouldn't he just make us his first destination and say "This is how much I want. We cool?"

Some of you can look on the bright side of this gray cloud all you want, I personally don't like the way the storm clouds are blowing...

Actually, I would see him coming to us first in order to drive the price up for the follow on teams as we often give a strong bid. He has his rings, so I think he just wants to play for the team that gives him the best payday.

sprtsfanatic
03-11-2006, 06:30 PM
" -- corrosion

Nice post, whether I agree or not is yet to be determined...so whats the weather looking like for next month??

Snapple
03-11-2006, 06:48 PM
I wouldn't mind having Givens. So he cost 5 mil. It's not like we're gonna cap ourselves out anyway, so I don't really see the harm. We need more veteran leaders on the team, so maybe we can get some of that Patriots karma rubbed off on us.

And you can't say replacing Bradford with Givens wouldn't be a big upgrade.

PapaL
03-11-2006, 11:26 PM
This may not be a bad thing for our passing game, assuming the $$$ is right. We obviously have a #1 guy and a bunch of possible #2's (more then likely #3's). If we sign him tomorrow, you can ink him in as #2 followed by Mathis/Armstrong. Lets hope we dont over pay.

Snapple
03-11-2006, 11:34 PM
Don't forget he has the record for consecutive playoff games with a touchdown reception. It's at something like 10 and counting.

And if we never make the playoffs, we can keep his streak alive!

Aussie
03-11-2006, 11:52 PM
Don't forget he has the record for consecutive playoff games with a touchdown reception. It's at something like 10 and counting.

And if we never make the playoffs, we can keep his streak alive!

maybe we should use that in our pitch to him??? :)

samomin
03-12-2006, 01:13 AM
Givens will probably sign where he will get the most money. He already has the rings, TD catch in superbowl etc. If we are able to sign him, I wouldn't be surprised to see him getting more money than we would like.

dirty steve
03-12-2006, 01:50 AM
New England receiver David Givens, who played at Humble High School, had been scheduled to visit the Texans today but re-signed with the Patriots late Saturday.

Texans Pride
03-12-2006, 01:53 AM
New England receiver David Givens, who played at Humble High School, had been scheduled to visit the Texans today but re-signed with the Patriots late Saturday.

Here's your link:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/3717783.html

Snapple
03-12-2006, 01:54 AM

Is there a source for this?

EDIT: There's a link. Well crap. That sucks.

ArlingtonTexan
03-12-2006, 10:09 AM
Here's your link:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/3717783.html

per kffl.com

Texans | Givens on his way to visit
Sun, 12 Mar 2006 06:43:05 -0800

Mike Reiss, of the Boston Globe, reports agent Brad Blank said a Houston Chronicle report saying free agent WR David Givens (Patriots) has re-signed with the New England Patriots was erroneous and that Givens was still flying to Houston Sunday morning, March 12, to meet with the Houston Texans. Blank said "anything is possible" at this stage.

Texans_Chick
03-12-2006, 10:11 AM
per kffl.com

Mike Reiss, of the Boston Globe, reports agent Brad Blank said a Houston Chronicle report saying free agent WR David Givens (Patriots) has re-signed with the New England Patriots was erroneous and that Givens was still flying to Houston Sunday morning, March 12, to meet with the Houston Texans. Blank said "anything is possible" at this stage.

Well then, can someone fix the header? I've got whiplash.

TheRealJoker
03-12-2006, 10:20 AM
What is with all these false reports on Givens?

Im not gonna believe he's a Texan until he suits up in September now!!!

BREAZE
03-12-2006, 10:33 AM
Mixed reports as Givens is on the fence. He can't decide if he wants Brady throwing him balls or come back home and run long routs only to hear the whistle blow because Carr is on his back again.

Sadly this sarcasm has much more vaildity than anything coming from John McLain...

Texans>Colts
03-12-2006, 11:30 AM
Texans | Givens cancels visit; reports say he re-signed with New England
Sat, 11 Mar 2006 23:12:28 -0800
John McClain, of the <A href="http://www.kffl.com/link/140">Houston Chronicle, reports free agent WR David Givens (Patriots) has canceled his visit with the Houston Texans Sunday, March 12. Reports out of New England late Saturday evening, March 11, were that Givens had decided to re-sign with the New England Patriots.

<A href="http://www.kffl.com/link/164">Mike Reiss, of the Boston Globe, reports agent Brad Blank said a Houston Chronicle report saying free agent WR David Givens (Patriots) has re-signed with the New England Patriots was erroneous and that Givens was still flying to Houston Sunday morning, March 12, to meet with the Houston Texans...

bigTEXan8
03-12-2006, 11:32 AM
He pulled a Orlando Pace on us...how can that happen again? Just give them the money they want...****!

DaveCarr@andrejohnson.net
03-12-2006, 11:33 AM
He pulled a Orlando Pace on us...how can that happen again? Just give them the money they want...****!

DUDE he isnt that great

Trap_Star
03-12-2006, 11:33 AM

I feel used and dirty......:crying: :brickwall

Johnny Utah
03-12-2006, 11:34 AM

He never made it to Houston.

bigTEXan8
03-12-2006, 11:36 AM
DUDE he isnt that great

He's better than anything else we had besides AJ.

I feel used and dirty...... :crying: :brickwall

Not in the good way either.

Texas
03-12-2006, 11:36 AM
We could use any talented players right now. Looks like this years Free Agency will be a bust for us.

Snapple
03-12-2006, 11:59 AM
We could use any talented players right now. Looks like this years Free Agency will be a bust for us.

There are still other good WRs on the market. We'd better get someone worthy of being a #2 receiver, or I'm going to be mighty angry.

Still to consider:
Antonio Bryant
Antwaan Randle El
Kevin Curtis

Those are the best receivers left in FA. I want one of them. I would also consider Ike Hilliard to fill our other receiver spot. I like what he's done in Tampa Bay.

Errant Hothy
03-12-2006, 12:01 PM
More flames for the fire:

Texans | Suber released
Sun, 12 Mar 2006 07:27:08 -0800

HoustonTexans.com reports the Houston Texans have released WR Allen Suber.

Making room on the roster, maybe.

Now before I get jumped I know they don't have to make room to sign Givens, just thougt it fit the pattern of craziness around this whole thing.

Snapple
03-12-2006, 12:05 PM
So... Givens is still available. And we cut another receiver.

Basically, AJ and Mathis are all we have left then. We need new guys... starting with a solid #2 receiver.

dat_boy_yec
03-12-2006, 12:55 PM
So... Givens is still available. And we cut another receiver.

Basically, AJ and Mathis are all we have left then. We need new guys... starting with a solid #2 receiver.

Actually, we technically still have Armstrong as well. Until another team offers to sign him and we don't match that is. Sooo.... what's really going on with Givens did he ever make it here or what's happening with that. Man I hope we land him at a reasonable price.

texansfan1974
03-12-2006, 01:02 PM
So is givens still coming or did he realiy sign with New England.:confused:

Errant Hothy
03-12-2006, 01:05 PM
Nobody has sniffed on Armstrong....seems like our fan base thinks he is better than the NFL does.

What, and this surprises you?

If anything the fanbase over-values some players and under-values others. Been that way since the second offseason.

Gaff v Armstrong to me is all about dollars, how much you want to pay a 3/4 reciever. Here's to praying that Givens has a press conference in Houston this week.

Bubbajwp
03-12-2006, 01:47 PM
Im confused does anybody know if Givens resigned for sure.

uhcougar08
03-12-2006, 01:49 PM
John McClain, of the <A href="http://www.kffl.com/link/140">Houston Chronicle, reports free agent WR David Givens (Patriots) has canceled his visit with the Houston Texans Sunday, March 12. Reports out of New England late Saturday evening, March 11, were that Givens had decided to re-sign with the New England Patriots.

<A href="http://www.kffl.com/link/164">Mike Reiss, of the Boston Globe, reports agent Brad Blank said a Houston Chronicle report saying free agent WR David Givens (Patriots) has re-signed with the New England Patriots was erroneous and that Givens was still flying to Houston Sunday morning, March 12, to meet with the Houston Texans...

John McClain is the biggest ***** I have ever seen. This guy reports stuff that usually is wrong or never happens. I wish someone would fire that moron.

dat_boy_yec
03-12-2006, 02:02 PM
Nobody has sniffed on Armstrong....seems like our fan base thinks he is better than the NFL does (Gaffney too for that matter).

Actually, I can't remember exactly, but I've heard good things about Gaffney from various sources. I wouldn't expect to see anyone pursuing Gaffney until after a few other receivers are off the market. Anyways I like Armstrong as a third option he has sure hands and could be reliable. I would like him to stay here until we have a better situation with the WR's.

pittbull
03-12-2006, 02:37 PM
Not official yet, but add up all the pieces, and you'll have your answer by late Sunday, early monday morning. From Humble. Fellow Notre Dame teammate signed. AND the biggest, the Texans don't mind giving GREAT signing bonuses to future players. Casserly said, "No double digit" signing bounses, but Givens wants between $5-7 Million. Best belieive that is a bargain for a two time super bowl champion WR. Will fit it great with AJ, and use Gaffney as the slot receiver. Add Reggie Bush!!!!Oh, can you smell what the Texans are cooking.:stirpot:

Bubbajwp
03-12-2006, 02:44 PM
Not official yet, but add up all the pieces, and you'll have your answer by late Sunday, early monday morning. From Humble. Fellow Notre Dame teammate signed. AND the biggest, the Texans don't mind giving GREAT signing bonuses to future players. Casserly said, "No double digit" signing bounses, but Givens wants between $5-7 Million. Best belieive that is a bargain for a two time super bowl champion WR. Will fit it great with AJ, and use Gaffney as the slot receiver. Add Reggie Bush!!!!Oh, can you smell what the Texans are cooking.:stirpot:
Were did you hear this.

uhcougar08
03-12-2006, 02:56 PM
Were did you hear this.

He is just speculating about what could happen.

CITY CAT
03-12-2006, 03:06 PM
He is from Humble and is supposed to talk with Texans people. I think AJ would like that. Weaver who we signed is from ND which is where DG is from. Maybe he can convince him.

Errant Hothy
03-12-2006, 03:30 PM
ESPN's rumor section has Givens talkin' to the Fins.

Bubbajwp
03-12-2006, 03:38 PM
ESPN's rumor section has Givens talkin' to the Fins.
He was there saturday.

Scottyboy
03-12-2006, 03:39 PM
Did we really Pic up Givens?

If so this is Hot!!! HOtter then a Tamal!

:stirpot: :yahoo:

TEXANS84
03-12-2006, 03:43 PM
Did we really Pic up Givens?

If so this is Hot!!! HOtter then a Tamal!

:stirpot: :yahoo:

No. He's in town, but nothing has been verified.

Big B Texan Fan
03-12-2006, 03:45 PM
Nah, unless he's an aggie, we won't be getting any hometown guys.

sprtsfanatic
03-12-2006, 03:46 PM
no one has posted that we have picked up Givens...where did you get that from??? Was that just an assumption from the dominoes that have fallen??

TEXANS84
03-12-2006, 03:47 PM
no one has posted that we have picked up Givens...where did you get that from???

Givens is in town. Nothing has been signed.

Errant Hothy
03-12-2006, 03:53 PM
Texans | Rumor alert: Team signs K. Walter to offer sheet
Sun, 12 Mar 2006 12:43:12 -0800

Geoff Hobson, of Bengals.com, reports the Houston Texans might have signed restricted free agent WR Kevin Walter (Bengals) to an offer sheet. The Bengals might not match the offer since it is expected to average $1.5 million a season with $2.5 million up front. If the team does not match the offer and Walter signs with the Texans, the Bengals would receive a seventh-round draft choice as compensation.

More pieces to the puzzle? And are we really going to revamp teh reciever corps like this.

I'd like to hear how y'all thinkthis might effect the Givens possible deal.

texan279
03-12-2006, 03:55 PM
Texans | Rumor alert: Team signs K. Walter to offer sheet
Sun, 12 Mar 2006 12:43:12 -0800

Geoff Hobson, of Bengals.com, reports the Houston Texans might have signed restricted free agent WR Kevin Walter (Bengals) to an offer sheet. The Bengals might not match the offer since it is expected to average $1.5 million a season with $2.5 million up front. If the team does not match the offer and Walter signs with the Texans, the Bengals would receive a seventh-round draft choice as compensation.

More pieces to the puzzle? And are we really going to revamp teh reciever corps like this.

If this is true and the dollar amounts are correct then :brickwall :brickwall :brickwall :brickwall

Johnny Utah
03-12-2006, 03:59 PM
If this is true and the dollar amounts are correct then :brickwall :brickwall :brickwall :brickwall

Why? 1.5 million is nothing.

texan279
03-12-2006, 04:01 PM
Why? 1.5 million is nothing.

It is for somebody else's #4 WR...

Johnny Utah
03-12-2006, 04:03 PM
It is for somebody else's #4 WR...

Well, I'm not going to rip Kubiak's pickups yet. It's obvious he sees something that he likes with this guy, so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for now.

Snapple
03-12-2006, 04:04 PM

I don't think it affects the Givens deal at all.

We only know we have two receivers for next year, Johnson and Mathis. Maybe three if nobody bites on Armstrong. That means even if we get Kevin Walter, we still need more receivers.

Walter is probably being brought in to be our new #3 or 4 or 5 receiver, not the number two.

Givens is a number two receiver. We still have an opening for a number two receiver, even after the Walter deal. That means Givens still has a place in our offense, so I don't think this changes anything.

BradK10
03-12-2006, 04:09 PM
I like Givens personally, and if he doesn't come here, I hope he doesn't get Peerless Price sydrome, think he's a #1, and go somewhere, chase the dollars, and ruin his career.

GP
03-12-2006, 04:49 PM
Givens has a lot of upside to him.

He played in a very conservative offense that tended to throw the ball to TEs, RB/FBs, and Deion Branch. Givens rarely had a ball thrown his direction, so with Carr at the wheel it'll be like old times for Givens. Ooooh, that was a good one, huh?

Seriously, though...he is a physical receiver who gets good separation from his defenders and from what I saw he made his catches "count" when the ball was thrown his way.

I think he and AJ would make a great 1-2 punch with Mathis and others thrown into the mix in case of injury or for multiple receiver sets. Having AJ, Givens, Mathis, Bush, and DD (and possibly Wells or Cook at TE for blocking or running a route, as well) would be a pretty well-stacked set of talent threat if you ask me.

We've lived with "hopeful" budding WR talent for four years now. I'd like to see this team go after a guy like Givens who is legitimately commanding big dollars. He played on a winning team and can bring winning philosophies to this team's receiver unit.

bigTEXan8
03-12-2006, 04:51 PM
Is Givens still available...I thought I heard he was re-signed.

Snapple
03-12-2006, 04:54 PM
Is Givens still available...I thought I heard he was re-signed.

That report was erroneous, according to sources in Boston. He's still as-yet unsigned with anyone.

Someone posted a source on the previous page.

bigTEXan8
03-12-2006, 04:56 PM
Edge just signed with the Cards. Breaking news.

Bubbajwp
03-12-2006, 04:57 PM
Edge just signed with the Cards. Breaking news.
Breaking news about 2 hours ago.

bigTEXan8
03-12-2006, 04:59 PM
Breaking news about 2 hours ago.

Sorry, I just saw it. My comp sucks and is slow.

Bubbajwp
03-12-2006, 04:59 PM
Sorry, I just saw it. My comp sucks and is slow.
No problem just letting you know.

Doom Capers
03-12-2006, 05:48 PM
Thank God edge is out of our division!

03-12-2006, 05:54 PM
So is givens still coming or did he realiy sign with New England.:confused:

Yeh will someone just answer that

Bubbajwp
03-12-2006, 05:57 PM
Yeh will someone just answer that
http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/features/rumors Scroll down to Givens name it says that he didnt resign.

GP
03-12-2006, 06:00 PM
Can the mods keep this up for even just 10 minutes?

Givens is still a Free Agent as of 5 p.m. on 3-12-06.

Texans Pride
03-12-2006, 06:02 PM
Hey mods. . .Can we lock this thread and start a new one without 12 different topics of post in it and 14 different answers as to if givens is here or not.

Hey fellow board members, can we all please pay attention to the thread title...This isn't the place to post random information such as who signed with other teams and how david carr isn't the answer to our questions.

There is an NFL forum for that and tons of david carr threads.

Snapple
03-12-2006, 06:02 PM
It was already answered twice... people need to read.

GP
03-12-2006, 06:03 PM
bump

DominickDavisFan76
03-12-2006, 06:09 PM
Who is he meeting with right now :confused:

Bubbajwp
03-12-2006, 06:10 PM
Who is he meeting with right now :confused:
The Texans

DominickDavisFan76
03-12-2006, 06:13 PM
The Texans

then he will be signed by the texans:fans:

Big78
03-12-2006, 06:16 PM
OH PLEASE, OH PLEASE, oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please!!!!!!!! :drool:

HardKnockTexan
03-12-2006, 06:17 PM
then he will be signed by the texans:fans:

If he does I'll be celebrating tonight for sure. He'll be the first big name free agent that my Texans have been able to get signed.

swtbound07
03-12-2006, 06:20 PM
Lets see....if things go according to form, the texans will pass on david givens, and sign Darnell Giddens to a 6 year, 50.3 million dollar contract with a 14.8 million dollar signing bonus.

DominickDavisFan76
03-12-2006, 06:23 PM
Have you seen who we are getting, do you really think they will sign Givens? Are you mad! First of all he has been sucessfull so he is def. out of the picture. Charley C. only goes for 3rd stringers!

Isnt that the truth LOL

tiger06
03-12-2006, 06:26 PM
Givens is a solid #2 receiver and would be a good compliment to AJ. But seeing the fat contract we gave to Weaver, I don't know if I'd like the sight of the one Givens would get.

BuffSoldier
03-12-2006, 06:34 PM
Im glad to hear that NE hadnt signed him back. There had been speculation, but nothing absolute. So its good that the Texans at least have a shot at getting him.:yahoo: I think that if the sign givens, then we are almost there. We have at least an average DE. a good 1-2 punch at receiver, we would only have to address a few more areas to become a respectable team.

kcwilson
03-12-2006, 06:53 PM
Im glad to hear that NE hadnt signed him back. There had been speculation, but nothing absolute. So its good that the Texans at least have a shot at getting him.:yahoo: I think that if the sign givens, then we are almost there. We have at least an average DE. a good 1-2 punch at receiver, we would only have to address a few more areas to become a respectable team.

Dude, Givens is dry humping the Texans into increasing his prospects elsewhere... maybe Miami. Everyone knows that the Texans are deficeient at WR and the prospect of an aggressive offer will only raise the stock value of Givens elsewhere. I would love him, but after surveying the situation, believe that Givens is going to sneak out the window while we are in the bathroom cleaning up afterwards.

Bongo59
03-12-2006, 06:59 PM
Reese called his agent to convince him to come to TN first because we are preapred to make his dreams come true..............they agreed.............he arrives tonight on a Southwest flight.

Titans | Team will meet with Givens
Sun, 12 Mar

Mike Reiss, of the Boston Globe, reports the Tennessee Titans will meet with free agent WR David Givens (Patriots) Monday, March 13. Agent Brad Blank confirmed the visit.

TexanBacker93
03-12-2006, 06:59 PM
Have you seen who we are getting, do you really think they will sign Givens? Are you mad! First of all he has been sucessfull so he is def. out of the picture. Charley C. only goes for 3rd stringers!

Givens' career best is 59 catches. In 4 years he has 12 whole TDs. I'd like to see someone like him as well, but $4 million a year for Givens is worse than that given to Wade or Greenwood. In fact, he has less catches in those 4 years than Gaffney, who would probably come back for half the price. Bradford has caught more TDs in the last 4 years and nobody seems to want him. Is it because he's from Houston? Is it because he's a recognizable name? He's not Charlie Joiner. He's not an improvement on what the team already had and if he costs 2X3 times as much, is he really worth it? Maybe I'm missing something and y'all can enlighten me.

kcwilson
03-12-2006, 07:01 PM
Hey, why is the window open? David?

03-12-2006, 07:01 PM
It was already answered twice... people need to read.

Wat are u smoking
they were like he signed
but he is going to houston and miami

finally someone just posted one answer

Bongo59
03-12-2006, 07:02 PM
Sun, 12 Mar 2006 15:42:03 -0800

Mike Reiss, of the Boston Globe, reports the Tennessee Titans will meet with free agent WR David Givens (Patriots) Monday, March 13. Agent Brad Blank confirmed the visit.

DominickDavisFan76
03-12-2006, 07:03 PM
someone plz tell me a miracle and tell me the texans have signed David Givens for a 3-year, 10 million dollars and a 4 million signing bonus

if nobody does I wont be surprised

thunderkyss
03-12-2006, 07:14 PM
If Givens had the exact same year, with the exact same stats, but was an Arizona Cardinal last year, I doubt........ seriously doubt, that anyone would be drooling over the kid.

He has nothing.... stat wise....... over Gaffney, who is more or less already here, and would cost less.

thunderkyss
03-12-2006, 07:33 PM
Yes, I've seen him play....... he was on a better team.. Put Gaffney on that team, and you'd be drooling over him. PUt Carr on that team, & I doubt you'd see anything better than what you see in Houston.

He'll watch that one reciever....... it wouldn't have been Givens. Protection Breaks down, and there will be very little he can do to help his team. He'll play well, promising even for the first 4/5 games of the season..... he'll flash a great game every now and again... many people will think he's got something worth holding onto(ala Rob Johnson, Drew Bledsoe, Jake Plummer), but it'll never happen......

03-12-2006, 07:39 PM
thank you

finally an answer

edo783
03-12-2006, 07:40 PM
Givens has left town according to the Chronic. Wanted 4 years and 20 Mill. We passed for now.

edo783
03-12-2006, 07:48 PM
Givens left town according to the Chronic. Wanted 4 years and 20 Mill. We passed for now.

DoCRoN
03-12-2006, 07:55 PM
According to McClain at chron.com, Givens is asking for 5 years $25 mil... Looks like he won't return home to Houston :pigfly:

dat_boy_yec
03-12-2006, 07:56 PM
Givens left town according to the Chronic. Wanted 4 years and 20 Mill. We passed for now.

That doesn't sound bad. We could work in a nice signing bonus and maybe get him at a 2.5 million cap hit a yr. Gee I hope he doesn't ask for more if we accept the offer.

dat_boy_yec
03-12-2006, 07:58 PM
According to McClain at chron.com, Givens is asking for 5 years $25 mil... Looks like he won't return home to Houston :pigfly:

That's good too, that just shows he wants a stable employment. Is this really too much money. I mean we already got Weaver at around the same price and Givens is a more proven name that fills a need and makes an impact. Is that price tag really too high for him.

Scottyboy
03-12-2006, 07:59 PM
Damn, that is alot. THanks, but no thanks!

edo783
03-12-2006, 08:00 PM
I miss quoted the chronic. 5 years and 25 Mill...The yearly is the same just longer and more overall.

Trap_Star
03-12-2006, 08:01 PM
Damn, that is alot. THanks, but no thanks!

DITTO.......:pigfly:

DoCRoN
I'm all for it. He's clutch and you have to pay for quality #2 receiver.. Can we afford it against the cap?

edo783
Givens has left town according to the Chronic. Wanted 4 years and 20 Mill. We passed for now.

Actually mis quoted on this. It was 5 years and 25 Mill. Same per year just longer and more overall dollars.

dat_boy_yec
03-12-2006, 08:07 PM
Yeah, I'm all for it as well. We might be paying alot this yr. but the cap hits next yr. will be less and give us manuevering room also these guys will help us until we have the team we want. I really like Givens not only is he a talent but coming from the Pats. he's used to winning and that's something we need in the locker room as well. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

uhcougar08
03-12-2006, 08:12 PM

I thought McClain said he signed with the Patriots????????? This proves my point again. What ever comes out of his mouth or ends up on paper is worthless. I wish he would move to Antartica. I hate his reporting, because it is usually wrong.

TexanFan881
03-12-2006, 08:23 PM
I think we should take that offer before the Titans raise his value and give him a better offer. If we get Givens we could finally have someone on the other side of the field to take defenders away from AJ. We better sign him :challenge

Texans>Colts
03-12-2006, 08:27 PM
Wat is wrong with you people. He re-signed with the Pats.

TexanFan881
03-12-2006, 08:30 PM

This is what's wrong with us:

Patriots | Givens has not re-signed
Sun, 12 Mar 2006 06:43:47 -0800

Mike Reiss, of the Boston Globe, reports agent Brad Blank said a Houston Chronicle report saying free agent WR David Givens (Patriots) has re-signed with the New England Patriots was erroneous. Blank said "anything is possible" at this stage. This is the second erroneous report this weekend involving a Givens signing.

DoCRoN
03-12-2006, 08:34 PM
This was in the same article on the chronicle online:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/3718558.html

"This morning, Givens came to Houston as scheduled, told the Texans there had been some miscommunication and that he was definitely interested in returning to his hometown team."

So he WAS here...

Bubbajwp
03-12-2006, 08:34 PM

Get with the program dude.:sarcasm:

Texans>Colts
03-12-2006, 08:36 PM
What the hell is up with these people? They did the same thing with Bentley. They said he signed with the Eagles and than switched.:confused: O well fine with me that he is still a FA

TexanFan881
03-12-2006, 08:50 PM
Texans | Givens too expensive to sign?
Sun, 12 Mar 2006 17:39:04 -0800

John McClain, of the Houston Chronicle, reports the Houston Texans spent Sunday, March 12, meeting with free agent WR David Givens (Patriots). Givens reportedly wants $25 million over five years and that's out of the Texans' price range. Late Saturday night, March 11, the Texans said Boston-based agent Brad Blank informed them that Givens was going to re-sign with the New England Patriots. This morning, Givens came to Houston as scheduled, told the Texans there had been some miscommunication and that he was definitely interested. They still haven't given up on him, but the price is too high.

:brickwall

Texans>Colts
03-12-2006, 08:53 PM
NNNNOOOOOOO:brickwall :challenge :club: :deadhorse

aj.
03-12-2006, 08:54 PM
Givens reportedly wants $25 million over five years and that's out of the Texans' price range

I was reading a Boston paper yesterday that said the Patriots have never paid a WR more than $2.5 million per season. Food for thought.

Is Givens worth $5 million per year? Hell no.

TexanFan881
03-12-2006, 08:55 PM
Good news :)

Bengals | Team may match Walter's offer sheet
Sun, 12 Mar 2006 17:39:46 -0800

John McClain, of the Houston Chronicle, reports those close to the Cincinnati Bengals believe they may match the offer sheet the Houston Texans signed Bengals WR Kevin Walter to for two reasons: head coach Marvin Lewis likes the way Walter improved last season and WR Chris Henry's off-the-field problems means Walter has become more valuable to them.

If they match the offer maybe we will make a bigger run at Givens

Bubbajwp
03-12-2006, 08:58 PM
Good news :)

I think that they will make a bigger run at Givens and Gaffney if they match the offer.

Texans>Colts
03-12-2006, 08:58 PM
Good news

Hell Yes :redtowel: :fans: :wherewill :gotexans1

bATXle red
03-12-2006, 09:04 PM
Givens brings tha rings... experience is worth the $$$.

aj.
03-12-2006, 09:06 PM
Givens brings tha rings... experience is worth the $$$.

So did Greg Randall.

edo783
03-12-2006, 09:10 PM
5 Mill a year for #2 reciever seems to be a boatload of money for that position. 2.5 to 3.5 sounds about right to me.

texman8
03-12-2006, 09:16 PM
5 Mill a year for #2 reciever seems to be a boatload of money for that position. 2.5 to 3.5 sounds about right to me.

Just saw on NFL discussion board, Randel-El signed a 7 year, 31.5 million dealwith Redskins. We know Synder is nuts and loose with his money. This doesn't help us with Givens' demands.

Errant Hothy
03-12-2006, 09:19 PM
Is Givens worth $5 million per year? Hell no.

I agree. He dosn't score enough to warrant that kinda of money. I'd be surprised if Tennesse pays him that, but then again maybe I hope they do.:spy:

Good luck to Mr. Givens, but at this point I'd much rather have Walter.

Errant Hothy
03-12-2006, 09:19 PM
Just saw on NFL discussion board, Randel-El signed a 7 year, 31.5 million dealwith Redskins. We know Synder is nuts and loose with his money. This doesn't help us with Givens' demands.

That's stupid money for Randel-El. But then again it's Snyder so who's surprised.

Napa Auto Parts
03-12-2006, 10:05 PM
i think from what i heard on NFL Radio he is on he's way to visit the titans tomorrow:)

TexanFan881
03-12-2006, 10:08 PM
i think from what i heard on NFL Radio he is on he's way to visit the titans tomorrow:)

You heard right

Sun, 12 Mar 2006 15:42:03 -0800

GP
03-12-2006, 11:19 PM
"Dude, Givens is dry humping the Texans into increasing his prospects elsewhere... maybe Miami. Everyone knows that the Texans are deficeient at WR and the prospect of an aggressive offer will only raise the stock value of Givens elsewhere. I would love him, but after surveying the situation, believe that Givens is going to sneak out the window while we are in the bathroom cleaning up afterwards." -- kcwilson

-----------

LMAO :crying:

That was a great post. Good laugh. Thanks, man....

Pretty much hit the nail on the head.

Snapple
03-13-2006, 12:31 AM
A #2 receiver is an extremely important part of a team. I don't think you can sell short the importance by thinking you can go cheap, grab a #4 receiver and trying to force him into a #2 role. That's just asking to be at the bottom of the league again.

David Givens is better than I think some people are giving him credit for. He's a very consistent player. He performs well in big games. He's young and hasn't even come close to reaching his full potential yet. And he also played in a system that limited his numbers. The Patriots will spread the ball around to a ton of different receivers, so the individual numbers of each of their receivers don't represent their talent level. In other words, Givens is better than his numbers. He's also a great route runner.

He's asking for 5 mil per year, 1/20th of our cap. Considering that increased cap space and inflation are driving prices up, I don't think that pricetag is all that unreasonable anymore for a solid player who could completely change the dynamic of an offense in a big way.

If you want a quality guy, you have to pay, or you have to use a high draft pick. And I'm not willing to spend one of our draft picks on a receiver when we have so many other areas to work on. Givens is a good choice. He's the best receiver on the market.

You know what happens when you refuse to spend money? When you think you can sign lots of guys cheap with no proven ability and make it work? You become the Cardinals. And nobody wants to be the Cardinals.

HardKnockTexan
03-13-2006, 01:01 AM
A #2 receiver is an extremely important part of a team. I don't think you can sell short the importance by thinking you can go cheap, grab a #4 receiver and trying to force him into a #2 role. That's just asking to be at the bottom of the league again.

David Givens is better than I think some people are giving him credit for. He's a very consistent player. He performs well in big games. He's young and hasn't even come close to reaching his full potential yet. And he also played in a system that limited his numbers. The Patriots will spread the ball around to a ton of different receivers, so the individual numbers of each of their receivers don't represent their talent level. In other words, Givens is better than his numbers. He's also a great route runner.

He's asking for 5 mil per year, 1/20th of our cap. Considering that increased cap space and inflation are driving prices up, I don't think that pricetag is all that unreasonable anymore for a solid player who could completely change the dynamic of an offense in a big way.

If you want a quality guy, you have to pay, or you have to use a high draft pick. And I'm not willing to spend one of our draft picks on a receiver when we have so many other areas to work on. Givens is a good choice. He's the best receiver on the market.

You know what happens when you refuse to spend money? When you think you can sign lots of guys cheap with no proven ability and make it work? You become the Cardinals. And nobody wants to be the Cardinals.

I agree with all of your post except for the last paragraph. Yes, spending money on proven players is the way a lot of NFL teams are ran but you dont really have to go that rout to bring home the championship. Players get the "big name" tag by being on winning teams. They all had to start somewhere and with solid scouting I dont see a reason to overspend on a player who, IMO, is good but not great. Teams like the Steerlers and Patriots draft well and develop players well. You rarley hear of big name players going to either of those teams in free agency. I believe with the state our team is in we cant afford to drop a lot of cash on 1 player when we're not competeing for the superbowl this year. In a year or two when I feel like we can compete with every team in the NFL; that is the time to drop the big bucks on that 1 probowler that will put us over the top.

MorKnolle
03-13-2006, 01:17 AM

I would not pay Givens $5 million a year, I don't think I'd pay him $4 million. I understand you have to overpay for guys in free agency, but Givens is not worth that much money and we should not have to spend that much to get him (he thinks he'll get that much from somewhere, and either he'll get a rude awakening on that or he'll find a sucker team to give it to him, hopefully not us). I don't think Weaver was worth the $5.2 million a year we gave him. I don't think we had to offer that much money to him on the first day of free agency, I would have offered more like $4 million a year and see if that gets his interest, and if wants to consider other options then add more money onto the deal. It seems as though our salary guys sit down, ask the agent how much money they're looking for, then add a couple extra million dollars just for the sake of making them happy. That seems like a bad method to me.

Texans34Life
03-13-2006, 01:19 AM
Update on Givens's visit w/ the Dolphins:

Dolphins | Team makes no offer to Givens
Sun, 12 Mar 2006 21:45:34 -0800

Harvey Fialkov, of the Sun-Sentinel, reports free agent WR David Givens (Patriots) had a good visit with the Miami Dolphins Saturday, March 11, but he was not offered a contract. "The visit with the Dolphins was perfect, except there was no offer," said Givens' agent, Brad Blank. "They seem preoccupied with their quarterback pursuits."

Texans34Life
03-13-2006, 01:49 AM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/3719091.html

Texans hold out hope for Givens
WR unimpressed with team's offer of $18.5 million

By JOHN MCCLAIN
Copyright 2006 Houston Chronicle

The second day of free agency for the Texans was not as productive as the first, but it was just as busy.

The Texans signed Cincinnati restricted free-agent wide receiver Kevin Walter to an offer sheet that the Bengals have one week to match, lost guard Milford Brown to Arizona, introduced three free-agent additions at a news conference and spent the afternoon with New England receiver David Givens.

The Texans targeted Givens, the Humble native who earned two Super Bowl rings in his four seasons with the Patriots, as the offensive player they wanted the most.

Givens was offered $18.5 million over five years, but he is going to Nashville, Tenn., today to meet with the Titans.

If Tennessee come close to meeting his asking price of almost $25 million over five years, they will have the best chance of signing him.

Because the Texans have signed defensive end Anthony Weaver (five years, $26.5 million, $12 million signing bonus), quarterback Sage Rosenfels (four years, $6.4 million, $2 million signing bonus), fullback Jameel Cook (five years, $5 million) and Walter (four years, $6.4 million), they are unable to offer close to $25 million for Givens.

"Everything was going well at first, but things really didn't work out the way I thought they would," Givens said. "The door isn't closed yet. I'd still like to play here if it's the right opportunity."

General manager Charley Casserly, coach Gary Kubiak and offensive coordinator Troy Calhoun didn't try to hide their excitement over Givens coming to Houston on Sunday to meet with the staff.

The coaches envisioned Givens as a big-play receiver who would start opposite Andre Johnson. While director of negotiations Dan Ferens continued to negotiate with Boston-based agent Brad Blank, Kubiak and Calhoun kept their fingers crossed Saturday when Givens was at Miami.

Late Saturday night, the Texans said Blank informed them that Givens was staying with the Patriots.

On Sunday morning, Givens kept his scheduled visit to Houston and said there had been some miscommunication Saturday night.

"David's a good player and a class individual," Casserly said Sunday. "We had a great visit with him. We'd love to have him. We made him an offer, but they declined it."

Meanwhile, Brown, who started 12 games last season, signed a four-year contract with Arizona. Coach Dennis Green plans for Brown to start at guard and help open holes for running back Edgerrin James, who agreed to a contract with the Cardinals on Sunday.

The Texans are hoping that Cincinnati doesn't match their offer sheet to Walter, an up-and-coming receiver the Bengals don't want to lose.

It's the Bengals' move

Cincinnati has one week to match the offer. If they don't, they will get a seventh-round pick in next month's draft.

"It's a weird situation not knowing what will happen," Walter said about the seven-day wait. "Knowing what the coaches want here, I think I can help them. This is the place I want to be."

Walter, 24, is 6-3, 214. A three-year veteran from Eastern Michigan, he caught 19 passes for 219 yards and a touchdown last season.

Those close to the Bengals believe they will want to match the offer because coach Marvin Lewis was impressed with Walter's improvement as a receiver last season. Chris Henry, a rookie who was impressive off the bench last season, had some off-the-field issues that might make keeping Walter a priority.

Crowded field

The Texans have Johnson and Jerome Mathis on the roster. Jabar Gaffney and Corey Bradford are unrestricted free agents. The team wants both players back, but it is not going to break the bank for them.

"This is really an exciting time for us," Kubiak said at the news conference introducing Weaver, Rosenfels and Cook. "Charley and Dan have done a tremendous job."

Next week, former Denver tight end Jeb Putzier will visit Houston. Kubiak is hoping to sign him, too.

GoPats
03-13-2006, 07:42 AM
I love David Givens... the guy's been a huge part of two SB champion teams.

But I wouldn't pay him $5M/year. That's a good way to screw up your team, long-term, and he's just not worth that kind of money.

texman8
03-13-2006, 07:53 AM
Not sure Titans have the cap money to offer Givens. They're still deciding what to do with McNair (he 's still playing hardball.) Read Brees really wants to go to Fins but NO is offering more guaranteed money. Sounds like Raiders maybe back in Culpepper chase.

Maddict5
03-13-2006, 08:08 AM
^The titans have tied mcnair up(for a year anyway). he'd be a nice signing if we got him a 18.5m

TexanFan881
03-13-2006, 09:42 AM
Darn, we've got another team interested :brickwall

Patriots | Team has renewed interest in Givens
Mon, 13 Mar 2006 06:28:41 -0800

John Tomase, of the Boston Herald, reports the New England Patriots and agent Brad Blank have spoken the last two days and discussed the general parameters of a contract that would keep free agent WR David Givens (Patriots) in New England, though they've yet to exchange detailed proposals. "They're certainly interested," Blank said. "They've always got a chance. They're the team that drafted him."

TEXANS84
03-13-2006, 10:01 AM
He was superbowl MVP for the Pats, of course they're going to have extensive interest.

TexansFanatic
03-13-2006, 10:24 AM
David Givens has never been a Super Bowl MVP....

TEXANS84
03-13-2006, 10:28 AM
You're right, I was getting Branch and Givens crossed up.

Kaiser Toro
03-13-2006, 01:45 PM
So everyone would do better playing for the Patriots except Carr, That is a good one. Everyone but him. Too funny.
NEVER? we will see.

Under the current contract, yes. If Carr moved to Patriots with a much lighter contract they would be able to build a team around him that he so sorely needs to be successful. One man can't do it on his own and therefore should not be paid like he can.

TexanFan881
03-13-2006, 03:51 PM
Not looking good :brickwall

Titans | Offer made to Givens
Mon, 13 Mar 2006 12:13:45 -0800

The Boston Globe reports the Tennessee Titans have made a formal contract offer to free agent WR David Givens (Patriots).

and...

Chargers | Inquiring about Givens
Mon, 13 Mar 2006 12:12:13 -0800

The Boston Globe reports the San Diego Chargers have inquired about meeting with free agent WR David Givens (Patriots), according to Givens' agent, Brad Blank.

Panthers | Inquiring about Givens
Mon, 13 Mar 2006 12:12:11 -0800

The Boston Globe reports the Carolina Panthers have inquired about meeting with free agent WR David Givens (Patriots), according to Givens' agent, Brad Blank.

Snapple
03-13-2006, 03:57 PM
That's what you get for low-balling Givens and disrespecting a good player who actually wants to play for us. You can't take your time in the free agent market. Receivers are disappearing by the hour while we still have more holes than we have draft spots.

We WILL regret it if we don't get Givens. We had our chance to get Givens, and we may have blown it.

TexanFan881
03-13-2006, 04:01 PM
If we get Givens I would be very suprised. His value is going up after each visit. I bet someone will give him his 5 year 25 mil contract, but it isn't going to be us.

Bongo59
03-13-2006, 04:07 PM
Givens was offered 24 mil over 5 yrs...........he is still here and Mcnair and Reese are talking to him right now...his flight has been cancelled..............

TexanFan881
03-13-2006, 04:11 PM
Givens was offered 24 mil over 5 yrs...........he is still here and Mcnair and Reese are talking to him right now...his flight has been cancelled..............

Do you have a link? Or any more information? I hope this is true :redtowel:

justtxyank
03-13-2006, 04:16 PM

Where did you get that information?

I'll be honest, if they sign him, I move into the trade the pick team. Andre, Carr, Givens, our overpaid O-line, DD, AND Reggie Bush will destroy our cap all on offense.

pskinny
03-13-2006, 04:17 PM
I think he's refering to Steve McNair and Floyd Reese. If true, Givens is signing with the Titans.

DoCRoN
03-13-2006, 04:21 PM

I thought Givens flew out of town this morning to Tennessee. Where did you hear that he's still in town?

chuckm
03-13-2006, 04:22 PM
this doesn't give me a lot of heartburn ... the lack of big name FA WRs has driven up the price ...

Scottyboy
03-13-2006, 04:25 PM
Yeah I think you're right, Someone will most likely give him the 25 MIL.
Wasn't Givens #3 Behind Branch and T.Brown In NE? Not worth the danario IMO,
Draft class of Receivers is Terrible, who's left out there who can fill the #2? FA or Draft? :homer:

TEXANS84
03-13-2006, 04:38 PM
I thought Givens flew out of town this morning to Tennessee. Where did you hear that he's still in town?

Bongo is a Titans fan. McNair is Steve McNair, not Bob. He's saying he's still in Nashville.

Porky
03-13-2006, 05:02 PM
Do you have a link? Or any more information? I hope this is true :redtowel:

You do realize Bongo is talking about Tenn? Reece is the Titans GM.

TEXANS84
03-13-2006, 05:04 PM
Titans | Offer made to Givens
Mon, 13 Mar 2006 12:13:45 -0800

The Boston Globe reports the Tennessee Titans have made a formal contract offer to free agent WR David Givens (Patriots).

Kaiser Toro
03-13-2006, 05:05 PM
I am fine with that as I do not fear Givens as a stand alone weapon against our porous but soon to be improved defense.

texan279
03-13-2006, 05:06 PM
That's what you get for low-balling Givens and disrespecting a good player who actually wants to play for us. You can't take your time in the free agent market. Receivers are disappearing by the hour while we still have more holes than we have draft spots.

We WILL regret it if we don't get Givens. We had our chance to get Givens, and we may have blown it.

If he really wanted to play here he would have taken the 18.5 million we offered him. All he is doing is looking for the team that will pay him the most.

TEXANS84
03-13-2006, 05:07 PM
If he really wanted to play here he would have taken the 18.5 million we offered him. All he is doing is looking for the team that will pay him the most.

I am going to assume that Tennessee is offering more, considering that Texas has no state-income tax.

texan279
03-13-2006, 05:08 PM

Before you guys signed Thornton, ya'll were 6.2 million under the cap, how in the heck can the tacks afford to pay Thornton, offer Givens that kind of money, and still pay the rookies?

texan279
03-13-2006, 05:09 PM
I am going to assume that Tennessee is offering more, considering that Texas has no state-income tax.

I think they offered him 24 mil, my point was though if he really wanted to play here he would have accepted our offer. I was responding to someone who said we disrespected and low balled Givens and that he wanted to play here.

TEXANS84
03-13-2006, 05:11 PM
Before you guys signed Thornton, ya'll were 6.2 million under the cap, how in the heck can the tacks afford to pay Thornton, offer Givens that kind of money, and still pay the rookies?

Heard that they may release Calico, but that would only save them around 450K on the cap. I have no idea how they could sign Givens for that amount of money.

tulexan
03-13-2006, 05:12 PM
At least we aren't over paying him.

texanskan
03-13-2006, 05:16 PM

Thank You captain obvious of course he is looking to sign with the team that will pay him the most.

texan279
03-13-2006, 05:17 PM
Thank You captain obvious of course he is looking to sign with the team that will pay him the most.

I was responding to the person who posted that Given's wanted to play for us and we disrespected him and low balled him, but thanks for playing. Try reading through the entire thread before calling people names, welcome to the interweb...

DoCRoN
03-13-2006, 05:30 PM
I was responding to the person who posted that Given's wanted to play for us and we disrespected him and low balled him, but thanks for playing. Try reading through the entire thread before calling people names, welcome to the interweb...

All too often a player and/or their representative states how they really want to play for a team, when in reality they really want to play for said team with the stipulation that they pay him whatever he feels he's worth. The earlier post said we low balled him; I think we offered him pretty fair value from what I've seen recently. So, you're absolutely right in saying we didn't disrespect him!

texanskan
03-13-2006, 05:31 PM
I read the whole thing of course he is in it for the most money that's all I am saying.

thunderkyss
03-13-2006, 05:37 PM
This is good news for us....... as long as Tennesee thinks and pays Givens like a #1, we have little to worry about. They'll be mediocre for years while we beef up the troops.

uhcougar08
03-13-2006, 06:10 PM
I read the whole thing of course he is in it for the most money that's all I am saying.

You do not know what he is in it for. For all we know his final decision could be the Patriots. Who may pay him less money. Do not come on here and put words in peoples mouths. You do not know what Givens is thinking. Oh.....my bad........you are right........you are one of the ones who thinks we should take a no defense reading, 6 scoring, non-english speaking, Vince Young for our QB. I will leave you alone, since you know so much about football and what people think.:stirpot:

texan279
03-13-2006, 06:43 PM
from www.kffl.com

Dolphins | Team not likely to sign Givens
Mon, 13 Mar 2006 15:28:24 -0800

Kevin Lerner, of the Sun-Sentinel, reports it appears the Miami Dolphins are out of the running for free agent WR David Givens (Patriots). Considered one of the top wide receivers on the free-agent market, Givens reportedly is seeking a five-year deal in the $25 million range, a demand the Dolphins aren't expected to meet.

TexanFan881
03-13-2006, 06:48 PM
from www.kffl.com

Dolphins | Team not likely to sign Givens
Mon, 13 Mar 2006 15:28:24 -0800

Kevin Lerner, of the Sun-Sentinel, reports it appears the Miami Dolphins are out of the running for free agent WR David Givens (Patriots). Considered one of the top wide receivers on the free-agent market, Givens reportedly is seeking a five-year deal in the $25 million range, a demand the Dolphins aren't expected to meet.

Looks like we're not the only team that thinks he's nuts

TexanFan881
03-13-2006, 06:50 PM
You do realize Bongo is talking about Tenn? Reece is the Titans GM.

Darn :brickwall I saw the he's still here part and got excited

BuffSoldier
03-13-2006, 07:20 PM
The titans dont have much Cap room to work with themselves, unless they plan on cutting a few more people in effort to get givens.

kcwilson
03-13-2006, 07:31 PM
I said it in another post and will re-iterate it again.

Givens is :stirpot:'ing. He'll end up back in N.E. where they have Bethel Johnson and Deion Branch as the only WR currently on the roster. He is doing the whirlwind tour in hopes of driving up his value in a poor WR market this year. Once he gets the tallies of the higher offers, he goes back to N.E. and they will match or he will give the 'hometown' discount of a slightly reduced price.

I hope my instincts are wrong. I think he would be a nice addition at 5-$18m however I think someone with a better team outlook will match.

Bongo59
03-13-2006, 07:55 PM
The titans dont have much Cap room to work with themselves, unless they plan on cutting a few more people in effort to get givens.
wrong.........we had 14 mil under.....and if we get mac deal done now we can reduce his number by another 14 milllland be close to 28 under.............Mac cap number right now for 06 is 23 mil..............and we are still under the cap...cap hell ended this yr.

Bongo59
03-13-2006, 07:56 PM
I am going to assume that Tennessee is offering more, considering that Texas has no state-income tax.TN has no state income tax either......................

Bongo59
03-13-2006, 08:00 PM
This is good news for us....... as long as Tennesee thinks and pays Givens like a #1, we have little to worry about. They'll be mediocre for years while we beef up the troops.
wrong............Givens is an exact duplicate of Derrick Masons foirst four yrs in the league.both 4th rounders who broke out in yrs 3 and 4 of their deal..in Mason 5th yr he became a 90 catch WR with his first of 4 straight 1000 yd season.....Givens is very capable of being a one when he is featured.....and Drew is already a great number two..................as for our cap we are in fabulous shape.......that cap mess was fixed this yr........the rest of the money is locked in McNair cap number for 06...once his new deal is done we gain even more money...close to 14 mil........................

Erratic Assassin
03-13-2006, 08:04 PM
He's good enough for the Titans but he's not good enough for us.

ArlingtonTexan
03-13-2006, 08:04 PM
wrong............Givens is an exact duplicate of Derrick Masons foirst four yrs in the league.both 4th rounders who broke out in yrs 3 and 4 of their deal..in Mason 5th yr he became a 90 catch WR with his first of 4 straight 1000 yd season.....Givens is very capable of being a one when he is featured.....and Drew is already a great number two..................as for our cap we are in fabulous shape.......that cap mess was fixed this yr........the rest of the money is locked in McNair cap number for 06...once his new deal is done we gain even more money...close to 14 mil........................

Is the deal finalized yet..I know it was 90% a few hours ago.

TexanFan881
03-13-2006, 08:05 PM
Is the deal finalized yet..I know it was 90% a few hours ago.

Where did you hear that?

Bongo59
03-13-2006, 08:07 PM
Is the deal finalized yet..I know it was 90% a few hours ago.no..........he is giving NE the night to ponder losing him...................they offered 3.75 to 4 mil a yr for him we offered 5 at 24 mil.......he was shocked at the offer but he did phone the Pats to see if they will keep him.......he really ants to stay in NE............but our deal is for him to be our one WR and pay him like that

SESupergenius
03-13-2006, 08:07 PM
You'd think that WR would be a pretty high priority, contrary to all those that thought Gaffney was good and it was just the system. Givens would be an immediate upgrade over Gaffney, but the price will probably be too stiff, if only we'd not signed Walker to that huge contract and cut him minutes later. Sigh....

Mathis13
03-13-2006, 08:08 PM
no..........he is giving NE the night to ponder losing him...................they offered 3.75 to 4 mil a yr for him we offered 5 at 24 mil.......he was shocked at the offer but he did phone the Pats to see if they will keep him.......he really ants to stay in NE............but our deal is for him to be our one WR and pay him like that

Ya i Think we're overpaying an above-average WR with a good PATS O-L and QB:crying:

aj.
03-13-2006, 08:10 PM
no..........he is giving NE the night to ponder losing him...................they offered 3.75 to 4 mil a yr for him we offered 5 at 24 mil.......he was shocked at the offer but he did phone the Pats to see if they will keep him.......he really ants to stay in NE............but our deal is for him to be our one WR and pay him like that

If you want to pay the guy......... nearly 5 mil a year......... have at it.......... Yancey Thigpen II.

Nighthawk
03-13-2006, 08:27 PM
If you want to pay the guy......... nearly 5 mil a year......... have at it.......... Yancey Thigpen II.

Blast from the past. Someone who remembers Yancey Thigpen!

TexanFan881
03-13-2006, 10:06 PM
Not looking good for us

Titans | Givens remains in Tennessee Monday night
Mon, 13 Mar 2006 18:30:46 -0800

Mike Reiss, of the Boston Globe, reports free agent WR David Givens (Patriots) remains in Tennessee and his visit with the Tennessee Titans will extend into Tuesday, March 14, according to his agent Brad Blank. Blank said the plan is for he and Givens to meet Tuesday morning to discuss his contract options.

It's over

:brickwall :brickwall :brickwall :brickwall

Dunta_23
03-13-2006, 10:08 PM
Not looking good for us

It's over

:brickwall :brickwall :brickwall :brickwall

Didn't think it was looking good when he left here without a contract. I dont think its smart tying that much $ into him...But I think we need somebody who can be the #2...I really like Gaffney but I think he is more of a #3...maybe we need to give Givens his 5 mil?

TexanFan881
03-13-2006, 10:13 PM
Didn't think it was looking good when he left here without a contract. I dont think its smart tying that much $ into him...But I think we need somebody who can be the #2...I really like Gaffney but I think he is more of a #3...maybe we need to give Givens his 5 mil?

How would that work out he's in Tennessee right now? Would we just call his agent and say we're interested still in signing him for his asking price?

Bongo59
03-13-2006, 10:15 PM
told ya.................he is going to have a tough time............deciding............we got a huge thread on all the stuff at titanscentral.net...................

texan279
03-13-2006, 10:19 PM
told ya.................he is going to have a tough time............deciding............we got a huge thread on all the stuff at titanscentral.net...................

for the crazy money....................he wants.......................ya'll can have him

TEXANS84
03-13-2006, 10:29 PM
Yeah, I'd have to agree with you 279. I'd almost get mad at this point if he signed with the Texans. 5/24 is way to much money for him.

Moulds is available. So is Mr. TO.

Dunta_23
03-13-2006, 10:32 PM
How would that work out he's in Tennessee right now? Would we just call his agent and say we're interested still in signing him for his asking price?

Im not positive but Im pretty sure if the Texans front office figures they are going to lose him to the Titans and they phoned his agent and upped the offer to his asking price Im almost positive hed sign here...As he said he wanted to play here but as his price...I dont think there are rules against calling players while they are visiting other teams

pskinny
03-13-2006, 10:32 PM
Moulds is available.

Yep. We will pursue. If they go after Issac Bruce, they go after Eric Moulds. Hope he doesn't want Givens money.....

If Moulds falls though, maybe we will wait on Charles Rogers to be released.

TexanFan881
03-13-2006, 10:37 PM
Yep. We will pursue. If they go after Issac Bruce, they go after Eric Moulds. Hope he doesn't want Givens money.....

He wants SEVEN MILLION DOLLARS PER YEAR

pskinny
03-13-2006, 10:47 PM

Did not know that. No way he gets that on the open market, but 3 years 15 million, with 7 guaranteed I could live with.

thunderkyss
03-13-2006, 10:56 PM
We need to get Gaffney back. With everything Givens has had going against him, his numbers are still comparable to Givens, who had so much working in his favor.

I'd love to see stats for dropped balls, thrown to, and the like for these two.

TexanFan881
03-13-2006, 10:56 PM
Did not know that. No way he gets that on the open market, but 3 years 15 million, with 7 guaranteed I could live with.

That contract is basically the same as Givens would be, except two years shorter. That's why I would much rather get Givens, but I would not be disappointed with Moulds.

Mould is scheduled to earn $7.1 million in 2006. He has refused multiple requests to restructure his deal.

So what haven't the Bills cut him?

Spite.

Oh, they'll never admit it. "Our intention remains to keep Eric as a part of our team," G.M. Marv Levy said on Monday.

But we know what's happening, Marv. We know. The idea is to hang onto Moulds' rights for now, while all of the other guys eat at the March big money trough. By the time the Bills cut him in July or August, and cut him they will, no one else will have enough cap space set aside to give him in 2006 what he could have gotten if on the open market right now.

TexanFan881
03-13-2006, 10:59 PM
We need to get Gaffney back. With everything Givens has had going against him, his numbers are still comparable to Givens, who had so much working in his favor.

I'd love to see stats for dropped balls, thrown to, and the like for these two.

The numbers are comparable because AJ missed about 6 games. Gaffney was the #1 WR for those games, while Deion Branch played most of the games. The fact that the numbers are only comparible with Gaffney spending almost half the season as the #1 WR just shows how good Givens is.

mexican_texan
03-13-2006, 11:03 PM
No, he doesn't want a paycut from that amount.

When I pass my cursor over the Last Page on the thread title, it says that Givens was signed by the Browns, but i can't find it in the thread.

thunderkyss
03-13-2006, 11:08 PM
The numbers are comparable because AJ missed about 6 games. Gaffney was the #1 WR for those games, while Deion Branch played most of the games. The fact that the numbers are only comparible with Gaffney spending almost half the season as the #1 WR just shows how good Givens is.

If I were talking about 2005, I'd agree. But I'm talking about career.

Carr Bombed
03-14-2006, 12:57 AM
I don't want Givens at 5/25 mil., thats #1 money (money that I would rather save to resign AJ, when the time comes) and he isn't a #1 reciever and he's coming from a team where he is surrounded by great talent, so I don't see him comming here and being near as productive.

I would be more than happy to see Tennessee blow 25 mil. on him.

hot pickle
03-14-2006, 01:02 AM
if we don't sign him, gaff will most likely be back then right?

or is he still with the team, cause the other day people said that he got released, and on the texans roster page he is still on the team

so is he still on the team or is he a FA?

outofhnd
03-14-2006, 01:10 AM
He is an unrestricted Free Agent

Snapple
03-14-2006, 02:46 AM
If I were talking about 2005, I'd agree. But I'm talking about career.

I wish people would stop talking about Givens' numbers and how they're low. He is young, and he was in a system where every receiver's numbers are limited. The Patriots spread the ball to *everyone*. Despite the fact that Tom Brady lead the league in passing yards last season, every receiver and tight end on the Patriots was a fantasy BUST last year. Why? Because he spreads the ball around. That doesn't mean that all of his receivers aren't incredibly talented though.

If you actually WATCHED David Givens instead of just looking at his numbers, you might understand why he's the highest rated free agent receiver this off-season. He's really, really good.

The guys we have are not good. We have AJ, but we have no true #2 passing option. David Givens would give any team an excellent second option.

It's one thing to say you don't want David Givens because you think he's expensive. That's fine. A lot of people feel that way. But if you think David Givens is no better than Jabar Gaffney, you are REALLY mistaken.

rittenhouserobz
03-14-2006, 07:07 AM
But if you think David Givens is no better than Jabar Gaffney, you are REALLY mistaken.

Comparing any Texan's reciever to a Patriot's WR is senseless. Maybe Gaffney would have been in open space more often if the OL could hold off the pass rush for more than three seconds.

I am sure Givens is talented as well, but I think the Texans could have had TO last year and it would not have mattered. I bet if Gaffney were on the Patriots last year he would have done just as well or better. I have seen Gaffney make some outstanding catches.

In the end, I would say that it is not valid to say Givens is better than Gaffney or vice-versa. I would love to see the Texans resign Gaffney or sign Givens, but we really need to get the OL in shape first.

Bongo59
03-14-2006, 07:58 AM
this article this am confirms what I told you last night...................Texans are out of it.

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060314/SPORTS01/603140375/1027

thunderkyss
03-14-2006, 08:13 AM
this article this am confirms what I told you last night...................Texans are out of it.

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060314/SPORTS01/603140375/1027

Thankyou for stopping us from making a big mistake............... shewwww, I'm glad that's done with........

Next.

thunderkyss
03-14-2006, 08:19 AM
Comparing any Texan's reciever to a Patriot's WR is senseless. Maybe Gaffney would have been in open space more often if the OL could hold off the pass rush for more than three seconds.

I am sure Givens is talented as well, but I think the Texans could have had TO last year and it would not have mattered. I bet if Gaffney were on the Patriots last year he would have done just as well or better. I have seen Gaffney make some outstanding catches.

In the end, I would say that it is not valid to say Givens is better than Gaffney or vice-versa. I would love to see the Texans resign Gaffney or sign Givens, but we really need to get the OL in shape first.

Exactly......

Bongo59
03-14-2006, 08:24 AM
texans are out of it................so it is a moot point so far. he is either going back to NE or coming to TN

TexanFan881
03-14-2006, 08:46 AM
I guess we've just got to resign Gaffney and get on with our lives :brickwall

Texans34Life
03-14-2006, 08:50 AM
Yep, this proves it:

Givens said he expects to make his decision official this morning after talking with his family and agent Brad Blank last night. Givens yesterday ruled out the Dolphins and Texans, two teams he visited over the weekend.

TEXANS84
03-14-2006, 09:14 AM
Bongo, trust me....we're not upset. 5/24 million is ridiculous money for Givens. You thought we overpayed for Weaver and called CC stupid, well then Reese has definitley gone off his edge paying this money for Givens.

thunderkyss
03-14-2006, 09:16 AM
texans are out of it................so it is a moot point so far. he is either going back to NE or coming to TN

:yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

this is good news for me.

Texan in Japan
03-14-2006, 09:21 AM
Until Givens signs he still a FA...this guy has been signed by more teams than any other player this FA period!

edo783
03-14-2006, 09:50 AM
IMO, it's a smart NON move on our part.

5genTexan
03-14-2006, 11:54 AM
he's from here (humble, i think), so hopefully that is not an issue.
David Givens is from Humble. As is Bert Barry, David Boston, Sammy Davis, and, does anyone remember Mike Mosley?? Ah yes, memory lane.

So am I!!

Go Wildcats!!

Carr Bombed
03-14-2006, 11:57 AM
exactly I'm more than happy passing on him and then watching him go to Tennessee and eat up that much cap space.

bckey
03-14-2006, 11:57 AM
Givens is not even worth the money that the Texans offered him much less what the Titans offered him. I don't know how the Titans can offer so much when they are constantly on the edge of cap hell. I hope they do get him and end up having to purge a bunch of players again in a year or so. The Titans will still have to pay big money to whoever they draft with the 3rd pick also. Their capologist isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer.

I will be happy if the Bengals decide not to match the Texans offer to Walter. I think he will turn out to be a big piece of the receiving puzzle for us. We can probably resign Gaffney way cheaper than Givens. Kubiak can most likely get a whole lot more out of Gaffney than Capers ever did. That is probably true for every player on this team now that they are out of the worst designed and coached offense and defense in the nfl.

Bongo59
03-14-2006, 12:10 PM
Until Givens signs he still a FA...this guy has been signed by more teams than any other player this FA period!It is now a done deal................Press conference at 11 AM.

sprtsfanatic
03-14-2006, 12:22 PM
with which team??? I heard something on cold pizza this morning and I thought they said Texans, but it could have been Titans...i was in another room and couldnt hear the set very well...can someone clear this up with a link???

TexansFanatic
03-14-2006, 12:38 PM
Titans to announce deal with David Givens:

http://www.dicksonherald.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060314/SPORTS01/60314001

TommyS
03-14-2006, 12:43 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2368161

well, he'll be in the AFC south at least...
sorry, didnt see this on the other thread until after i posted. pls delete. thanks

aj.
03-14-2006, 12:47 PM
Yep ... glad the Charley kept his senses for once.

5/24 and 8 is stupid money for that guy, but when you have next to nothing at WR and there's no AJ or Braylon Edwards sitting there to be had at #3 then you don't have much choice I guess...

Givens is barely a #2, much less a 1. This has Yancey II written all over it. I'm happy since it eats cap and really doesn't add a gamebreaker threat to their arsenal.

AUSTexan
03-14-2006, 12:48 PM
More confirmation on Givens:

GIVENS PICKS TITANS

Michael Smith of ESPN.com reports that former New England receiver David Givens has reached an agreement with the Tennessee Titans. Per Smith, Givens will receive an $8 million signing bonus.

He picked the Titans over the Patriots and Texans.

Givens also visited with the Dolphins, and the Panthers recently expressed interest.

On Friday night, a canned article announcing his acquisition by the Browns inadvertently was posted on the team's live site. On Sunday, The Houston Chronicle erroneously reported that Givens was re-signing with the Patriots. Both of these developments threw a wrench into his efforts to find a new home.

In Tennessee, Givens now has the opportunity to become the No. 1 wideout in Norm Chow's offense, which could soon feature Matt Leinart or Jay Cutler or Vince Young at quarterback.

POSTED 9:09 a.m. EST; UPDATED 10:44 a.m. EST, March 14, 2006

ESPN:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2368161

TEXANS84
03-14-2006, 12:49 PM
Smart move by Charlie, for once. Like aj said, 5/24 is ridiculous money for Givens. Pass and move on.

You gotta thank Reese for making a bad cap move there. Bongo can rip us for the Weaver signing $, but I'm curious to see what he's got to say about Givens (no Mason references allowed).

O.G.
03-14-2006, 12:51 PM
Beat me to it!

LINK (http://www.dicksonherald.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060314/SPORTS01/60314001)

Oh well the Titans can have him for that price.

I second that. I think Gaffney can do an above average job in the new offensive scheme and let's not forget about Derick Armstrong as well.

Texans Pride
03-14-2006, 12:51 PM
Good, now this thread can die!

Texans34Life
03-14-2006, 12:53 PM
We are still months and months away from the regular season. We have the draft and free agency still to pick up a quality receiver. Givens was just greedy....

Carr Bombed
03-14-2006, 12:58 PM
seems like the Titans weren't done, they just signed Kevin Mawae

http://www.titansradio.com/

aj.
03-14-2006, 01:04 PM
We are still months and months away from the regular season. We have the draft and free agency still to pick up a quality receiver. Givens was just greedy....

Not much WR talent in the draft this year - at least in the first couple rounds.

As far as UFAs, your looking at guys like Josh Reed, Jabar Gaffney, and Reche Caldwell as the 'best' talent remaining.

Porky
03-14-2006, 01:08 PM
They may hold onto him until they have to release him, but Eric Moulds is likely to be set free at some point as well. The top of the draft isn't very good for WR's, but in the 3rd and 4th rounds, there will be some good talent in there vis a vis their draft position.

I think we made a very fair offer to Givens, and if the Meatballs want to overpay, so be it. We consistently seem to overpay, so to me it's a nice change to draw a line in the sand, and let the twirp walk.

jerek
03-14-2006, 01:15 PM
We need to quit playing around and resign Gaffney already.

Trenches
03-14-2006, 01:16 PM
Not much WR talent in the draft this year - at least in the first couple rounds.

As far as UFAs, your looking at guys like Josh Reed, Jabar Gaffney, and Reche Caldwell as the 'best' talent remaining.

I was a big fan of Josh Reed as a #3. He was great until Price left. I like him as a player and would like to see hiim on the team but just not sure he is a fit. Honestly, its hard to believe that bringing in most any decent receiver wouldnt be an upgrade over what we've had.

Carr Bombed
03-14-2006, 01:17 PM
We need to quit playing around and resign Gaffney already. I agree, with Givens off the board teams are going to start taking a serious look at him