PDA

View Full Version : Owners / PA reach CBA agreement!

TMac48
03-08-2006, 08:44 PM
Per NFL Network. Details to come. So far all I know is that it's a 6 year extension.

Paragon Blue
03-08-2006, 08:45 PM
yeah:redtowel: :grouphug:

TexanFan881
03-08-2006, 08:49 PM
They made it sound as if teams had more money to spend, as if the salary cap is bigger now :um:

30 out of 32 teams accepted the agreement

TexanFan881
03-08-2006, 08:51 PM
They made it sound as if teams had more money to spend, as if the salary cap is bigger now :um:

30 out of 32 teams accepted the agreement

NFL | Owners approve new labor deal
Wed, 8 Mar 2006 17:41:25 -0800

ESPNews reports NFL owners have approved the NFLPA's offer for a new collective bargaining agreement. The extension will last six years and take the league through the 2012 season. It is unknown what the salary cap will be for the 2006 season, but it will be higher than the previously reported $94.5 million.

Grid
03-08-2006, 08:55 PM
Bengals and Bills were the two opposing teams.

gtexan02
03-08-2006, 08:55 PM
Official Link from Espn:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2360258

NFL owners approve six-year CBA extension
ESPN.com news services
click this

NFL owners have approved a six-year extension of the collective bargaining agreement by a vote of 30-2 Wednesday night.

Buffalo and Cincinnati were the two teams to vote against the proposal, according to ESPN's Chris Mortensen.

ESPNEWS reports that Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones briefly left the owners' meeting shortly before the 8 p.m. deadline the owners set to decide on the extension and told the waiting throng of reporters that owners were "getting close, getting close," but that it would take about "30 minutes" before anything was known. Jones did not offer any other details.

Earlier Wednesday, the NFL moved back the waiver deadline for teams to get below the salary cap from 9 p.m. ET Wednesday to 11 p.m. ET.

Free agency is set to begin at 12:01 a.m. ET Thursday.

The Dude Abides
03-08-2006, 08:59 PM
Screw Cincy and Buffalo!:redtowel:

Kaiser Toro
03-08-2006, 09:01 PM
Free Agency begins in 3 hours. :redtowel:

The Dude Abides
03-08-2006, 09:03 PM
Free Agency begins in 3 hours. :redtowel:

I thought it was getting pushed back a day if they came to an agreement? Or did I get it backwards.

Grid
03-08-2006, 09:09 PM
yep..it got pushed back to 12:01am March 10th.

so.. tomorrow night.

The Dude Abides
03-08-2006, 09:12 PM
Anybody know how much we will be under the cap now after the extension and McKinney's Restructure? Or at least an estimate?

Jags&Dawgs
03-08-2006, 09:16 PM
Bout time that is for sure.

edo783
03-08-2006, 09:37 PM
Anybody know how much we will be under the cap now after the extension and McKinney's Restructure? Or at least an estimate?

Total WAG on my part here but:

We were ~ 8 Mill under + 2 Mill more from McKinny + ~ 10 Mill increase = somewhere around 20 Mill. Of which we will need to keep bout 5 mill to sign the rookies. If I am even remotly close,looks like about 15 mill for FA.

The new cap is supposed to be a little over 104 Mill.

the wonger need food
03-08-2006, 09:45 PM
Now that the labor agreement has been approved, what does this mean to the Texans? What will next year's cap be and how far under that number are we?

Grid
03-08-2006, 10:08 PM
im hearing 102mil for this year, 109mil in 2007.

So that would put us at about 18 million under.

Porky
03-08-2006, 10:09 PM
Total WAG on my part here but:

We were ~ 8 Mill under + 2 Mill more from McKinny + ~ 10 Mill increase = somewhere around 20 Mill. Of which we will need to keep bout 5 mill to sign the rookies. If I am even remotly close,looks like about 15 mill for FA.

The new cap is supposed to be a little over 104 Mill.

Not sure where you are getting the 8 mil from. I had heard about 4 mil under. The cap is going up to 102 mil, so that's another 8 mil, plus about 2 mil for Mckinney. By my calculations, that would leave us roughly 14 mil under the cap. Plenty of room to sign the rooks and a couple of good FA.

Texans Pride
03-08-2006, 10:10 PM
yep..it got pushed back to 12:01am March 10th.

so.. tomorrow night.

What is the reasoning to push it back?

Grid
03-08-2006, 10:17 PM
well they JUST reached the deal... they need a moment to prepare.. find out what the cap is, so on and so forth.

MorKnolle
03-08-2006, 10:21 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2360258

Confirmed that the cap for 2006 will be $102 million, so we have more available spending money, but so does every other team in the league. It will also result in a lot less players getting released too, but at least sanity has been restored and we have a guarantee of NFL play for the next six years, so I can sleep much better now.

TexanFan881
03-08-2006, 10:47 PM
They're trying to push it back to Saturday morning instead of Friday morning

sk8termom
03-08-2006, 10:51 PM
Sorry for posting here... but our board is down (as usual!) and the Texans are my #2 team. I'm so thankful that this all worked out! really didn't think this was going to happen.

edo783
03-08-2006, 10:59 PM
Not sure where you are getting the 8 mil from. I had heard about 4 mil under. The cap is going up to 102 mil, so that's another 8 mil, plus about 2 mil for Mckinney. By my calculations, that would leave us roughly 14 mil under the cap. Plenty of room to sign the rooks and a couple of good FA.

If I remember where I got it correctly it was from HPF. A combination of original under and the savings from the cuts (I believe Walkers was part of it). When the news first came through, ESPN news was reporting the new cap would be a little over 104, but it looks like the better number is now 102. Still makes us at 18 Mill under with around 14 mill to work on FAs with. This is of course assuming I am even REMOTLY correct on my guesses. With that to work with, should be able to a couple of pretty good FAs.

MorKnolle
03-08-2006, 11:24 PM
If I remember where I got it correctly it was from HPF. A combination of original under and the savings from the cuts (I believe Walkers was part of it). When the news first came through, ESPN news was reporting the new cap would be a little over 104, but it looks like the better number is now 102. Still makes us at 18 Mill under with around 14 mill to work on FAs with. This is of course assuming I am even REMOTLY correct on my guesses. With that to work with, should be able to a couple of pretty good FAs.

Unfortunately every other team is given an extra $8 million too, so less players will hit the free agent market, and every other team will have more money to spend as well, so I'm not sure if that will help or hurt our chances of landing any good free agents, probably will hurt it if anything. I'm really hoping between free agency and the draft we will find 6-7 new starting-quality players this offseason (hopefully one offense and one defense free agent like they've been doing (or more if they can find them), but getting good players this time around, and then finding at least 4 starters in the draft (#s 1, 33, 65, and 66 should all yield starting-quality players, and if we can get a trade-down we should be able to add another pick and quality player in there too), then maybe hit a great find in the 2nd day of the draft.

dat_boy_yec
03-08-2006, 11:32 PM
Sorry for posting here... but our board is down (as usual!) and the Texans are my #2 team. I'm so thankful that this all worked out! really didn't think this was going to happen.

No need for apologies, sorry to hear your boards down. Not really it saves me the time of checking it out myself, the Steelers are my #2 team. I think everybody feels the same way. I'm thankful as well.

Sarg01
03-08-2006, 11:43 PM
It's good news, but I WAS kinda looking forward to seeing the Redskins have to start 20 rookies next year ...

sk8termom
03-08-2006, 11:44 PM
No need for apologies, sorry to hear your boards down. Not really it saves me the time of checking it out myself, the Steelers are my #2 team. I think everybody feels the same way. I'm thankful as well.

Thanks for your understanding - and I'm looking forward to the Texans doing a lot better this year!

MorKnolle
03-08-2006, 11:57 PM
Now that the labor agreement has been approved, what does this mean to the Texans? What will next year's cap be and how far under that number are we?

According to HoustonProFootball.com:

http://www.houstonprofootball.com/cap.html

From their estimates, the Texans are $12.6 million under the $94.5 million cap, so they will be $20 million under the new cap, plus they haven't changed McKinney's deal around yet, so since that is supposed to save $2.2 million that would leave us about $22 million under the new cap. I've also heard speculation that Gary Walker will be cut after the June 1st deadline so his cap hit will be spread out over two years, which will end up savins us an additional $2-$2.5 million as well against the 2006 cap, so we could be $25 million under the cap, which is a good amount of room to sign a few nice free agents.

Kaiser Toro
03-10-2006, 11:36 AM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/03/09/AR2006030902123.html

*The NFL Players Association managed to ensure in the sport's new labor deal that no player will be punished in the foreseeable future the same way that wide receiver Terrell Owens was sanctioned by the Philadelphia Eagles this past season.

*The new labor deal also prohibits teams from forcing players to return portions of their signing bonuses for misbehavior, according to the union.

*The owners and the union formally closed the Maurice Clarett loophole, inserting a provision into the new labor deal that a player must be at least three years removed from high school to be eligible for the NFL draft, Berthelsen said.